Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,659 | Ratings: 5,297
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

There is something about PBR that tastes better than similar beers, perhaps it's the blue label on the can, maybe I like it because I wear a set of hipster glasses. I don't know, but it's better than Budweiser.

EDIT I had to bump this to a 2, I figure any beer I rate 2 or higher I'll gladly drink any time, and PBR deserves to be in that category.

2.66/5  rDev -11.6%

It's ashamed this old beer has thrown in the towel and is now brewed by Miller. Pabst has no brewery, and is now just a name from the past. Why not just drink a High Life ? Real Miller is better tasting anyway.

You god damn right I gave this a perfect rating. For 1.75$ for a pint at the local watering hole, I feed this shit to my God damn unborn child. I'm a broke ass college kid, I can't afford to be bingeing on 4$ pints all fucking night long. PBR is by far the best bang for your buck if you wanna be drinking fucking angel piss

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a pale straw yellow with a finger of white airy carbonation.

Smells nostalgic.

Tastes nostalgic.

Light-bodied, high carbonation, crisp, refreshing.

Overall, hands down a truly nostalgic beer that brings back great memories. Not fantastic, but it's highly crushable and it holds a special place in my heart.

3.06/5  rDev +1.7%

L: Pours an extremely clear pale yellow with lively carbonation and a fleeting head.

S: Grainy, a bit musty and very light and clean. Perhaps some hints of Noble hops in there but otherwise very dry grainy malt.

T: Very light and unassuming. Pretty grainy with a very clean flavor profile, and the slightest amount of malt in the finish.

F: Extremely light with extremely high carbonation. Reminds me of seltzer.

3.57/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer is underrated. I think that this is because of how unimpressive so many American Lagers are.
The look is very basic- light gold with a white, shorter head. The smell is a little pungent, not at all musky . You can detect a mild hops scent as well as malt.
I like the flavor. It is more bitter than most American Lagers. The malt is detectable, with hops being even more noticeable. Some have said you can taste corn, and that is probably the closest descriptor I can think of for the 3rd flavor I detect.
The feel is somewhat effervescent, smooth going down, you feel a small hoppy bite at the end.
Overall, if I am going for an American Lager that isn't a micro-brew, this is the one for me.

3.42/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 16 oz can into tall bar-like mug. Pours a clear yellow straw color with a very fizzy head that sticks around a leaves quite a bit of lacing.
Smells of corn, malt and teeny tiny bit of hops.
Taste is more so on the surprisingly great side, has a nice rich malt flavor with a nice little bit of bitter hop bite. A bit corny, kind of typical adjunct.
Mouthful is clean and smooth, crisp. Very, very drinkable.
Overall, really decent for a commercial adjunct lager. Easy drinkin'

3.03/5  rDev +0.7%

The beer is pale yellow, clear, and comes with a small white head. It smells light sweet bread, with a note of sweet corn, but these smells are not too strong. It tastes only fairly sweet, no bitterness whatsoever. The taste is actually very enjoyable, much more than other macro, cheap beers. The mouthfeel is light, fuzzy, and heavily carbonated. This is a great example of what a cheap adjunct lager can be. I would recommend this to all as a cheap session beer of choice, and to all beginners as a good example of a mostly flavorless beer whose flavor (where it exists) is fairly good.

2.74/5  rDev -9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Straw yellow with a frothy whitehead that dissipates quickly. Smell is grains and hops. Taste follows the nose. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. Goes down easy. It is what it is. But it's cheap and if there is nothing worthwhile at the bar, I'll have this on tap. Sampled this from a can.

3.58/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer is not the greatest beer at the bar but it sure isn't the worst.

This is the kinda beer you can drink and have great memories with. A pure, true session beer. BBQ, fishing, camping, you name it. Want to have a great night drinking for hours at the bar? PBR! Want to drown your emotions for the night? PBR! Feel like your tongue is all hopped out?PBR!

This, along with Narragansett and Schlitz, will always be my go to beer when I just want to have fun.

3.06/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm amazed a beer of this quality can be sold so cheaply. That's the limit of my interest though.

In the plus category this beer is clean, clear, consistent, downright dependable. Flavorful enough to please yet unchallenging to all but the most dedicated light beer drinker.

With PBR I always know what I'm getting which is something I can't say for some brands that cost much, much more.

2.85/5  rDev -5.3%

This is my default brew. If I'm not drinking craft I'm drinking PBR. Very nostalgic, and there isn't another beer on the gas station shelves providing more bang for your buck than PBR at 5 bucks for a sixer of tall boys.

2.73/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Keeping in mind this beer's price point, I don't think this is bad at all for what it is. Pours a golden yellow color with a decent sized head that actually lasted much longer than I expected and left a foam ring for about half the course of the beer. Smells like macro: corn and grain sweetness, the faintest hint of a floral hop aroma (that's unusual for macro!). Taste is weak, but primarily sweet like corn. There's a slight hop taste, and something a little metallic. More crisp and clean in the finish than I thought it would be. Feel is light bodied with high carbonation, a little rough going down. Slight drying effect from the wisp of hops it has. For $6 (or less) a sixpack, it's definitely not the worst you can do.

2.76/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Look-Pours a pale copper color with a half inch head.
Smell- smells like a stale bread that has been soaked in beer.
Taste- Taste is pretty good with a exceptional amount of hops added for the price.
Feel- Very fulfilling but not very complex.Refreshing but has a bit of gusto at the same time.
Overall-My teenage years wouldn't be complete without PBR.

3.94/5  rDev +30.9%

Before it became the Hipster drink here I was buying it because it was a cheap a good American lager. Overall a nice balanced cereal and grain beer with a good aftertaste. Taste is somewhat creamy for a lighter beer. A classic American beer, straw yellow color, extra carbonation, nice flavor for what it is, and a good price for a pretty decent beer. Has gone up in price since I was originally drinking it so I usually will go with Labatt's or Coors can be about the same price. If this beer is one sale or a good price I will certainly buy for my cheap all day drinking type beer.

2.34/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

While Pabst seems to have some kind of role to play in american beer culture, mostly being the cheap okayish alternative - in Sweden it does not.

Apparently even bastardizing is an art of sorts, and our cheap copies of german and czech lagers are all superior to this watery experience.

3.76/5  rDev +24.9%

The best cheap beer out there. You can taste malt and hops. Light and refreshing. Adjuncts are there but subdued. The beer tastes like white bread but is sweet, with a mild grain flavor and a kiss of hops. Very smooth and drinkable, but with mild flavor of actual beer. Best cheap AAL.

4.08/5  rDev +35.5%

The reason for the high rating is because I am only comparing it against other American Adjunct Lagers (BMC beers). Coming from a hop head like myself, the first can of PBR is always a chore to swallow down but once I pop the top on beer 2, 3, 4, well you get the point, THIS BEER TASTES LIKE BEER SHOULD TASTE in its purest most basic form.

3.26/5  rDev +8.3%

Certainly not a world-class microbrew, but together with Natty Gans, Utica Club and Name Tag, a very serviceable canned, low ABV session beer made for fishing.

3.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of a 16 oz. can into a one liter beer stein.

Appearance - Yellow color with a slight tint of copper. Pours a nice one-finger head that dissipates in a couple minutes. Good lacing around the glass, and appears to have good carbonation.

Smell - There is definitely a hint of grassy, almost floral hops in the beer. There is also a bready scent to it.

Taste - Immediately, the taste of crisp hops invade the tongue. Not overpowering, but you can definitely taste the hops. The hops seem to be of good quality. I only rate the taste a "1.75", because hoppy beers are not my style.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, clean, spritzy, and watery.

Overall - If a novice beer drinker prefers the taste of Pabst Blue Ribbon over the taste of Budweiser, he may go on to larger hoppy beers such as pale ales. I am not a huge fan of hoppy beers, and this would not be my first choice of beer. But for what it's worth, and for what this beer is supposed to be, this is a good beer. It's very cheap, clean-tasting, and I would recommend it to any beer drinker that is low on cash and needs a hoppy beer.

Negative score if possible. The FOAM is overwhelming on the mouthfeel. Taste is weak stale grain and metal. Gag reflex was triggered. Drain pour that can only be rivaled by the Natural Light beers of the world.

3.89/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Fairly aggressive pour from a 12 oz. can resulted in a very thin, maybe half a finger of rocky white head. Clear and golden with streaming bubbles.

Sweet corn with a lightly toasted white bread smell.

The taste is a nice combo of some sweet with a nice balance of barley, malts and a light hop feel at the back.

The feel is oh so refreshing! Playful bubbles from the carbonation dance across your tongue while the finish is so nice, clean and crisp.

When you combine this very pleasant beer with the price of a case of 24 at $15 you really come out a winner. Sure the beer is not going to blow you out with hops or have a lot of hidden fruit or spice flavors. This is just a great beer to pull out of the fridge, crack it while it is cold and enjoy.

2.4/5  rDev -20.3%

I only gave this beer a two for the mouth-feel and the fact that I used to love this garbage. This is one of the smoothest beers in the world. (Or at least America) I loved this beer so much, I drank it all the time in college. I even had friends laugh at me for enjoying this while they were drinking Craft Beers and stuff. I loved the stuff. However, I noticed that the company must have done something to the recipe because over time it tasted awful. There was a skunky, garbage, and despicable feeling to the entire beer. It tasted like a bear pissed in my mouth. I don't drink it no more. It sucks.

2.92/5  rDev -3%

Pleasantly surprised, lightweight, but very smooth, crisp and clean. Nice fluffy head on pale golden body. Not overly sweet, although adjunct rains are present in aroma and taste. Lager yes, but a head above the rest of the US macro brews.

3.57/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I drink this beer to cleanse my pallet. It's neutral taste will clean my taste buds so I can resume drinking more flavorful beers. Not a bad beer for a frat party or your "white trash trailer bash".

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company