Stroh's - Pabst Brewing Company

Stroh'sStroh's

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 08-24-2001)
4.75/5  rDev +87%

4.5/5  rDev +77.2%

As I drank it, what kept occurring to me was “man, this is good beer”. Stroh’s is now my favorite beer. Is it the best beer there is? Of course not. But, as an American style lager, it’s really, really, really good. Let’s have a look at what makes it so good.

As I’ve noted elsewhere, it’s important to realize that we’re talking about an American style beer. Why? Because Stroh’s isn’t a European brew, nor is it an ale, porter, stout, etc. If you’re approaching it expecting some wet-cement-thick, black-colored, insanely hopped stout, you’re going to be disappointed. A moment’s thought reveals why: because it’s not that. Get it? You either appreciate American style beers for the beers [not ales/porters/stouts/etc.] they are, or you move on to something else.

And, IMO, this is a really outstanding example of American beer [not ale/porter/stout/etc.]. What’s so good about it? Flavor. Flavor. Flavor. Stroh’s is little hoppier than the average macro brew. It’s about average in thickness. But, as in music, it’s the all important midrange that counts – the flavor. And, to me it tastes just as an American beer should taste. If you sample it with an open mind, you’ll find that the flavor is multi-dimensional. It gives you a bouquet of flavors, rather than a one-note, undistinguished quality as does, say, Corona Extra. It’s the rich complexity of flavors that make Stroh’s so special. Rich complexity isn’t something you normally associate with most beers of any provenance. That’s not to say that Stroh’s is at the level of, say, Daisy Cutter or Hopilicious, but it is something special in its class.

All of the goodness I’ve just described depends on several factors. Firstly, as with any beer, you’ve got to get it fresh. 5 weeks out from its expiration date, and its already lost much of its special flavor, and just a hint of skunkiness may even have crept in. If that’s what you’re sampling, then you’re not getting the beer at its best. Ideally, you should be getting it at least two months out from expiration. Secondly, there seems to be some slight variation from batch to batch. The batch which I sampled early in the summer was outstanding. The present batch isn’t quite as stupendously stellar, though still very good.

Thirdly, if you do decide to try it, don’t drink it after drinking some strongly hopped beer. I’ll assume that everyone here is experienced enough to understand that if you sample a milder beer after drinking a more pungent one, the milder beer will seem to have utterly no flavor. So, don’t do that.

I’ve tried many different beers, ales, etc., over the last few years, making an effort to visit breweries to sample their products at their freshest. While there are certainly many wonderful brews available today, Stroh’s is the one to which I continue to return. It’ll always bring a smile to your face, and the certainty that it tastes the way beer should.

4.31/5  rDev +69.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Stroh's is a Fire roasted hops brew. This brew has a nice golden amber Color. Has a rich taste and smooth. A taste you will not find anywhere else. It is your everyday American Larger Beer. This is a good drinking brew. Goes down smooth. Priced right. I will be getting this brew to change up on other main stream brews out on the market.

4.08/5  rDev +60.6%

Yes, yes I'm definitely not a beer connoisseur as of yet. I'm a bloody 19 year old kid, so at least I'm somewhat prone to drinking this, right? Pabst this, Pabst that. I like PBR too, but for the price and taste, this really is the best American Macro lager out there. No questions asked. I too think most products from Pabst (well Miller) taste similar, but Stroh's really is in a league of its own, even though I acknowlege this isn't the premier league when it comes to beer. Actually this tastes similar to Pabst, except that this seems to have a little more taste going down, and it has a more bitter, but cleaner aftertaste when compared to PBR. Really, be grateful that this is still being sold in some parts of the country. If you're gonna get a macro American lager, check out Stroh's. It really is the most earnest in price and taste. Keep it alive!!

picked up a six pack of this beer on a whim.
poured from the can into a pint glass
appearance pale yellow with a wispy head that goes away
smell is a bit grainy
taste wonderful not off putting .
for me this is another beer i can add to list of fridge beer for my none craft friends.

3.95/5  rDev +55.5%

This beer poured a nice golden yellow, kind of similar to honey, with a small and short-lived white head. It smells nice and malty, much better smelling than say, a Budweiser. The taste is good and malty, much like the smell, with a bit of hops to balance it. Very, very good tasting for this style. The mouthfeel is nice and crisp, not too carbonated. This is a very drinkable beer, and at $7 for a 15-can suitcase, it's just about unbeatable in terms of value, especially considering how good it tastes.

3.9/5  rDev +53.5%

I have two different standards for evaluating beer. The first involves new or interesting brews and is not applicable to Strohs.The second applies to older brands and American mass brews, and it is to ask whether the beer in question tastes and feels like the first beer I sipped from a crockery mug while sitting on my mother's knee many, many years ago. Does it have"beer flavor" More tha any American beer I know Strohs gets high marks for"beer flavor" and I rate it highly.

3.88/5  rDev +52.8%

Me and my friends used to drink this during our college days in Pittsburgh (the fine years of '88 to '90 - I think Stroh's was the first to do the 30-pack, please correct me if I'm wrong). What brought me back was a few years ago Consumer Reports rated all of the domestic beers and Stroh's won. I was like WTF??? Really? So I bought a 30-pack of cans, and wow, was I surprised. Not the crap beer that I remembered, but a decent, smooth, American lager. My friends laughed in my face when I told them I was drinking it again - ah well. Pours a nice, deep golden color, good foam and lacing. Taste is above average for a macro. A great session beer. And the price? $15 for a 30 pack? Tough to beat. This is a great one to just have on hand for whenever you need a good, after a long workday beer.

3.88/5  rDev +52.8%

A good beer. Excellent for mowing, yard work, and hanging around. Certainly not like Bigfoot. Decent head, minimal lacing, crisp smell with just a hint of hops. The hops are more noticeable in the taste. Really nice American Lager. Makes Bud look like the crap it is. A bargain wherever you buy it. My only macro beer(maybe amber bock, too)

3.85/5  rDev +51.6%

12oz. can purchased at local VFW for 75 cents poured into standard beer mug.

Golden straw color with supreme clarity.

Smells like beer of this kind.

Light and beery, with a faint hint of hops in the finish.

Very smooth. More still than carbonation sting.

Not filling at all. Good for when you want to get drunk for little money or play flip cup or whatever.

Never had this beer before actually. Tried it because it was extremely cheap, but mostly because at the end of the Stooges live album "Metallic KO", Iggy says "Hey man, somebody threw a Stroh's!". I had to try it and glad that I did.

Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. It's cheap beer after all.

3.85/5  rDev +51.6%

From a can to a pint glass. Decent head that disappears. No lacing to speak of. Dark-gold yellow coloration.

Smells like American Macro Lager, but without the obvious corn scent.

Taste is well above average for its style. Minimal hop presence but the malt is pretty good. Not sweet, not bitter. It tastes "heavier" than BMC and has a pleasant finish.

Mouthfeel is good for the style. It has a "roundness" to it that makes it a very drinkable beer.

There was a recent discussion thread on "best bad beers," or something like that. I voted for Stroh's based upon years of service. This makes a good picnic beer. It goes well with hot dogs and hamburgers and is a solid choice for those places you can't take bottles, like pools and state parks. I picked up a 15 pack to keep around for when I don't feel like cracking open one of my Stone bombers or the like. And as a bonus, it's cheap.

Bottom line: beats the hell out of BMC.

3.84/5  rDev +51.2%

3.8/5  rDev +49.6%

Stroh's has a medium, white head and a very clear golden appearance. Carbonation is medium to high. The aroma is typical for an American-style lager (subdued to nonexistent). The taste is more delicious, fuller, and balanced that others in its style class. A relatively higher hop bitterness is noted. Mouth-feel is light and watery. Stroh's finishes crisp and refreshing, with a nice bite to it. Overall, I'd say this is a well-made ASL lager, and I'd recommend giving it a try. Stroh's is NOT sold in Louisiana. I bought this six-pack on a road trip in Maryland in June, 2010.

RJT

3.8/5  rDev +49.6%

Ah Stroh's. My first beer back in 1979.

Well It pours a pale gold with plenty of carbonation resulting in a modest one finger head which doesn't stick around for a minute.

It smells slightly sweet along with a typical macro lager smell.

Taste is quite pleasing. A delicate lager with slight malt taste and sweetness. I could see drinking this with sushi, a burger maybe pizza.

Mouthfeel. Decent for a macro. The carbonation is a little course for my liking but it's not atypical for an American Macro.

Overall, I feel that this beer is underrated amongst it's American macro lager peers. A nice addition to any cook out or to quench your thirst after chasing your dog around the neighborhood.

3.75/5  rDev +47.6%

This is good old, classic, Michigan beer. Brewed in Detroit until 2000, after the Stroh Brewing Company was bought out by Pabst.

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

It looks like your typical American Adjunct Lager. Very pale, white head that recedes within the first minute and a half to two minutes.

Smells of pale malt, lager yeast and some corn adjunct.

Tastes fairly crisp. Almost a clean lager flavor, with little adjunct detected, but there was some there. Very refeshing, with very faint, almost undetectable hop presence.

The mouthfeel was very light and watery, but still a very crisp, clean taste.

3.7/5  rDev +45.7%

If what you're looking for is a cheap beer to keep your fridge full, this is my first suggestion. It's not much different from others in this category, ie. macro brew adjunct lager, yet the one thing that sets it apart is hops. Granted it's no IPA (I'm no noob, I'm a certified hop head) but I swear to you, there is an essence of hop oil in this beer; certainly more than can be found in High Life. Oddly enough, I find it to be most present when imbibed directly from the can and not so much from the bottle or glass. Put it in a keeper-cooler on a hot day and get it before those annoying hipsters do (this'll be the next PBR on campus).

3.68/5  rDev +44.9%

On the box this beer is a deep orange gold. In reality it pours out light yellow with almost no head. Unimpressive.

Smells of nice malt and grain. A bit of corn, a bit of spiced hops. Not very complex, but nice.

What a nice and spicy malt flavor! It's kind of a burst with no distinct stages but for a macro this is wonderful.

The body is crisp and smooth, quite refreshing, and it goes down easy.

Stroh's from Pabst Brewing Company