Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Clear and gold with little to no head. No real lacing either.

Smell: Perhaps a mild hop smell, but nothing too special.

Taste: Although it's a fairly standard adjunct beer, it does have a small but decent kick to it.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery. Not impressed.

Drinkability: This isn't bad. It's not the best thing I've ever had, but it has its charm.

civilizedpsycho, Jul 18, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -8.2%

This beer has always been my standard go-to when I need the least crappy cheap-o lager for a party. It is better than the rest of the swill you can buy for this price.

Obviously, this is not the type of beer you drink to savor the flavor profile and inhale the heady smells with subtle undertones...this is a "get drunk" beer, and there is no shame in that.

So, compared to other bad adjunct lagers, its decent. Smooth taste with no nasty sticky feeling, and not overcarbonated. Smell is a little nasty though, of cheap dry grains.

brokennedy120, Aug 16, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is one of the better adjunct lagers I've had. It's a little too sweet, probably because the adjunct ingredient happens to be corn syrup. Not as carbonated as BMC beers and looks a tad better. Still not great smelling though. Not as much of a corn, skunk, metal flavor like you'd expect.

Not a bad beer if it's found cheap.

Kyle_Hanson, Nov 09, 2013
2.7/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale yellow with some head, but no lacing. Smells mildly of hops (though I was straining to smell them) with some grainy malt. Nothing really stands out from the flavour, but cleaner than many other macro lagers. Carbonation is a bit prickly.

kwjd, Sep 20, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -8.2%

A: Pours a nice straw color, with about a fingers worth of head that disappears way to soon. In my opinion it looks good for an Adjunct Lager.

S: Pretty typical malt and cereal grain smell

T: A bit of a let down, A bit of sweetness, a hint of malt and grain, I think I tasted a hop...one hop in a Sixteen ounce can. It's just a hair above Bud for flavor.

M: Light bodied, very light bodied, just a hair above water.

O: I'm rather disappointed, don't get me wrong I wasn't hoping for craft brew quality, but I was hoping for a decent beer. PBR is barely above Budweiser as far a brews go. Oh well pretty average for an adjunct lager.

KJay1408, Sep 29, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -8.2%

I decided to try this once and for all just so I can answer back when I say that it is beer for wannabe hipster poseurs who drank it in and attempt to lend themselves and air of ironic nostalgia, and not because it is a particularly good beer, and people reply: "Have you even tried it?" and assume they've won the argument when I say no.

Holy run-on sentence.

In the glass this is a clear, pallid light golden color with a thin head that dissipates down to nothing in short order.

The aroma is faint grains, very clean, very weak.

The taste is vapid. There's so little flavor that really all I can taste is a straw like carbonation. Sort of tastes like a liquid soda cracker. There is just a suggesting of bitterness. Finishes bright and dry.

Light bodied and well carbonated.

About the best thing I can say is that this is a good beer for people who don't like beer in that it doesn't have a whole lot of taste to it whatsoever. Really, PBR is a beer in the same way that beige is a color.

At least now I can say that I've tried it and it confirms my suspicions that people drink it because it's trendy. Not because it's especially good.

MeisterBurger, Dec 31, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a light golden color with a thing bubbly light white head.

Smell is pretty light, not much going on. Maybe a little hops aroma, not much else.

Taste is very smooth and light. Light malt, light hops. A decent adjunct lager. For the money, a decent beer.

Smooth thin mouthfeel, decent.

Average drinkability, not bad, not great.,

pmccallum86, Jan 17, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance: It's light yellow. There's some head retention and a little lacing. It settles down to form a thin foam layer on top of the beer - looks like a normal lager.

Smell: Early on, right after it's opened, my sample smelled like match heads and sewage. I'm not sure what they're doing to this brew in Wisconsin, but it's not smelling great.

Taste: it tastes OK. Taste is there early. A little bit of corn, but not overwhelming. It's a weak enough flavor that it's not offensive. A little grain, slight creaminess, then well water taste. Not as overtly metallic as Stroh's, and not as creamy as Genny. A little edgier than Genny. The best I can say: it doesn't taste too much like corn or pool water.

Mouthfeel: not that interesting; pretty nominal.

Drinkability: great if you don't mind the smell. There's not much to overwhelm you here.

scuppers, Mar 20, 2009
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

It's been a little too long since I drank a PBR, maybe because of the beer snobbery that has taken over me. That's too bad because this one can get a bad rap since its the chaepest beer around and its the beer many of our father's drank. Not too bad. Typical macro, corn taste and smell, not too overwhelming. Pours a fine head with nice carbonation. Definitely easy enough to drink. A fine example of a true American historical beer.

Backer2004, Jul 10, 2005
2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

Well, after the thread a few days ago about "why PBR has become cool", I figured that since I had the time and lack of anything better to do, I would give one another whirl. I had to buy a warm sixer of SNPA, so I needed a lubricant of sorts that was already cold before the Ale cooled off a little. You see, I was away from home and bored as all hell in the billeting room I was in. This is the story:

A - Didn't have a glass nor the will to separate this from it's metallic delivery vessel. I have seen it in a glass before, and I can assure you that it is bold golden yellow with a thick foamy head if poured with any aggression at all

S - Syrupy malty thickness amongst the corn wallop that ensues. Sweet as well. When I was like 10, I toured the actual Pabst brewery in Milwaukee. This smelled just like the brewery. Kinda neat. Kinda sad.

T - Much like the smell of this brew, it tasted sweet and demanded far more attention than its American Adjunct contemporaries. At least with this one, they make an effort to give it a more balanced taste.

M - Highly carbonated and a little thick and fuzzy on the tongue.

You could do a hell lot worse when it comes to a BMC or adjunct at all. Even though this is review was for the can (that's right, the BIG can. Yes sir!) I have had this on tap as well, and it is far more refreshing than anything with Bud, Miller or Coors on it (yes, I know, Miller Coors make it. It's still better). It fails in comparison to most any craft beer of quality, but probably better than any other macro out there IMO.

gopens44, Nov 08, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured this one into a standard pint glass and the beer produces a good white crown of foam, and the he body is gold and clear.

In the aroma there is corn, grainy huskiness, metallic hops, and that dextrin kind of smell.

The taste is of cereal grain, tobacco, and a little corny.

Feels thin and crisp, leaves the palate moist

TheSarge, Feb 19, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

I guess this beer might be slightly better in taste than other American macros. There isn't that corny/rice adjunct taste that I usually get but there wasn't much else either. Some sweet, grainy malt is about all that I got. This reminded me of Molson. It was also thicker than other macros, but still rather smooth. Worth a drink when the wallet is light.

granger10, Jun 12, 2004
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

One of this countries stellar cheap and good mass produced brews. The can ssssuuuuckssss-but, in the bottle, this fella can do you proud-especially if on a budget. The only problem is if you drink more than three, get ready for a headache that will take you back to high school in a hurry! Worth a retry, but I'm not going to strain to come up with more info as I think the beer would get mad at me.

moulefrite, Jul 07, 2003
2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

Bought a case from my local liquor store, drank it room-temperature from poured can.

A: Color is a clear, thin straw. Pours with moderate amounts of head, quickly dissipating with no lace. Pretty much what one imagines horse urine to look like.

S: Vaguely sour malt smell, a fine example of classic "middle-America" beer smell.

T: Very thin malt taste, with hops and alcohol blending together to produce sharpness towards the end. Some grassy tones blended with iron produce most taste from this beer, but it's very thin, so they aren't very strong.

M: Watery, thin. Pretty much indistinguishable from water, actually.

D: The taste isn't that great, and the appearance leaves much to be desired. But would I have another? At this price, why not.

jpbdeutschland, Mar 15, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured into my pilsner glass a pale yellow with a big white head on top. Little lacing on the glass. Smells like cheap grains, sweet corn, and bread. The mouth is really thin and wet. Very slick. Flavor is cheap and buttery. Not a whole lot going on here, but that's expected. I liked this in the past, but this is not that good now.

Onenote81, Sep 01, 2009

Serving - Can

A - Very pale gold color, not much of a head to speak of

S - Mild aroma with no real distinct flavors catching my attention

T - A watery, extremely limited taste of hops, otherwise it is a creamy wheat like beer

M - Goes down smooth, great for drinking in large amounts

O - You get what you pay for, if your reading this its probably because you need a good cheap beer, and I'd say this is probably your best bet. its nothing special, but for the price its well worth the value.

ncsutton, Feb 22, 2012
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was alittle short on cash, so I found a canned sixer for $3.29. I also liked the red-white-&-blue history of this brew, meaning its been around forever. It poured a pale yellow clear straw color with a white head that in some of cans disappeared to not even a film. Carbonation was not overdone, not fizzy. The taste was mild or bland. Not much in hop or malt taste to say anything overpowered this brew. It wasn't as crisp as I would like for a july lawnmower brew. Mouthfeel was not left to dry. Over-all an easy drink if you like a light body brew.

chilidog, Jul 03, 2003

st: Poured from a patriotic red, White & Blue can

a: Light piss yellow

S: Typical american lager smell

T: not too bad but you pay the price the next day!!!

M: Weak...very weak!!!!

D: refreshing on a hot day...but again,..you pay the price on the porcelin pony the next day!!!

BigD1972, Nov 12, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

Light pale yellow color with a large head with decent retention. Smells of cooked corn and sweet malt with some hops. The malt aroma is not very strong. Taste mostly like corn and grain, with hops and malt also present. Thin and watery with a lot of carbonation. Not too bad.

hardy008, Jan 23, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

I bought a 12 pack for New Years and nobody drank a single one. Now I'm stuck with them. Go figure.

Yesterday I poured my peeber into a glass. I was about to do the same just now and figured why bother.

Pretty much the same as any other mass market lager. Straight up corn water.

It's not awful. Just uninspired and mostly flavorless.

z3niMAGiNE, Jan 17, 2011
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I broke down and after more years than I care to recall picked up a 12 pack of cans for nostalgia reasons. I poured it ice cold into an hour glass type glass

The beer has a very light straw color with a surprisingly good amount of head retention. The smell was very neutral with just a hint of grains. The taste was also quite neutral with some grains and just a hint of floral hops. The mouthfeel was good and the finish crisp and quite refreshing after a round of golf. It goes down good.

Overall I was generally impressed with the beer and it will probably see my garage refrigerator again, especially if I can pick it up at a good price.

Retroman40, Oct 09, 2014
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Perhaps the most pathetic, i.e. wimpy, beer I have ever witnessed. The color was golden fair enough, but the head was thin soapy and died quickly. Despite the bubbles that lined the glass, the beer gave a very stale, boring appearance.

The scent was relatively weak with some adjunct like qualities. Corny and metallic it was not particularly pleasant.

The taste was corny adjunct as well but it lost the metallic tone. It appeared to be well carbonated and gave an easy crisp feel. I had PBR in a can months ago and found it much better than this. I may try it again and reassess.

KYGunner, Jun 09, 2013
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

For the price you could definitely do much worse. It's easy to drink, with a sweet malt flavor and a slightly bitter after taste. Not the most flavorful beer, but not as bad a many beers in the same price range. Not bad for a hot summer day or if u are planning on consuming at least several beers in one siting,

josh692, Jul 19, 2013
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pint Can into a Tumbler...

A: Pale gloden yellow, finger of soapy, bright white head that fades quickly. Lots of active carbonation, typical for the style.

S: Sweet corn, grains, very light floral hop whiff. Slightest skunk and metallic smell.

T: Sweet cereal grains, corn and a bit metalic. Faint floral hop bitterness, dry, clean finish.

M: Light bodied, prickly carbonation. Smooth, a little watery and refreshing, very good drinkability.

O: Better than anything BMC puts out, a classic american lager. A good sessioner and not half bad tasting. Local watering hole has this for a buck a pint so when im low on dough, I guzzle a few and feel patriotic.

Dools9, Mar 02, 2012