Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,619 | Hads: 5,133
2.45/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a pint glass but I felt like I should be drinking it straight from the bottle, that's what's appropriate for the style right? The body was a clear, light yellow. The fizzy white head evaporated quickly, leaving a ring of foam around the top. There were active random bubbles rising throughout the drink.

Smell was mildly vegetal. Ever so slightly chemical. Not really much smell at all.

Taste was not really of malts nor of hops. Lightly organic, but more texture than flavor. It was quenching with a light, muted bitterness in the quick finish.

Mouthfeel was thin to medium in body with high carbonation. Appropriate to style and non-offensive.

2.45/5  rDev -18.6%

This is yet another kegger beer. Perfect for getting hammered and little else. A beer pong staple. Goes good with pizza too. It is good for a really cheap beer. I have to give it that. For what it is I guess I can't complain. It tops the light beers but still is far from good in my book.

2.45/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Compared to the BMC family, I would buy this over any of them if I was looking for a session beer. Actually has some taste and body to it, but not much.

2.44/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

4/16/15 (Can) - Light pour, no carbonation, head or aroma. Very thin texture and minimal taste. Smooth going down. Not very good, even at low price point.

Ok listen.

I know that when you pour this beer into a glass the head foams up and disappears before you can set the can down. And I know that it leaves a fruity, skunky aftertaste in your mouth. And when you look at the color of it you think of some crap beer like budweiser watered down by half.

When you are in college and you go to the grocery store and see a 24-pack for $11 with a $4 mail in rebate, what do you want from them?

You have to remember that this a beer coming from the makers of Colt 45, Big Bear, Stroh's, Silver Thunder Old Milwaukee, and Schmidt's.

We had a saying when I was in college. "$4 rebate? You can't afford not to drink it."

look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

"Heineken! F**k that sh*t! Pabst! Blue! Ribbon!"

Yeah, I sometimes like to drink the beer of Frank Booth. It's nice to see that it's gaining in popularity again. It's cheap. It's not good beer. In fact, it is really bad beer. But it's cheap. And there's a pop culture cult thing going on with it, hence the Blue Velvet reference. You get about halfway through the can and it starts to change. Suddenly it's not half bad! I really kinda like this stuff! And a friend nearby says, "That's because your taste buds are desensitized. Keep drinking, buddy."

And I do.

2.44/5  rDev -18.9%

The choice beer of my roommate's surprise birthday party, not my choice

The appearance is clear with slight yellow tint. Head is substantial and white but dissipates pretty quickly

Aroma is grainy with adjuncts all over the nose.

The flavor is malty and corny with no real detectable hops. Not impressive but the adjuncts in this one are not really offensive, it was actually surprising.

The fact that its not overwhelmingly corny/ricey *which is what I expected* makes the drinkability slightly above average.

2.44/5  rDev -18.9%

I was actually surprised at how much I disliked this beer. I tasted it in a blind taste test and it was in the bottom three of the 6 we tasted. Decent stereotypical beer smell, but the appearance looked peculiar. The foam was splotchy and not uniform, the taste was funky. I almost think it was merely a bad bottle or just really old. May have to try it again sometime, but for now not very good.

2.44/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Look and nose are that of most other common adjunct lagers out there. That all-too-known piss gold with a very light grain scent. One thing Pabst has going for it, although this beer still being quite watery and lacking any real body and bite, is the fact that the grain and corn are picked up a little more here, making it a little more tolerable than the other mass-market adjunct lagers out there but at an even more reasonable price.

2.43/5  rDev -19.3%

Appearance: Crystal clear straw yellow, it pours with vigorous foaming which dies down to absolutely nothing in about half a minute. No lacing whatsoever.

Smell: Faint (very faint) whiff of grains and frat-house memories.

Taste: Slight hops bitterness, but with none of that troublesome flavor. A metallic edge to it.

Mouthfeel: Very high carbonation, with a light body. Crisp finish.

Overall: If you like to pound them down, this beer is for you. Not for me, however. Too carbonated, not enough complexity or hops. I can see appreciating this beer more at a cookout.

2.43/5  rDev -19.3%

A - Deep straw yellow with a two finger white head that dissipates into nothing in seconds. Some light bubbling is visible.

S - Slight grass, cooked squash, corn and a stale grain odor (likely rice).

T - Initially a strong rice malt with notes of sweet corn. Nothing too offensive, but definitely nothing good.

M - Thin, carbonation way too high, yet refreshing.

D - Mild flavor, easy to drink. Absurdly easy to session. I would pick other beers over PBR for food choices though.

2.42/5  rDev -19.6%

This was a lager which I wouldn't really enjoy drinking, but on the other hand I wouldn't detest drinking. The smell is neutral an inoffensive. The taste is sweet and malty with strong hints of corn syrup and a touch of earthy hops (probably the only macro lager with hops flavors that I can detect). The mouthfeel is overly too carbonated and sweet. I found myself unable to down larger gulps of this one as it was powerful in my throat and this is not a good thing. I might take PBR over Busch, but certainly not over a decent micro brew.

2.42/5  rDev -19.6%

This is a cheap-o beer that I drink when I want a beer but want to save money. You can get them for 1 dollar at a bar that I go to.

Its not a great teasting, smelling, looking, or feeling beer, but once you get a to your 3rd one you can drink about 50. This is the perfect cheap get hammered, tailgaiting beer.

2.42/5  rDev -19.6%

Apperance: Clear, golden yellow. White as snow head with very minima retention and very mild lacing.

Nose: Grassy, sweet malt. A bit of sulphur or rotten eggs.

Taste: Very slight taint of copper in the front. Mild and settled alcohol at the end. Yellow corn, but not sweet for the aftertaste. Crisp and refreshing carbonation, but does not assault the palate.

Notes: As far as the fizzy little yellow beers are concerned, this one takes home a prize for having a bit of taste. No bold or fun characteristics, but it has something. There is a bit of something there, and I will honor them for that.

2.4/5  rDev -20.3%

I have to say that if there is nothing else available, this will fit the bill. Or possibly out of a can next to the pool. But this is barely better than the usual adjunct lagers from Coors, Miller, and Bud. The appearance is average with a quickly vanishing head and artificial looking carbonation. Not much aroma, pretty dull. Taste is simple and straightforward. Not much going on here either. Simple yet quaffable and refreshing. Pretty average.

2.4/5  rDev -20.3%

A clear light straw colored brew, a low white head with no lacing and small curtains.

Smelling of corn flakes and boiled maize.

Sweet white bread, maize and a dash of lemon.

Little carbonation, fresh and a small body, slightly dry.

A rather run-of-the-mill American lager.

2.4/5  rDev -20.3%

This was a leftover from a game of Texas Hold 'Em. What the heck?

Poured from a can into a pint glass, a clear, light yellow with a huge head that drops to about a finger, with big, loose bubbles and lots o' fizz. The most see-through beer I've reviewed so far.

Smell is a mix of sweet grains & basement, the kind of dank smell I remember beer smelling like when I was a kid. A little hoppy, a little grassy, mostly like sweet corn.

Tastes better than it smells, but that's not saying much: like corn flakes with a lot of sugar & a crisp snap from whatever hops are in here. And a slight vegetable taste, hmmm.

Mouthfeel is actually not terrible, some bite and tingle, but sort of watery otherwise. Aftertaste is like cheap bubblegum, eh. Goes down fast & easy, but every evening I've spent drinking PBR leaves me feeling like I've sucked on change.

In conclusion, it is what it is. For a totally utilitarian beer, you could do worse, & I'll have it as a last resort. But is that really the point?

2.4/5  rDev -20.3%

A: Clear, light golden with a thin white head that forms an dissipates quickly. Active bubbles abound

S: Light cooked grains and a trace of malt sweetness.

T: Corn, malt, and almost no hops.

M: Thin, watery, medium carbonation.

O: This is not a beer I would choose to drink. However, it is better that Bud, MGD, "Beast" and Miller.

2.4/5  rDev -20.3%

Nothing much to say about this brew. A very standard beer. Light flavor and light color. Not much of a head to speak of either. Being cheap is probably the best quality of this beer. If you're looking for quality, look elsewhere. Not bad for parties though.

2.39/5  rDev -20.6%

I hate this beer, hands down! It did make Milwaukee brew city though, which is why I'm reviewing it. This beer deserves credit for its historical stature, and that's it. Taste wise, this light, watered down, canned, elderly brew has lost it over the years and is now only acceptable to MKE natives, college kids, and homeless people. No go! 1.6/5

How Many?: pshhh, I recommend none and have something good, but this a drink all night around a fire beer, don't try to impress a lady by buying her this, unless you're in the boondocks.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My fathers beer. Better than Bud and has a great look in your hand. Had my first one probably 45 years ago.

Smell-very little.

Taste-hits the spot on a hot day. Crisp, clean, bubbly. Thats about it.

Mouthfeel-not bad

Drinkability-I have to have one every once in awhile , especially during a Red Sox game while eating peanuts. Not cashews, peanuts. Or State Line potato chips. Then it works. It more of a ceremonial beer than a regular drinker.

2.38/5  rDev -20.9%

Drank this from a 12 oz. can, poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear, pale yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates almost immediately. Can barely smell anything. Taste begins alright, centers around the malt, but then it drops out altogether. No aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a tad fizzy, but not much else. Easily drinkable, not altogether bad, but there's just nothing much to it.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Either I can approach this beer knowing it's a dreaded American Adjunct with little to no flavor, bright carbonation and piss like appearance, and then rate it in comparison to the other Adjuncts or I could approach it as a true craft beer drinker and treat this like I would any other brewery that claims to craft its beers. Hmm.

A - Much like Bud, Miller, Coors PBR is super light and gives you a glimpse at what your palate is about to experience. PBR is a little darker...hinting that there might be at least a little more flavor to come. Still awfully light looking. A little like vitaminized urine.

S - I'm getting stale grains...slight tart yet faint aroma of the hops. It smells like bad breath, but that - since I expect this - is not too big of a deal. Am I really saying that?

T - The taste it bright with carbonation. Sweet with those stale grains and hops finding their way in my palate. You could definitely down 4 or 5 of these and press on with vigor as if you hadn't drank a single one. Not much if any alcohol taste. There is more taste than the Big Three, so if PBR was offered among the other adjuncts at a gathering, PBR would be my choice. But that is not saying much.

O - On a rating scale from 0-100 and considering PBR's competition I give it an 81. In comparison to other beers I've had and the overall taste of this beer as it stands on its own I give it a 65.

If I want a cheap beer that has a little bit of flavor (rare this is ever my desire) and there is nothing else except the big three, I would choose PBR. If this was the only beer available to me, I would be very sad, but I would drink it.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this straight from a tall boy can. Somebody else at the bar section was pouring it in clear plastic cups so from what I could tell this beer had the typical adjunct lager clear yellow body with a bit more composition that others in its style. Smell was a bit mute probably because I was trying to take notes straight from the can. Grains and corns are predominant as expected although this beer does a better job than others in its style.
Overall, I guess it's a decent lager that's clean and refreshing.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I must admit, I really wanted to dislike this beer going in, but it wasn't that bad. As a matter of fact, it was decent. Pours out to a bright golden color with a fluffly white head. Smell is somewhat funky, almost chemical, but the actual taste has some hints of caramel and a very slight hop bitterness. Seeing as Pabst brews this and Schlitz, I can see why they taste similar. I could swear they were the same beer, with very subtle differences. Am American classic? That might be stretching it. Drinkable? Yes. And no different than most American Standard lagers. Rock on PBR...

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company