Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

Ratings: 4,886 | Reviews: 1,639
Reviews by jazzyjeff13:
2.82/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A 473ml can with a BB of March 2014. ABV is stated as 4.6%. Picked up a little while back as a 6-pack from a B&M store. 'Nature's choicest products provide its prized flavour' - oh yes.

Poured into a tulip pint glass. A clear golden colour with faint floating sediment and medium carbonation. Forms a large head of creamy white foam that lasts for a while before subsiding to a patchy surface layer. Aroma of faint malt with hints of sweet grain, stewed leaves and a whiff of overdone veg. Bland.

Tastes of ultra-light malt with a mild, dry finish. Notes of weak grain, faint stewed leaves and a twinge of overcooked veggies. Highly attenuated with little bitterness to speak of - a crisp dryness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth, dry and tingly, with effervescent carbonation and a thin, watery body that is about par for the style. Slightly astringent, followed by an aftertaste of faint stewed leaves and a whisper of malt.

Meh - characterless and watery. Looks about right, while the aroma and flavour are virtually absent. Average body for a macro. I'll damn it with faint praise and state that there weren't any obvious off-notes or flaws; it's just weak as hell. Thirst-quenching but no need to hunt it down.

3.65/5  rDev +24.6%

Presentation: 16 oz can with a white back ground, red and blue label colour. Hey red white and blue, how American. “Established in Milwaukee 1844” stated on the front, no freshness date.

Appearance: Head foams up quite big then quickly dissipates into a wispy white lace, brilliantly clear pale golden yellow hue seems a bit inviting.

Smell: Thin sweet malt and grain, touch of strained hops in the nose. Clean aroma slight grassiness from the grain also.

Taste: Light to moderate body, nice even crispness with a somewhat effervescent carbonation. The smooth mouth feel rides on the tail of the carbonation, thin malt palate. Kiss of hops, bitterness peaks after the crispness subsides and the dryness kicks in. Trace of alcohol hit the tongue and warms the mouth and throat. Hops stick to bitterness and provide no flavour other than a faint grassiness. Some corn grit flavour in the middle, not cooked grits but rather fresh milled grits. Clean palate throughout with a great wrap-up of dryness in the finish.

Notes: This is a great premium American lager, hands down beats the big three. About the same in the bottle but obviously better on tap. A perfect change up when things get a bit tedious and want to drink a simple beer.

2.95/5  rDev +0.7%

This is the best cheap beer for the money.

With its recent surge in popularity, it seems they've started selling PBR in big ol' 30 racks, instead of the standard case. Maybe this is old news, but today was the first time I saw a 30 pack... and for $12!

Poured into a glass, this beer isn't exactly easy on the eyes. It really doesn't even smell that much better than your average crap beer (if anything, it smells more like BEER than most macro crap, which usually tends to smell like water). It's the taste that is so surprising... a macro brew with HOPS in it! What a concept! Very crisp and refreshing. The corn flavor isn't exactly my thing, but it's not overwhelming. This is a very smooth drinkable beer.

As a college student, I'll admit that I've done my fair share of heavy boozin / session drinking. But I'm proud to say that when the wallet's feeling light, I make mine a Pabst.

I'll say it again: Pabst is the best cheap beer money can buy.

NOTE: PBR is the official beer of geologists.

3.89/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Ok. This is not a top shelf beer. This stuff is cheap, corn-heavy adjunct lager. That being said, it's dang tasty when it's hot out, has a little more ABV than your run of the mill 3.2, and I love that when I bust one out, very few people swarm around to get their hands on one, making it an even better value! Pale yellow in color, It's got enough malty body to separate it from the miller/coors/bud barley pop, while still being easy to drink in quantity. No real discernible hoppiness, especially compared to my standard IPA/DIPA fare. Refreshing, but not a light beer. Taken for what it is, I believe it to be a great beer, when limited to class-comparison. I'm drinking one right now, as it's 85, sunny, and I'm grilling. Boom.

1.12/5  rDev -61.8%

Light yellow color. The head is very large initially and retains fairly well considering it’s a macro. Unbelievably disgusting oceanic aroma (sea water, salt, seaweed) along with light grains and corn. Watery, corny flavor with hints of light grains and sauvignon blanc. Terrifying.

I'm white trash and I'm in trouble

3.15/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

16 oz. pint - $2.00 at Highlands Grill in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Clear, yellowish body with a thin, very short-lived, white head.

Smell: Very faint nose -- just a few hints of sweetish grain.

Taste: Sweet light pale malts with some creamy corn hints. Slight, slight graininess. A tad watery, as expected. Faint floral hops and bitterness. Finishes dry, clean, and crisp.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Acceptable! A counter-culture classic that's super cheap and provides just a bit of flavor (without hittin' you up with foul flavors).

3.33/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Don't be a pretentious beer snob, guys. PBR is actually decent for a mainstream adjunct lager. It's very refreshing and smooth. Granted, PBR is thin, light-bodied, lacks flavor and aroma, but it's not as watered down or horrible as the other macro lagers (i.e. budlight -sorry).
It has a slightly funny scent of metal, faint hop profile, and grainy (corn-like) note to it.
I still give this more points for being cheap and largely available. Also, the taste is clean and crisp. I don't mind drinking this.

Why don't people understand that just because your dad and your dad's dad drank it doesn't mean its good. This beer shouldn't be shouldn't served, sold, or given away for free. This is pure butt pee in a can. Some one should petition congress and have there brewery shut down and burned. This a black eye on America's beer portfolio. I hate this beer.

2.03/5  rDev -30.7%

Pretty much the only time you're going to "enjoy" one of these is at the end of the night when you've already had too much to drink. I read somewhere that every time a PBR is drank, a hipster gets his vintage bicycle.

3.4/5  rDev +16%

Pours a crystal clear light yellow color with a 1 inch white head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Small random spots of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smells of corn flakes, sugar, and slight cooked veggies. Taste is of sweetened corn flakes and other grains. This beer has a high level of carbonation and is very crisp and clean in the mouth. Overall, this is a pretty good beer and my favorite macro beer I have tried thus far in my life. A nice go to beer when you are looking for something cheap.

2.3/5  rDev -21.5%

Just a run-of-the-mill lager brew that is a good filler/cleanser between craft brews. Give it a 4 on feel... purely because of the cost/quality affect of having fun with beer. Nothing overpowering in this beer... but clean. Love that it comes in pint cans to wet the whistle after a long day in the yard, at the lake, or coming off the slopes.

4.4/5  rDev +50.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Good ole PBR! If you want a cheap beer that's better than bud, coors or miller then it's PBR. Golden Yellow with a nice foam head. Tastes like high school prom and finger banging Mary Jane rottencrotch in the back of my Trans Am on a backroad in Oklahoma. I'd recommend this beer to anyone. $9 for a 12 pack and surpasses every beer in it's class.

1.5/5  rDev -48.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I see that the reviewers gave PBR a 72 rating & the Bros an 80 rating. And the reviewers gave Beck's a 67 rating & the Bros a 62 rating. Are you all nuts?!! Beck's now may be owned by InBev & brewed in St. Louis, MO. But I recently called Beck's brewmaster & he assured me that they were still brewing to the German Purity Law, which means they're only using water, barley malt, hops & yeast. I'm sure Pabst isn't doing the same. I know why all of you are rating Pabst higher than Beck's. It has nothing to do with PBR's quality. Rather, it's the "pseudo-hipster's" rating, i.e. "PBR is 'cooler' than Beck's because it doesn't advertise & has the patriotic U.S. colors of red, white & blue." C'mon everyone - get real. No way is PBR better tasting than Beck's. And no, I don't work for Beck's & I'm not German. However, I've brewed my own beers & know a bit of what I'm talking about.

Pabst Blue Ribbon is the perfect beer for stumbling down the street while discreetly sipping from within a brown paper bag. PBR is the drink of choice for NYC hipsters and classy hobos alike.
I usually grab PBR when I only have a few dollars left to my name and I desperately need to forget my problems with a drunken stupor and horrific hangover.
It has a very mild taste with no distinguishable hops, and it goes down smoothly. It is best to drink PBR while laying in the darkest corner of a subway stop.

3.84/5  rDev +31.1%

Overall I thought Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) was an OK beer. The taste wasn't as good as I expected, but it was still not a terrible beer. The appearance of the beer was nice, but the smell was not that good. If I was offered this beer sometime in the future again I would have one, but I would not buy it.

2.88/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance – Not bad. The yellow body is a tad on the cloudy side. The head came up big and fell down with that volcanic style that looks so cool.

Smell – The grain aroma isn’t bad either. There’s nothing nasty in there, that’s for sure.

Taste – Typical American macro grain but heavy on the sweets. The fruit tastes like a weak type of orange syrup.

Mouthfeel – Nicely carbonation and even a tad refreshing.

Drinkability – The absence of anything offensive, and the big sweet flavor that masks the grain, makes this OK to drink.

Comments – I never drank PBR growing up (I was a Miller Man), so I don’t have any nostalgic attachments to this beer, but this isn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I find it funny though, reading the label, that when deciding to advertise that the beer has won an award they had to go all the way back to 1893.

The good old American red, white, and blue makes it fun to look at, too. The wheat stalks climbing up each side are reminiscent of the print that the US Treasury used on the back of American pennies from 1909 to 1963 or ’64. Cool.

Update – I originally rated this in 2003 so thought I’d get a “fresh” 2006. The smell is definitely the worst part of this beer but otherwise it’s really not that bad in a white trashy kind of way. I stand by my rating: just shy of average for an Adjust Lager.

3.9/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer.

I drink it in bottles, which I buy by the case for $9. Pabst in bottles tastes the best and is by far the most drinkable.

I drink it in tallboys at baseball games and when I'm bumming around with hillbilly chicks out in the bluffs. Drinking Pabst in tallboys is by far the most fun.

I drink Pabst on tap when I wanna show all the communist chicks at the bars that I'm sensitive to the working man's plight (I live in Madison, WI. There are tons of communist chicks running around).

I also like this beer because of its fantastik marketing scheme, which is:

1. Showcase local bands at hipster watering holes and get them to endorse Pabst.

2. Hire people to go around and buy Pabst for everyone they see. Seriously, random guys in Madison are always at the bars buying me Pabst. Hmm... that sounds a bit peculiar now that I've typed it...

3. Follow me to Tibet to make sure that I don't forget about them when I go there.

Seriously, Tibet is pretty much run by Pabst Blue Ribbon. The Red Army only thinks they have control and his Holiness the Dali Lama is plum out.

Everything in Tibet is Pabst. The umbrellas, the billboards, the clothes that taxi drivers wear, ash trays, even the tea pot in my room at the Shigaze Hotel was a big stinking ad for Pabst.

On that note, Pabst is the best beer that I've had above 13,000 feet.

I’ll highly recommend its light malts and grains over the other big macros.

2.99/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had in bottles, cans, on tap, you name it. Pours a golden, deep-straw color with lots of clarity and a thin-ass white head that is gone before you can say "PBR". Aroma is full of bustling malts and grains, maybe a hint of corn, slightly metallic and copper-like, faint touch of very dry and crisp hops in the background. The taste pretty much follows right along with the nose, handfuls of malty goodness and thick rows of sweet grains swarm the palate; hops are hard to detect, but come in a little bit stronger during the latter half, tasting very dry, crisp, and leafy, no citrus or pine or anything like that. Bitterness is low, but then again so is the sweetness, so the beer remains balanced. Carbonation provides a super crisp and clean mouthfeel, enhancing some of the end-note malt flavors that roll around. Thin body, dry finish.

PBR is a pretty average beer, but it's certainly the American adjunct lager of choice, especially for the price. This stuff is dirt cheap, and plenty of bars around will carry it. Is it extremely flavorful and masterfully crafted? No, not really. But it's something nice and easy to drink when you just want something to drink.

3.37/5  rDev +15%

PBR out of the bottle yeah!

A- Overly clear light yellow color with carbonated head that falls to a barely there ring around the head. NO lacing.

S- Smells of metallic scents with hints of malt and barley. Low amounts of hops.

T- Still great flavor of corn, malts, and the little hints of hops. This combo for a classic are amazing. Great overall taste.

M-D- Smooth as water feel with a mild dry ending. Easy to drink and doesn't make you feel like crap in the morning after mass drinking sessions.

3.75/5  rDev +28%

As said before in other reviews... I judge this solely for what it is, an American Adjunct... that being said, this is a great beer when all you really want is a beer.. followed by another and so on.... light,crisp, refreshing,and it dosen't taste like that BMC swill.... Honestly, this is my go to beer when I need a break from all the great craft beers out there... It really puts me in sync with all the varieties available today...

2.85/5  rDev -2.7%

12 onz amber bottle with no freshness date.

The appearance is a pale yellow color (classic american lager color) with a white head that go away very fast.

In the smell grains and some hops not a lot but some there.

The taste is not that bad, hops and there in there flavor which is good, but i taste some corn and some carbonation also(that i don''t like in a beer)

Notes : where i buy this beer there's sign of Pabst that says "Viva la Beer" that makes me think "isn't this the most patriotic beer?" , i don't think the sign was a good marketing strategy.

2.11/5  rDev -28%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

fresh from Jackson Pub in downtown Milwaukee, not what is was 2o years ago.

1.91/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Whenever I go to a concert, this is the beer I drink. I'm always excited to give PBR one more chance as my favorite cheap beer, but it never impresses me. PBR is an extremely heavy beer and would not even consider it a session beer. I'd still rather drink Coors or RR for hours on end.

2.78/5  rDev -5.1%

had this one over the weekend with friends my old buddy brought a case of these over while we watched some college football

ok where do i begin with this one haha how about the appearance

well it looked nice in color but the head disappeared in about 5 seconds and then looked rather flat

smelled of some eggs and wild grass and some fruit and esters not the typical clean lager smell

taste was ok and probably the best thing going for it i would say it was definitely too sweet and prickly but overall drinkable

the worst thing was the mouthfeel it tasted a bit syrupy and chewy and not light and refreshing

overall this is a decent beer at best in the value category but definitely not my cup of tea

to view more.