Schaefer - F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

SchaeferSchaefer

poor

awful

F & M Schaefer Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 08-21-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schaefer Alström Bros

The formalities first: pours clear yellow, fizzy white head. Disgustingly sweet corn syrup and metal aroma. Cotton candy and grass flavor, along with something sour and sweaty. Yay.

I brought this to a party one night as a joke. There just happened to be a cute blonde from Indiana that liked Schaefer. Needless to say, that was a really good night.

1.1/5  rDev -57.9%

1.1/5  rDev -57.9%

Honestly, this is the second worst beer on earth. First place is the light version. We use to grab this in college for about 30 cents per can (and I was in college in the 2000's, not the 60's). Light gold color with some fluffy head I guess. Aroma is filthy corn and wheat, dirty must, and vomit. The flavor follows almost perfectly and this is really tough to get down during a game of beer pong. Avoid at all costs.

Photo of
1.25/5  rDev -52.1%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

1.45/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

The can assured me I wasn't drinking water. I wasn't expecting anything great when I picked up a twelve pack, I knew it was swill but I needed something for when I was painting. Never poured it out of the can so I am assuming that it is very pale yellow in color with a slight head and good carbonation. The aroma was non-existent. Mouthfeel was very thin, I have never had a beer that was this thin. The flavor is very subtle which makes this an easy drinking beer. At first I thought it was really bad, but after a couple it started to grow on me. Overall a drinkable beer that lacks any distinguishing qualities, the odds of me buying this again are slim to none.

1.58/5  rDev -39.5%

Pours a straw color with a dismal white head. No surprises here. Smells very grainy, which is fine by me, but there's this weird beef broth smell somewhere in there. Tastes like nothing but sugar with a hint of malt. Really, this has possibly less flavor than some light lagers I've had but with the bonus of being sickly sweet. I guess I should give it kudos for tasting somewhat like a malt beverage. Mouthfeel is like flat coke. Just gross. I don't want to drink this.

I'm not one to simply bash a macro lager just because it's a macro lager. I happen to enjoy some of them a great deal. This is really just that bad. Do yourself a favor and get Pabst or Schlitz instead of this. Same price but they actually taste pretty decent.

1.73/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Got it in 40 oz. bottle form in New Jersey (not available in my locale). Clear straw-gold color, with a white head. At $2 a 40, I didn't deem it worthy of a glass. Tastes of grain and corn, a true macro lager gone awry. It's drinkability is alright, if you factor in value of this cheap brew.

1.75/5  rDev -33%

I am slowly but surely knocking out all the mainstays of my college days.

The thing I remember about this beer was how sour it was. It poured the typical yellow with big white foam head of most macrolagers, but it actually had some flavor to it. That flavor being skunk with some sour bite.

Other than that: watery and forgettable.

1.8/5  rDev -31%

Pale gold with a two finger white head which fades quickly. The smell has corn, some grass, and bread. Not too impressive.

The taste has cooked corn, bread malt, and is somewhat sweet. No outstanding features, mostly just blah.

Thin bodied, high carbonation, and not much aftertaste. Very bland and definitely not worth trying again.

Schaefer from F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.