Schaefer - F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

SchaeferSchaefer

poor

awful

F & M Schaefer Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 08-21-2001)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schaefer Alström Bros
Deconstructionis

West Virginia

I remember this from it being advertised during Red Sox games on the radio as "the one beer to have when you're having more than one." Now there's a producer who knows his consumers.

I was served a can recently. I decided not have more than one. This is pretty much a typical budget class macrolager-- pale, thin bodied, highly carbonated, obvious use of cheap adjuncts.... That said it actually has a little flavor is maybe a notch above most other really cheap beers and closer to the flagship products fabricated by Miller, AB and Coors.

08-28-2006 17:56:59 | More by Deconstructionis
fido

2.42/5  rDev -7.3%

Schaefer pours a very clear yellow color with a short head, almost no lacing; Smell is like corn and sweet; Taste is not bad at all, nothing special; Mouthfeel is crisp and clean, very carbonated; Drinkability is good.

Cheap beer, good choice when I am broke.

¡Salud!

08-26-2006 22:04:50 | More by fido
musicjustintime

3.5/5  rDev +34.1%

I usually agree with tsguino from Mexico. He doesn't seem to be a "beer snob" and reviews the brews with utmost sincerety. Props to YOU my Mexican friend!

Decent brew...smooth with a very "yellow" color. The beer LOOKED nice in my glass, and it "worked" the whole time before being consumed...which, in all honesty, doesn't REALLY take me that long. But I took my time with this one and "let it do it's thing" in my glass. It's a tad bitter, but not much. VERY drinkable, and doesn't make you sick after downing a bunch of these cheap classics! I will go back to this brew as a "lawnmower" summertime thirst quencher. It has a little hop character....a little malt character...and really...little CHARACTER to speak of. BUT it's drinkable, not offensive in any way, and very refreshing. I'm glad I tried it, and I certainly will again. The nice thing about these "classics" I've been trying lately, (this, National Bohemian, and La Crosse.) is that they're NOT spending money on ADVERTISING, as B,C,M, etc... AND we're getting a product that's EQUALLY as good, if not BETTER in most cases! SO, my friends, why "give in" to the marketing hype...when you can have a CLASSIC American brew for MUCH less money....and even more flavor??!! They're not just nostalgic for the "cool-looking" cans and such....they are TIME-TESTED, un-advertised CLASSICS that are still in the stores for a reason! I'd recommend this to any macro, lager fans out there. If not for the smooth and refreshingly light flavor....then FOR THE PRICE!!!! Enjoy and cheers, my friends!

06-27-2006 19:32:05 | More by musicjustintime
plaid75

2.38/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured a light straw colored hue, with a 2 finger soapy foamy head. There was little in the way of retention and lacing.

The smell was mostly corn, with a slight sweetness.

The taste was a non-distinct macro adjunct coarseness. Some background sweetness, but for the most part dry.

The mouthfeel was okay as long as the beer was cold.

Overall an average American premium. Nothing special. Drinkable.

06-04-2006 18:27:59 | More by plaid75
AltBock

1.9/5  rDev -27.2%

12oz. can that a relative gave to me for free, so I lost nothing. A white can with the top and bottom of the label is gold and with a red Schaefer in the middle. In the gold it stated that it's "Proudly brewed in the U.S. with the finest quality ingredients." It's more than likely brewed with the finest corn and rice that U.S. can produce. It also states that it's America's Oldest Lager Beer. On the side of the can it would like to thank the Schaefer customers for their loyalty. I was also told that this beer is one of the cheapest rot gut beers on the market.

When poured into a Pilsener glass, the beer was the usual macro color of straw yellow, not urine yellow like some others. Got a nice 2 inch head of white foam that had good retention that left some rings and little sticky white lace around the glass. What can I say about the smell? I kept trying to get an aroma out of it but the only way I can describe the smell is that it smelled like beer. It had an ok macro taste of (at least it had a taste) little malt, corn, and some burnt hops at the end. At least the mouthfeel isn't as watery as I would have expected it to be. It wasn't too watery, smooth, carbonated, and with a sweet corn aftertaste. I'm sure that this beer would make a nice cheap summer brew! At least I found out for myself that this really isn't a rot gut beer.

05-28-2006 23:20:34 | More by AltBock
goochpunch

1.58/5  rDev -39.5%

Pours a straw color with a dismal white head. No surprises here. Smells very grainy, which is fine by me, but there's this weird beef broth smell somewhere in there. Tastes like nothing but sugar with a hint of malt. Really, this has possibly less flavor than some light lagers I've had but with the bonus of being sickly sweet. I guess I should give it kudos for tasting somewhat like a malt beverage. Mouthfeel is like flat coke. Just gross. I don't want to drink this.

I'm not one to simply bash a macro lager just because it's a macro lager. I happen to enjoy some of them a great deal. This is really just that bad. Do yourself a favor and get Pabst or Schlitz instead of this. Same price but they actually taste pretty decent.

03-26-2006 04:52:36 | More by goochpunch
semihobo

3.58/5  rDev +37.2%

Pours with an okay white head that is gone before you know it, leaving only a ring around the tub. Lots of bubbling, dead clear, with a straw yellow color. I have no trouble reading a credit card statement through the pint glass.

Smells grainy, with some corn and a little bit of skunky rice or something. Definite off notes, with a hint of hops gone bad. Although it's "average" for the style, it's not good, so I can't bring myself to give it a 3.

Surprisingly tasty and inoffensive! Very mild grain taste but it's my favorite type, that really pure corn taste that reminds me of Fritos. Present also in some Miller macro lagers. None of the skunked finish I was expecting ala a Euro Pale Lager, just more graininess. Faint hoppiness. Mmm graintastic.

Mouthfeel is very watery but hey, that's to the style. Carbonation is a little heavy, generating some burpage, but this is a "crisp" macro lager to use their preferred term.

I feel that the key to the macro lager style is inoffensiveness -- make an alcohol delivery vessel with a little something there but nothing to scare anyone off. That said, this really nails it. Drinking the Schaefer was not at all unpleasant compared to my normal macros (Miller Lite, Milwaukee's Best, Keystone, Labatt Blue). I don't know what the price was (I stole the can from a drunk friend) so I can't rate the drinkability higher, as cost is a huge factor in macro drinkability. Availability is also low in Ithaca -- I'd never seen Schaefer before.

Recommended enthusiastically within the category; Schaefer would make a great Power Hour or Beirut / Beer Pong beer, as it doesn't have any gross-factor that might induce vomiting.

02-23-2006 20:36:21 | More by semihobo
shererjt

2.17/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured a clear yellow with light carbonation. Head was small and short-lived. Lots of escaping bubbles were visible. Not sure that any beer's appearance could be bad, but the poor head has to count against this one. Aroma was corn and astringency. Husky and grainy with a bit of hops in the background. Not a bad smell but not the typical hops and malt, either. The taste had an up-front astringency followed by a lingering corn sweetness. Not horrid, but not something I'd want to drink a lot of. Did have a bit more hop character than your typical macrobrew. Mouthfeel had a light-to-moderate body with a bit of prickliness. Drinkability was okay. Picked up a bit more malt character as it warmed.

This isn't horrible, but there are better cheap American lagers out there to pick from (Schlitz, Miller High Life).

01-29-2006 02:33:13 | More by shererjt
nekronos

3.6/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

VEry annoying before you finnish the first can, but anyway, I had to try it. Almost green, as all those macros, yeah, I know I say that a lot, but it is true, almost no foam but at the end you got some. The cans ays much about the content if you look at it. The corny additives are not that recognizable but they are tere, I bet.

10-24-2005 14:37:38 | More by nekronos
tesguino

2.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Schaefer makes the thing better than other american breweries; this is one example, good beer, depp yellow color, like a pilsner but the bounty of a lager; taste lightly bitter, pure, low in adjuncts; smell like brolied hops, little alcaline; i try this beer in a pint glass, with mexican food is good, american and german too; 80% recommended.

10-21-2005 19:49:22 | More by tesguino
rpgman456

Connecticut

2.4/5  rDev -8%

Rhinegold, Schaefer, Knickerbocker...ahh the good old days of diversity in the world of macro brews. Since I knew this beer was commonplace in the iceboxes of my grandparents I felt compelled to purchase it. I was so offended to see this beer in 40oz. form that I almost walked out of the store empty-handed. But, upon venturing into the back refrigerated room of my liquor store I decided to pick up a "specialty priced" $11.99 (before tax and can return) 30 rack up for my next party. Well, that didn't go as good as I hoped it to. After countless comments like "whats schaefer?", "I hope this stuff was on sale", and "ewww this is the worst tasting beer i've ever had" it was demoted to the late night beer-pong table. This beer pours a serene gold color, with similar characteristics to the outside can. When poured into a glass, an artificially thick pearly white head forms over the beer and lasts much longer than the average beer drinker would want. The first taste of this (especially when room temperature or warmer) is of utter mystery. I remember asking myself "did I just enjoy this, or not?". The reason why I had this question repeating in my mind was because before this I had been drinking Budweiser and I found Schaefer to be comparable to Budweiser in many dimensions and yet it is alot cheaper. The design of the can is very "half-ass", no fancy words like budweiser (clean, crisp, pure). A barley stem is pictured on the side of this product along with the words "schaefer" in red and "union made" in small black letters (wow that makes me feel alot better haha). Overall this beer is not bad when deciding on a cheap beer to be used in some form of a drinking game, but in no way that reminiscent beer of the past that I was expecting.

10-02-2005 05:30:29 | More by rpgman456
MuddyFeet

1.98/5  rDev -24.1%

Bought a 40oz for shitz and gigglez. Poured some in a glass and it was a very pale yellow. Thick bubbley head but the carbonation of the beer was negligible. Nose was very light--mostly rice. Taste is oh so simple. Lots of adjuncts and hints of some actualy malted grains. Hops? Nope. Very light and crisp, but flat. Definitely easy to drink.

09-18-2005 23:13:24 | More by MuddyFeet
tgbljb

2.5/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I will always remember the jingle: Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one. Poured a pale yellow color with white puffy head. Smell is sweet, but really not much of anything. Taste is ??? (what taste). Mouthfeel is ?? (what mouthfeel). Refreshing at best. Lawnmower beer.

07-24-2005 20:06:17 | More by tgbljb
TheDeuce

2.13/5  rDev -18.4%

Appearance-pale golden color, a fair amount of head that dissapears quickly

Smell-cooked cabbage, a little corn, grain, fairly clean though.

Taste-thin and watery, really not much on the palette, a little grain to go through with but other than that it goes down clean and tasteless.

Mouthfeel-thin and watery, not a good aftertaste and not that smooth going down.

Drinkability-a drink em and get drunk type beer, I'd only have another if at a party or offered but I would certainlty not seek this out.

Overall-this is a cheap mass-produced beer made to drink quick and get buzzed in the vein of Milwaukee's Best Light or Natural Light, it's comparable to these and therefore obviously not something to seek out.

01-04-2005 06:16:59 | More by TheDeuce
DESTRO

Nevada

2.78/5  rDev +6.5%

$4.99 a 12 pack? im down! crack the can it pours out crappy and yellow. like you knew it would. aroma is cheap and bland, touch of chemical and lightly metallic. flavorwise though, its not bad. very light hop bitterness, somewhat sweet malt backbone, clean and refreshing. crisp in the mouth, a tad thin but its not bad. goes down smooth. i liked this, for a cheap beer this stuff is alright.

05-31-2004 09:07:19 | More by DESTRO
Billolick

2.53/5  rDev -3.1%

in a can, after I mowed the lawn this morning. Pours yellow and big bubble nasty, corn in the nose. Very light body, medium carbonation. Faint notes of malt and some sort of bitterness, but very little. This stuff is a bad waste of water, but when youre hot and thirsty, it does hit the spot and go down easy. Barely beer.

05-14-2004 16:01:12 | More by Billolick
JamesBerry

2.48/5  rDev -5%

This has a disgustingly thin light amber ginger ale color (same goes for the virtually nonexistent head). Aroma of adjuncts mixed with a hint of beer. Very little flavor, almost to the point of being overpowered by the weak carbonation. The aftertaste has a slight solvent feeling to it.
This beer makes me think that smashing the can on my forehead would be a good idea. Recommended only for those too young to know what good beer tastes like, or those too old to be able to taste the difference.

03-27-2004 03:02:19 | More by JamesBerry
usualpulp

2.63/5  rDev +0.8%

I saw a 12pk of this sitting at the beer store for a fairly cheap price, so i thought what the heck, might as well try something new, cheap or not, so I bought it. The beer smells like your average cheap american beer, strong corn smell. It pours a very yellow color with a thin short lived white head. The taste isnt awful, I would rank it above many of the cheap macro's, but not as high as some of them. Tastes very watery, with slight hop and wheatish flavors, strong on corn. Overall its not a horrible beer, something good for drinking while watching a game, but I think for that, my money is better spent on high life or pbr.

01-11-2004 19:31:29 | More by usualpulp
TastyTaste

1.73/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Got it in 40 oz. bottle form in New Jersey (not available in my locale). Clear straw-gold color, with a white head. At $2 a 40, I didn't deem it worthy of a glass. Tastes of grain and corn, a true macro lager gone awry. It's drinkability is alright, if you factor in value of this cheap brew.

01-05-2004 00:20:13 | More by TastyTaste
NJpadreFan

2.88/5  rDev +10.3%

Ahhhh Schaefer!! The 1 beer to have when you're having more than one.
I remember drinking this when I was a kid at baseball games. Taking quick sips from the big paper cups. Yum!!!

Schaefer pours a absolute piss yellow with a thick foamy bubbly head.
The smell is like corn/grits, hay, straw, crabgrass, you name it!
The taste is sharp and carbonated with a hint of grains.
Oh it's so bad it's good!!!

I have used this beer for Beirut(beerpong) and people will refuse to play. This beer WILL give you a headache!!

Not for the fainthearted!!!

12-01-2003 21:55:36 | More by NJpadreFan
Stopper

Connecticut

2.63/5  rDev +0.8%

The pour is average. It has a thin head of medium-sized bright white bubbles topping a pale yellow beer. The aroma is slightly sweet, barely hoppy, and pretty pungent, though I'm having trouble placing or describing what it is I'm smelling... perhaps that's just the corn? The mouthfeel is relatively syrupy for a pale american adjunct lager, and it feels moderately carbonated. The initial flavor is pretty sweet, but definitely not unbalanced. The finish has a notable hop spice that trails off to leave only a mild taste of cooked corn.

So I bottle my homebrew in these longnecks, and the sturdy boxes are nice too. I feel much better about downing these to make room for new batches than downing my old brews, so I buy Schaefer. Maybe next time I'll try something else I can find with longnecks, like Old Milwaukee or something, though I'm not sure it'll be much better. It's drinkable, but not worth seeking out.

11-16-2003 05:35:59 | More by Stopper
BeerResearcher

2.42/5  rDev -7.3%

My dad drank this when he needed a break from Ballantines or the occasional Knickerbocker,...or Narragansett. He would blame "Schaefer Beer Farts" for any particularly odiferous flatulence. That said, I bought this 40 ouncer chilled it well and poured it into a frosted 10oz glass in memory of dear old dad. It pours a pale yellow with a thin rapidly dissipating white head. Some trailing lace developed after the glass warmed a bit. The aroma is of damp towels, cereal and faint alcohol fuminess. The body is thin and a little grainy. There is a mild spicy hop flavor, but it basically blends into a seltzery, fizzy mouthfeel. It's really not all that bad for a cheap beer.

Here's a bonus Schaefer jingle for those too young to remember, or for those who'd rather forget, here it is anyway;

Schaefer is the…one beer to have when you’re having more than one.
Schaefer, flavor...doesn't fade, when your workday's done.
The most rewarding flavor in this man's world, for people who are having fun.
Schaefer, is the...one beer to have, when you're having more than one!

Thank you and good night!

08-08-2003 22:21:00 | More by BeerResearcher
AtLagerHeads

2.4/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled as a 40 ouncer and looking pretty well from out of the fifties, this old standby provides a look at the classic regional pale lagers of the past century. Plae yellow with a dissipating white head and little lacing. Taste is the standard pale lager ho-hum with a very light aroma to match. Watery, thin mouthfeel though smooth as well. Nothing here to recommend other than a quick thirst quencher.

08-04-2003 22:41:18 | More by AtLagerHeads
ElGuapo

2.33/5  rDev -10.7%

This one has scared me off for a while, but it was time to make a drunken chicken, and we needed a canned beer. I see two cans of Schaefer in the fridge. Let's do it!
Yellow pour with some little white bubbles on top. I am a bit scared now. Aroma is lacking much but grains.

I take a sip, and I don't die, wow, Schaefer is not that bad! It is very crisp with a load of carbonation. It is not skunky like some other low quality beers. Grainy, a little citrus. It is not a good beer, but you can drink it, and I did not get the three gulp headache I get from other "lesser" beers.

05-22-2003 07:58:53 | More by ElGuapo
pezoids

2.38/5  rDev -8.8%

I inherited a case of returnables from somebody. I don't hate this beer. I actually consider this my "pizza" beer. It's fine when you
want a flavourless, highly carbonated light beer, which I actually crave once in awile.It's a good cheap beer to share with family members, so they don't have to make a yuck face and pour out your Storm King stout.

02-22-2003 13:42:12 | More by pezoids
Schaefer from F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.