2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,708 | Reviews: 1,468 | Show All Ratings:
pabstblue78

Georgia

I feel a sense of pride when I drink this beer.This is a classic american lager that I hold close to my heart so it is going to be hard to say anything negative about this beer,My cousin and I used to sneak this brew from my grandmother's fridge when we were just 11 or 12 and take it to the woods and drink them for my first ever buzz.Great beer Great price it pours an appealing light gold color It smells like sweet corn and malt.It taste like liquid gold.The mouthfeel is a little sub par but not enough to complain.The drinkability is unsurpassable but hey I'm biased.

10-01-2009 03:23:04 | More by pabstblue78
Brand

Pabst Blue Ribbon is a straight ahead beer. When that's what you want, this gives you top of the line quality for that. It has a 'pure' refreshing light flavor, and sometimes that's exactly what I want. And it does it superbly.

It's a basic beer, what more can anyone say.
My body's senses indicate the ingredients are good.
Some cheap beers I don't get that sense, - with how my body responds.

03-31-2012 02:12:42 | More by Brand
netrioter

rating this from a 40oz bottle....due to movies like Gran Torino making this beer hip...that said 40oz bottle was $3.79 in Kokomo Indiana at Soupleys Liquors and they cant keep them on the shelves. the same bottle here in Durham NC is $1.89

oddly enough that same liquor store had 12oz cans x 6 for $5.29 but i wanted to try it from glass for a change and only 25 miles away...12.99 for a 30 pack??? Indiana is weird..they have extreme regional pricing schemes

easily the best "adjunct" lager sold in the US...can version rates slightly lower...like a 4+ because the can does add a bit of a metallic bite,which is NOT present in the 24 oz can...weird

I drink this when i want flavor and a slight hop bite, and since i moved to a better pricing area...its also fairly affordable here...10 bucks an 18 pack....highly recommended from the bottle or on tap.

07-20-2012 09:35:31 | More by netrioter
GoBruins

Beer starts and ends with an ice cold PBR. Yeah we all like a nice micro brew from time to time. Or having a nice stout or IPA when the mood strikes. But lets be honest there is nothing better than turning on the game, sitting back and cracking a Pabst Blue Ribbon. My only gripe is that Miller has chosen to skyrocket the price of this once working class beer. PBR is the best, hands down.

10-21-2012 06:15:32 | More by GoBruins
Zormac

The best American mass produced lager bar none this is plain and simple beer on a budget that taste great with any grillin' food, goes down great when your mowing the lawn I always have a 30 block in my fridge and the best part about it is you can say you bought the beer and no one will drink your fridge empty because they all think Bud Lite taste better this is my everyday beer of choice.

11-18-2012 14:40:55 | More by Zormac
Kaytru

The best American Lager out there! Leaps and bounds better than its competitors. Not as watery, more of a bite and a refreshing malty finish. PBR ME ASAP!...if you like Classic Beer you need not look further PBR will do the trick. Cool brand aesthetics also!!!!

02-15-2013 06:57:58 | More by Kaytru
TexasRedskinFan

Pabst Blue Ribbon. Where can I start? I have so many good memories with this beer. I lived in Albuquerque for a little while and we used to go down town to this Punk Rock bar named the Atomic Cantina. They had $1 sixteen ounce cans all day every day. Great way to start a night of bar hopping.
As usual, I review beers based on style but also reality.
Pabst is great clean American beer.

Nothing fancy here. Lighter than Budweiser, cleaner than Miller and Coors. Tastes like cold, clean, crisp goodness. Okay this is not a "beer snob" type of beer. It's not even my favourite beer either. But every once in a while I will choose this over ANY beer of ANY style. Usually when I'm broke, LOL... But that's besides the point.

Pours light golden in colour.
Smells like cereal grains and sweet malty overall
Smells very neutral. Slightly sweet.
Tastes clean and crisp. Dry beer before it was popular.

This is a classic. And I highly doubt it will ever go out of style or production.

08-30-2013 02:23:14 | More by TexasRedskinFan
Josephddscott

Wisconsin

This beer comes straight from the gods. with the best flavor i have ever experienced . with a golden piss color pour, it keeps screaming back for more. with a amazing head that you cant beat.when it hits your lips its like getting a kiss from baby Jesus, i cant stop drinking it and i probably wont till my liver fails. ALL HAIL PBR!

09-12-2013 23:55:32 | More by Josephddscott
MTfish

Montana

Golden clean color in the glass and smells like a good cold crisp PBR should. It tastes like a good day on the river or getting face shots with ur bros and the mouthfeel is thirst quenching and refreshing. Overall its the best cheap canned beer you can buy and the can says nothin but freedom!

10-17-2013 04:43:09 | More by MTfish
Pries

4.98/5  rDev +68.8%

I've had beer on the World Beer Tour & many great brews, but Pabst Blue Ribbon will always be my favorite beer. It's full of a yummy crisp taste with only the finest of hops & grains with a patriotic appearance, a genuine decent price in liquor establishments & when you drink it you can feel the pride of Milwaukee in your mouth.

03-23-2012 01:31:17 | More by Pries
hatecave09

4.88/5  rDev +65.4%

There is a reason its called blue ribbon!

True american taste, cheaper, and gets you the obliteration one craves.

Pale, bubbly, light yellowed redneck refreshment!

A million stars on my class chart.

No need to question the AWESOME!

All Hail D.B.S. (Death Before Sobriety)

05-14-2012 04:35:24 | More by hatecave09
mike83

Nevada

4.83/5  rDev +63.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer actually tastes like BEER. Not some lousy, fruity elixir. I thoroughly enjoyed every sip of this beer and I have no doubt that, based on taste and price, that this beer will be one of my regular beer brands for decades to come. It had a very nice flavor, but it was in no way overpowering like some beers. I highly recommend this beer to anyone who likes the taste of beer and likes to save money.

02-01-2014 08:47:47 | More by mike83
cusefan

4.8/5  rDev +62.7%

Appearance - This is a gold-colored beer, very clear, bright white head

Smell - Smells of typical American adjunct - seems to be some corn adjunct in there.

Taste - Excellent, goes down easy, perhaps slightly watery, but excellent taste and a very session-able beer.

Drinkability - Absolutely Excellent. You could drink these all day and never get sick of them.

This is an exceptional American beer. Holds up extremely well against Budweiser, Coors, Miller and the like. If I had to pick between Pabst and them, I would choose PBR every time - based on just the taste; add in that it's usually a few bucks cheaper - even better. If you have never had PBR, you need to try it. MADE IN AMERICA - UNION MADE.

05-05-2012 23:32:04 | More by cusefan
goatuscrow

Germany

4.8/5  rDev +62.7%

What we've got here is a red, white and blue can of goodness. I remember 20 or so years ago I bought this in pounders out of fiscal necessity.

I thought it was great then and I stand up and shout out of the window to everyone still living in Benjamin Franklin Village(NOBODY) "I LOVE PBR"

Mannheim Germany

07-20-2012 06:52:59 | More by goatuscrow
caper1

Maine

4.79/5  rDev +62.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

honesty for the price, you cant beat it. Better than miller, bud light, Coors, and the others. Taste is some bitterness, smell is a bit grain like, and some hops. Nothing that would blow you're socks off. Pretty mild body. Nothing bad to say in the brew I had. You must give it try.

12-10-2013 01:03:58 | More by caper1
Millerman

South Carolina

4.75/5  rDev +61%

It's been over 30 years since I last drank a PBR.
Earlier this year I went to a get together for a person who was retiring and the pub had a PBR sign. I didn't know PBR was still being brewed! I asked for one and have been hooked ever since.
For the price this one of the best beers I have ever tried. I read it is brewed by Miller under contract. All I know is I have found my beer.

Appearance - Golden hue
Smell - Wonderful
Taste - Exceptional. Not too hoppy, which I like.
Drinkability - Goes down smooth

05-28-2009 21:44:59 | More by Millerman
Khad

Nevada

4.68/5  rDev +58.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look you have to put everything in perspective. Obviously this is not the high quality handcrafted beer you would expect from this rating, however when compared to all in it's class this is far superior.

I find the best way to enjoy this beer is can poured into a glass. The appearance is a little nicer than most American style Lagers. Smell is a little grassy but it's not bad at all it's really kind of pleasant and refreshing scent not as skunky as most in it's class. The taste is very surprising with it being very crisp. You can pick up some grain but not overpowering. Very drinkable and no horrible after taste...the mouth feel is better than typical without the carbonation ruining your taste buds for the duration of the session. I think it's the best in it's class, definitely very drinkable, I liked it!

03-04-2013 21:44:17 | More by Khad
cryinginmybeer

Kentucky

4.65/5  rDev +57.6%

pours a pale golden color with thin head,smells of grain and corn.

the taste is well balanced for an adjunt lager,very good in taste and mouthfeel,its a nice refreshing beer thats easyto drink.

if you are looking for a beer that taste the same day in and day out pabst is that beer.

08-08-2005 18:48:07 | More by cryinginmybeer
morayeel

4.58/5  rDev +55.3%

what can be said best abot this beer its the "KING" of Macro Beers.

What can I say this is a nice hot day summer beer. PBR was a shocker to me when I first tasted the smoth clean taste. Mush betther then a high life or a budweiser.

A- golden yellow with a thin head

S- Not much smell just a little hint of hops

T- Taste is smooth no bitterness with a just a hint of hops at the end.

M- crisp a clean

D- This is an all day football drinking beer or a good party beer.

I have on a PABST kick no for several weeks and its hard to get off of it. I must say for having more the 50 different selection to choose from I go for a PABST first.

06-18-2008 23:17:28 | More by morayeel
HammerHHI

4.55/5  rDev +54.2%

I decided to reacquaint myself with this beer after discovering this wonderful website. The American Adjunct Lager category is the most popular in the US and this beer, after tasting side by side to the most popular- Bud, Miller and the always stale Coors, stands the tallest. It is thirst quenching. I am sure that the high water content has something to do with it but who cares, I mean how many beers even pass this important threshold? Notes:

A: pale, golden, clear, bright white froth

S: wet bread, alcohol, slightly sweet

T: refreshing, immediate surprise of non-bitterness or staleness,it tastes fresh!, beer properties of muti grains including corn and quick hop finish

M: carbonated, crisp, non offensive

Overall: This beer stands above any AAL in terms of value to quality. Many other beers may tout finer quality ingredients and may follow intricate recipes, but thier results do not add up to the taste of this beer. Each beer type has a style that has a standard bearer. For American Adjunct Lager, Pabst Blue Ribbon is that standard bearer.

08-07-2012 20:18:54 | More by HammerHHI
ilovemacros

4.55/5  rDev +54.2%

this is a great beer. Classic American brew. People would laugh when I would buy this, but when when they tasted it they quit laughing lol. Ive only had this in cans. For some reason her in my lil corner of Texas they do not sell it in bottles. Hell, sometimes I'm lucky if I can find it at all. For a while I had to go to San Antonio to find it. Even there it was only in cans...ugh. Such a great beer should be on every shelf just as Bud and Bud Light.

12-20-2012 03:56:58 | More by ilovemacros
wolf26

4.5/5  rDev +52.5%

It would serve no purpose to review one style of beer against another, which in my opinion is a common occurance on sites like this. You would not compare a sports car to a pick-up truck. Although both automobiles, they are designed to serve different purposes. With this kept in mind I will review this beer in comparision to others of its kind.

A: Drank straight from a 24 oz. can, although have poured it in a glass mug before, typical straw color from what I remember.

S: Typical maco-beer smell. Tolerable, slightly pungent.

Taste: Light malt flavor, readily apparent grassy hop taste (yes it is possible to taste hops in an American macro). Dry finish, with light malt flavor, crisp carbonation.

M: Light, moderately carbonated, crisp, refreshing, slightly dry finish.

D: When cold, very easy to drink many of these. I have had some batches that have seemed slightly off and the adjuct corn flavor is more apparent, but by no means as much as Miller brand products. Overall, keep it cold, and you have an above average, "average beer," at a great price. A better product and value than the rest of the mass produced swill.

09-18-2007 19:11:38 | More by wolf26
kdawg105

Georgia

4.5/5  rDev +52.5%

Well the ole PBR. I am shocked poured out of can into highball glass the appearance is a light yellow color with minimal carbonation. The smell is good which is sweet with a nice hint of hops. I really like the taste it has both a hops and grain taste. The mouthfeel is really nice. The drinkability is great goes down smooth and finishes clean! Trully is an all american lager!

02-02-2010 01:59:55 | More by kdawg105
Mastodactyl

4.5/5  rDev +52.5%

A - Clear light golden. Has a pretty foamy head.

S - I wouldn't exactly say there is a smell. This is your run of the mill cheap beer.

T - American. Patriotic. This is your default beer you would find in a 30 pack. However the taste isn't that bad. Is it a cheap beer? No doubt, but your getting more than you paid for really.

M - Clean, crisp. Feels good.

D - Extremely easy to drink, a beer I could easily have on a regular basis. Typical yet very drinkable.

09-01-2010 20:17:17 | More by Mastodactyl
bbluemzbeer

4.48/5  rDev +51.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I rate this beer alittle better then Bud, Miller and Coors and price is better then them too.

Apperance: yellow. It looks like beer

Smell : smell like grain, like beer should smell like.

Taste: I was surprised how good this beer tasted. It tasted like malt and corn and some mild at the end. It has character !

Mouthfeel: Strongly carbonated with a thin body. It just like americcan lager beer

This beer was real nasty as kid but it taste pretty good now. Maybe I drank it warm or they changed the formula. I would drank some more in the future and price is better then the BMC. Good beer!

03-31-2013 18:42:35 | More by bbluemzbeer