Tell Tale Heart IPA - B.W. Beer Works USA

Tell Tale Heart IPATell Tale Heart IPA

B.W. Beer Works USA visit their website
Maryland, United States

Beer added by: AdamBear on 02-28-2013

Your first experience with this IPA is the citrus bouquet from its rocky white head. The initial taste is subdued but gradually becomes intense without any harsh bitterness. The Heartier the Better.

Formerly called "Tell Tale Heart Ale".
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.76/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a medium-deep gold color with a nice semi-off white head of a about 3 fingers. Head disappates very rapidly and leaves minimal lacing. Aroma is hoppy and full of citrus but seems to have a little background of something off, like metal or the likes, very faint, but it is there. Taste is full of hop bitterness, pineapple and I would guess there must be some Mosaic hops in ther, very distinct. Miuthfeel is good, slightly bitter, and beer has apretty clean finish....Overall, a very nice IPA, and one that is definitely worthy of being called such... (557 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from the bottle into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

Real good looking IPA. Deep caramel brown amber, with a hint of lighter orange and red, with plentiful small carbonation rising from the middle. The head manages a solid three to four fingers thick, aggressive and clumpy, bright but a lighter shade of tan. Swiss cheese retention and thick on top, with a glowing dark body. Very impressive looking.

Aroma is a bit mixed. Hints of some juiced sensing fruit and citrus hinting towards orange, but also some off putting dirt and earth quality. It's an odd mix, very good and sort of poor. Strikes down the middle as ok, with a mild caramel sweetness. Not sure where this might be leading.

Palate is actually a much better improvement. Juiced bodied and hop citrus orange in the mid palate, with a real light icing sugar sweetness. Finishes thick and rich, with a hint of caramel, and a good accent that leaves a very soft if hardly noticeable bitterness on the aftertaste. Chewy and almost leafy hops in the mix and slightly minty breath finish too. Honey like lip smacking coating as well too.

Overall actually very solid, but the aroma is really off putting to a degree. This could be something really solid but something in the bouquet mix gives the impression the beer has a problem. (1,302 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

L:
-pours a clear copper-brown with a big frothy beige head
-high carbonation visible
-great retension
S:
-grainy,grassy,malty,caramel
T:
-Follows the nose plus spices,slightly zesty with a dry,resiny finish
F:
high carbonation,medium body,no alcohol detectable
O:
I found this too malty for an IPA.
as a Fan of fruity IPA variants this didnt do it for me (355 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Undated bottle into pint glass. Clear, deep straw/gold color, with a thin white head that dissipated rapidly.
Citrus fruits predominate up front, with a decent dose of hops bitterness that persists throughout the tasting experience. The bitterness is tempered by a lingering malty sweetness - too much sweetness for me. Alcohol is well hidden.
Mouthfeel is too thick for an IPA - I want my IPAs to be refreshing and astringent; this beer is not.
Seems more like an English IPA than an American IPA.
Overall, an unusual IPA that is good in some respects but misses the mark in others. (592 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured on-tap into shaker pint.
A: Pours a clear amber hue with 1/2 inch off white head. Good retention.
S: Strong citrus hop aroma (orange, grapefruit, and passion fruit) with a moderate amount of caramel malt.
T: More sweet caramel malt here than in aroma...if anything it overpowers the citrus hop notes too much.
M: Light-medium feel. Soft and oily feel. Sweet malt with a bitter dry finish. Off balance...needs to dial back the malt and up the hops.
D: Needs some tweaking, but I do like the hop notes. (511 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This brew packs an immense amount of hop flavor and bitterness while balancing with an intense malt backbone. High esters blend well with malty hopness and you can tell you are drink a strong brew with every sip. (213 characters)

This is one of my favorite ipas of all time. I used to live in Baltimore and drank this about 4 time per week, I love it. Absolutely fantastic and well balanced ipa that is without a doubt worth a try if available. (216 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

As a couple other reviewers have noticed, freshness is absolutely critical with this beer, possibly more so than any other beer I've tried (including some like Stone Enjoy By and Sculpin). Fresh bottles are quite a treat.

The first thing you notice when opening this beer is the extremely strong aroma of tropical fruit and citrus - I can pick out mango and orange but there's a lot more going on here. The smell fills the area to the point where I've had people notice from 10+ feet away. Not as much pine as some, but an excellent start.
Pours a deep amber color with hints of red and a moderately thick, cream colored head. Nice looking beer.
The taste is where the difference in freshness become noticeable. Fresh bottles are a pleasure - tropical fruit and floral notes over a strong backbone of malt, but not too sweet. Some pine is present, just enough to give it that IPA bitter finish. With older bottles the bitterness disappears and is replaced by excessive sweetness in the finish and possibly a metallic note. Buy fresh! Watch out for the alcohol - no hint of its presence in the taste but it's sneaky at 7.3%.
Overall one of the better IPAs I've had actually. Not as much of a hop bomb as a lot of West Coast beers but it's a great, drinkable beer. (1,263 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Had this tonight for the first time in memory of Chuck Leayman at the Fridge in Lancaster. A touch darker than typical IPA appearance, which I like. IPA taste of course, but with a tang that reminded me of the seed stuck in my tooth after eating pumpernickel bread this morning- another patron noted that this was likely caraway . This also added a unique spicy note. Carawa/ odd grain-tangy note didn't really move me one way or the other, but it definitely gives this beer a distinctive flavor. Average IPA with something unique but neutral thrown in. (558 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -10%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, no date

clear copper color, just a bit of white head. nice hop aroma - fruity and floral. taste is hop dominated, but still fairly balanced, neither too sweet nor too bitter. thinner body, medium carbonation. (228 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Hey, this is a decent brew. This small brewery can kick out some decent beer. I had never heard of them and received the four Poe's as a gift. Well all I can say, is this is pretty good. Hoppy with a middle of the road malt backbone.

Bottom Line: Lets explore some more brews from these guys. (293 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This one looks all over the place in reviews. Maybe there's a lot of older, not so fresh ones out there? Dunno, but the one I experienced actually shocked me.

Typically when I pick up an IPA that hasn't received a ton of lip, I expect a biscuit or watery or wickedly off-balanced drain pour. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised right from the pour. Coppery orange under a very professional grade crème colored head with champion level lacing that stayed present throughout. Nose was a little faint but what piled through the head was piney, grassy and a touch citrusy. First pull presented the same very solid grassiness that was present in the aroma. Balance was good and finished a touch piney.

My only knock on this was a bit of a cloying sweetness on the tongue that hung around for a bit. Otherwise, I'd be more than happy to have this one again. (864 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

Nice artwork.

Decent beer. Prevalent hop spice thing going on. Thicker malt body than I would hope for. Mildly leans towards pine. Not really enough though. Could stand some more punch. Nice enough drinker, though. (216 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a single mix a sixer into a pint glass.

Pours medium colored orange copper with heady layer of white foam. Bready nose, malty. Really strong bitter pops out and eases into citrussy lemon light flavor. Chewy pine bitter holds afterwards. Overall a good flavored IPA with a nice hop kick. (299 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy golden honey colored body with a small white head with decent retention. Aromas are very citrusy with strong whiffs of pineapple and caramel. Tastes great! Bright zesty hops up front with a nicely sweetening malts with caramel flavors come through on the mid-palate before a zesty, piney, resinous finish.Nice balance, This is everything you look for in an IPA. (374 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - two finger white foamy head, really nice lacing, carbonation bubbles, color is between ruby and orange

S - hops, pine, citrus, malt

T - big citrus hops, piney like the smell, very mild bitterness, alcohol is masked fairly well

M - medium bodied, not too dry but not too sweet, light carbonation

O - Tasty IPA here, citrus hops but really mild overall. Drinkable and very nice from start to finish. (405 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice ruby color, light head that doesn't stick around. The smell is light maltiness, taste is similar, with very little hop presence. Smooth and pleasant to drink, little to complain about, other than the lack of hops. Good enough, but if I were, say, being slowly built into a wall as an act of fatal revenge, I'd prefer something with a bit more flavor. (355 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap in a pint glass. Might have been served a little bit colder than I would have liked.

Appearance: Definitely much darker than I would have expected for an IPA. Amber brownish.

Smell: Some citrus but mainly guava and tropical fruit, some malt sweetness.

Taste: mango, cracker maltiness, citrus, pine

Mouthfeel: thick carbonation with a touch of creaminess.

Overall: Pretty solid IPA. Definitely one of the least hoppy IPA's I have had although a very solid beer and would drink it again. (506 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful Raspberry/Amber color to it. Lines the glass nicely with a soupy sudsy trace and the carbonation stays consistent throughout. What impressed me the most was the smell. Strong citrus sweet smell. Tasted Sweet Hops with hint of citrus. This beer was a nice discovery. Would compliment seafood well. (306 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

Quite a lovely shade of golden amber. Quite a lot of head with each pour, and the bubbles are like clusters of bees swarming in the tall glass. Swirls of foam as you sip. Pleasantly sudsy in the mouth. Interesting woodsy aroma with malt and flowers.

Malty and sweeter than a lot of IPAs. This makes me think of an Old Ale, with some of the tangy oxidized taste and a hint of butter. Some bitterness finally asserts itself after sipping awhile, and leaves a bitter aftertaste. Some woody and piney flavors linger. It's like this was aged in a cheap pine casket.

This is such a lovely brew to look at and to slosh around the tonsils, but it gets me in the back of the throat before long. From the 12 oz bottle purchased at Sunset Beer Company in Los Angeles. (758 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

Consumed at NoBar in North Hollywood, CA on December 19th, 2013.

Beer is a clear golden/amber with a creamy, one finger off-white head. Awesome sheeting.

Aromas of pine and caramel malt.

Flavor is deceivingly balanced between moderately sweet caramel malt and restrained pine and pepper hop character. Slight alcohol flavor. Well modulated bitterness doesn't linger too long.

Mouthfeel is slightly creamy with a little prickly bite.

Nice to have a deceptively strong IPA with balance and drinkability. (507 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a beautiful amber color with great clarity. About one finger's worth of (off-white) head is formed; while it's not the best retaining, it has a good creaminess and leaves a bit of lacing behind. Quite a good-looking IPA.

S: The hops are effusive, but not aggressive. Piny notes are at the forefront, with a slight melon, mango, and grapefruit undercurrent. Some biscuity malt tries to pop out of the glass at times. This one has an aroma reminiscent of - more than any other IPA - Sculpin. That's not a bad place to be.

T: This is very piny in flavor, especially as it first hits the palate. A few twinges of grapefruit and melon tries to appear, but this is primarily a pine bomb. It finishes with some maltiness - and uh oh, it's crystal malt. That damn toffee finish is unmistakable. And sure enough, it cloys my palate after about 2/3rds the bottle. When they appear, the subtle fruit notes are absolutely the highlight of this brew.

M: I'm not a fan of the finishing feel: it's far too tongue-scrapingly rough and even astringent. A shame, because it hurts the crispness this beer also has. It's still drinkable, but in a rather unrefined manner.

O: Not a bad IPA, but the potential to be great with only a tweak or two is there. All that does is make it even more disappointing. Cutting down on the crystal malt presence would go a long, LONG way. Quoth the TWC, nevermore. (1,425 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured chilled in standard thick ale glass.

A: copper amber color; ok head; decent carbonation, lacing
S: very hop forward, but not too aggressive; bit of pine; more bubblegum; inviting
T: very delicious and malty; sweet; strong in the finishing hops; medium complexity

What this beer lacks in sight it makes up in taste--wow, really good, esp. for the low 7% abv range. (372 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a tall glass. no bottle dating that I could see.

Poured a beautiful coppery amber color with 2 fingers of foamy white head. Deent carbonation, good lacing. Head weakened but retained in some form to the end.

Got a good waft of hops from the nose.

Tasty beer indeed. The hops punch you around a bit, then a more citrusy wash, finished off with some calming mango at the end. How'd they do that?

Mouth was a bit above medium.

Enjoyed this one quite a bit. Went down really well too, a bit dangerous for a 7.25. Can certainly reccommend this one. (574 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +24.1%

I am really digging these guys' beers and since The Friendly Greek allows me to purchase singles in addition to mixed sixes, I am now on a mission.

From the bottle: "It never skips a beat."; "'I paced the floor to and fro ... but the noise steadily increased ... I must scream or die! ... and louder, louder, louder! 'Villains', I admit the deed! ... tear up the planks! ... here, here! - it is the beating of his hideous heart!'"; "The Tell Tale Heart, Edgar Allan Poe".

I was ready for a beer, and specifically an IPA after a tough morning campaigning, Nothing like a solid aggro pour ro get things started. The Old Lady took me to task during my visit as she feels it a) stirs up the lees and b) creates too much head. If the bottle reads "bottle-conditioned" or if I can see lees, I will employ a gentle pour. Her too much head = my release of esters for a better sense of the nose. Nothing wrong with head in my book and if it takes time to settle, then so be it. I am old and patient. Speaking of head, how does two dense, tawny fingers with great retention sound? It looked like the top of an ice cream float and French Vanilla and tawny are pretty close in my book, although tawny has a more orangish cast where French Vanilla is more yellow. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was reminiscent of taking hop cones in my hands and rubbing them together, releasing an oily, floral quality that can be difficult to describe. This was citrusy in an oily way that caused my mouth to begin slavering. Hophead Alert! I am more than a hophead. I am a hops junkie and while I (mostly) kicked the habit sometime back, beers like this make me pop with sweat in anticipation. I tied off, felt for the vein and then went for a deep, long draught before falling back in ecstasy. I felt a wash of caramel, grapefruit and anise/licorice over my lolling tongue as I struggled to untie the hose and remove the needle. The mouthfeel was thick and viscous and it lay on my tongue like it had passed out and it was up to me to send it on its way. Heavy, sticky lacing had already begun to appear in my glass and pink elephants began to appear in my kitchen. Say, who let Murph the Surf on my ceiling? Groovy, baby. Far out, man. Dig this heavy scene. Me and Ed were kickin' it, rapping about his lousy end and how I am ripping him off for an homage to The Old Lady entitled "Ms. Deborah Lee" as opposed to "Annabel Lee", but he nodded in assent. Soon, I was on the nod and the fuzz was banging on my door as I flopped around on the cold tile floor in a state of ecstasy that only humulus lupulus can bring me to. The stunning dryness of the finish left me gasping for breath, like a fish out of water or an asthmatic without his inhaler. The Old Lady keeps telling me that I am overdoing it with the inhaler bit anyway, so I am cutting back. On my asthma medicine. To what did you think that I was referring? Hops?!? Ha ha ha. I will give up my hoppy beers when they siphon them out of my cold, dead mouth. (3,022 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast