Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,658 | Ratings: 5,289
2.85/5  rDev -5.3%

This is my default brew. If I'm not drinking craft I'm drinking PBR. Very nostalgic, and there isn't another beer on the gas station shelves providing more bang for your buck than PBR at 5 bucks for a sixer of tall boys.

2.73/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Keeping in mind this beer's price point, I don't think this is bad at all for what it is. Pours a golden yellow color with a decent sized head that actually lasted much longer than I expected and left a foam ring for about half the course of the beer. Smells like macro: corn and grain sweetness, the faintest hint of a floral hop aroma (that's unusual for macro!). Taste is weak, but primarily sweet like corn. There's a slight hop taste, and something a little metallic. More crisp and clean in the finish than I thought it would be. Feel is light bodied with high carbonation, a little rough going down. Slight drying effect from the wisp of hops it has. For $6 (or less) a sixpack, it's definitely not the worst you can do.

2.76/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Look-Pours a pale copper color with a half inch head.
Smell- smells like a stale bread that has been soaked in beer.
Taste- Taste is pretty good with a exceptional amount of hops added for the price.
Feel- Very fulfilling but not very complex.Refreshing but has a bit of gusto at the same time.
Overall-My teenage years wouldn't be complete without PBR.

3.94/5  rDev +30.9%

Before it became the Hipster drink here I was buying it because it was cheap. Overall a nice balanced cereal and grain beer with a good aftertaste. Taste is somewhat creamy for a lighter beer. Has gone up in price since I was originally drinking it so I usually will go with Labatt's blue which usually tastes fresh.

2.34/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

While Pabst seems to have some kind of role to play in american beer culture, mostly being the cheap okayish alternative - in Sweden it does not.

Apparently even bastardizing is an art of sorts, and our cheap copies of german and czech lagers are all superior to this watery experience.

3.76/5  rDev +24.9%

The best cheap beer out there. You can taste malt and hops. Light and refreshing. Adjuncts are there but subdued. The beer tastes like white bread but is sweet, with a mild grain flavor and a kiss of hops. Very smooth and drinkable, but with mild flavor of actual beer. Best cheap AAL.

4.08/5  rDev +35.5%

The reason for the high rating is because I am only comparing it against other American Adjunct Lagers (BMC beers). Coming from a hop head like myself, the first can of PBR is always a chore to swallow down but once I pop the top on beer 2, 3, 4, well you get the point, THIS BEER TASTES LIKE BEER SHOULD TASTE in its purest most basic form.

3.26/5  rDev +8.3%

Certainly not a world-class microbrew, but together with Natty Gans, Utica Club and Name Tag, a very serviceable canned, low ABV session beer made for fishing.

3.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of a 16 oz. can into a one liter beer stein.

Appearance - Yellow color with a slight tint of copper. Pours a nice one-finger head that dissipates in a couple minutes. Good lacing around the glass, and appears to have good carbonation.

Smell - There is definitely a hint of grassy, almost floral hops in the beer. There is also a bready scent to it.

Taste - Immediately, the taste of crisp hops invade the tongue. Not overpowering, but you can definitely taste the hops. The hops seem to be of good quality. I only rate the taste a "1.75", because hoppy beers are not my style.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, clean, spritzy, and watery.

Overall - If a novice beer drinker prefers the taste of Pabst Blue Ribbon over the taste of Budweiser, he may go on to larger hoppy beers such as pale ales. I am not a huge fan of hoppy beers, and this would not be my first choice of beer. But for what it's worth, and for what this beer is supposed to be, this is a good beer. It's very cheap, clean-tasting, and I would recommend it to any beer drinker that is low on cash and needs a hoppy beer.

Negative score if possible. The FOAM is overwhelming on the mouthfeel. Taste is weak stale grain and metal. Gag reflex was triggered. Drain pour that can only be rivaled by the Natural Light beers of the world.

3.89/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Fairly aggressive pour from a 12 oz. can resulted in a very thin, maybe half a finger of rocky white head. Clear and golden with streaming bubbles.

Sweet corn with a lightly toasted white bread smell.

The taste is a nice combo of some sweet with a nice balance of barley, malts and a light hop feel at the back.

The feel is oh so refreshing! Playful bubbles from the carbonation dance across your tongue while the finish is so nice, clean and crisp.

When you combine this very pleasant beer with the price of a case of 24 at $15 you really come out a winner. Sure the beer is not going to blow you out with hops or have a lot of hidden fruit or spice flavors. This is just a great beer to pull out of the fridge, crack it while it is cold and enjoy.

2.4/5  rDev -20.3%

I only gave this beer a two for the mouth-feel and the fact that I used to love this garbage. This is one of the smoothest beers in the world. (Or at least America) I loved this beer so much, I drank it all the time in college. I even had friends laugh at me for enjoying this while they were drinking Craft Beers and stuff. I loved the stuff. However, I noticed that the company must have done something to the recipe because over time it tasted awful. There was a skunky, garbage, and despicable feeling to the entire beer. It tasted like a bear pissed in my mouth. I don't drink it no more. It sucks.

2.92/5  rDev -3%

Pleasantly surprised, lightweight, but very smooth, crisp and clean. Nice fluffy head on pale golden body. Not overly sweet, although adjunct rains are present in aroma and taste. Lager yes, but a head above the rest of the US macro brews.

3.57/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I drink this beer to cleanse my pallet. It's neutral taste will clean my taste buds so I can resume drinking more flavorful beers. Not a bad beer for a frat party or your "white trash trailer bash".

2.64/5  rDev -12.3%

Expected it to be worse according to the price. Not so bad, it's not a beer that's meant to be enjoyed, more of a beer to refresh yourself, sort of like a soda. If enjoyed cold and fast, it's nice. But if expecting to enjoy it for it's taste gradually, it's not that great. So I think 2.5 is a perfect rating so say that here's a slightly below average beer

3.48/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type: 355 mL Can

A- Pours clear golden with a sudsy 1/2 finger head that dissipates quickly. Lots of visible carbonation (think of a freshly poured Soft Drink). No lacing.

S- Lager Yeast, Corn, and bready malt.

T- Watery Barley/Corn mixture with a light hop flavour on the finish to give the brew a slight bitterness

M- Light Body with Low-Moderate Carbonation. A little too relaxed on the carbonation but not bad. The lack of carbonation makes it extremely 'poundable'

O- One of the better AAL's I've had thanks to it's nearly non-existent flavour (no astringent corn flavours here) and easy drinking body. No, it's not that great, but it sure beats a Bud Light.

3.45/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - This beer pours an extremely clear straw yellow with 3 fingers of foamy head that die down quick. Carbonation is fairly inactive.

Aroma - lager yeast ( spring water) smell, barley, corn.

Taste - Spring water flavor, barley, corn, and some extremely light floral hops give a very light bitterness on the back of the tongue

Feel - light body not much carbonation almost like drinking water.

Overall - This is one of the better AAJ's I have tried. The flavor and aroma dont stand out and the body is the weakest point because of lack of carbonation. With that said the flavor is fine look and aroma follow the style too. Would I drink this a lot? No, but thats personal preference and if you are a lawnmower beer drinker than try this.

2.8/5  rDev -7%

Halfway through a 30 pack on PBR... as far as cheap light beers go, this one's better than most. Obviously nothing special, though. I will drink again, but only when my goal is getting shitfaced.

1.96/5  rDev -34.9%

I am not a hipster, you are not my beer, and you no you will not enjoy this review. This beer has made a resurgence among people that like to drink it ironically, but my apprecation for satire does not go as deep. This is a bush league beer.

3.48/5  rDev +15.6%

I been drinking "P-Berrs" for 15 off and on years. I drank Long Trail religiously for a while and tasted as many different imports as I could. Love OtterCreek Copper. I'm a Vermonter lol. I always come crawling back to PBR though. Its light and I love that, it does get bland after a while so I mix it up but its always available which rocks. It doesn't matter what time it is, great breakfast beer, lunch dinner middle of the night haha!

Its nostalgic, American and hands down better than BUD, I bought a 12ver of bud cause it was on sale yesterday and puked my way through it, Pberrs is so smooth and easy on the guts!

Cheers hipsters, grandpa's, blue collars, and budget boozers!

3.79/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

If you try this beer in a side by side comparison with any other adjunct lager, you will definitely taste the superiority. Most adjunct lagers taste relatively the same but there is much more going on in a can of Pabst than just cheap beer. I honestly think this beer gets more snobbery from bud light "top shelf" buyers than it does from craft buyers, which says something. It shows that the cheap price is deceiving to price snobs who would be embarrassed to be seen consuming anything considered "cheap," regardless of taste and quality.

2.53/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

DATE TASTED: December 23, 2015... GLASSWARE: 22 oz. pilsener...OCCASION: toasting another Cavs win... APPEARANCE: ultra clear, light golden body with visible swirls of effervescence; the head is spongy, thick and bursting with bubbles of white; hedgerows of lacing is left behind; ... AROMA:immediate apple/pear hit the nostril, along with the awkwardness of oats, hay and beefy biscuit...PALATE: soft, thin, and absolutely evasive in its presence--swift to its end, and the end is bitter; oily with flat carbonation...TASTE: oats and soft malts create a woody, slightly metallic water-heavy profile; otherwise, as soft and nondescript as 24 ounces of beverage can get...a salty cracker sifts its way in as the can drains...OVERALL: as far as blue-color working cans go, one could do much worse than Pabst...I know my father's generation laments the loss of the "old" recipe, but this offering does its job by refreshing without restraint...easy-drinking to the point of slamming....a good-looking can, worth mentioning

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

I always have PBR in my fridge...always. Its a solid palate cleanser, Monday slammer, and Sunday closer.

But don't get me wrong i love the tastiest... i also have some heady, swish, stone unfiltered, flower power, flower child, fishermans, lights on, and of course...the home brewed galaxy ipa

cheers!!

3.48/5  rDev +15.6%

This is my favorite cheap beer. It comes in a classic and patriotic look that I love. It is very refreshing and is best consumed when ice cold, usually accompanied by some American food like burgers or hot dogs. It is very watery and smooth, but crisp.

2.95/5  rDev -2%

It's Pabst. You can't expect much and you can't complain about the value. I'm younger but when I drink it I get an old school feeling. I can have a few but after a bit the taste gets a little skunky and tough to stick with. I'd rate it higher if I could consistently drink it but it is pretty sweet and the carbonation goes away fast. But for the price, I won't complain.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company