Join our email list →

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company
California, United States | website

American Adjunct Lager | 4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,638 | Hads: 5,207
3.66/5  rDev +21.6%

This is a clear beer with a white head with good retention. Smells of corn. Taste is sweet. Mouthfeel is thin. This is a good go to beer cheap and easy to drink on a hot summer day. Drink it, get refreshed and forget about it.

3.66/5  rDev +21.6%

In my opinion: Pabst is a traditional, from the beginning of "time" beer. It's countless years of stand out design labeling, Quality reassured, tasting spot on every case given the handlers from brew to purchaser have done their best to keep it below 50 degrees F. PBR is a true, American Ale with a light, refreshing, more than crisp taste that hides the higher Alcohol content. Over the years, prices have hopped up like anything else, but PBR still personally seems to be the easiest pour for the cheapest price.
It's a drink of Pride, Flaunting your flag in can form, drinking what your WWII vet grandparents drank. There's days other beers flow better, but PBR is truly an everyday beer, always consistent, always pleasant.
Thank you!

3.66/5  rDev +21.6%

On first thought I'd lump PBR in with all the mass production (as opposed to craft brews) American style lager beers. A friend likes PBR and so I just had to give it a try.

It's flavor isn't complex, it's not a beer that's exceptional or made me do a double take- I think I'll call it a "commodity beer".. it's one that you pour when you want just "a beer".

It's very typical of the American "commercial" lager style-- I gather it uses adjunct ingredients.

It's a light flavor that's not particularly robust or unique, but curiously it's not disagreeable. This beer does have a bit of it's own character-- as a lager it's not so light that it flirts with the flavor of bottled water. Although if you're expecting something above and beyond the other big American brewers-- ah yes, it's missing the birchwood dowel flavor-- you'll be disappointed.

Looks- produced a nice fluffy but short lived head.

A teensy weensy nose- a bit of hops just squeaking out.

Flavor is very light-- a bit of hops and not really much else... a short clean finish.

Mouthfeel-- very light flavor and effervescence.

Drinkability-- I give it a plus because of the ABV level..

I consider this beer as a warm weather refresher-- served cold
it's so mild that it's actually a nice drink with a hint of "beer" in it.

Now the big question is if I were blind folded could I identify it as PBR and not one of the other big commercial brews?

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The best American macro lager. It has a clean taste, with good body. It pains me to see that this classic American beer is not beating the pants off BUD. I respectfully suggest that, when the need arises (warm weather) you find it in long neck bottles, chilled down cold, and enjoy. Please tell your establishment to buy it, now, before it's too late.

3.67/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Surprisingly full of character, and not like other American lagers. Much better - and plenty of history to boot ! I love the retro renewal - goes great with a sandwich, hot dog, at the ball park, picnic, Sunday afternoon on the driveway, whatever. Great stuff!

3.67/5  rDev +21.9%

PBR is a pretty solid beer. It's becoming one of my favorites. Moving through a six pack is pretty easy with its clean taste and easy finish. $15 bucks for a case of 30 is just a phenomenal deal which makes this a great beer pong beer. No one should be offended by the taste (or lack there of) this beer. If I had a friend that was just starting to drink beer, this would be one I'd introduce them to (because its better than most of the BMC crap thats out here).

3.67/5  rDev +21.9%

pabst is an old stand by. for the price it can't be beat. it ties schlitz for my american macro number one. super smooth. it's definitly way too easy to put a bunch of these boys away. nothing spectactular. but absolutly no off flavors, smooth pure watery american goodness. pbr is where it's at when the money is tight and drinking is in order. great with spicy foods and bbq. always in my fridge for those sundays off.

3.67/5  rDev +21.9%

I got PBR because I heard that it might be a decent macro brew. Well it is. It pours extremely pale with a frothy head that quickly dissipates. I can smell corn before even puting might nose near the glass, but this subsides into a flowery sweet aroma. It tastes almost as light as it looks and leaves light sweet taste on the toungue. Imminently refreshing this is with a drinkability that would embarass any other beer I can think of. And what's more? It's cheap as hell! Apparently it's a classic though I would never know. This gets a five for drinkabilty for the ease with which it is drunk and for the ease with which it is purchased.

3.67/5  rDev +21.9%

Pretty good for my "go to" beer. Nice and light, good cold on a nice hot summer day. I used to drink Busch, but this shit is way better. Great color on tap or even out of the can. Had a sweet keg of it on July 4th, doesn't get much more American than that. Enjoy with a nice veggie burger.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a glass tumbler.
Nice 3 inch head with good retention and moderate lacing.
Light hop and cracker malts some corn grits.
Nice balance of malt and hops. More of each than typical.
Good mouthfeel, slightly bitter aftertaste.
Better than average macro-brew.
Actually has some beer flavor.
Can says brewed in Milwaulkie, WI. Is this now brewed by Miller? Very close to Miller High Life in flavor profile.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

I swear the can just hissed at me when I opened it! Pours an ultra clear yellow color with a loud fizzy white head that fades quickly into nothingness. Surprisingly leaves some decent looking lace in its wake.

Smells like adjuncts baby! Not quite canned corn, more like a freshly boiled ear of corn with some sweet corn syrup and freshly sliced tomatoes. Not unpleasant, but the smell of PBR is the least attractive attribute.

The taste is...well...quite good actually. The hops are noticeable and the beer goes down extremely smooth. It is light tasting and the adjuncts are most certainly there, but shit, I'd take this over any BMC any day. For what it is, macro adjunct lager, it's one of my favorites. I could pound a good number of these.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

Pours a bright, clear pale golden color with a big pure white head that falls fast with little lace behind.

Smells like a US lager. Grains, clean & slightly metallic.

Taste is good, clean. Slightly sweet, of grains and corn.

Thin yet smooth on the tongue. Clean, crisp and highly carbonated.

My go to beer (since Schlitz came and went again) for when you just need a beer. Something light and refreshing.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

Pours a light golden yellow color with pretty much no head (poured from a can into a mug). Average macro lager smell to it, with a hint of corn. The taste matches the smell, a typical macro lager with a hint of corn. Has a slightly sour taste to it. Very easy to drink, with a good amount of carbonation, making it nice, light, and crisp. Feels very light in the mouth, with a lot of carbonation. Very good for a cheap beer...very good for the style...

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

PBR is a very inexpensive beer. Yet for the price, it is the best of its class. A cheap drinkable beer. The lightness of a PBR is its downfall. They tend to go down like water for the first few. There is the tiniest hint of hops that linger around after a swallow. The texture left in the mouth is very dry. With no flavor too strong, PBR is a nicely balanced average beer. Its a wonderful drink for someone not looking to spend too much money on a night of drinking.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

I've been drinking PBR quite a bit at our local Bierstube, can't pass up the cheap special. PBR is your typical light beer, but I find it to be a better option at times than Bud Light or Coors Light if you're out at the bars (always a better option than Miller Lite). PBR is a light golden color. There isn't a great deal of taste or smell with this beer. You get exactly what you pay for. It is easy to drink several in one sitting. Everyone should try PBR at least once.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

Oh poor maligned Pabst Blue Ribbon, how times have changed. It used to be drinking you made one elitist, and a snob. Now, it makes one common, and unrefined. Time has not been kind to you, Blue Ribbon, and your red, white and blue can, while elegant in its simplicity, has become much derrided. I applaud you for not slipping into becoming mindlessly hip, as others have tried to do.

You're fine in your can, but when you're sold for 3 dollars a glass on Tap, you really shine. Fresh, clean, with a clear filtered liquid, it's easy to see where the comparisons to urine came from, but this is the derision of mob which has turned against you. You smell of sweet grain, faint and not overpowering. This is where your can fails you, as it isolate our nose from the drinking experience.

Your light body compliments most food one would eat in a bar perfectly, from the burger, to the chicken strips. A joy of my own is using you to cook noodles, an idea that came to me when I had too little water to finish a dish. You have not given in to the hops-ridden madness that is in vogue today, and instead you focus on having a pure grain taste, with a light body and a crisp mouthfeel. The yeast leaves just a slight feeling of bread. You do not overwhelm, but complement. You are the coda of a symphony. You are the perfect session drink, capable of being consumed for hours, both to your lighter alcohol content, as well as your other qualities. Raphael's masterpiece you are not, but you are worth for what you aspire to be.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

Ahh what can you say about good ole' PBR. For the cheap price it is the best beer you can get. Easy to drink. You can pound multiple of them if that is what you're feeling or you can relax and enjoy a couple. Like I said before it definately is the best cheapest beer out there. Try it out.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)
ABV: 4.74 %

Poured from a can to a beer clean pint glass.

I have not have one of these in years. I must admit I was skeptical at first...
Will it be horrible?
Is the recent trend the saving grace?
Can I actually finish a can of such cheap swill?
I have had 2 in my fridge leftover someone brought to a party, so I decided to give it a formal objective review.

Appearance is pale straw in color, appropriatte clarity, nominal visible carbonation. Formed a semi respectable 1 finger head, with a wee bit retention & lace. Better presentation than most in this style (BMC prodcuts).
Smell was nominal if any at all. Maybe a bit of malt, a dash of hops or skunk, cant decide which...
Taste is surprising better than I expected. Has a nice light crisp taste, balanced well. A light malt taste equally supported by a conservative hop balance.
Mouthfeel is light body, but a tad more than most other BMC type products. Medium to high carbonation.
I rate this a solid 4.0 on drinkability for this style. Cheaper than most BMC products, equal or better in taste, appearance and motuhfeel. I may found a new alternative when I am on my rare pursuit of cheap swill. Sorry Miller High Life & Genny Cream Ale, you may just got some new competition!

(Although I was surprised, I still feel pretty confident that said can #2 will remain in my fridge for a long while. It's not to tempting with a full stocked cellar of homebrews)

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

Pours into my glass, from the classic PBR can, with a great bright golden color. It literally shines as light passes through it. A fizzy head builds tall but dissipates quickly, leaving a thin layer on top and a slight halo around the edges of the glass, fed by a slow upward shower of bubbles. This is a good looking macro.

The smell is very clean, with a crisp lemon/lime citrus smell backed by a slight cornmeal scent. Pleasing, if a bit shallow.

A draw from the glass first brings out a clean grain/cornmeal flavor which is followed by a slight whitebread taste on the middle of the tongue. Upon swallow, the subtle citrus bite comes out on the back of the tongue, leading to a slight drying finish. Mouthfeel is light and tingly.

This is a nice macro lager...nothing offensive about it, just a nice clean crisp flavor that is able to avoid the "just took a breath of wet air" finish that comes from some macros. Best served quite cold as a refreshing beverage after hard work on a hot day. It also doesn't seem to lose too much when drunk from the can, so it's great to take camping or fishing.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

This beer is actually tasty on tap. The taste and smell are about the same as from the can, but the appearance and mouthfeel are quite a bit superior. It feels fuller and smoother. The head on the beer is also creamier and softer. Good choice for a cheaper keg at a party. The less-harsh carbonation also makes this more drinkable. As far as American Macro Lagers go, this is up there.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

I think this has to be my favorite American macro. Has a pretty good full taste. For the price, this is worth every penny. What, $16 (+ .10cent dep./per can for me) for a 'dirty thirty'? Hard to beat for this. I try and keep my fridge stocked with this as my 'week' beer to save money. This is well worth a try, and if you like, your wallet will like better!

3.69/5  rDev +22.6%

O, geez. As much as I hate to like this beer, it is rather good.

Pours a light yellow fizz into my St. Bernardus Chalice. Haha! I have no standards. Gives a nice head that dissipates into a yellow still liquid. The aroma is interesting. I don't want to like it, but it doesn't smell . A slight corn sweetness and faint hints of grassiness. Barely any hop scent. The taste is clean, crisp and a little bitter. The aftertaste isn't altogether great, though, with some corn sweetness in there. It tastes reminiscent of corn, even though I have no idea if it's included here. Another sip puts it up there with bland wheat beers, but the aftertaste gets me again. Sour alka-seltzer like notes with some hop bitterness, but not earthy enough at all. For the style, though, it's still pretty good. An average of 4 for clean slightly sweet taste, and 3 for strange aftertaste= 3.5

Mouthfeel is a bit too still, surprising given that it's from a can. I though this one would be bubbly carbonated. Still, this is one quaffable brew, and if I found myself in a dive that was classy enough to stock this one, I would hesitate only just a bit. Haha. Okay, maybe I'd order a scotch, but I think I've lost my prejudice for this beer. It is the antithesis of "Haterade."

3.69/5  rDev +22.6%

PBR is by far my favorite beer with similar "lightness". I would buy PBR almost exclusively in college, because I believed (and still believe) that it was the best beer I could buy for the price. I could get a 12er for $7.99. Unfortunately PBR has seen an increase in demand, resulting in a higher price in my area. Now I think a 12er of Sam Adams or New Belgium is a better deal. PBR pours a nice golden yellow and is very refreshing. Always puts off those who like to rid beer of all of its taste. It is a little skunky but something about it tastes great. I recommend getting in cans, as the bottles seem to add some off-putting skunkiness.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a glass stein.

A: A bright, transparent yellow with a bright white head that fades to a thin lace that remains over the beer most of the way down the glass.

S: Some malt and corn, distinctly sweet. No off smells or anything metallic.

T: Light and crisp, very similar to smell with a dry finish and a bit of grassy hops. The bit of corn that is there isn't unpleasant, rather a bit sweet and fresh. Not massively flavorful, but definitely interesting.

M: Moderate carbonation, thin body, but that's the style. And it's the style done quite nicely.

D: Definitely could drink a number of these, especially on a hot day. This is really where this beer shines. Really, a nice, inexpensive combination of just enough flavor and high drinkability to make this a quaffable beverage.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally tried this for the first time, and I have to say...this might be my favorite American Adjunct macro to date.

Appearance is typical - straw yellow with fizzy white head. To my surprise, actually had a bit of lacing. Aroma is fairly typical - malty with a slight citrus zest. Taste is standard grain and malt, but seemed to be slightly tastier than your typical macros and again had that mild citrus zest. Mouthfeel was decent - thin, crisp and generous carbonation. Drinkability is great.

This is a surprisingly good macro. It's still a macro, to be sure, but it's not a complete watery, fizzy mess like I've come to expect. I actually enjoyed this, and you absolutely can't beat that price. Think this'll be my new go-to macro.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company