Schaefer - F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

SchaeferSchaefer

to view more.
Ratings: 239 | Reviews: 124
Reviews by Beerwolf666:
3.33/5  rDev +28.1%

I still Remember the Schaefer Beer Jingle~"Schaefer is the One beer to have when your having more than One" and along with Shlitz,I stole a LOT of em from my Dads beer fridge when I was a kid..hehehe,and later on when I actually was allowed to drink,I drank swimming pools full of both beers,with Shlitz being my go2 beer & Shaefer being the beer I would buy when $$$ was tight..which was most of the time,I cant say it was a really gr8 beer,but it was much better then Blatz [both about $4.99 a case! hehe]
I had not had a Shaefer in well over 20 years,So when I came across a 40oz Fat Boy for $1.89 @ a crappy run down rural country store,I snagged up on it pronto,and thought that the beer probably was 10 years old & would break it out as sort of a joke when my buddies came over,and we all would laugh @ how crappy it tasted,as it turns out,I could not wait,and opened it up almost as soon as I got home,just to see if it was as bad as I remember~
poured it into a standard 16oz Pint glass & to my surprise,a nice fluffy 1 inch white head formed,and stayed there..I waited & waited for over 2 min's,but the head was going nowhere..WTF? a Bud's head is gone in 30 seconds,when I put the ole Sniffer to it,I smelled a nice sweet mild corn & grain aroma,also a slight grassy scent,not unpleasent at all..humm? Taste was very much the same,very mild & grainy with just the slightest bit of a citrus note and just a wee bit of a metallic taste in the background,I have to Admit that I was amazed at just how good this beer tasted,I Remember it being a LOT less drinkable back in the day,this was actually a very smooth,easy drinking beer! and honestly just as good..No,Better then a Ton of much Higher priced Macro lagers on the Market today,and if I could find it in Bottles in my Area,I would buy a case from time to time when money is tight,No doubt @ all!cheers & Peace2all.

2.4/5  rDev -7.7%

I found this beer at the store , $5.59 six-pack,nice

10 onz can

The appearance is nothing to be impressed about a "regular" yellow color.it has a little bit of "sweet" aroma. The taste of this beer is really nice,i was a little bit suprise, it has some nice flavor. People should try this beer is one of the best macro lagers i have ever taste.

2.5/5  rDev -3.8%

If they're out of Brubaker, then Schaefer is my next pick. Not a beer you want to drink to quell any craving for real beer, but rather one to suck down as you're first. Even more so, at $1.99 at the bar for a 16oz'er.

http://www.earthstation1.com/TVWavFiles/Schaefer.wav ... although this ad from the 60's urges you to have more than one.

"Bop, Bop, Feeling pretty ... all together in Schaefer City!"

2.25/5  rDev -13.5%

Presentation: 16 oz can shinning a gold and red label with a white back ground, boast that it is America's oldest lager beer. No freshness date.

Appearance: Pale yellow with a quick forming and quick disappearing head that leaves nothing in its trail not even a thin lace, looks like apple juice or something else.

Smell: Watered down astringent grain with a weird aspartame artificial sweet aroma, otherwise a clean nose.

Taste: Light bodied with a lost crispness from an overly effervescent carbonation during the pouring perhaps due to that this beer should be consumed out of the can. Thin malt mouth feel and very little to the flavour other than some residual sweetness and vague graininess. A relatively dry brew, some odd cloying sweetness that seems mutated or engineered comes through. Hops are shallow and very light in the bitterness though just enough to balance the meek malt character. Slight cheap lager twang associated with canned beers is in the after taste but all in all it is a pretty clean one.

Notes: A chug-a-lug style beer, produced in mass quantities to be consumed in mass quantities. Not my mug of beer but its similarities to all of the other mass produced beers keep it popular in some areas around the country still.

2.53/5  rDev -2.7%

in a can, after I mowed the lawn this morning. Pours yellow and big bubble nasty, corn in the nose. Very light body, medium carbonation. Faint notes of malt and some sort of bitterness, but very little. This stuff is a bad waste of water, but when youre hot and thirsty, it does hit the spot and go down easy. Barely beer.

Appearance: 1 inch head, straw yellow in color, clear, high carbonation

Smell: grass, straw, and adjuncts

Taste: corn, straw, and adjuncts

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, light bodied, sweet

Overall: This is arguably my favorite beer in the style. This was the first beer I had regularly, so that probably has much to do with it. On a hot day, I could easily session this. Nothing midblowing, but smooth adjunct without any weird aftertastes.

The formalities first: pours clear yellow, fizzy white head. Disgustingly sweet corn syrup and metal aroma. Cotton candy and grass flavor, along with something sour and sweaty. Yay.

I brought this to a party one night as a joke. There just happened to be a cute blonde from Indiana that liked Schaefer. Needless to say, that was a really good night.

2.85/5  rDev +9.6%

Ahhhh Schaefer!! The 1 beer to have when you're having more than one.
I remember drinking this when I was a kid at baseball games. Taking quick sips from the big paper cups. Yum!!!

Schaefer pours a absolute piss yellow with a thick foamy bubbly head.
The smell is like corn/grits, hay, straw, crabgrass, you name it!
The taste is sharp and carbonated with a hint of grains.
Oh it's so bad it's good!!!

I have used this beer for Beirut(beerpong) and people will refuse to play. This beer WILL give you a headache!!

Not for the fainthearted!!!

3.02/5  rDev +16.2%

16 oz. can> 16 oz. SA glass.

It's not really the color that i first noticed it's the lack of color, I mean this thing is really thin looking but it's kinda golden with yellow hues, my girl friend chimmed in with "it looks like pee". I couldn't disagree. The head is light and active but is gone pretty quick.

A semi-sweet, wheatie scented malt,a bit sweeter than I had expected and the malt is a bit more aromatic which is good. Herbal and mossy scented hops add a bit of balance to the nose.

This is really a honey0soaked, bready malt flavor , cream of corn, wheat 'n grains, a mild sour and grainy yeast. The flavor is a bit thin and watery, but it's true to style and displays no evidence of "naties" like a skunked or metallic flavor, which is nice. The complexity of low but in it's simplicity is effective.

Eventhough the body is light and thin, it's pretty crisp and it's lively feel doesn't become dull and flat right off like some of it's kind.

This is really not terible, I've had many macro Lager's that have simply been un-drinkable, I wouldn't put this in that catagory, but I'm not having another either.

4.2/5  rDev +61.5%

Schaefer, is the...one beer to have when you're having more than one. Hop-hop, sittin' pretty. All together in Schaefer city.

Hell, this beer is not bad at all for the price.

My dad drank this beer...and as a Patriots fan, I LOVE this beer. Heck, my dad took me to Schaefer Stadium in the 70's. Those cold benches freezed my ass off. Funny, that I can mostly find it in aluminum cans these days seeing that I watched Jim Plunkett on aluminum benches.

So, now that I'm actually old enough to drink the stuff, I find it better than bud. Sure it's full of corn and maybe rice, and has a filmy aftertaste - but, it's *way* better Budweiser. No wonder my dad loved it. And it makes me remember Plunkett to Vathaha back in the days before Tom Brady.

This is a damn good beer.

1.85/5  rDev -28.8%

Ah Schaefer, the beer your grandaddy grew up on. This is the beer I got for $2 a pitcher in college, from a guy who always let his cigarette ashes fall in the food and beer that he was serving. Appetizing, yes. It appeared watery yellow, with no significant head. The smell was like a watered down Budweiser, but less skunky and more fresh (a good thing, no?). The flavor...well, let's just say it was refreshing and not too "flavory." I'm in a kind mood. The mouthfeel was flatter than fizzy, and overall it's a good cheap beer to not turn your nose up at because, well, let's face it, there's no such thing as a bad beer...at least not one that's this cheap.

3.15/5  rDev +21.2%

A retro classic! It pours a clear yellowish-gold with a creamy white head that holds OK and keeps a nice collar and whispy surface foamy throughout the glass. The nose displays a lightly sweet and grainy malt with a light note of corn and a touch of sulphur. There are no noticeable hops. It's light bodied, smooth, and lightly creamy in the mouth. The flavor offers a lightly sweet malt with a touch of corn-like flavor. Some non-distinct hops float along the surface. It finishes short and drying with a touch of residual sweetness. An enjoyable and refreshing basic American-style lager.

3.12/5  rDev +20%

Schafer is definitely a great beer to go to when you're broke or having a party.

it looks like regular beer and it tastes like "beer".

i don't see how people will pay 12 bucks for a 12 pack of budweiser when you can get the schaef for $6. it has way more character and flavor than most popular american crap lagers. if you drink enough you can actually start picking out some hop flavor although it is buried under a sweet malt, it's there!. Next time your thinking about budweiser or miller , just go grab some schaef's. it's the beer to drink when you're having more than one.

3.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Had a can for $3 at Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem. It poured a clear gold with a tall white head. There wasn't much to say about this beer. It's generally clean and inoffensive, with just a light caramel malt taste. It had a little of that dry, adjunct lager bite, but it was fine for washing down a pork sandwich.

2.72/5  rDev +4.6%

$4.99 a 12 pack? im down! crack the can it pours out crappy and yellow. like you knew it would. aroma is cheap and bland, touch of chemical and lightly metallic. flavorwise though, its not bad. very light hop bitterness, somewhat sweet malt backbone, clean and refreshing. crisp in the mouth, a tad thin but its not bad. goes down smooth. i liked this, for a cheap beer this stuff is alright.

There is a restaurant in Purdys NY called the Blazer Pub...some of the best burgers in the NY Tri-state area, and a regular stop for me. Well, recently they decided to go retro and are now offering, in cans, Schaefer, Ballantine, Rheingold and Schlitz....with PBR on tap. Whether you like these beers or not, the concept tickled my fancy and I decided to make my way through the list; revisiting some of the beers of my youth. None of them are great; in fact most of them are poor in comparison to the Captain Lawrence offerings that the Blazer also has on tap. But you know what? They were like an old friend, a blankie that I could hold at the bar and not feel self conscious about. Yes, I drank them all proudly and chances are, I will again.

2.91/5  rDev +11.9%

Not a great beer, but not horrible either. I'm not sure why this one gets dissed and PBR is loved, when it tastes almost identical to PBR (to me anyways). Again you're know your not getting a high class beer here, but thats not the point. It's cheap, and refresing on a hot day (great to bring to the beach as well).

2.75/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale straw color, clear as can be. The brew has a short lasting soapy white head that settles into almost nothingness. The aroma is grainy and a bit veggie like; light sulfur. The taste is sweet with some light grain. Fairly clean flavors while still cold. Not much cooked veggie or sulfur flavors, which is great. The feel is light, a bit watery, with fizzy carbonation, drinks crisp. Drinks quite well, though not giving it any time to warm up. Doesn't have many off-putting flavors that the style is known for. Actually doesn't have much flavor at all.

3.31/5  rDev +27.3%

Picked this up 5.50 for 12! How can I not have bought this beer. 12oz can poured into pint glass

A: This looks much nicer than most other macros out there. Pretty dark for a mass produced beer, but I have to contest this beer being mass produced because it's the first time I've seen this beer in any case, still nice. Pours a one inch foamy white head with craters popping all over the place. The head is pretty good too, lasts much longer than BMC beers. Also has some decent lacing. If this was handed to me at a bar I'd drink it.

S: Smell is a bit disappointing after such a nice appearance. Sweet corn and ceral grain (the can says made from the "finest quality ingredients") which is a claim I suppose I have to believe because it has a much heavier corn scent than other BMC beers so maybe they're using the best feed corn possible out there at the Schaefer Brewing company.

T/MF: I have to admit I was a bit supprised as this beer has hints of hop character but does not last for long as it's quickly overpowered by the corn and grain flavors. The mouthfeel is slick and lightbodied with minimum hop bite and finishes very very clean.

D: The price is right and the taste is good enough. If you are looking for a decent macro at a decent price than this beer is for you.

2.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Ok nothing extordinary a slightly watery beer golden straw in color. Pours and leaves a large head at first which quickly dissapates. There is also a slightly reddish tone to the beer. In all honest I can't say it look below average.

Smell: Has a slightly flat smell to it. Not as bad as bud. But not horrible nothing to brag about

Taste: Little watery but has more flavor then most domestic beer like Bud, Miller, and Coors. Can't say that I am a fan but it's not the worst beer in the world either.

Mouthfeel: Crappy aftertaste it is the beer you would be having if your having more then one after you have a few good beers then switch over to this selzer like flat beer. Because really after a couple the taste is not a big factor. So drink scheafer if your having more then one.

Overall: OK $4.99 a 6pk about average for that price not as good as PBR or Miller High Life, Simarly to Lone Star beer not as good as Black Label it hard to say. Ill say the beer is average for the price.

2.71/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from ma 16 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is surprisingly sweet, some hints of corn. Taste is missing for the most part. Very watery with a small amount of beer flavor. Feels watery in the mouth. Drinkability is decent, good for beer games. Overall there is not much to like about this one.

1.61/5  rDev -38.1%

Pours a straw color with a dismal white head. No surprises here. Smells very grainy, which is fine by me, but there's this weird beef broth smell somewhere in there. Tastes like nothing but sugar with a hint of malt. Really, this has possibly less flavor than some light lagers I've had but with the bonus of being sickly sweet. I guess I should give it kudos for tasting somewhat like a malt beverage. Mouthfeel is like flat coke. Just gross. I don't want to drink this.

I'm not one to simply bash a macro lager just because it's a macro lager. I happen to enjoy some of them a great deal. This is really just that bad. Do yourself a favor and get Pabst or Schlitz instead of this. Same price but they actually taste pretty decent.

2.53/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From the 40 fl. oz. pounder. Sampled on September 6, 2010. I have never had Schaefer in a bottle believe it or not. For the last 30 years or so that I have been drinking beer I have only ever had it from the can. The bottle surpasses the can.

What more can I say about Schaefer? It is an icon from the Golden Age of beer with its pale yellow look, corny, grassy, and slightly hopped scent and light body. The taste is a typical adjunct lager with lots of corn and grass and a spritzer of hops. It is a good hot weather beer.

3.13/5  rDev +20.4%

Surprisingly, this is not the crappiest beer I've ever had. This isn't anything fantastic, but it's not bad either. Smells okay, tastes refreshing and even bready, doesn't feel horrible. A great session brew, a great brew for a hot hot summer day. Served as cold as possible, this'll be great during your summer bbq.

3.85/5  rDev +48.1%

Schaefer (no longer sold in Louisiana, only Schaefer Light sold in the state now) has a thick, white head and a very clear appearance. It is highly carbonated. The aroma is mild, but barley and hop spice can be clearly detected with a sniff into the glass. A grain adjunct (corn?) is also present underneath. The taste is mild and very typical for American beer- it's beery. Mouth-feel is light and watery (it's always been marketed as a volume-drinking brew). Schaefer finishes crisp, snappy, and refreshing. This is about as ordinary of a beer as one can get, but it's a good, solid, and credible brand. Overall, I give this lager a pretty high rating and recommend you give it a try.

RJT

to view more.
Schaefer from F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.