Schaefer - F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

SchaeferSchaefer

poor

awful

F & M Schaefer Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 08-21-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schaefer Alström Bros
Ratings: 240 | Reviews: 124
2.71/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from ma 16 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is surprisingly sweet, some hints of corn. Taste is missing for the most part. Very watery with a small amount of beer flavor. Feels watery in the mouth. Drinkability is decent, good for beer games. Overall there is not much to like about this one.

2.2/5  rDev -15.4%

Big's grandfather gave a bunch of these. They are at least a year old...

Upon opening the can, I noticed 2 things--something was floating in it and there was a bad odor. The odor never subsided, but thankfully the taste wasn't so bad. Sort of mellow, not as watery as I expected. Let me cut his short--I would drink these again, but only as a last resort.

2.91/5  rDev +11.9%

Not a great beer, but not horrible either. I'm not sure why this one gets dissed and PBR is loved, when it tastes almost identical to PBR (to me anyways). Again you're know your not getting a high class beer here, but thats not the point. It's cheap, and refresing on a hot day (great to bring to the beach as well).

There's just something about this beer that I've always had a soft spot for. Maybe because I drank so much of it (along with Milwaukee's Best) in my youth.

I'll enjoy a draft once in a while when I find it available. I have to say that I think a lot of people are being unfair to this beer -- there are a lot of worse crappy beers than this, and an ice cold Schaefer right from the tap can be just the right thing to drink every now and then.

It's a pale yellow, light bodied, cheap beer that, when ice cold, is easy as hell to drink (and to drink a lot of). It doesn't stand out really from a lot of other cheap American beers, but I like it once in awhile.

2.94/5  rDev +13.1%

CAN you believe that this was a beer that I drank in my youth? I CAN!

My current jacket has a Schaefer patch on the back at the 9 o'clock position to Three Floyds Alpha King, so it is quite visible. I was sitting at IHLNC on Saturday night when this woman tentatively comes up to me, taps me on the shoulder and meekly asks if she could look at my jacket since she and her companions were cowed by the "biker at the bar". Hey, I'll be the first to admit that the tats, the beard, and the jacket might be off-putting, but I never thought of myself as scary. When I looked over, one of her mates was a colleague of mine. Ha! Once she got over her fear, she spontaneously broke out in song, singing their famous jingle about "having more than one". It took me back to my early years as a teenage drinker and Schaefer was one that we routinely consumed.

The pour created a finger of bone-white head with low retention. It was like it got tired of standing around and decided to simply sit down. It sat atop a golden-yellow beer with NE-quality clarity. The nose had a cereal/grain-y quality which I have slowly come to recognize in these beers. I do not get upset about it, but it CAN taint my pleasant memories. Mouthfeel was very fizzy with a slight cereal taste on the tongue. I actually liked the action of the CO2 as a palate cleanser. Finish was mild, slightly sweet, mostly unobtrusive. It is a lawnmower beer, to be sure. Other than that, I would probably relegate it to the Pleasant Memories file.

2.68/5  rDev +3.1%

16oz aluminum can. BB date 06-08-9 on bottom.

Appearance: Poured into a .5L willy becker. .5 inch quickly receding white head atop a clear tan-yellow body with tiny and lively bubbles.

Nose: Ah, sweet corn. Smells like oxidize wheat beer, if that makes any sense. I presume this is a lager?

Palate: Sharp entry with light carbonation and medium- to light-body. There's some sweetness to it, but it's kept in check by that crisp sharpness. Light biscuit and corn-on-the-cob, with a hint of hop bitterness on the finish (which is short and unpleasant).

Notes: Not a great beer, I gotta say, but not far off from BMC. I'd actually rather drink this than any of the Big Three because there's less offensive flavors here than in any of the others.

2.48/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a clear yellow/gold color. Unfortunately, the initial 3+ fingers of foam fade away the second you turn your back. Doesn't look like we'll be seeing any lacing here.

Nose is sweet and grainy. Hints of cooked corn. The initial whiff is quite astringent.

Flavor is entirely lightly sweet malt with a corn finish. There's a metallic bitterness that I guess you could call hops. Standard adjunct lager flavor.

Light body. Soda-like fizz. Dry finish. Smooth, easy drinker, like every other adjunct lager. This is a beer you drink when you don't feel like thinking about what you're drinking. I guess it's refreshing, though. I'll give the drinkability a 2, because that's how many sips it took before I got tired of this one.

2.67/5  rDev +2.7%

Can courtesy of dkachur, poured into (inappropriately enough) a brandy snifter.

Appearance: Pours a light, pale yellow - almost lighter than the last old world canned lager I gave a shot to (Stroh's) - with a fast-fading, one-finger of fizzy, snow white head. Carbonation is faint, fine, and well-dispersed. Below average.

Aroma: More hop presence than the Stroh's - there's a definite spicy, slightly leafy thing goin' on, which almost lends the pale sweetness (note: the sweetness is a little phonier in this one, sort of sickly sweet) a graham cracker-like undertone. Decent.

Taste: More of the same. A sweet, honey-like, pale malt backbone, rife w/ cornyness, supporting only the barest of hop note artistry, lightly grassy. It's not "bad," but it's definitely simplistic and fake.

Mouthfeel: Perhaps a little more even than the Stroh's. A body of medium thickness - never a good thing in beers that taste like this - with some mild, still slightly uneven carbonation, making for a slightly fluffy but, yes, still too thick beer.

Drinkability: Eh. Not a fan. Fake, sweet, simplistic, whatever adjectives you'd like to use. It was tough for me to even devote this much energy, attention, and time to the review, but I know it's for a greater good, yes? Lager beers can be so much more than this.

2.25/5  rDev -13.5%

Can courtesy dkachur. Thanks?

A: Not horribly pale, but it's still quite a light yellow. Head forms quickly, and shows promise, but then pretty much vanishes as quickly as it came. As it is consumed, some spots of lace appear on the sides, but they disappear moments later, as well.

S + T: Grainy and just the slightest bit vegetal. There's an unusual sweetness to it that I can't quite place.

M + D: Carbonation seems just a little too light and it is missing a bit of crispness. It goes down incredibly easily, but without the other elements to make it worthwhile, that doesn't really matter much.

2.73/5  rDev +5%

Pours a clear yellow color. 1/2 inch head with good retention and slight lacing. Smells of adjunct in lager. Fits the style. Tastes of adjunct in a weak lager. Of the weaker lagers I've had this one is the smoothest and best combination of taste and easy of drinking (still no saying much). A crisp body with average carbonation. Overall, still not a real good beer, but if you're going to drink the style this one is worth a try.

The formalities first: pours clear yellow, fizzy white head. Disgustingly sweet corn syrup and metal aroma. Cotton candy and grass flavor, along with something sour and sweaty. Yay.

I brought this to a party one night as a joke. There just happened to be a cute blonde from Indiana that liked Schaefer. Needless to say, that was a really good night.

2.75/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Poured out a clear, bubbly, straw-yellow color with a small, white, fizzy, one-finger head. No lace.

S - It smelled of grains and corn. Not much else there.

T - It tasted of grain, light caramel malt and some corn. Some bitterness, maybe from some hops. Not offensive tasting but not great, either.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A light bodied beer that is pretty easy drinking.

D - Not too bad for the style. Cheap and easy drinking. It works in a pinch.

3.38/5  rDev +30%

I've had this beer many times throughout college. I had a few more this past weekend. It's a macro lager...but better than budweiser or mgd. doesn't seem as skunky. you're not gonna get much hop flavor out of it. mostly cereal grains are the taste here. mouthfeel is light body. drinkability is about as good as you can get. it's a beer if you're planning to have a party with some of your good buds.

3.13/5  rDev +20.4%

Crystal clear yellow colored liquid. Half inch airy white colored head faded over a minute. Loads of carbonation in tiny bubbles rising slowly. A few lacing spots.

A very earthy grain aroma dominated in the nose, but finished with a light buttery sweetness. Faint light floral hops aroma is a bit to weak to balance out the grain.

An ultra crisp grain taste had a note of light green apple rind on the end. A nice light hops bitterness surprised with the way it balanced out.

A true carbonation bomb. This beer continues to tingle as it runs like water down the throat.

An O.K. beer in the style. Works great to pair with grilled burgers and hot dogs. A good choice in a style known for sub-par brew. Great for quenching thirst on a hot day.

1.45/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

The can assured me I wasn't drinking water. I wasn't expecting anything great when I picked up a twelve pack, I knew it was swill but I needed something for when I was painting. Never poured it out of the can so I am assuming that it is very pale yellow in color with a slight head and good carbonation. The aroma was non-existent. Mouthfeel was very thin, I have never had a beer that was this thin. The flavor is very subtle which makes this an easy drinking beer. At first I thought it was really bad, but after a couple it started to grow on me. Overall a drinkable beer that lacks any distinguishing qualities, the odds of me buying this again are slim to none.

2.36/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours straw yellow with a fluffy white head that starts out well enough but soon collapses in a typical macro lager fashion.

The smell is some sweetness and husk. Clean overall, though.

The taste is of some sweetness and a touch of husk. Not much of anything, really. Clean and pretty inoffensive. Finishes with a watery crispness.

Typical light body for the style. Pretty fizzy, but not overly so for the style.

A cheap lawnmower beer, and will do as such, I suppose. It is what it is.

3.9/5  rDev +50%

Presentation - 12oz can, poured into a pilsener glass

Appearance - Pale gold with a white, foamy head that dissipated within a couple minutes

Aroma - light grain and malt with just a little hop

Taste and Mouthfeel - very crisp and refreshingly carbonated. A light malt sweetness and flavor followed by just a hint of hops and then... wow... you know That Macro Flavor(TM) that accompanies just about all of them? It's not there in Shaefer. Just a nice, clean finish with a memory of the malt. This tastes like a very light munich helles.

Notes - This was a TOTAL surprise to me, and a pleasant one at that. It actually tastes good and doesn't have that typical macro off flavor. It's nice and refreshing. This ranks right up there with Schlitz to me. And at $2.79 per six pack, it's my new cheap beer of choice.

2.35/5  rDev -9.6%

have not had this beer in years. i was not even certain it was still made. i found a twelver in Columbus so's i picked it up. the first poured ok into the glass the carbonation was decent but the head settled quickly. pale color. the smell was faint sweet grain. the taste was similar. the second i drank right from the can. this is another of the many good bbq, lawnmowing, thirst quenching beers. i sucked up the one from the can in about four or five chugs...decent.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.56/5  rDev +36.9%

Pours a light golden with a thin white head.Just a bit of retention,and decent lacing. Aroma is yeasty,with a hint of grassy hops. Body is on the light side,and carbonated. Taste has a that of a decent macro (few though there are)with a somewhat creamy edge. Bit of a bite to the finish.

1.73/5  rDev -33.5%

I am slowly but surely knocking out all the mainstays of my college days.

The thing I remember about this beer was how sour it was. It poured the typical yellow with big white foam head of most macrolagers, but it actually had some flavor to it. That flavor being skunk with some sour bite.

Other than that: watery and forgettable.

3.08/5  rDev +18.5%

Bought a 12 pack for $4.15 at Krogers, got it ice cold and easily drank the whole thing. Awoke the next morning with no hangover. A good beer to have on a hot summer day and when you just want to get hammered. A beer without pretense for those without pretense. Bukowski probably drank some of these. I'm sure he did.

3.19/5  rDev +22.7%

This beer pours a crystal clear brownish gold. I admire the presence of the gold here. It actually stands out a bit. The head, after a hard pour, wasn't much to speak of. Just a thin dull white collar.

Smells of dry stale corn and old concrete. That's about it. There's also a slight ambiguous dryness that I can't locate the source of.

The corn is there in the flavor, but it just comes and goes, kicking in a bit of corn bread and sour orange and lime rind. The grainy elements fade quickly and leave my mouth devoid of anything but a numb sourness. Hmmm.

Feels light, but slightly syrupy. That being said, it's also pleasantly clean. This lets me know that I'm actually drinking something and am not in a rush to slam it.

At $13 a 30-pack, this beer is about exactly what you're paying for. It's non-offensive and has just enough character to get your attention.

3.28/5  rDev +26.2%

One of the beers that have been around way before I have.Classic pale golden color with a thick head that quickly fades.Taste and aroma is your typical corn or rice macro lager.Smooth and drinkable,a beer that I have enjoyed in the past,now and in the future.You have to do something right to be around this long!!

3.02/5  rDev +16.2%

16 oz. can> 16 oz. SA glass.

It's not really the color that i first noticed it's the lack of color, I mean this thing is really thin looking but it's kinda golden with yellow hues, my girl friend chimmed in with "it looks like pee". I couldn't disagree. The head is light and active but is gone pretty quick.

A semi-sweet, wheatie scented malt,a bit sweeter than I had expected and the malt is a bit more aromatic which is good. Herbal and mossy scented hops add a bit of balance to the nose.

This is really a honey0soaked, bready malt flavor , cream of corn, wheat 'n grains, a mild sour and grainy yeast. The flavor is a bit thin and watery, but it's true to style and displays no evidence of "naties" like a skunked or metallic flavor, which is nice. The complexity of low but in it's simplicity is effective.

Eventhough the body is light and thin, it's pretty crisp and it's lively feel doesn't become dull and flat right off like some of it's kind.

This is really not terible, I've had many macro Lager's that have simply been un-drinkable, I wouldn't put this in that catagory, but I'm not having another either.

2.68/5  rDev +3.1%

I bought a 12 pack of this it is readily available. My dad warned me not to drink it.

A- looks normal too me, clear and light yellow colored, just what I was expecting.

S- Smells ok kind of funky.

T- This beer is exceptionally smooth throughout but the first thing I noticed was it was kind of sour tasting, this is the first beer I have noticed this sensation.

M- mouthfeel is normal.

D- If someone had some of these cold enough I would have another. Probably wont buy it again unless the prices are slashed.

Schaefer from F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.