Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Reviews by stormgasm7:

stormgasm7, May 01, 2013
3.65/5  rDev +24.1%

Presentation: 16 oz can with a white back ground, red and blue label colour. Hey red white and blue, how American. “Established in Milwaukee 1844” stated on the front, no freshness date.

Appearance: Head foams up quite big then quickly dissipates into a wispy white lace, brilliantly clear pale golden yellow hue seems a bit inviting.

Smell: Thin sweet malt and grain, touch of strained hops in the nose. Clean aroma slight grassiness from the grain also.

Taste: Light to moderate body, nice even crispness with a somewhat effervescent carbonation. The smooth mouth feel rides on the tail of the carbonation, thin malt palate. Kiss of hops, bitterness peaks after the crispness subsides and the dryness kicks in. Trace of alcohol hit the tongue and warms the mouth and throat. Hops stick to bitterness and provide no flavour other than a faint grassiness. Some corn grit flavour in the middle, not cooked grits but rather fresh milled grits. Clean palate throughout with a great wrap-up of dryness in the finish.

Notes: This is a great premium American lager, hands down beats the big three. About the same in the bottle but obviously better on tap. A perfect change up when things get a bit tedious and want to drink a simple beer.

Jason, Oct 12, 2002
3.2/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

16 oz. pint - $2.00 at Highlands Grill in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Clear, yellowish body with a thin, very short-lived, white head.

Smell: Very faint nose -- just a few hints of sweetish grain.

Taste: Sweet light pale malts with some creamy corn hints. Slight, slight graininess. A tad watery, as expected. Faint floral hops and bitterness. Finishes dry, clean, and crisp.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Acceptable! A counter-culture classic that's super cheap and provides just a bit of flavor (without hittin' you up with foul flavors).

ChainGangGuy, Dec 30, 2008

This is the best cheap beer for the money.

With its recent surge in popularity, it seems they've started selling PBR in big ol' 30 racks, instead of the standard case. Maybe this is old news, but today was the first time I saw a 30 pack... and for $12!

Poured into a glass, this beer isn't exactly easy on the eyes. It really doesn't even smell that much better than your average crap beer (if anything, it smells more like BEER than most macro crap, which usually tends to smell like water). It's the taste that is so surprising... a macro brew with HOPS in it! What a concept! Very crisp and refreshing. The corn flavor isn't exactly my thing, but it's not overwhelming. This is a very smooth drinkable beer.

As a college student, I'll admit that I've done my fair share of heavy boozin / session drinking. But I'm proud to say that when the wallet's feeling light, I make mine a Pabst.

I'll say it again: Pabst is the best cheap beer money can buy.

NOTE: PBR is the official beer of geologists.

Marty, Apr 30, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Ok. This is not a top shelf beer. This stuff is cheap, corn-heavy adjunct lager. That being said, it's dang tasty when it's hot out, has a little more ABV than your run of the mill 3.2, and I love that when I bust one out, very few people swarm around to get their hands on one, making it an even better value! Pale yellow in color, It's got enough malty body to separate it from the miller/coors/bud barley pop, while still being easy to drink in quantity. No real discernible hoppiness, especially compared to my standard IPA/DIPA fare. Refreshing, but not a light beer. Taken for what it is, I believe it to be a great beer, when limited to class-comparison. I'm drinking one right now, as it's 85, sunny, and I'm grilling. Boom.

MikeI, Jul 26, 2014
1.1/5  rDev -62.6%

Light yellow color. The head is very large initially and retains fairly well considering it’s a macro. Unbelievably disgusting oceanic aroma (sea water, salt, seaweed) along with light grains and corn. Watery, corny flavor with hints of light grains and sauvignon blanc. Terrifying.

Crosling, May 22, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +31%

Overall I thought Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) was an OK beer. The taste wasn't as good as I expected, but it was still not a terrible beer. The appearance of the beer was nice, but the smell was not that good. If I was offered this beer sometime in the future again I would have one, but I would not buy it.

RyanLaCount03, Feb 20, 2013
2.9/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance – Not bad. The yellow body is a tad on the cloudy side. The head came up big and fell down with that volcanic style that looks so cool.

Smell – The grain aroma isn’t bad either. There’s nothing nasty in there, that’s for sure.

Taste – Typical American macro grain but heavy on the sweets. The fruit tastes like a weak type of orange syrup.

Mouthfeel – Nicely carbonation and even a tad refreshing.

Drinkability – The absence of anything offensive, and the big sweet flavor that masks the grain, makes this OK to drink.

Comments – I never drank PBR growing up (I was a Miller Man), so I don’t have any nostalgic attachments to this beer, but this isn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I find it funny though, reading the label, that when deciding to advertise that the beer has won an award they had to go all the way back to 1893.

The good old American red, white, and blue makes it fun to look at, too. The wheat stalks climbing up each side are reminiscent of the print that the US Treasury used on the back of American pennies from 1909 to 1963 or ’64. Cool.

Update – I originally rated this in 2003 so thought I’d get a “fresh” 2006. The smell is definitely the worst part of this beer but otherwise it’s really not that bad in a white trashy kind of way. I stand by my rating: just shy of average for an Adjust Lager.

RoyalT, Sep 09, 2003
3.93/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer.

I drink it in bottles, which I buy by the case for $9. Pabst in bottles tastes the best and is by far the most drinkable.

I drink it in tallboys at baseball games and when I'm bumming around with hillbilly chicks out in the bluffs. Drinking Pabst in tallboys is by far the most fun.

I drink Pabst on tap when I wanna show all the communist chicks at the bars that I'm sensitive to the working man's plight (I live in Madison, WI. There are tons of communist chicks running around).

I also like this beer because of its fantastik marketing scheme, which is:

1. Showcase local bands at hipster watering holes and get them to endorse Pabst.

2. Hire people to go around and buy Pabst for everyone they see. Seriously, random guys in Madison are always at the bars buying me Pabst. Hmm... that sounds a bit peculiar now that I've typed it...

3. Follow me to Tibet to make sure that I don't forget about them when I go there.

Seriously, Tibet is pretty much run by Pabst Blue Ribbon. The Red Army only thinks they have control and his Holiness the Dali Lama is plum out.

Everything in Tibet is Pabst. The umbrellas, the billboards, the clothes that taxi drivers wear, ash trays, even the tea pot in my room at the Shigaze Hotel was a big stinking ad for Pabst.

On that note, Pabst is the best beer that I've had above 13,000 feet.

I’ll highly recommend its light malts and grains over the other big macros.

DaPeculierDane, Sep 13, 2005

beerhunter13, Jul 30, 2013
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had in bottles, cans, on tap, you name it. Pours a golden, deep-straw color with lots of clarity and a thin-ass white head that is gone before you can say "PBR". Aroma is full of bustling malts and grains, maybe a hint of corn, slightly metallic and copper-like, faint touch of very dry and crisp hops in the background. The taste pretty much follows right along with the nose, handfuls of malty goodness and thick rows of sweet grains swarm the palate; hops are hard to detect, but come in a little bit stronger during the latter half, tasting very dry, crisp, and leafy, no citrus or pine or anything like that. Bitterness is low, but then again so is the sweetness, so the beer remains balanced. Carbonation provides a super crisp and clean mouthfeel, enhancing some of the end-note malt flavors that roll around. Thin body, dry finish.

PBR is a pretty average beer, but it's certainly the American adjunct lager of choice, especially for the price. This stuff is dirt cheap, and plenty of bars around will carry it. Is it extremely flavorful and masterfully crafted? No, not really. But it's something nice and easy to drink when you just want something to drink.

tectactoe, Nov 30, 2012
3.35/5  rDev +13.9%

PBR out of the bottle yeah!

A- Overly clear light yellow color with carbonated head that falls to a barely there ring around the head. NO lacing.

S- Smells of metallic scents with hints of malt and barley. Low amounts of hops.

T- Still great flavor of corn, malts, and the little hints of hops. This combo for a classic are amazing. Great overall taste.

M-D- Smooth as water feel with a mild dry ending. Easy to drink and doesn't make you feel like crap in the morning after mass drinking sessions.

wesbrownyeah, May 25, 2009
3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

tbryan5, Feb 28, 2014
2.24/5  rDev -23.8%

GameOfBeers, Aug 19, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -23.5%

ajkiser12, Nov 27, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +29.3%

As said before in other reviews... I judge this solely for what it is, an American Adjunct... that being said, this is a great beer when all you really want is a beer.. followed by another and so on.... light,crisp, refreshing,and it dosen't taste like that BMC swill.... Honestly, this is my go to beer when I need a break from all the great craft beers out there... It really puts me in sync with all the varieties available today...

diesel59, May 05, 2012