Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,599 | Hads: 5,045
4.7/5  rDev +52.6%

It's been over 30 years since I last drank a PBR.
Earlier this year I went to a get together for a person who was retiring and the pub had a PBR sign. I didn't know PBR was still being brewed! I asked for one and have been hooked ever since.
For the price this one of the best beers I have ever tried. I read it is brewed by Miller under contract. All I know is I have found my beer.

Appearance - Golden hue
Smell - Wonderful
Taste - Exceptional. Not too hoppy, which I like.
Drinkability - Goes down smooth (512 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +51.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look you have to put everything in perspective. Obviously this is not the high quality handcrafted beer you would expect from this rating, however when compared to all in it's class this is far superior.

I find the best way to enjoy this beer is can poured into a glass. The appearance is a little nicer than most American style Lagers. Smell is a little grassy but it's not bad at all it's really kind of pleasant and refreshing scent not as skunky as most in it's class. The taste is very surprising with it being very crisp. You can pick up some grain but not overpowering. Very drinkable and no horrible after taste...the mouth feel is better than typical without the carbonation ruining your taste buds for the duration of the session. I think it's the best in it's class, definitely very drinkable, I liked it! (818 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +49.4%

pours a pale golden color with thin head,smells of grain and corn.

the taste is well balanced for an adjunt lager,very good in taste and mouthfeel,its a nice refreshing beer thats easyto drink.

if you are looking for a beer that taste the same day in and day out pabst is that beer. (288 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +48.4%

what can be said best abot this beer its the "KING" of Macro Beers.

What can I say this is a nice hot day summer beer. PBR was a shocker to me when I first tasted the smoth clean taste. Mush betther then a high life or a budweiser.

A- golden yellow with a thin head

S- Not much smell just a little hint of hops

T- Taste is smooth no bitterness with a just a hint of hops at the end.

M- crisp a clean

D- This is an all day football drinking beer or a good party beer.

I have on a PABST kick no for several weeks and its hard to get off of it. I must say for having more the 50 different selection to choose from I go for a PABST first. (643 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +46.1%

this is a great beer. Classic American brew. People would laugh when I would buy this, but when when they tasted it they quit laughing lol. Ive only had this in cans. For some reason her in my lil corner of Texas they do not sell it in bottles. Hell, sometimes I'm lucky if I can find it at all. For a while I had to go to San Antonio to find it. Even there it was only in cans...ugh. Such a great beer should be on every shelf just as Bud and Bud Light. (454 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +46.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I rate this beer alittle better then Bud, Miller and Coors and price is better then them too.

Apperance: yellow. It looks like beer

Smell : smell like grain, like beer should smell like.

Taste: I was surprised how good this beer tasted. It tasted like malt and corn and some mild at the end. It has character !

Mouthfeel: Strongly carbonated with a thin body. It just like americcan lager beer

This beer was real nasty as kid but it taste pretty good now. Maybe I drank it warm or they changed the formula. I would drank some more in the future and price is better then the BMC. Good beer! (597 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +46.1%

I decided to reacquaint myself with this beer after discovering this wonderful website. The American Adjunct Lager category is the most popular in the US and this beer, after tasting side by side to the most popular- Bud, Miller and the always stale Coors, stands the tallest. It is thirst quenching. I am sure that the high water content has something to do with it but who cares, I mean how many beers even pass this important threshold? Notes:

A: pale, golden, clear, bright white froth

S: wet bread, alcohol, slightly sweet

T: refreshing, immediate surprise of non-bitterness or staleness,it tastes fresh!, beer properties of muti grains including corn and quick hop finish

M: carbonated, crisp, non offensive

Overall: This beer stands above any AAL in terms of value to quality. Many other beers may tout finer quality ingredients and may follow intricate recipes, but thier results do not add up to the taste of this beer. Each beer type has a style that has a standard bearer. For American Adjunct Lager, Pabst Blue Ribbon is that standard bearer. (1,059 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +45.5%

Well the ole PBR. I am shocked poured out of can into highball glass the appearance is a light yellow color with minimal carbonation. The smell is good which is sweet with a nice hint of hops. I really like the taste it has both a hops and grain taste. The mouthfeel is really nice. The drinkability is great goes down smooth and finishes clean! Trully is an all american lager! (378 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +43.5%

First review I've done in a while. Have not stopped drinking good beer, just not reviewing. Also, I thought this beer deserved some good press for once.

A - who cares, not pouring it out of my can, but If I did, it would look very appropriate for an American lager.

S - Not much there, but it smells like beer.

T - Why bother tasting it, just open up, tip your head back and bottoms up!

M - Feels like beer, I like how the bubbles tickle my tongue.

D - When you can slam a beer without having to get off of your bike, then you have a '5'! (543 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +43.5%

A - Clear light golden. Has a pretty foamy head.

S - I wouldn't exactly say there is a smell. This is your run of the mill cheap beer.

T - American. Patriotic. This is your default beer you would find in a 30 pack. However the taste isn't that bad. Is it a cheap beer? No doubt, but your getting more than you paid for really.

M - Clean, crisp. Feels good.

D - Extremely easy to drink, a beer I could easily have on a regular basis. Typical yet very drinkable.

Serving type: can (485 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +42.9%

It would serve no purpose to review one style of beer against another, which in my opinion is a common occurance on sites like this. You would not compare a sports car to a pick-up truck. Although both automobiles, they are designed to serve different purposes. With this kept in mind I will review this beer in comparision to others of its kind.

A: Drank straight from a 24 oz. can, although have poured it in a glass mug before, typical straw color from what I remember.

S: Typical maco-beer smell. Tolerable, slightly pungent.

Taste: Light malt flavor, readily apparent grassy hop taste (yes it is possible to taste hops in an American macro). Dry finish, with light malt flavor, crisp carbonation.

M: Light, moderately carbonated, crisp, refreshing, slightly dry finish.

D: When cold, very easy to drink many of these. I have had some batches that have seemed slightly off and the adjuct corn flavor is more apparent, but by no means as much as Miller brand products. Overall, keep it cold, and you have an above average, "average beer," at a great price. A better product and value than the rest of the mass produced swill. (1,133 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +42.9%

PABST. Smooth,golden nectar that excites the senses and massages the soul.

Appears light,but golden,with a fragile and fast departing head.Decent lace.Classic aroma.Easy drinking,with knock out taste. Pairs well with most anything off the grill. grab some friends,some PBR,and relax. (284 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +42.9%

Cans, cans, cans is the way to go with PBR! 16oz and 24oz. For some reason it just doesn't taste the same out of the bottle and I've only had it on tap once and it was _nothing_ to write home about. I recently moved to Colorado and before I knew anything about their laws, I picked up a 12 pack of cans at a grocery store only to find out it's the 3.2% stuff. Not the same goodness as the original can.

Heads and shoulders above the big 3 macros. A fine brew for an afternoon thirst and goes along with most foods just fine. Excellent at 8am with a re-heated mesquite grilled steak leftover from the night before. (616 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Good ole PBR! If you want a cheap beer that's better than bud, coors or miller then it's PBR. Golden Yellow with a nice foam head. Tastes like high school prom and finger banging Mary Jane rottencrotch in the back of my Trans Am on a backroad in Oklahoma. I'd recommend this beer to anyone. $9 for a 12 pack and surpasses every beer in it's class. (347 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +42.9%

I'll admit that Pabst Blue Ribbon is one of my favorite beers of all time.

Honestly, it's hit or miss. Sometimes I get a beer can that is skunky and then the next one will be fine. I encounter this every once and a while however its not an every beer occurance.

Appearance: The beer pours a light straw pale yellow color and the lacing lasts for only tantamount of seconds.

Smell: Pabst usually smells pleasant. Like I said sometimes it's hit or miss. Smells of light corn fruitiness with a tad of hops and very light alcohol.

Taste: Once again, can some times be hit or miss. I really enjoy the flavor myself, personally. Very fruity with a nice carbonation and bit of bite.

Mouthfeel: Light on the palette, easy to swallow, and very, very refreshing.

Drinkability: I could do an entire case in one sitting without feeling too full or losing interest in the beer itself.

PBR is my go to beer. Cheap, delicious...most of the time and very easy to find. (959 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +41.2%

Judged as an American lager, this is a classic great beer. It's better than its bigger competitors and a joy to drink when you're looking for a crisp clean beer that goes down well. Elegantly simple, refreshingly uncomplicated. I feel cool drinking it. (252 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +40.6%

I have really fallen in love with this beer! I always listened to my friends bash this brew and call it the nastiest of all beers. Well when I bought a 12 pack of long neck bottles, I was impressed by the taste of this kick ass brew! It easily beats Bud, Coors, and Miller and for the price you can't go wrong at all. Give it a try, and taste a true American legend. (366 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +40.3%

This review is based on the style descriptions of the BJCP for Standard American Lager (1B), rather than the American Adjunct Lager of BA. In my humble opinion the latter carries a subjective, borderline elitist and certainly negative connotation.

A: Served at room temp (68 F) from a 12 oz glass bottle with no expiration/production date. Pours a pale golden color with a bright white, soda pop-like head that quickly settles to a thin white foam.

S: The aroma is surprisingly lively. A faint hint of pilsner malt and corn is garnished by an appropriately light, spicy hop bouquet.

T: The malt profile is delicate and mildly sweet. This is contrasted by adequate hop bitterness and some carbonic bite. Hop flavor is evident and spicy, however light.

M: Medium-light bodied and fairly dry. High carbonation gives an illusion of substance that fades quickly after swallowing.

D: Very refreshing, even at room temp. Could (and have) drink quarts of this.

Overall, this is as good as American standards get. Freshness definitely matters here; as hop character will quickly fade and give way to corn the typical BMC profile. When fresh and served at a reasonable temp (not half frozen), this beer exemplifies the style and offers a thirst quenching, delicate beer that can entertain the most experienced palate. (1,315 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +39%

This beer is easy to drink and cheap to buy. I like this beer to drink when I'm playing cards with the guys. For taste it is some bitterness but not bad. It has a nice mouthfeel not grainy or anything like that. Smells like beer nothing fancy there. All in all its not that bad of a beer. (288 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +38.6%

A- Pours a crystal clear straw with a large white foamy head.

S- A pleasant sweet dry maltiness.

T- A bland but sweet maltiness. A faint hint of balancing hops.

M- smooth, good body for this style. Carbonation is just right.

D- excellent, this is one of the better representations of the style. (298 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +38%

A - Looked good.

S - Smelled good.

T - Good lager taste. A little on the malty side, but pretty good balance for a macro. Was not disappointed

M - Good Stuff

D - Good beer for the price, and of the macros I've had it's the best. No wonder Clint was kicking so many of these back in Gran Torino. (298 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

What? You need help painting your house? You have some cold PBR? Sure. Be glad to help. I still owe you one from that roof repair you helped me with last year.

It's work beer. Straightforward, best cold, right amount of carbonation, a little malt. This is what beer is supposed to be. The kind best shared with friends over sweat.

And it tastes pretty good too. (371 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +37%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Re-reviewing to review it relative to style:

I think that this is one of the vest best American Macro Lagers. Thus, my high score represents this fact. In other words, because I give it a 4+, that doesn't mean it is comparable to other beers that I have rated 4+. It ain't St. Bernardus, but it ain't Corona Light either.

Regardless, I do like this beer a good deal. The taste has hints of corn, malt, and hops. I like the nutty taste that I get in the finish. It definitely refreshing. This is a very decent beer, and a very good value. A 30 pack costs around 15 and a pint rarely more than $2 at the bars I frequent. (624 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +37%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Pabst Blue Ribbon is one of my favorite beers. It's a classic.

Pale yellow, straw color. Quite a bit of carbonation. A little bit of a head, dissipates quickly.

It smells a bit metallic, grainy and hops.

It tastes light, carbonated and has a very nice hoppy flavor. A nice amount of bitters.

Light, fizzy and flavorful.

Overall, one of my favorite beers. It's definatley up there. (385 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +36.4%

The gold standard of its class...it is just a good all around adjunct. There is a reason the neo-hipster types have clung to this...well they've moved on by now I'm sure, but that's just this generation's peripatetic and fickle nature...PBR will stand the test of time...an ice- cold bottle of this stuff is sublime at the right moments... (339 characters)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company