Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,588 | Hads: 5,015
2.38/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance is of light golden color and crisp head. Smell has a corny adjunct graininess to it. Taste of crisp lightly metallic adjunct with a clean dry finish. Mouthfeel is light having good body and carbonation. Not one of the smoothest lagers I've had, but not bad. (268 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours a crystal clear, pale yellow with a white, finger width head. Retention is poor and produces a thin, semi-sticky lacing.

Smell - Ahh, the sweet smell of american lager. Sweet grainy malts and a grassy hop.

Taste - Tastes of corn and barley. Sweet, with only faint notes of grassy hop to give it a touch of balance. Finishes somewhat dry.

Mouthfeel - Light in body, with an expected lifeless, fizzy carbonation.

Overall - I don't understand the revival this beer has had, especially amongst the hipster crowd. It's no better or different than any other dirt cheap american lager. In fact I taste no difference between this and Natural Light.... just another reason to hate the hipster movement. (717 characters)

24 oz. can.

Into my pimp-cup this 'classic' goes. I'm currently running dry on funds at the end of the semester so i'll have to settle. This comes with decent recommendations here at BA.

This pours out a macro piss-yellow with an impressive head. Lacing on a macro! OMG! The lacing is in fact quite intricate and looks like a stamp left from a bunch of golf balls. Not bad at all!

The smell isn't too bad either, somewhere in between real beer and mass produced swill. I get a light twinge of metallic hops on the nose as well as a little bit of sweet malt. More than anything is the adjuncty metallic smell again. Again, impressive for its status.

The taste is rather unobtrusive. The first rush is all macro crap, but then your tastebuds are relieved to taste something somewhat "Beery". There's a nice hit of maltiness on the end as well as a slight prick of hops. The aftertaste is a little robotic and unpleasant, but altogether this is one better than mediocre macro! There is no mouthfeel to speak of: were talking about wetter than water here.

Drinkability is decent. You could probably wolf down a whole bunch, but would that really gain you anything? I wish I had an idea of ABV.

Really not too bad at all. This is one I would've avoided were it not for the forgiving BA crowd. If I had to dumb down my beer choices due to budget, this is most likely what i'd reach for. (1,399 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -23.4%

Ummm.... Thanks to beerman207 for sharing this with me. Something that I haven't drank since my college days and while it brought back a lot of fun memories, it was definitely not the most quality beer drinking experience I've ever had.

Appearance: Color was very pale light yellow and reminded me of something... What could it be? It attempted to sustain a head but there wasn't much chance of that. Moderate carbonation is present and an oily residue kind of hangs around on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Mmmm... Is that skunk I smell? Yep. I think I smell corn too... sigh...

Taste: Yep, I would say corn.

Mouthfeel: Pretty lively actually. Carbonation is very present and this might be the best part about the beer.

Drinkability: In reality, while I may have had a rough bottle, and it there's truly nothing that strikes me as remotely remarkable about it, it would be easy to drink quite a few of these in a session because it is so light and easy (take that for what it is) to drink. (996 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This is the beer that defines two terms for me...high school and vomit. As an adjunct lager, there is really not much to say in terms of nose, taste, and mouthfeel. It is crap beer, but to me, this one is a little crappier than others. That could be the high school experiences I associate with it, but it is what it is. (321 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear straw color, a bit yellow, had a decent whispy white head that dissipated as I poured it and left no lacing. The smell is of corn, grainy, a bit of sulfer. The taste is better, it has a some sweet malt notes to it, not too artficially sweet like other macros. The mouthfeel is watery, nicely carbonated. Another good cooler beer and this doesn't have that ick taste that other macros have which makes it quite drinkable. (435 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -23.7%

It is what it is: a cheap AAL. But for what it is, it ain't too bad. Most recently I got a half case for $7.00. What was I supposed to expect for that price? A trip through Belgium? A tour of a medieval monastic brewery? This is a good beer to drink when hot, tired, and in need of a refreshment. Or a go-to once you've had a couple of high end, high ABV classics and the taste buds are less than stellar. (405 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -23.7%

Tried this on tap... not sure why. Beer was a clear yellow golden color with a one finger bubbly head. Smell is slighlty sweet of malt and corn. Beer is initially bitter but finishes with a malty crisp finish. A light mouthfeel with lots of carbonation. Drinkable like water, very light. (287 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -24%

Appearance - Pale yellow with a good deal of carbonation and a soapy head.

Smell - Smells like my Dove soap. Very processed, not what a beer should smell like.

Taste - Watered down, no taste in particular, but manageable (for a macro) because there's no offending taste.

Drinkability - Below average drinkability. There are better macros out there, but it's drinkable when it comes to macros. (401 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from a 16oz. can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep yellow color with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a decent lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, corn, grain and a touch of hops.

T: The taste doesn’t seem to have much to it and contains mostly grain and corn. It has the usual macro sweetness but it’s very faint. The malt character is thin and there’s very little hops presence.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, it’s all right for an inexpensive beer but there are certainly much better beers out there even within the style. (705 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -24.4%

12oz can in a pilsner glass for the purpose of this review.

A- Ultra-light straw color, very pale and clean. A bright white colored head makes a very brief appearance before fading quickly to a barely there film. No lacing. It looked ok for a second or two.

S- Kinda sweet corn, kinda stale malt. Not much.

T- Taste? There was taste?

M- Plenty of fizzy carbonation. The feel is not good at all, but not as bad as I had expected.

O- I've had this on tap and from cans a few times before this review. I searched for some goodness in it to match up to its publicity. Nothing doing. It's awful. (595 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours a pale yellow color with a white head that quickly recedes to a ring around the glass. Smells of weak malts and alcohol. Taste is very easy going, balanced between a touch of hops and a touch of malt with a little bit of corn thrown in there. It is pretty refreshing and has a clean finish. Has a thin mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Overall, its a fine party beer, but not something I'll choose to drink for taste.

EDIT: Still not sure why this is the official drink of hipsters... (492 characters)

2013 Pabst Blue Ribbon - Reviewed 2/17/2013

Unheard of to the my branch of the hipster nation, this format of PBR (40oz bottle) flows freely in the mythical land of "Richmonde".

Pabst Blue Ribbon, first brewed in 1844, dominated the beer market for almost a century. Its appeal to the blue collar workers of this great nation made it a household name for generations of true Americans. After hitting a slump in the 80's and 90's, the brand was revived by skinny men in tight shorts who date white women with dreadlocks. Today, Blue Ribbon is one of the most recognizable and most accessible names in the cheap beer industry.

Appearance:
When approaching a 40oz bottle of beer, a connoisseur will grade the vessel based of the 3 C's: Color, Connectivity, and Completeness. The classic Blue Ribbon label beautifully adorns the 40. While the color palate may be unimaginative, I can never give the Red, White, and Blue any thing less than a perfect score. Color: 10/10- would 'merica again. The label is well connected to the bottle with the same glue that holds american families together. The left-hand side of the obverse label is a bit ragged with a 1/4 inch separation on the bottom corner. Connectivity: 7.5/10 well adjusted and firm on the right, loose and ragged on the left side. Thanks Obama. This particular 40 is a shining example of a complete label. With just a few tears on the leftern edge, I do believe that this label is quite nearly complete. Completeness: 9/10. The dark brown bottle hides what may lie inside. Does a pale cheap beer reside within, or is it the spirit of irony that drives the hipsters to achieve their goals?

Smell:
The bottle cap releases with a defining "crack," releasing the sweet odors trapped within. A Sweet floral aroma greets the tasteful drinker inviting another whiff. Astringent notes clear the sinuses and prepare you to imbibe. Take a sniff, smells life old stock freedom.

Taste:
PBR's unparalleled flavor is perfectly preambled by its scent. Light and flavorful, notable bittering hops compliment the adjunct malts. Notes of floral hops, cream, roastiness, bread, and just a hint of barnyard cat seductively beckon for closer analysis. This beer is the pinnacle of hipster indulgence, and for good reason.

Mouthfeel:
PBR is light and crisp on the tongue, very similar to a fresh craft brew-- after being digested and peed out by Dennis Hopper on the set of Blue Velvet. Does that sound like an enjoyable evening? You be the judge. PBR is not light enough to be confused for a light beer, but not heavy enough to overpower any meal that you might enjoy with it.

Overall:
All kidding aside, Pabst Blue ribbon is a great american lager. Enjoy with a rib-eye steak with garlic whipped potatoes, or with waffle house hash browns (smothered and covered) and an American Spirit cigarette. Beware, the sound of a PBR cracking summons hipsters from miles around, but will also earn you the respect of any man over 60 who has ever worked in a steel factory. And Clint Eastwoood. So grab yourself a PBR, and don’t look back. You may be listening to vinyl records on your portable turntable at a Starbucks in a few months, but then again, you might just be taking in a part of American history. Enjoy. (3,254 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -24.7%

Time to start hitting into the leftovers from the party we threw last friday. I remember seeing crushed Pabst Blue Ribbon cans at a 17000 foot pass in Tibet. In fact, PBR was definitely the most popular American beer in China (when I was there last summer). Anyways, poured a wispy straw color with a thin, cobweb-y head. Smelled of chex cereal, kinda sweet, with metallic hops. Stronger aromas than expected (not necessarily a good thing). Taste is, not surprisingly, of sweet cereal malts (maybe I should start drinking this for breakfast), fading unspectacularly into a rusty, mildly bitter finish. Not as watery as some macros, and pretty smooth going down, especially good for celebrating the installation of a new transmission on your camaro or 79 ford truck. (765 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

24oz can, date stamped MAY2614 on bottom of can
L - pale golden, fizzy white head
S - yeast, vegetal corn, biscuit, grass
T - grassy, vegetal, lager yeast
F - lighter body, smooth, carbonation fizzles over the tongue, finishes crisp and clean
O - in trying to keep style in mind, I still had a hard time enjoying this one. I wouldn't buy this again; the only reason I bought it was to make a cheesy potato soup that required a light bodied beer... (447 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

near beer at its finest. I mean who doesnt like to slug a few pbrs at the family picnic. this beer reminds me of the old days watching my uncles and pops throw horseshoes and tip em back at the family parties. American beer at its finest. Union Made! (250 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -25%

In comparison to all the folks who now call it their college beer, I'm sure glad that I/We had Genesee and even Utica Club !@!@!

But then again I just had 3 cans with some salty nuts as I browsed the web !! I don't think I'd do that with Bud/Miller/Coors products (264 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -25%

Golden, clear and OK head. No real lace.

Not much smell overall, very light hops, little bit of malt.

Slight hoppiness and that's about it.

Mouthfeel is very light, but OK. Doesn't add anything, but doesn't take much away either.

A classic beer for drunken college parties and nostalgic reunions. Great for shotgunning and beer bonging. Not so good for sipping. (365 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -25.3%

Appearance:light straw color lots of big bubbles in the head...no Brussels lace to speak of

Smell:mildly yeasty....yea that is about it

taste: tastes lighty malty and not too strong flavor and almost impossible to taste hops(call it drinking ipas most of the time)

Mouth feel:super big bubbles and thin as hell...not too smooth(unlike kenny loggins)

drinkablity:I guess I can drink this for a dollar at my local hipster bar...and look at hot chicks...but otherwise...ehhh...give me a good pilsner (500 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -25.3%

I can't be too hard on PBR. For the price, its the best cheap beer out there, and definitely the beer of choice if I just want to get drunk with friends. Definitely outcompetes Nattie Light, Busch Light, and all that other stuff (228 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -25.3%

A- Pours a light yellow straw color with a large white foaming head. Not hat impressive.

S- Grainy with some strong bitterness.

T- Taste is pretty plain, overly watery, and there is a metallic/oily taste at the end. Yuck.

M- Not overly carbonated so this beer scores high here. The fact it is watered down helps the feel in the mouth.

D- Pretty drinkable even though it's a light beer. I can see why this beer is so cheap in large quantities. I wouldn't have more than 1 and that was because when I tried this I just wanted to see what it tasted like, not because I was going to order it all night. (604 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -25.3%

I remember drinking this a while back when i got into my phase of only drinking imported beer i knew nothing about and i thought heineken was the greatest..so anyways i bought this beer and thought wow! what a great american beer! fast forward to me experiencing what stone had to offer and i was hooked on hops! well needless to say my quest for great beer has been getting quite expensive so i decided i would drink on a budget last week so i picked up a 12 pack of pbr..for about the same price i pay for stones black ipa..the pbr tasted like shit! and i cant believe i ever drank..i wanna love it for nostalgias sake and to feel patriotic but it just isnt worth it! (669 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -25.3%

Just a run-of-the-mill lager brew that is a good filler/cleanser between craft brews. Give it a 4 on feel... purely because of the cost/quality affect of having fun with beer. Nothing overpowering in this beer... but clean. Love that it comes in pint cans to wet the whistle after a long day in the yard, at the lake, or coming off the slopes. (343 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -25.3%

Heard about this one quite a bit, and got what I expected.

A-Inside can.
S-Corny kind of metallic.
T-Just about the same as the smell, very easy to drink as a starter. The corny smell and taste is easily adjustable.
M-Thin and easy on the palate. Not harsh or gagging.

D-Very easy, cheap, decent beer. Good chillin brew for you and the buddies.

Not too bad.
I still prefer colt to this. (401 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -25.3%

Good ol' PBR. I drank enough of this as a teen and it still follows me in adulthood.

A: Poured into glass from can. It looked like creamy pee.

S: Has a weird strong scent but mild at the same time.

T: God Awful. I don't even taste it. I just kinda chug it down and hope it stays down.

M:If I let it stay in my mouth I would puke.

D: I only buy this cause its cheap and when I dont have much money and wanna get drunk. If you have a few extra bucks please go somewhere else.

Serving type: can (497 characters)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company