Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,972 | Reviews: 1,685

Why don't people understand that just because your dad and your dad's dad drank it doesn't mean its good. This beer shouldn't be shouldn't served, sold, or given away for free. This is pure butt pee in a can. Some one should petition congress and have there brewery shut down and burned. This a black eye on America's beer portfolio. I hate this beer.

Putrid, unpleasant, stale. All words that fit the bill for this one. The worst of the AAL pile in my opinion.

Would not seek out, purchase, or drink again.

NO it really is that BAD

I've tried this beer in the bottle and in the can. I've tried this beer so many times I could make a Dr. Seuss style book out of it (Not suitable for children).

I cannot figure out why my friends drink this. My best guess is that it's a joke. It's kind of like "icing." If you lose the game, you have to drink a PBR as punishment. Beer should never do that. Beer should enrich your life, not punish it.

The taste was mediocre, at best. It's just not worth it. It has a weak head, boring taste, and a sad little color. It's drinkable, if you're looking for a quick fix, but if you're looking for something to enjoy after a hard day's work, to relax, or to have a nice chat with your buds, this is not the beer for you.

borderline undrinkable. temperature must be ICE cold to avoid vomiting.

This beer is so overrated. Too sweet, overly carbonated and has a weird chemical aftertaste. In your face and up yours, you silly hipsters!, you just go on and keep on drinking this crap, you and your shitty PBR are so pathetic.

This brew was the laughingstock at my graduate school department. I avoided it as long as I could but alas, I did eventually try it. It was rank right out of the bottle, and thankfully it had a more yellowish tinge than some other brews...and that's a very minor thankfully. There is no discernable smell to speak of nor is there any discernable taste. The mouthfeel is very watery with hints of carbonation. Overall this is not a beer that I would try again, nor is it a beer that I would recommend to others.

1.04/5  rDev -64.5%

A real two-hander. One to hold the beer and one to plug your nose while choking down.

1.06/5  rDev -63.8%

Appearance - like fizzy bear urine
Smell - slightly malty bear urine
Taste - was there?
Mouthfeel - about 2 seconds before spitting it out
Drinkability - erm no.

Simply foul and not worthy of the term "beer". I would rather never drink again than go anywhere near this muck again.

1.07/5  rDev -63.5%

Tried this for the first time the other day, I know its been around a long time. Light, water with an off flavor. Not a good taste at all. Awful choice with all the new beer out there. Marketed on sale very cheap often. Not worth it even for its low price.

1.12/5  rDev -61.8%

One of the first beers I tasted when I was in the US. Didn't know what beers were good or bad. Did I make the wrong choice. Whilst it looked ok in the glass the smell, taste and mouthfeel were all truly awful. It was like drinking cotton wool.
Avoid it at all costs.

1.12/5  rDev -61.8%

Light yellow color. The head is very large initially and retains fairly well considering it’s a macro. Unbelievably disgusting oceanic aroma (sea water, salt, seaweed) along with light grains and corn. Watery, corny flavor with hints of light grains and sauvignon blanc. Terrifying.

1.15/5  rDev -60.8%

Proof that hipsters are just being ironic, or moronic. This is bad stuff, tastes like day old beer that sat in a pewter mug overnight. Rough metallic taste that demands this beer be drank extremely cold and really fast. It's a good candidate if you have a bunch of extra salt and lime laying about.

1.19/5  rDev -59.4%

Whenever I drink PBR, I can feel the hangover headache already setting in.

1.23/5  rDev -58%

Terrible. Absolutely terrible. The only fans I know of this beer like it because its such a joke. The flavour has a faint maltiness that's mostly not present and no lace. It's mouthfeel is less viscous than water, the over-carbonation stings the tongue, and the skunkiness is UNREAL. It was a cross between rancid gone-off cocktail olives and the aftertaste of oral surgery. I found a sort of bitter aftertaste that left me far thirstier than a beer should. This beer has only served any purpose after many rounds of scotch and Guinness Extra Cold when one is still thirsty but broke, going at $3 a pitcher. Fans of craft beers, even American macro should stay away.

1.25/5  rDev -57.3%

Pabst, the first (and only time) I prematurely ejaculated BEFORE intercourse.

1.28/5  rDev -56.3%

I don't see why this is so popular, it tastes like any other cheap beer.

1.29/5  rDev -56%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

My friend returned from the kitchen with a cup full of what I thought was piss. He swore to me it wasn't, but I couldn't be sure. I smelled the "brew", and thought it was for sure urine. But I was thirsty, so I took a big gulp. My brain was telling me to spit it out and look for some real beer, but I was too polite and not drunk enough for such rash actions. Smells and tastes like water that has sat in a plastic bottle for two months. If there is anything that PBR is good for, it would be Keg Stands. One can drink this like water all day, and receive a blue ribbon for being the most low-class drinker around.

1.29/5  rDev -56%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Not the worst beer in the world. Kinda refreshing.

1.32/5  rDev -54.9%

Good ole PBR on tap! Hard to find but I did!!! Plum Crazy- on Garnett in PB (san diego)

I ordered pbr and several patrons around me started screaming!!! They were excited about me ordering a pbr!!!

Anyway, PBR (on tap) poured a decent murky yellow with a very thick white head. The head lasted almost half the beer!
The smell was skunked, badly! No one orders it I guess! Well, corn, grains, hops, and skunkiness.
The taste was of hops and skunkiness. bad batch!!!

I'm telling you PBR is great in a can and nothing else!!! I should of listened to the patrons screams!!!

1.32/5  rDev -54.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

If it's 110 degrees and your at the lake and you wanna be able to drink beer all day, then grab this. I really can't see any other time where it would be a good idea.

1.33/5  rDev -54.6%

I hadn't had one of these in a long time, but I was stuck at a concert with only this and Miller to choose from. So I decided to have this and pretend I was a young urban hipster, not a middle aged square dude.

I must say, my memory failed me completely. I had remembered PBR as OK. It is not. In fact, words fail me.

Here is my snap review, in its entirety, typed into my blackberry as I sampled the beer:

"taste like the weewee of a diabetic. Sweet and acidic."

What else can I add?

1.37/5  rDev -53.2%

There is not much to say about this beer except that it is pretty awful. I understand that has a history to it and to some people it is cool to drink. Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood will make any beer drinkable. Honestly this beer is only bearable if you are low on cash. The taste is very similar to a metallic can taste. It is pretty bitter. I would not recommend this beer to any serious beer drinker. Unfortunately I have had my share of PBRs. There really is no smell or taste which could be referable to something attractive. I do not enjoy this beer at all and if I had my way I will never have one again. I suppose this is the beer that got so many people smoking in bars. Cigarettes taste better than this brew.

1.39/5  rDev -52.6%

Not worth drinking if I had to

1.4/5  rDev -52.2%

Im stunned that this beer has been getting decent reviews! I decided to give PBR a go When I was dead broke, and could afford little else. This is the only beer, I repeat, Only beer that has ever made me feel nauseated from the get go. Its also the only ever beer, that I ever poured down the sink, and felt sorry for the fish that were about to recieve it. I`d never drink it again even if I were facing poverty! Pours a pale straw color that I anticipated given that its a macro. Mouthfeel was below average. Drinkabilty simply felt horrible from the onset.

Avoid at all costs!