Join our email list →

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company
California, United States | website

American Adjunct Lager | 4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,638 | Hads: 5,205

Negative score if possible. The FOAM is overwhelming on the mouthfeel. Taste is weak stale grain and metal. Gag reflex was triggered. Drain pour that can only be rivaled by the Natural Light beers of the world.

3.89/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Fairly aggressive pour from a 12 oz. can resulted in a very thin, maybe half a finger of rocky white head. Clear and golden with streaming bubbles.

Sweet corn with a lightly toasted white bread smell.

The taste is a nice combo of some sweet with a nice balance of barley, malts and a light hop feel at the back.

The feel is oh so refreshing! Playful bubbles from the carbonation dance across your tongue while the finish is so nice, clean and crisp.

When you combine this very pleasant beer with the price of a case of 24 at $15 you really come out a winner. Sure the beer is not going to blow you out with hops or have a lot of hidden fruit or spice flavors. This is just a great beer to pull out of the fridge, crack it while it is cold and enjoy.

2.4/5  rDev -20.3%

I only gave this beer a two for the mouth-feel and the fact that I used to love this garbage. This is one of the smoothest beers in the world. (Or at least America) I loved this beer so much, I drank it all the time in college. I even had friends laugh at me for enjoying this while they were drinking Craft Beers and stuff. I loved the stuff. However, I noticed that the company must have done something to the recipe because over time it tasted awful. There was a skunky, garbage, and despicable feeling to the entire beer. It tasted like a bear pissed in my mouth. I don't drink it no more. It sucks.

2.92/5  rDev -3%

Pleasantly surprised, lightweight, but very smooth, crisp and clean. Nice fluffy head on pale golden body. Not overly sweet, although adjunct rains are present in aroma and taste. Lager yes, but a head above the rest of the US macro brews.

3.57/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I drink this beer to cleanse my pallet. It's neutral taste will clean my taste buds so I can resume drinking more flavorful beers. Not a bad beer for a frat party or your "white trash trailer bash".

2.64/5  rDev -12.3%

Expected it to be worse according to the price. Not so bad, it's not a beer that's meant to be enjoyed, more of a beer to refresh yourself, sort of like a soda. If enjoyed cold and fast, it's nice. But if expecting to enjoy it for it's taste gradually, it's not that great. So I think 2.5 is a perfect rating so say that here's a slightly below average beer

3.48/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type: 355 mL Can

A- Pours clear golden with a sudsy 1/2 finger head that dissipates quickly. Lots of visible carbonation (think of a freshly poured Soft Drink). No lacing.

S- Lager Yeast, Corn, and bready malt.

T- Watery Barley/Corn mixture with a light hop flavour on the finish to give the brew a slight bitterness

M- Light Body with Low-Moderate Carbonation. A little too relaxed on the carbonation but not bad. The lack of carbonation makes it extremely 'poundable'

O- One of the better AAL's I've had thanks to it's nearly non-existent flavour (no astringent corn flavours here) and easy drinking body. No, it's not that great, but it sure beats a Bud Light.

3.45/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - This beer pours an extremely clear straw yellow with 3 fingers of foamy head that die down quick. Carbonation is fairly inactive.

Aroma - lager yeast ( spring water) smell, barley, corn.

Taste - Spring water flavor, barley, corn, and some extremely light floral hops give a very light bitterness on the back of the tongue

Feel - light body not much carbonation almost like drinking water.

Overall - This is one of the better AAJ's I have tried. The flavor and aroma dont stand out and the body is the weakest point because of lack of carbonation. With that said the flavor is fine look and aroma follow the style too. Would I drink this a lot? No, but thats personal preference and if you are a lawnmower beer drinker than try this.

2.8/5  rDev -7%

Halfway through a 30 pack on PBR... as far as cheap light beers go, this one's better than most. Obviously nothing special, though. I will drink again, but only when my goal is getting shitfaced.

1.96/5  rDev -34.9%

I am not a hipster, you are not my beer, and you no you will not enjoy this review. This beer has made a resurgence among people that like to drink it ironically, but my apprecation for satire does not go as deep. This is a bush league beer.

3.48/5  rDev +15.6%

I been drinking "P-Berrs" for 15 off and on years. I drank Long Trail religiously for a while and tasted as many different imports as I could. Love OtterCreek Copper. I'm a Vermonter lol. I always come crawling back to PBR though. Its light and I love that, it does get bland after a while so I mix it up but its always available which rocks. It doesn't matter what time it is, great breakfast beer, lunch dinner middle of the night haha!

Its nostalgic, American and hands down better than BUD, I bought a 12ver of bud cause it was on sale yesterday and puked my way through it, Pberrs is so smooth and easy on the guts!

Cheers hipsters, grandpa's, blue collars, and budget boozers!

3.79/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

If you try this beer in a side by side comparison with any other adjunct lager, you will definitely taste the superiority. Most adjunct lagers taste relatively the same but there is much more going on in a can of Pabst than just cheap beer. I honestly think this beer gets more snobbery from bud light "top shelf" buyers than it does from craft buyers, which says something. It shows that the cheap price is deceiving to price snobs who would be embarrassed to be seen consuming anything considered "cheap," regardless of taste and quality.

2.53/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

DATE TASTED: December 23, 2015... GLASSWARE: 22 oz. pilsener...OCCASION: toasting another Cavs win... APPEARANCE: ultra clear, light golden body with visible swirls of effervescence; the head is spongy, thick and bursting with bubbles of white; hedgerows of lacing is left behind; ... AROMA:immediate apple/pear hit the nostril, along with the awkwardness of oats, hay and beefy biscuit...PALATE: soft, thin, and absolutely evasive in its presence--swift to its end, and the end is bitter; oily with flat carbonation...TASTE: oats and soft malts create a woody, slightly metallic water-heavy profile; otherwise, as soft and nondescript as 24 ounces of beverage can get...a salty cracker sifts its way in as the can drains...OVERALL: as far as blue-color working cans go, one could do much worse than Pabst...I know my father's generation laments the loss of the "old" recipe, but this offering does its job by refreshing without restraint...easy-drinking to the point of slamming....a good-looking can, worth mentioning

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

I always have PBR in my fridge...always. Its a solid palate cleanser, Monday slammer, and Sunday closer.

But don't get me wrong i love the tastiest... i also have some heady, swish, stone unfiltered, flower power, flower child, fishermans, lights on, and of course...the home brewed galaxy ipa

cheers!!

3.48/5  rDev +15.6%

This is my favorite cheap beer. It comes in a classic and patriotic look that I love. It is very refreshing and is best consumed when ice cold, usually accompanied by some American food like burgers or hot dogs. It is very watery and smooth, but crisp.

2.95/5  rDev -2%

It's Pabst. You can't expect much and you can't complain about the value. I'm younger but when I drink it I get an old school feeling. I can have a few but after a bit the taste gets a little skunky and tough to stick with. I'd rate it higher if I could consistently drink it but it is pretty sweet and the carbonation goes away fast. But for the price, I won't complain.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Classic. By far my choice among cheap, light lagers. Drink it cold, it is crisp with nice, slightly bitter flavor. It's great to drink a PBR every now and then when you just want something simple. Can't beat the price, less than a dollar a beer in Texas, and one of my spots has tall drafts for less than 2 bucks! Simply put, if you don't like PBR, I don't like you!

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

OK I spent 2.5 years in Germany. During that time, as now, I was an avid beer drinker. Now I'm old enough to remember when I got back from Germany, American beer was cow piss.

Years have passed and I am on the verge of brewing something myself. Probably a Pilsner.

But, we are talking about a beer that costs less per 12 pack than one bottle of a hell-o-beer assortment.

Yes, it is watery, Yes it hasn't much flavor or to put it frankly nothing to offend. It is 5% alcohol. Cheap and available anywhere. American cow piss? I think not.

The Snobbish assholes talking crap about a $7 per 12 pack beer need to get a grip.

It is cheap tastes OK for what it is which is a Miracle in itself. This beer could easily be like Milwaukee's Best. But it's not. This should be obvious to anyone.

BTW it smells, tastes and feels like beer. Especially after about 6 of them.

3.21/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

To those whose taste buds have been jaded by a surfeit of hops, this may well taste like lightly carbonated water. But this is hands down the best American adjunct lager you can buy today. The King of Lawnmower Beers. The beer you buy for a party where people who know little about beer will be drinking beer. The beer you remember from high school and college. I wouldn't buy it or drink it on a regular basis. But when I need an American adjunct lager, this has go-to written all over it.

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a yellow body with little head. This is followed by a fresh corn aroma, something that I found to be rather startling in an adjunct lager. The taste, again, has that fresh corn taste, with a little bit of malt leading into a nice, smooth finish. All in all not bad, though I'm more of a pilsner person myself in terms of lager.

2.1/5  rDev -30.2%

how this beer has a better rating than budweiser i'll never understand. this is like budweisers ugly cousin. it's cheap and that's the only good thing about it. i remember a bar/concert venue selling pbr's in a can for 50 cents each back around 2007, so that tells you how cheap it really is.

4.27/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Another good, honest American Lager. The reputation it has as a "cheap beer" is really a shame. In my opinion there's a big difference between cheap and inexpensive.

Either way, I'm glad it's getting a big revival.

3.99/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 4.5

appearance-clear, carbonated, golden

smell-smells alot different than the budweisers or coors banquets and i really like it. doesnt smell hoppy at all but smells pretty good

taste-best tasting beer ive ever had. even when warm this beer tastes good. no noticable hops or anything like that but i think the corn gives it a good taste as well.

feel- feels like any other big corporate beer.

overall-best tasting beer ive had. definatly recomend anyone to try it.

2.24/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Never understood the fascination. This beer is not good. Better served ice cold. It is fairly crisp with little aftertaste. It's not the worst, but that doesn't make it good.

3.44/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is one of the few light beers that I enjoy. If I feel like getting something much lighter than normal, I go for this. It's very flavorful despite not having much color or fullness.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company