1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,695 | Reviews: 1,466 | Show All Ratings:
Seanibus

1.3/5  rDev -55.9%

I hadn't had one of these in a long time, but I was stuck at a concert with only this and Miller to choose from. So I decided to have this and pretend I was a young urban hipster, not a middle aged square dude.

I must say, my memory failed me completely. I had remembered PBR as OK. It is not. In fact, words fail me.

Here is my snap review, in its entirety, typed into my blackberry as I sampled the beer:

"taste like the weewee of a diabetic. Sweet and acidic."

What else can I add?

04-21-2009 17:31:35 | More by Seanibus
startreker

1.35/5  rDev -54.2%

Im stunned that this beer has been getting decent reviews! I decided to give PBR a go When I was dead broke, and could afford little else. This is the only beer, I repeat, Only beer that has ever made me feel nauseated from the get go. Its also the only ever beer, that I ever poured down the sink, and felt sorry for the fish that were about to recieve it. I`d never drink it again even if I were facing poverty! Pours a pale straw color that I anticipated given that its a macro. Mouthfeel was below average. Drinkabilty simply felt horrible from the onset.

Avoid at all costs!

08-14-2011 02:08:12 | More by startreker
gtermi

1.35/5  rDev -54.2%

This beer is just not good. I bought this because it has decent ratings on this site, but I hated every second of this beer. The appearance and smell are very boring a bland, nothing special at all. The taste is the worst part of this beer IMO. It is like water with a slight rice and corn taste on the finish. The mouthfell is very carbonated and boring. Overall this is a boring beer. It is still better than any BMC, but still not good at all.

09-27-2011 04:57:17 | More by gtermi
bastardface

1.38/5  rDev -53.2%

There is not much to say about this beer except that it is pretty awful. I understand that has a history to it and to some people it is cool to drink. Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood will make any beer drinkable. Honestly this beer is only bearable if you are low on cash. The taste is very similar to a metallic can taste. It is pretty bitter. I would not recommend this beer to any serious beer drinker. Unfortunately I have had my share of PBRs. There really is no smell or taste which could be referable to something attractive. I do not enjoy this beer at all and if I had my way I will never have one again. I suppose this is the beer that got so many people smoking in bars. Cigarettes taste better than this brew.

10-31-2010 22:44:27 | More by bastardface
TheDM

Indiana

1.43/5  rDev -51.5%

This brew poured a small head of quickly disappearing fine to large sized white bubbles and a carbonated straw yellow body. It has a mild malt-hop aroma with a mild fizzy flavor of wheat and bread. It was smooth initially and had a lingering slightly bitter aftertaste.

06-25-2003 15:30:21 | More by TheDM
santoslhalper

1.43/5  rDev -51.5%

Pours a simple light copper with a thin white head and no lcaing whatsoever. Smells like a decent macro-lager, but nothing special. Tastes like water with a pinch of grain mixed in. No complexity, and no flavor. So bland I could barely finish it. I used to like this is, but no more. Avoid.

12-01-2004 23:38:47 | More by santoslhalper
thekanna

Maryland

1.43/5  rDev -51.5%

A: Extremely typical macro-brewed lager appearance: Clear straw yellow with some frothy white head.

S: Very strange artificial yeast smell with a good helping of cooked veggies. It became nauseating to dwell on the smell.

T: Again, the nauseating yeast flavor with lots of corn and a metallic aftertaste.

M: Crisp; frothy head gave it a odd coffee-foam like texture though.

D: Easily one of the toughest beers for me to choke down. I can't find much good to say about this beer but I'll refrain from bashing it.

08-25-2009 03:17:08 | More by thekanna
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

1.45/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

I'm sorry, but it's all I can do to keep from laughing at the new found "hipness" of PBR.

The beer pours a light gold color with virtually no head retention or lacing. Eeeeehaaaa!!! We be in for one fine tasting beer here. On the nose... nose??? aroma??? What in the hell are we talking about? I get nothing, other then a hint of seltzer water and corn. At least there aren't any off aromas, so I guess I should be thankful for that. As for flavor, there is almost none. I highly recommend that you drink this as cold as you can get it, preferably somewhere close to freezing. There is some corn and seltzer water on the palate, though again, I get no off flavors. Mouthfeel epitomizes the expression "watery." Yeah baby, we're talking lawn mower beer here. Ideally this beer should be consumed in 100 degree weather, served ice cold, and consumed only after 4 or 5 hours of yard work. Drinkability? Hey, I love a good joke as much as the next guy. There is nothing enjoyable about drinking this swill, and the fact it has become trendy of late doesn't change that one bit.

This is a terrrible beer, and the fact there is worse out there doesn't make it any more deserving of praise. Absolute swill. As one complimentary reviewer mentioned, the empties are great for target practice the next morning. Frankly, I can't see any reason to make them empties. Full of beer or empty, target practice is all cans of this swill is good for. Don't kid yourself with the hype. This is not even remotely close to decent beer.

12-02-2008 06:13:21 | More by johnmichaelsen
Monsteruss

Colorado

1.48/5  rDev -49.8%

When first pouring from it's can, the foam was a very light wheat color/ almost white that dissapated quickly followed by the pale malt aroma with a metallic tone (probably from the can). Taste - It has mostly a crisp light malt taste that feels watered down with also metallic flavor.
A friend of mine drinks this beer often and offers me one now and then. At first I tried to get used to the taste(if you call it that). But now I can't stand it. It's probably one of the worst beers I've had.

04-10-2009 01:46:47 | More by Monsteruss
Rifugium

1.48/5  rDev -49.8%

First had: can from some dude's cooler.

Yay! Cheap beer!

Pours a pale yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates to a fizzy layer of bubbles. Weak aroma of corn and grains, memories of pitchers and cheap dates. Tastes the same: corn, grains, watered down grass juice with the possibility of a hop sneaking in. Light mouthfeel, and goes down eeeeaaasssyyyy and ends with regret, but a still-full wallet. Should be avoided unless absolutely necessary and/or you're broke.

05-24-2011 17:47:24 | More by Rifugium
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Can: Poured a very light yellow color beer with a medium white bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of corn and adjunct is not surprisingly dominating. Taste is as bland as it can be done with no aftertaste at all (which is probably the purpose but does not provide me with any satisfaction.

09-25-2006 18:07:14 | More by Phyl21ca
numinorian

1.5/5  rDev -49.2%

A Pale yellow and fairly translucent. Light white and utterly lacking retention with a permanent sticky lace

S Weak notes of hopps and grain

T Very hoppy with almost no grain. Weak and watery with a hint of tin foil. Yes. Tin foil.

MF A bit harsh and soapy.

Drinkability is fairly low. The sour bitter sting of hopps seems not quite right.

Overall this beer is not something i'd buy, but I still like it over other macros such as the dreaded bud. If nothing else i'll drink it in honor of blue velvet. PBR!

03-28-2009 03:31:39 | More by numinorian
JohnnyMc

Good ol' PBR.

Pours out a very bright and clear yellow with a little bit of white head.

The aroma is slightly malty with hints of grains.

The taste is much the same as the aroma. There is a slight hint of malt along with a taste of grains whether it's rice or corn or both.

Very light and easy to drink, but the flavor is nothing to write home about. Better than some other macro lagers, but not by much.

07-19-2012 02:41:01 | More by JohnnyMc
Polecat41

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I see that the reviewers gave PBR a 72 rating & the Bros an 80 rating. And the reviewers gave Beck's a 67 rating & the Bros a 62 rating. Are you all nuts?!! Beck's now may be owned by InBev & brewed in St. Louis, MO. But I recently called Beck's brewmaster & he assured me that they were still brewing to the German Purity Law, which means they're only using water, barley malt, hops & yeast. I'm sure Pabst isn't doing the same. I know why all of you are rating Pabst higher than Beck's. It has nothing to do with PBR's quality. Rather, it's the "pseudo-hipster's" rating, i.e. "PBR is 'cooler' than Beck's because it doesn't advertise & has the patriotic U.S. colors of red, white & blue." C'mon everyone - get real. No way is PBR better tasting than Beck's. And no, I don't work for Beck's & I'm not German. However, I've brewed my own beers & know a bit of what I'm talking about.

07-28-2012 19:36:29 | More by Polecat41
Jamesp96

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of the shittiest beers out there, i cant stand the after taste , that after taste you get just ruins it for me , all you get is corn and metallic taste , never buying this corn cooler again. I would much perefer a budweiser or busch to this at least your not geting that terrable after taste

12-20-2012 22:53:55 | More by Jamesp96
yankiac

Maryland

1.53/5  rDev -48.1%

I do not see what the hype is about this beer aside from the fact that its cheap. But so are Natural light and Milwaukee's best. It tastes salty and does not feel good on the palate. It sets really heavy too. I will spend the extra money to get a better quality beer any day.

03-12-2009 17:51:38 | More by yankiac
ZenAgnostic

1.53/5  rDev -48.1%

Can poured into a lager glass.

Appearance - White one finger head with good retention. Super pale straw body.

Smell - Stale cardboard.

Taste - Dry. Metallic. Horrible even for an AAL.

Mouthfeel - Watery mess.

Overall Drinkability - Crap. No real redeeming qualities besides the price. Even that doesn't balance out the worthiness of this brew.

04-11-2011 09:31:01 | More by ZenAgnostic
dubman003

New Hampshire

1.55/5  rDev -47.5%

There is no reason anyone should pay to drink PBR. Even for college students buying a keg, I would be embarrased to tell people I bought this beer. It stinks and tastes foul. Its only saving grace is when the beer comes from a bar tap, possibly because it is fresher (I hope), but coming from a can, run from this beer.

With other options on the grocery shelf--namely Miller High Life and Milwaukee Best Light--the low price is not even a saving grace. Some people get used to the taste from buying the cheap beer on the shelf, but I honestly can't support anyone even 'tasting' this beer.

04-12-2006 01:04:59 | More by dubman003
erz316

Indiana

1.55/5  rDev -47.5%

ah, the classic hipster drink.

well, considering the metal tap and mouth opening makes the brunt of the taste I would say this is worse than the bud cans. the feel and colour and the drinkability is the same in comparison to the standard nonlight versions of the macros.

01-18-2010 23:35:09 | More by erz316
deaconoflove

1.58/5  rDev -46.4%

My first PBR in decades:
Ap. Pale yellow with a small head that just got smaller in a hurry. No lacing.
Sm. Beer. Cheap. Grains, smells yellow!, corn? earth? Got it!!! It smells like Wisconsin in the summer of '72!
Ta. See above. A bit harsh.
Mf. Very very little mouthfeel. Like drinking a beer flavored glass of water.
Dr. If necessary. Aah, memories....

01-28-2010 22:28:25 | More by deaconoflove
LiquidSanity

1.6/5  rDev -45.8%

Serving from the pint cans normally found in the grocery store in a glass mug.

Ap: Very typical and generic adjunct lager transparent straw yellow. Virtually no lacing and a tiny amount of head that lasts no longer than a fart.

Ar: I don't grasp any significant smell. Just a metallic and faint odor of lackluster corn/syrup smell. Void of character.

Ta: This is where it becomes rather interesting. While you would expect the typical adjunct lager criticism, it is a refreshing beer. However, it is short lived as the beer becomes warm. Drinking a pint's worth diminishes the value of the beer since it requires you chug the beer. Thus the infamy of the beer that it is the perfect college/frat boy beer. You need to consume it fast and in large quantities to enjoy. This is not a sipping beer. You'll gather flavors of the typical corn adjuncts and very metallic aftertastes.

Mf: It's in my mouth...it's like a very inexpensive champagne. The carbonation is mild and you must decide whether to spit it out or swallow it quickly. You're SOL either way so you may as well swallow it.

Ov: It lacks true character, true distinguishable flavor and is nothing more than a party beer, beginner beer or beer of choice to ensure everyone in the party gets wasted. Once you develop a true appreciation for beer, it becomes difficult to indulge in PBR. Leave it for the rookies, but if you must drink it, drink it super cold and very quickly.

02-28-2012 04:45:44 | More by LiquidSanity
TastyTaste

1.63/5  rDev -44.7%

Light yellow color with a head the quickly dissipates into nothing. Smell is bursting with grainy maltiness and skunk. You can almost see the old guys in the ice house. A very grainy, malty flavor. No hops traces at all. This is not a very good beer. Not a good value, either, at $7.99 for a 12 pack.

03-15-2004 21:57:32 | More by TastyTaste
collegemate

1.63/5  rDev -44.7%

Okay.

I encounter this garbage all the time at parties and it is absolutely atrocious in every way imaginable. I will never understand the love for this beer. One day when I was six years old I drank cat urine because these older kids dared me to do so, and it just so happens that the consumption of this abomination of a beer acts as a time warp back to that day. I'm saying PBR tastes like cat urine. It truly does. The appearance of the beer is very unsettling even when I'm drunk. If I look at it, the liquid itself (not to mention the can), makes me feel uneasy and nauseous.

The smell is horrid, though admittedly it is not as bad as the aroma of cat urine (leave that to the taste). The mouthfeel is just plain bad. And, making things worse, PBR is entirely unchuggable- leaving the presence of PBR and the absence of every other beer at parties extremely devastating.You can't even chug it because the taste is so painful to the tongue. It is low content, making the suffering of drinking it practically pointless.

If you want a crappy American beer, choose Busch.

08-13-2008 03:51:51 | More by collegemate
semihobo

1.65/5  rDev -44.1%

I got really thirsty at a volleyball tournament before coming home to a PBR ... probably a good idea.

Pours with a big ugly head that drops quickly but, to its credit, leaves an good layer on top and some lace around the edges. Very pale yellow, few bubble columns .. eh.

Smells like corn and adjuncts. At least it doesn't smell very strongly... no hops or "malts" in the traditional sense.

Taste is gross. Bad corn and that overpowering taste that is in the worst of beers, the one that makes you flinch and make a face. Is that just "adjuncts?" Bitter finish that encourages puking.

Hard to separate the mouthfeel from the taste, but I don't think it's that bad. Starts off too bubbly, gets flatter as it warms, so according to the intermediate value theorem, there has to be a good balance in there somewhere. Still nothing pleasant.

I feel I should give some sympathy points on drinkability. It is cheap, although not especially for the style "American Macro Lager." About average for the field of extremely cheap beer. For a beer that's meant to get you trashed, I wish the finish weren't so gross ... it encourages vomiting when you want to keep it down.

I'll drink it at college parties, and it's maybe a step above Milwaukee's Best or Natty.

09-14-2005 00:07:59 | More by semihobo
rye726

Colorado

1.68/5  rDev -43.1%

Not a bad macro lager and a good deal at $30 a keg. This is a good one to drink if you don't want to experience much. It is golden yellow with a tan head. Not much of a smell. Some bad hops. The taste is very neutral. Not as bad a most of this style. Feel is very light with ample carbonation. No bad off flavors, but not much flavor at all either.

05-05-2008 05:17:12 | More by rye726