1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,698 | Reviews: 1,466 | Show All Ratings:
winomark

Missouri

Appearance: Very pale straw color. Billowy white head that sticks around.

Aroma: Metallic, from the can. Some hops, nothing else.

Taste: Mild malt and hops, but bot much of either.

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation that overpowers all (if any) other flavors.

Drinkability: A long-lost thirst-quencher from my past. Good to have around for guests who don't care what they are drinking.

10-05-2003 00:36:40 | More by winomark
twelvsies

Maine

So far I've pretty much only been reviewing beers that I thought were exceptional, but tonight I'm paying a little homage to our old friend PBR. Looks like any cheap beer, pale yellow, not much head at all, too many bubbles. Smell doesn't really entice me at all, just reminds me of keggers. The taste actually isn't as bad as most "cheap" beers. Not much flavor at all, pretty much just watery with a touch of maltiness. Mouthfeel is very carbonated, I can actually feel the bubbles popping in my mouth. Well, I don't enjoy it a whole lot but it's pretty easy to drink. Ok, so we all know PBR isn't the best of beers, but it's not the worst at all. I'd say it's the best macro beer out there perhaps. After all, it was "selected as America's best in 1893." Anyway, plenty of more interesting beers out there, we are all aware of this I would hope, but hey, go easy on the little guy. When you're in a pinch for cash and in need of a party, a case of Pabst may come in handy. Cheers.

09-13-2004 02:59:52 | More by twelvsies
cproioi

Pale golden body that crystal clear and constant carbonation rising. It looks like any other American Macro Lager. The smell and taste are nothing to special either. The both are filled with corny adjuncts. The mouthfeel is paper thin and it goes down like water. Not the worse Beer I've had but not the best by a long shot.

08-07-2006 03:02:23 | More by cproioi
germanbeer1

Maine

I respect PBR for trying to do something different, but that in no way excuses the bad taste. Pours a golden body and is extremely carbonated. The taste is overly metallic, but thankfully it is not as watery is many other cheap beers. There is a noticeable increase in taste however when drinking this from a bottle.

11-24-2008 15:07:22 | More by germanbeer1
fullsweep

United Kingdom (England)

Had to try this one when I went to see Southern Culture on the Skids in Dayton, OH. It just seemed like the thing to do. It's not the worth beer I've ever had, but it's not the best either. It's not really even good. Just a watered-down American lager.

12-05-2008 22:21:06 | More by fullsweep
mtstatebeer

West Virginia

12 oz. bottle. Pours a golden-yellow color with a very small, fizzy white head. Aroma is straw and grains. Flavor is corn, straw, and maybe a light touch of hops. Mouthfeel is very light, watery, and a hint of bitterness. Mainly just an altogether bland beer, not offensive, drinkable but not all that good.

06-06-2009 02:12:23 | More by mtstatebeer
boatshoes

So...only really reviewing this because I said to myself that I was going to try to review every beer that I have now that I haven't reviewed before. Not my first time with this but had it on tap last weekend and took some notes...

Appearance- What can I say exactly...this looks like the epitomy of fizzy yellow macro. A pitcher of this only yielded about a half a finger of sodalike head that immediately fizzed out. Some carbonation remained throughout the body however, again similar to soda-pop. Not the worst looking beer I've ever seen, but it sure does look pretty much like I'd envision corn flavored soda.

Smell- Hmm, some words popped into my mind here which are both unflattering and colorful, but I'm going to do my best be both gentleman and scholar in my description. First off, smells faintly of corn and random adjunct. This isn't what really gets me, the part that bothers me is there is another faint smell that I can't shake and can best be described as a touch of egg-fart. Its a somewhat odd sulfurous quality that I just can't seem to get around but that I regardless find a bit unpleasant.

Taste- Run of the mill and disappointing. What little flavors going on in this beer are very watered down. Some corn again, metallic bits, and a very very faint graininess. My buddy, who is quite fond of PBR, refers to this beautiful bouquet as a "treated water" taste. Whatever it is, I find the combination to be rather disappointing.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Thin thin thin. I suppose that the thinness combined with the watered down flavor profile of this beer should make it drinkable. However, I don't find anything in the flavor to keep me interested or make me continue drinking, which doesn't leave me wanting to have another.

Overall, I can't really distinguish why this loved particularly more than any other macro other than the marketing campaign behind it. For me, the current standard for a decent macro lager that is refreshing with some flavor is Schlitz Gusto. I find this one to be far short of that and much in line with all the other macros I've had.

02-04-2010 23:00:18 | More by boatshoes
tewaris

Being in a bar with nothing exciting on tap and "domestics" cheap, I thought I'd finally review the hipster nectar.

Looks clear and light golden in the shaker pint glass with no head retention or lacing whatsoever. There is some sweetness in the smell but that's about it; very characterless smell. Taste is of lightly sweetened, carbonated water with some malty feel in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is watery, with a medium finish. Drinkability score follows from the other categories.

11-02-2010 01:39:58 | More by tewaris
stephadelphia

Had this in a chilled can.

A: From the looks of it, appeared to be a light gold color with some visible air bubbles. Barely had any head.

S: Light, wheaty with a little malt.

T: No bitterness, light taste. I'm not trying to dog on this beer, but its finish reminds me of a gym sock. I don't quite know how else to describe it.

M: Light, watery... nothing special.

D: If you can get past the odd after-taste, you can definitely put these back (and I've seen it done). There's not much that entices me about it, though, and the aftertaste is enough to keep me from wanting more of these unless I'm already... well, drunk. I will never buy it and bring it home for myself, but if it's a special at a bar somewhere, I might entertain the idea of drinking a can.

01-14-2011 03:31:40 | More by stephadelphia
shaunivan

Pours out of a can to an incredibly pale yellowish colour. Plenty of carbonation, nothing mentionable in regards to head nor taste.

Tastes like slightly flavoured, mildly alcoholic water.

Essentially it's an ever so slightly better version of Bud/coors.

03-12-2011 07:03:04 | More by shaunivan
PossumMunsen31

Wisconsin

I like everything about this beer except the way it tastes. Bottle or can appearance is in my top three for all time. Made in Wisconsin, originally, check. My dad drank it at the cabin, also in Wisconsin, when I was growing up. It just doesn't tast that good. I hate to admit it but its true. It is a decent lager if you don't have too many other options.

Nevertheless...PBR me ASAP !

02-10-2012 21:26:58 | More by PossumMunsen31
beershrine

1.98/5  rDev -32.9%

Pabst's flagship beer...harsh with an aftertaste (twindge) like shoe polish. My opinion say's change your receipe!
The PBR thing is kind of retro but It should at least taste smooth.
There lucky lager product is much nicer. You can find it at albertsons I think...and they still have the puzzle caps!
Overall this beer is poor.
Since Pabst has no brewery ! It's made by MIller...

05-29-2004 00:31:04 | More by beershrine
aquatonex

1.98/5  rDev -32.9%

Hmm, is this beer or water? I wonder...

Pours like seltzer, with the slightest tinge of pee. Smells like seltzer, with the slightest tinge of pee as well. Taste is rather nonexistent. It is impressively smooth, no skunk from this macro. But, the smoothness is so easy to create if there is no TASTE. However, I could down probably 2x the number of these than any other beer. Overall, I'd pick this over all the other macros if I'm playing beer pong.

10-12-2004 01:27:53 | More by aquatonex
bort11

Missouri

1.98/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. White head that stands about a fingers width and quickly recedes to a foamy cap. Color is a clear pale yellow with lots of active carbonation.
Smell is a sweet cereal base with a slight lemony note. Taste is also a weak lemony flavor. A little bit of pepper in the finish.
Mouthfeel is light yet slightly oily.
I cold never figure out why PBR is so hot with the hipster crowd. The only reason I got this was the store was out of Hamms, and I wanted to put something in the can holder in the door of my beer fridge for Memorial Day weekend

05-27-2007 04:46:53 | More by bort11
Whiteweasel

1.98/5  rDev -32.9%

Poured from a can into a seidel.

Appearance: Looks like piss. Yuck. Nothing too appetizing about this beer. Head looks like dish soap foam.

Smell: Very corn-y and perhaps a little bitter as well. Not that deep

Taste: Tastes like I just put corn into a blender added a little bit of bitterness from the hops. If you swish it around a little, you can vaguely taste some decent hops. Not very good

Mouthfeel: Nice and crisp. Refreshing. But not too special.

Drinkability: Better than some absolutely horrible offerings, but not quite as easy to drink for binge drinking purposes as some cheaper shittier stuff. Pretty easy to drink i guess, and cheap. But tastes pretty bad. Wouldn't get it again.

12-18-2009 04:01:46 | More by Whiteweasel
SDHoffers

1.98/5  rDev -32.9%

Why did I drink this...because I was thirsty. There really was no other reason except that I just didn't want to have tap water. In it's credit, it really is better than the huge macro light beers. Not a bad quencher for a hot summer day while doing yard work though. Taste and smell were almost non-existent. Mouthfeel was like soda water with a little beer flavoring. I really hate to beer bash because someone probably put their heart and soul into brewing this so I'm not going to say I hate it but it is difficult. I have noticed a recent trend for this beer lately so I put it on tap for Oktoberfest. I never heard the end of that one. Needless to say, it won't make another appearance. If you like the F.Y.B. style then hey, knock yourself out.

02-12-2010 16:49:48 | More by SDHoffers
BGP

Oregon

1.95/5  rDev -33.9%

American-style lagers from macro-breweries are, by and large, as weak in terms of substance as they are dreadful to the taste. PBR, the hipster's choice, is no exception to the rule. When considered under the most positive of circumstances, PBR is a cheap beer which can be forced down with greater ease than the major of its direct competitors; however, at the end of the day, there's really nothing to appreciate about this beer.

Resembles: given the color of the beer, and the beer's extremely poor head retention... urine, I'm afraid (★)

Smells like: a bag full of week-old beer cans (★★)

Tastes like: one part "last dregs of a real lager," nine parts "water" (★★)

Overall drinkability: I have to file this one under "almost bearable," aka "once I have a pitcher in my system, I'll be used to the taste" (★★)

01-31-2010 23:35:17 | More by BGP
ValpoExpo

1.91/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Whenever I go to a concert, this is the beer I drink. I'm always excited to give PBR one more chance as my favorite cheap beer, but it never impresses me. PBR is an extremely heavy beer and would not even consider it a session beer. I'd still rather drink Coors or RR for hours on end.

06-13-2013 21:14:44 | More by ValpoExpo
macpapi

Maryland

1.9/5  rDev -35.6%

Alright, so I was out with friends and P.B.R. was on special (allegedly, it turned out it wasn't and my friend got screwed). So someone bought a bottle for me, and I decided to use the opportunity to review this 'fine American' Macro. Wasn't surprised in any way.

Pours a clear color, with a tinge of yellow. Is this water in a brown bottle with a red, white and blue label??

Smells like corn and little else. Boring.

Tastes watery, with a bit of corn presence. A bit bitter, somewhat different from what I expected. Not enough to make it very good though.

In the mouth, it does have a bit of a presence. Not as light as I thought it might be. Again some bitterness with a slight kick.

Overall, what can I say? It's a macro and cheap and not very good. One could probably easily chug a whole bunch of these. There would be no true beer appreciation, though. Next time someone offers, I'll pass.

02-06-2006 21:45:25 | More by macpapi
YonderWanderer

Colorado

1.9/5  rDev -35.6%

PBR will get you drunk. And it's a better option than some of the other macros.

It's a pale straw yellow with visible fizz. Smell is the typical macro lager smell, some weak grains, corn, a tiny touch of hops, and not much else. Taste is just the same. Weak grains, lots of what I'm sure are adjuncts, and corn.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Drinkability? I'll reiterate. This will get you drunk. It's your standard American Macro Lager, and it just doesn't taste very good.

01-06-2008 14:53:51 | More by YonderWanderer
aficionado224

1.9/5  rDev -35.6%

To say this beer is uninspired is to put it mildly. It has so many off flavors and peculiar aftertastes, it's a wonder how they manage that in such a watery brew. There is nothing to recommend Pabst Blue Ribbon for any reason. I wouldn't buy it for myself, and I wouldn't offer it to anyone else.

01-19-2011 16:02:02 | More by aficionado224
thydarkprevails

1.9/5  rDev -35.6%

On tap in a pint at a dive bar, oh yeah. Pours a clear blonde with a small white head that quickly disappears. Aroma is corn and bread. Taste is exactly the same. Thin mouthfeel and sour aftertaste It sucks but still better than bud and miller crap..

06-03-2012 22:30:47 | More by thydarkprevails
GilGarp

Colorado

1.88/5  rDev -36.3%

Picked up a 24oz. can to do some brats and thought I might as well review some.

It should be noted this is from a grocery store in Colorado so it is legally not to exceed 3.2% alcohol by weight. Strange law in these parts...

Pours into a pint glass with lots of white head. The color is almost white as well. The palest yellow beer I've ever seen that wasn't labeled 'light' or Lite. Perfect clarity.

Aroma is sweet and grainy in a corn and rice kind of way. Smells almost stale even though the can is fresh.

Taste is an instant throw-back to college when we drank whatever was available and/or cheapest. Thin, light, almost tasteless. Slightly sweet and citrusy but even those qualities are barely there.

Mouthfeel is very thin. As we used to say, like having sex in a canoe...

Drinkability would be ok if I was still in college but I've moved on and this one doesn't cut it.

01-22-2009 00:16:58 | More by GilGarp
Lauthaha

1.88/5  rDev -36.3%

Poured from a 24 ounce can into a 16.9 ounce beer glass.

Appearance: Whoops! Heavy pour results in MASSIVELY foamy head (four or five iinches...yikes) which actually settles into a decent two-finger head after a moment. User error there. Beer is a pale golden color with abundant carbonation which eases off after a few moments. Looks filtered, not murky at all. The receding head leaves a light trace of foam around the inside of the glass. All things considered, it looks like an adjunct lager should.

Smell: Ouch...heavy corn alcohol invades my nostrils. Absolutely no trace of anything else in my opinion. Rotting corn.

Taste: Cold, saltless urine. That's about the best I can do. Vinegar and grain battle in futility over who will have the strongest taste. In the end, there isn't much of an aftertaste, which is the best thing I can say about the taste. Even for what it is, this is poor.

Mouthfeel: Very oily...not something I would expect from a beer. Unpleasantly slimy, leaves a film after imbibed.

Drinkability: Low. Not recommendable. If it were literally ICE cold and it was being chugged, it might be a "do-able" beer. As it stands, I don't know if I can finish the tallboy.

It's cheap; a local bar sells this beer for $1 per 32-ounce pitcher. That is the only reason I could ever see myself drinking this beer again.

08-17-2010 02:05:59 | More by Lauthaha
Derranged

Had this a few times.

A- Straw pale yellow

S- A little like vomit, and something else I cant describe.

T- Metallic, bitter, sour, pretty much the same as Budweiser, only the flavor is stronger. It left a sour film on my gums.

M- thin and very carbonated

D- I did manage to drink 10 of these one night. I was on a budget, and I was stuck with this, until we got to the bar. Never again.

No offense to anyone who likes it, but this beer is just nauseating, worse than Budweiser. Overrated for sure, I just can't understand how so many people on this rate it as high as they do. Oh well, its not the end of the world.

10-16-2010 17:27:31 | More by Derranged