Stroh's - Pabst Brewing Company

Beer added by: Mitchster on 08-24-2001

Ratings: 516 | Reviews: 186
Reviews by Jordan1985rec:
1.1/5  rDev -56.5%

I had this beer during a stag party in DC. This beer was simply gross. It tasted like milk.

It really didn't have any redeeming qualities except for the fact that it was cheap, and since I was on the hook for the groom-to-be's tab, that counted for something.

We switched to National Bohemian as a step up from this - not a great night for good beer.

2.65/5  rDev +4.7%

Used to tend bar 30 yrs ago, and still carries the same taste and characteristics today. Was a very popular pour in the 'rust belt' region, mainly used to chase the after shift 'shot and a beer'. The price is about the same today as it was 30 yrs ago (I bought a 15 pack of cans for $8.49 in October 2014). Given that, it has weathered inflation better than most beers.

True story: In college, I purchased a 12 pack of Stroh's. I could only drink three of them. I gave the next six away to one person at a time (because no one would take a second one). I ended up pouring the last three down the drain after a year in the fridge. Make of that what you will.

2.51/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Okay, Instead of the same old adjectives and rant's against this beer I will let you folks know about Stroh's. I worked there for 22 years. Its a macro-brew. Nuff said? Its like expecting Forest Gump to give a Nobel Prize winning dissertation on the Quark and its relevance to String Theory. Anyway....

As for the flame brewing..... All I can say is Bwahahahaha!! Our brew kettle's, the big beautiful beasts they were, were far from flamed up like our banjo burners at home. No, we had one single, laughable little burner under the kettle. It's flame was the equivalent of 10-15 candles. That was the extent of the fire brewing. 99.999% of the cooking process was steam injection.

On to the claim of ingredients on the can/bottle. Yes it was Traditionally fire brewed with malt, barley, water and hops..... catch that.... Traditionally, meaning past tense. No, it is not still brewed with ONLY Malt, Barley, water and hops, it USED to be. That's called "Market Speak" It is made with Corn Syrup, malt, water and hops. I know, I used to hook up steam hoses to rail cars and pump the sticky mess into storage inside the plant's Brewing Department.

It was good beer for the price. In today's market, the home brew people would love Stroh's, It used Cascade hops and kents Golding. It is hoppy for a macro brew with heavy citrus notes, think grapefruit, in the back end. It is a world better than the watered down water AB puts out as light beer.

I will be letting a few more secrets out about other Stroh's Beers in other reviews. ;)

1.75/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

It's no worse than anything else at the price. Why not drink the Detroit version of Bud?

3.36/5  rDev +32.8%

Left this one in the can because these beers all look more or less the same and I have decided the can is the proper serving vessel for the macro lager. Aroma is faint and barely existant. Woah, taste is not though! This stuffs actually good!

This is a very malty brew for the style and has a slightly buttery wheat bread taste balanced by a zippy bitter that slides in smoothly and leaves a crackery finish. It is mid bodied with a soft carbonation that slowly creeps in intensity, and drinkability is limited only by a full feeling in the gut. This may be the best macro lager I've had.

3.4/5  rDev +34.4%

appearance. Has a yellow pilsner look with a 1 finger white head.

smell.- has a cheaper beer smell but the light wheat smell kind of makes me like it a little bit.

taste.- tastes like a heavier wheatier pilsner beer. is a bit heavier in the wheat taste than PBR.. Kind of tastes like a cheap thirty pack but really isn't that horrible. is a good session beer to get drunk on.

mouth feel- a little bit of carbonation but feels great on the tongue and mouth.

Overall this is a great beer to get drunk on. It is not a horrible thirty pack like a natural light but it is not a fantastic beer either. I do like Milwaukee's best ice better but this is god for the price and I'll buy it again because I definitely like it better than bud light.

3.6/5  rDev +42.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I got this in a trade with a buddy of mine. (Abita Turbodog)

Pours a crystal clear straw yellow with a one finger head of white foam after a strong pour. Looks kind of fizzy. The head eventually drops to islands and a ring with decent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is on the grainy side, with definite DMS right there. In a beer like this, though, that is a common trait and kind of pleasant. Smells crisp and clean, with some light spicy hops way in the back.

Tastes like it smells; crisp, clean, light pilsner malts, and some residual sugar. For the style, this is pretty damn good. There is a light hop bitterness to this to balance the sweetness. Aftertaste is slightly grainy and pleasant.

Mouthfeel is crisp and tingly from carbonation. There is a sweetness here, but the beer is definitely crisp. The finish is crisp and on the dry side.

If you review this beer objectively, according to style, this is pretty damn good. No off flavors whatsoever, and one of the tastiest "macros" I've ever had. Maybe the fact it's an all barley malt beer has something to do with it, but if you're looking for a good macro, this would be the one.

Yikes. The fire-brewed disaster. Nearly clear, with a hint of yellow. Paper, metal, ash, and bum urine in the nose. Bizarre sour/metallic taste throughout (must be the fire-brewing). Just terrible. You are high if you think this beer is anywhere above a "D-"

My first taste of beer was a Stroh's and it has a little more character than many of the other BMC beers and PBR but not a lot more. I use it for boiling brats.

2.69/5  rDev +6.3%

New a guy back in the day that swore by this stuff, all he drank. I have a bar light up in my place of this stuff. Yellow beer, sudsy white head, more than your average adjunct, but it goes the way of the dodo right quick. Lager yeast, corn aroma, smelled worse.

Not much going on here, barely a malt and hop presence, balanced in terms of its sweetness. Maybe a little more bitter than most in its style. Seems like the stuff gets sold over brand loyalty moreso than uniqueness of the product, most comparable to Coors banquet beer I'd say.

A decent mass produced beer, dependable for some mass drinking where you don't want to bother wasting your $ and palate on high end brews after you're already trashed.

I wonder how many people referenced '30 pack of Stroh's, 30 pack of ho's' in their review?

2.42/5  rDev -4.3%

Ah, the "fire brewed" beer of champions...

Light clear gold, slightly darker than straw. Refuge adjunct head of big, thin bubbles and no lace generation. Malty aroma, a little corn husk in character. Flavor profile is based on maltiness, a little Karo syrup non-descript, but fairly smooth and inoffensive. The finish falls down to me, not really hoppy, but a metallic bitterness that might actually indicate that but that's also emphasized by too much CO2 that tends to shove it back up your nasal passages. OK beer, not a favorite. Sorry, proc... ;>)

2.69/5  rDev +6.3%

Stroh's in a can, why not let's do this...appears a golden clear bubbly quote, unquote beer look to it with large heavily carbonated bright white head floating above body dwindling at a moderate pace leaves some nice patches of sporadic lacing around my Duvel chalice...sorry Duvel. Aroma is heavy on the cooked veggie quality often described with these types of brews, mild corn sweetness something gives me the notion that there's just a touch of mild hop herbal quality going on which says alot when compared to most American light lagers. Taste not overly sweet definitely ridden with adjuncts but it's somewhat enjoyable combo of mild sweetness with corn and rice finish and a light herbal undertow of hop flavor not much bitterness of course but balanced and finishes with a touch of offness grainy/metallic combo...while the drinkability of this brew is solid all around "American" or "old timer" beer I'm proud to still be able to drink this over Bud, Miller, Coors just to be different, sometimes you get enjoyment with that as far as the mouthfeel goes it's light bodied heavy with the carbonation prepare to say excuse me honey...and yeah I know this one doesn't smell as good as my usual IPAs but come on our grandfathers drank a version of this beer.

3.25/5  rDev +28.5%

Got this one out of a mystery beer machine at the bowling alley in Evansville, WI.

Took it down straight from the can. Not a ton of flavor, some corn and grain. Nothing overpowering. Light bodied beer with plenty of carbonation. Went down smooth. Could drink a lot of these without a problem.

3.31/5  rDev +30.8%

I still have a few cans leftover from last weekends 3 day beer blowout so I might as well review it. Poured a half shade darker than straw yellow with a medium sized head consisting of large soap like bubbles. But thankfully appearance was by far the worst aspect of this beer. Aroma reminded me a lot of O.K. Beer (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/rate_results/568/1525/) but with a more pronounced sweet character. Taste is initially very clean and crisp before finishing of with a strong dose of sweet malt. A nice cheap substitute for O.K. Stroh's has replaced PBR as my choice for fridge filler for when guests come over. Not to mention I will enjoy one every once in awhile.

*edit: it was a can I reviewed not a bottle!

3.34/5  rDev +32%

Pale, shimmering gold with manic streams of CO2. The white cap shows good rise, solid retention, and some spotting lacing. Pretty good show from a macro.
The nose is formed mostly of a mushy huskiness and corn sweetness, a vague vegetal note, and a dab of grassy hops.
Husky, pale malt provide most of the structure, flavor-wise. Corn pops up, of course, and lingers a bit. The vegetal notes stay a ways off in the background. The uppity CO2 and faint-but-genuine hop flavor (dried grass) keep it dry and slaking.
Very light bodied and airy in feel. Yet there is still a crisp structure here. It's totally and brainlessly poundable, and more or less everything a lower/middle rung macro needs to be. Inoffensive and thirst-busting and inexpensive.

3.44/5  rDev +36%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A - This beer is ridiculously clear and transparent....looks like those Blu-Blocker aviator yellow sunglasses. The head is about one finger and short lived. It drops to nothing but a tiny ring of suds after a minute flat.

S - Husky and grainy just like PBR. I can smell the Heilman's DNA here, and that's not necessarily a bad think since I think they make some of the best cheapo lagers out there...definitely better than BMC water.

T - Wow. This is A LOT more flavorful than I expected! This actually has some decent toffee malt flavors and a nice hop tang. Damn...this is mind boggling. It looks like crap and smells decent, but basically like every other cheap "grandpa" lager but it tastes so much more assertive than any other macro I ever had. I'm impressed.

M - Medium bodied (quite full for the style) and highly carbonated to give a hefty feel on the tongue, while remaining playful and light enough to session like crazy.

D - I'm floored by this one. If I could find this more easily this would be my cheap fall back session lager of choice...I currently drink PBR or Old Milwaukee (strangely, both Heilman brews) when I just want to drink four or five beers with my buddies on the cheap. Good stuff for what it is.

3.2/5  rDev +26.5%

Drank this from the can at a Christmas Eve get together. Usually I wouldn't review under these circumstances, but when else am I going to have a Stroh's handed to me.

The nose was grainy and a bit metallic, but there's a noticeable hop aroma. The taste is mildly grainy with a really nice grassy, earthy, bitter hop characteristic. There are also some fruity notes, but not necessarily off flavors. This is a very crisp, light beer that's a little heavily carbonated.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed this. For the style the hops were impeccable. The grainy qualities were kept to a minimum and it was easy to drink.

2.32/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: Pours from the can a pallid yellow, with an abundance of white foam and an attractive lacing.

Aroma: Simply put, sweet and creamy corn and cereal grains. Very average and unremarkable for the style.

Taste: Mild, watery, thin, and sweet. Not offensive per se, but certainly a completely average American adjunct lager. Perhaps a tad better than the similar Budweiser or MillerCoors junk beer, but not by much. In a word, forgettable.

2.93/5  rDev +15.8%

Served at regular temperature (47F) from a pilsner glass.

Looks: straw yellow, decent head, and a little lacing.

Smells: slightly sulfurous on opening, but not as bad as my last sample of PBR. Maybe the Pabst plant has a little sulfur in the water? A little alcohol and grain in the nose. Maybe a touch of maltiness.

Taste: actually a little bit of hops compared to its competitors. Sort of dry first then sweet. A little bit of an aftertaste of metal, like maybe well water. A little hops taste towards the end. Nothing really offensive or overpowering, yet not like Bud / Miller Lite pool water taste.

I'd really like to compare this side-by-side with PBR since they're both Pabst beers. I like this better than PBR.

Mouthfeel: seems pretty fizzy if from the can, but settles down quite a lot in the pilsner glass.

Drinkability - easy to throw back a few.

3.15/5  rDev +24.5%

Picked up a 30-pack from Shangy's for, well, not much, to share with friends that enjoy cheap beer. I was pleasantly surprised to discover I could actually enjoy a can. Sure, it tastes a little like cooked corn and white bread, but it's smooth enough without any off-flavors (I figure DMS/corn adjunct is acceptable for the style). It's simple, it's kinda tasty. It's not... that.. bad. I said.

3.15/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

As far as American macro-brewed beers are concerned, Stroh's is, in my opinion, among the elite. It pours a pale, straw yellow color with a fluffy white head that disappears way too quickly. Lacing is sparse. The aroma is a mixture of grainy, husky, metallic, and mildly hoppy. There are some hops lingering, to be sure, but a malt character is hard to detect in the nose. The taste is rather mellow and pleasant, with notes of grain, corn, hops, and pale malts. The finish is crisp, fairly clean, and inoffensive. The mouthfeel is fairly prickly and carbonated, but not overly so. This is definitely a drinkable beer, and is a cost-effective lawnmower beer if there was such a thing. It would also work wonderfully for beer-marinated bratwurst on the grill. Give it a try.

1.65/5  rDev -34.8%

My college favorite. Always on sale, in the 16oz. I could drink this all night, and pay all day the next day on the throne. It gives you the worst case of gas/diheara. It tastes cheap, barely any hops or malt. Best served cold.

2.82/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Appears a clear yellow with a fizzy white head that stays around longer than expected.

Smells of corn and wheat and some malts. The taste is similar and has a nice bread flavor and is what I've come to expect from and adjunct lager. There is some sweetness, but not too much, as well as a very slight touch of bitterness from the hops, but that disappears quickly.

Mouthfeel is sticky, with a below average amount of carbonation for an adjunct, and overall nothing special. This is something I could drink a few of on a party night. Something cheap, but still is far above average for the price. Probably won't buy it ever again, just something the roommate grabbed on a whim and thought I'd give it a try.

2.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Stroh’s Fire Brewed Beer: I am more than a little surprised at the low rank this beer has. It is hands down better than the vast run of American macro-lagers, and in fact, is better than most of the skunked out euro-lagers. The beer is slightly darker than most of its ilk, and I think it has a unique taste that certainly plays down whatever adjuncts it may have (I’ve heard it has none, but I find that hard to believe). Cripes, in a thirty pack, this beer is well nigh unbeatable, except for its stable mate PBR.

Stroh's from Pabst Brewing Company