Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,599 | Hads: 5,041

Why don't people understand that just because your dad and your dad's dad drank it doesn't mean its good. This beer shouldn't be shouldn't served, sold, or given away for free. This is pure butt pee in a can. Some one should petition congress and have there brewery shut down and burned. This a black eye on America's beer portfolio. I hate this beer. (351 characters)

Putrid, unpleasant, stale. All words that fit the bill for this one. The worst of the AAL pile in my opinion.

Would not seek out, purchase, or drink again. (156 characters)

I've tried this beer in the bottle and in the can. I've tried this beer so many times I could make a Dr. Seuss style book out of it (Not suitable for children).

I cannot figure out why my friends drink this. My best guess is that it's a joke. It's kind of like "icing." If you lose the game, you have to drink a PBR as punishment. Beer should never do that. Beer should enrich your life, not punish it.

The taste was mediocre, at best. It's just not worth it. It has a weak head, boring taste, and a sad little color. It's drinkable, if you're looking for a quick fix, but if you're looking for something to enjoy after a hard day's work, to relax, or to have a nice chat with your buds, this is not the beer for you. (720 characters)

This beer is so overrated. Too sweet, overly carbonated and has a weird chemical aftertaste. In your face and up yours, you silly hipsters!, you just go on and keep on drinking this crap, you and your shitty PBR are so pathetic. (228 characters)

This brew was the laughingstock at my graduate school department. I avoided it as long as I could but alas, I did eventually try it. It was rank right out of the bottle, and thankfully it had a more yellowish tinge than some other brews...and that's a very minor thankfully. There is no discernable smell to speak of nor is there any discernable taste. The mouthfeel is very watery with hints of carbonation. Overall this is not a beer that I would try again, nor is it a beer that I would recommend to others. (510 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -65.6%

Appearance - like fizzy bear urine
Smell - slightly malty bear urine
Taste - was there?
Mouthfeel - about 2 seconds before spitting it out
Drinkability - erm no.

Simply foul and not worthy of the term "beer". I would rather never drink again than go anywhere near this muck again. (281 characters)

1.07/5  rDev -65.3%

Tried this for the first time the other day, I know its been around a long time. Light, water with an off flavor. Not a good taste at all. Awful choice with all the new beer out there. Marketed on sale very cheap often. Not worth it even for its low price. (256 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -63.6%

One of the first beers I tasted when I was in the US. Didn't know what beers were good or bad. Did I make the wrong choice. Whilst it looked ok in the glass the smell, taste and mouthfeel were all truly awful. It was like drinking cotton wool.
Avoid it at all costs. (266 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -63.6%

Light yellow color. The head is very large initially and retains fairly well considering it’s a macro. Unbelievably disgusting oceanic aroma (sea water, salt, seaweed) along with light grains and corn. Watery, corny flavor with hints of light grains and sauvignon blanc. Terrifying. (283 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -62.7%

Proof that hipsters are just being ironic, or moronic. This is bad stuff, tastes like day old beer that sat in a pewter mug overnight. Rough metallic taste that demands this beer be drank extremely cold and really fast. It's a good candidate if you have a bunch of extra salt and lime laying about. (298 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -60.1%

Terrible. Absolutely terrible. The only fans I know of this beer like it because its such a joke. The flavour has a faint maltiness that's mostly not present and no lace. It's mouthfeel is less viscous than water, the over-carbonation stings the tongue, and the skunkiness is UNREAL. It was a cross between rancid gone-off cocktail olives and the aftertaste of oral surgery. I found a sort of bitter aftertaste that left me far thirstier than a beer should. This beer has only served any purpose after many rounds of scotch and Guinness Extra Cold when one is still thirsty but broke, going at $3 a pitcher. Fans of craft beers, even American macro should stay away. (666 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -58.4%

Cheap beer that's been around for a long time, got a can from my dad and I found out what all the hype behind this one was all about... And I was disappointed.
Drank from a can, I can't comment on the look.
Smelled of your average cheap beer, nice carbonation.
Tasted of... nothing. It tasted like most cheap beers I've had, like a Budweiser or a Busch.
It's not that I don't like a nice cold cheap beer on a hot summer day. But my expectations from what I've heard were not met. (480 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -58.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

My friend returned from the kitchen with a cup full of what I thought was piss. He swore to me it wasn't, but I couldn't be sure. I smelled the "brew", and thought it was for sure urine. But I was thirsty, so I took a big gulp. My brain was telling me to spit it out and look for some real beer, but I was too polite and not drunk enough for such rash actions. Smells and tastes like water that has sat in a plastic bottle for two months. If there is anything that PBR is good for, it would be Keg Stands. One can drink this like water all day, and receive a blue ribbon for being the most low-class drinker around. (615 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -57.1%

Good ole PBR on tap! Hard to find but I did!!! Plum Crazy- on Garnett in PB (san diego)

I ordered pbr and several patrons around me started screaming!!! They were excited about me ordering a pbr!!!

Anyway, PBR (on tap) poured a decent murky yellow with a very thick white head. The head lasted almost half the beer!
The smell was skunked, badly! No one orders it I guess! Well, corn, grains, hops, and skunkiness.
The taste was of hops and skunkiness. bad batch!!!

I'm telling you PBR is great in a can and nothing else!!! I should of listened to the patrons screams!!! (580 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

If it's 110 degrees and your at the lake and you wanna be able to drink beer all day, then grab this. I really can't see any other time where it would be a good idea. (166 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -56.8%

I hadn't had one of these in a long time, but I was stuck at a concert with only this and Miller to choose from. So I decided to have this and pretend I was a young urban hipster, not a middle aged square dude.

I must say, my memory failed me completely. I had remembered PBR as OK. It is not. In fact, words fail me.

Here is my snap review, in its entirety, typed into my blackberry as I sampled the beer:

"taste like the weewee of a diabetic. Sweet and acidic."

What else can I add? (488 characters)

1.37/5  rDev -55.5%

There is not much to say about this beer except that it is pretty awful. I understand that has a history to it and to some people it is cool to drink. Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood will make any beer drinkable. Honestly this beer is only bearable if you are low on cash. The taste is very similar to a metallic can taste. It is pretty bitter. I would not recommend this beer to any serious beer drinker. Unfortunately I have had my share of PBRs. There really is no smell or taste which could be referable to something attractive. I do not enjoy this beer at all and if I had my way I will never have one again. I suppose this is the beer that got so many people smoking in bars. Cigarettes taste better than this brew. (721 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -54.5%

Im stunned that this beer has been getting decent reviews! I decided to give PBR a go When I was dead broke, and could afford little else. This is the only beer, I repeat, Only beer that has ever made me feel nauseated from the get go. Its also the only ever beer, that I ever poured down the sink, and felt sorry for the fish that were about to recieve it. I`d never drink it again even if I were facing poverty! Pours a pale straw color that I anticipated given that its a macro. Mouthfeel was below average. Drinkabilty simply felt horrible from the onset.

Avoid at all costs! (580 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -54.5%

This beer is just not good. I bought this because it has decent ratings on this site, but I hated every second of this beer. The appearance and smell are very boring a bland, nothing special at all. The taste is the worst part of this beer IMO. It is like water with a slight rice and corn taste on the finish. The mouthfell is very carbonated and boring. Overall this is a boring beer. It is still better than any BMC, but still not good at all. (446 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -54.5%

This brew poured a small head of quickly disappearing fine to large sized white bubbles and a carbonated straw yellow body. It has a mild malt-hop aroma with a mild fizzy flavor of wheat and bread. It was smooth initially and had a lingering slightly bitter aftertaste. (269 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -53.9%

A: Extremely typical macro-brewed lager appearance: Clear straw yellow with some frothy white head.

S: Very strange artificial yeast smell with a good helping of cooked veggies. It became nauseating to dwell on the smell.

T: Again, the nauseating yeast flavor with lots of corn and a metallic aftertaste.

M: Crisp; frothy head gave it a odd coffee-foam like texture though.

D: Easily one of the toughest beers for me to choke down. I can't find much good to say about this beer but I'll refrain from bashing it. (518 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -53.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

4.9% ABV, 355ml can.
juz a lighter version of any other crappy cheap lager, similar taste. but u have to have them in our life, right? especially after whole day work, refreshing when it's freezed! (197 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -52.9%

First had: can from some dude's cooler.

Yay! Cheap beer!

Pours a pale yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates to a fizzy layer of bubbles. Weak aroma of corn and grains, memories of pitchers and cheap dates. Tastes the same: corn, grains, watered down grass juice with the possibility of a hop sneaking in. Light mouthfeel, and goes down eeeeaaasssyyyy and ends with regret, but a still-full wallet. Should be avoided unless absolutely necessary and/or you're broke. (475 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -52.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

I'm sorry, but it's all I can do to keep from laughing at the new found "hipness" of PBR.

The beer pours a light gold color with virtually no head retention or lacing. Eeeeehaaaa!!! We be in for one fine tasting beer here. On the nose... nose??? aroma??? What in the hell are we talking about? I get nothing, other then a hint of seltzer water and corn. At least there aren't any off aromas, so I guess I should be thankful for that. As for flavor, there is almost none. I highly recommend that you drink this as cold as you can get it, preferably somewhere close to freezing. There is some corn and seltzer water on the palate, though again, I get no off flavors. Mouthfeel epitomizes the expression "watery." Yeah baby, we're talking lawn mower beer here. Ideally this beer should be consumed in 100 degree weather, served ice cold, and consumed only after 4 or 5 hours of yard work. Drinkability? Hey, I love a good joke as much as the next guy. There is nothing enjoyable about drinking this swill, and the fact it has become trendy of late doesn't change that one bit.

This is a terrrible beer, and the fact there is worse out there doesn't make it any more deserving of praise. Absolute swill. As one complimentary reviewer mentioned, the empties are great for target practice the next morning. Frankly, I can't see any reason to make them empties. Full of beer or empty, target practice is all cans of this swill is good for. Don't kid yourself with the hype. This is not even remotely close to decent beer. (1,518 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -51.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Can: Poured a very light yellow color beer with a medium white bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of corn and adjunct is not surprisingly dominating. Taste is as bland as it can be done with no aftertaste at all (which is probably the purpose but does not provide me with any satisfaction. (296 characters)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company