Schaefer - F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

SchaeferSchaefer

poor

awful

F & M Schaefer Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 08-21-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schaefer Alström Bros

Duesler, Sep 06, 2013
3.35/5  rDev +28.8%

I still Remember the Schaefer Beer Jingle~"Schaefer is the One beer to have when your having more than One" and along with Shlitz,I stole a LOT of em from my Dads beer fridge when I was a kid..hehehe,and later on when I actually was allowed to drink,I drank swimming pools full of both beers,with Shlitz being my go2 beer & Shaefer being the beer I would buy when $$$ was tight..which was most of the time,I cant say it was a really gr8 beer,but it was much better then Blatz [both about $4.99 a case! hehe]
I had not had a Shaefer in well over 20 years,So when I came across a 40oz Fat Boy for $1.89 @ a crappy run down rural country store,I snagged up on it pronto,and thought that the beer probably was 10 years old & would break it out as sort of a joke when my buddies came over,and we all would laugh @ how crappy it tasted,as it turns out,I could not wait,and opened it up almost as soon as I got home,just to see if it was as bad as I remember~
poured it into a standard 16oz Pint glass & to my surprise,a nice fluffy 1 inch white head formed,and stayed there..I waited & waited for over 2 min's,but the head was going nowhere..WTF? a Bud's head is gone in 30 seconds,when I put the ole Sniffer to it,I smelled a nice sweet mild corn & grain aroma,also a slight grassy scent,not unpleasent at all..humm? Taste was very much the same,very mild & grainy with just the slightest bit of a citrus note and just a wee bit of a metallic taste in the background,I have to Admit that I was amazed at just how good this beer tasted,I Remember it being a LOT less drinkable back in the day,this was actually a very smooth,easy drinking beer! and honestly just as good..No,Better then a Ton of much Higher priced Macro lagers on the Market today,and if I could find it in Bottles in my Area,I would buy a case from time to time when money is tight,No doubt @ all!cheers & Peace2all.

Beerwolf666, Sep 02, 2013

mckowned, Aug 29, 2013

Jersh67, Aug 28, 2013

EBeckett3, Aug 10, 2013

GibbonsTheBeerGuy, Jul 19, 2013
2.96/5  rDev +13.8%

Bought a 40 oz bottle from Windmill Liquors in Orleans, MA on 7/8/13 for $ 2.55.

Poured into a glass tumbler served at fridge temp.

appearance: pale, brassy yellow with a 2 finger, snow-white head. Nice lacing.

aroma: faint hoppiness, a little corn and some mustiness.

mouthfeel: decent, full.

taste: gentle for an adjunct with enough hops to balance a slight sweetness which leaves a mineral like saccharin taste.

notes: it is what it is. I wish it didn't have the weird aftertaste because otherwise this would a decent, little beer.

fx20736, Jul 09, 2013

Hopheadjeffery, Dec 22, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -32.7%

dvmin98, Nov 13, 2012
3.38/5  rDev +30%

Picked up a 16 oz at Whole Foods Devon for $.99 how could i pass that up. These are the beers we drank as kids, this, Schmidts, Ortleibs (we were drinking Joes beer before it was known as Joes beer) before we graduated to Miller High Life, Genessee Cream Ale, Rolling Rock and the like. What a nostalgic blast this was. Thanks Joe at WF Devon.

And you know what, really wasnt bad at all. Drank from the can, poured a little to take a look. Light pale pour, big fluffy white cotton candy head. Nice. Bready sweet malts and even a little hops for balance. Decent mouthfeel. No off tastes, and a nice break from the usual hop and stout onslaught.

Overall very pleasant. I dont rate to style much (if at all), this is scored on its own merits. Just a good, plain old adjunct lager. And better than lots of craft ive had, yes i said it.

B33R501, Oct 26, 2012
Schaefer from F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.