Schaefer - F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

F & M Schaefer Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 08-21-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schaefer Alström Bros

I've been drinking Schaefer for 48 years, from age 18 to my present 66. My children and their friends get a kick out of my still drinking the old-fashioned Schaefer. But for me their old advertising campaign slogan is true: "Schaefer, the one beer to have when you're having more than one."

It is a typical American beer. I don't think that's a derogatory comment -- American lagers suit my taste. They remain my favorite after 40 years or so of tasting ll different beers and ales from many countries. Schaefer closely resembles Budweiser, but Schaefer has a nicer finish for me that leads one to just reaching for another and continuing the enjoyment.

The appearance is a beautiful amber -- it makes me always want to drink from a glass just to enjoy the color. The smell is mild, pleasant -- here comes an honest beer. The taste: just a fine beer that goes with any beer food, be it steamed clams, hot dogs, hamburgers, steaks, etc. The mouthfeel -- again, it's a good-tasting beer that swirls nicely before it goes down.

Overall, it's a very enjoyable beer, especially when you're having more than one. It is an American, honest, consistent, well-done beer.

4.24/5  rDev +59.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm impressed with the renew version of this beer. I taste the version made at the brewery in Puerto. It's been like 30 years that this beer disappeared from the market.

4.2/5  rDev +57.9%

Schaefer, is beer to have when you're having more than one. Hop-hop, sittin' pretty. All together in Schaefer city.

Hell, this beer is not bad at all for the price.

My dad drank this beer...and as a Patriots fan, I LOVE this beer. Heck, my dad took me to Schaefer Stadium in the 70's. Those cold benches freezed my ass off. Funny, that I can mostly find it in aluminum cans these days seeing that I watched Jim Plunkett on aluminum benches.

So, now that I'm actually old enough to drink the stuff, I find it better than bud. Sure it's full of corn and maybe rice, and has a filmy aftertaste - but, it's *way* better Budweiser. No wonder my dad loved it. And it makes me remember Plunkett to Vathaha back in the days before Tom Brady.

This is a damn good beer.

4.03/5  rDev +51.5%

Been drinking sch. for 40 years. Love the craft beers, but to me it's like mothers milk. Mommy!!!! What I like best is the wheaty taste. Unique among the macro beers. Also, at 16 I drank 2 six pax on a dare one nite...and I think that burned it into my taste buds

4.01/5  rDev +50.8%

Good Tasting Beer and at the Right Price . It's not like those over priced beers that boast all kinds of things that do not matter. Schaefer Beer taste good and has a nice look does anything else matter. If your looking for a good value I paid $13.99 for a 30 can case.

Appearance: 1 inch head, straw yellow in color, clear, high carbonation

Smell: grass, straw, and adjuncts

Taste: corn, straw, and adjuncts

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, light bodied, sweet

Overall: This is arguably my favorite beer in the style. This was the first beer I had regularly, so that probably has much to do with it. On a hot day, I could easily session this. Nothing midblowing, but smooth adjunct without any weird aftertastes.

3.9/5  rDev +46.6%

Presentation - 12oz can, poured into a pilsener glass

Appearance - Pale gold with a white, foamy head that dissipated within a couple minutes

Aroma - light grain and malt with just a little hop

Taste and Mouthfeel - very crisp and refreshingly carbonated. A light malt sweetness and flavor followed by just a hint of hops and then... wow... you know That Macro Flavor(TM) that accompanies just about all of them? It's not there in Shaefer. Just a nice, clean finish with a memory of the malt. This tastes like a very light munich helles.

Notes - This was a TOTAL surprise to me, and a pleasant one at that. It actually tastes good and doesn't have that typical macro off flavor. It's nice and refreshing. This ranks right up there with Schlitz to me. And at $2.79 per six pack, it's my new cheap beer of choice.

3.88/5  rDev +45.9%

Schaefer the one beer to have when you having more than one!! I've had more than one of these back in the day out of the ol' weekender case. Just picked up a twelver for an Abe this past weekend for a fishing trip, out of the lawnmowers, good ol' Schaef is a fav.
Appearance is a cool, old school beer label, which states "America's oldest Lager" since 1842 they must be doing something right. Served in a pilsner glass,pour revealed a foamy albugineous head and a caliginous aurulent body. Surprisingly a good amount of lacing throughout the glass.
Smell is of corn, with light malts and hop notes.
The taste and mouthfeel of this brew is light, crisp,somewhat bready,with sweet malts, faint hops and a slight dry finish. Lighter carbonation than most macros, not as fizzy as some would expect for a beer in the category.
Overall this is a very drinkable beer, it's a pretty easy drinking macro with some flavor , very similar to Ballantine ale.

3.85/5  rDev +44.7%

Schaefer (no longer sold in Louisiana, only Schaefer Light sold in the state now) has a thick, white head and a very clear appearance. It is highly carbonated. The aroma is mild, but barley and hop spice can be clearly detected with a sniff into the glass. A grain adjunct (corn?) is also present underneath. The taste is mild and very typical for American beer- it's beery. Mouth-feel is light and watery (it's always been marketed as a volume-drinking brew). Schaefer finishes crisp, snappy, and refreshing. This is about as ordinary of a beer as one can get, but it's a good, solid, and credible brand. Overall, I give this lager a pretty high rating and recommend you give it a try.

3.65/5  rDev +37.2%

So after my first experience tasting beer, Miller High Life, at a tender 4 years of age, my memory claims that Schaefer was the next malty tryst. This would've been while I was 15. It was under the boardwalk one summer night, can in hand. Peak excitement. The Schaefer can, for a good 2 years afterward, made it into several of my drawings and even as a prop for a puppet I made in HS art class - unbeknown to me til recent the whole Bass Ale thing with fine art painting way back....

So revisiting it now for the first time since 15, I find it to be a quite tasty cheap malt beverage. Reminiscent of Pabst BR at first. That feeling fades in short time.

The appearance screams "fancy". Champagne yellow-gold. Big, white fizzy head, decent lacing. All typical. What I didn't count on was some microscopic particulates tainting its otherwise expected clarity. (PS - poured in my 0.5L Unibroue Euro Pint, of course)

Prototypical profile of sweet corn amidst the ultra-light malt in nose and on tongue. Another thing I didn't count on was its somewhat potent bitterness (tongue, nose), almost hop-like in character. The bitter in flavor came off grassy or dandelion stemian. Notable grain flavor as well with a weird sort of mineral/vitamin-pill smack aftertaste. Thankfully, there's not a trace of harshness or bite throughout and I thought it was actually fairly smooth. Easy drinking indeed.

My drinking buddy and I agree that Schaefer is quite surprisingly quaffable. Make some room in th' fridge!

On a personal note: I wanted to make this review #300, but I goofed and it ended up being 299. Wait! I paid $2.99 for the 6-pack! Creeepy.

3.6/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

VEry annoying before you finnish the first can, but anyway, I had to try it. Almost green, as all those macros, yeah, I know I say that a lot, but it is true, almost no foam but at the end you got some. The cans ays much about the content if you look at it. The corny additives are not that recognizable but they are tere, I bet.

3.57/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can.

Smells like fresh corn, some light malts, and a hint of metallic hops. It's pretty smooth, with a tiny bit of bitterness up front, a light malt feel on the tongue, and an aftertaste of fresh corn. Light biscuits and corn. It's quite light, not a lot of flavor, but I don't mind the corn flavor so it's quite easy to drink. Certainly one of the better inexpensive beers, very easy to drink.

3.56/5  rDev +33.8%

Pours a light golden with a thin white head.Just a bit of retention,and decent lacing. Aroma is yeasty,with a hint of grassy hops. Body is on the light side,and carbonated. Taste has a that of a decent macro (few though there are)with a somewhat creamy edge. Bit of a bite to the finish.

3.56/5  rDev +33.8%

Ap. Very very pale yellow gold with a fine white head. Significant lacing.
Sm. Pale smell too. Slight grainy cheap beer smell. There is some faint hops in there.
Ta. Pale taste too. Slightly tart finish.
Mf. Pale with nice carbonation.
Dr. Full disclosure...Schaefer's is my favorite cheap beer. I drink more Schaefer's than any other single beer. Is it good? Not particularly. Is it drinkable? Very much so. Is it cheap? Bingo.

3.5/5  rDev +31.6%

Pours with an okay white head that is gone before you know it, leaving only a ring around the tub. Lots of bubbling, dead clear, with a straw yellow color. I have no trouble reading a credit card statement through the pint glass.

Smells grainy, with some corn and a little bit of skunky rice or something. Definite off notes, with a hint of hops gone bad. Although it's "average" for the style, it's not good, so I can't bring myself to give it a 3.

Surprisingly tasty and inoffensive! Very mild grain taste but it's my favorite type, that really pure corn taste that reminds me of Fritos. Present also in some Miller macro lagers. None of the skunked finish I was expecting ala a Euro Pale Lager, just more graininess. Faint hoppiness. Mmm graintastic.

Mouthfeel is very watery but hey, that's to the style. Carbonation is a little heavy, generating some burpage, but this is a "crisp" macro lager to use their preferred term.

I feel that the key to the macro lager style is inoffensiveness -- make an alcohol delivery vessel with a little something there but nothing to scare anyone off. That said, this really nails it. Drinking the Schaefer was not at all unpleasant compared to my normal macros (Miller Lite, Milwaukee's Best, Keystone, Labatt Blue). I don't know what the price was (I stole the can from a drunk friend) so I can't rate the drinkability higher, as cost is a huge factor in macro drinkability. Availability is also low in Ithaca -- I'd never seen Schaefer before.

Recommended enthusiastically within the category; Schaefer would make a great Power Hour or Beirut / Beer Pong beer, as it doesn't have any gross-factor that might induce vomiting.

3.48/5  rDev +30.8%

I usually agree with tsguino from Mexico. He doesn't seem to be a "beer snob" and reviews the brews with utmost sincerety. Props to YOU my Mexican friend!

Decent brew...smooth with a very "yellow" color. The beer LOOKED nice in my glass, and it "worked" the whole time before being consumed...which, in all honesty, doesn't REALLY take me that long. But I took my time with this one and "let it do it's thing" in my glass. It's a tad bitter, but not much. VERY drinkable, and doesn't make you sick after downing a bunch of these cheap classics! I will go back to this brew as a "lawnmower" summertime thirst quencher. It has a little hop character....a little malt character...and really...little CHARACTER to speak of. BUT it's drinkable, not offensive in any way, and very refreshing. I'm glad I tried it, and I certainly will again. The nice thing about these "classics" I've been trying lately, (this, National Bohemian, and La Crosse.) is that they're NOT spending money on ADVERTISING, as B,C,M, etc... AND we're getting a product that's EQUALLY as good, if not BETTER in most cases! SO, my friends, why "give in" to the marketing hype...when you can have a CLASSIC American brew for MUCH less money....and even more flavor??!! They're not just nostalgic for the "cool-looking" cans and such....they are TIME-TESTED, un-advertised CLASSICS that are still in the stores for a reason! I'd recommend this to any macro, lager fans out there. If not for the smooth and refreshingly light flavor....then FOR THE PRICE!!!! Enjoy and cheers, my friends!

3.4/5  rDev +27.8%

Poured into a shaker pint although I thought about drinking straight from the can. Pale golden yellow with a big head that disapates into a thick film. I was surprised to see that I got lacing. I actually wanted to give this higher marks in taste but restrained myself. You see this beer was my Dad. This is what he drank and the beer I took many a childhood sip of. It is harder and harder to find this beer and actually picked it up to make beercan chicken. But this was a swig down memory lane for me. I am surprised that it still tastes pretty much the same; since Schaefer went under this beer has been passed around alot.

3.38/5  rDev +27.1%

I've had this beer many times throughout college. I had a few more this past weekend. It's a macro lager...but better than budweiser or mgd. doesn't seem as skunky. you're not gonna get much hop flavor out of it. mostly cereal grains are the taste here. mouthfeel is light body. drinkability is about as good as you can get. it's a beer if you're planning to have a party with some of your good buds.

3.37/5  rDev +26.7%

This beer pours a light golden color with a rapidly disappearing head. The aroma has a bit of grain, lager and a touch of bitter hops. The taste follows the aroma. It has more grain, lager and touch of hops than your average macro American adjunct lager. It drinks very crisp yet smooth in its mouth feel due to its heavy, yet fine, carbonation. This is quite good for its category.

3.35/5  rDev +25.9%

Huh. This was kinda surprising.
I think I'd take this over Pabst! but not really because Pabst has a sentimental hold over me.
But if asked which of the two is more suiting to the palate, I'd say this brew.
As cheap as you can hope a beer to be while being at the very least inoffensive, and at the most a nearly quite flavorful macro lager. There's some nice breadyness to be found from time to time.
Five or six dollars for a twelve pack? in the NYC area? Sign me up.

3.35/5  rDev +25.9%

Picked up a 16 oz at Whole Foods Devon for $.99 how could i pass that up. These are the beers we drank as kids, this, Schmidts, Ortleibs (we were drinking Joes beer before it was known as Joes beer) before we graduated to Miller High Life, Genessee Cream Ale, Rolling Rock and the like. What a nostalgic blast this was. Thanks Joe at WF Devon.

And you know what, really wasnt bad at all. Drank from the can, poured a little to take a look. Light pale pour, big fluffy white cotton candy head. Nice. Bready sweet malts and even a little hops for balance. Decent mouthfeel. No off tastes, and a nice break from the usual hop and stout onslaught.

Overall very pleasant. I dont rate to style much (if at all), this is scored on its own merits. Just a good, plain old adjunct lager. And better than lots of craft ive had, yes i said it.

3.33/5  rDev +25.2%

I still Remember the Schaefer Beer Jingle~"Schaefer is the One beer to have when your having more than One" and along with Shlitz,I stole a LOT of em from my Dads beer fridge when I was a kid..hehehe,and later on when I actually was allowed to drink,I drank swimming pools full of both beers,with Shlitz being my go2 beer & Shaefer being the beer I would buy when $$$ was tight..which was most of the time,I cant say it was a really gr8 beer,but it was much better then Blatz [both about $4.99 a case! hehe]
I had not had a Shaefer in well over 20 years,So when I came across a 40oz Fat Boy for $1.89 @ a crappy run down rural country store,I snagged up on it pronto,and thought that the beer probably was 10 years old & would break it out as sort of a joke when my buddies came over,and we all would laugh @ how crappy it tasted,as it turns out,I could not wait,and opened it up almost as soon as I got home,just to see if it was as bad as I remember~
poured it into a standard 16oz Pint glass & to my surprise,a nice fluffy 1 inch white head formed,and stayed there..I waited & waited for over 2 min's,but the head was going nowhere..WTF? a Bud's head is gone in 30 seconds,when I put the ole Sniffer to it,I smelled a nice sweet mild corn & grain aroma,also a slight grassy scent,not unpleasent at all..humm? Taste was very much the same,very mild & grainy with just the slightest bit of a citrus note and just a wee bit of a metallic taste in the background,I have to Admit that I was amazed at just how good this beer tasted,I Remember it being a LOT less drinkable back in the day,this was actually a very smooth,easy drinking beer! and honestly just as good..No,Better then a Ton of much Higher priced Macro lagers on the Market today,and if I could find it in Bottles in my Area,I would buy a case from time to time when money is tight,No doubt @ all!cheers & Peace2all.

3.32/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

saw this beer at the package store in town and remembering it from my younger days just had to try again. poured light yellow with a one finger head that faded right away. smell is slight corn or cooked veggies taste about the same. mouthfeel crisp, light, well carbonated. even though there is not much going on with this beer its still pretty good nice and cold. brings back a lot good times.

3.31/5  rDev +24.4%

Picked this up 5.50 for 12! How can I not have bought this beer. 12oz can poured into pint glass

A: This looks much nicer than most other macros out there. Pretty dark for a mass produced beer, but I have to contest this beer being mass produced because it's the first time I've seen this beer in any case, still nice. Pours a one inch foamy white head with craters popping all over the place. The head is pretty good too, lasts much longer than BMC beers. Also has some decent lacing. If this was handed to me at a bar I'd drink it.

S: Smell is a bit disappointing after such a nice appearance. Sweet corn and ceral grain (the can says made from the "finest quality ingredients") which is a claim I suppose I have to believe because it has a much heavier corn scent than other BMC beers so maybe they're using the best feed corn possible out there at the Schaefer Brewing company.

T/MF: I have to admit I was a bit supprised as this beer has hints of hop character but does not last for long as it's quickly overpowered by the corn and grain flavors. The mouthfeel is slick and lightbodied with minimum hop bite and finishes very very clean.

D: The price is right and the taste is good enough. If you are looking for a decent macro at a decent price than this beer is for you.

3.3/5  rDev +24.1%

pours straw yellow. looks like miller high life but with less bubbles. the smell is a as expected for the style. definitly fits into the old man beer category but had to give it a try. the taste is incredibly plain. there isn't anything offensive, but there isn't much of anything at all. it's almost like there is no taste. but for some reason i don't fin it that bad. maybe because it's the beer to have when you're having more than one. as far as poundability goes, this one is up there. but i'd still place pbr and schlitz ahead of this classic american brew.

Schaefer from F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.