Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
2.43/5  rDev -17.3%

2.38/5  rDev -19%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

3.5/5  rDev +19%

1.95/5  rDev -33.7%

I do not like this beer.

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.13/5  rDev -27.6%

Simple crappy beer but easy to drink

4.18/5  rDev +42.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I know this is a cheap beer and for many years, it was not even available around my parts of the woods. Well guess what folks, it's back. I love this beer. I don't know why, I just do. And, since posting on FB pages, I've noticed that some of my friends that I grew up with in High School love it too. Doesn't matter if it comes from a can or a bottle. Still taste good. I want to try this on tap some day.

2.58/5  rDev -12.2%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear straw color with lots of carbonation. The head is a finger high with a white shade. Retention isn't nearly as godawful as its BMC brethren, though the head leaves behind no lacing on the glass. (3)

Smell: Smells like a crappy macro, to be honest. Corn, cereal grains, and a bit of diacetyl consists the worst of the notes here; I'm not really getting much cotton candy or cooked veggies. There are actually a kiss of noble hops - can't hate on that. Sure, it doesn't smell particularly good, but it does smell drinkable. (2.5)

Taste: It opens up with some cereal grain, giving way to some vanilla cream and apple-esque sweetness. It can't really stand up to a properly good craft beer, but this one has its place. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: Much crisper and lighter-feeling than something like Bud Lite or Miller Light, with the carbonation falling just short of being annoying. A bit sweet, but endlessly drinkable. (3)

Overall: I could drink this again. I could drink a FEW of these again. And because it's so dirt fuckin' cheap (pretty much the cheapest beer I can find in my area), I'll even buy it again! Pairs well with 100 degree weather, thrash metal, and fishing. (2.5)

2.58/5: Heineken? Fuck that shit. PABST! BLUE! RIBBON!

2.94/5  rDev 0%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.05/5  rDev -30.3%

355ml bottle from Beers of Europe (£1.69):
What can I say about this one? It was pretty much as expected and not at all good, the smell in particular being a poor one but it did manage to remain at least partially drinkable, just not all that enjoyable. The taste was fairly basic and I could imagine it appealing to your macro lager drinkers due to it's crisp, clean taste but it wasn't a good beer at all.

3.44/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.63/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Don't be a pretentious beer snob, guys. PBR is actually decent for a mainstream adjunct lager. It's very refreshing and smooth. Granted, PBR is thin, light-bodied, lacks flavor and aroma, but it's not as watered down or horrible as the other macro lagers (i.e. budlight -sorry).
It has a slightly funny scent of metal, faint hop profile, and grainy (corn-like) note to it.
I still give this more points for being cheap and largely available. Also, the taste is clean and crisp. I don't mind drinking this.

2.94/5  rDev 0%

3.74/5  rDev +27.2%

PBR is by far my favorite beer with similar "lightness". I would buy PBR almost exclusively in college, because I believed (and still believe) that it was the best beer I could buy for the price. I could get a 12er for $7.99. Unfortunately PBR has seen an increase in demand, resulting in a higher price in my area. Now I think a 12er of Sam Adams or New Belgium is a better deal. PBR pours a nice golden yellow and is very refreshing. Always puts off those who like to rid beer of all of its taste. It is a little skunky but something about it tastes great. I recommend getting in cans, as the bottles seem to add some off-putting skunkiness.

3.45/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.01/5  rDev +2.4%

2.8/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

4.75/5  rDev +61.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great adjunct lager. Lite body, crisp, refreshing. For an AAL it does have a little more character than similar brands, not complex, just a little more character. Very drinkable or a great session beer, also a good burger, pizza, tacos beer etc. Compare with other more expensive beers and you will be pleasantly surprised.

1.75/5  rDev -40.5%