Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Avg: 3

- Calories 144
Reviews: 1,607 | Hads: 5,086
Reviews by kkipple:
3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

Old friends are one of the great joys of my life. You're trudging along, living your life, and they drop in unannounced and surprise you. That's the best kind, the kind you just sort of pick right up where you left off, and it's just so natural you hardly realize how much fun you're still having. So it was the easiest thing in the world to say yes when Reggie Paul called me up out of the blue yesterday and said in that deliberate way of his "Why don't you come on over?" Reggie Paul is dying.

I had just moved back to the old farm in eastern Kentucky, and hadn't been there three weeks when R.P. - we always used to call him R.P but when he graduated he went back to Reggie Paul - anyway he got me on my cell and said we should catch up. Said he found me on the internet. I hadn't seen him in twenty-four years, not since my sister's second wedding. Used to be great pals in high school. He followed his dad down into the mines, worked his way up to a nice spot I guess; whereas I spent the better part of my life talking up politicians and lawyers. But the end result of it was, we ended up on his big porch last night, just the two of us BSing and drinking down a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon, right out of the can.

It just felt right, y'know... you ease back into your old ways of talking, of mumbling, the old jokes, that ice-cold, familiar can in your hand. It still doesn't taste like much - easy grain water, clean and crisp and simple. You could have turned the clock back thirty years and you could have found us doing the exact same damn thing, on the exact porch, with the same beer - PBR. Same beer our dads used to drink together at the bar, while they swore up and down it was superior to both Bud and Miller. It hasn't changed a bit, and to be honest, except for being a little heavier and only having 9 months to live, R.P. hasn't much either. Lung cancer though. Spread everywhere. He's accepted it, you know, but there's a part of you that never does... we're not that old. Sixty-two is not that old. Seemed old, when we were young. Couldn't imagine ever being as old as your pops. But it happens, and then you have to cope.

But you find ways. These are things that make life bearable, these old friends, these beers, that are just there for you: predictable, constant, steady. No real surprises, but you didn't want any, neither. You need these things in your life just as much as - hell maybe more - than the special ones. You go through cars, jobs, wives, you watch your kids grow up, you travel the world. You need stability; you need simplicity, once in a while. When you're young it's all speed and flavor and newness... when you grow up you want clothes that fit and a woman that doesn't get bored and a beer you can trust.

R.P. and I were going to change the world, but at the finish of it neither of us ended up making much difference. We have this ice cold brew on this July evening on the porch and we have each other. So we toasted to spending another evening like just like we used to. Slowly dying together as we watch the stars just beginning to shine. Steady.

3.65/5  rDev +21.7%

Presentation: 16 oz can with a white back ground, red and blue label colour. Hey red white and blue, how American. “Established in Milwaukee 1844” stated on the front, no freshness date.

Appearance: Head foams up quite big then quickly dissipates into a wispy white lace, brilliantly clear pale golden yellow hue seems a bit inviting.

Smell: Thin sweet malt and grain, touch of strained hops in the nose. Clean aroma slight grassiness from the grain also.

Taste: Light to moderate body, nice even crispness with a somewhat effervescent carbonation. The smooth mouth feel rides on the tail of the carbonation, thin malt palate. Kiss of hops, bitterness peaks after the crispness subsides and the dryness kicks in. Trace of alcohol hit the tongue and warms the mouth and throat. Hops stick to bitterness and provide no flavour other than a faint grassiness. Some corn grit flavour in the middle, not cooked grits but rather fresh milled grits. Clean palate throughout with a great wrap-up of dryness in the finish.

Notes: This is a great premium American lager, hands down beats the big three. About the same in the bottle but obviously better on tap. A perfect change up when things get a bit tedious and want to drink a simple beer.

I'm white trash and I'm in trouble

2.95/5  rDev -1.7%

This is the best cheap beer for the money.

With its recent surge in popularity, it seems they've started selling PBR in big ol' 30 racks, instead of the standard case. Maybe this is old news, but today was the first time I saw a 30 pack... and for $12!

Poured into a glass, this beer isn't exactly easy on the eyes. It really doesn't even smell that much better than your average crap beer (if anything, it smells more like BEER than most macro crap, which usually tends to smell like water). It's the taste that is so surprising... a macro brew with HOPS in it! What a concept! Very crisp and refreshing. The corn flavor isn't exactly my thing, but it's not overwhelming. This is a very smooth drinkable beer.

As a college student, I'll admit that I've done my fair share of heavy boozin / session drinking. But I'm proud to say that when the wallet's feeling light, I make mine a Pabst.

I'll say it again: Pabst is the best cheap beer money can buy.

NOTE: PBR is the official beer of geologists.

3.89/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Ok. This is not a top shelf beer. This stuff is cheap, corn-heavy adjunct lager. That being said, it's dang tasty when it's hot out, has a little more ABV than your run of the mill 3.2, and I love that when I bust one out, very few people swarm around to get their hands on one, making it an even better value! Pale yellow in color, It's got enough malty body to separate it from the miller/coors/bud barley pop, while still being easy to drink in quantity. No real discernible hoppiness, especially compared to my standard IPA/DIPA fare. Refreshing, but not a light beer. Taken for what it is, I believe it to be a great beer, when limited to class-comparison. I'm drinking one right now, as it's 85, sunny, and I'm grilling. Boom.

4.4/5  rDev +46.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Good ole PBR! If you want a cheap beer that's better than bud, coors or miller then it's PBR. Golden Yellow with a nice foam head. Tastes like high school prom and finger banging Mary Jane rottencrotch in the back of my Trans Am on a backroad in Oklahoma. I'd recommend this beer to anyone. $9 for a 12 pack and surpasses every beer in it's class.

1.76/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

They won't be winning any blue ribbons with this one anytime soon. People will argue that this is an American classic. In reality- This beer is a watered down, flavorless turd.

It won a blue ribbon.

1.12/5  rDev -62.7%

Light yellow color. The head is very large initially and retains fairly well considering it’s a macro. Unbelievably disgusting oceanic aroma (sea water, salt, seaweed) along with light grains and corn. Watery, corny flavor with hints of light grains and sauvignon blanc. Terrifying.

3.9/5  rDev +30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Hands down the best AAL I've drank to date! I can actually drink this stuff...& when the money's tight, its become my go to cheap beer! Much the same feel of a traditional AAL, but with a definite hop aroma, taste, & character.

3.15/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

16 oz. pint - $2.00 at Highlands Grill in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Clear, yellowish body with a thin, very short-lived, white head.

Smell: Very faint nose -- just a few hints of sweetish grain.

Taste: Sweet light pale malts with some creamy corn hints. Slight, slight graininess. A tad watery, as expected. Faint floral hops and bitterness. Finishes dry, clean, and crisp.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Acceptable! A counter-culture classic that's super cheap and provides just a bit of flavor (without hittin' you up with foul flavors).

3.33/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Don't be a pretentious beer snob, guys. PBR is actually decent for a mainstream adjunct lager. It's very refreshing and smooth. Granted, PBR is thin, light-bodied, lacks flavor and aroma, but it's not as watered down or horrible as the other macro lagers (i.e. budlight -sorry).
It has a slightly funny scent of metal, faint hop profile, and grainy (corn-like) note to it.
I still give this more points for being cheap and largely available. Also, the taste is clean and crisp. I don't mind drinking this.

Why don't people understand that just because your dad and your dad's dad drank it doesn't mean its good. This beer shouldn't be shouldn't served, sold, or given away for free. This is pure butt pee in a can. Some one should petition congress and have there brewery shut down and burned. This a black eye on America's beer portfolio. I hate this beer.

Good, has a rich history, cheap at bars!

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

In my opinion, PBR has an undeserved bad rap. I find this to be an extremely easy drinking and refreshing beer...and it's inexpensive, you won't bust the bank or spend a tank full of gas looking for it! Something else going for it is the lack of that horrible "corn-grain" aftertaste so common in every other macro- brewed lager. The only real "negative" aspect PBR has is it's smell. Not sure what's going on there, it's not horrific by any stretch of the imagination, it's just a little off. I had never tried a PBR in my "formative" years, thinking it was more to my grandfather's liking...goes to show ya, there may be a reason some things stick around.

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%

I can't believe I'm reviewing PBR, here goes....

L: Poured from 12 ounce can, into 24oz frozen mug. Atypical yellow corn body, AAL stark white head.
S: Maltodextrin, Dried corn flakes.
T: Carbonated syrup with a feint amount of grain/malt on the palate. This is refreshing, believe it or not.
F: Kinda soapy after a few but nothing to sneeze at. The price per oz ratio is unbeatable. Pabst Blue Ribbon certainly hits the mark.

Very few AAL's outshine PBR. On any regular day Pabst gets overlooked by some heavier micro pales/IPA's with more character, but sometimes you just have to revisit that end of the spectrum in order to appreciate microbrews that much more.

Reviewed for what it is, this is perfect. It's the best American adjunct by far in my opinion; far beyond Bud and its ilk. It's nothing when compared to craft beers, of course, but at $3.19 per 4-pack of 16 oz. tall boys, this is my go-to when I want to get messed up for cheap (cough cough I mean it's a great session beer). Perceptible hops, an okay malt body, and no gross aftertaste make this an excellent offering for the price, considering otherwise you'd be looking at Steel Reserve or something like that.

3.62/5  rDev +20.7%

If you want a cheap, refreshing beer that doesn't taste like it was already drank once.. PBR is your go-to. Don't let hipsters ruin it. It's the drinkable alternative to B Light and Miller.

2.03/5  rDev -32.3%

Pretty much the only time you're going to "enjoy" one of these is at the end of the night when you've already had too much to drink. I read somewhere that every time a PBR is drank, a hipster gets his vintage bicycle.

The greatest beer at this price point.

PBR is the best domestic lager you can buy and it is $7.99 per 12er. Enough said.

3.4/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a crystal clear light yellow color with a 1 inch white head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Small random spots of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smells of corn flakes, sugar, and slight cooked veggies. Taste is of sweetened corn flakes and other grains. This beer has a high level of carbonation and is very crisp and clean in the mouth. Overall, this is a pretty good beer and my favorite macro beer I have tried thus far in my life. A nice go to beer when you are looking for something cheap.

2.3/5  rDev -23.3%

Just a run-of-the-mill lager brew that is a good filler/cleanser between craft brews. Give it a 4 on feel... purely because of the cost/quality affect of having fun with beer. Nothing overpowering in this beer... but clean. Love that it comes in pint cans to wet the whistle after a long day in the yard, at the lake, or coming off the slopes.

1.5/5  rDev -50%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I see that the reviewers gave PBR a 72 rating & the Bros an 80 rating. And the reviewers gave Beck's a 67 rating & the Bros a 62 rating. Are you all nuts?!! Beck's now may be owned by InBev & brewed in St. Louis, MO. But I recently called Beck's brewmaster & he assured me that they were still brewing to the German Purity Law, which means they're only using water, barley malt, hops & yeast. I'm sure Pabst isn't doing the same. I know why all of you are rating Pabst higher than Beck's. It has nothing to do with PBR's quality. Rather, it's the "pseudo-hipster's" rating, i.e. "PBR is 'cooler' than Beck's because it doesn't advertise & has the patriotic U.S. colors of red, white & blue." C'mon everyone - get real. No way is PBR better tasting than Beck's. And no, I don't work for Beck's & I'm not German. However, I've brewed my own beers & know a bit of what I'm talking about.

This beer comes straight from the gods. with the best flavor i have ever experienced . with a golden piss color pour, it keeps screaming back for more. with a amazing head that you cant beat.when it hits your lips its like getting a kiss from baby Jesus, i cant stop drinking it and i probably wont till my liver fails. ALL HAIL PBR!

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company