Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

A: cloudy honey gold color with a peach like fuzzy look to it. The beer captures a decent head that really sticks to the glass and helps release the aroma.
S: Smells like peach tea, very natural and sweet with some notes of malt and fresh fruit.
T: Tastes like a fuzzy peach tea. The beer really has a good balance of sweetness while maintaining the bitter characteristics of a beer. Very vegetale.
D/O: Slightly heavy for a summer beer but very drinkable This manages to balance the beer/fruit thing very well while not turning into a flavored malt beverage. Very enjoyable beer for summer. (591 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +7.9%

I haven't had this beer by itself, so I can't properly review it by its own merits. However, I feel that I would be remiss if I didn't suggest this:

Mix half and half Son Of A Peach and a Milk Stout (I had Duck Rabbit). What results is just the smoothest, maltiest, creamiest, peachy, mocha flavor. Highly Recommended. I typically do not enjoy a fruity beer, but another patron insisted that I try it, and even offered to pay for it if I didn't enjoy it. (455 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +7.9%

- from the notes
12 ounce bottles
A - barely a head on an amber liquid filled glass.
S - peaches and wheat.
T - peachy sweet wheat with a slight twang.
M - light bodied with a crisp carbonation and somewhat dry finish although I did expect it to be sweeter at the back end.
D - very drinkable if you like fruit beers and in particular peaches. (343 characters)

On tap at TJ's, 4/2/11.

A-A clear orange amber with a thin white head and no lacing.

S-Sweet peaches, a bit of sweet syrup and fruit jiuce and some very subdued wheat.

T-Slightly dry maltiness with some good sweet peach flavor. Easy to drink, rather light.

O-As fruit beers go, this one is pretty nice. Pleasant in a lawnmowery sort of way.

HV (348 characters)

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Third in the RJ Rockers variety case.
A- This looks just like a glass of unpasteurized apple cider. Brownish -yellow, no carbonation, cloudy and no head.
S- Heavy peach aroma, not like a fresh peach more like sweet peach candy.
T- Strong peach aroma is not as strong in the flavor, however it does win out over the dull American wheat flavor I'm never real fond of. The peach flavor does hang around well after drinking, nice aftertaste.
MO- As far a fruit beers go this one is pretty good, a nice change of pace. I don't know if I would go looking for another one though. (572 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours hazy orange in body with fading white foamy head. Sweet aroma of peaches and fruit juice. I'm yearning for some malt or hop complexity with this aroma. Astringent flavors of peaches, peach skin, vanilla extract, and then the hops I'd hoped for in the aroma make an unwelcomed appearance; bitter and strange. Then the drink tries to finish with peach syrup but it's too much of a turn around from the hops. Light-medium bodied with light carbonation. A drink with no direction and strange, acrid flavors. (509 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Orange with a one finger off white head and LOTS of yeast. This isn't cloudy, this is full of particulate. Not a fan for a fruit beer, but if it's a wheat beer, maybe.

S: Strong on the peaches. Which isn't bad, they smell somewhat natural. However, that's pretty much all there is to this beer, which I don't like, but I suppose that's what they're going for.

T: Again, peaches, but pretty natural. Still, I want more depth and variety.

M: Good, actually, smooth but maybe a little too creamy.

D: The peach is just too much for me. I can't take a whole glass of it. (572 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +11.2%

12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker pint. A hazy dull body is topped with just a wispy notion of a head that does manage to leave scattered specks of lacing.

Smells almost exactly like peach pie, but not nearly as sweet as the dessert. The peach presence is persistent but not powerful, a surpisingly nice complement to the base beer. Medium bodied with very modest carbonation; this seems to be the best choice to let the sublteties of the peaches shine through. A brief bite of wheat in the finish. Light toasted and peach notes linger. Fresh and flavorful.

Overall impression: A refreshing and unique take on the style. Easily recommended. (646 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%

Growler filled at Total Wine in Greenville, SC for ~$10

A: Pours a cloudy peach color. The head is pretty nice, fluffy and retains well.

S: Over-ripe peach and other orchard fruit, lots of wheat and earthy notes. Slight spices as well.

T: Well, definitely peachy. Wheat notes shine, along with an underlying sweetness from the other fruits involved. The best way I can describe the flavor is "peach flavored Playdough." Its not bad, just not balanced at all, with little to no hop profile.

MF/D: Mouthfeel is good, carbonation is a little prickly, but manageable. The finish is peach flavored Playdough with a big sweetness. I kind of regret getting a growler of this, even with 3 people sharing it. A bottle or two would be better.

Notes: I do like peaches a lot, but this beer is straight up peaches with a huge sweetness. If more hops and malts were added to the equation, this would be a much better example. Good, but not balanced enough (948 characters)

3.65/5  rDev 0%

A - Poured out a very clear, golden/orange color with a little white head. It left little to no lace.

S - It smelled of peach and wheat. Strong on the peach.

T - Nice balance of peach and wheat. Very sweet with little spice or yeastiness.

M - It was crisp and very sharp. A light bodied ale with a dry finish.

D - This is an okay wheat ale. The peach isn't overpowering like some fruit wheats can be. (404 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -14.5%

A - A fingers worth of slightly fizzy white head that is sa bit creamy and mixed with big chunky bubbles... Moderate retention gives way to a splotchy lace with a collar around the glass... A deeply hazed murky light auburn color... Trace carbonation rises throughout...

S - A terrific mixture of fresh and canned peaches... Apricot... Honeydew... Some very light candied sugars... Fresh baked donuts... Hints of wheat... A tad bit on the musky side... Seems odd, but I'm picking up minor notes of coffee and vanilla...

T - A mix of unripe peach and canned peaches... Grass and wheat notes... Slightly medicinal... Notes of vanilla... Shortbread...

M - Medium bodied... Slightly fizzy... Oddly astringent... A bit chalky... A bit of a dry finish... A slightly pasty coating lingers in the mouth...

D - This one starts out strong in terms of appearance and smell, but quickly goes down hill thereafter... This one seems a bit forced and I'm not sure I would accept an invitation to drink this again in the future... (1,022 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%

Another bottle from and another nod to: JohnQVegas. Thanks Dustin-- you have been an excellent off-season pickup and I'm glad to have added you to my trading team.

This pours.... oddly enough, kind of peach colored. Nearly white head is thin with really fine bubbles and a sparkley lacing. Some sediment on the bottom-- little dark dots, like ground up vanilla beans.

The first sip is very unsettling. It made me not want to take another. Once I got past that first sip though, I wam surprised how easy drinking this it.

Smells of peaches and apricots... actually reminds me of Jolly Rancher candies. After a few more sips, all I smell are those gummy peaches-- Peachy-Os I think they are called. This smells AMAZING now that it opened up a little. Wow. I'm loving that smell--- too bad this is categorized a pale wheat instead of a fruit beer.

I didn't really like this at first, but it has grown on me. The feel is certainly decent. I'm not the biggest fan of peach flavor, but this isn't too bad. This is really easy drinking despite the giant sweetness that creeps up on me. I do wish this had a little tartness to it to cut through the sweet, but alas... I guess I just need to buy some more Festina Peche. (1,215 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +10.1%

This is a hopeful fruit beer thanks to kkipple.

A: Pours a light fizzy head over a hazy peach auburn amber colored beer.

N: Wow peach! It has canned peach at first, then some fresh juicy peach, some sweetness, peach juice, a slight hint of wheat, and I think a very slight hint of grassy hops. As it warms a bit I'm starting to get a little vanilla... weird.

T: Starts different than I expected. It has a toasty malted wheat flavor right off the bat. Some sweet thick piled wheat, with a slight germination taste. Also a slight bitterness with a hint of grassy hops and very slight earthy bitter hop taste that doesn't blend well with the rest of the flavors. Then the juicy peaches, with more juice and some sweetness, light fresh juicy peach, canned peaches, and the syrup from the canned peaches. Very refreshing though. I also get some vanilla, which is strange.

M: Lighter body with lower but decent carbonation.

F: Finishes semi bitter with more hops attacking. Grassy and earthy hops with a slight floral hop flavor. Most of the hops go well, but there's a slight unpleasant hop bitterness almost like hop extract that doesn't play well with others. It is mostly dry at this point as well, but has a slight sticky lingering sweetness like the syrup from canned peaches. Most of the peach flavor is gone as well but hints of remnants that I just chewed on peaches, but without skins and threads stuck in my teeth. Very crisp and refreshing beer, and the peaches are all up in your grill on the nose, but more subtle and juicy on the taste and even more so on the finish. So the nose is really where I would like overpowered peaches, and def not on the flavor so they hit that well. (1,692 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +21.9%

A: Ultra cloudy, honey-straw color. Looks like unfiltered apple cider from a roadside stand. A thin tan film of foam with no lacing.

A: PEACHES!

T&M: Light bodied. Peaches all the way. Some underlying wheat and malt. Very nice peach wheat ale. Fresh peaches undoubtedly.

I don't necesarily enjoy peaches, but this is not over the top or under the radar. It is what it is and an excellent recipe! (399 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +21.1%

One of the pleasant surprises of my first trip to the Myrtle, SC area. The basket of peaches we picked up at the flea market was good too!

Appearance - a very cloudy, dare I say 'fuzzy' pour. Peachy color for sure, a finger of flat-white foam.

Aroma - pure peach. Intense, fruity and fresh. Good stuff.

Taste - a fair but negligible base malt, some grainy sweetness. Nearly no identity to it though, as the sweet peach flavor is fairly immediate and dominating. The peach flavor is on the sweeter side but with lots of supporting fruitiness. A nice bit of hop balance on the swallow, and the peach stays to the very end.

Mouthfeel - smooth stuff, not too heavy, modestly carbonated.

Drinkability - a fine summer brew, very smooth and easy to knock back. Popular with all but the the most diligent of fruit beer nazis, lol. (827 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Bright orange pour with very little white head as well as little lacing. Definitely unfiltered ... which I liked. You can see lots of little floaties.

S: Didn't get a ton peach right up front which I was surprised to find. I think if I had let it warm just a tad I probably would have gotten a bit more peach scent.

T: This is where the peach shines through. From the second it touched my tongue until it went down the pipe I got smacked in the face with peaches.

D: I really enjoy this beer in the midst of a blazing summer day. It's refreshing and very tasty. (569 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

Served in an Ayinger weizen glass.

That peach looks awfully mean. Still, this beer pours a cloudy orange (almost axactly like the meat of the color's eponymous fruit) topped by a half-finger of white micro-foam. The nose comprises peach (bestill my shocked heart), wheat (whoa now, more surprises?), and a nice, creamy vanilla. The taste holds notes of wheat, rice, peach skin, and a vanilla-esque cream. Honestly, I was hoping for a bit more peachiness, but at least they didn't go overboard (I guess). The body is light, with moderate carbonation and a slightly grainy feel. One of the better fruity wheats I've yet had. (623 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

On tap at Mellow Mushroom in Blowing Rock, NC

Appearance: Cloudy pale/peach straw with an off-white head

Smell: Peaches and and light wheat; a bit girly but nice

Taste: Wheat and slightly tart peaches

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation

Drinkability: Had several of these, served in mason jars, very tasty and very drinkable. Crisp, clean, and refreshing. It is peach season here. (392 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -9%

From 6/3/10 notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a very murky brown-golden color with little off white head and little carbonation.

s - Smells very strongly of sweet peaches. Not too much else going on here.

t - Tastes of sweet peaches, fruity malts, and sugar. Way too sweet.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - Ok, but too sweet for me. If you like peaches and sweet, fruity beers you might like this one. Wouldn't really look to try again. (479 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Was glad to finally be able to get this without having to purchase the "Box of Rocks."

Appropriate peach-colored pour. Small white head quickly fades to just a ring. Not much going on in the lacing department.

Smells just like peaches, which shouldn't be much of a shock. Huge bonus for not smelling artificial at all. Son of a Peach smells like a peach, right down to the fuzz. I really enjoy peaches, but hate most peach-flavored things because they're artificially flavored and gross.

Luckily, I don't feel that way at all about Son of a Peach. This is good, natural peach flavor. There's some wheat-y tartness as well. Not a whole lot of lasting flavor.

Medium bodied. More heft than I would have guessed. Low carbonation. Kind of slick texture. Great summer beer. Some good flavor, and a very easy drinker. Of course, I'd expect no less from a beer brewed in South Carolina, the real Peach State. Suck one, Georgia. (964 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -25.2%

Served from tap into a standard pint. Poured a yellow-orange with one-finger white head that reduces and stays throughout. Maintains decent lacing. The aroma of this one is dominated by peaches. The flavor starts out with subtle peach with some grainy notes with the peaches intensifying upon swallowing. Overall, this is not my favorite beer from the RJ Rockers brewery. Has a nice peach followup that is quite crisp, but also has a poor flavor up front. It is not horrible, but I am not a fan. (495 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

Bottle into pint glass, from CBX.

Pours murky golden-orange, thin off-white head disappears fairly quickly into nothing.

Nose is all peaches, with an in-heavy-syrup type sweetness that's disconcertingly sugary. That's really about it, leaving me initially wondering whty this wasn't classified as a Fruit/Vegetable Beer. It's intriguingly intense, if a bit one-dimensional.

Taste is more two-dimensional, but I don't know that that's a good thing. Flavor is just dripping with peaches up front, but lacks entirely the sweetness promised in the nose. Instead, a thin but persistent bitterness towards the finish leaves the peaches tasting out of place. There may be light hints of wheat coming through, especially right at the beginning of the finish, but it's largely all peaches (some nicely authentic, some weirdly artificial) from front to back, with almost no real sweetness, which is where this falls apart. I obviously don't want it to be cloyingly sweet, I just want it to be less bitter and artificial on the finish.

Mouthfeel is thin, light but spritely carbonation, awkward bitterness on the finish.

Drinkability is pretty low for me. If you're going to do a fruit beer, do it right - see New Glarus. This is a mediocre attempt at best in my opinion. (1,268 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Thanks to gn0sis for this! Poured into a pint glass, I think there is a freshness date on this bottle, and if I read it correctly this bottle is a little past, but I am not sure what the number refers to.

A: Despite my best efforts to keep the pour small, this beer produced half a glass of head... a little over carbonated. Head is yellow rocky foam, laces minimally and retains fairly well. Body is muddy yellow and murky. Some swirling later on revives a full two fingers of rocky head. Impressive.

S: Almost all sweet peaches in this nose, with some mild wheat/grain on the side. Smells like cold peach pie filling.

T: Rather weak, but what is here takes the form of peaches (a nice sweet peach flavor), light wheat tones and some malt. A little hop bitterness is present, but it doesn't unbalance anything. Straightforward.

M: I find this to be way overly carbonated to a laughable extent. The flavors are very masked by all the carbonation burn, and I can barely distinguish a mouthfeel other than bubbles. Some warming and good deal of swirling later this beer gets a little better in this department, with a lighter body and more balanced carbonation.

D: If you get get rid of some of the carbonation this beer gets very drinkable. Right after the poor however, it was more like store-brand diet sprite- so many bubbles it was hard to drink.

Overall: Other than the over-carbonation, this is an alright American Pale Wheat ale, and the peaches make it especially light and refreshing, though it lacks some of the toasty rich malts I have seen elsewhere in this style. This would be nice with lunch on a hot humid day in the South. The billowy head was quite nice as well and worth noting. (1,702 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured into a pint glass on 4/11/10

Appears to be dated 9/11/09

Thanks to smutty33 for an obscure & enjoyable extra

What an interesting show pouring this beer was. As the glass filled with lightly-hued golden yellow I wondered just what I might be getting into. I gave the bottle the old swirl & dumped in a large amount of decidedly darker liquid. Said liquid murkily blended with the clearer beer, turning it into a dense, hazy & somewhat muted concoction a la pineapple juice or some unfiltered fruit smoothie. The one finger head dissipated after a few minutes leaving a thin skim for retention. Lacing is alright.

The aroma is no less interesting. Indeed, peaches are in no short supply. On one hand, it seems juicy with a touch of alcohol. On the other, it seems almost like an orange-sicle frozen snack treat you'd get from an ice cream truck; only done up in peach instead of orange. Wheat notes become more apparent with warmth as do a few bready yeast undertones. Another odd element of the nose is how much each ingredient is appreciable at any point in time (especially the peaches) - sometimes it seems airy, other times somewhat dense.

The taste, based on the nose, isn't at all surprising. Peach notes aplenty set atop a reasonably sturdy back drop of wheat & toasty malts. While that sums it up in sparse details, the overall impression of the beer is much more than the previous sentence suggests. All at once it seems: kind of like beer; kind of not like beer; a little like a healthy fruit blend; somewhat dessert-like; a little natural & a tad artificial. I really don't know what this beer -should- taste like; all I know is that I rather like it as a change of pace.

Son of a peach is essentially medium bodied. While the carbonation offers a mild prickliness upfront, it's fairly tame on the whole which brings out the best in the flavors, I think. It does seem like a slow moving beer - it moves slowly on the palate, in no hurry to leave. Wheat notes & a mild juiciness linger on the finish.

I'm not sure this is entirely indicative of the drinkability but after finishing the bottle I found myself wanting more - if only to further figure out what the heck is going on with this beer. With all honesty I can say I've never had a beer quite like it. I really can't imagine it would something I'd drink frequently, but I'd like to give it another shot sometime. Recommended for the oddity factor alone. (2,435 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a muddy orange color and a thick, cloudy consistency. There was a thin, foamy head that quickly dissipated and average lacing.

S: Smelled of peaches and a little note of wheat.

T: Like the smell, peaches dominated the flavor. Had a slight taste of wheat, but not much else. Reminded me more of a fruit/vegetable beer than an American pale wheat ale.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a somewhat oily finish. Light-bodied.

D: A lightweight, drinkable beer, but not something I'd return to. (542 characters)

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company