Citra-Simcoe Centennial Ale - Lengthwise Brewing Company

Citra-Simcoe Centennial AleCitra-Simcoe Centennial Ale

pDev: 16%
Lengthwise Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: LXIXME on 10-28-2013

A double dry hopped ale. We add an extra dose of Citra and Amarillo dry hops to our Centennial Ale for an super hop experience!
Ratings: 56 | Reviews: 4
Reviews by soughtbygod:

One of my go-to brews, whether on tap at L-dubs or bottled to enjoy by the pool and BBQ.
This citrus style Ale is easy to drink with an ABV of 6.5% and pairs well with many foods, from salads to steaks. Get it while it lasts and enjoy till the last drop.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a hazy golden orange with egg shell head that clings to the sides of the glass.

S - It's not an "in-your-face" smell, which is why I didn't give it a higher rating, but you can smell citrus and hops. Nice smelling none the less. It's beer!!

T - Absolutely delicious! I was very very impressed with this beer. Definitely taste the Citra hops along with grapefruit, orange with a slight tinge of honey. I am completely baffled by the chuckleheads who gave this a 1 rating. Having just moved to Bakersfield, I am excited that this beer is local and that I, hopefully, can keep it stocked in my fridge.

M - Medium to light and very refreshing. What a perfect summer beer

O - I honestly did not think I was going to get much when I bought this beer. But with it being local, I had to give it a try. Glad I did because this is a damn fine beer. If you get the chance, grab yourself a bottle or few. Cheers!

4.96/5  rDev +16.7%

A fantastic low ABV IPA. Super delicious, the hops just sort of congregate in your mouth. I'm a bit of a hop head, I was always a fan of Centennial Ale but this brought to it everything it could have been missing. Lengthwise rarely misses the mark, on this one, bullseye. If anyone could put Bakersfield on the map, or even central California, it's Lengthwise. This beer is a direct expression of that.

3.33/5  rDev -21.6%

Aroma: Very vibrant, citra hops come through very well (shocker for this hop...) Mango, grapefruit, pineapple, Simcoe comes in with the pine and spice very well, great aroma to this beer. Once the head is gone the smell is muted quite a bit. There is also a rather strong sweet malt/astringent presence as well, it is very hard to describe but it is noticeable. 3.75/5

Apparence: Pours a great copper/orange color and leaves a decent head, dissipates quickly. The color is very vibrant which is great for this beer. 4/5

T: Very muted compared to the nose, assuming this is due to overly dry hopping. Tastes almost watered down and for a 6.5% ABV IPA that is something you wouldn't expect. That sweet malt/astringent smell is quite noticeable to the palate primarily on the finish and it isn't very pleasant, this flavor is particular in many of their brews as well. You do notice the floral and citrus hops but again it is muted and watered down. Once the head is gone the beer drops off even more but it is still not half bad. It is very refreshing and is a good beer on a hot day. 3.25/5

M: Rather thick for an American IPA for 6.5%, a little sticky as well. Assuming it has to be the malt choices but not very sure, this beer does have a sweet side to it, this beer would be a lot better if the finish was light and crisp. 2.5/5

O: Again another alright beer from Lengthwise, it's definitely worth a go, like I said this is more of a hot day refreshing beer, I'm sure it is better on tap as well. I don't see how this beer is rated so well, this beer doesn't quite compare to most of the stuff that's out there in this category, but that being said I'll buy this every once in awhile to support my local breweries.

Citra-Simcoe Centennial Ale from Lengthwise Brewing Company