Traverse Brewing Company Stout - Traverse Brewing Company

Traverse Brewing Company StoutTraverse Brewing Company Stout

Traverse Brewing Company

Foreign / Export Stout |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: proc on 10-16-2002)
View: Beers (0) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by proc:
proc

3.75/5  rDev +39.4%

A very drinkable stout. Not well known outside of northern Michigan, but it should be. Pours out to a jet black color, with a very nice chocolate and coffee presence. Hops are there and very noticeable on the finish without being overwhelming, with a nice dose of roasted malt. Good stuff.

10-16-2002 19:19:25 | More by proc
jspruit

Denmark

2.65/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Got this in a package from USA, so it may have experienced some shipping issues along the way. Decent smell with a dark pour and a 1/2" head that disappeared quickly. The taste was a bit sour and not too full, but maybe that is because it seemed a bit flat. Not alot of fullness to the taste, but I liked it more than others seemed to like it. I would give it another try if another bottle made it my way.

02-09-2007 21:58:42 | More by jspruit
shivtim

Georgia

Pours a deep brown/black with a thin brown head. Decent lacing. Nose is sweet buttery milk chocolate and roasted malts. Taste starts out as smoky malts, then quickly shifts to sour grapefruit that lingers. Way too sour. Mouthfeel and drinkability are average.

12-28-2006 00:59:49 | More by shivtim
thagens

1.65/5  rDev -38.7%

This is the first and probably the only beer that I will try from Traverse Brewing. I was thouroughly unimpressed and slightly disgusted.

Appearance: Looks good. Nice dark brown and opaque. Had about an inch of light brown head that didn't last long at all.

Aroma: The smell really wasn't to bad. Nice chocolate scent, but that's about it.

Taste: What in the world? This was one of the most offensive beers I have tasted. It has a nice chocolaty back bone to it, but the sourness ruins everything. I like my stouts to be more on the bitter side not the sour side.

Mouthfeel: If it wasn't for the sourness the feeling is pretty good. Good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: I had a hard time finishing one. The first few sips are tolerable, but after a couple minutes the sourness just becomes too much.

I will definitely not be buying this one again.

10-27-2006 17:28:08 | More by thagens
thelagerheads

I've read only scathing reviews of this creature and I'm not quite sure why people are so offended by it. Sure, it's sour and spicy à la Jolly Pumpkin, but it's also rather stouty with a musclar backbone. I can't say it is my favorite dark but it certainly rivals the Madrugada Obscura (or what I remember of that goddamn impossible to find beer-friend) and that says a lot to me when it's on par with the craft's craftiest craftsmen. I have to admit that I didn't expect what I found here when I opened the bottle and got what I thought was a hoppy burp from the bowels. But it's sour and dark and as strange as that sounds it's a winner from top to dregs.

10-23-2006 21:16:36 | More by thelagerheads
cproioi

2.93/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Was given this stout by my mother after she came back from a trip to visit family in Michigan. Pouring the beer it revealed a nice dark body that had faint tints of amber around the edges and a rocky fluffy tan head. The beer gives off aromas of bakers chocolate and very little to no coffee aromas that I expect in a stout. It was a nice chocaltey smell. The taste was something very similar to a chocolate soda. Which I'm not entirely crazy about. Yet it wasn't too bad nothing to write home about. For a stout this beer was rather thin and watery in body, but went down rather smooth.

While drinking this I felt like I had to place vanilla ice cream in it to see what it wold be like. But alas I had no ice cream.

*Note yes it goes very well with Ice Cream. Try a vanilla bean ice cream. It's nice.

07-27-2006 02:48:46 | More by cproioi
nortmand

1.58/5  rDev -41.3%

Damn. My first dumper. And the bitch of it, my uncle, who is just getting into good beer gave me this and said "I must not like this style." I thought he was crazy, as this beer used to be pretty decent, but this was extraordinarily sour. Sour smell, very sour taste. Very disappointing. Even the mouthfeel had a bleachy, sticky abrasiveness. Too bad. I've had unintentionally sour beers before, but have never dumped one in my life. Until now. Next order of business: Mixed six of Storm King, Starboard, Chicory stout, Poet, Chocolate stout and Dark horse imperial to prove to my uncle just how good stouts can be, so we don't re-lose him to the swill that is bud.

11-08-2005 00:07:51 | More by nortmand
SupaCelt

3.03/5  rDev +12.6%

Hey my bottle looks just like the one in the featured photo. Label kinda falling off and all. This stuff pours a dark ass ruby blackness. Large fluffed up tan head. Not much lacing to remember it by. I hafta love it just because it looks like stouts look.

The smell was very delicious. Grainy smelling and chocolatey. Easy on the coffee pings.

The taste ended up being my least favorite attribute. It smelled fabulous. Looked good and proper. The taste just did not follow suit. This one was almost bland. What a pisser. High expectations dashed by a weak flavor. There just was no solid taste here. Much too watery and mild. Porter might be a more appropriate designation based on this bottle. Almost good if not for the lightness and the underexpressed flavor.

03-30-2005 06:07:32 | More by SupaCelt
CortexBomb

2.2/5  rDev -18.2%

Solid black in colour, with a minor amount of head. Smell is mainly vanilla and malt dominated.

Taste...not impressive at all. Firstly, the alcohol presence here is on par with a 10% plus beer, yet it's barely over 6! This is a hallmark of another couple of stouts that I dislike, the Arcadia offerings, and it didn't start the brew off on the right foot.

The rest of the flavour is a sour/bitter effect...also not impressive.

The mouthfeel on this is decent for a 'standard' beer, but for a stout I have to knock it down to sub average while the drinkability reflects my feelings on the flavour, not good.

The bottle claims this is a 'Gold Medal Winner', I'm curious where, and what other beers were available at the time, because this beer was nothing that I'd even call average for it's style!

03-17-2004 01:12:01 | More by CortexBomb
granger10

Wisconsin

2.93/5  rDev +8.9%

Black in color with a small head. Smell is of many malty substances. Chocolate hits the fore front and lets in coffee, caramel, toffee, burnt grass, sand, etc. Lots of flavors but they seem pungent when working with one another. Alcohol taste is strong, too strong, unenjoyable. Hoppiness is only noticed after the finish when alcohol subsides. Not bad but too astringent for my liking.

03-15-2004 18:33:04 | More by granger10
marburg

2.58/5  rDev -4.1%

Fluffy brown head atop a blackish brew. Molasses cookies, vanilla beans, and chocolate dominate the aroma. There's a buttery, semi-sour acidity that lingers here and there in this brew, prompting me to wonder if this bottle is good or not. Very, very thin and light-bodied. Hardly "stout-like." Unimpressive, uninspired, and uninspiring.

12-09-2003 01:33:20 | More by marburg
Mitchster

Opaque black with nary a head, just a thin little rim of bubbles. Mild carbonation. Aroma is thick with vanilla, black molasses, whiskey, butterscotch, and port wine. Mouthfeel is syrupy, thick, and cloying. Taste is of caramel, burnt marshmallow, butterscotch. Fusel alcohols are strong, and become quite obtrusive. Alcohol content is inappropriately high. Finish is of cocoa, imitation vanilla extract, and burnt caramel sugars. Not a good stout. In case you don't know, Mackinaw Brewing Company and Traverse Brewing Company share the same brewing equipment and same yeast strain, their beers inevitably end up tasting very similar. Compares to MBC's Stout.

02-06-2003 19:08:34 | More by Mitchster