2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schaefer - F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

SchaeferSchaefer

poor

awful

F & M Schaefer Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 08-21-2001)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schaefer Alström Bros
Ratings: 196 | Reviews: 113 | Show All Ratings:
cpolking

Iowa

3.4/5  rDev +29.8%

This beer pours a light golden color with a rapidly disappearing head. The aroma has a bit of grain, lager and a touch of bitter hops. The taste follows the aroma. It has more grain, lager and touch of hops than your average macro American adjunct lager. It drinks very crisp yet smooth in its mouth feel due to its heavy, yet fine, carbonation. This is quite good for its category.

11-25-2010 00:11:45 | More by cpolking
scoobydancer

4.2/5  rDev +60.3%

Schaefer, is the...one beer to have when you're having more than one. Hop-hop, sittin' pretty. All together in Schaefer city.

Hell, this beer is not bad at all for the price.

My dad drank this beer...and as a Patriots fan, I LOVE this beer. Heck, my dad took me to Schaefer Stadium in the 70's. Those cold benches freezed my ass off. Funny, that I can mostly find it in aluminum cans these days seeing that I watched Jim Plunkett on aluminum benches.

So, now that I'm actually old enough to drink the stuff, I find it better than bud. Sure it's full of corn and maybe rice, and has a filmy aftertaste - but, it's *way* better Budweiser. No wonder my dad loved it. And it makes me remember Plunkett to Vathaha back in the days before Tom Brady.

This is a damn good beer.

11-19-2010 15:41:45 | More by scoobydancer
hmk22

Full disclosure -- I bought a 12-pack only because it was on deal (@$5.99) at my local grocery store -- I seem to recall Schaefer having a sweet/rice-y taste. Its not as bad as some other offerings, but nothing to write home about. Without the discount I don't think I would buy again, but I would buy this over the 3-headed BMC monster. Decent beer taste, not enough hops for me, kind of a go-to beer at the end of the night when taste/quality seem (for some reason) to become less important.

10-23-2010 02:52:44 | More by hmk22
puboflyons

New Hampshire

2.53/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From the 40 fl. oz. pounder. Sampled on September 6, 2010. I have never had Schaefer in a bottle believe it or not. For the last 30 years or so that I have been drinking beer I have only ever had it from the can. The bottle surpasses the can.

What more can I say about Schaefer? It is an icon from the Golden Age of beer with its pale yellow look, corny, grassy, and slightly hopped scent and light body. The taste is a typical adjunct lager with lots of corn and grass and a spritzer of hops. It is a good hot weather beer.

09-06-2010 23:14:11 | More by puboflyons
huxcrunner

3.08/5  rDev +17.6%

pours with a good deal of white head, is a light golden yellow, very small hint of malt and hops pretty smooth light taste and for the price it really cant be beat better then most one of the the better cheap beers, good clean mouthfeel makes this have pretty good drinkablity

09-05-2010 01:02:44 | More by huxcrunner
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.88/5  rDev +48.1%

Schaefer (no longer sold in Louisiana, only Schaefer Light sold in the state now) has a thick, white head and a very clear appearance. It is highly carbonated. The aroma is mild, but barley and hop spice can be clearly detected with a sniff into the glass. A grain adjunct (corn?) is also present underneath. The taste is mild and very typical for American beer- it's beery. Mouth-feel is light and watery (it's always been marketed as a volume-drinking brew). Schaefer finishes crisp, snappy, and refreshing. This is about as ordinary of a beer as one can get, but it's a good, solid, and credible brand. Overall, I give this lager a pretty high rating and recommend you give it a try.

RJT

07-24-2010 20:06:53 | More by RonaldTheriot
Gmann

2.75/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale straw color, clear as can be. The brew has a short lasting soapy white head that settles into almost nothingness. The aroma is grainy and a bit veggie like; light sulfur. The taste is sweet with some light grain. Fairly clean flavors while still cold. Not much cooked veggie or sulfur flavors, which is great. The feel is light, a bit watery, with fizzy carbonation, drinks crisp. Drinks quite well, though not giving it any time to warm up. Doesn't have many off-putting flavors that the style is known for. Actually doesn't have much flavor at all.

05-15-2010 22:45:20 | More by Gmann
bornridiculous

2.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Schaefer is one of those beers that you buy because you get more beer for your dollar. Really a vehicle for alcohol than a beer. Drinks easy, cheap, actually quite representative of its style. I believe it loses points for over-carbonation, lousy head, slightly watered down body and taste. There is okay hop characteristics, aroma is average, taste is average. However as far as getting something for your money, its not terrible.

04-18-2010 04:24:12 | More by bornridiculous
garak99

4.08/5  rDev +55.7%

Good Tasting Beer and at the Right Price . It's not like those over priced beers that boast all kinds of things that do not matter. Schaefer Beer taste good and has a nice look does anything else matter. If your looking for a good value I paid $13.99 for a 30 can case.

12-29-2009 02:08:04 | More by garak99
bob3701

3.45/5  rDev +31.7%

Poured into a shaker pint although I thought about drinking straight from the can. Pale golden yellow with a big head that disapates into a thick film. I was surprised to see that I got lacing. I actually wanted to give this higher marks in taste but restrained myself. You see this beer was my Dad. This is what he drank and the beer I took many a childhood sip of. It is harder and harder to find this beer and actually picked it up to make beercan chicken. But this was a swig down memory lane for me. I am surprised that it still tastes pretty much the same; since Schaefer went under this beer has been passed around alot.

12-18-2009 23:31:27 | More by bob3701
deaconoflove

3.58/5  rDev +36.6%

Ap. Very very pale yellow gold with a fine white head. Significant lacing.
Sm. Pale smell too. Slight grainy cheap beer smell. There is some faint hops in there.
Ta. Pale taste too. Slightly tart finish.
Mf. Pale with nice carbonation.
Dr. Full disclosure...Schaefer's is my favorite cheap beer. I drink more Schaefer's than any other single beer. Is it good? Not particularly. Is it drinkable? Very much so. Is it cheap? Bingo.

11-10-2009 18:17:18 | More by deaconoflove
wiseguy142

3.05/5  rDev +16.4%

This is by far the clearest beer I've ever seen in my life. Big soapy head, slight yellow tinge. Both aroma and taste are bready and rich... there is definitely a bit of flavor in this beer. Beats Coors Light and other adjunct lagers hands down. Only served at a local dive bar, but it keeps me coming back.

10-19-2009 02:39:51 | More by wiseguy142
Clydesdale

District of Columbia

2.68/5  rDev +2.3%

A: A standard macro lager appearance here: pale yellow, with a foamy white head that doesn't stick around too long. A bit of soapy lacing.

S: Base haylike malt, along with a mild corn aroma. Sweet, in a subdued sort of way. Some bland herbal hop character is also available.

T: Somewhat grainy initially. Quite sweet for such a dry lager - definite corn syrup notes to this one. Again, a nondescript herbal hop twang provides a bit of depth but little else.

M: On the crisp and dry side. Medium carbonation. Pretty standard.

D: Of the many retro adjunct lagers I've tried, this doesn't hold up especially well. Too oddly sweet, and otherwise generally lacking in character. The oldest lager beer in America seems to be showing its age a little.

10-10-2009 18:12:10 | More by Clydesdale
Ezone024

3.13/5  rDev +19.5%

Schafer is definitely a great beer to go to when you're broke or having a party.

it looks like regular beer and it tastes like "beer".

i don't see how people will pay 12 bucks for a 12 pack of budweiser when you can get the schaef for $6. it has way more character and flavor than most popular american crap lagers. if you drink enough you can actually start picking out some hop flavor although it is buried under a sweet malt, it's there!. Next time your thinking about budweiser or miller , just go grab some schaef's. it's the beer to drink when you're having more than one.

10-02-2009 23:40:35 | More by Ezone024
tone77

2.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from ma 16 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is surprisingly sweet, some hints of corn. Taste is missing for the most part. Very watery with a small amount of beer flavor. Feels watery in the mouth. Drinkability is decent, good for beer games. Overall there is not much to like about this one.

10-01-2009 23:05:28 | More by tone77
Kooz

2.3/5  rDev -12.2%

Big's grandfather gave a bunch of these. They are at least a year old...

Upon opening the can, I noticed 2 things--something was floating in it and there was a bad odor. The odor never subsided, but thankfully the taste wasn't so bad. Sort of mellow, not as watery as I expected. Let me cut his short--I would drink these again, but only as a last resort.

09-19-2009 23:52:36 | More by Kooz
ghebb

2.95/5  rDev +12.6%

Not a great beer, but not horrible either. I'm not sure why this one gets dissed and PBR is loved, when it tastes almost identical to PBR (to me anyways). Again you're know your not getting a high class beer here, but thats not the point. It's cheap, and refresing on a hot day (great to bring to the beach as well).

08-16-2009 16:01:10 | More by ghebb
sbe1

There's just something about this beer that I've always had a soft spot for. Maybe because I drank so much of it (along with Milwaukee's Best) in my youth.

I'll enjoy a draft once in a while when I find it available. I have to say that I think a lot of people are being unfair to this beer -- there are a lot of worse crappy beers than this, and an ice cold Schaefer right from the tap can be just the right thing to drink every now and then.

It's a pale yellow, light bodied, cheap beer that, when ice cold, is easy as hell to drink (and to drink a lot of). It doesn't stand out really from a lot of other cheap American beers, but I like it once in awhile.

07-31-2009 06:07:09 | More by sbe1
woodychandler

2.95/5  rDev +12.6%

CAN you believe that this was a beer that I drank in my youth? I CAN!

My current jacket has a Schaefer patch on the back at the 9 o'clock position to Three Floyds Alpha King, so it is quite visible. I was sitting at IHLNC on Saturday night when this woman tentatively comes up to me, taps me on the shoulder and meekly asks if she could look at my jacket since she and her companions were cowed by the "biker at the bar". Hey, I'll be the first to admit that the tats, the beard, and the jacket might be off-putting, but I never thought of myself as scary. When I looked over, one of her mates was a colleague of mine. Ha! Once she got over her fear, she spontaneously broke out in song, singing their famous jingle about "having more than one". It took me back to my early years as a teenage drinker and Schaefer was one that we routinely consumed.

The pour created a finger of bone-white head with low retention. It was like it got tired of standing around and decided to simply sit down. It sat atop a golden-yellow beer with NE-quality clarity. The nose had a cereal/grain-y quality which I have slowly come to recognize in these beers. I do not get upset about it, but it CAN taint my pleasant memories. Mouthfeel was very fizzy with a slight cereal taste on the tongue. I actually liked the action of the CO2 as a palate cleanser. Finish was mild, slightly sweet, mostly unobtrusive. It is a lawnmower beer, to be sure. Other than that, I would probably relegate it to the Pleasant Memories file.

07-06-2009 16:23:58 | More by woodychandler
SFLpunk

Vermont

2.7/5  rDev +3.1%

16oz aluminum can. BB date 06-08-9 on bottom.

Appearance: Poured into a .5L willy becker. .5 inch quickly receding white head atop a clear tan-yellow body with tiny and lively bubbles.

Nose: Ah, sweet corn. Smells like oxidize wheat beer, if that makes any sense. I presume this is a lager?

Palate: Sharp entry with light carbonation and medium- to light-body. There's some sweetness to it, but it's kept in check by that crisp sharpness. Light biscuit and corn-on-the-cob, with a hint of hop bitterness on the finish (which is short and unpleasant).

Notes: Not a great beer, I gotta say, but not far off from BMC. I'd actually rather drink this than any of the Big Three because there's less offensive flavors here than in any of the others.

06-09-2009 06:29:25 | More by SFLpunk
Gyle41386

South Carolina

2.53/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a clear yellow/gold color. Unfortunately, the initial 3+ fingers of foam fade away the second you turn your back. Doesn't look like we'll be seeing any lacing here.

Nose is sweet and grainy. Hints of cooked corn. The initial whiff is quite astringent.

Flavor is entirely lightly sweet malt with a corn finish. There's a metallic bitterness that I guess you could call hops. Standard adjunct lager flavor.

Light body. Soda-like fizz. Dry finish. Smooth, easy drinker, like every other adjunct lager. This is a beer you drink when you don't feel like thinking about what you're drinking. I guess it's refreshing, though. I'll give the drinkability a 2, because that's how many sips it took before I got tired of this one.

05-14-2009 04:42:49 | More by Gyle41386
CrellMoset

2.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Can courtesy of dkachur, poured into (inappropriately enough) a brandy snifter.

Appearance: Pours a light, pale yellow - almost lighter than the last old world canned lager I gave a shot to (Stroh's) - with a fast-fading, one-finger of fizzy, snow white head. Carbonation is faint, fine, and well-dispersed. Below average.

Aroma: More hop presence than the Stroh's - there's a definite spicy, slightly leafy thing goin' on, which almost lends the pale sweetness (note: the sweetness is a little phonier in this one, sort of sickly sweet) a graham cracker-like undertone. Decent.

Taste: More of the same. A sweet, honey-like, pale malt backbone, rife w/ cornyness, supporting only the barest of hop note artistry, lightly grassy. It's not "bad," but it's definitely simplistic and fake.

Mouthfeel: Perhaps a little more even than the Stroh's. A body of medium thickness - never a good thing in beers that taste like this - with some mild, still slightly uneven carbonation, making for a slightly fluffy but, yes, still too thick beer.

Drinkability: Eh. Not a fan. Fake, sweet, simplistic, whatever adjectives you'd like to use. It was tough for me to even devote this much energy, attention, and time to the review, but I know it's for a greater good, yes? Lager beers can be so much more than this.

03-28-2009 19:22:34 | More by CrellMoset
Proteus93

2.25/5  rDev -14.1%

Can courtesy dkachur. Thanks?

A: Not horribly pale, but it's still quite a light yellow. Head forms quickly, and shows promise, but then pretty much vanishes as quickly as it came. As it is consumed, some spots of lace appear on the sides, but they disappear moments later, as well.

S + T: Grainy and just the slightest bit vegetal. There's an unusual sweetness to it that I can't quite place.

M + D: Carbonation seems just a little too light and it is missing a bit of crispness. It goes down incredibly easily, but without the other elements to make it worthwhile, that doesn't really matter much.

03-19-2009 01:05:13 | More by Proteus93
Tone

Missouri

2.78/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a clear yellow color. 1/2 inch head with good retention and slight lacing. Smells of adjunct in lager. Fits the style. Tastes of adjunct in a weak lager. Of the weaker lagers I've had this one is the smoothest and best combination of taste and easy of drinking (still no saying much). A crisp body with average carbonation. Overall, still not a real good beer, but if you're going to drink the style this one is worth a try.

12-14-2008 23:13:46 | More by Tone
magictrokini

The formalities first: pours clear yellow, fizzy white head. Disgustingly sweet corn syrup and metal aroma. Cotton candy and grass flavor, along with something sour and sweaty. Yay.

I brought this to a party one night as a joke. There just happened to be a cute blonde from Indiana that liked Schaefer. Needless to say, that was a really good night.

12-10-2008 19:25:19 | More by magictrokini
Schaefer from F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.