Schaefer - F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

SchaeferSchaefer

poor

awful

F & M Schaefer Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 08-21-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schaefer Alström Bros
2.42/5  rDev -6.9%

I found this beer at the store , $5.59 six-pack,nice

10 onz can

The appearance is nothing to be impressed about a "regular" yellow color.it has a little bit of "sweet" aroma. The taste of this beer is really nice,i was a little bit suprise, it has some nice flavor. People should try this beer is one of the best macro lagers i have ever taste.

BeerDreadz, Jun 10, 2007
3.15/5  rDev +21.2%

Surprisingly, this is not the crappiest beer I've ever had. This isn't anything fantastic, but it's not bad either. Smells okay, tastes refreshing and even bready, doesn't feel horrible. A great session brew, a great brew for a hot hot summer day. Served as cold as possible, this'll be great during your summer bbq.

scooter231, Jun 02, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +28.8%

Huh. This was kinda surprising.
I think I'd take this over Pabst! but not really because Pabst has a sentimental hold over me.
But if asked which of the two is more suiting to the palate, I'd say this brew.
As cheap as you can hope a beer to be while being at the very least inoffensive, and at the most a nearly quite flavorful macro lager. There's some nice breadyness to be found from time to time.
Five or six dollars for a twelve pack? in the NYC area? Sign me up.

ommegangpbr, Jun 02, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -5.8%

An interesting beer to say the least. It has characteristics of... of... oh the hell with it... the only reason I drink this beer is becuase it's $5 a 12-pack at a local deli/liquor store. If you're short on dough and need to get a buzz while watching Pulp Fiction. Schaefer's your boy.

P.S. I think I know the guy who's great grand dad started the comapny.

mcerka, Feb 15, 2007
2.55/5  rDev -1.9%

Having lived in Arizona all my beer drinking life, I have decided to try all the classic beers not available to me then. Schaefer is cheap ($13 for a case of talls), and easy to pound, but dosen't have anything else going for it. Leave this one for the high school/ college kids.

IDRINKBEERALLDAY, Feb 09, 2007
3.33/5  rDev +28.1%

pours straw yellow. looks like miller high life but with less bubbles. the smell is a as expected for the style. definitly fits into the old man beer category but had to give it a try. the taste is incredibly plain. there isn't anything offensive, but there isn't much of anything at all. it's almost like there is no taste. but for some reason i don't fin it that bad. maybe because it's the beer to have when you're having more than one. as far as poundability goes, this one is up there. but i'd still place pbr and schlitz ahead of this classic american brew.

scarletfire79, Dec 18, 2006
3.35/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

saw this beer at the package store in town and remembering it from my younger days just had to try again. poured light yellow with a one finger head that faded right away. smell is slight corn or cooked veggies taste about the same. mouthfeel crisp, light, well carbonated. even though there is not much going on with this beer its still pretty good nice and cold. brings back a lot good times.

billybob, Dec 15, 2006
2.45/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Clear golden color with a fizzy white head that bubbled off to macro-lagerland in no time flat. Streams of carbonated bubbles run to the top of the glass.

S: Corn and wet malts. Some metalic sweetness. Unimpressive.

T: Stale corn and wheaty cheap malt. Mild watery mineral flavor. Boring.

M: Some thickness, some crispness. Goes down easy. Probably the highlight of this brew.

D: For 5.99 a 12 pack, it doesn't get a whole lot better. Or worse.

Notes: From Cleveland OH's Biddulph Beverage, which gave me shit about my out of state ID. Fuck them.

Frozensoul327, Nov 20, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My folks used to drink this one at picnics. It has too much corny chickenfeed character for me to finish it, and when I catch my friend sneaking a six pack down his slippery throat, I just cringe and shudder. These days, there are many beer "brands" out there owned by a few big breweries that are just keeping the names alone alive of all the great regional beers of eras past. Some aren't awefull, but they all just cater to stubborn old timers that don't want to admit the end.

dedrinker, Oct 23, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +28.1%

Very little scent on this one. Just a hint of malt as best as I can tell. Light golden color with very little head. Tastes rather good, albeit a bit watered down. Sweet and light bodied. Just a hint of hops. No off-flavors that I can tell. Very drinkable. I'd prefer craft beer when I can get it, but if I'm cash-strapped, I'd buy this long before any of the big things from BMC (I know Miller now contract-brews this, but still). Not a bad little beer. Inoffensive if nothing else.

MrHurmateeowish, Oct 18, 2006

I remember this from it being advertised during Red Sox games on the radio as "the one beer to have when you're having more than one." Now there's a producer who knows his consumers.

I was served a can recently. I decided not have more than one. This is pretty much a typical budget class macrolager-- pale, thin bodied, highly carbonated, obvious use of cheap adjuncts.... That said it actually has a little flavor is maybe a notch above most other really cheap beers and closer to the flagship products fabricated by Miller, AB and Coors.

Deconstructionis, Aug 28, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -6.9%

Schaefer pours a very clear yellow color with a short head, almost no lacing; Smell is like corn and sweet; Taste is not bad at all, nothing special; Mouthfeel is crisp and clean, very carbonated; Drinkability is good.

Cheap beer, good choice when I am broke.

¡Salud!

fido, Aug 26, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +34.6%

I usually agree with tsguino from Mexico. He doesn't seem to be a "beer snob" and reviews the brews with utmost sincerety. Props to YOU my Mexican friend!

Decent brew...smooth with a very "yellow" color. The beer LOOKED nice in my glass, and it "worked" the whole time before being consumed...which, in all honesty, doesn't REALLY take me that long. But I took my time with this one and "let it do it's thing" in my glass. It's a tad bitter, but not much. VERY drinkable, and doesn't make you sick after downing a bunch of these cheap classics! I will go back to this brew as a "lawnmower" summertime thirst quencher. It has a little hop character....a little malt character...and really...little CHARACTER to speak of. BUT it's drinkable, not offensive in any way, and very refreshing. I'm glad I tried it, and I certainly will again. The nice thing about these "classics" I've been trying lately, (this, National Bohemian, and La Crosse.) is that they're NOT spending money on ADVERTISING, as B,C,M, etc... AND we're getting a product that's EQUALLY as good, if not BETTER in most cases! SO, my friends, why "give in" to the marketing hype...when you can have a CLASSIC American brew for MUCH less money....and even more flavor??!! They're not just nostalgic for the "cool-looking" cans and such....they are TIME-TESTED, un-advertised CLASSICS that are still in the stores for a reason! I'd recommend this to any macro, lager fans out there. If not for the smooth and refreshingly light flavor....then FOR THE PRICE!!!! Enjoy and cheers, my friends!

musicjustintime, Jun 27, 2006
2.38/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured a light straw colored hue, with a 2 finger soapy foamy head. There was little in the way of retention and lacing.

The smell was mostly corn, with a slight sweetness.

The taste was a non-distinct macro adjunct coarseness. Some background sweetness, but for the most part dry.

The mouthfeel was okay as long as the beer was cold.

Overall an average American premium. Nothing special. Drinkable.

plaid75, Jun 04, 2006
1.9/5  rDev -26.9%

12oz. can that a relative gave to me for free, so I lost nothing. A white can with the top and bottom of the label is gold and with a red Schaefer in the middle. In the gold it stated that it's "Proudly brewed in the U.S. with the finest quality ingredients." It's more than likely brewed with the finest corn and rice that U.S. can produce. It also states that it's America's Oldest Lager Beer. On the side of the can it would like to thank the Schaefer customers for their loyalty. I was also told that this beer is one of the cheapest rot gut beers on the market.

When poured into a Pilsener glass, the beer was the usual macro color of straw yellow, not urine yellow like some others. Got a nice 2 inch head of white foam that had good retention that left some rings and little sticky white lace around the glass. What can I say about the smell? I kept trying to get an aroma out of it but the only way I can describe the smell is that it smelled like beer. It had an ok macro taste of (at least it had a taste) little malt, corn, and some burnt hops at the end. At least the mouthfeel isn't as watery as I would have expected it to be. It wasn't too watery, smooth, carbonated, and with a sweet corn aftertaste. I'm sure that this beer would make a nice cheap summer brew! At least I found out for myself that this really isn't a rot gut beer.

AltBock, May 29, 2006
1.58/5  rDev -39.2%

Pours a straw color with a dismal white head. No surprises here. Smells very grainy, which is fine by me, but there's this weird beef broth smell somewhere in there. Tastes like nothing but sugar with a hint of malt. Really, this has possibly less flavor than some light lagers I've had but with the bonus of being sickly sweet. I guess I should give it kudos for tasting somewhat like a malt beverage. Mouthfeel is like flat coke. Just gross. I don't want to drink this.

I'm not one to simply bash a macro lager just because it's a macro lager. I happen to enjoy some of them a great deal. This is really just that bad. Do yourself a favor and get Pabst or Schlitz instead of this. Same price but they actually taste pretty decent.

goochpunch, Mar 26, 2006
3.58/5  rDev +37.7%

Pours with an okay white head that is gone before you know it, leaving only a ring around the tub. Lots of bubbling, dead clear, with a straw yellow color. I have no trouble reading a credit card statement through the pint glass.

Smells grainy, with some corn and a little bit of skunky rice or something. Definite off notes, with a hint of hops gone bad. Although it's "average" for the style, it's not good, so I can't bring myself to give it a 3.

Surprisingly tasty and inoffensive! Very mild grain taste but it's my favorite type, that really pure corn taste that reminds me of Fritos. Present also in some Miller macro lagers. None of the skunked finish I was expecting ala a Euro Pale Lager, just more graininess. Faint hoppiness. Mmm graintastic.

Mouthfeel is very watery but hey, that's to the style. Carbonation is a little heavy, generating some burpage, but this is a "crisp" macro lager to use their preferred term.

I feel that the key to the macro lager style is inoffensiveness -- make an alcohol delivery vessel with a little something there but nothing to scare anyone off. That said, this really nails it. Drinking the Schaefer was not at all unpleasant compared to my normal macros (Miller Lite, Milwaukee's Best, Keystone, Labatt Blue). I don't know what the price was (I stole the can from a drunk friend) so I can't rate the drinkability higher, as cost is a huge factor in macro drinkability. Availability is also low in Ithaca -- I'd never seen Schaefer before.

Recommended enthusiastically within the category; Schaefer would make a great Power Hour or Beirut / Beer Pong beer, as it doesn't have any gross-factor that might induce vomiting.

semihobo, Feb 23, 2006
2.17/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured a clear yellow with light carbonation. Head was small and short-lived. Lots of escaping bubbles were visible. Not sure that any beer's appearance could be bad, but the poor head has to count against this one. Aroma was corn and astringency. Husky and grainy with a bit of hops in the background. Not a bad smell but not the typical hops and malt, either. The taste had an up-front astringency followed by a lingering corn sweetness. Not horrid, but not something I'd want to drink a lot of. Did have a bit more hop character than your typical macrobrew. Mouthfeel had a light-to-moderate body with a bit of prickliness. Drinkability was okay. Picked up a bit more malt character as it warmed.

This isn't horrible, but there are better cheap American lagers out there to pick from (Schlitz, Miller High Life).

shererjt, Jan 29, 2006
3.6/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

VEry annoying before you finnish the first can, but anyway, I had to try it. Almost green, as all those macros, yeah, I know I say that a lot, but it is true, almost no foam but at the end you got some. The cans ays much about the content if you look at it. The corny additives are not that recognizable but they are tere, I bet.

nekronos, Oct 24, 2005
2.9/5  rDev +11.5%

Schaefer makes the thing better than other american breweries; this is one example, good beer, depp yellow color, like a pilsner but the bounty of a lager; taste lightly bitter, pure, low in adjuncts; smell like brolied hops, little alcaline; i try this beer in a pint glass, with mexican food is good, american and german too; 80% recommended.

tesguino, Oct 21, 2005
2.4/5  rDev -7.7%

Rhinegold, Schaefer, Knickerbocker...ahh the good old days of diversity in the world of macro brews. Since I knew this beer was commonplace in the iceboxes of my grandparents I felt compelled to purchase it. I was so offended to see this beer in 40oz. form that I almost walked out of the store empty-handed. But, upon venturing into the back refrigerated room of my liquor store I decided to pick up a "specialty priced" $11.99 (before tax and can return) 30 rack up for my next party. Well, that didn't go as good as I hoped it to. After countless comments like "whats schaefer?", "I hope this stuff was on sale", and "ewww this is the worst tasting beer i've ever had" it was demoted to the late night beer-pong table. This beer pours a serene gold color, with similar characteristics to the outside can. When poured into a glass, an artificially thick pearly white head forms over the beer and lasts much longer than the average beer drinker would want. The first taste of this (especially when room temperature or warmer) is of utter mystery. I remember asking myself "did I just enjoy this, or not?". The reason why I had this question repeating in my mind was because before this I had been drinking Budweiser and I found Schaefer to be comparable to Budweiser in many dimensions and yet it is alot cheaper. The design of the can is very "half-ass", no fancy words like budweiser (clean, crisp, pure). A barley stem is pictured on the side of this product along with the words "schaefer" in red and "union made" in small black letters (wow that makes me feel alot better haha). Overall this beer is not bad when deciding on a cheap beer to be used in some form of a drinking game, but in no way that reminiscent beer of the past that I was expecting.

rpgman456, Oct 02, 2005
1.98/5  rDev -23.8%

Bought a 40oz for shitz and gigglez. Poured some in a glass and it was a very pale yellow. Thick bubbley head but the carbonation of the beer was negligible. Nose was very light--mostly rice. Taste is oh so simple. Lots of adjuncts and hints of some actualy malted grains. Hops? Nope. Very light and crisp, but flat. Definitely easy to drink.

MuddyFeet, Sep 19, 2005
2.5/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I will always remember the jingle: Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one. Poured a pale yellow color with white puffy head. Smell is sweet, but really not much of anything. Taste is ??? (what taste). Mouthfeel is ?? (what mouthfeel). Refreshing at best. Lawnmower beer.

tgbljb, Jul 24, 2005
2.13/5  rDev -18.1%

Appearance-pale golden color, a fair amount of head that dissapears quickly

Smell-cooked cabbage, a little corn, grain, fairly clean though.

Taste-thin and watery, really not much on the palette, a little grain to go through with but other than that it goes down clean and tasteless.

Mouthfeel-thin and watery, not a good aftertaste and not that smooth going down.

Drinkability-a drink em and get drunk type beer, I'd only have another if at a party or offered but I would certainlty not seek this out.

Overall-this is a cheap mass-produced beer made to drink quick and get buzzed in the vein of Milwaukee's Best Light or Natural Light, it's comparable to these and therefore obviously not something to seek out.

TheDeuce, Jan 04, 2005
2.78/5  rDev +6.9%

$4.99 a 12 pack? im down! crack the can it pours out crappy and yellow. like you knew it would. aroma is cheap and bland, touch of chemical and lightly metallic. flavorwise though, its not bad. very light hop bitterness, somewhat sweet malt backbone, clean and refreshing. crisp in the mouth, a tad thin but its not bad. goes down smooth. i liked this, for a cheap beer this stuff is alright.

DESTRO, May 31, 2004
Schaefer from F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.