Schaefer - F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

SchaeferSchaefer

poor

awful

F & M Schaefer Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 08-21-2001)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schaefer Alström Bros
diesel59

07-15-2014 23:16:50 | More by diesel59
DeaconDan

I've been drinking Schaefer for 48 years, from age 18 to my present 66. My children and their friends get a kick out of my still drinking the old-fashioned Schaefer. But for me their old advertising campaign slogan is true: "Schaefer, the one beer to have when you're having more than one."

It is a typical American beer. I don't think that's a derogatory comment -- American lagers suit my taste. They remain my favorite after 40 years or so of tasting ll different beers and ales from many countries. Schaefer closely resembles Budweiser, but Schaefer has a nicer finish for me that leads one to just reaching for another and continuing the enjoyment.

The appearance is a beautiful amber -- it makes me always want to drink from a glass just to enjoy the color. The smell is mild, pleasant -- here comes an honest beer. The taste: just a fine beer that goes with any beer food, be it steamed clams, hot dogs, hamburgers, steaks, etc. The mouthfeel -- again, it's a good-tasting beer that swirls nicely before it goes down.

Overall, it's a very enjoyable beer, especially when you're having more than one. It is an American, honest, consistent, well-done beer.

03-02-2014 18:38:26 | More by DeaconDan
scoobydancer

4.2/5  rDev +60.9%

Schaefer, is the...one beer to have when you're having more than one. Hop-hop, sittin' pretty. All together in Schaefer city.

Hell, this beer is not bad at all for the price.

My dad drank this beer...and as a Patriots fan, I LOVE this beer. Heck, my dad took me to Schaefer Stadium in the 70's. Those cold benches freezed my ass off. Funny, that I can mostly find it in aluminum cans these days seeing that I watched Jim Plunkett on aluminum benches.

So, now that I'm actually old enough to drink the stuff, I find it better than bud. Sure it's full of corn and maybe rice, and has a filmy aftertaste - but, it's *way* better Budweiser. No wonder my dad loved it. And it makes me remember Plunkett to Vathaha back in the days before Tom Brady.

This is a damn good beer.

11-19-2010 15:41:45 | More by scoobydancer
garak99

4.08/5  rDev +56.3%

Good Tasting Beer and at the Right Price . It's not like those over priced beers that boast all kinds of things that do not matter. Schaefer Beer taste good and has a nice look does anything else matter. If your looking for a good value I paid $13.99 for a 30 can case.

12-29-2009 02:08:04 | More by garak99
tigg924

Appearance: 1 inch head, straw yellow in color, clear, high carbonation

Smell: grass, straw, and adjuncts

Taste: corn, straw, and adjuncts

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, light bodied, sweet

Overall: This is arguably my favorite beer in the style. This was the first beer I had regularly, so that probably has much to do with it. On a hot day, I could easily session this. Nothing midblowing, but smooth adjunct without any weird aftertastes.

07-27-2011 13:31:49 | More by tigg924
jdoolin

3.95/5  rDev +51.3%

Presentation - 12oz can, poured into a pilsener glass

Appearance - Pale gold with a white, foamy head that dissipated within a couple minutes

Aroma - light grain and malt with just a little hop

Taste and Mouthfeel - very crisp and refreshingly carbonated. A light malt sweetness and flavor followed by just a hint of hops and then... wow... you know That Macro Flavor(TM) that accompanies just about all of them? It's not there in Shaefer. Just a nice, clean finish with a memory of the malt. This tastes like a very light munich helles.

Notes - This was a TOTAL surprise to me, and a pleasant one at that. It actually tastes good and doesn't have that typical macro off flavor. It's nice and refreshing. This ranks right up there with Schlitz to me. And at $2.79 per six pack, it's my new cheap beer of choice.

07-24-2008 14:53:06 | More by jdoolin
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.88/5  rDev +48.7%

Schaefer (no longer sold in Louisiana, only Schaefer Light sold in the state now) has a thick, white head and a very clear appearance. It is highly carbonated. The aroma is mild, but barley and hop spice can be clearly detected with a sniff into the glass. A grain adjunct (corn?) is also present underneath. The taste is mild and very typical for American beer- it's beery. Mouth-feel is light and watery (it's always been marketed as a volume-drinking brew). Schaefer finishes crisp, snappy, and refreshing. This is about as ordinary of a beer as one can get, but it's a good, solid, and credible brand. Overall, I give this lager a pretty high rating and recommend you give it a try.

RJT

07-24-2010 20:06:53 | More by RonaldTheriot
KevinB

3.88/5  rDev +48.7%

Schaefer the one beer to have when you having more than one!! I've had more than one of these back in the day out of the ol' weekender case. Just picked up a twelver for an Abe this past weekend for a fishing trip, out of the lawnmowers, good ol' Schaef is a fav.
Appearance is a cool, old school beer label, which states "America's oldest Lager" since 1842 they must be doing something right. Served in a pilsner glass,pour revealed a foamy albugineous head and a caliginous aurulent body. Surprisingly a good amount of lacing throughout the glass.
Smell is of corn, with light malts and hop notes.
The taste and mouthfeel of this brew is light, crisp,somewhat bready,with sweet malts, faint hops and a slight dry finish. Lighter carbonation than most macros, not as fizzy as some would expect for a beer in the category.
Overall this is a very drinkable beer, it's a pretty easy drinking macro with some flavor , very similar to Ballantine ale.

08-22-2007 02:46:57 | More by KevinB
cheesepuffs

Connecticut

3.75/5  rDev +43.7%

09-11-2013 03:41:02 | More by cheesepuffs
Bouleboubier

3.65/5  rDev +39.8%

So after my first experience tasting beer, Miller High Life, at a tender 4 years of age, my memory claims that Schaefer was the next malty tryst. This would've been while I was 15. It was under the boardwalk one summer night, can in hand. Peak excitement. The Schaefer can, for a good 2 years afterward, made it into several of my drawings and even as a prop for a puppet I made in HS art class - unbeknown to me til recent the whole Bass Ale thing with fine art painting way back....

So revisiting it now for the first time since 15, I find it to be a quite tasty cheap malt beverage. Reminiscent of Pabst BR at first. That feeling fades in short time.

The appearance screams "fancy". Champagne yellow-gold. Big, white fizzy head, decent lacing. All typical. What I didn't count on was some microscopic particulates tainting its otherwise expected clarity. (PS - poured in my 0.5L Unibroue Euro Pint, of course)

Prototypical profile of sweet corn amidst the ultra-light malt in nose and on tongue. Another thing I didn't count on was its somewhat potent bitterness (tongue, nose), almost hop-like in character. The bitter in flavor came off grassy or dandelion stemian. Notable grain flavor as well with a weird sort of mineral/vitamin-pill smack aftertaste. Thankfully, there's not a trace of harshness or bite throughout and I thought it was actually fairly smooth. Easy drinking indeed.

My drinking buddy and I agree that Schaefer is quite surprisingly quaffable. Make some room in th' fridge!

On a personal note: I wanted to make this review #300, but I goofed and it ended up being 299. Wait! I paid $2.99 for the 6-pack! Creeepy.

02-13-2011 17:53:50 | More by Bouleboubier
nekronos

Mexico

3.6/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

VEry annoying before you finnish the first can, but anyway, I had to try it. Almost green, as all those macros, yeah, I know I say that a lot, but it is true, almost no foam but at the end you got some. The cans ays much about the content if you look at it. The corny additives are not that recognizable but they are tere, I bet.

10-24-2005 14:37:38 | More by nekronos
semihobo

3.58/5  rDev +37.2%

Pours with an okay white head that is gone before you know it, leaving only a ring around the tub. Lots of bubbling, dead clear, with a straw yellow color. I have no trouble reading a credit card statement through the pint glass.

Smells grainy, with some corn and a little bit of skunky rice or something. Definite off notes, with a hint of hops gone bad. Although it's "average" for the style, it's not good, so I can't bring myself to give it a 3.

Surprisingly tasty and inoffensive! Very mild grain taste but it's my favorite type, that really pure corn taste that reminds me of Fritos. Present also in some Miller macro lagers. None of the skunked finish I was expecting ala a Euro Pale Lager, just more graininess. Faint hoppiness. Mmm graintastic.

Mouthfeel is very watery but hey, that's to the style. Carbonation is a little heavy, generating some burpage, but this is a "crisp" macro lager to use their preferred term.

I feel that the key to the macro lager style is inoffensiveness -- make an alcohol delivery vessel with a little something there but nothing to scare anyone off. That said, this really nails it. Drinking the Schaefer was not at all unpleasant compared to my normal macros (Miller Lite, Milwaukee's Best, Keystone, Labatt Blue). I don't know what the price was (I stole the can from a drunk friend) so I can't rate the drinkability higher, as cost is a huge factor in macro drinkability. Availability is also low in Ithaca -- I'd never seen Schaefer before.

Recommended enthusiastically within the category; Schaefer would make a great Power Hour or Beirut / Beer Pong beer, as it doesn't have any gross-factor that might induce vomiting.

02-23-2006 20:36:21 | More by semihobo
riversider76

3.58/5  rDev +37.2%

Pours a light golden with a thin white head.Just a bit of retention,and decent lacing. Aroma is yeasty,with a hint of grassy hops. Body is on the light side,and carbonated. Taste has a that of a decent macro (few though there are)with a somewhat creamy edge. Bit of a bite to the finish.

05-03-2008 00:19:02 | More by riversider76
deaconoflove

3.58/5  rDev +37.2%

Ap. Very very pale yellow gold with a fine white head. Significant lacing.
Sm. Pale smell too. Slight grainy cheap beer smell. There is some faint hops in there.
Ta. Pale taste too. Slightly tart finish.
Mf. Pale with nice carbonation.
Dr. Full disclosure...Schaefer's is my favorite cheap beer. I drink more Schaefer's than any other single beer. Is it good? Not particularly. Is it drinkable? Very much so. Is it cheap? Bingo.

11-10-2009 18:17:18 | More by deaconoflove
Zodijackyl

Connecticut

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can.

Smells like fresh corn, some light malts, and a hint of metallic hops. It's pretty smooth, with a tiny bit of bitterness up front, a light malt feel on the tongue, and an aftertaste of fresh corn. Light biscuits and corn. It's quite light, not a lot of flavor, but I don't mind the corn flavor so it's quite easy to drink. Certainly one of the better inexpensive beers, very easy to drink.

02-05-2012 02:52:45 | More by Zodijackyl

stogirelli

09-26-2013 22:56:34 | More by stogirelli
musicjustintime

3.5/5  rDev +34.1%

I usually agree with tsguino from Mexico. He doesn't seem to be a "beer snob" and reviews the brews with utmost sincerety. Props to YOU my Mexican friend!

Decent brew...smooth with a very "yellow" color. The beer LOOKED nice in my glass, and it "worked" the whole time before being consumed...which, in all honesty, doesn't REALLY take me that long. But I took my time with this one and "let it do it's thing" in my glass. It's a tad bitter, but not much. VERY drinkable, and doesn't make you sick after downing a bunch of these cheap classics! I will go back to this brew as a "lawnmower" summertime thirst quencher. It has a little hop character....a little malt character...and really...little CHARACTER to speak of. BUT it's drinkable, not offensive in any way, and very refreshing. I'm glad I tried it, and I certainly will again. The nice thing about these "classics" I've been trying lately, (this, National Bohemian, and La Crosse.) is that they're NOT spending money on ADVERTISING, as B,C,M, etc... AND we're getting a product that's EQUALLY as good, if not BETTER in most cases! SO, my friends, why "give in" to the marketing hype...when you can have a CLASSIC American brew for MUCH less money....and even more flavor??!! They're not just nostalgic for the "cool-looking" cans and such....they are TIME-TESTED, un-advertised CLASSICS that are still in the stores for a reason! I'd recommend this to any macro, lager fans out there. If not for the smooth and refreshingly light flavor....then FOR THE PRICE!!!! Enjoy and cheers, my friends!

06-27-2006 19:32:05 | More by musicjustintime

bicyclesnbeer

08-19-2012 15:21:49 | More by bicyclesnbeer
bob3701

3.45/5  rDev +32.2%

Poured into a shaker pint although I thought about drinking straight from the can. Pale golden yellow with a big head that disapates into a thick film. I was surprised to see that I got lacing. I actually wanted to give this higher marks in taste but restrained myself. You see this beer was my Dad. This is what he drank and the beer I took many a childhood sip of. It is harder and harder to find this beer and actually picked it up to make beercan chicken. But this was a swig down memory lane for me. I am surprised that it still tastes pretty much the same; since Schaefer went under this beer has been passed around alot.

12-18-2009 23:31:27 | More by bob3701
Applesauce1

3.4/5  rDev +30.3%

I've had this beer many times throughout college. I had a few more this past weekend. It's a macro lager...but better than budweiser or mgd. doesn't seem as skunky. you're not gonna get much hop flavor out of it. mostly cereal grains are the taste here. mouthfeel is light body. drinkability is about as good as you can get. it's a beer if you're planning to have a party with some of your good buds.

12-05-2008 03:53:24 | More by Applesauce1
cpolking

Iowa

3.4/5  rDev +30.3%

This beer pours a light golden color with a rapidly disappearing head. The aroma has a bit of grain, lager and a touch of bitter hops. The taste follows the aroma. It has more grain, lager and touch of hops than your average macro American adjunct lager. It drinks very crisp yet smooth in its mouth feel due to its heavy, yet fine, carbonation. This is quite good for its category.

11-25-2010 00:11:45 | More by cpolking
Schaefer from F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.