Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,620 | Hads: 5,136
1.23/5  rDev -59.1%

Terrible. Absolutely terrible. The only fans I know of this beer like it because its such a joke. The flavour has a faint maltiness that's mostly not present and no lace. It's mouthfeel is less viscous than water, the over-carbonation stings the tongue, and the skunkiness is UNREAL. It was a cross between rancid gone-off cocktail olives and the aftertaste of oral surgery. I found a sort of bitter aftertaste that left me far thirstier than a beer should. This beer has only served any purpose after many rounds of scotch and Guinness Extra Cold when one is still thirsty but broke, going at $3 a pitcher. Fans of craft beers, even American macro should stay away.

1.28/5  rDev -57.5%

Cheap beer that's been around for a long time, got a can from my dad and I found out what all the hype behind this one was all about... And I was disappointed.
Drank from a can, I can't comment on the look.
Smelled of your average cheap beer, nice carbonation.
Tasted of... nothing. It tasted like most cheap beers I've had, like a Budweiser or a Busch.
It's not that I don't like a nice cold cheap beer on a hot summer day. But my expectations from what I've heard were not met.

1.29/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

My friend returned from the kitchen with a cup full of what I thought was piss. He swore to me it wasn't, but I couldn't be sure. I smelled the "brew", and thought it was for sure urine. But I was thirsty, so I took a big gulp. My brain was telling me to spit it out and look for some real beer, but I was too polite and not drunk enough for such rash actions. Smells and tastes like water that has sat in a plastic bottle for two months. If there is anything that PBR is good for, it would be Keg Stands. One can drink this like water all day, and receive a blue ribbon for being the most low-class drinker around.

1.32/5  rDev -56.1%

Good ole PBR on tap! Hard to find but I did!!! Plum Crazy- on Garnett in PB (san diego)

I ordered pbr and several patrons around me started screaming!!! They were excited about me ordering a pbr!!!

Anyway, PBR (on tap) poured a decent murky yellow with a very thick white head. The head lasted almost half the beer!
The smell was skunked, badly! No one orders it I guess! Well, corn, grains, hops, and skunkiness.
The taste was of hops and skunkiness. bad batch!!!

I'm telling you PBR is great in a can and nothing else!!! I should of listened to the patrons screams!!!

1.32/5  rDev -56.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

If it's 110 degrees and your at the lake and you wanna be able to drink beer all day, then grab this. I really can't see any other time where it would be a good idea.

1.33/5  rDev -55.8%

I hadn't had one of these in a long time, but I was stuck at a concert with only this and Miller to choose from. So I decided to have this and pretend I was a young urban hipster, not a middle aged square dude.

I must say, my memory failed me completely. I had remembered PBR as OK. It is not. In fact, words fail me.

Here is my snap review, in its entirety, typed into my blackberry as I sampled the beer:

"taste like the weewee of a diabetic. Sweet and acidic."

What else can I add?

1.37/5  rDev -54.5%

There is not much to say about this beer except that it is pretty awful. I understand that has a history to it and to some people it is cool to drink. Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood will make any beer drinkable. Honestly this beer is only bearable if you are low on cash. The taste is very similar to a metallic can taste. It is pretty bitter. I would not recommend this beer to any serious beer drinker. Unfortunately I have had my share of PBRs. There really is no smell or taste which could be referable to something attractive. I do not enjoy this beer at all and if I had my way I will never have one again. I suppose this is the beer that got so many people smoking in bars. Cigarettes taste better than this brew.

1.4/5  rDev -53.5%

Im stunned that this beer has been getting decent reviews! I decided to give PBR a go When I was dead broke, and could afford little else. This is the only beer, I repeat, Only beer that has ever made me feel nauseated from the get go. Its also the only ever beer, that I ever poured down the sink, and felt sorry for the fish that were about to recieve it. I`d never drink it again even if I were facing poverty! Pours a pale straw color that I anticipated given that its a macro. Mouthfeel was below average. Drinkabilty simply felt horrible from the onset.

Avoid at all costs!

1.4/5  rDev -53.5%

This beer is just not good. I bought this because it has decent ratings on this site, but I hated every second of this beer. The appearance and smell are very boring a bland, nothing special at all. The taste is the worst part of this beer IMO. It is like water with a slight rice and corn taste on the finish. The mouthfell is very carbonated and boring. Overall this is a boring beer. It is still better than any BMC, but still not good at all.

1.4/5  rDev -53.5%

This brew poured a small head of quickly disappearing fine to large sized white bubbles and a carbonated straw yellow body. It has a mild malt-hop aroma with a mild fizzy flavor of wheat and bread. It was smooth initially and had a lingering slightly bitter aftertaste.

1.42/5  rDev -52.8%

A: Extremely typical macro-brewed lager appearance: Clear straw yellow with some frothy white head.

S: Very strange artificial yeast smell with a good helping of cooked veggies. It became nauseating to dwell on the smell.

T: Again, the nauseating yeast flavor with lots of corn and a metallic aftertaste.

M: Crisp; frothy head gave it a odd coffee-foam like texture though.

D: Easily one of the toughest beers for me to choke down. I can't find much good to say about this beer but I'll refrain from bashing it.

1.43/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

4.9% ABV, 355ml can.
juz a lighter version of any other crappy cheap lager, similar taste. but u have to have them in our life, right? especially after whole day work, refreshing when it's freezed!

1.45/5  rDev -51.8%

First had: can from some dude's cooler.

Yay! Cheap beer!

Pours a pale yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates to a fizzy layer of bubbles. Weak aroma of corn and grains, memories of pitchers and cheap dates. Tastes the same: corn, grains, watered down grass juice with the possibility of a hop sneaking in. Light mouthfeel, and goes down eeeeaaasssyyyy and ends with regret, but a still-full wallet. Should be avoided unless absolutely necessary and/or you're broke.

1.45/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

I'm sorry, but it's all I can do to keep from laughing at the new found "hipness" of PBR.

The beer pours a light gold color with virtually no head retention or lacing. Eeeeehaaaa!!! We be in for one fine tasting beer here. On the nose... nose??? aroma??? What in the hell are we talking about? I get nothing, other then a hint of seltzer water and corn. At least there aren't any off aromas, so I guess I should be thankful for that. As for flavor, there is almost none. I highly recommend that you drink this as cold as you can get it, preferably somewhere close to freezing. There is some corn and seltzer water on the palate, though again, I get no off flavors. Mouthfeel epitomizes the expression "watery." Yeah baby, we're talking lawn mower beer here. Ideally this beer should be consumed in 100 degree weather, served ice cold, and consumed only after 4 or 5 hours of yard work. Drinkability? Hey, I love a good joke as much as the next guy. There is nothing enjoyable about drinking this swill, and the fact it has become trendy of late doesn't change that one bit.

This is a terrrible beer, and the fact there is worse out there doesn't make it any more deserving of praise. Absolute swill. As one complimentary reviewer mentioned, the empties are great for target practice the next morning. Frankly, I can't see any reason to make them empties. Full of beer or empty, target practice is all cans of this swill is good for. Don't kid yourself with the hype. This is not even remotely close to decent beer.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Can: Poured a very light yellow color beer with a medium white bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of corn and adjunct is not surprisingly dominating. Taste is as bland as it can be done with no aftertaste at all (which is probably the purpose but does not provide me with any satisfaction.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of the shittiest beers out there, i cant stand the after taste , that after taste you get just ruins it for me , all you get is corn and metallic taste , never buying this corn cooler again. I would much perefer a budweiser or busch to this at least your not geting that terrable after taste

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I see that the reviewers gave PBR a 72 rating & the Bros an 80 rating. And the reviewers gave Beck's a 67 rating & the Bros a 62 rating. Are you all nuts?!! Beck's now may be owned by InBev & brewed in St. Louis, MO. But I recently called Beck's brewmaster & he assured me that they were still brewing to the German Purity Law, which means they're only using water, barley malt, hops & yeast. I'm sure Pabst isn't doing the same. I know why all of you are rating Pabst higher than Beck's. It has nothing to do with PBR's quality. Rather, it's the "pseudo-hipster's" rating, i.e. "PBR is 'cooler' than Beck's because it doesn't advertise & has the patriotic U.S. colors of red, white & blue." C'mon everyone - get real. No way is PBR better tasting than Beck's. And no, I don't work for Beck's & I'm not German. However, I've brewed my own beers & know a bit of what I'm talking about.

Good ol' PBR.

Pours out a very bright and clear yellow with a little bit of white head.

The aroma is slightly malty with hints of grains.

The taste is much the same as the aroma. There is a slight hint of malt along with a taste of grains whether it's rice or corn or both.

Very light and easy to drink, but the flavor is nothing to write home about. Better than some other macro lagers, but not by much.

1.51/5  rDev -49.8%

Pours a simple light copper with a thin white head and no lcaing whatsoever. Smells like a decent macro-lager, but nothing special. Tastes like water with a pinch of grain mixed in. No complexity, and no flavor. So bland I could barely finish it. I used to like this is, but no more. Avoid.

1.53/5  rDev -49.2%

When first pouring from it's can, the foam was a very light wheat color/ almost white that dissapated quickly followed by the pale malt aroma with a metallic tone (probably from the can). Taste - It has mostly a crisp light malt taste that feels watered down with also metallic flavor.
A friend of mine drinks this beer often and offers me one now and then. At first I tried to get used to the taste(if you call it that). But now I can't stand it. It's probably one of the worst beers I've had.

1.53/5  rDev -49.2%

A Pale yellow and fairly translucent. Light white and utterly lacking retention with a permanent sticky lace

S Weak notes of hopps and grain

T Very hoppy with almost no grain. Weak and watery with a hint of tin foil. Yes. Tin foil.

MF A bit harsh and soapy.

Drinkability is fairly low. The sour bitter sting of hopps seems not quite right.

Overall this beer is not something i'd buy, but I still like it over other macros such as the dreaded bud. If nothing else i'll drink it in honor of blue velvet. PBR!

1.53/5  rDev -49.2%

There is no reason anyone should pay to drink PBR. Even for college students buying a keg, I would be embarrased to tell people I bought this beer. It stinks and tastes foul. Its only saving grace is when the beer comes from a bar tap, possibly because it is fresher (I hope), but coming from a can, run from this beer.

With other options on the grocery shelf--namely Miller High Life and Milwaukee Best Light--the low price is not even a saving grace. Some people get used to the taste from buying the cheap beer on the shelf, but I honestly can't support anyone even 'tasting' this beer.

1.55/5  rDev -48.5%

Can poured into a lager glass.

Appearance - White one finger head with good retention. Super pale straw body.

Smell - Stale cardboard.

Taste - Dry. Metallic. Horrible even for an AAL.

Mouthfeel - Watery mess.

Overall Drinkability - Crap. No real redeeming qualities besides the price. Even that doesn't balance out the worthiness of this brew.

1.56/5  rDev -48.2%

I do not see what the hype is about this beer aside from the fact that its cheap. But so are Natural light and Milwaukee's best. It tastes salty and does not feel good on the palate. It sets really heavy too. I will spend the extra money to get a better quality beer any day.

1.58/5  rDev -47.5%

My first PBR in decades:
Ap. Pale yellow with a small head that just got smaller in a hurry. No lacing.
Sm. Beer. Cheap. Grains, smells yellow!, corn? earth? Got it!!! It smells like Wisconsin in the summer of '72!
Ta. See above. A bit harsh.
Mf. Very very little mouthfeel. Like drinking a beer flavored glass of water.
Dr. If necessary. Aah, memories....

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company