1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Schaefer - F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

SchaeferSchaefer

poor

awful

F & M Schaefer Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 08-21-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schaefer Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev +16.1%

16 oz. can> 16 oz. SA glass.

It's not really the color that i first noticed it's the lack of color, I mean this thing is really thin looking but it's kinda golden with yellow hues, my girl friend chimmed in with "it looks like pee". I couldn't disagree. The head is light and active but is gone pretty quick.

A semi-sweet, wheatie scented malt,a bit sweeter than I had expected and the malt is a bit more aromatic which is good. Herbal and mossy scented hops add a bit of balance to the nose.

This is really a honey0soaked, bready malt flavor , cream of corn, wheat 'n grains, a mild sour and grainy yeast. The flavor is a bit thin and watery, but it's true to style and displays no evidence of "naties" like a skunked or metallic flavor, which is nice. The complexity of low but in it's simplicity is effective.

Eventhough the body is light and thin, it's pretty crisp and it's lively feel doesn't become dull and flat right off like some of it's kind.

This is really not terible, I've had many macro Lager's that have simply been un-drinkable, I wouldn't put this in that catagory, but I'm not having another either.

2.68/5  rDev +2.7%

I bought a 12 pack of this it is readily available. My dad warned me not to drink it.

A- looks normal too me, clear and light yellow colored, just what I was expecting.

S- Smells ok kind of funky.

T- This beer is exceptionally smooth throughout but the first thing I noticed was it was kind of sour tasting, this is the first beer I have noticed this sensation.

M- mouthfeel is normal.

D- If someone had some of these cold enough I would have another. Probably wont buy it again unless the prices are slashed.

2.5/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pale yellow color with a fluffy head. Aroma is mainly one of malt and corn, vaguely sweet on the nose. Taste is sweet and tastes like corn with some malt at the back of the tongue. Somewhat bland and watery. Goes down pretty smooth though. Inoffensive and simple. Good beer for a hot day but nothing I'd buy.This is a beer you simply grill with or mow the lawn with.

3.25/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a fizzy white head that is gone in the blink of an eye. The beer is a clear pale yellow.

This smells a little sweet, mostly of corn and a little hops.

It starts of tasting sweet... almost malt liquor sweet, but by the third or fourth sip, it evens out and you get a nice even taste complete with hoppiness. It is one of the better cheap beers I have tasted, and I think I would take this over a Schlitz, or OM but it is definitely no Pabst.

Mouthfeel is okay, kind of watery, but all in all, not too bad.

This beer is incredibly drinkable, and is not that bad considering the price and the other beers within the category.

3.88/5  rDev +48.7%

Schaefer the one beer to have when you having more than one!! I've had more than one of these back in the day out of the ol' weekender case. Just picked up a twelver for an Abe this past weekend for a fishing trip, out of the lawnmowers, good ol' Schaef is a fav.
Appearance is a cool, old school beer label, which states "America's oldest Lager" since 1842 they must be doing something right. Served in a pilsner glass,pour revealed a foamy albugineous head and a caliginous aurulent body. Surprisingly a good amount of lacing throughout the glass.
Smell is of corn, with light malts and hop notes.
The taste and mouthfeel of this brew is light, crisp,somewhat bready,with sweet malts, faint hops and a slight dry finish. Lighter carbonation than most macros, not as fizzy as some would expect for a beer in the category.
Overall this is a very drinkable beer, it's a pretty easy drinking macro with some flavor , very similar to Ballantine ale.

2.45/5  rDev -6.1%

Schaefer pours a pale yellow color with a thick white head from a twelve ounce can. There is a strong adjunct aroma, and a not very pleasant one at that. Very light bodied and tastes primarily of corn. Better than I remembered it, but still not very impressive.

2.1/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color with a medium white head that fades quickly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malt, corn and other adjuncts with a slight touch of hops.

T: The taste is of grain, corn and the typical light macro sweetness and adjunct bite. There’s very little hops presence. After-taste is sweet. Not much to it, but there isn’t much to expect from the style.

M: A little smooth and a little crisp, light-to-medium body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, the finish is a bit slick.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not filling at all, even within the style it’s not a very good beer. There are several other inexpensive beers that I would pick first.

3.33/5  rDev +27.6%

Picked this up 5.50 for 12! How can I not have bought this beer. 12oz can poured into pint glass

A: This looks much nicer than most other macros out there. Pretty dark for a mass produced beer, but I have to contest this beer being mass produced because it's the first time I've seen this beer in any case, still nice. Pours a one inch foamy white head with craters popping all over the place. The head is pretty good too, lasts much longer than BMC beers. Also has some decent lacing. If this was handed to me at a bar I'd drink it.

S: Smell is a bit disappointing after such a nice appearance. Sweet corn and ceral grain (the can says made from the "finest quality ingredients") which is a claim I suppose I have to believe because it has a much heavier corn scent than other BMC beers so maybe they're using the best feed corn possible out there at the Schaefer Brewing company.

T/MF: I have to admit I was a bit supprised as this beer has hints of hop character but does not last for long as it's quickly overpowered by the corn and grain flavors. The mouthfeel is slick and lightbodied with minimum hop bite and finishes very very clean.

D: The price is right and the taste is good enough. If you are looking for a decent macro at a decent price than this beer is for you.

2.42/5  rDev -7.3%

I found this beer at the store , $5.59 six-pack,nice

10 onz can

The appearance is nothing to be impressed about a "regular" yellow color.it has a little bit of "sweet" aroma. The taste of this beer is really nice,i was a little bit suprise, it has some nice flavor. People should try this beer is one of the best macro lagers i have ever taste.

3.15/5  rDev +20.7%

Surprisingly, this is not the crappiest beer I've ever had. This isn't anything fantastic, but it's not bad either. Smells okay, tastes refreshing and even bready, doesn't feel horrible. A great session brew, a great brew for a hot hot summer day. Served as cold as possible, this'll be great during your summer bbq.

3.35/5  rDev +28.4%

Huh. This was kinda surprising.
I think I'd take this over Pabst! but not really because Pabst has a sentimental hold over me.
But if asked which of the two is more suiting to the palate, I'd say this brew.
As cheap as you can hope a beer to be while being at the very least inoffensive, and at the most a nearly quite flavorful macro lager. There's some nice breadyness to be found from time to time.
Five or six dollars for a twelve pack? in the NYC area? Sign me up.

2.45/5  rDev -6.1%

An interesting beer to say the least. It has characteristics of... of... oh the hell with it... the only reason I drink this beer is becuase it's $5 a 12-pack at a local deli/liquor store. If you're short on dough and need to get a buzz while watching Pulp Fiction. Schaefer's your boy.

P.S. I think I know the guy who's great grand dad started the comapny.

2.55/5  rDev -2.3%

Having lived in Arizona all my beer drinking life, I have decided to try all the classic beers not available to me then. Schaefer is cheap ($13 for a case of talls), and easy to pound, but dosen't have anything else going for it. Leave this one for the high school/ college kids.

3.33/5  rDev +27.6%

pours straw yellow. looks like miller high life but with less bubbles. the smell is a as expected for the style. definitly fits into the old man beer category but had to give it a try. the taste is incredibly plain. there isn't anything offensive, but there isn't much of anything at all. it's almost like there is no taste. but for some reason i don't fin it that bad. maybe because it's the beer to have when you're having more than one. as far as poundability goes, this one is up there. but i'd still place pbr and schlitz ahead of this classic american brew.

3.35/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

saw this beer at the package store in town and remembering it from my younger days just had to try again. poured light yellow with a one finger head that faded right away. smell is slight corn or cooked veggies taste about the same. mouthfeel crisp, light, well carbonated. even though there is not much going on with this beer its still pretty good nice and cold. brings back a lot good times.

2.45/5  rDev -6.1%

A: Clear golden color with a fizzy white head that bubbled off to macro-lagerland in no time flat. Streams of carbonated bubbles run to the top of the glass.

S: Corn and wet malts. Some metalic sweetness. Unimpressive.

T: Stale corn and wheaty cheap malt. Mild watery mineral flavor. Boring.

M: Some thickness, some crispness. Goes down easy. Probably the highlight of this brew.

D: For 5.99 a 12 pack, it doesn't get a whole lot better. Or worse.

Notes: From Cleveland OH's Biddulph Beverage, which gave me shit about my out of state ID. Fuck them.

2.48/5  rDev -5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My folks used to drink this one at picnics. It has too much corny chickenfeed character for me to finish it, and when I catch my friend sneaking a six pack down his slippery throat, I just cringe and shudder. These days, there are many beer "brands" out there owned by a few big breweries that are just keeping the names alone alive of all the great regional beers of eras past. Some aren't awefull, but they all just cater to stubborn old timers that don't want to admit the end.

3.33/5  rDev +27.6%

Very little scent on this one. Just a hint of malt as best as I can tell. Light golden color with very little head. Tastes rather good, albeit a bit watered down. Sweet and light bodied. Just a hint of hops. No off-flavors that I can tell. Very drinkable. I'd prefer craft beer when I can get it, but if I'm cash-strapped, I'd buy this long before any of the big things from BMC (I know Miller now contract-brews this, but still). Not a bad little beer. Inoffensive if nothing else.

I remember this from it being advertised during Red Sox games on the radio as "the one beer to have when you're having more than one." Now there's a producer who knows his consumers.

I was served a can recently. I decided not have more than one. This is pretty much a typical budget class macrolager-- pale, thin bodied, highly carbonated, obvious use of cheap adjuncts.... That said it actually has a little flavor is maybe a notch above most other really cheap beers and closer to the flagship products fabricated by Miller, AB and Coors.

2.42/5  rDev -7.3%

Schaefer pours a very clear yellow color with a short head, almost no lacing; Smell is like corn and sweet; Taste is not bad at all, nothing special; Mouthfeel is crisp and clean, very carbonated; Drinkability is good.

Cheap beer, good choice when I am broke.

¡Salud!

3.5/5  rDev +34.1%

I usually agree with tsguino from Mexico. He doesn't seem to be a "beer snob" and reviews the brews with utmost sincerety. Props to YOU my Mexican friend!

Decent brew...smooth with a very "yellow" color. The beer LOOKED nice in my glass, and it "worked" the whole time before being consumed...which, in all honesty, doesn't REALLY take me that long. But I took my time with this one and "let it do it's thing" in my glass. It's a tad bitter, but not much. VERY drinkable, and doesn't make you sick after downing a bunch of these cheap classics! I will go back to this brew as a "lawnmower" summertime thirst quencher. It has a little hop character....a little malt character...and really...little CHARACTER to speak of. BUT it's drinkable, not offensive in any way, and very refreshing. I'm glad I tried it, and I certainly will again. The nice thing about these "classics" I've been trying lately, (this, National Bohemian, and La Crosse.) is that they're NOT spending money on ADVERTISING, as B,C,M, etc... AND we're getting a product that's EQUALLY as good, if not BETTER in most cases! SO, my friends, why "give in" to the marketing hype...when you can have a CLASSIC American brew for MUCH less money....and even more flavor??!! They're not just nostalgic for the "cool-looking" cans and such....they are TIME-TESTED, un-advertised CLASSICS that are still in the stores for a reason! I'd recommend this to any macro, lager fans out there. If not for the smooth and refreshingly light flavor....then FOR THE PRICE!!!! Enjoy and cheers, my friends!

2.38/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured a light straw colored hue, with a 2 finger soapy foamy head. There was little in the way of retention and lacing.

The smell was mostly corn, with a slight sweetness.

The taste was a non-distinct macro adjunct coarseness. Some background sweetness, but for the most part dry.

The mouthfeel was okay as long as the beer was cold.

Overall an average American premium. Nothing special. Drinkable.

1.9/5  rDev -27.2%

12oz. can that a relative gave to me for free, so I lost nothing. A white can with the top and bottom of the label is gold and with a red Schaefer in the middle. In the gold it stated that it's "Proudly brewed in the U.S. with the finest quality ingredients." It's more than likely brewed with the finest corn and rice that U.S. can produce. It also states that it's America's Oldest Lager Beer. On the side of the can it would like to thank the Schaefer customers for their loyalty. I was also told that this beer is one of the cheapest rot gut beers on the market.

When poured into a Pilsener glass, the beer was the usual macro color of straw yellow, not urine yellow like some others. Got a nice 2 inch head of white foam that had good retention that left some rings and little sticky white lace around the glass. What can I say about the smell? I kept trying to get an aroma out of it but the only way I can describe the smell is that it smelled like beer. It had an ok macro taste of (at least it had a taste) little malt, corn, and some burnt hops at the end. At least the mouthfeel isn't as watery as I would have expected it to be. It wasn't too watery, smooth, carbonated, and with a sweet corn aftertaste. I'm sure that this beer would make a nice cheap summer brew! At least I found out for myself that this really isn't a rot gut beer.

1.58/5  rDev -39.5%

Pours a straw color with a dismal white head. No surprises here. Smells very grainy, which is fine by me, but there's this weird beef broth smell somewhere in there. Tastes like nothing but sugar with a hint of malt. Really, this has possibly less flavor than some light lagers I've had but with the bonus of being sickly sweet. I guess I should give it kudos for tasting somewhat like a malt beverage. Mouthfeel is like flat coke. Just gross. I don't want to drink this.

I'm not one to simply bash a macro lager just because it's a macro lager. I happen to enjoy some of them a great deal. This is really just that bad. Do yourself a favor and get Pabst or Schlitz instead of this. Same price but they actually taste pretty decent.

3.58/5  rDev +37.2%

Pours with an okay white head that is gone before you know it, leaving only a ring around the tub. Lots of bubbling, dead clear, with a straw yellow color. I have no trouble reading a credit card statement through the pint glass.

Smells grainy, with some corn and a little bit of skunky rice or something. Definite off notes, with a hint of hops gone bad. Although it's "average" for the style, it's not good, so I can't bring myself to give it a 3.

Surprisingly tasty and inoffensive! Very mild grain taste but it's my favorite type, that really pure corn taste that reminds me of Fritos. Present also in some Miller macro lagers. None of the skunked finish I was expecting ala a Euro Pale Lager, just more graininess. Faint hoppiness. Mmm graintastic.

Mouthfeel is very watery but hey, that's to the style. Carbonation is a little heavy, generating some burpage, but this is a "crisp" macro lager to use their preferred term.

I feel that the key to the macro lager style is inoffensiveness -- make an alcohol delivery vessel with a little something there but nothing to scare anyone off. That said, this really nails it. Drinking the Schaefer was not at all unpleasant compared to my normal macros (Miller Lite, Milwaukee's Best, Keystone, Labatt Blue). I don't know what the price was (I stole the can from a drunk friend) so I can't rate the drinkability higher, as cost is a huge factor in macro drinkability. Availability is also low in Ithaca -- I'd never seen Schaefer before.

Recommended enthusiastically within the category; Schaefer would make a great Power Hour or Beirut / Beer Pong beer, as it doesn't have any gross-factor that might induce vomiting.

Schaefer from F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.