Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

RJ Rockers Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009)
4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

Yelnum, May 30, 2012

PatDow, Mar 17, 2013

jyoung2012, Feb 21, 2014

Runningonempty, Jun 22, 2014

madatr, Jun 18, 2013

beehivechaos311, Apr 25, 2013

Poured a hazy orange/honey color with a good amount of sediment floating around. Thin white head. Too thin. Strong aroma of sweet peaches. Taste is mostly of peaches as well, but from a can. The kind you would taste with all the syrup. There are some bitter hops in the finish which combine weirdly with the peach flavors.

EJ6759, Jun 20, 2011

Nattybrah123, Aug 08, 2012

SteeBfranchise, Nov 24, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +25.1%

Finally able to try this one on tap and was very excited. I've reviewd a couple Rockers brews before, and since they are my local beer I may be a little biased, but this one was really unique. It has a cloudy color, obviously unfiltered; I'd compare its appearance to an apple cider (which was cool). Aroma is full of peaches. I've tried a lot of fruit beers (namely blueberry ales) that smell "fake", but this aroma seems really authentic. Taste has a little peach to it, but not as much as you would expect going off the aroma. Just a little bit alcohol as well which I didn't expect. I'm told the abv is 5.8%. Overall a very refreshing, interesting beer and one that I plan on drinking by the 6 pack over the summer. Can't wait for its release in bottles.

woodjm, Mar 26, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +20.1%

JSisk, Jun 17, 2013

Tatara, Aug 12, 2014

DubleAs, Jun 19, 2012

shlub, Jul 05, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +28.5%

This beer "technically" hasn't been released yet, but I've managed to get my hands on it twice so far. Once from the tasting wall at the brewery, and once from a limited trial at Terry's a couple weeks ago. I know I've said Buckwheat was my favorite by RJR, and since I've only tried Son of a Peach twice I'm not going to refute that right now, but let's just say I am EAGERLY anticipating the release of this one! It pours a cloudy peach color with very little head. Aroma is dominated by peach which I think makes it seem like you taste more peach than you actually do. Not sure how or when they added peaches during the process, but it's certainly a unique blend of aroma and taste. This one is not overly sweet at all, especially for a fruit beer. There is a little sweetness at the end, but certainly a beer you could continuously down. Carbonation levels leave this beer crisp and refreshing. I'm sure there are some beer geeks out there that won't give this one a fair shake, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice job!!!

southernbelle09, Mar 02, 2009

JanisK, Apr 28, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

AceBeerGrowlers, Feb 10, 2014

ChrisRoemer, Jun 27, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

ECUPirate09, Jan 28, 2014

Smells more powerfully peachy than it tastes (which in this case is good)
Taste is pretty good balance of fruit and wheat
Overall I think it is an excellent departure of the norm since I typically don't do fruity beers.

Donimal, Tuesday at 04:24 AM
4.53/5  rDev +28%

SouthernBelle reviewed this one saying that some beer geeks out here may not give this a fair shake. Well, I'm a beer geek, a brewer, a BJCP certified judge, and a beer lover, and I'm about to give this one a very fair shake!

I had three bottles of this beer bottled from a keg of the second batch. I managed to stretch them over three days in order to be sure that my mood at the moment of tasting did not control my impressions. The following observations are an amalgam of those three tastings. One quick note: although at the time of this review the listing on BA categorizes this beer as an American Pale Ale, it is actually an American Pale Wheat Ale (according to the brewer and my taste buds). BA should probably fix this, but you need to understand that going into the review.

Appearance: excellent color (probably in the 3 to 6 SRM range), and a delicate white head. I believe this is an unfiltered product, and had the characteristic cloudiness of a wheat-based fruit beer.

Aroma: peach, peach, peach. The wheat beer that forms the base of this offering is present as an American wheat beer and so does not produce the esters and aromatics of its German cousins. The aroma is very clean, with the peach also displaying mango, pineapple, and apricot undertones. The hops are subdued in the aroma to allow the fruit to blossom. No diacetyl noticeable.

Flavor: again, the peach is up front on the palate, followed by a pleasant sweetness and the graininess of the wheat beer. The IBUs could be slightly higher to counter the sweet, but it is not out of balance as is. What is most important here is that the fruit and the underlying wheat beer are in excellent balance -- the fruit is not cloying, but it is very much present in harmony with the wheat. There is very little malitness, alcohol, or diacetyl present to distract the attention from the fruit and wheat.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body; carbonation level is present by not explosive. No alcohol warming.

Overall Impression: we have here a harmonious marriage of fruit and beer. The choice of peach is the perfect compliment to the American wheat beer, and it is well-presented. Perfect spring and summer beer.

anexetastos, Mar 05, 2009

JasonLRose, Jul 20, 2012

Lpfanatic87, Jun 11, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -35.6%

This is what happens when you try to get cute with beer. I had such high hopes for this stuff. Heard it was the iconic beer of RJ Rockers. Looked great. Smelled great. Everything seemed to be going well until I took that first sip then . . . . I'm not sure what they have done to this beer. The peach flavoring must come from the peach pit. It doesn't taste much like peaches. As much as it pains me to say it, Bud Light Lime is much better. I'm just thankful I didn't buy a growler of it.

ChuckMartel, Sep 03, 2011