Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,620 | Hads: 5,135
3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

Oh poor maligned Pabst Blue Ribbon, how times have changed. It used to be drinking you made one elitist, and a snob. Now, it makes one common, and unrefined. Time has not been kind to you, Blue Ribbon, and your red, white and blue can, while elegant in its simplicity, has become much derrided. I applaud you for not slipping into becoming mindlessly hip, as others have tried to do.

You're fine in your can, but when you're sold for 3 dollars a glass on Tap, you really shine. Fresh, clean, with a clear filtered liquid, it's easy to see where the comparisons to urine came from, but this is the derision of mob which has turned against you. You smell of sweet grain, faint and not overpowering. This is where your can fails you, as it isolate our nose from the drinking experience.

Your light body compliments most food one would eat in a bar perfectly, from the burger, to the chicken strips. A joy of my own is using you to cook noodles, an idea that came to me when I had too little water to finish a dish. You have not given in to the hops-ridden madness that is in vogue today, and instead you focus on having a pure grain taste, with a light body and a crisp mouthfeel. The yeast leaves just a slight feeling of bread. You do not overwhelm, but complement. You are the coda of a symphony. You are the perfect session drink, capable of being consumed for hours, both to your lighter alcohol content, as well as your other qualities. Raphael's masterpiece you are not, but you are worth for what you aspire to be.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

Ahh what can you say about good ole' PBR. For the cheap price it is the best beer you can get. Easy to drink. You can pound multiple of them if that is what you're feeling or you can relax and enjoy a couple. Like I said before it definately is the best cheapest beer out there. Try it out.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)
ABV: 4.74 %

Poured from a can to a beer clean pint glass.

I have not have one of these in years. I must admit I was skeptical at first...
Will it be horrible?
Is the recent trend the saving grace?
Can I actually finish a can of such cheap swill?
I have had 2 in my fridge leftover someone brought to a party, so I decided to give it a formal objective review.

Appearance is pale straw in color, appropriatte clarity, nominal visible carbonation. Formed a semi respectable 1 finger head, with a wee bit retention & lace. Better presentation than most in this style (BMC prodcuts).
Smell was nominal if any at all. Maybe a bit of malt, a dash of hops or skunk, cant decide which...
Taste is surprising better than I expected. Has a nice light crisp taste, balanced well. A light malt taste equally supported by a conservative hop balance.
Mouthfeel is light body, but a tad more than most other BMC type products. Medium to high carbonation.
I rate this a solid 4.0 on drinkability for this style. Cheaper than most BMC products, equal or better in taste, appearance and motuhfeel. I may found a new alternative when I am on my rare pursuit of cheap swill. Sorry Miller High Life & Genny Cream Ale, you may just got some new competition!

(Although I was surprised, I still feel pretty confident that said can #2 will remain in my fridge for a long while. It's not to tempting with a full stocked cellar of homebrews)

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

Pours into my glass, from the classic PBR can, with a great bright golden color. It literally shines as light passes through it. A fizzy head builds tall but dissipates quickly, leaving a thin layer on top and a slight halo around the edges of the glass, fed by a slow upward shower of bubbles. This is a good looking macro.

The smell is very clean, with a crisp lemon/lime citrus smell backed by a slight cornmeal scent. Pleasing, if a bit shallow.

A draw from the glass first brings out a clean grain/cornmeal flavor which is followed by a slight whitebread taste on the middle of the tongue. Upon swallow, the subtle citrus bite comes out on the back of the tongue, leading to a slight drying finish. Mouthfeel is light and tingly.

This is a nice macro lager...nothing offensive about it, just a nice clean crisp flavor that is able to avoid the "just took a breath of wet air" finish that comes from some macros. Best served quite cold as a refreshing beverage after hard work on a hot day. It also doesn't seem to lose too much when drunk from the can, so it's great to take camping or fishing.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

This beer is actually tasty on tap. The taste and smell are about the same as from the can, but the appearance and mouthfeel are quite a bit superior. It feels fuller and smoother. The head on the beer is also creamier and softer. Good choice for a cheaper keg at a party. The less-harsh carbonation also makes this more drinkable. As far as American Macro Lagers go, this is up there.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

I think this has to be my favorite American macro. Has a pretty good full taste. For the price, this is worth every penny. What, $16 (+ .10cent dep./per can for me) for a 'dirty thirty'? Hard to beat for this. I try and keep my fridge stocked with this as my 'week' beer to save money. This is well worth a try, and if you like, your wallet will like better!

3.69/5  rDev +22.6%

O, geez. As much as I hate to like this beer, it is rather good.

Pours a light yellow fizz into my St. Bernardus Chalice. Haha! I have no standards. Gives a nice head that dissipates into a yellow still liquid. The aroma is interesting. I don't want to like it, but it doesn't smell . A slight corn sweetness and faint hints of grassiness. Barely any hop scent. The taste is clean, crisp and a little bitter. The aftertaste isn't altogether great, though, with some corn sweetness in there. It tastes reminiscent of corn, even though I have no idea if it's included here. Another sip puts it up there with bland wheat beers, but the aftertaste gets me again. Sour alka-seltzer like notes with some hop bitterness, but not earthy enough at all. For the style, though, it's still pretty good. An average of 4 for clean slightly sweet taste, and 3 for strange aftertaste= 3.5

Mouthfeel is a bit too still, surprising given that it's from a can. I though this one would be bubbly carbonated. Still, this is one quaffable brew, and if I found myself in a dive that was classy enough to stock this one, I would hesitate only just a bit. Haha. Okay, maybe I'd order a scotch, but I think I've lost my prejudice for this beer. It is the antithesis of "Haterade."

3.69/5  rDev +22.6%

PBR is by far my favorite beer with similar "lightness". I would buy PBR almost exclusively in college, because I believed (and still believe) that it was the best beer I could buy for the price. I could get a 12er for $7.99. Unfortunately PBR has seen an increase in demand, resulting in a higher price in my area. Now I think a 12er of Sam Adams or New Belgium is a better deal. PBR pours a nice golden yellow and is very refreshing. Always puts off those who like to rid beer of all of its taste. It is a little skunky but something about it tastes great. I recommend getting in cans, as the bottles seem to add some off-putting skunkiness.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a glass stein.

A: A bright, transparent yellow with a bright white head that fades to a thin lace that remains over the beer most of the way down the glass.

S: Some malt and corn, distinctly sweet. No off smells or anything metallic.

T: Light and crisp, very similar to smell with a dry finish and a bit of grassy hops. The bit of corn that is there isn't unpleasant, rather a bit sweet and fresh. Not massively flavorful, but definitely interesting.

M: Moderate carbonation, thin body, but that's the style. And it's the style done quite nicely.

D: Definitely could drink a number of these, especially on a hot day. This is really where this beer shines. Really, a nice, inexpensive combination of just enough flavor and high drinkability to make this a quaffable beverage.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally tried this for the first time, and I have to say...this might be my favorite American Adjunct macro to date.

Appearance is typical - straw yellow with fizzy white head. To my surprise, actually had a bit of lacing. Aroma is fairly typical - malty with a slight citrus zest. Taste is standard grain and malt, but seemed to be slightly tastier than your typical macros and again had that mild citrus zest. Mouthfeel was decent - thin, crisp and generous carbonation. Drinkability is great.

This is a surprisingly good macro. It's still a macro, to be sure, but it's not a complete watery, fizzy mess like I've come to expect. I actually enjoyed this, and you absolutely can't beat that price. Think this'll be my new go-to macro.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

The best adjunct in USA today. Beats anything from BMC. I am from the north, so I might be biased. Pours a nice pale yellow with a little sticking to the glass. I enjoy the carbonation, keeps it easy to drink. I like it in cans, its easier to transport. With a beer like this its great when you want to take some brews along and you dont have a lot of cash. I with more brewers would put more of the basic four ingredients, and hold back more of the adjuncts, like Pabst brewing does.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

bought a single 24 oz can from Wegmans Calkins Rd on 4/9/13 for $ 1.29.

Poured into a mug, served at fridge temp.

appearance: pale brass with a 2 finger white head. Some lacing.

aroma: hops and some baker's yeast?

mouthfeel: a little thin but not flat, decent carbonation.

taste: pale malt with a touch of hops.

notes: for an adjunct lager this is pretty good beer. Hell, it's just good beer. No wonder hipsters like it.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

I am not even going to lie. I am a big fan of PBR. It is really a beer that you cannot go wrong with. Yes, I know that it is a cheap American macro but to be honest it is one of the purest and less adjunct. Most of all it is a classic. I have had this in the can, on tap, and in the bottle and it still remains to be a versatile beer. It has a golden hay color to the body with usually some moderate carbonation bubble. It has usually a moderate head and just a little lace. For a cheap beer you can taste the hops and the malt. OK and some minor adjunct but no worse than a lot of the micro's people rave about. It is very crisp and refreshing. The body is light but not too light. You still know you are drinking a beer. It goes with almost any food and any occasion.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

I really like this beer...It pours like you would expect from a $4.50 dollar 6er of big boys. A Very mild head and smell. Not too pleasing but certainly not offensive. Its drinkability is good, easily can put down the 6 pk no problem. The aftertaste is average. For the price, this beer is good..

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

Look, we can't always drink hand crafted deluxe microbrews, some times we need to mix it up, or maybe just get drunk. PBR is my "Getting-Trashed-and-Watching-Football" beer. As far as cheap beer goes, it tastes alright and is pretty smooth. The best thing about PBR is how much of it an average person can drink. I'm not saying that it is a weak beer, only that it flows smoothly, goes down easy, and stays down. Great for tailgating and drinking games, if you aren't feeling snobby and just want to pound some brews for the sake of doing so, go grab the Blue Ribbon!

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

Like the Johnny Russel song says, "red necks, white socks and blue ribbon beer." You "sophisticated" city folk wouldnt understand. Down here, we like manly brew. There is only 1 reason to drink...and that is to get drunk. This beer tastes just fine to me. It does its job quite well. Why pay big money for some fancy beer? You are just gonna piss it out. It all ends up in the same place when its all said and done. If you want to enjoy what you drink, drink some sweet tea or somethin.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

Having read in several places that PBR scored well on blind taste tests, I decided to give it a try.

This is a highly flavorful beer, rather it is crisp and clean and refreshing, with no aftertaste. As a summer beer, I found it incredibly satisfying.

I think I'll have more of these in the hot summer time, but I can't imagine it will be that enjoyable in the colder months.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

Generous amount of foamy white head the dissipates relatively quick. Leaves behind a think amount of even lacing around the glass. Color is medium straw and clear.

Smell is rather light with a slight sweetness and grain notes. Very crisp aroma with almost no hop presence.

Taste is light but very crisp and refreshing in that their is a healthy amount of carbonation. A very slight malt finish that is also dry.

Overall a great Amercian lager that is better than any of the other big macro brews of the same style. Also, price is amazing. This beer holds a special place in my heart and in my fridge as an easy drinking standby. Also, would never schedule a grill out or BBQ without at least a 12 pack or two on hand.

Good old Peeber's.

Drink this if A) you're on a budget B) you're an alcoholic. Beats Natty and all those other horrible beers any day.

Beer at it's core. Golden color, smells like beer, looks like beer. Tastes... like beer... only different.

If you're on a mission to get smashed on a budget, there's nothing better. If you're looking to sit down and enjoy a nice, hand crafted, complex alcoholic beverage, you may want to look elsewhere.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

Had this today on the Frisby-Golf course at the local park... braced myself for a cheap beer taste...

Not bad at all. Light, grainy, with a tinge of sweetness.

I finished the can pretty quickly, and couldn't find any offensive tastes... certainly not ALOT of taste, but PBR is a great example of a consistent light beer.

Would buy this again, especially for the price ($10 for a case)

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

The best value around here as I can get a pitcher of it anytime for $3. Tastes better than the other American macros and more drinkable as well. I've drank so much of this stuff I'm sure it's part of my DNA. I only hope they don't use any genetically modified ingredients!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

nice head holds up well in glass

nice color rich amber, crystal clear

big nose, smells like a much more expensive beer

big American flavor, very easy drinking, balanced with a little bitter finish

thick and rich in the mouth.

this is my favorive saturday law mowing, game watching, chicken eating beer. nothing, made in America, is better on a hot day!

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

A staple of any good college student's diet, this is the classic "cheapest beer that isn't Steel Reserve" for the drinker with a light bank account.

A - Pee yellow. For me, it's hard to say any beer has unpleasant appearance. This one falls about as low as it can in the mediocre range.

S - Malty, sweet, very light.

T - Surprisingly good. Sweetness is enlightening. Try drinking this one after a darker beer and the sweetness will catch you off guard. Hints of grape and honey underly the high carbonation. Other than that, there's basically no taste here. What taste is there, is pleasant.

D - I could drink this all day (and I have). When all is said and done, I think this might be the most highly drinkable beer I've ever encountered. Even for an American lager, the drinkability is exceptional. The carbonation can be a bit overwhelming, but if you just take your time, it shouldn't be a barrier.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Type: 12-oz. can
Glass: Pilsner glass
From: A 7/11 in Allied Gardens (San Diego, Calif.)
Price: $11.99 for the 18-pack
Misc.: Expiration date of Feb. 18, 2013

Yellow golden clear with three fingers of frothy white head that surprisingly had some last to it. Light sporadic lacing and decent retention for the style. Lots of bubbles.

Smelled grain, corn, cereal (Captain Crunch), hay, bread and a bit of some kind of rotten fruit. That being said, it wasn’t too bad overall.

Tasted cereal once again, some kind of hybrid of Shredded Wheat, Captain Crunch and Kix. Also got hay, grain and honey grass.

Light-to-moderate body. Thin texture. Lively (above average)-to-average carbonation. Abrupt finish.

Considering the style, this may be the best. In fact, I was quite surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did. It’s been awhile since I had one. While I’m still partial to the tall boy in a bag, the 12-oz. can has some staying power as well.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

Reviewed from notes. Enjoyed many, many times over the years and formally reviewed here for the first time as it is my king of the cheapy's IMO and I've been going back and reviewing some of my favorite old man brews of yore that I've put off while reviewing craft and import beers. Poured from 12oz can into pilsner glass for the purposes of this formal review for an informal brew. Pale straw yellow color pours a fluffy head of about and inch or so if you let it and you enjoy that sort of thing. Usual suspects smell wise for an american adjunct lager, corn mostly and mild sourness of yeast and bread. Taste is sweeter then most and goes down easy and finishes clean though their is that bit of aal funk to it as well. An obvious choice for a session beer, good and cheap no matter if it's can, bottle or draft and IMO creates a better buzz then High Life over the course of a session/night out. This was the standard american adjunct lager I came to enjoy over the usual BMC stuff thanks to dive bars, rock clubs and using it as the main ingredient in flaming Dr. Pepper shots at parties and not wanting to throw away the rest of the can when no one else would volunteer to finish the remains not used in the shot. Also great for making up beer bread and beer can chicken. I prefer the can to the bottle or the draft, both of which seem a bit more watery and rather tasteless where the can seems to have a bit more and the metallic taste IMO adds something as crazy as that sounds. Snobs and hipster's be damned, I enjoy this blue ribbon devil of cheapness.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company