Schaefer - F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

SchaeferSchaefer

poor

awful

F & M Schaefer Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 08-21-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schaefer Alström Bros
Ratings: 240 | Reviews: 124
2.35/5  rDev -9.6%

A: Pours an extremely light straw color. The hard pour gave it a nice head but it quickly dissipated and left virtually no lacing.

S: Corn, straw and grass.

T: Corn, straw and grass, very slight hop touch. Very light in flavor.

M: Thin and highly carbonated, but that is to be expected.

Overall: Cheap swill. Better than a lot of american adjunct lagers but that's not saying too much. Not bad tasting or offensive, just not what beer should be.

There is a restaurant in Purdys NY called the Blazer Pub...some of the best burgers in the NY Tri-state area, and a regular stop for me. Well, recently they decided to go retro and are now offering, in cans, Schaefer, Ballantine, Rheingold and Schlitz....with PBR on tap. Whether you like these beers or not, the concept tickled my fancy and I decided to make my way through the list; revisiting some of the beers of my youth. None of them are great; in fact most of them are poor in comparison to the Captain Lawrence offerings that the Blazer also has on tap. But you know what? They were like an old friend, a blankie that I could hold at the bar and not feel self conscious about. Yes, I drank them all proudly and chances are, I will again.

2.7/5  rDev +3.8%

Out of a bottle this beer was a clear, straw color with one finger of white head. The retention of the head was average and it left spots of lacing. The aroma was of pale malt, corn, a bit of grassy hops and a hint of sweet malt. The flavors were mostly of cereal grains, pale malt and corn with some sweet malt too. Very little hops. The body was light, the carbonation appropriate and the mouthfeel fine.

3.3/5  rDev +26.9%

12oz can served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear yellow with a short-lived white head.

S - grains, corn chips.

T - a bit grainy but the sweetness is not horrible, it's plain and simple beer but it's better than most plain and simple beers.

F - light and crisp.

O - just another beer but it's a classic in my book.

Appearance: 1 inch head, straw yellow in color, clear, high carbonation

Smell: grass, straw, and adjuncts

Taste: corn, straw, and adjuncts

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, light bodied, sweet

Overall: This is arguably my favorite beer in the style. This was the first beer I had regularly, so that probably has much to do with it. On a hot day, I could easily session this. Nothing midblowing, but smooth adjunct without any weird aftertastes.

2.38/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance: Golden yellow, say 4 SRM. Crystal clear, well-filtered.

Smell: Sweet, slightly corny, slightly malty.

Taste: Thin, watery, nothing lingers. Sweet malty flavor is less than nose leads on. Sugary cereal flavor, though.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation, very thin.

Cool though because, after drinking the six pack, you don't consider as much the flavor, aroma, etc., feel great, and are out much less cash than if you were to opt for the slightly better option at 4 times the price. BUZZ

1.85/5  rDev -28.8%

Ah Schaefer, the beer your grandaddy grew up on. This is the beer I got for $2 a pitcher in college, from a guy who always let his cigarette ashes fall in the food and beer that he was serving. Appetizing, yes. It appeared watery yellow, with no significant head. The smell was like a watered down Budweiser, but less skunky and more fresh (a good thing, no?). The flavor...well, let's just say it was refreshing and not too "flavory." I'm in a kind mood. The mouthfeel was flatter than fizzy, and overall it's a good cheap beer to not turn your nose up at because, well, let's face it, there's no such thing as a bad beer...at least not one that's this cheap.

2.48/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a nice pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger creamy white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is sweet, with some malt notes, slight hop note. The taste is sweet, with some malt/hop notes. Light body. Drinkable, but not by much.

3.65/5  rDev +40.4%

So after my first experience tasting beer, Miller High Life, at a tender 4 years of age, my memory claims that Schaefer was the next malty tryst. This would've been while I was 15. It was under the boardwalk one summer night, can in hand. Peak excitement. The Schaefer can, for a good 2 years afterward, made it into several of my drawings and even as a prop for a puppet I made in HS art class - unbeknown to me til recent the whole Bass Ale thing with fine art painting way back....

So revisiting it now for the first time since 15, I find it to be a quite tasty cheap malt beverage. Reminiscent of Pabst BR at first. That feeling fades in short time.

The appearance screams "fancy". Champagne yellow-gold. Big, white fizzy head, decent lacing. All typical. What I didn't count on was some microscopic particulates tainting its otherwise expected clarity. (PS - poured in my 0.5L Unibroue Euro Pint, of course)

Prototypical profile of sweet corn amidst the ultra-light malt in nose and on tongue. Another thing I didn't count on was its somewhat potent bitterness (tongue, nose), almost hop-like in character. The bitter in flavor came off grassy or dandelion stemian. Notable grain flavor as well with a weird sort of mineral/vitamin-pill smack aftertaste. Thankfully, there's not a trace of harshness or bite throughout and I thought it was actually fairly smooth. Easy drinking indeed.

My drinking buddy and I agree that Schaefer is quite surprisingly quaffable. Make some room in th' fridge!

On a personal note: I wanted to make this review #300, but I goofed and it ended up being 299. Wait! I paid $2.99 for the 6-pack! Creeepy.

3.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Had a can for $3 at Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem. It poured a clear gold with a tall white head. There wasn't much to say about this beer. It's generally clean and inoffensive, with just a light caramel malt taste. It had a little of that dry, adjunct lager bite, but it was fine for washing down a pork sandwich.

2.68/5  rDev +3.1%

A second episode of bad beer Thursdays with America's Oldest Lager beer -- in a can. Picked this up at the corner for 89 cents...89 cents? Yeah I want to try it.

Beer is yellow and clear with a big head and a lot of lacing, carbonation low to moderate.

Aroma is weak and mildly sweet.

Beer is light in body and light in flavor. There is about 20 IBUs in this beer and that's good otherwise is grainy water. This is not very good at all, but I guess it doesn't taste BAD, but that's not something to aspire to be. It is cheaper than water though...

3.37/5  rDev +29.6%

This beer pours a light golden color with a rapidly disappearing head. The aroma has a bit of grain, lager and a touch of bitter hops. The taste follows the aroma. It has more grain, lager and touch of hops than your average macro American adjunct lager. It drinks very crisp yet smooth in its mouth feel due to its heavy, yet fine, carbonation. This is quite good for its category.

4.2/5  rDev +61.5%

Schaefer, is the...one beer to have when you're having more than one. Hop-hop, sittin' pretty. All together in Schaefer city.

Hell, this beer is not bad at all for the price.

My dad drank this beer...and as a Patriots fan, I LOVE this beer. Heck, my dad took me to Schaefer Stadium in the 70's. Those cold benches freezed my ass off. Funny, that I can mostly find it in aluminum cans these days seeing that I watched Jim Plunkett on aluminum benches.

So, now that I'm actually old enough to drink the stuff, I find it better than bud. Sure it's full of corn and maybe rice, and has a filmy aftertaste - but, it's *way* better Budweiser. No wonder my dad loved it. And it makes me remember Plunkett to Vathaha back in the days before Tom Brady.

This is a damn good beer.

Full disclosure -- I bought a 12-pack only because it was on deal (@$5.99) at my local grocery store -- I seem to recall Schaefer having a sweet/rice-y taste. Its not as bad as some other offerings, but nothing to write home about. Without the discount I don't think I would buy again, but I would buy this over the 3-headed BMC monster. Decent beer taste, not enough hops for me, kind of a go-to beer at the end of the night when taste/quality seem (for some reason) to become less important.

2.53/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From the 40 fl. oz. pounder. Sampled on September 6, 2010. I have never had Schaefer in a bottle believe it or not. For the last 30 years or so that I have been drinking beer I have only ever had it from the can. The bottle surpasses the can.

What more can I say about Schaefer? It is an icon from the Golden Age of beer with its pale yellow look, corny, grassy, and slightly hopped scent and light body. The taste is a typical adjunct lager with lots of corn and grass and a spritzer of hops. It is a good hot weather beer.

3.05/5  rDev +17.3%

pours with a good deal of white head, is a light golden yellow, very small hint of malt and hops pretty smooth light taste and for the price it really cant be beat better then most one of the the better cheap beers, good clean mouthfeel makes this have pretty good drinkablity

3.85/5  rDev +48.1%

Schaefer (no longer sold in Louisiana, only Schaefer Light sold in the state now) has a thick, white head and a very clear appearance. It is highly carbonated. The aroma is mild, but barley and hop spice can be clearly detected with a sniff into the glass. A grain adjunct (corn?) is also present underneath. The taste is mild and very typical for American beer- it's beery. Mouth-feel is light and watery (it's always been marketed as a volume-drinking brew). Schaefer finishes crisp, snappy, and refreshing. This is about as ordinary of a beer as one can get, but it's a good, solid, and credible brand. Overall, I give this lager a pretty high rating and recommend you give it a try.

RJT

2.75/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale straw color, clear as can be. The brew has a short lasting soapy white head that settles into almost nothingness. The aroma is grainy and a bit veggie like; light sulfur. The taste is sweet with some light grain. Fairly clean flavors while still cold. Not much cooked veggie or sulfur flavors, which is great. The feel is light, a bit watery, with fizzy carbonation, drinks crisp. Drinks quite well, though not giving it any time to warm up. Doesn't have many off-putting flavors that the style is known for. Actually doesn't have much flavor at all.

2.85/5  rDev +9.6%

Schaefer is one of those beers that you buy because you get more beer for your dollar. Really a vehicle for alcohol than a beer. Drinks easy, cheap, actually quite representative of its style. I believe it loses points for over-carbonation, lousy head, slightly watered down body and taste. There is okay hop characteristics, aroma is average, taste is average. However as far as getting something for your money, its not terrible.

4.01/5  rDev +54.2%

Good Tasting Beer and at the Right Price . It's not like those over priced beers that boast all kinds of things that do not matter. Schaefer Beer taste good and has a nice look does anything else matter. If your looking for a good value I paid $13.99 for a 30 can case.

3.4/5  rDev +30.8%

Poured into a shaker pint although I thought about drinking straight from the can. Pale golden yellow with a big head that disapates into a thick film. I was surprised to see that I got lacing. I actually wanted to give this higher marks in taste but restrained myself. You see this beer was my Dad. This is what he drank and the beer I took many a childhood sip of. It is harder and harder to find this beer and actually picked it up to make beercan chicken. But this was a swig down memory lane for me. I am surprised that it still tastes pretty much the same; since Schaefer went under this beer has been passed around alot.

3.56/5  rDev +36.9%

Ap. Very very pale yellow gold with a fine white head. Significant lacing.
Sm. Pale smell too. Slight grainy cheap beer smell. There is some faint hops in there.
Ta. Pale taste too. Slightly tart finish.
Mf. Pale with nice carbonation.
Dr. Full disclosure...Schaefer's is my favorite cheap beer. I drink more Schaefer's than any other single beer. Is it good? Not particularly. Is it drinkable? Very much so. Is it cheap? Bingo.

2.99/5  rDev +15%

This is by far the clearest beer I've ever seen in my life. Big soapy head, slight yellow tinge. Both aroma and taste are bready and rich... there is definitely a bit of flavor in this beer. Beats Coors Light and other adjunct lagers hands down. Only served at a local dive bar, but it keeps me coming back.

2.7/5  rDev +3.8%

A: A standard macro lager appearance here: pale yellow, with a foamy white head that doesn't stick around too long. A bit of soapy lacing.

S: Base haylike malt, along with a mild corn aroma. Sweet, in a subdued sort of way. Some bland herbal hop character is also available.

T: Somewhat grainy initially. Quite sweet for such a dry lager - definite corn syrup notes to this one. Again, a nondescript herbal hop twang provides a bit of depth but little else.

M: On the crisp and dry side. Medium carbonation. Pretty standard.

D: Of the many retro adjunct lagers I've tried, this doesn't hold up especially well. Too oddly sweet, and otherwise generally lacking in character. The oldest lager beer in America seems to be showing its age a little.

3.12/5  rDev +20%

Schafer is definitely a great beer to go to when you're broke or having a party.

it looks like regular beer and it tastes like "beer".

i don't see how people will pay 12 bucks for a 12 pack of budweiser when you can get the schaef for $6. it has way more character and flavor than most popular american crap lagers. if you drink enough you can actually start picking out some hop flavor although it is buried under a sweet malt, it's there!. Next time your thinking about budweiser or miller , just go grab some schaef's. it's the beer to drink when you're having more than one.

Schaefer from F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.