Tell Tale Heart IPA - B.W. Beer Works USA

Tell Tale Heart IPATell Tale Heart IPA

B.W. Beer Works USA visit their website
Maryland, United States

Your first experience with this IPA is the citrus bouquet from its rocky white head. The initial taste is subdued but gradually becomes intense without any harsh bitterness. The Heartier the Better.

Formerly called "Tell Tale Heart Ale".

(Beer added by: AdamBear on 02-28-2013)
UCLABrewN84

3.76/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a clear dark orange with a foamy tan head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with sweet malt and citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some nice citrus forward hop aromas but the flavor is a bit too sweet in my opinion.

08-17-2013 04:36:02 | More by UCLABrewN84
GRG1313

12-04-2013 05:07:47 | More by GRG1313
RblWthACoz

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

Nice artwork.

Decent beer. Prevalent hop spice thing going on. Thicker malt body than I would hope for. Mildly leans towards pine. Not really enough though. Could stand some more punch. Nice enough drinker, though.

08-17-2014 05:33:08 | More by RblWthACoz
Kegatron

12oz bottle. Pours a clear copper with a smooth finger of creamy off-white head. This soaps the sides of the glass with thick sticky lacing. The aroma smells floral and piney with a fresh green citrus character and a touch of spice. Light herbal and tropical flavors hang on the edges, where they mingle with a mix of bread and caramel from the malts. The hops have a nice fresh power to them in the nostrils. The taste is similar, with a fresh and zesty citric bite, while dank herbal, sweeter tropical and tangy malt flavors run throughout. Resins and spice linger in the finish. Feel is medium bodied with a soft, creamy and even a bit oily carbonation that is extremely smooth feeling. This was a pleasant surprise and it’s nice to see another well-made and local IPA on the market. I’ll definitely be returning to this.

05-28-2013 18:23:59 | More by Kegatron
jlindros

3.84/5  rDev -0.3%

Tap at a pub in Baltimore but I forget which one.

Nice creamy fizzy head, light lacing, clear honey orange color

Nose nice floral fruity hops, light grassy hops too, hint of malt, little fruity slight tropical fruit

Taste light fruity hops, big malts sweet candy like malts light toasty caramel, fair spicy hop bitterness, earthy chewy hops, grainy earthy malt thing too. Finish is semi sweet sticky, caramel malty grainy flavors, long fairly bitter spicy earthy hop lingering.

Mouth is med bod, decent carb

Overall not bad, nice nose but the hops turns a bit boring on the flavor. Nice bitterness, decent beer.

06-05-2013 13:45:53 | More by jlindros
mactrail

Washington

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%

Quite a lovely shade of golden amber. Quite a lot of head with each pour, and the bubbles are like clusters of bees swarming in the tall glass. Swirls of foam as you sip. Pleasantly sudsy in the mouth. Interesting woodsy aroma with malt and flowers.

Malty and sweeter than a lot of IPAs. This makes me think of an Old Ale, with some of the tangy oxidized taste and a hint of butter. Some bitterness finally asserts itself after sipping awhile, and leaves a bitter aftertaste. Some woody and piney flavors linger. It's like this was aged in a cheap pine casket.

This is such a lovely brew to look at and to slosh around the tonsils, but it gets me in the back of the throat before long. From the 12 oz bottle purchased at Sunset Beer Company in Los Angeles.

03-03-2014 04:40:26 | More by mactrail
oriolesfan4

05-26-2013 00:04:55 | More by oriolesfan4
woodychandler

4.84/5  rDev +25.7%

I am really digging these guys' beers and since The Friendly Greek allows me to purchase singles in addition to mixed sixes, I am now on a mission.

From the bottle: "It never skips a beat."; "'I paced the floor to and fro ... but the noise steadily increased ... I must scream or die! ... and louder, louder, louder! 'Villains', I admit the deed! ... tear up the planks! ... here, here! - it is the beating of his hideous heart!'"; "The Tell Tale Heart, Edgar Allan Poe".

I was ready for a beer, and specifically an IPA after a tough morning campaigning, Nothing like a solid aggro pour ro get things started. The Old Lady took me to task during my visit as she feels it a) stirs up the lees and b) creates too much head. If the bottle reads "bottle-conditioned" or if I can see lees, I will employ a gentle pour. Her too much head = my release of esters for a better sense of the nose. Nothing wrong with head in my book and if it takes time to settle, then so be it. I am old and patient. Speaking of head, how does two dense, tawny fingers with great retention sound? It looked like the top of an ice cream float and French Vanilla and tawny are pretty close in my book, although tawny has a more orangish cast where French Vanilla is more yellow. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was reminiscent of taking hop cones in my hands and rubbing them together, releasing an oily, floral quality that can be difficult to describe. This was citrusy in an oily way that caused my mouth to begin slavering. Hophead Alert! I am more than a hophead. I am a hops junkie and while I (mostly) kicked the habit sometime back, beers like this make me pop with sweat in anticipation. I tied off, felt for the vein and then went for a deep, long draught before falling back in ecstasy. I felt a wash of caramel, grapefruit and anise/licorice over my lolling tongue as I struggled to untie the hose and remove the needle. The mouthfeel was thick and viscous and it lay on my tongue like it had passed out and it was up to me to send it on its way. Heavy, sticky lacing had already begun to appear in my glass and pink elephants began to appear in my kitchen. Say, who let Murph the Surf on my ceiling? Groovy, baby. Far out, man. Dig this heavy scene. Me and Ed were kickin' it, rapping about his lousy end and how I am ripping him off for an homage to The Old Lady entitled "Ms. Deborah Lee" as opposed to "Annabel Lee", but he nodded in assent. Soon, I was on the nod and the fuzz was banging on my door as I flopped around on the cold tile floor in a state of ecstasy that only humulus lupulus can bring me to. The stunning dryness of the finish left me gasping for breath, like a fish out of water or an asthmatic without his inhaler. The Old Lady keeps telling me that I am overdoing it with the inhaler bit anyway, so I am cutting back. On my asthma medicine. To what did you think that I was referring? Hops?!? Ha ha ha. I will give up my hoppy beers when they siphon them out of my cold, dead mouth.

08-24-2013 22:34:20 | More by woodychandler
BARFLYB

01-26-2014 06:46:36 | More by BARFLYB
wrightst

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

10-18-2013 17:44:56 | More by wrightst
tone77

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, citrus, some pine. Taste is good, piney hops, some citrus, a bit of malt, lots of flavor here. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall this is a quality and refreshing beer.

03-30-2013 19:20:15 | More by tone77

Smarty_Pints

02-25-2014 05:22:22 | More by Smarty_Pints
KTCamm

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a single mix a sixer into a pint glass.

Pours medium colored orange copper with heady layer of white foam. Bready nose, malty. Really strong bitter pops out and eases into citrussy lemon light flavor. Chewy pine bitter holds afterwards. Overall a good flavored IPA with a nice hop kick.

07-20-2014 13:13:22 | More by KTCamm
Durandal_777

05-30-2014 20:55:18 | More by Durandal_777
charlzm

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Consumed at NoBar in North Hollywood, CA on December 19th, 2013.

Beer is a clear golden/amber with a creamy, one finger off-white head. Awesome sheeting.

Aromas of pine and caramel malt.

Flavor is deceivingly balanced between moderately sweet caramel malt and restrained pine and pepper hop character. Slight alcohol flavor. Well modulated bitterness doesn't linger too long.

Mouthfeel is slightly creamy with a little prickly bite.

Nice to have a deceptively strong IPA with balance and drinkability.

12-20-2013 04:00:22 | More by charlzm
ThisWangsChung

3.35/5  rDev -13%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a beautiful amber color with great clarity. About one finger's worth of (off-white) head is formed; while it's not the best retaining, it has a good creaminess and leaves a bit of lacing behind. Quite a good-looking IPA.

S: The hops are effusive, but not aggressive. Piny notes are at the forefront, with a slight melon, mango, and grapefruit undercurrent. Some biscuity malt tries to pop out of the glass at times. This one has an aroma reminiscent of - more than any other IPA - Sculpin. That's not a bad place to be.

T: This is very piny in flavor, especially as it first hits the palate. A few twinges of grapefruit and melon tries to appear, but this is primarily a pine bomb. It finishes with some maltiness - and uh oh, it's crystal malt. That damn toffee finish is unmistakable. And sure enough, it cloys my palate after about 2/3rds the bottle. When they appear, the subtle fruit notes are absolutely the highlight of this brew.

M: I'm not a fan of the finishing feel: it's far too tongue-scrapingly rough and even astringent. A shame, because it hurts the crispness this beer also has. It's still drinkable, but in a rather unrefined manner.

O: Not a bad IPA, but the potential to be great with only a tweak or two is there. All that does is make it even more disappointing. Cutting down on the crystal malt presence would go a long, LONG way. Quoth the TWC, nevermore.

11-16-2013 05:35:09 | More by ThisWangsChung