Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,658 | Ratings: 5,291
4.18/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I really love this beer. I can't tell you how many pounders of this I've drank over the years, but this time I tried it in a bottle and liked it even better. I guess it's that special occasion and time to review! It holds a special place in my heart, and my wallet. The legend also holds that my great grandfather would leave his on the stove and drink it hot like tea. Anyone else ever heard of this?

It's certainly my "economy" beer of choice, and being a senior in college, I'm often in economy mode. I'm not going to make pretensions and say it's the best beer I've ever had, but I don't get all of the hatred. It's a flavorful, rather consistent standby.

I drank it straight from the bottle, but I know it to be a pale yellow and very clear. Also pours a soapy, foamy head. Smells sweet for the style.

It tastes like American beer. Grainy, malty, not too many hops in there. I love a good IPA, but this is simply another thing altogether, and cannot be compared as such. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with a bit of fizz. Overall it's my old standby. What can I really say?

4.17/5  rDev +38.5%

Disclaimer: I am rating this from the perspective of it being an adjunct lager not how I like it compared to my favorite beers/styles.

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pilsener- pours a clear straw yellow color with a 1.5 finger head, light retention, minimal lacing.

Smell is light and malty- pale german malts and a little yeast. Pretty mellow and nice.

Of course you can taste the adjuncts (rice/corn sugar); they add that weird sweetness and strange finishing taste. Pale malt up front, a little citrus (lemon), barely any hop bitterness. Tastes much better than other adjuncts, especially in a glass.

Mouthfeel is good- light body, moderate carbonation. I've had PBR so many times I thought it was about time to review. If you're going real cheap, go Pabst.

4.17/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my cheap beer and i am not even a hipster. I would prefer old style if it were more readily available but this is hard to beat for 15 bucks a 30. Its not dogfish head but if you are looking to knock back a couple after work for not to much cash you can do a lot worse than this.

4.16/5  rDev +38.2%

PRB--The redneck beer of choice! I tried this after reading the reviews on this site, and wow, was I surprised!

Appearance: Pale yellow with a decent head. This looks like the classic American beer

Smell: None so to speak of. A slight bit of corn. In a word, clean.

Taste: Crisp and smooth. The most "beer-like" macro I've ever had

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation, but the bubbles seem small on the tongue. Light and fresh

Drinkability: Goes down smooth and easy. Great with pizza, wings, or anything else for that matter

PBR is truly an American original. Great beer at a great price!

4.15/5  rDev +37.9%

Pabst has a light blond color that most beers of this type have.

It has a very nice smell. It is not to strong buy smells like your typical grain or hops beer. It is very sweet in smell and is slightly sweet in taste. It has a small head when poured and quickly dissipates.

The mouthful is a tad bit thin and not overly carbonated.

Overall it is a sweet beer that is a very good deal. A 18 pack will run you around 14 or 15 bucks. It's well worth the money and stands out as one of the best cheaper beers. P.B.R. is best on draft or bottle but is just fine out of a can but can have a different taste to some due to the can.

I took a chance when I bought this for the first time but I have made it my favorite "regular" beer. Give the beer its fair chance and you will be surprised.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one before. of all the Piss-water lagers on the planet, this one I actually enjoy, though it's only when the budget is SUPER tight or in social situations where the object is simply to get drunk and (insert appropriate activity)...
Mind you this review is, as instructed, based on the style.

A- transparent gold color with good 2 finger white foamy head, that slowly creeps down to a film.

N- light grain, bit of malt and the faintest bit of hops in the background,

T- mostly follows nose with a nice malt profile that is kind of bitter/sour, and there is a bit more hop flavor than the nose would lead you to believe, it mostly shows up on the finish.

M- thin, but not as thin as water, with a nice smooth malty charter, and a lovely carbonation bite at the end. tricks you into thinking that it's going to finish dry, but is actually rather refreshing, like the style should be.

D- Wonderful example of it's style, my "I'm Broke" fall back/after work at crossroads(anc,ak)/ partying with the fairview/valley/spenard crew brew of choice for YEARS. when it's all about being social on a tight budget this is it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Not going to get into the appearance, taste, mouthfeel, etc. etc. I mean its Pabst Blue Ribbon for god sake. Light, crisp and clean; a great beer to quaff down after mowing the lawn or at a picnic. Also a nice break from the uber-hoppy beer I typically drink Beats the big three by a long shot.

4.14/5  rDev +37.5%

Cool, Crisp, Clean...

this is a staple in my fridge. PBR was the first beer for me and one i continue to enjoy at home and dive-bars alike. it is inexpensive, delicious and a rebel. when you go to a party it used to be that the PBR stuck out, a conversation starter, now it is a staple. the best beer in 1893 and the recipe hasn't changed. great beer, great taste, never lets me down...

great go-to-beer.

4.13/5  rDev +37.2%

Two pint cans poured into a giant frozen crystal stein. 32 ounces of greatness baby. I shall review this as Beer Advocate advises: within the STYLE.

A: Clear gold with a nice, big but thin head. Nice lace left until the bottom of this huge mug. Once the head goes away, I'm left with a sea of floating islands that have me thinking- this beer LOOKS better than I'd think.

S: I mean, how much complexity can we expect here? Who drinks this for the smell? Not pissy at all...Very mild corn and grains, light steel and clean rain. Faint diacetyl in the background somewhere and maybe a touch of caramel malt.

T: The mouthfeel at first is like soda with a slightly sweet tongue. What follows is a light bodied, semi-slick wave of those grains, (corn mostly and cooked veggies) but nothing bitter. Finishes neat and clean and tidy with nothing left behind that offends this master of all things beer. Not as sweet as Miller High Life, not as pale as Rolling Rock. A good in-between.

D: Definitely one of the most drinkable beers I've had. Right now I'm thinkin shit...I shoulda gotten a couple of these four packs...

Value: Here is the kicker for this decent brew. I paid $2.79 for four pints. I think this stuff is an absolute steal for that price. If you're on a budget, I cannot think of a better choice than a twelve pack of good ole PBR.

This stuff has definitely stood the test of time.

4.13/5  rDev +37.2%

Born and Raised in Green bay wisconsin. Where ever you go this is the beer you get. PBR is the man. I barel ever drink beer, but when i do, i drink PBR. Hard liquor is the best, but if all you got is beer, PBR better be what you got.

A - anyway, When you get the beer is a goldish color. I always drink it out of a can. only a few times have i drank it out of a bottle. i prefer the can.

S - Little skunky, not gonna lye. the smell can throw you off

T - I love the taste. Tastes like a classic beer. again, the hard liquor is what i love, but for some reason, this beer PBR, is delicous.

M - In the mouth, on the buds, its not that bad, goes down smooth, but after words, you can tell that you have taken a drink. It stays with you.

O - I can drink this all night long. I godda have some shtos inbetween. :P

4.1/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I know this is a cheap beer and for many years, it was not even available around my parts of the woods. Well guess what folks, it's back. I love this beer. I don't know why, I just do. And, since posting on FB pages, I've noticed that some of my friends that I grew up with in High School love it too. Doesn't matter if it comes from a can or a bottle. Still taste good. I want to try this on tap some day.

4.1/5  rDev +36.2%

Appearance (from prior experience) is as expected for the style; drinking this one out of the bottle, also per the style.

Smell is not this beer's strong point. Smells like wind coming in off the Great Lakes on one of their less beautiful days. Again, as expected.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Here's why I decided to write a review. In rating this beer according to it's style ('Shitty' American Ultralight), it is unrivaled. When served cold, the beer fills the mouth with a crisp and expanding frothiness and tickles the sides of the tongue in a way that says two things : 1) This is Beer. 2) This is refreshing. It is, indeed, impressively lacking in flavor. Every swallow is satisfying in the aforementioned criteria, and these criteria alone.

My fridge is always full of beer. The homebrews, the favorite sixpacks, the fancy bombers rimming the back.... and last but not least the drawers and door - overflowing with beer intended drink mindlessly and without concern. Such responsibility lies with PBR.

PBR lacks the corny taste of three hops brewed miller lite, the drop in the ocean taste of the buds, and rarely tastes poorly or stale in the way that coors often does. PBR compares more to Blatz (which is more sweet), and less so to Shlitz (less consistent/often stale tasting), in the coupling of hyperconscious simplicity and standard beerishness. It's position as a sort of cult classic in certain cities/subcultures seems to maintain it's consistent, albeit low, standards. It is not produced and sourced to the degree that many similar beers are, but it is certainly widely known and accessible. In sum, it's the go to beer when I feel dehydrated.

4.1/5  rDev +36.2%

12oz can, best by Jan 2011, into a Duvel tulip. Why not?

A: Crystal clear straw-colored body with an inch of coarse white head. Average retention and some spotty lace. Pretty good for the style.

S: It's actually got quite a clean, pleasant intensity in its straightforward corny/malty graininess. The sweetness of malts and adjuncts is balanced by some grassy hops.

T: Follows the nose precisely, with a nice balance of sweetness and bitterness, followed up by a vaguely toasty, vanilla finish; I've never bothered to analyze the flavors of PBR, but now that I am, I'm impressed at how well it pulls off the cleanness and inoffensiveness of a classic fizzy yellow beer. Rating purely to style, this is almost perfect.

M: Medium-bodied and highly carbonated, with very sharp, tongue-pricking effervescence. Lively, but a little irritating with its harshness.

D: Well-balanced, but actually too flavorful to be as drinkable as some examples of the style.

Notes: I don't know how many PBRs I had during college, but this is the first time I swirled and sniffed it out of a tulip (much to my wife's bemusement). Much to my surprise, the intensification of flavor actually didn't intensify my disgust (as it had for every other AAL I've reviewed). PBR is the real deal, and just became my official favorite cheap beer. If only hipsters didn't think it were cool...

Cheers!

4.09/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16 OZ can into a pint glass. PBR is the "white trash chic" trend beer today. I have always liked it. It has a great hop flavor and is very smooth.

4.08/5  rDev +35.5%

This is a great cheap beer to keep in the fridge for a hot day. It actually has some flavor compared to Miller or Bud. There is very little finish to it, but they go down easy.

4.08/5  rDev +35.5%

The reason for the high rating is because I am only comparing it against other American Adjunct Lagers (BMC beers). Coming from a hop head like myself, the first can of PBR is always a chore to swallow down but once I pop the top on beer 2, 3, 4, well you get the point, THIS BEER TASTES LIKE BEER SHOULD TASTE in its purest most basic form.

4.08/5  rDev +35.5%

This is our everlasting go to beer. Throughout late highschool and college, a trip home meant a 6er of something nice and a 30 of PBR with the guys.

PBR has exactly what you want in a crappy American Adjunct beer. There is no aftertaste like you get in Bud and Coors, and not as gassy afterwards as Budlight, and not at filling as MGD. Plus the price is unbeatable.

PBR is a drinking to drink beer, and nothing else. But hey, we're supposed to reveiw these things for what they are, not what we want them to be. Do you complain when an IPA tastes like hops?

4.08/5  rDev +35.5%

I don't know why this beer gets such a bad rap. It is by far the best tasting, mass produced beer in the USA. It has a fresh, clean, refreshing taste. On tap, this beer should out sell all the other mass produced lagers. I always have a twelve pack in my fridge - next to a few local IPAs and something new in a growler - and I find nothing strange about that.

4.08/5  rDev +35.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

An enjoyable adjunct lager. About as American as they come. The biggest problem I have with Pabst Blue Ribbon is it's small window of life. Personally I feel like the beer if not cared for well will get skunky and gross quickly. Keep it cold. Very cold and you can enjoy it. I actually prefer it out of a bottle or on tap than a can. But if you don't have either then a can works fine.

4.07/5  rDev +35.2%

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. pours a pale straw color with two fingers of tight white head that remain for a couple minutes. nothing special here, just a standard macro lager.

aroma is lightly malty, with a semi sweet quality. a light floral character is present as well, along with a distant hint of citrus.

taste is lightly malty, with pale malts showing. a soft floral base gives the brew balance, while working with the semi sweet character from the malts to produce a solid macro lager. this one has character and smoothness, along with a crisp and clean finish.

mouthfeel is light bodied, with a thin mouthfeel and soft CO2 on the palate. finishes crisp and clean, with little aftertaste.

drinkability is good. this is a solid macro, with clean flavors, and character despite its thinness. one of the better macro lagers out there. cheers!

4.06/5  rDev +34.9%

Pale yellow in color with excellent clarity. Poured with a short, rich, dense white foam with good retention. Medium light grainy aromas with crackery and light malty notes. No esters, green apple or hop aromas. Light bodied with high/aggressive yet creamy, refreshing carbonation. Grainy and light malt avors up front with light hop bitterness through the middle. No hop flavors. Finished semi-dry and fairly cleanly with a light crackery afertaste. Clean, crisp aroma and flavor. A very refreshing and drinkable American Lager. Definitely one of the cleaner American lagers out there and at $20.for a 30 pack....you can't miss with this on a hot summer day. When scoring to style, this one does very well.

4.05/5  rDev +34.6%

Alrighty,

Appearance: Maybe it's the bottle or maybe i'm just thirstier then usual but this looks a little better then last time. Then again I have been practicing my pour so that might of helped with the nice head.

Smell: I think it's just lacking any tin smell from last time. It smells lightly hoppy and very nice.

Taste: Again I think i prefer this bottle. Stays colder hence more refreshing longer. I sense the right about of hops with a nice impression of sweetness. It's very good.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is excellent and refreshing. It doesn't stick in your mouth and ends clean. I like it.

Drinkability: I can drink this refreshing beer any time. It's great with BBQ and grilled food. It's carbonation it great for celebrating events because it's a champagne of beer ... oh wait i think thats taken.

4.05/5  rDev +34.6%

The last time I drank PBR, I was in high school and i puked.

Since that time, I regarded PBR as one of the worst beers ever made. Pabst, Blatz, Top Hat, Iron City, Cook's, Shaeffer, etc.

More recently, a friend of mine came over withe his "beloved" PBR and left a couple in the fridge.

Despite being offered, I refused (many times).

Over the course of the next several days, I ran out of beer, and had no choice but to drink the PBR left over in my fridge.

I was SHOCKED by its decent flavor, mouthfeel, and drinkability.

As much as I consider myself a beer connoisseur, this really threw me for a loop.

I don't understand it, but PBR is now one of my favorite beers. The fact that it is about $6/$7 for a 12 pack makes it even more remarkable.

FWIW, I did buy a 6-pack in bottles and it was not nearly as good as it was in the cans. My whole world is now completely upside-down.

UPDATE: I do still love PBR, but I found something out about it that makes it even better! As the economy has tanked and beer prices have skyrocketed, I experimented with mixing some of my favorite beers with cheaper beers to make it go further. I know that sounds pathetic, but hear me out. PBR is the PERFECT mixer. I have tried almost every cheap beer to use as a mixer and they ALL detract from the flavor - EXCEPT for PBR. I even hesitate to mention this because this information is worth a lot of money in my opinion. I am serious. As I write this, I am having a Sierra Nevada Flipside Rde IPA mixed 1:1 with a PBR and it is delicious! I do this with Dogfish Head, Great Lakes, Sierra Nevada, and many other IPA's, Pale Ale's, etc. It is an AWESOME discovery!

4.04/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The American dream. Take a sip and live. Who cares? It doesn't matter, nothing matters. Just live and drink. Crush them twice. Tip it back, glug, glug, glug. Crinkle that empty can with your dirty fingers which have nails chewed to the bone. Crush it twice. Do you get it now? This is a party. It's actually just you by yourself on your front lawn sitting in a plastic chair while reading Bukowski. But what's the difference? Party is what you make it. Suck em and live damnit.

4.03/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.5

At one point my favorite beer of all time was PBR. Very inoffensive. Good carbonation. Taste is corn a cracker malts. It has a heavier mouthfeel than others in its style.

My go to if i cant decide

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company