Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Avg: 3
pDev: 44%
Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,607 | Hads: 5,085
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a glass stein.

A: A bright, transparent yellow with a bright white head that fades to a thin lace that remains over the beer most of the way down the glass.

S: Some malt and corn, distinctly sweet. No off smells or anything metallic.

T: Light and crisp, very similar to smell with a dry finish and a bit of grassy hops. The bit of corn that is there isn't unpleasant, rather a bit sweet and fresh. Not massively flavorful, but definitely interesting.

M: Moderate carbonation, thin body, but that's the style. And it's the style done quite nicely.

D: Definitely could drink a number of these, especially on a hot day. This is really where this beer shines. Really, a nice, inexpensive combination of just enough flavor and high drinkability to make this a quaffable beverage.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally tried this for the first time, and I have to say...this might be my favorite American Adjunct macro to date.

Appearance is typical - straw yellow with fizzy white head. To my surprise, actually had a bit of lacing. Aroma is fairly typical - malty with a slight citrus zest. Taste is standard grain and malt, but seemed to be slightly tastier than your typical macros and again had that mild citrus zest. Mouthfeel was decent - thin, crisp and generous carbonation. Drinkability is great.

This is a surprisingly good macro. It's still a macro, to be sure, but it's not a complete watery, fizzy mess like I've come to expect. I actually enjoyed this, and you absolutely can't beat that price. Think this'll be my new go-to macro.

3.7/5  rDev +23.3%

The best adjunct in USA today. Beats anything from BMC. I am from the north, so I might be biased. Pours a nice pale yellow with a little sticking to the glass. I enjoy the carbonation, keeps it easy to drink. I like it in cans, its easier to transport. With a beer like this its great when you want to take some brews along and you dont have a lot of cash. I with more brewers would put more of the basic four ingredients, and hold back more of the adjuncts, like Pabst brewing does.

3.7/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

bought a single 24 oz can from Wegmans Calkins Rd on 4/9/13 for $ 1.29.

Poured into a mug, served at fridge temp.

appearance: pale brass with a 2 finger white head. Some lacing.

aroma: hops and some baker's yeast?

mouthfeel: a little thin but not flat, decent carbonation.

taste: pale malt with a touch of hops.

notes: for an adjunct lager this is pretty good beer. Hell, it's just good beer. No wonder hipsters like it.

3.7/5  rDev +23.3%

I am not even going to lie. I am a big fan of PBR. It is really a beer that you cannot go wrong with. Yes, I know that it is a cheap American macro but to be honest it is one of the purest and less adjunct. Most of all it is a classic. I have had this in the can, on tap, and in the bottle and it still remains to be a versatile beer. It has a golden hay color to the body with usually some moderate carbonation bubble. It has usually a moderate head and just a little lace. For a cheap beer you can taste the hops and the malt. OK and some minor adjunct but no worse than a lot of the micro's people rave about. It is very crisp and refreshing. The body is light but not too light. You still know you are drinking a beer. It goes with almost any food and any occasion.

3.7/5  rDev +23.3%

I really like this beer...It pours like you would expect from a $4.50 dollar 6er of big boys. A Very mild head and smell. Not too pleasing but certainly not offensive. Its drinkability is good, easily can put down the 6 pk no problem. The aftertaste is average. For the price, this beer is good..

3.7/5  rDev +23.3%

Look, we can't always drink hand crafted deluxe microbrews, some times we need to mix it up, or maybe just get drunk. PBR is my "Getting-Trashed-and-Watching-Football" beer. As far as cheap beer goes, it tastes alright and is pretty smooth. The best thing about PBR is how much of it an average person can drink. I'm not saying that it is a weak beer, only that it flows smoothly, goes down easy, and stays down. Great for tailgating and drinking games, if you aren't feeling snobby and just want to pound some brews for the sake of doing so, go grab the Blue Ribbon!

3.7/5  rDev +23.3%

Like the Johnny Russel song says, "red necks, white socks and blue ribbon beer." You "sophisticated" city folk wouldnt understand. Down here, we like manly brew. There is only 1 reason to drink...and that is to get drunk. This beer tastes just fine to me. It does its job quite well. Why pay big money for some fancy beer? You are just gonna piss it out. It all ends up in the same place when its all said and done. If you want to enjoy what you drink, drink some sweet tea or somethin.

3.7/5  rDev +23.3%

Having read in several places that PBR scored well on blind taste tests, I decided to give it a try.

This is a highly flavorful beer, rather it is crisp and clean and refreshing, with no aftertaste. As a summer beer, I found it incredibly satisfying.

I think I'll have more of these in the hot summer time, but I can't imagine it will be that enjoyable in the colder months.

3.7/5  rDev +23.3%

Generous amount of foamy white head the dissipates relatively quick. Leaves behind a think amount of even lacing around the glass. Color is medium straw and clear.

Smell is rather light with a slight sweetness and grain notes. Very crisp aroma with almost no hop presence.

Taste is light but very crisp and refreshing in that their is a healthy amount of carbonation. A very slight malt finish that is also dry.

Overall a great Amercian lager that is better than any of the other big macro brews of the same style. Also, price is amazing. This beer holds a special place in my heart and in my fridge as an easy drinking standby. Also, would never schedule a grill out or BBQ without at least a 12 pack or two on hand.

Good old Peeber's.

Drink this if A) you're on a budget B) you're an alcoholic. Beats Natty and all those other horrible beers any day.

Beer at it's core. Golden color, smells like beer, looks like beer. Tastes... like beer... only different.

If you're on a mission to get smashed on a budget, there's nothing better. If you're looking to sit down and enjoy a nice, hand crafted, complex alcoholic beverage, you may want to look elsewhere.

3.7/5  rDev +23.3%

Had this today on the Frisby-Golf course at the local park... braced myself for a cheap beer taste...

Not bad at all. Light, grainy, with a tinge of sweetness.

I finished the can pretty quickly, and couldn't find any offensive tastes... certainly not ALOT of taste, but PBR is a great example of a consistent light beer.

Would buy this again, especially for the price ($10 for a case)

3.7/5  rDev +23.3%

The best value around here as I can get a pitcher of it anytime for $3. Tastes better than the other American macros and more drinkable as well. I've drank so much of this stuff I'm sure it's part of my DNA. I only hope they don't use any genetically modified ingredients!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

nice head holds up well in glass

nice color rich amber, crystal clear

big nose, smells like a much more expensive beer

big American flavor, very easy drinking, balanced with a little bitter finish

thick and rich in the mouth.

this is my favorive saturday law mowing, game watching, chicken eating beer. nothing, made in America, is better on a hot day!

3.7/5  rDev +23.3%

A staple of any good college student's diet, this is the classic "cheapest beer that isn't Steel Reserve" for the drinker with a light bank account.

A - Pee yellow. For me, it's hard to say any beer has unpleasant appearance. This one falls about as low as it can in the mediocre range.

S - Malty, sweet, very light.

T - Surprisingly good. Sweetness is enlightening. Try drinking this one after a darker beer and the sweetness will catch you off guard. Hints of grape and honey underly the high carbonation. Other than that, there's basically no taste here. What taste is there, is pleasant.

D - I could drink this all day (and I have). When all is said and done, I think this might be the most highly drinkable beer I've ever encountered. Even for an American lager, the drinkability is exceptional. The carbonation can be a bit overwhelming, but if you just take your time, it shouldn't be a barrier.

3.7/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Type: 12-oz. can
Glass: Pilsner glass
From: A 7/11 in Allied Gardens (San Diego, Calif.)
Price: $11.99 for the 18-pack
Misc.: Expiration date of Feb. 18, 2013

Yellow golden clear with three fingers of frothy white head that surprisingly had some last to it. Light sporadic lacing and decent retention for the style. Lots of bubbles.

Smelled grain, corn, cereal (Captain Crunch), hay, bread and a bit of some kind of rotten fruit. That being said, it wasn’t too bad overall.

Tasted cereal once again, some kind of hybrid of Shredded Wheat, Captain Crunch and Kix. Also got hay, grain and honey grass.

Light-to-moderate body. Thin texture. Lively (above average)-to-average carbonation. Abrupt finish.

Considering the style, this may be the best. In fact, I was quite surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did. It’s been awhile since I had one. While I’m still partial to the tall boy in a bag, the 12-oz. can has some staying power as well.

3.7/5  rDev +23.3%

Reviewed from notes. Enjoyed many, many times over the years and formally reviewed here for the first time as it is my king of the cheapy's IMO and I've been going back and reviewing some of my favorite old man brews of yore that I've put off while reviewing craft and import beers. Poured from 12oz can into pilsner glass for the purposes of this formal review for an informal brew. Pale straw yellow color pours a fluffy head of about and inch or so if you let it and you enjoy that sort of thing. Usual suspects smell wise for an american adjunct lager, corn mostly and mild sourness of yeast and bread. Taste is sweeter then most and goes down easy and finishes clean though their is that bit of aal funk to it as well. An obvious choice for a session beer, good and cheap no matter if it's can, bottle or draft and IMO creates a better buzz then High Life over the course of a session/night out. This was the standard american adjunct lager I came to enjoy over the usual BMC stuff thanks to dive bars, rock clubs and using it as the main ingredient in flaming Dr. Pepper shots at parties and not wanting to throw away the rest of the can when no one else would volunteer to finish the remains not used in the shot. Also great for making up beer bread and beer can chicken. I prefer the can to the bottle or the draft, both of which seem a bit more watery and rather tasteless where the can seems to have a bit more and the metallic taste IMO adds something as crazy as that sounds. Snobs and hipster's be damned, I enjoy this blue ribbon devil of cheapness.

3.71/5  rDev +23.7%

This is one of the cheapest beers in Quebec, but better than most Canadian beers.

There is some hop bitterness in the PBR, something unknown in Canadian beers, cheap or not.

PBR is a very simple and enjoyable beer, a good friday treat beer. There is better beers, of course, but at a much higher price.

3.72/5  rDev +24%

Can poured into pint glass

Appearance: Very clear yellow with head that dissipates into non-existence. Bit of carbonation that finds its way up to the top.

Smell: Candy like scent, little bit of pilsner malt. Not too much there.

Taste: Clear crisp flavor. Not very complex, but not bad. Zing like effect at the end from carbonation and alcohol.

Drinkability: Okay, so I'm not going to give this beer a very high rating on taste because there isn't much flavor there. I didn't give this beer a low score because the flavor that is there isn't too bad. I will say this though: this beer is very drinkable. It's crisp and refreshing which makes it the perfect adjunct lager. Besides it's dirt cheap which makes it a great beer for the price and among the major brewers it is easily the best pilsner.

3.72/5  rDev +24%

appearance: pale straw colored, light head, nothing special in the looks department

smell: typical of an American macro, light beery. Clean grainy aromas

taste: light clean flavors of faintly sweet malts, a bit of alcohol, not much for perceivable hops but clean and nice for the style

mouthfeel: light in body, fizzy real smooth

drinkability: extremely drinkable, this stuff is slam-able. It's the kind of beer that you can sit around and appreciate or more commonly forget and about and drink whilst watching football or enjoying the company of friends.

3.72/5  rDev +24%

Things are tight this year, and this summer the cooler won't be overflowing with craft beer as a result. I grabbed a case of this last week for $11.99... I still can't get over that.

I'll serve this at fridge temperature in a 1970's era Stroh's glass that fellow BA and friend EPseja was kind enough to give me. Here goes.

Appearance- Pale gold, a bit richer once it's in the glass, this beer is streaming microbubble carbonation from the bottom of my glass while replenishing a supple, inch-thick head. After two minutes the crown is gone, but it doesn't look flat. There's a smattering of small lace patches along the inside of the glass.

Smell- I'm happily surprised that the nose isn't cloying at all... rather there is a husky, semisweet malt aroma and some grass that actually flatters the style character. Almost no trace of cereal, but there is a suggestion of creamed corn lingering in the background.

Taste- While the adjuncts do dominate most of the flavor here, it's actually well balanced and doesn't leave the typical unpleasant aftertaste in the swallow. Surprisingly, I am getting a very subtle hop dryness and mild bittering in the finish... Not at all bad, and flavor-wise it beats out Bud and Coors for me.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The texture begins nice and prickly, with the bubbles very small and alive. It does thin out in a few seconds, but it never ends up too boring. Besides my last experience with Ballantine a few years back, this is the only macro I can recall actually enjoying from a glass. An easy choice for the big BBQs this year until things turn around economically.

3.73/5  rDev +24.3%

Was finally able to pick up some of this the other day at a grocery store that is an hour drive from my house. My first chance to try this legendary brew. I know, I know, what took so long? Well, except for maybe in college a million years ago, none of the stores that I've lived by since then have ever carried it. Don't know why, they just haven't.

Anwways, I think I've finally found a good alternative to BMC when I have to buy an adjunct lager. Looks/smells like any other adjunct lager out there, except....it actually tastes pretty decent! Considering the price, why would anyone buy a BMC? I won't be abondoning my normal "good" stuff (or homebrew) in favor of this anytime soon, but I will definitely continue to put it in my frig as a quick, go-to beer. Thank God this is still out there, I can't drink another Miller Lite or Bud.

I know this wasn't the best formatted review, but I can't contribute anything that hasn't already been said, and by more eloquent reviewers. Just wanted to give my endorsement FWIW.

3.73/5  rDev +24.3%

12oz can into DFH shaped pint glass.

A: Pours a clear yellow with a large bright white head that quickly faded into a bubbly film that left fairly decent streaks of sticky lace.
S: Smells of dry grains and light toasted malt. Hints of peppery earthy hops come through as well.
T: Actually almost, almost, tastes like a pale wheat ale. Lots of grains and pale malt to the flavor. Hardly any hops come through but you can tell there are some there. Aftertaste is sweet and pleasant.
M: Expected super light body with a light crisp mouthfeel. No bitterness.
D: For what it is, this beer is good. The best of the worst I guess you could say. The thing that sets PBR apart from other BMC's, is that PBR doesn't have a terrible aftertaste, even as the beer warms a bit. Like I said, for the style, this beer is one of the best; the style just needs some work.

3.73/5  rDev +24.3%

A-Poured into a frozen mug. It has a thick fizzy white head that is lasting much longer than expected. As for the color of the beer itself, typical pale straw color.

S-Grainy/corn adjunct notes. It smells somewhat musty. Overall generic beer smell the style is famous for.

T-The slightest of hop bitterness followed by malty sweetness. Grain flavor is present as usual but finishes clean. Not much flavor but what does exist is good for the style.

M-Thin and watery.

D-Great session beer alongside of non-craft friends or when you just want to drink something cheap.

Overall, I prefer this is bottle form and straight from the bottle at that.

3.73/5  rDev +24.3%

I'm assuming people will call me a point fairy for giving this beer such high marks, but here goes.

Appearance: Poured a bright orange color with slight hints of yellow. Head retention was impressive for an adjunct lager. The scent had lots of "adjunct" characteristics - corn, grain, cereal - but they were muted. There wasn't much of an aroma to this beer at all.

Tasting: This is probably my favorite beer of this style. It goes down smooth and easy, with almost no hop bitterness and sweet malt flavors. There was some grain flavor, giving it a bread-y taste. This beer is incredibly easy to drink. It'd be perfect for backyard grilling and parties, as well as mowing the lawn.

This definitely was a macro beer that I'll return to time and again. I'm told it causes bad hangovers, so I would suggest drinking lots of water to stay hydrated while you drink it. But for one beer, it was very good.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company