Schaefer - F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

SchaeferSchaefer

poor

awful

F & M Schaefer Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 08-21-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schaefer Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -42.5%

VTBrewHound, Mar 18, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -52.1%

joseph_french, Mar 02, 2014

I've been drinking Schaefer for 48 years, from age 18 to my present 66. My children and their friends get a kick out of my still drinking the old-fashioned Schaefer. But for me their old advertising campaign slogan is true: "Schaefer, the one beer to have when you're having more than one."

It is a typical American beer. I don't think that's a derogatory comment -- American lagers suit my taste. They remain my favorite after 40 years or so of tasting ll different beers and ales from many countries. Schaefer closely resembles Budweiser, but Schaefer has a nicer finish for me that leads one to just reaching for another and continuing the enjoyment.

The appearance is a beautiful amber -- it makes me always want to drink from a glass just to enjoy the color. The smell is mild, pleasant -- here comes an honest beer. The taste: just a fine beer that goes with any beer food, be it steamed clams, hot dogs, hamburgers, steaks, etc. The mouthfeel -- again, it's a good-tasting beer that swirls nicely before it goes down.

Overall, it's a very enjoyable beer, especially when you're having more than one. It is an American, honest, consistent, well-done beer.

DeaconDan, Mar 02, 2014

digitalflood, Nov 12, 2013

SicemWT, Nov 04, 2013

InspectorBob, Oct 22, 2013
1.1/5  rDev -57.9%

Honestly, this is the second worst beer on earth. First place is the light version. We use to grab this in college for about 30 cents per can (and I was in college in the 2000's, not the 60's). Light gold color with some fluffy head I guess. Aroma is filthy corn and wheat, dirty must, and vomit. The flavor follows almost perfectly and this is really tough to get down during a game of beer pong. Avoid at all costs.

BMMillsy, Oct 16, 2013

3.75/5  rDev +43.7%

cheesepuffs, Sep 11, 2013

Duesler, Sep 06, 2013
3.35/5  rDev +28.4%

I still Remember the Schaefer Beer Jingle~"Schaefer is the One beer to have when your having more than One" and along with Shlitz,I stole a LOT of em from my Dads beer fridge when I was a kid..hehehe,and later on when I actually was allowed to drink,I drank swimming pools full of both beers,with Shlitz being my go2 beer & Shaefer being the beer I would buy when $$$ was tight..which was most of the time,I cant say it was a really gr8 beer,but it was much better then Blatz [both about $4.99 a case! hehe]
I had not had a Shaefer in well over 20 years,So when I came across a 40oz Fat Boy for $1.89 @ a crappy run down rural country store,I snagged up on it pronto,and thought that the beer probably was 10 years old & would break it out as sort of a joke when my buddies came over,and we all would laugh @ how crappy it tasted,as it turns out,I could not wait,and opened it up almost as soon as I got home,just to see if it was as bad as I remember~
poured it into a standard 16oz Pint glass & to my surprise,a nice fluffy 1 inch white head formed,and stayed there..I waited & waited for over 2 min's,but the head was going nowhere..WTF? a Bud's head is gone in 30 seconds,when I put the ole Sniffer to it,I smelled a nice sweet mild corn & grain aroma,also a slight grassy scent,not unpleasent at all..humm? Taste was very much the same,very mild & grainy with just the slightest bit of a citrus note and just a wee bit of a metallic taste in the background,I have to Admit that I was amazed at just how good this beer tasted,I Remember it being a LOT less drinkable back in the day,this was actually a very smooth,easy drinking beer! and honestly just as good..No,Better then a Ton of much Higher priced Macro lagers on the Market today,and if I could find it in Bottles in my Area,I would buy a case from time to time when money is tight,No doubt @ all!cheers & Peace2all.

Beerwolf666, Sep 02, 2013

mckowned, Aug 29, 2013
Schaefer from F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.