1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,695 | Reviews: 1,466 | Show All Ratings:
cyrenaica

Ontario (Canada)

This brew was the laughingstock at my graduate school department. I avoided it as long as I could but alas, I did eventually try it. It was rank right out of the bottle, and thankfully it had a more yellowish tinge than some other brews...and that's a very minor thankfully. There is no discernable smell to speak of nor is there any discernable taste. The mouthfeel is very watery with hints of carbonation. Overall this is not a beer that I would try again, nor is it a beer that I would recommend to others.

06-25-2007 03:16:44 | More by cyrenaica
Bigbadbudman

Why don't people understand that just because your dad and your dad's dad drank it doesn't mean its good. This beer shouldn't be shouldn't served, sold, or given away for free. This is pure butt pee in a can. Some one should petition congress and have there brewery shut down and burned. This a black eye on America's beer portfolio. I hate this beer.

10-20-2011 03:08:16 | More by Bigbadbudman
AgentK

I've tried this beer in the bottle and in the can. I've tried this beer so many times I could make a Dr. Seuss style book out of it (Not suitable for children).

I cannot figure out why my friends drink this. My best guess is that it's a joke. It's kind of like "icing." If you lose the game, you have to drink a PBR as punishment. Beer should never do that. Beer should enrich your life, not punish it.

The taste was mediocre, at best. It's just not worth it. It has a weak head, boring taste, and a sad little color. It's drinkable, if you're looking for a quick fix, but if you're looking for something to enjoy after a hard day's work, to relax, or to have a nice chat with your buds, this is not the beer for you.

08-01-2012 23:41:09 | More by AgentK
velkyal

1.05/5  rDev -64.4%

Appearance - like fizzy bear urine
Smell - slightly malty bear urine
Taste - was there?
Mouthfeel - about 2 seconds before spitting it out
Drinkability - erm no.

Simply foul and not worthy of the term "beer". I would rather never drink again than go anywhere near this muck again.

05-19-2010 13:42:41 | More by velkyal
Crosling

Colorado

1.1/5  rDev -62.7%

Light yellow color. The head is very large initially and retains fairly well considering it’s a macro. Unbelievably disgusting oceanic aroma (sea water, salt, seaweed) along with light grains and corn. Watery, corny flavor with hints of light grains and sauvignon blanc. Terrifying.

05-22-2006 22:51:02 | More by Crosling
corpulent

Nevada

1.1/5  rDev -62.7%

The $1 I spent on a 32 oz. mug of this would have found a better home in the jukebox playing some Winger song.

Yeah I get it, PBR is a staple for some; an old historic beer that daddy and grandpappy used to imbibe. Cheap, too. Hobo's choice.

Looks like an average beer, smells sour. A few drinks in and my breath is so rank I have inadvertently pushed my companions and other bar patrons to a 4 foot radius around me. Sits heavy in my gut. To this day, it's the only beer I have been unable to finish, and I grew up on Rainier, Keystone, Milwaukee's Best, and Old English.

PBR's only redeeming quality is Frank Booth's ringing endorsement from "Blue Velvet."

03-04-2010 22:26:39 | More by corpulent
Johnq1964

United Kingdom (England)

1.1/5  rDev -62.7%

One of the first beers I tasted when I was in the US. Didn't know what beers were good or bad. Did I make the wrong choice. Whilst it looked ok in the glass the smell, taste and mouthfeel were all truly awful. It was like drinking cotton wool.
Avoid it at all costs.

08-11-2013 12:17:34 | More by Johnq1964
FriedGold2010

Louisiana

1.23/5  rDev -58.3%

Terrible. Absolutely terrible. The only fans I know of this beer like it because its such a joke. The flavour has a faint maltiness that's mostly not present and no lace. It's mouthfeel is less viscous than water, the over-carbonation stings the tongue, and the skunkiness is UNREAL. It was a cross between rancid gone-off cocktail olives and the aftertaste of oral surgery. I found a sort of bitter aftertaste that left me far thirstier than a beer should. This beer has only served any purpose after many rounds of scotch and Guinness Extra Cold when one is still thirsty but broke, going at $3 a pitcher. Fans of craft beers, even American macro should stay away.

07-11-2007 05:00:41 | More by FriedGold2010
BoFoSho

Washington

1.26/5  rDev -57.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

My friend returned from the kitchen with a cup full of what I thought was piss. He swore to me it wasn't, but I couldn't be sure. I smelled the "brew", and thought it was for sure urine. But I was thirsty, so I took a big gulp. My brain was telling me to spit it out and look for some real beer, but I was too polite and not drunk enough for such rash actions. Smells and tastes like water that has sat in a plastic bottle for two months. If there is anything that PBR is good for, it would be Keg Stands. One can drink this like water all day, and receive a blue ribbon for being the most low-class drinker around.

03-05-2013 06:02:13 | More by BoFoSho
NJpadreFan

1.3/5  rDev -55.9%

Good ole PBR on tap! Hard to find but I did!!! Plum Crazy- on Garnett in PB (san diego)

I ordered pbr and several patrons around me started screaming!!! They were excited about me ordering a pbr!!!

Anyway, PBR (on tap) poured a decent murky yellow with a very thick white head. The head lasted almost half the beer!
The smell was skunked, badly! No one orders it I guess! Well, corn, grains, hops, and skunkiness.
The taste was of hops and skunkiness. bad batch!!!

I'm telling you PBR is great in a can and nothing else!!! I should of listened to the patrons screams!!!

12-01-2003 22:00:45 | More by NJpadreFan
Seanibus

1.3/5  rDev -55.9%

I hadn't had one of these in a long time, but I was stuck at a concert with only this and Miller to choose from. So I decided to have this and pretend I was a young urban hipster, not a middle aged square dude.

I must say, my memory failed me completely. I had remembered PBR as OK. It is not. In fact, words fail me.

Here is my snap review, in its entirety, typed into my blackberry as I sampled the beer:

"taste like the weewee of a diabetic. Sweet and acidic."

What else can I add?

04-21-2009 17:31:35 | More by Seanibus
startreker

1.35/5  rDev -54.2%

Im stunned that this beer has been getting decent reviews! I decided to give PBR a go When I was dead broke, and could afford little else. This is the only beer, I repeat, Only beer that has ever made me feel nauseated from the get go. Its also the only ever beer, that I ever poured down the sink, and felt sorry for the fish that were about to recieve it. I`d never drink it again even if I were facing poverty! Pours a pale straw color that I anticipated given that its a macro. Mouthfeel was below average. Drinkabilty simply felt horrible from the onset.

Avoid at all costs!

08-14-2011 02:08:12 | More by startreker
gtermi

1.35/5  rDev -54.2%

This beer is just not good. I bought this because it has decent ratings on this site, but I hated every second of this beer. The appearance and smell are very boring a bland, nothing special at all. The taste is the worst part of this beer IMO. It is like water with a slight rice and corn taste on the finish. The mouthfell is very carbonated and boring. Overall this is a boring beer. It is still better than any BMC, but still not good at all.

09-27-2011 04:57:17 | More by gtermi
bastardface

1.38/5  rDev -53.2%

There is not much to say about this beer except that it is pretty awful. I understand that has a history to it and to some people it is cool to drink. Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood will make any beer drinkable. Honestly this beer is only bearable if you are low on cash. The taste is very similar to a metallic can taste. It is pretty bitter. I would not recommend this beer to any serious beer drinker. Unfortunately I have had my share of PBRs. There really is no smell or taste which could be referable to something attractive. I do not enjoy this beer at all and if I had my way I will never have one again. I suppose this is the beer that got so many people smoking in bars. Cigarettes taste better than this brew.

10-31-2010 22:44:27 | More by bastardface
TheDM

Indiana

1.43/5  rDev -51.5%

This brew poured a small head of quickly disappearing fine to large sized white bubbles and a carbonated straw yellow body. It has a mild malt-hop aroma with a mild fizzy flavor of wheat and bread. It was smooth initially and had a lingering slightly bitter aftertaste.

06-25-2003 15:30:21 | More by TheDM
santoslhalper

1.43/5  rDev -51.5%

Pours a simple light copper with a thin white head and no lcaing whatsoever. Smells like a decent macro-lager, but nothing special. Tastes like water with a pinch of grain mixed in. No complexity, and no flavor. So bland I could barely finish it. I used to like this is, but no more. Avoid.

12-01-2004 23:38:47 | More by santoslhalper
thekanna

Maryland

1.43/5  rDev -51.5%

A: Extremely typical macro-brewed lager appearance: Clear straw yellow with some frothy white head.

S: Very strange artificial yeast smell with a good helping of cooked veggies. It became nauseating to dwell on the smell.

T: Again, the nauseating yeast flavor with lots of corn and a metallic aftertaste.

M: Crisp; frothy head gave it a odd coffee-foam like texture though.

D: Easily one of the toughest beers for me to choke down. I can't find much good to say about this beer but I'll refrain from bashing it.

08-25-2009 03:17:08 | More by thekanna
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

1.45/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

I'm sorry, but it's all I can do to keep from laughing at the new found "hipness" of PBR.

The beer pours a light gold color with virtually no head retention or lacing. Eeeeehaaaa!!! We be in for one fine tasting beer here. On the nose... nose??? aroma??? What in the hell are we talking about? I get nothing, other then a hint of seltzer water and corn. At least there aren't any off aromas, so I guess I should be thankful for that. As for flavor, there is almost none. I highly recommend that you drink this as cold as you can get it, preferably somewhere close to freezing. There is some corn and seltzer water on the palate, though again, I get no off flavors. Mouthfeel epitomizes the expression "watery." Yeah baby, we're talking lawn mower beer here. Ideally this beer should be consumed in 100 degree weather, served ice cold, and consumed only after 4 or 5 hours of yard work. Drinkability? Hey, I love a good joke as much as the next guy. There is nothing enjoyable about drinking this swill, and the fact it has become trendy of late doesn't change that one bit.

This is a terrrible beer, and the fact there is worse out there doesn't make it any more deserving of praise. Absolute swill. As one complimentary reviewer mentioned, the empties are great for target practice the next morning. Frankly, I can't see any reason to make them empties. Full of beer or empty, target practice is all cans of this swill is good for. Don't kid yourself with the hype. This is not even remotely close to decent beer.

12-02-2008 06:13:21 | More by johnmichaelsen
Monsteruss

Colorado

1.48/5  rDev -49.8%

When first pouring from it's can, the foam was a very light wheat color/ almost white that dissapated quickly followed by the pale malt aroma with a metallic tone (probably from the can). Taste - It has mostly a crisp light malt taste that feels watered down with also metallic flavor.
A friend of mine drinks this beer often and offers me one now and then. At first I tried to get used to the taste(if you call it that). But now I can't stand it. It's probably one of the worst beers I've had.

04-10-2009 01:46:47 | More by Monsteruss
Rifugium

1.48/5  rDev -49.8%

First had: can from some dude's cooler.

Yay! Cheap beer!

Pours a pale yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates to a fizzy layer of bubbles. Weak aroma of corn and grains, memories of pitchers and cheap dates. Tastes the same: corn, grains, watered down grass juice with the possibility of a hop sneaking in. Light mouthfeel, and goes down eeeeaaasssyyyy and ends with regret, but a still-full wallet. Should be avoided unless absolutely necessary and/or you're broke.

05-24-2011 17:47:24 | More by Rifugium
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Can: Poured a very light yellow color beer with a medium white bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of corn and adjunct is not surprisingly dominating. Taste is as bland as it can be done with no aftertaste at all (which is probably the purpose but does not provide me with any satisfaction.

09-25-2006 18:07:14 | More by Phyl21ca
numinorian

1.5/5  rDev -49.2%

A Pale yellow and fairly translucent. Light white and utterly lacking retention with a permanent sticky lace

S Weak notes of hopps and grain

T Very hoppy with almost no grain. Weak and watery with a hint of tin foil. Yes. Tin foil.

MF A bit harsh and soapy.

Drinkability is fairly low. The sour bitter sting of hopps seems not quite right.

Overall this beer is not something i'd buy, but I still like it over other macros such as the dreaded bud. If nothing else i'll drink it in honor of blue velvet. PBR!

03-28-2009 03:31:39 | More by numinorian
JohnnyMc

Good ol' PBR.

Pours out a very bright and clear yellow with a little bit of white head.

The aroma is slightly malty with hints of grains.

The taste is much the same as the aroma. There is a slight hint of malt along with a taste of grains whether it's rice or corn or both.

Very light and easy to drink, but the flavor is nothing to write home about. Better than some other macro lagers, but not by much.

07-19-2012 02:41:01 | More by JohnnyMc
Polecat41

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I see that the reviewers gave PBR a 72 rating & the Bros an 80 rating. And the reviewers gave Beck's a 67 rating & the Bros a 62 rating. Are you all nuts?!! Beck's now may be owned by InBev & brewed in St. Louis, MO. But I recently called Beck's brewmaster & he assured me that they were still brewing to the German Purity Law, which means they're only using water, barley malt, hops & yeast. I'm sure Pabst isn't doing the same. I know why all of you are rating Pabst higher than Beck's. It has nothing to do with PBR's quality. Rather, it's the "pseudo-hipster's" rating, i.e. "PBR is 'cooler' than Beck's because it doesn't advertise & has the patriotic U.S. colors of red, white & blue." C'mon everyone - get real. No way is PBR better tasting than Beck's. And no, I don't work for Beck's & I'm not German. However, I've brewed my own beers & know a bit of what I'm talking about.

07-28-2012 19:36:29 | More by Polecat41
Jamesp96

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of the shittiest beers out there, i cant stand the after taste , that after taste you get just ruins it for me , all you get is corn and metallic taste , never buying this corn cooler again. I would much perefer a budweiser or busch to this at least your not geting that terrable after taste

12-20-2012 22:53:55 | More by Jamesp96