Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Avg: 3
pDev: 44%
Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,607 | Hads: 5,083

The best American Lager out there! Leaps and bounds better than its competitors. Not as watery, more of a bite and a refreshing malty finish. PBR ME ASAP!...if you like Classic Beer you need not look further PBR will do the trick. Cool brand aesthetics also!!!!

This beer comes straight from the gods. with the best flavor i have ever experienced . with a golden piss color pour, it keeps screaming back for more. with a amazing head that you cant beat.when it hits your lips its like getting a kiss from baby Jesus, i cant stop drinking it and i probably wont till my liver fails. ALL HAIL PBR!

Pabst Blue Ribbon is a straight ahead beer. When that's what you want, this gives you top of the line quality for that. It has a 'pure' refreshing light flavor, and sometimes that's exactly what I want. And it does it superbly.

It's a basic beer, what more can anyone say.
My body's senses indicate the ingredients are good.
Some cheap beers I don't get that sense, - with how my body responds.

4.97/5  rDev +65.7%

I've had beer on the World Beer Tour & many great brews, but Pabst Blue Ribbon will always be my favorite beer. It's full of a yummy crisp taste with only the finest of hops & grains with a patriotic appearance, a genuine decent price in liquor establishments & when you drink it you can feel the pride of Milwaukee in your mouth.

4.85/5  rDev +61.7%

There is a reason its called blue ribbon!

True american taste, cheaper, and gets you the obliteration one craves.

Pale, bubbly, light yellowed redneck refreshment!

A million stars on my class chart.

No need to question the AWESOME!

All Hail D.B.S. (Death Before Sobriety)

4.84/5  rDev +61.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer actually tastes like BEER. Not some lousy, fruity elixir. I thoroughly enjoyed every sip of this beer and I have no doubt that, based on taste and price, that this beer will be one of my regular beer brands for decades to come. It had a very nice flavor, but it was in no way overpowering like some beers. I highly recommend this beer to anyone who likes the taste of beer and likes to save money.

4.79/5  rDev +59.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

honesty for the price, you cant beat it. Better than miller, bud light, Coors, and the others. Taste is some bitterness, smell is a bit grain like, and some hops. Nothing that would blow you're socks off. Pretty mild body. Nothing bad to say in the brew I had. You must give it try.

4.77/5  rDev +59%

What we've got here is a red, white and blue can of goodness. I remember 20 or so years ago I bought this in pounders out of fiscal necessity.

I thought it was great then and I stand up and shout out of the window to everyone still living in Benjamin Franklin Village(NOBODY) "I LOVE PBR"

Mannheim Germany

4.76/5  rDev +58.7%

Appearance - This is a gold-colored beer, very clear, bright white head

Smell - Smells of typical American adjunct - seems to be some corn adjunct in there.

Taste - Excellent, goes down easy, perhaps slightly watery, but excellent taste and a very session-able beer.

Drinkability - Absolutely Excellent. You could drink these all day and never get sick of them.

This is an exceptional American beer. Holds up extremely well against Budweiser, Coors, Miller and the like. If I had to pick between Pabst and them, I would choose PBR every time - based on just the taste; add in that it's usually a few bucks cheaper - even better. If you have never had PBR, you need to try it. MADE IN AMERICA - UNION MADE.

4.75/5  rDev +58.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great adjunct lager. Lite body, crisp, refreshing. For an AAL it does have a little more character than similar brands, not complex, just a little more character. Very drinkable or a great session beer, also a good burger, pizza, tacos beer etc. Compare with other more expensive beers and you will be pleasantly surprised.

4.7/5  rDev +56.7%

It's been over 30 years since I last drank a PBR.
Earlier this year I went to a get together for a person who was retiring and the pub had a PBR sign. I didn't know PBR was still being brewed! I asked for one and have been hooked ever since.
For the price this one of the best beers I have ever tried. I read it is brewed by Miller under contract. All I know is I have found my beer.

Appearance - Golden hue
Smell - Wonderful
Taste - Exceptional. Not too hoppy, which I like.
Drinkability - Goes down smooth

4.67/5  rDev +55.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look you have to put everything in perspective. Obviously this is not the high quality handcrafted beer you would expect from this rating, however when compared to all in it's class this is far superior.

I find the best way to enjoy this beer is can poured into a glass. The appearance is a little nicer than most American style Lagers. Smell is a little grassy but it's not bad at all it's really kind of pleasant and refreshing scent not as skunky as most in it's class. The taste is very surprising with it being very crisp. You can pick up some grain but not overpowering. Very drinkable and no horrible after taste...the mouth feel is better than typical without the carbonation ruining your taste buds for the duration of the session. I think it's the best in it's class, definitely very drinkable, I liked it!

4.6/5  rDev +53.3%

pours a pale golden color with thin head,smells of grain and corn.

the taste is well balanced for an adjunt lager,very good in taste and mouthfeel,its a nice refreshing beer thats easyto drink.

if you are looking for a beer that taste the same day in and day out pabst is that beer.

4.57/5  rDev +52.3%

what can be said best abot this beer its the "KING" of Macro Beers.

What can I say this is a nice hot day summer beer. PBR was a shocker to me when I first tasted the smoth clean taste. Mush betther then a high life or a budweiser.

A- golden yellow with a thin head

S- Not much smell just a little hint of hops

T- Taste is smooth no bitterness with a just a hint of hops at the end.

M- crisp a clean

D- This is an all day football drinking beer or a good party beer.

I have on a PABST kick no for several weeks and its hard to get off of it. I must say for having more the 50 different selection to choose from I go for a PABST first.

4.5/5  rDev +50%

this is a great beer. Classic American brew. People would laugh when I would buy this, but when when they tasted it they quit laughing lol. Ive only had this in cans. For some reason her in my lil corner of Texas they do not sell it in bottles. Hell, sometimes I'm lucky if I can find it at all. For a while I had to go to San Antonio to find it. Even there it was only in cans...ugh. Such a great beer should be on every shelf just as Bud and Bud Light.

4.5/5  rDev +50%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I rate this beer alittle better then Bud, Miller and Coors and price is better then them too.

Apperance: yellow. It looks like beer

Smell : smell like grain, like beer should smell like.

Taste: I was surprised how good this beer tasted. It tasted like malt and corn and some mild at the end. It has character !

Mouthfeel: Strongly carbonated with a thin body. It just like americcan lager beer

This beer was real nasty as kid but it taste pretty good now. Maybe I drank it warm or they changed the formula. I would drank some more in the future and price is better then the BMC. Good beer!

4.5/5  rDev +50%

I decided to reacquaint myself with this beer after discovering this wonderful website. The American Adjunct Lager category is the most popular in the US and this beer, after tasting side by side to the most popular- Bud, Miller and the always stale Coors, stands the tallest. It is thirst quenching. I am sure that the high water content has something to do with it but who cares, I mean how many beers even pass this important threshold? Notes:

A: pale, golden, clear, bright white froth

S: wet bread, alcohol, slightly sweet

T: refreshing, immediate surprise of non-bitterness or staleness,it tastes fresh!, beer properties of muti grains including corn and quick hop finish

M: carbonated, crisp, non offensive

Overall: This beer stands above any AAL in terms of value to quality. Many other beers may tout finer quality ingredients and may follow intricate recipes, but thier results do not add up to the taste of this beer. Each beer type has a style that has a standard bearer. For American Adjunct Lager, Pabst Blue Ribbon is that standard bearer.

4.48/5  rDev +49.3%

Well the ole PBR. I am shocked poured out of can into highball glass the appearance is a light yellow color with minimal carbonation. The smell is good which is sweet with a nice hint of hops. I really like the taste it has both a hops and grain taste. The mouthfeel is really nice. The drinkability is great goes down smooth and finishes clean! Trully is an all american lager!

4.42/5  rDev +47.3%

First review I've done in a while. Have not stopped drinking good beer, just not reviewing. Also, I thought this beer deserved some good press for once.

A - who cares, not pouring it out of my can, but If I did, it would look very appropriate for an American lager.

S - Not much there, but it smells like beer.

T - Why bother tasting it, just open up, tip your head back and bottoms up!

M - Feels like beer, I like how the bubbles tickle my tongue.

D - When you can slam a beer without having to get off of your bike, then you have a '5'!

4.42/5  rDev +47.3%

A - Clear light golden. Has a pretty foamy head.

S - I wouldn't exactly say there is a smell. This is your run of the mill cheap beer.

T - American. Patriotic. This is your default beer you would find in a 30 pack. However the taste isn't that bad. Is it a cheap beer? No doubt, but your getting more than you paid for really.

M - Clean, crisp. Feels good.

D - Extremely easy to drink, a beer I could easily have on a regular basis. Typical yet very drinkable.

Serving type: can

4.4/5  rDev +46.7%

It would serve no purpose to review one style of beer against another, which in my opinion is a common occurance on sites like this. You would not compare a sports car to a pick-up truck. Although both automobiles, they are designed to serve different purposes. With this kept in mind I will review this beer in comparision to others of its kind.

A: Drank straight from a 24 oz. can, although have poured it in a glass mug before, typical straw color from what I remember.

S: Typical maco-beer smell. Tolerable, slightly pungent.

Taste: Light malt flavor, readily apparent grassy hop taste (yes it is possible to taste hops in an American macro). Dry finish, with light malt flavor, crisp carbonation.

M: Light, moderately carbonated, crisp, refreshing, slightly dry finish.

D: When cold, very easy to drink many of these. I have had some batches that have seemed slightly off and the adjuct corn flavor is more apparent, but by no means as much as Miller brand products. Overall, keep it cold, and you have an above average, "average beer," at a great price. A better product and value than the rest of the mass produced swill.

4.4/5  rDev +46.7%

PABST. Smooth,golden nectar that excites the senses and massages the soul.

Appears light,but golden,with a fragile and fast departing head.Decent lace.Classic aroma.Easy drinking,with knock out taste. Pairs well with most anything off the grill. grab some friends,some PBR,and relax.

4.4/5  rDev +46.7%

Cans, cans, cans is the way to go with PBR! 16oz and 24oz. For some reason it just doesn't taste the same out of the bottle and I've only had it on tap once and it was _nothing_ to write home about. I recently moved to Colorado and before I knew anything about their laws, I picked up a 12 pack of cans at a grocery store only to find out it's the 3.2% stuff. Not the same goodness as the original can.

Heads and shoulders above the big 3 macros. A fine brew for an afternoon thirst and goes along with most foods just fine. Excellent at 8am with a re-heated mesquite grilled steak leftover from the night before.

4.4/5  rDev +46.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Good ole PBR! If you want a cheap beer that's better than bud, coors or miller then it's PBR. Golden Yellow with a nice foam head. Tastes like high school prom and finger banging Mary Jane rottencrotch in the back of my Trans Am on a backroad in Oklahoma. I'd recommend this beer to anyone. $9 for a 12 pack and surpasses every beer in it's class.

4.4/5  rDev +46.7%

I'll admit that Pabst Blue Ribbon is one of my favorite beers of all time.

Honestly, it's hit or miss. Sometimes I get a beer can that is skunky and then the next one will be fine. I encounter this every once and a while however its not an every beer occurance.

Appearance: The beer pours a light straw pale yellow color and the lacing lasts for only tantamount of seconds.

Smell: Pabst usually smells pleasant. Like I said sometimes it's hit or miss. Smells of light corn fruitiness with a tad of hops and very light alcohol.

Taste: Once again, can some times be hit or miss. I really enjoy the flavor myself, personally. Very fruity with a nice carbonation and bit of bite.

Mouthfeel: Light on the palette, easy to swallow, and very, very refreshing.

Drinkability: I could do an entire case in one sitting without feeling too full or losing interest in the beer itself.

PBR is my go to beer. Cheap, delicious...most of the time and very easy to find.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company