1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Ratings: 3,697 | Reviews: 1,466 | Show All Ratings:
kcrosson492

3.56/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

PBR is the staple of my drinking life. I have always enjoyed the smooth flavor and found it goes great no matter what I am doing. I have had some deep conversations over this beer but I've also found great comfort in watching TV and sipping one.

A-It is about what you would expect in a glass. However, to be fair, I will review the bottle. It is like an American flag to me. Every single time I see one I think Amuuurica!

S-The smell is a little nonexistent. It is made up for in flavor.

T-The taste is delicious and very crisp.

M-It has a nice refreshing feel in the mouth.

O-I love this beer and would recommend it for anyone!

Cheap and delicious!

Drink on!

03-03-2014 01:15:47 | More by kcrosson492
DagenhamDavis

4.26/5  rDev +44.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I really love this beer. I can't tell you how many pounders of this I've drank over the years, but this time I tried it in a bottle and liked it even better. I guess it's that special occasion and time to review! It holds a special place in my heart, and my wallet. The legend also holds that my great grandfather would leave his on the stove and drink it hot like tea. Anyone else ever heard of this?

It's certainly my "economy" beer of choice, and being a senior in college, I'm often in economy mode. I'm not going to make pretensions and say it's the best beer I've ever had, but I don't get all of the hatred. It's a flavorful, rather consistent standby.

I drank it straight from the bottle, but I know it to be a pale yellow and very clear. Also pours a soapy, foamy head. Smells sweet for the style.

It tastes like American beer. Grainy, malty, not too many hops in there. I love a good IPA, but this is simply another thing altogether, and cannot be compared as such. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with a bit of fizz. Overall it's my old standby. What can I really say?

02-27-2014 04:30:20 | More by DagenhamDavis
titty_mcbitty

2.93/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A: Yellow with big bubbles. White head.

S: Malt, nuts, sweet corn.

T: Sweet corn, simple syrup, popcorn, nuts, butter, malt.

M: Light and thin. Ew.

O: Pretty gross, to be honest. I like to stand up for some of the less appreciated lagers when I can, but this isn't that great. Won't try it again.

02-18-2014 06:17:29 | More by titty_mcbitty
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

Sampling right now on 2/17/14. Of course had this one in the past just a couple of times but never did a review on it.. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner flute glass.

Pours a pale golden yellow in color with a 1-finger white head that settles down to just a small layer on top. A good amount f lacing is seen actually. Lots of tiny bubbles but good carbonation. The aroma is of sweet corn and grains. the taste is about the same with no bitter aftertaste. Actually this isn't bad and so much better than regular of Bud. A old beer that has been around a while also. Overall, I like it.

02-18-2014 00:43:00 | More by BeerWithMike
MarkoNm

Slovenia

Finally got this one.
Poured out with a clear and golden color. It was topped with about two fingers of white head which immediately set down to a small lacing.
There is some grainy hops aroma present, but it's very gentle.
The beginning was somewhat bitter-sweet (hard to pinpoint really), followed by a pleasant and light body. It finished with a just a slight bitterness.
A very nice, drinkable and refreshing beer, that also offers enough taste. One of the better one from its homeland.

01-18-2014 12:42:33 | More by MarkoNm
Aaron_Ramson

3.61/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pale straw in color with a foamy, frothy white cap. Nose is vegetal, corn husk, barely discernible noble hop aroma detected. Goes down extremely smooth with sweet corn being the dominant flavor, graininess is smooth and soft, no hops in flavor but then again I didn't expect any. Highly carbonated with a medium thin mouthfeel. Let's be real; this is damn tasty beer that snobs refuse to credit. If you're part of the crowd that only responds to Heady Topper, Founder's Breakfast, or Bourbon County, then enjoy your craft beer supremacy. As for me, I'll take a PBR any day of the week and twice on Sundays. The best cheap all-American lager on the market.

01-17-2014 19:52:06 | More by Aaron_Ramson
JamieWeisen

Louisiana

2.96/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Probably the best (in my opinion) Adjunct Lager there is. I'd rather one of these than a Bud Light or whatever any day. It's very refreshing, and tastes good for what it is. Overall, it's pretty decent as a beer, especially when you realize it's competition being the other adjuncts. Definately my go to beer.

01-04-2014 22:10:33 | More by JamieWeisen
BastardKing24

Oregon

I've had this beer more than once and It's always been much better than BNC offerings.

Appearance is light yellow and fizzy, head doesnt retain

Smells kinda malty but thats about it

Taste about average but theres no weird off flavors

Feel is good, ok carb

Overall a decent beer if all you have is a gas station to buy from.

12-30-2013 22:26:47 | More by BastardKing24
bsonk

Oregon

PBR out a 40oz bottle for $3, not because my local 7-11 wanted to appeal to an "urban" demographic but because of the percentage of privileged white hipsters around here wanting to act like the urban demographic, if you catch my drift. Poured into a pint glass that used to hold a better beer. The first glass kind of tasted like the IPA I was drinking before I got too drunk to taste things and switched to the Nectar of the Gods. It's Monday, by the way, and yes, I am a lazy college student. This ish is pure Americana, which is to say that it's owned by international businesses and produced as cheaply as possible out of genetically modified ingredients. I fucking love it. Cheap, gets me kinda buzzed with 4.7(?)ish percent ABV and it's really not too bad tasting if you chill it a lot and pour it into a Kolsch glass/narrow-mouthed mug to concentrate the very mild hop nose it bears, and to distract from the corn/rice/whatever the hell adjunct grains they are putting in it. It's either the kind of beer you should drink after you polish off the good shit, or it is the good shit if you are impoverished. PBR is a timeless, shite drink that I imagine average Joes will quaff until the end of time. I anticipate talking to my grandkids about the times I've had with this beer and inadvertently turning them into Pabst-swilling lushes like myself.

P.S. Yes, I do live in Portland. I am a walking stereotype, so fucking sue me.

12-03-2013 10:17:07 | More by bsonk
brewbattles

3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

We did a blind taste test with this beer against five other light american lagers to objectively determine which one is best. The beers were Coors Light, Bud Light, Miller Light, Natural Light, and Pabst Blue Ribbon. You can check it out here:

11-08-2013 05:41:58 | More by brewbattles
NoBeerSnob

Maryland

2.75/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Feeling rather nostalgic, I ordered a longneck at the local watering hole. Having not had a PBR in about 30 years, I was surprised at the familiarity of the first sip...nothing special here, just a very average brew you can pound-down on the cheap. It definitely helps to have it ice cold, and be really thirsty.

10-31-2013 13:11:41 | More by NoBeerSnob
ratfink2099

1.86/5  rDev -36.9%

Pours that crystal clear pale straw color, with a slight, fizzy head that diminishes instantly with minimal lacing.

I cannot detect much in the nose. A hint of pale malt, and what I can only describe as metallic, starchy corn. There may be a hop in there...

Taste follows suit. This may sound silly, but I feel like I'm drinking Old Style brewed with softened water.

Mouthfeel is exactly what you would expect from an adjunct lager: Fizzy and seltzer-watery.

Overall, this is just another cheap lager that fills the "I can slam a bunch quickly" bill that justifiably lets the rest of the world make fun of American beer. I'm prepared to get flamed for this truth.

10-25-2013 07:08:16 | More by ratfink2099
archyquaffer

Montana

I've been drinking this beer for years, but this is my first review of it. I carried home a 12 ounce bottle from a local bar after seeing my team pummeled on MNF. My impressions upon drinking this from the bottle is that it is ultra smooth, which is something I don't get from the can. Usually there's a bit of sourness and metal (which I actually like and expect). However, in the bottle this beer is almost too smooth- like a Miller lite or something.

A moderate pour produces a 1/2 inch head that dissipates really fast, leaving a bubbly and a bit over carbonated beer that is very pale in color. Maybe just a touch of stickiness apparent on the sides of the glass. Not much of a smell- just an overall graininess with a kiss of hops. The bit of sourness that I expect becomes more apparent as this beer warms.

This is a very simple beer with more flavor than you get with Bud, Bud light, Miller lite, etc. It goes down easy, but has at least a modicum of flavor, and is well worth the money if gotten on sale. I think I prefer it in the can though.

10-22-2013 04:13:55 | More by archyquaffer
Beerwolf666

Maryland

3.38/5  rDev +14.6%

OK..Pabst Blue Ribbon is what it is man,Another mass produced American Macro Lager,nothing special or outstanding,nothing that hits you upside the head and makes you go WOW! man is this a great Beer!..however on the flip side,there also is nothing that makes you go YUCK! god is this stuff nasty!..hehe,and seeing how "PBR" is Generaly priced much lower then a lot of other American Macro Lagers,and IMHO is as good or better then most of them,it has it's place in my beer fridge~if you are throwning a backyard BBQ,or outdoor party with more then just a few close friends stopping by,PBR is a great choice,chill down a few cases of Pabst,and everyone will have plenty of Ice cold beer,gr8 with hot dogs and burgers,grilled chicken,and other BBQ grub,you can spring for all the beer without breaking your wallet,and on a Hot summer day,an Ice cold PBR taste purty damn good!;)
I consider Pabst Blue Ribbon to be pretty much just like Most American Macro Lagers as far as Taste ,smell,appearance & such,not much flavor to speak of,but that is true of almost all American Macro beers,Grainy & grassy with little to no Hop flavor is pretty much the norm,but Pabst Blue Ribbon is a VERY Refreshing brew to be sure,and is a gr8 choice when you are tapped out,or looking for a Beer you can stock your fridge full of for friends and company,or just want a Cold beer on a hot day~
anyway,as far as looking to mass produced American Macro Lagers for Originality,Tons of Flavor,Choice Hops & very well crafted brewing in general,you would pretty much be wasting your time,because you are just not going to find it,thats what Micro Breweries and Cratf Beer is for,but I think American Mass produced Macro Beers have their place too,they may not make any beers you can sit down with and enjoy while pondering just how the brewer created such a masterpiece of brewing Art,but they taste pretty damn good when all you are looking for is an Ice cold one to quench your thirst, Cheers and Peace2all:)

09-02-2013 13:58:00 | More by Beerwolf666
BEERZILLA

2.53/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I tried this once a few years ago in a tall boy and thought it was the worst,then the other day had on tap at the bowling alley and was suprised at how different it tasted.This is really one of those beers that tastes different out of a can than on tap or bottle.Pbr has become a "hipster beer" in houston,so more people are drinking it now and more bars are offering it now on tap because its "cool".

Hey for an american lager its pretty good,goes down smooth with little after taste.A cheap decent beer thats good for drinking when your smoking a brisket or pork butt in the texas heat,best paired with country music.

08-24-2013 21:32:40 | More by BEERZILLA
mfnmbvp

2.78/5  rDev -5.8%

12 oz. bottle, with best by date of August 26, 2013 printed on the side. I just couldn't resist the allure of seeing Pabst Blue Ribbon in bottles, $8.50 for a twelve pack.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours two fingers of milky eggshell white fizz for a head, on top of a clear golden yellow colored body. Head thins to about a half finger and lingers for a few minutes of retention. Your typical American adjunct lager appearance.

S - Cooked grains and dusty malts; your usual boring adjunct beer smell. A bit of carbonation present, along with a hint of lemon / citrus twang, which isn't bad.

T - Taste follows the nose: cooked grains, corn kernels, dusty cheap barley, some artificial sweetness, and a hint of citrus lemongrass, which is obviously the most pleasing thing about this beer, considering most other adjuncts are too pitiful for even that much. Not bad for what it is.

M - Feel is grainy and dry. Light-bodied with ideal carbonation.

Overall, definitely one of the better cheap larger American adjuncts out there. Not world-class or wonderful by any means, but it is what it is, and it is well worth it considering how cheap it is. Ideal for a party or cookout or whatever, and will assuredly go well with BBQ on a hot summer day.

Pabst Blue Ribbon ---2.5/5

07-30-2013 23:16:50 | More by mfnmbvp
forestkcary

3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

This beer, one of only lagers I will touch after being showed the "craft beer light". Any thing including water( 10.59 for 18) is a price that cannot be competed with. I spent most of my teen years and alot of my young adulthood strictly only drinking the light but mighty pbr, probably more than most would like to admit. If I was to go to a place that only had lagers or light beers this one be the only one I'd drink. If the government was to go ahead a prohibit the art of brewing craft-style beer and milwaukee was to discontinue pabst I'd probably quit drinking or become some sort of wineo or scotch monster. As for now craft beer is still in production so me and pabst won't be "hooking up" but if I ever find myself in arkansas again I will have a go to outlet. Much confused respect for you pbr keep on keepin on.

07-19-2013 08:25:07 | More by forestkcary
ThePaintedGrey

3.04/5  rDev +3.1%

12oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Gorgeously clear pale golden hue, with a bleach white head that starts off large and creamy, but eventually dissipates to a bubbly white, paper thin cap. Noticeable amounts of lacing down the glass provided a lot more eye candy than anticipated.

S: A clean aroma of slightly toasted grain, light malt sweetness. A very understated touch of grassiness underneath from the hops.

T: Sweet malt makes up the majority of Pabst's flavor profile. Some toasted grain adds a nice earthiness. A pinch of hop flavor (a very slight pinch, mind you) and bitterness comes through in the finish, but doesn't quite round out the sweetness completely.

M: Tight, effervescent carbonation. Body is a little above light, but not quite medium... Smooth and finishes fairly dry. Lots of drinkability.

O: This one crushes the "Big Three" and is a solid American Lager in its own right. While I don't praise Pabst Blue Ribbon too much, I look to it when I want to change things up a bit and have a Plain Jane lager. An excellent choice outside of craft brews and always satisfies on a hot day.

07-19-2013 03:20:36 | More by ThePaintedGrey
DezBos

not a bad beer. there's a reason its been around since the 1800s. refreshing and light but has some flavor. unfortunately, i've read that it now contains GMO corn and GMO corn syrup so i may have to shelve it until they change their ingredients, otherwise, it was good drinking you.

07-17-2013 21:58:54 | More by DezBos
longisland1983

2.88/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Want a good beer for a great price?

Bulls eye

This badboy offers light carbonation with a good soft taste

A good classic beer. Hardly a snell. But the smell is nasty. But the beet does deliver a good bold taste.

It is still weak and a bit soapy, but good to go

06-25-2013 00:14:28 | More by longisland1983
KYGunner

Kentucky

2.74/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Perhaps the most pathetic, i.e. wimpy, beer I have ever witnessed. The color was golden fair enough, but the head was thin soapy and died quickly. Despite the bubbles that lined the glass, the beer gave a very stale, boring appearance.

The scent was relatively weak with some adjunct like qualities. Corny and metallic it was not particularly pleasant.

The taste was corny adjunct as well but it lost the metallic tone. It appeared to be well carbonated and gave an easy crisp feel. I had PBR in a can months ago and found it much better than this. I may try it again and reassess.

06-09-2013 01:01:37 | More by KYGunner
drmystery

3.38/5  rDev +14.6%

all rating s are based on the style, in this case american adjunct lager, keep that in mind.

after needing a break from paying $8 per six pack of local craft beer (foothills hoppyum ipa..mmm) i went to the bmc section of the beer aisle and saw the typical bud, bud light, michelob ultra (which is hardly beer), natty, etc. then i saw pabst blue ribbon in a 6 pack-all the bmc's were in multipacks-for 5 dollars, thats ~84 cents a bottle and i thought thats a good deal for an adjunct lager thats not bmc.

i spent my 5 bucks and had me some pbr.

the appearance is typical of an adjunct lager-straw pissy yellow with snow white head, about average for this style of beer.

the smell is pretty average, malts and beer. zero hops.

taste is just malts and sweet corn syrup (pbrs adjunct), which is kind of good...i get that sweetness and kind of tang of corn syrup on the back of my throat which invites me to have more. however the lack of hops is to be expected, but its disappointing, this beer actually tastes good for an adjunct lager, and i was half hoping for some hops. i guess im just naiive.

mouthfeel-fizzy water, nothing too impressive, except for the goopy corns syrup on the back of the back of the throat, which i liked.

overall, this adjunct american lager is not bad. it has an interesting corn syrupy characteristic which i personally find enjoyable. obviously this beer isnt a craft beer and its not going to be loaded with hops-its a flavorful and enjoyable macro adjunct lager that i will drink again when the IPAs and pale ales get old. PBR is a refreshing and cheap way to enjoy a macro beer that has a little bit more going than the bmc's when you need a break from kickass craft beers. above average ratings in nearly all categories for this style of beer.

04-17-2013 18:50:04 | More by drmystery
Maxwell

3.4/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

The PBR pours like a kellerweizen, piss yellow with a nice fluffy eggshell white head, though that skims down to a quarter of a fingers width quite quickly. The beer’s body is water clear with a torrent of bubbles working to the top of the glass. In truth, the beer looks a little like ginger ale in the glass. The beer’s head leaves a lacing of medium sized and tightly packed bubbles on the sides of the glass in sparse scraggly lines. On the nose, the beer smells weakly of sweet grassy malts with a touch of caramel. That stale grain smell that is found in most cheap lagers is also present here. It actually smells better than some of the other cheap lagers I’ve reviewed. It’s not amazing, but it doesn’t turn my stomach either, and it doesn’t have a completely bland character. On the tongue, the beer tastes sweetly bready with a touch of acid and the faintest touch of salt. The beer’s flavors begin with water, slowly opening into stale bread and grassy hops that turn hay-like. The finish is clean and quick, giving that slightly vegetal chemical sweet taste that all cheap lagers have. On the mouth, the beer feels thin, with a medium light carbonation that does fluff the tongue. The mouth is left wet after the beer passes. This beer is supremely drinkable, which is why it still exists today. It also leaves the mouth in flavor soon after it travels down your throat. Overall, this is PBR. It is cheap beer, but it is not offensive. It’s just pretty flavorless. To PBR’s credit, I find more flavor in it than in other comparable cheap lagers that I’ve reviewed (i.e. Red Stripe…). Buy a thirty if you want to cheaply drink yourself stupid. It is not the worst thing you could drink.

02-25-2013 21:08:30 | More by Maxwell
kismet

3.28/5  rDev +11.2%

bready, slightly sweet, lots of grain in the flavor. a bit of lemony hop bitterness on the tail end of the swallow. very drinkable... when served very cold, it goes great with pizza, wings, mexican food, etc. also pretty refreshing as a relaxing beer after a day of labor. no bells and whistles, but definitely solid for the pricepoint...$5.50 for 12 bottles.

01-16-2013 03:17:12 | More by kismet
LiquidAmber

Washington

3.13/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into a shaker pint glass. Pours a pale yellow with a gold tint. A finger and a half of white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of malt, cereal, light malt; light mineral and a hint of skunk (odd from a brown bottled beer). Pleasant flavor of biscuit malt, sweet wheat and light finishing hops. No evidence of mineral or skunk from the aroma. Flavor is light to moderate and well balanced for its style. Light bodied, as expected. A pleasant surprise for an adjunct lager. If I'm ever trapped in no-craft-beer purgatory, I will pick this up.

01-12-2013 05:00:00 | More by LiquidAmber