Tell Tale Heart IPA - B.W. Beer Works USA

Tell Tale Heart IPATell Tale Heart IPA

B.W. Beer Works USA visit their website
Maryland, United States

Beer added by: AdamBear on 02-28-2013

Your first experience with this IPA is the citrus bouquet from its rocky white head. The initial taste is subdued but gradually becomes intense without any harsh bitterness. The Heartier the Better.

Formerly called "Tell Tale Heart Ale".
to view more.
Ratings: 157 | Reviews: 37
Reviews by pacino77:
2.5/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

just simply not a fan

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Had this tonight for the first time in memory of Chuck Leayman at the Fridge in Lancaster. A touch darker than typical IPA appearance, which I like. IPA taste of course, but with a tang that reminded me of the seed stuck in my tooth after eating pumpernickel bread this morning- another patron noted that this was likely caraway . This also added a unique spicy note. Carawa/ odd grain-tangy note didn't really move me one way or the other, but it definitely gives this beer a distinctive flavor. Average IPA with something unique but neutral thrown in.

12oz bottle. Pours a clear copper with a smooth finger of creamy off-white head. This soaps the sides of the glass with thick sticky lacing. The aroma smells floral and piney with a fresh green citrus character and a touch of spice. Light herbal and tropical flavors hang on the edges, where they mingle with a mix of bread and caramel from the malts. The hops have a nice fresh power to them in the nostrils. The taste is similar, with a fresh and zesty citric bite, while dank herbal, sweeter tropical and tangy malt flavors run throughout. Resins and spice linger in the finish. Feel is medium bodied with a soft, creamy and even a bit oily carbonation that is extremely smooth feeling. This was a pleasant surprise and it’s nice to see another well-made and local IPA on the market. I’ll definitely be returning to this.

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap in a pint glass. Might have been served a little bit colder than I would have liked.

Appearance: Definitely much darker than I would have expected for an IPA. Amber brownish.

Smell: Some citrus but mainly guava and tropical fruit, some malt sweetness.

Taste: mango, cracker maltiness, citrus, pine

Mouthfeel: thick carbonation with a touch of creaminess.

Overall: Pretty solid IPA. Definitely one of the least hoppy IPA's I have had although a very solid beer and would drink it again.

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a single mix a sixer into a pint glass.

Pours medium colored orange copper with heady layer of white foam. Bready nose, malty. Really strong bitter pops out and eases into citrussy lemon light flavor. Chewy pine bitter holds afterwards. Overall a good flavored IPA with a nice hop kick.

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, citrus, some pine. Taste is good, piney hops, some citrus, a bit of malt, lots of flavor here. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall this is a quality and refreshing beer.

3.39/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured on-tap into shaker pint.
A: Pours a clear amber hue with 1/2 inch off white head. Good retention.
S: Strong citrus hop aroma (orange, grapefruit, and passion fruit) with a moderate amount of caramel malt.
T: More sweet caramel malt here than in aroma...if anything it overpowers the citrus hop notes too much.
M: Light-medium feel. Soft and oily feel. Sweet malt with a bitter dry finish. Off balance...needs to dial back the malt and up the hops.
D: Needs some tweaking, but I do like the hop notes.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This one looks all over the place in reviews. Maybe there's a lot of older, not so fresh ones out there? Dunno, but the one I experienced actually shocked me.

Typically when I pick up an IPA that hasn't received a ton of lip, I expect a biscuit or watery or wickedly off-balanced drain pour. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised right from the pour. Coppery orange under a very professional grade crème colored head with champion level lacing that stayed present throughout. Nose was a little faint but what piled through the head was piney, grassy and a touch citrusy. First pull presented the same very solid grassiness that was present in the aroma. Balance was good and finished a touch piney.

My only knock on this was a bit of a cloying sweetness on the tongue that hung around for a bit. Otherwise, I'd be more than happy to have this one again.

4.9/5  rDev +27.6%

This is my favorite local brew.

2.95/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

L:
-pours a clear copper-brown with a big frothy beige head
-high carbonation visible
-great retension
S:
-grainy,grassy,malty,caramel
T:
-Follows the nose plus spices,slightly zesty with a dry,resiny finish
F:
high carbonation,medium body,no alcohol detectable
O:
I found this too malty for an IPA.
as a Fan of fruity IPA variants this didnt do it for me

3.64/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - pretty copper color with a decent white head.
Smell - lightly fruity, pleasant and not overpowering.
Taste - pleasant bitterness, good hop flavor, all around as an IPA should be. Very nice, glad to see such quality out of a relatively new brewery.

3.04/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Just not at all balanced. Way to much bitter on the finish for the lack of flavor and medium ABV. Did not work.

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Tap at a pub in Baltimore but I forget which one.

Nice creamy fizzy head, light lacing, clear honey orange color

Nose nice floral fruity hops, light grassy hops too, hint of malt, little fruity slight tropical fruit

Taste light fruity hops, big malts sweet candy like malts light toasty caramel, fair spicy hop bitterness, earthy chewy hops, grainy earthy malt thing too. Finish is semi sweet sticky, caramel malty grainy flavors, long fairly bitter spicy earthy hop lingering.

Mouth is med bod, decent carb

Overall not bad, nice nose but the hops turns a bit boring on the flavor. Nice bitterness, decent beer.

4.84/5  rDev +26%

I am really digging these guys' beers and since The Friendly Greek allows me to purchase singles in addition to mixed sixes, I am now on a mission.

From the bottle: "It never skips a beat."; "'I paced the floor to and fro ... but the noise steadily increased ... I must scream or die! ... and louder, louder, louder! 'Villains', I admit the deed! ... tear up the planks! ... here, here! - it is the beating of his hideous heart!'"; "The Tell Tale Heart, Edgar Allan Poe".

I was ready for a beer, and specifically an IPA after a tough morning campaigning, Nothing like a solid aggro pour ro get things started. The Old Lady took me to task during my visit as she feels it a) stirs up the lees and b) creates too much head. If the bottle reads "bottle-conditioned" or if I can see lees, I will employ a gentle pour. Her too much head = my release of esters for a better sense of the nose. Nothing wrong with head in my book and if it takes time to settle, then so be it. I am old and patient. Speaking of head, how does two dense, tawny fingers with great retention sound? It looked like the top of an ice cream float and French Vanilla and tawny are pretty close in my book, although tawny has a more orangish cast where French Vanilla is more yellow. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was reminiscent of taking hop cones in my hands and rubbing them together, releasing an oily, floral quality that can be difficult to describe. This was citrusy in an oily way that caused my mouth to begin slavering. Hophead Alert! I am more than a hophead. I am a hops junkie and while I (mostly) kicked the habit sometime back, beers like this make me pop with sweat in anticipation. I tied off, felt for the vein and then went for a deep, long draught before falling back in ecstasy. I felt a wash of caramel, grapefruit and anise/licorice over my lolling tongue as I struggled to untie the hose and remove the needle. The mouthfeel was thick and viscous and it lay on my tongue like it had passed out and it was up to me to send it on its way. Heavy, sticky lacing had already begun to appear in my glass and pink elephants began to appear in my kitchen. Say, who let Murph the Surf on my ceiling? Groovy, baby. Far out, man. Dig this heavy scene. Me and Ed were kickin' it, rapping about his lousy end and how I am ripping him off for an homage to The Old Lady entitled "Ms. Deborah Lee" as opposed to "Annabel Lee", but he nodded in assent. Soon, I was on the nod and the fuzz was banging on my door as I flopped around on the cold tile floor in a state of ecstasy that only humulus lupulus can bring me to. The stunning dryness of the finish left me gasping for breath, like a fish out of water or an asthmatic without his inhaler. The Old Lady keeps telling me that I am overdoing it with the inhaler bit anyway, so I am cutting back. On my asthma medicine. To what did you think that I was referring? Hops?!? Ha ha ha. I will give up my hoppy beers when they siphon them out of my cold, dead mouth.

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Consumed at NoBar in North Hollywood, CA on December 19th, 2013.

Beer is a clear golden/amber with a creamy, one finger off-white head. Awesome sheeting.

Aromas of pine and caramel malt.

Flavor is deceivingly balanced between moderately sweet caramel malt and restrained pine and pepper hop character. Slight alcohol flavor. Well modulated bitterness doesn't linger too long.

Mouthfeel is slightly creamy with a little prickly bite.

Nice to have a deceptively strong IPA with balance and drinkability.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Hey, this is a decent brew. This small brewery can kick out some decent beer. I had never heard of them and received the four Poe's as a gift. Well all I can say, is this is pretty good. Hoppy with a middle of the road malt backbone.

Bottom Line: Lets explore some more brews from these guys.

This is one of my favorite ipas of all time. I used to live in Baltimore and drank this about 4 time per week, I love it. Absolutely fantastic and well balanced ipa that is without a doubt worth a try if available.

3.51/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, no date

clear copper color, just a bit of white head. nice hop aroma - fruity and floral. taste is hop dominated, but still fairly balanced, neither too sweet nor too bitter. thinner body, medium carbonation.

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Great spring/summer IPA. A nice , easy drinking American IPA (unexpected lightness for a 7.2). Overall, could use a bit more complexity for a rich hop/malt experience---but in the hot months, such "bigness" isn't always desired. Recommended.

Classic American IPA- lots of C hops, smooth throughout, and strong without tasting alcohol-y

3.42/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

Quite a lovely shade of golden amber. Quite a lot of head with each pour, and the bubbles are like clusters of bees swarming in the tall glass. Swirls of foam as you sip. Pleasantly sudsy in the mouth. Interesting woodsy aroma with malt and flowers.

Malty and sweeter than a lot of IPAs. This makes me think of an Old Ale, with some of the tangy oxidized taste and a hint of butter. Some bitterness finally asserts itself after sipping awhile, and leaves a bitter aftertaste. Some woody and piney flavors linger. It's like this was aged in a cheap pine casket.

This is such a lovely brew to look at and to slosh around the tonsils, but it gets me in the back of the throat before long. From the 12 oz bottle purchased at Sunset Beer Company in Los Angeles.

3.81/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On cask. Medium brown. Nice dry hop aromas but the palate adds malt to the point of being sweet (sweet in an ipa is not my thing)

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a tall glass. no bottle dating that I could see.

Poured a beautiful coppery amber color with 2 fingers of foamy white head. Deent carbonation, good lacing. Head weakened but retained in some form to the end.

Got a good waft of hops from the nose.

Tasty beer indeed. The hops punch you around a bit, then a more citrusy wash, finished off with some calming mango at the end. How'd they do that?

Mouth was a bit above medium.

Enjoyed this one quite a bit. Went down really well too, a bit dangerous for a 7.25. Can certainly reccommend this one.

3.76/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear dark orange with a foamy tan head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with sweet malt and citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some nice citrus forward hop aromas but the flavor is a bit too sweet in my opinion.

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

Nice artwork.

Decent beer. Prevalent hop spice thing going on. Thicker malt body than I would hope for. Mildly leans towards pine. Not really enough though. Could stand some more punch. Nice enough drinker, though.

to view more.