Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Avg: 3
pDev: 44%
Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,607 | Hads: 5,083
2.43/5  rDev -19%

Appearance: Crystal clear straw yellow, it pours with vigorous foaming which dies down to absolutely nothing in about half a minute. No lacing whatsoever.

Smell: Faint (very faint) whiff of grains and frat-house memories.

Taste: Slight hops bitterness, but with none of that troublesome flavor. A metallic edge to it.

Mouthfeel: Very high carbonation, with a light body. Crisp finish.

Overall: If you like to pound them down, this beer is for you. Not for me, however. Too carbonated, not enough complexity or hops. I can see appreciating this beer more at a cookout.

2.43/5  rDev -19%

A - Deep straw yellow with a two finger white head that dissipates into nothing in seconds. Some light bubbling is visible.

S - Slight grass, cooked squash, corn and a stale grain odor (likely rice).

T - Initially a strong rice malt with notes of sweet corn. Nothing too offensive, but definitely nothing good.

M - Thin, carbonation way too high, yet refreshing.

D - Mild flavor, easy to drink. Absurdly easy to session. I would pick other beers over PBR for food choices though.

2.42/5  rDev -19.3%

This was a lager which I wouldn't really enjoy drinking, but on the other hand I wouldn't detest drinking. The smell is neutral an inoffensive. The taste is sweet and malty with strong hints of corn syrup and a touch of earthy hops (probably the only macro lager with hops flavors that I can detect). The mouthfeel is overly too carbonated and sweet. I found myself unable to down larger gulps of this one as it was powerful in my throat and this is not a good thing. I might take PBR over Busch, but certainly not over a decent micro brew.

2.42/5  rDev -19.3%

This is a cheap-o beer that I drink when I want a beer but want to save money. You can get them for 1 dollar at a bar that I go to.

Its not a great teasting, smelling, looking, or feeling beer, but once you get a to your 3rd one you can drink about 50. This is the perfect cheap get hammered, tailgaiting beer.

2.42/5  rDev -19.3%

Apperance: Clear, golden yellow. White as snow head with very minima retention and very mild lacing.

Nose: Grassy, sweet malt. A bit of sulphur or rotten eggs.

Taste: Very slight taint of copper in the front. Mild and settled alcohol at the end. Yellow corn, but not sweet for the aftertaste. Crisp and refreshing carbonation, but does not assault the palate.

Notes: As far as the fizzy little yellow beers are concerned, this one takes home a prize for having a bit of taste. No bold or fun characteristics, but it has something. There is a bit of something there, and I will honor them for that.

2.4/5  rDev -20%

I have to say that if there is nothing else available, this will fit the bill. Or possibly out of a can next to the pool. But this is barely better than the usual adjunct lagers from Coors, Miller, and Bud. The appearance is average with a quickly vanishing head and artificial looking carbonation. Not much aroma, pretty dull. Taste is simple and straightforward. Not much going on here either. Simple yet quaffable and refreshing. Pretty average.

2.4/5  rDev -20%

A clear light straw colored brew, a low white head with no lacing and small curtains.

Smelling of corn flakes and boiled maize.

Sweet white bread, maize and a dash of lemon.

Little carbonation, fresh and a small body, slightly dry.

A rather run-of-the-mill American lager.

2.4/5  rDev -20%

This was a leftover from a game of Texas Hold 'Em. What the heck?

Poured from a can into a pint glass, a clear, light yellow with a huge head that drops to about a finger, with big, loose bubbles and lots o' fizz. The most see-through beer I've reviewed so far.

Smell is a mix of sweet grains & basement, the kind of dank smell I remember beer smelling like when I was a kid. A little hoppy, a little grassy, mostly like sweet corn.

Tastes better than it smells, but that's not saying much: like corn flakes with a lot of sugar & a crisp snap from whatever hops are in here. And a slight vegetable taste, hmmm.

Mouthfeel is actually not terrible, some bite and tingle, but sort of watery otherwise. Aftertaste is like cheap bubblegum, eh. Goes down fast & easy, but every evening I've spent drinking PBR leaves me feeling like I've sucked on change.

In conclusion, it is what it is. For a totally utilitarian beer, you could do worse, & I'll have it as a last resort. But is that really the point?

2.4/5  rDev -20%

A: Clear, light golden with a thin white head that forms an dissipates quickly. Active bubbles abound

S: Light cooked grains and a trace of malt sweetness.

T: Corn, malt, and almost no hops.

M: Thin, watery, medium carbonation.

O: This is not a beer I would choose to drink. However, it is better that Bud, MGD, "Beast" and Miller.

2.4/5  rDev -20%

Nothing much to say about this brew. A very standard beer. Light flavor and light color. Not much of a head to speak of either. Being cheap is probably the best quality of this beer. If you're looking for quality, look elsewhere. Not bad for parties though.

2.39/5  rDev -20.3%

I hate this beer, hands down! It did make Milwaukee brew city though, which is why I'm reviewing it. This beer deserves credit for its historical stature, and that's it. Taste wise, this light, watered down, canned, elderly brew has lost it over the years and is now only acceptable to MKE natives, college kids, and homeless people. No go! 1.6/5

How Many?: pshhh, I recommend none and have something good, but this a drink all night around a fire beer, don't try to impress a lady by buying her this, unless you're in the boondocks.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My fathers beer. Better than Bud and has a great look in your hand. Had my first one probably 45 years ago.

Smell-very little.

Taste-hits the spot on a hot day. Crisp, clean, bubbly. Thats about it.

Mouthfeel-not bad

Drinkability-I have to have one every once in awhile , especially during a Red Sox game while eating peanuts. Not cashews, peanuts. Or State Line potato chips. Then it works. It more of a ceremonial beer than a regular drinker.

2.38/5  rDev -20.7%

Drank this from a 12 oz. can, poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear, pale yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates almost immediately. Can barely smell anything. Taste begins alright, centers around the malt, but then it drops out altogether. No aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a tad fizzy, but not much else. Easily drinkable, not altogether bad, but there's just nothing much to it.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Either I can approach this beer knowing it's a dreaded American Adjunct with little to no flavor, bright carbonation and piss like appearance, and then rate it in comparison to the other Adjuncts or I could approach it as a true craft beer drinker and treat this like I would any other brewery that claims to craft its beers. Hmm.

A - Much like Bud, Miller, Coors PBR is super light and gives you a glimpse at what your palate is about to experience. PBR is a little darker...hinting that there might be at least a little more flavor to come. Still awfully light looking. A little like vitaminized urine.

S - I'm getting stale grains...slight tart yet faint aroma of the hops. It smells like bad breath, but that - since I expect this - is not too big of a deal. Am I really saying that?

T - The taste it bright with carbonation. Sweet with those stale grains and hops finding their way in my palate. You could definitely down 4 or 5 of these and press on with vigor as if you hadn't drank a single one. Not much if any alcohol taste. There is more taste than the Big Three, so if PBR was offered among the other adjuncts at a gathering, PBR would be my choice. But that is not saying much.

O - On a rating scale from 0-100 and considering PBR's competition I give it an 81. In comparison to other beers I've had and the overall taste of this beer as it stands on its own I give it a 65.

If I want a cheap beer that has a little bit of flavor (rare this is ever my desire) and there is nothing else except the big three, I would choose PBR. If this was the only beer available to me, I would be very sad, but I would drink it.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this straight from a tall boy can. Somebody else at the bar section was pouring it in clear plastic cups so from what I could tell this beer had the typical adjunct lager clear yellow body with a bit more composition that others in its style. Smell was a bit mute probably because I was trying to take notes straight from the can. Grains and corns are predominant as expected although this beer does a better job than others in its style.
Overall, I guess it's a decent lager that's clean and refreshing.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I must admit, I really wanted to dislike this beer going in, but it wasn't that bad. As a matter of fact, it was decent. Pours out to a bright golden color with a fluffly white head. Smell is somewhat funky, almost chemical, but the actual taste has some hints of caramel and a very slight hop bitterness. Seeing as Pabst brews this and Schlitz, I can see why they taste similar. I could swear they were the same beer, with very subtle differences. Am American classic? That might be stretching it. Drinkable? Yes. And no different than most American Standard lagers. Rock on PBR...

2.38/5  rDev -20.7%

Beer pours a pale straw yellow, you know, you've seen it a thousand times. Then again, most macro beer drinkers drink from a bottle or a can, so, maybe you haven't. Ok, pours the color of a mid-afternoon pee, if you actually had to pee, and weren't necessarily dehydrated. Minor foam at the top, wouldn't call it a head. Actually smells a bit alcoholic in the nose, for second it almost smelled faintly of Jim Beam, but couldn't be, or was it from all the corn adjuncts? Let's put it this way, doesn't smell like much of anything, but what it does smell like, isn't necessarily great, more like stale grains if anything. The taste is mildly bitter from the sodium of the carbonation of the beer, in a club soda sort of way, not really like beer. I wouldn't ever call it awful cause it is far from offensive, just, not there. I would dare to say Budweiser is actually a notch above this, cause at least I can taste some green snap from a fresh Bud, from the hop profile, that cleans the tongue whereas this just does nothing! However, in all of its marginality, it is a good compromise between the overly stale breadiness of a MGD, and the annoying green apple snap of a Bud, it does neither. It's kinda like a dull friend who is willing to join ya! My beer does have some sort of date code, I've been seeing around town, NOV 10. So, I *guess* it is fresh, but I would never know. Mouthfeel is thin and watery of course, yet the drinkability is there. Hey, at $1.40 a 24 ounce can, you could make worse choices. But at least I didn't pay $3.50 for a skunked import that has been pasteurized. As the late great Dennis Hopper once said, "Heineken!? F*ck that sh*t! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" :-)

2.38/5  rDev -20.7%

A - bright yellow, big head that disappears quickly.

S - too much corn not enough barley and almost zero hops.

T - Very weak watered down lager taste, big corn and grain taste, rather sweet, typical of BMC style beers.

M - If I wanted to pound a 6 pack or case, this would be decent choice, low carbonation, basically flavored corn water.

D - I would NEVER buy this again, there are way too many good lighter craft beers to bother with this college beer.

2.38/5  rDev -20.7%

Appearance is of light golden color and crisp head. Smell has a corny adjunct graininess to it. Taste of crisp lightly metallic adjunct with a clean dry finish. Mouthfeel is light having good body and carbonation. Not one of the smoothest lagers I've had, but not bad.

2.36/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours a crystal clear, pale yellow with a white, finger width head. Retention is poor and produces a thin, semi-sticky lacing.

Smell - Ahh, the sweet smell of american lager. Sweet grainy malts and a grassy hop.

Taste - Tastes of corn and barley. Sweet, with only faint notes of grassy hop to give it a touch of balance. Finishes somewhat dry.

Mouthfeel - Light in body, with an expected lifeless, fizzy carbonation.

Overall - I don't understand the revival this beer has had, especially amongst the hipster crowd. It's no better or different than any other dirt cheap american lager. In fact I taste no difference between this and Natural Light.... just another reason to hate the hipster movement.

24 oz. can.

Into my pimp-cup this 'classic' goes. I'm currently running dry on funds at the end of the semester so i'll have to settle. This comes with decent recommendations here at BA.

This pours out a macro piss-yellow with an impressive head. Lacing on a macro! OMG! The lacing is in fact quite intricate and looks like a stamp left from a bunch of golf balls. Not bad at all!

The smell isn't too bad either, somewhere in between real beer and mass produced swill. I get a light twinge of metallic hops on the nose as well as a little bit of sweet malt. More than anything is the adjuncty metallic smell again. Again, impressive for its status.

The taste is rather unobtrusive. The first rush is all macro crap, but then your tastebuds are relieved to taste something somewhat "Beery". There's a nice hit of maltiness on the end as well as a slight prick of hops. The aftertaste is a little robotic and unpleasant, but altogether this is one better than mediocre macro! There is no mouthfeel to speak of: were talking about wetter than water here.

Drinkability is decent. You could probably wolf down a whole bunch, but would that really gain you anything? I wish I had an idea of ABV.

Really not too bad at all. This is one I would've avoided were it not for the forgiving BA crowd. If I had to dumb down my beer choices due to budget, this is most likely what i'd reach for.

2.36/5  rDev -21.3%

Ummm.... Thanks to beerman207 for sharing this with me. Something that I haven't drank since my college days and while it brought back a lot of fun memories, it was definitely not the most quality beer drinking experience I've ever had.

Appearance: Color was very pale light yellow and reminded me of something... What could it be? It attempted to sustain a head but there wasn't much chance of that. Moderate carbonation is present and an oily residue kind of hangs around on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Mmmm... Is that skunk I smell? Yep. I think I smell corn too... sigh...

Taste: Yep, I would say corn.

Mouthfeel: Pretty lively actually. Carbonation is very present and this might be the best part about the beer.

Drinkability: In reality, while I may have had a rough bottle, and it there's truly nothing that strikes me as remotely remarkable about it, it would be easy to drink quite a few of these in a session because it is so light and easy (take that for what it is) to drink.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This is the beer that defines two terms for me...high school and vomit. As an adjunct lager, there is really not much to say in terms of nose, taste, and mouthfeel. It is crap beer, but to me, this one is a little crappier than others. That could be the high school experiences I associate with it, but it is what it is.

2.35/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear straw color, a bit yellow, had a decent whispy white head that dissipated as I poured it and left no lacing. The smell is of corn, grainy, a bit of sulfer. The taste is better, it has a some sweet malt notes to it, not too artficially sweet like other macros. The mouthfeel is watery, nicely carbonated. Another good cooler beer and this doesn't have that ick taste that other macros have which makes it quite drinkable.

2.35/5  rDev -21.7%

It is what it is: a cheap AAL. But for what it is, it ain't too bad. Most recently I got a half case for $7.00. What was I supposed to expect for that price? A trip through Belgium? A tour of a medieval monastic brewery? This is a good beer to drink when hot, tired, and in need of a refreshment. Or a go-to once you've had a couple of high end, high ABV classics and the taste buds are less than stellar.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company