Stroh's - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 08-24-2001

True story: In college, I purchased a 12 pack of Stroh's. I could only drink three of them. I gave the next six away to one person at a time (because no one would take a second one). I ended up pouring the last three down the drain after a year in the fridge. Make of that what you will.

1.1/5  rDev -60.6%

I had this beer during a stag party in DC. This beer was simply gross. It tasted like milk.

It really didn't have any redeeming qualities except for the fact that it was cheap, and since I was on the hook for the groom-to-be's tab, that counted for something.

We switched to National Bohemian as a step up from this - not a great night for good beer.

1.23/5  rDev -55.9%

This is in my opinion one of the worst beers ever. It pours a poor yellow and some froth. The smell is crappy. Bland with a hint of sweetness. The taste is the worst, it is so bad it sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it. It starts lame and uninspiring with the taste of the all to familiar cereal malts. Then comes the hops and that adjunct sweet taste. Oh sweet Jesus it is Camo all over again! Luckily it is a very watery beer so it is just drinkable enough to chug and get over with.

1.35/5  rDev -51.6%

Damn, this might be the most watery, thin-ass beer Ive ever had, except for Strohs Light. Of course it has the pale yellow color with no head, but its difficult to even find carbonation in this one. They could of atleast gave us something in this beer to enjoy. Your better off tossing the last 1/4 of the beer and grabbing a new one as is just gets worse and worse the further into the can you go. My cuttoff limit is usually the whole damn thing, but for this beer, I cant even finish the whole can without being damn well sick and tired of it.

1.37/5  rDev -50.9%

An american lager made by pabst breweries of San Antonio Texas, in general is like a few of mexican beers worst to drink, appearance, taste, and drinkability are not for me its adjoincts of rice and grains, give an awful flavor, mouthfeel is low in the average, good for the mexican food; 25% recommended.

1.45/5  rDev -48%

A - Pours the brighest transparent yellow I have ever seen from a beer with a two finger bubbly white head. The head disappears within 2 seconds, and the beer has no lacing.

S - Smells of extremely light corn adjunct and some kind of funky sour mash? Smells kind of like a Foster's.

T - For the first time ever, I can honestly say that I have had a beer with absolutely no taste. This beer literally has nothing in the taste department other than extremely slight seltzer water far off into the background.

M - The mouthfeel brings virtually nothing new to the table other than a faint amount of rice adjunct. But overall it remains very flavorless.

O - Overall, this beer wins an award in my opinion. The award for blandest beer I have ever had. They shouldn't even brew this stuff, it actually has less flavor than Bud Light. Luckily, I didn't pay for it, as I had it at a party. The party was definitely some fun after knocking back 10 of these though!

1.53/5  rDev -45.2%

Ah, Stroh's..the stuff legends are made of, hehe. Before you go out and try this "beer", answer 4 questions: 1) Do you have a moustache?, 2) Do you have an old Camaro Iroc-Z up on blocks?, 3) Do you roll your cigarettes up in your shirt sleeve, 4) Do you sell methamphetamines to high-school kids?

If you answer yes to any question, then you may proceed to drink.
This beer is actually not too shabby, when compared to most domestic macro-swill. It is brilliantly clear, beautifully golden with peach accents, forming a large sea-foam white head atop medium-sized bubbles. Carbonation is moderate, and retention and lacing are actually pretty good. Ah, the delectable aroma...corn, fertilizer (I'm not kidding!), rubbery dirty hops, alcohol, and memories of throwing up on the beach. The mouthfeel is pretty smooth with a thin body. Taste...begins with fermentation by products, middle is mostly harsh alcohols with lots of sugary sweet corn, and the finish is rubbery hop extract...Licking the lips, one tastes chemical bitterness and feels head retention agents. Delicious!

1.54/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

When I was a youngster, this is the beer my dad kept in the fridge. It was a good beer in the 80's. Fire-brewed. Served at Comiskey. It may have been the first 30-pack beer I ever saw. We drunked a ton of it. My dad shook his head when the stock disappeared, but he still bought more.
Picked some up recently to be nostalgic. Awful nasty crap. I'm pretty sure this beer has gone through some new ownerships along the way. It ain't the same.
You can't go back...

1.61/5  rDev -42.3%

Why, oh why am I drinking this dreck? Some questions are better left unanswered I guess. Maybe I'm drinking it to prove I'm not a beer snob and I can still stomach what the great unwashed masses are drinking. Evidently, I'm wrong, because I just can't finish this glass.

Beer pour clear light yellow, typical of mass produced american lagers. 1 inch head that suck around for about 3 or 4 minutes.

Smell was nothing special. Faintly unpleasant, but not very strong. Had to struggle to smell anything.

Taste was pretty bad. no hops detectable, just harsh acidity.

Mouthfeel was weak, thin and watery. After taste was almost enough to make me want to never drink beer again (almost, but not quite).

Nothing to see here folks, just move along quitely to pleasanter things.

1.65/5  rDev -40.9%

My college favorite. Always on sale, in the 16oz. I could drink this all night, and pay all day the next day on the throne. It gives you the worst case of gas/diheara. It tastes cheap, barely any hops or malt. Best served cold.

1.79/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured into pint glass. Foamed and quickly went to thin layer. Slight stickness to glass. High carbonation. Very light, watered down flavor,pale yellow. Better then bud or coors for a cheap beer. Not bad for just a plain basic no frills beer. I will buy a case again for river float trips. A good river,fishing kinda of beer.

1.82/5  rDev -34.8%

Legend has it one of my uncles used to kick back a 30-pack of this every night...one of the freshest and most flavorfull beers I ever had was one in the brewery bar in St. Paul in the mid-to-late 80's...picked up a 15-pack for kicks the other day and thought I'd drop in a review..This has a bit more taste than most macro's but it has a bite to it as well that most macro beer drinkers don't care for...If you try real hard you can get a tich of a caramel flavor....not sure what the fire-brewing does or even if they do it anymore now that Pabst brews it..Overall, its a nice changeup for the every day American lagers available but not one of my favorites.

1.96/5  rDev -29.7%

Stroh's before hoes...

Yep, that pretty much sums it all up. If you're going macro-lager, and want to get a good laugh from your buddies, this is a must-buy. Often overlooked in college towns alike, Strohs is the redheaded stepchild of yellow fizzy beers. And for good reason. At least the others go down smooth or taste enough like water to get you by. But no, Stroh's affirms its place as party pooper (emphasis on the poop) right in your mouth. Get it for a good laugh, but you'll soon reconsider your "drink to get drunk" binge drinking ways.

1.96/5  rDev -29.7%

The 30 pack for 12.99 inticed me. It had the look of a typical American lager, but OH MY GOD it was like drinking Ohio river water with a hint of dead Carp. I could tell that there was a hint of hops, but it was over powered by the unfavorable hint of mint. Where the Hell did that come from? Never again will I consume a beer that had absolutely no hint of flavor, except the morning after need to brush my tongue and apologize to my wife for drinking it.

Yikes. The fire-brewed disaster. Nearly clear, with a hint of yellow. Paper, metal, ash, and bum urine in the nose. Bizarre sour/metallic taste throughout (must be the fire-brewing). Just terrible. You are high if you think this beer is anywhere above a "D-"

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

2.06/5  rDev -26.2%

Somehow this stuff showed up at the hotel bar of the Hyatt in New Delhi of all places while I was there awhile back. I thought, wow, I can't really think of many beers which would've been a poorer representation of American beer. I chose the Indian beer. This stuff is a quarter notch above the typical mass produced swill.

2.07/5  rDev -25.8%

Another can given by dkachur. What a guy!

A: It's strange how this style looks so identical in almost every way. I suppose that the same could be said for most any style, though. Honestly, though, this one almost looks a little brighter than some others... in some ways, it is kinda true to urine. Quick forming head, just as quick to disappear.

S: There seems to be a rich scent of corn coming from this one, along with a soft grain. It's not a horrible scent, but certainly not great, either.

T: Grains,corn, and a slightly sour flavour, As it warms just the slightest, it becomes rather unpleasant... it was poured just minutes ago and is already showing negative qualities.

M + D: A sharp carbonation, with a bit of foaminess on the way down. Body has a little bit to it, at least for the style. It's unfortunate that the flavour seems to go downhill so quickly. It could have potential as a lawnmower beer, but this is more a choice to simply get drunk and guzzle.

2.1/5  rDev -24.7%

Based on some good feedback about Stroh's from fellow BA's, I went out and got some.

Poured basically yellow with some gold in the core of the glass, white head, fizzy, pops itself away in seconds. Aroma was, believe it or not, just a little bit hoppy in an herbal kinda way.

Taste was light, slightly bitter at first, followed by a touch of sweet grain. Adjunct taste was not really evident in this beer. Super fizzy mouthfeel which I really did not care for bulldozed itself into the mix. Overall impression of this beer compared to its other macro buddies - A little more hoppier then average, a bit more bitter then most, more carbonation then some, very light in body. Hop heads could dig this beer I suppose, definitely leans more towards bitter then sweet. However, for me, I think I will pass on this in the future.

2.12/5  rDev -24%

CAN I do it? Yes, I CAN!

Wow, does this ever transport me to my misspent youth. Cans of Stroh's, purchased on the sly out front of the R&R Tavern or the Little Dutch Cafe, and surreptitiously consumed in various places around the city. Those were the days ...

Today, I got a rocky, bone-white head from the pour with good retention throughout. The color was a light yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. The nose was somewhat sweet, nowhere near as bitter as I remember it as being. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. There was very little flavor associated with this beer. It was very bland, even more than the Corona that I had consumed a little while previously. To think that this was what used to routinely kick my sixteen year-old ass ... No wonder my Pops used to laugh at all of us Bill Badass wannabes. The finish had a slight metallic aspect. I'm done with Stroh's after this. Short's on the other hand, now there's some good beer.

2.13/5  rDev -23.7%

This is a below average beer but at way below average prices. This beer goes along with the law 'you get what you pay for' and in the case of stroh's you're not paying much so one shouldn't expect much either. In the cheap beer category its my third or fourth choice (PBR is MUCH better). Has a slight hoppiness to it but much stronger in the malt department. I can see how someone might like this beer but not how they could enjoy it. It has no appeal other than a cheap way of getting loaded.

2.2/5  rDev -21.1%

this beer is good for when you want to still drink abunch of beer then be completely fine to drive. Ive drank this all day and had buddies call me at night to go get a bite to eat and do some real partying afterwards so if anything its a good warm up beer i suppose.

2.25/5  rDev -19.4%

Light corn grist, faint hops, near toffee like malt. Light bitterness, coupled with corn cob. Ever so faint diactel but not too bad, I've had dirtier lagers but can't call it clean. Light bodied watery brew. Overall, this is an ok adjunct lager.

2.28/5  rDev -18.3%

This is my "Lawn Mowing" beer. Pours very light gold, heads quickly and fades. Slight hops smell and clean taste. After an hour pushing the lawn mower on a hot Summer afternoon two or three of this is a good thirst quencher. Costs only a little more than bottled water.

2.29/5  rDev -17.9%

It's probably been a few decades since I last had Stroh's, sneaking sips off of adult's beers at some backyard bbq function in the early 80's. There are still a couple old Stroh's signs around town, a relic of the past at neighborhood corner taverns like Mickeys.

Pale anemic gold, racing carb trails, feeble head that fades after the first sip to a broken patchy skim on the surface.

It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't smell good either. Swilly wet grains, manila folders.

Taste is astringent and watery, slightly harsh. Papery grainy "flavor" that's extremely hard to pick up. Bland and only slightly offensive. Has little redeeming value, it's not one of the better nostalgia macros out there, PBR is far better for a generic macro.

Stroh's from Pabst Brewing Company