Black Label Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 140 | Reviews: 54
Reviews by icefisherman:
3.53/5  rDev +55.5%

well to start off $5 a 12-pack is a hell of a buy anywere in my opinion so on to the reveiw appearence yeah. . . . well its a pretty can no glassware was offered but im going to say it was not needed smell well yeah it smelled like cheap beer to me not bad at all taste is were it shines and does it ever shine hard mmm mmm good a slightly sweet and slight unplaceable note but still freakin delicious mouthfeel was just a little on the light side not impressed is an understatment would i drink it/buy it again yes on all acounts

Presentation: 16 oz can or better know as a half quart, red back ground with the traditional black label. No freshness date to be found.

Appearance: Crystal clear pale yellow brew, white head forms as quickly as it disappears, virtually no head is left after 15-20 seconds.

Smell: Sweet grain, smells a bit of raw cane sugar. Slight hop twang in the nose, pretty clean smelling.

Taste: Light bodied with a well placed smoothness, a light smoothness with just enough crispness. Thin malt mouth feel, a bit watered down though clean on the tongue. Malt sways from a touch of residual sweetness to a crisp biting semi astringent grain. Faded hop bitterness easily balances out the weak malt character. Some cooked corn grits flavour with more grain in the dry finish.

Notes: Nothing to write home about, decent when it is ice cold, when it warms up it becomes unpalatable. Produced for mass consumption ...

1.12/5  rDev -50.7%

One of my housemates jokingly said bring him back some back label when I asked what kind of beer I should get, and at 5.00 for a 12 pack I figured it was worth the novelty to try it. Wow, was I wrong after pouring my first one and realizing this is one of the sadest looking beers around with a yellow fizzy and thin white head this is the most boring beer I have seen. Aroma is full of cooked vegetables and smells like the burp after drinking a shitty beer, and when it comes to taste it had some sweetness there but it also had this unbearable harsh finish to it just horrible nothing good or positive to say about it. Weak carbonation thin body this beer sucks, and the drinkability you would think at least you could get drunk off of this one right??? Well, I only had a couple of 'em, however my friend who requested drank about five or six and he said he had a mild buzz but he threw in the towel because he said it felt like someone hit him in the head.

1.63/5  rDev -28.2%

When a man goes to the store and buys himself a 40 of OE, he is looking to get drunk and is willing to sacrafice the taste of the beer to save the money in his wallet.

But there is no excuse for the taste of Black Label.It is carbonated apple cider with some everclear poured in. Starts off sweet, but the only other flavor you get on top of that sweetness is the bitter taste of pure alcohol in the back your throat.

I can tolerate such a disgusting beer so long as it is done in the name of alcohol by volume and low cost. But to have a beer with about a 4.3% abv be not even easy to drink, I see no reason to ever purchase this brew (I use the word loosely) again.

I drink cheap beer frequently, as I am poor. But one thing I expect of my low abv cheap beer is that it be easy to drink, almost like water. Don't even look at this stuff.

1.11/5  rDev -51.1%

Black Label was introduced to me by a friend who brought it to my Bad Beer Party/Ping-Pong Tournament! Basically whoever brought the cheapest beer per can/bottle would win a prize ( $5 chotchke) Anyway, My friend who brought the Black Label ( $1.99 six-pack) won 1st place. Obviously I didn't think this Bad Beer Party through very well because at the end of the day I was stuck with a fridge full of Black Label, Piels, Meister Brau, the Beast, & Schaefer! (actually Schaefer's not THAT bad)

So, with a fridge full of swill I eventually made it to the Black Label. (Don't want to pour it out my lawn didn't do anything to deserve such treatment)

Black Label is the WORST beer I have ever had the displeasure to let slither down my throat!!
It was a typical piss color and had no head! The smell was of piss too. (Hey is someone playing a joke on me!)

The taste was of pure skunkness! NO hoppiness, no maltiness, no sweetness, no nothing, just plain rot gut. Honestly the beer tasted like the smell of old rotting beer! I could not believe it so I tried another! Well, I got what I deserved another punch in the gut!

Black Label is beyond description. It is that bad, honestly stay away. It's not even worth experimenting or even as a joke.
Just give the $2 as a tip to the Paerboy!

3.13/5  rDev +37.9%

Carling Black Label brewed by Heileman in Milwaukee. Although it was once a premium beer, this is now a price-point lager. It pours a straw gold body beneath a full head of bright white foam that drops shortly to an average collar and thin surface covering. Minor splashes of lace are present throughout the first half of the glass but they don't hold. Still, it's bright and clear; and the effervescent, fast-rising bubbles add something to its appearance. Surprisingly, some very light hops are muddled up with the malt in the nose, taking it just slightly beyond a generic beer aroma, and there's the typical lager note of sulphur as well. The body is light and its median carbonation leaves it delicately crisp and then smooth in the mouth. The flavor delivers a perfectly balanced combination of lightly sweet, adjunct enhanced malt and mildly spicy and herbal hops over a sublime bitterness. If only there was just MORE flavor to it. Still, there's just enough character and flavor here to make this a "drinkable" beer. It finishes dry with a swirl of malt and underlying hop, but no bitterness; and some delicate malt lingers in the mouth. Still, this is not bad at all, and I'd gladly quaff this instead of most light beers anyday. Of course, it's not really much more than a light beer as it is.

Average at best, in reality. But throw a kennel of labs in the cooler in the back of your bro's full size Chevy Blazer and hit the Cascades with it, and it picks up some sentimental points...

2.94/5  rDev +29.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some notes of malts and corn. Taste is crisp, mild, some bitterness at the finish, nothing offensive just not a lot going on. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a mediocre brew.

2.81/5  rDev +23.8%

Poured from 12 fl. oz. can no. B82-82355C. It pours a pale yellow with bubbly carbonation that keeps trickling up the side of the pint glass. I note an aroma of grass, corn, and maybe some hops. Watered down on the mouth. The taste is somewhat metallic. I don't rate it quite as bad as other BA raters.

2.36/5  rDev +4%

Back in college, we used to stock our vintage Coke machine(the kind where you pull the bottles out sideways) with Black Label bar bottles, $5.99/case. Thank god that Coke machine was ice cold. Not a terrible beer, though.

2.58/5  rDev +13.7%

I bought a case on a whim as "lake beer." It pretty much took the whole season to polish it off, as this became the "last beer in the cooler" choice on most outings. It is a cheap beer, not a terribly bad cheap beer, but you get what you pay for here. Lots of corn and a whiff of hops. A bit tart with a tolerably grainy finish. Fine for a hot day - when it is the last beer you have.

3.34/5  rDev +47.1%

Poured out of a 40oz into a Pint Glass

A- Crystal clear light yellow tint with a pearl white two finger head. Couldn't believe the lack of color in this beer.

S- Not much to it, sweet grainy smell with slight hops.

T- Once again not to much there, just a sweet malty, grainy taste with a slight hops backround which is suprising. Was kind of pumped to actually taste hops in a malt liquor. Definitely IMO the best tasting 40 beer.

M- Excellent mouthfeel. Real light and smooth with a decent amount of carbonation, enough to tickle the throat as it goes down. Nor does it leave the mouth dry by any means.

Overall if your looking for a good 40 and something to just relax with, i'd recommend this beer over all the others. No foul alcohol taste or trouble getting this one down, it's actually worth getting every now and then when you don't have much to spend.

2.4/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light straw yellow color with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, pungent adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is mostly adjunct & light malt sweetness with bready flavors of grain and barley. There's a very mild hops presence. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: A little smooth and a little crisp, very light body, high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily because there's hardly anything to it, not filling at all, very mild kick, this one is as drinkable as any fizzy yellow beer and it's low price helps it find a market niche, but I wouldn't want to drink it if I had much else to choose from.

4.3/5  rDev +89.4%

I love this beer. I hear so many say this beer is bad but when asked when is the last time you tried it they say years ago or they heard it was bad. I love the look, taste and finish. Some what easy to find. This is my beer of choice. I think a true classic.

3.38/5  rDev +48.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this because it was really cheap at a bar I was at recently, being $2.00 a can. Poured out of a 12 oz can into a pint glass. this beer is a very clear light to medium gold color. Head is a good 1/4 inch when poured, before settling to a nice surface coating about 5 minutes later. I was surprised at the very decent surface layer that I had from a beer of this caliber. Pretty decent lacing too. Smells of somewhat sweet malt and some grain of corn, as is typically found in these types of beers, were present. The taste pretty much followed suite. Somewhat sweet and malty flavors along with the aforementioned corn or grain flavor. No discernible hops whatsoever. The taste is certainly somewhat bland and uninteresting, but also not offensively shitty and bad like many other cheap macro lagers are taste wise. The first thing I thought of when I started sipping beer is that it reminded me a lot of PBR, only for me to find out when I logged on here to write my review that this beer is brewed by Pabst. This beer is pretty much like a clone of PBR, at least to this palate. I doubt that I, or most of you guys could tell the difference in a blind taste test. The price is comparable to PBR too. It has a somewhat crisp and smooth light to medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. Easy to drink, partially because this is like drinking seltzer water more than beer, which is never a good thing when it comes to beer. I have to admit though, I don't really see a reason why this beer even has a need to exist as long as PBR is around.

Eric

3.65/5  rDev +60.8%

Taking the style of this beer into consideration (American Adjunct Lager in this case), I try not to judge a beer on its style, but rather how does it compare to others of the same style, and how I would rank it accordingly. I fear too many give their reviews on their bias on how they feel about the style, I try my best to not do that.

Poured into a Pilsner glass giving me a three and a half finger wide head of bubbly white foam, similar to a soapy appearance. The color is pale straw, true to its style. The smell seemed typical of this style; grainy and sweet with a pungent smell of corn added for adjunct (boosts alcohol and shortens brewing time) with faint malts and fainter hops (typical to the style). Taste matches scent profile very well. Grains and sweetness are the first things tasted, followed by flavors from the malts and adjunct off-flavors, and finishing with very faint hop bitterness.

All in all, this is a very excellent example of the A.A.L. style. It has good flavor and balance, crisp mouthfeel, and good finish. Not the best example of the style, but pretty good.

2.02/5  rDev -11%

I CAN't believe that I have not reviewed this before now.

This was the first beer that I ever tried and that was at the tender age of ~ 5 y/o. My late Pops, who rarely drank, had some buddies from work over and I was given an open can to take a sip or two. I remember really liking its bitterness and then inadvertently spilling the remainder onto the carpet. That was then.

Now, it got two fingers' worth of rocky, bone-white head with lousy retention. Color was a straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a faint lager-like sweetness, but it was barely discernible. Mouthfeel was thin with a light lager sweetness on the tongue. Finish was light, airy, ethereal. I need more from a beer.

1.58/5  rDev -30.4%

Has that wispy head and light golden color that are typical of this style. Smells like sweet corn and bread. Taste starts out as sweet adjuncts but sours as the beer warms. Mouthfeel and drinkability are nothing to write home about-CBL is pretty weak.

2.72/5  rDev +19.8%

Suprisingly, not a bad beer. Very crisp and clean taste, not unlike PBR. Kind of hard to find in the metro Detroit area, I had to drive an hour away to get a case (5.99), but i feel it was worth it. It's worthy of a try if you enjoy straight-forward lagers, or are looking for a budget brew.

2.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was at the local packe picking out a sixer of some good stuff while this little number caught my eye. It was parked in the corner of the store by the door, sandwiched in between mountains of 30 packs of cheap macros. It was just a lone 18 pack billed as a 15 pack with 3 free beers. It was screaming out "buy me", kinda like the runt of the litter at the local puppy pound, just begging to be picked up and loved, this beer had something that made it stand out and I was going to give it a home.

Got home chilled them for awhile the first can was cracked up open, poured into a cooled mug, can gave off a sweet, malty corned smell, actually kinda strong. The appearance was nice, mild yellow color, lots of carbonation ,bubbles popping up and a thick foamy white head. Taste is alright,it is a decent tasting beer, I wasnt expecting much, it's sweet, somewhat flat and kinda dry.
Mouthfeel was pleasant enough. Drinkability- I had 2 of these one kinda chilled poured into a mug for description purposes and initial reaction ;and in a cold can the way this beer really should be served.
Overall not a bad beer at all, just make sure it's serve cold.

2.87/5  rDev +26.4%

Pours a dull pale yellow but also pours a decent head. Clean taste but thin and watery, not much flavor. Laregely inoffensive but also there is nothing distictive. While it has little or no aroma it also has no chemical taste. Still a decent thirst quencher on a hot day.

2.2/5  rDev -3.1%

No need to bother with the details on this macro-brew. Let's just say that drinking it is more of a chore than a pleasure, sure it tastes relatively better than other similar cheap beers but with an ABV of 4.0 you get disgusted with the stuff before you even get buzzed enough to forget how bad it is. Personally, I use this beer to cook with and it adds enough flavor to the food but it doesn't overwhelm and take over a dish.

2.11/5  rDev -7%

It isn't easy trying to track down exactly who or what brews this beer (and where), but some other BAs touch upon the subject a bit more eloquently then I could, so I will just say it is contract brewed in America somewhere. There are quite a few beers called "Carling Black Label" so tracking it down here at BA posed a slight challenge as well. I think I got the right beer here, so after going through all the trouble to review a VERY mediocre brew, here it goes:

Black Label pours a clear, somewhat pale light yellow color. The best and most surprising part of the brew is that a decent foamy head forms and actually lasts for quite some time. Perhaps "head retention" agents were used in the brewing? The smell is your standard husky adjuncty smell that you usually find in any cheap canned brew. There is a very sharp carbonation present, much like seltzer water. The taste? Not too pleasant. Adjuncty, husky, vegetable-like, with some medicine-like taste. A bit on the bitter side when all is said and done. The cooked veggie taste lingers on and the beer finishes off with some alcoholic warmth.

Yes, this brew pretty much defines your standard, bland American macro. Supposedly my grandparents drank this stuff, but I would bet that is beer was probably a lot better in its heyday.

3.36/5  rDev +48%

Contract brewed by Miller in MIlwaukee under the name Heileman for Pabst, did you get that ? This is a budget, low end beer, no advertising, no promotion, limited distribution. Pretty popular in bars in the Frankenmuth, MI area for 1$-1.50$. On to the beer. Clear straw but lacks the brightness of some of its competitiors. What little nose there is is grainy, definitely not offensive. Head is medium-full with good retention, erratic size bubbles in the head. Flavor is light, slight fruity, slight grassy, not much at all. Finish is short and crisp, ready for another. Fire up the Toro, it is time to cut the grass.

2.98/5  rDev +31.3%

An O.K. beer that isn't that bad of a deal for the money. It does have a watery flat taste to it but I wouldn't describe it has unpalatable. It is what it is a beer for older people or for younger college students who can't afford the higher priced beers.

to view more.