Schaefer - F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

SchaeferSchaefer

Beer added by: pezoids on 08-21-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 239 | Reviews: 124
1.45/5  rDev -44.2%

From a can, poured into a glass. Aroma is kind of repulsive, it smells like something chemical or medicinal, combined with corn adjuncts.
Taste: A little too sweet, and again, you can taste something sour and medicinal, combined with corn and some hops, also, a little too carbonated.

1.6/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Drank many cases of this many years ago

3.14/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

like the carbonation. left a grainy filmy feeling though. sweet from adjuncts. but not a terrible beer. pretty good.

2.25/5  rDev -13.5%

Most popular beer in USA prior to Bud becoming the King in 1975.

4.03/5  rDev +55%

Been drinking sch. for 40 years. Love the craft beers, but to me it's like mothers milk. Mommy!!!! What I like best is the wheaty taste. Unique among the macro beers. Also, at 16 I drank 2 six pax on a dare one nite...and I think that burned it into my taste buds

just another beer from an era when people didn't really care how beer tasted.

2.36/5  rDev -9.2%

*Not going to go into too much detail here. It's 2015 now, and my beer is getting hard to drink.

A- If you've seen Pabst Blue Ribbon in a glass, that's what it looks like. Super clear and golden. Head dies quickly.

S- Smell has the standard beer smell. Wet papery, sweet, corn husk. Light pale malt. Nothing to write home about. Smells a lot like Pabst Blue Ribbon.

T- Same as smell. Standard beer type flavors. Sweet and corny. Very grainy, with the lightest touch of pale malt. There is a very, and I mean very, slight hint of hops that attempts to balance out the sweet flavor. The hops do not do their job very well if you ask me. Again, this is a standard beer flavor that is on the sweet side.

M- It drinks like a lager would drink. It's light. It's crisp, clean, and I could see how it refreshes. If you've been drinking during your New Years celebrations all night and then go to this, it probably won't taste all that great. That's the boat I'm in right now.

Overall, this beer isn't all that stellar. It's a middle of the road beer that struggles to be just an average lager. Nothing stands out here. It's on the sweet side, which is what I really dislike about it. I can only seem to find this beer in 40 ounce bottles in my area, so not too good if I don't want to drink that much (like right now). I'd say pass on Schaefer, unless you're into the American adjunct lager style.

3.5/5  rDev +34.6%

One of the best economy American light lagers. Best enjoyed ice-cold.

2.47/5  rDev -5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Schaefer Beer is an old, old lager. If you are on a budget, then this might be the beer for you. Schaefer's is cheap, which if you are living in the NYC area, finding a bargain is a treat.

Appearance - Schaefer's look like your standard American lager. Nothing fancy. Nothing out of the ordinary.

The Smell is not overpowering.

Taste - Slight bitterness. No overpowering corn taste or smell. Not sweet.

Overall - For a cheap, old school American Lager, Schaefer's is an unspectacular, but unoffensive beer. It is a reasonable choice if your have a day of lawn work. You can spend more and do better, but for what it is, Schaerfer's is ok.

1.95/5  rDev -25%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

LOOK: As the can tipped, the beer poured a mostly clear yellow with a large fizzy, quickly dissipating foam. Some lace is left behind. The clarity is poor, as there is some sediment that just doesn't belong in a AAL.

SMELL: Corn, hops, must, bread. It smells grainy which is a perfect precursor to all the flavor.

TASTE: In the taste, grain and processed stewed hops, a bit of corn, but not terribly offensive to those not easily offended. Has a fair amount of bitterness for the style, so hey, at least there's that.

FEEL: Light bodied with a stinging carbonation and dry cardboard in the finish.

OVERALL: This is fishing beer if you like drinking cheap beer whilst you fish. Possibly even a beer pong candidate. Anything else is not recommended.

1.9/5  rDev -26.9%

A great beer for a kegger, but not much else. The appearance is clear with a very fizzy head that disappears quickly. The smell is mostly rice. The taste is very light with a rice soda kind of flavor. Mouthfeel was very light. I knew what I was getting into when I had mine, and it worked well for the outdoor party being thrown. When the situation calls for it, not a bad choice, but by no means a great one either.

I've been drinking Schaefer for 48 years, from age 18 to my present 66. My children and their friends get a kick out of my still drinking the old-fashioned Schaefer. But for me their old advertising campaign slogan is true: "Schaefer, the one beer to have when you're having more than one."

It is a typical American beer. I don't think that's a derogatory comment -- American lagers suit my taste. They remain my favorite after 40 years or so of tasting ll different beers and ales from many countries. Schaefer closely resembles Budweiser, but Schaefer has a nicer finish for me that leads one to just reaching for another and continuing the enjoyment.

The appearance is a beautiful amber -- it makes me always want to drink from a glass just to enjoy the color. The smell is mild, pleasant -- here comes an honest beer. The taste: just a fine beer that goes with any beer food, be it steamed clams, hot dogs, hamburgers, steaks, etc. The mouthfeel -- again, it's a good-tasting beer that swirls nicely before it goes down.

Overall, it's a very enjoyable beer, especially when you're having more than one. It is an American, honest, consistent, well-done beer.

1.11/5  rDev -57.3%

Honestly, this is the second worst beer on earth. First place is the light version. We use to grab this in college for about 30 cents per can (and I was in college in the 2000's, not the 60's). Light gold color with some fluffy head I guess. Aroma is filthy corn and wheat, dirty must, and vomit. The flavor follows almost perfectly and this is really tough to get down during a game of beer pong. Avoid at all costs.

3.33/5  rDev +28.1%

I still Remember the Schaefer Beer Jingle~"Schaefer is the One beer to have when your having more than One" and along with Shlitz,I stole a LOT of em from my Dads beer fridge when I was a kid..hehehe,and later on when I actually was allowed to drink,I drank swimming pools full of both beers,with Shlitz being my go2 beer & Shaefer being the beer I would buy when $$$ was tight..which was most of the time,I cant say it was a really gr8 beer,but it was much better then Blatz [both about $4.99 a case! hehe]
I had not had a Shaefer in well over 20 years,So when I came across a 40oz Fat Boy for $1.89 @ a crappy run down rural country store,I snagged up on it pronto,and thought that the beer probably was 10 years old & would break it out as sort of a joke when my buddies came over,and we all would laugh @ how crappy it tasted,as it turns out,I could not wait,and opened it up almost as soon as I got home,just to see if it was as bad as I remember~
poured it into a standard 16oz Pint glass & to my surprise,a nice fluffy 1 inch white head formed,and stayed there..I waited & waited for over 2 min's,but the head was going nowhere..WTF? a Bud's head is gone in 30 seconds,when I put the ole Sniffer to it,I smelled a nice sweet mild corn & grain aroma,also a slight grassy scent,not unpleasent at all..humm? Taste was very much the same,very mild & grainy with just the slightest bit of a citrus note and just a wee bit of a metallic taste in the background,I have to Admit that I was amazed at just how good this beer tasted,I Remember it being a LOT less drinkable back in the day,this was actually a very smooth,easy drinking beer! and honestly just as good..No,Better then a Ton of much Higher priced Macro lagers on the Market today,and if I could find it in Bottles in my Area,I would buy a case from time to time when money is tight,No doubt @ all!cheers & Peace2all.

2.98/5  rDev +14.6%

Bought a 40 oz bottle from Windmill Liquors in Orleans, MA on 7/8/13 for $ 2.55.

Poured into a glass tumbler served at fridge temp.

appearance: pale, brassy yellow with a 2 finger, snow-white head. Nice lacing.

aroma: faint hoppiness, a little corn and some mustiness.

mouthfeel: decent, full.

taste: gentle for an adjunct with enough hops to balance a slight sweetness which leaves a mineral like saccharin taste.

notes: it is what it is. I wish it didn't have the weird aftertaste because otherwise this would a decent, little beer.

3.35/5  rDev +28.8%

Picked up a 16 oz at Whole Foods Devon for $.99 how could i pass that up. These are the beers we drank as kids, this, Schmidts, Ortleibs (we were drinking Joes beer before it was known as Joes beer) before we graduated to Miller High Life, Genessee Cream Ale, Rolling Rock and the like. What a nostalgic blast this was. Thanks Joe at WF Devon.

And you know what, really wasnt bad at all. Drank from the can, poured a little to take a look. Light pale pour, big fluffy white cotton candy head. Nice. Bready sweet malts and even a little hops for balance. Decent mouthfeel. No off tastes, and a nice break from the usual hop and stout onslaught.

Overall very pleasant. I dont rate to style much (if at all), this is scored on its own merits. Just a good, plain old adjunct lager. And better than lots of craft ive had, yes i said it.

2.8/5  rDev +7.7%

Real good cheap beer. Pabst will not put any money behind it for promotion and no insentives for retailers. The regular Schaefer is as good as a good light beer, the light Schaefer is not that great, too light.

Not a problem getting up in the northeast but southern states can be a challange

Schaefer Hall of Fame likes the taste, easy drinking cold only. Use a cozy and prepare to drive to find it.

1.83/5  rDev -29.6%

Pale gold with a two finger white head which fades quickly. The smell has corn, some grass, and bread. Not too impressive.

The taste has cooked corn, bread malt, and is somewhat sweet. No outstanding features, mostly just blah.

Thin bodied, high carbonation, and not much aftertaste. Very bland and definitely not worth trying again.

2.66/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into Samuel Adam's pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear straw golden with a fluffy three-finger head, decent lacing is left on the glass.

Smell: Very mild, as expected. Light hints of corn adjuncts, grass, and a distinct floral note.

Taste: Pretty corny, adjunct laden. It's not as sweet as your average AAL, which I think brings out worse flavor in this beer's case. The back-end is metallic and has a weird vegetable taste.

Mouthfeel: Light body and high carbonation, very drinkable. This is a bit different than other beers of its kind, though, in that it has a slight dryness to it.

Overall: This is very similar to any other AAL, but the weird vegetable taste at the back-end will turn me off from buying any more of these in the future. If I'm looking to get cranked, I'd much rather have the standard BMC non-light.

2.63/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Nicely carbonated pale gold. Almost looks like apple juice. Head is super white and drops to a tiny ring rather quickly. Very clear. No lacing. Looks up to standard.

Smell: Corn and pale malts. Slightly bready with an off-putting grassy/wet cardboard aroma. Very grassy. Sweet, oddly so.

Taste: The same wet cardboard thing as the nose. Grainy and grassy. Slight tang from what has to be the adjuncts. Slightly sweet, like canned corn. Mild hop character hints at something almost herbal, but doesn't quite get there. Extremely pale malts. Inoffensive.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and light. Finishes clean after a burst of flavor (if that's what you want to call it). Lingering sweetness.

Overall: Drink lots of these. That seems to be the plan here. Inoffensive, but not desirable either. Has some weird issues that prevent it from being my adjunct lager of choice.

2.93/5  rDev +12.7%

Consumed 3/2/12

Appearance: Extremely clear, pale golden/straw color - fizzy white head that fades to a minimal ring, minimal lacing

Smell: Not much, very mild - some dry corn, grains, white bread - slightly sweet - I can't say much else, other than it's inoffensive

Taste: Not bad, but not good, either - mild grains, faint bread, lightly sweet, mostly dry, corn - more or less lacking any lager yeast spices - very clean, but so is water

Mouthfeel: Light, but not excessively so - mostly dry, somewhat crisp, nice carbonation, surprisingly smooth (like this was engineered to be chugged)

Overall: About as average as it gets

Schaefer is absurdly cheap (roughly $.65/can), and honestly, I've had more expensive beers that were worse. According to the old motto, "Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one." Sounds like a plan. I'll be drinking 12 of these on Saturday.

3.57/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can.

Smells like fresh corn, some light malts, and a hint of metallic hops. It's pretty smooth, with a tiny bit of bitterness up front, a light malt feel on the tongue, and an aftertaste of fresh corn. Light biscuits and corn. It's quite light, not a lot of flavor, but I don't mind the corn flavor so it's quite easy to drink. Certainly one of the better inexpensive beers, very easy to drink.

2.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Ok nothing extordinary a slightly watery beer golden straw in color. Pours and leaves a large head at first which quickly dissapates. There is also a slightly reddish tone to the beer. In all honest I can't say it look below average.

Smell: Has a slightly flat smell to it. Not as bad as bud. But not horrible nothing to brag about

Taste: Little watery but has more flavor then most domestic beer like Bud, Miller, and Coors. Can't say that I am a fan but it's not the worst beer in the world either.

Mouthfeel: Crappy aftertaste it is the beer you would be having if your having more then one after you have a few good beers then switch over to this selzer like flat beer. Because really after a couple the taste is not a big factor. So drink scheafer if your having more then one.

Overall: OK $4.99 a 6pk about average for that price not as good as PBR or Miller High Life, Simarly to Lone Star beer not as good as Black Label it hard to say. Ill say the beer is average for the price.

2.03/5  rDev -21.9%

12 oz can poured into duvel snifter
A - clear pale ambery yellow blehhh, head dies down fast
S- cant really pic out anything but cheap beer
T - same cheep beer taste, nothing special here
M - easy to drink I guess
O - buy pabst.... seriously, if you are going to buy a cheap beer and try to get hammered just buy pabst

2.66/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Though this Beer maybe Bad its not that bad. It's very Cheap to buy in the store and it gose down Nicely . Its perfect for that Summer Day. And Schaefer still has the Best Beer Jingle of all time in My opinion. It is a Personal Favorite though better than Bud or Miller .

to view more.
Schaefer from F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.