Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,619 | Hads: 5,132
2.87/5  rDev -4.7%

This is a really good beer when you wanting something cheap and okay. I recently went to a bar and this was better than Bud Light. It's one of the easier beers to drink. It goes down in a smooth taste, but that is about it. There is not much else to go home about with this beer.

3.83/5  rDev +27.2%

Appearence is a beautiful straw with a slight orange hew. Smell is clean, a little sweet with fresh corn. Taste is very clean. A slight straw and corn flavor. A little sweet at first but the hops give it a clean, crisp finish. The carbonation is almost perfect for this style. Drinkability is great, you can drink this beer all day especially when its hot.

A very refreshing and good American lager. And the fact you can find a tall 6pack for $4 is awesome. A good everday or session beer. A little cleaner in the bottle than in a can, and even cleaner on tap.

4.25/5  rDev +41.2%

A - Looked good.

S - Smelled good.

T - Good lager taste. A little on the malty side, but pretty good balance for a macro. Was not disappointed

M - Good Stuff

D - Good beer for the price, and of the macros I've had it's the best. No wonder Clint was kicking so many of these back in Gran Torino.

3.93/5  rDev +30.6%

Good ole PBR

a good staple. Good for sharing, and never leaves you feeling cheaped out.

Taste is balanced, and slightly on thebitter side for some macros. although corn might be present, there is a malt presence as well, and the hops leave a good solid bittering, as well as a slight grassy skunkyness that works for the beer, strong hints of (Banana)

Drinkability is out of this world. I could sip or chug 12 in a night easy, as long as I eat a good meal and stay hydrated. Good for having drinking competitions which you beer snobs out there might not be familiar with.

I could go on but I'm sure most of you have had PBR before.

Pabst Blue Ribbon, Pabst, Blue Ribbon, PBR, Pibber, whatever you wanna call it. This beer used to be cool. Weird right? Now this shit is everywhere and it drives me nuts. I can't stand the mega branding of it with it's hipster "street cred". It's alright to drink but now I just get headaches and feel like donkey dump the next day. It sucks when a bar sells tallboys for so cheap and Buds are a dollar or more for a regular bottle because then I drink these durn thangs and feeeel it, man. I used to drink it a lot on tap but I don't think that will really happen anymore. It's good but gives me pain.

3.41/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I poured a 12oz can into a pint glass. Not surprisingly, this beer pours to a crystal-clear shade of straw gold with some bubbles at first although it quickly dies down. It does generate a somewhat fluffy, bright-white, soapy head, but it dissipates down to a tiny layer of suds rather fast.

There isn’t much aroma to speak of. Adjunct macro lagers, and especially "economy" versions like this are often off-putting or straight-up foul in the nose, but PBR is rather neutral. I detect a touch of metal and corn, but these notes are light to be sure.

Up front it’s very watery, thin, and bland - which makes it surprisingly refreshing. As it finishes there is an odd flavor combination of cereal grain sweetness and a touch of tin or aluminum. I’ve had this beer on tap and in the bottle and noticed these flavors as well, so it’s clearly not the can. Don’t get me wrong, these are definitely not appealing flavors. In fact, if this beer is consumed warm they become off-putting, but drank cold it’s tolerable at best.

With its flat, bland body and noticeable wateriness, PBR is actually a highly drinkable beer. The palate here really doesn’t satisfy, but it does work well as a thirst-quencher on a hot day or when accompanying some ball park-style foods or during similar situations. I was surprised how well it paired with beer brats and could envision beer drinkers of virtually all calibers slugging it down at a BBQ or picnic.

At 4.74% ABV, this truly is a sessionable beer.

Every time I see a bottle or can of Pabst Blue Ribbon, I feel like I'm time-traveling to the days of the Grover Cleveland administration (the first one), since the recipe probably hasn’t changed since then.

3.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is clearly an American Lager. As is the case with so many "cheap" American Lagers it is now a better beer than the BMC beers. Is it great beer? No. It is easy to drink and doesn't need to be chilled to 32 degrees to be drinkable. If you are looking to get drunk and don't want to drink water all night, it's not that bad. For the specifics: Straw colored. Doesn't have much in the way of smell. It has a light malty taste without much in the way of hops. Not bitter at all. Light bodied. Only thing bad is it's a hipster beer.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

Ahh what can you say about good ole' PBR. For the cheap price it is the best beer you can get. Easy to drink. You can pound multiple of them if that is what you're feeling or you can relax and enjoy a couple. Like I said before it definately is the best cheapest beer out there. Try it out.

3.58/5  rDev +18.9%

There is not much to a PBR. Classic American Pilsner, as light as water with about as much taste, but unlike water, PBR is 5%. A great beer for a buck in a can at almost any bar around town. Personally I find myself spending money at beer stores rather than bars due to the mark up. So PBR is nothing to rave about but it is cheep, drinkable and gets the job done. As I say to my beer snob friends, "it is the best of the worst". And now Pabst is the oldest American owned brewery in the country. "America! Fuck Yeah!"

I've been drinking PBR since I've been drinking beer. I've drank it from tin cans, aluminum cans, glass longneck bottles, and kegs. The only one I can't recommend is the tin cans, and they don't make those anymore anyway.

Where I grew up in the midwest, PBR was available everywhere. Every place that sold beer had six and twelve-packs of PBR cans, and every bar had it in kegs and/or bottles and/or cans. I drank many a pitcher of Pabst with friends over the years, and one of its best qualities is that it has always tasted the same. A nice strong, grainy American lager flavor. That flavor has virutally disappeared from American beers; replaced by the watered-down taste of the various versions of Budweiser, along with every light beer. Schlitz (owned by PBR) has recently come out with what is supposed to be its 60's formula at a much higher price, but you can still get the old formula Pabst for the regular price. It has never changed, and it's probably the best remaining example of a premium American beer.

I prefer bottled beer myself, and seldom bother with a glass. When you open a bottle of Pabst you are rewarded with a grainy, alcoholic aroma, not in any way overpowering, though. The taste that follows is clean and sharp, again with a grainy flavor that always occurs in a good American-style lager.
I judge this beer as an American lager. I prefer Bocks myself, but you can't really compare Bocks to lagers or to wheat beers, and so on. And as an American lager, Pabst Blue Ribbon is as good as any.

3.55/5  rDev +17.9%

Can poured into a pint glass.
a. pale golden. rather urine-like
s. really not much smell. faint corn/ straw smell. nothing overpowering
t. corn, watery, generic

Despite the less than steller reviews, PBR is the best cheap beer money can buy. It is essentially like drinking alcoholic water. If your short on cash but want to throw a few down, don't deviate with other crappy mass produced American lagers, grab a PBR.

3.2/5  rDev +6.3%

If you're having a cook-out with a few friends on a hot summer day and you want inexpensive beer to toast the "good times", there's nothing more 'American' than having Pabst Blue Ribbon beer.
With some of my friends, I don't want to waste the so-called, 'expensive' beers with them.
Pabst Blue Ribbon is great to use in a large container when cooking bratwurst prior to hitting the grill.

2.86/5  rDev -5%

From a can, poured into a dipple mug. Looks pretty damn good in the mug. Smell is nothing more than average. Taste, well from a can, nothing is too good. Mouthfeel, average. But as cheap beer goes, this is one of the cheapest and certainly ranks up their with the best of the cheapy cheaps. Holds it's own against most all Adjuncts.

2.68/5  rDev -11%

I bought a 12 pack for New Years and nobody drank a single one. Now I'm stuck with them. Go figure.

Yesterday I poured my peeber into a glass. I was about to do the same just now and figured why bother.

Pretty much the same as any other mass market lager. Straight up corn water.

It's not awful. Just uninspired and mostly flavorless.

3.02/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a can.

Pretty strong taste of corn. Not head really, and its smell is pretty average as well. However, it's extremely drinkable and a hell of a lot better than the other choices like bud or miller. Easily one of the better cheap beers out there.

3.55/5  rDev +17.9%

Hot Summer days are almost here folks! As our palates shift from monstrous DIPA's and deep complex stouts, we willingly reach for the lighter side of the brewing spectrum to quench our thirst!

Pabst Blue Ribbon is timeless - it's flavor caters to the weekend warriors in the garage, cookouts on the patio, etc.

With PBR, you get a solid, carbonated, non-offensive lager. From the can, and into a frosty mug
with lots of malt, with great flavor. - It tastes better than anything in price comparison. ($3.79 - 16oz 4pk)

There are really just a few styles perfect for the summer days ahead. (Yuengling, SN Pale Ale, Warsteiner Verum)

Pabst Blue Ribbon is an above average adjunct beer.

3.26/5  rDev +8.3%

What can I say? I LOVE PBR!

A beer this cheap should not be this tasty. Pretty much better than most anything else out there for the same price.

Doesnt really keep any head, no lacing.

This beer has almost no smell to it, just the lightest touch of grains.

The taste department is where PBR delivers. Nice bit of sweet malt and a teeny tiny bit of hops/alcohol taste breaking through, far more flavorful than its competitors.

Great for a hot summer day or taking the edge off after work. This has always been and may always be my favorite cheap beer.

3.43/5  rDev +14%

Served out of a can into a .5L mug.

A: Pale yellow color is more similar to a good Pils instead of your average adjunct lager hue. It's not bad. Carbonation is moderate to high, two fingers of white soapy head dissipate slower than expected. Not at all a bad looking brew for the style.

S: Grain and corn first and foremost, light hops and grass, slight lemon. Again much better than most adjunct lagers, this actually HAS a scent!

T: Corn and grain sweetness. Some light malts. Surprising light bitterness (as in it actually has some bitterness) with light but noticeable lemony hop aftertaste. Impressed.

M: Nice balanced carbonation. Not as watery and thin of others in it's class.

O: The best American adjunct lager I have ever had. Refreshing and tasty. I have had this straight from the can, but would urge you pour this in a proper glass. It will open up a lot.

smell comprises corn. tastes sweet, strong corn taste, some maltiness and a nibble of hops. the beer is very easy to drink. perfect on hot days while working the yard or while playing darts with buddies. for the quality, the price can't be beat.
and hey, if it's good enough for clint eastwood, it's good enough for me.

3.9/5  rDev +29.6%

Pabst is my stand-by cheap beer. It's truly the water of beers. Light, crisp, and refreshing and doesn't carry any of the "piss" aroma of the competition.

It's better than Natty, it's better than Stella, it's better than Bud Light, it's even better than Bud Light Lime!

A tall can of PBR is the true champagne of beers!

3.11/5  rDev +3.3%

I think PBR is a nice beer for its style. I am comparing it to light-bodied, large-brewery products. It is my goto, hot-day-in-July light beer. (No, it does not say "light" on the can, but think of it that way and appreciate it for that role.) I do not taste any of the metallic off-flavors I often find in other mega-brew light and standard products.

If you are a poor alcoholic then this is the beer for you. Between the affordable price, the decent alcohol content and the lack of flavor you can drink a lot of these with relative ease.

2.91/5  rDev -3.3%

Who can honestly say this is their favorite beer?

I can say that this one is a must when is seen on the $1 beer menu at the local bar.

Taste is similar to most cheap beers. Very light, easy to drink more than you should. Nothing too great, but would take a blue ribbon over a bud light any day.

3.3/5  rDev +9.6%

poured a straw color, with a light and fast disappearing head.

you can smell slight malt and a slight corn aroma, like something you would smell on a farm.

tastes like nothing with a short hop snap aftertaste nothing really going on too special, but overall is nothing horrible just not very complex or special

pabst is definitely one of those drinkable beers you can sit on the couch with and finish off the 12 pack with another friend and then move onto something better. beats the shit out of bud and coors

1.29/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

My friend returned from the kitchen with a cup full of what I thought was piss. He swore to me it wasn't, but I couldn't be sure. I smelled the "brew", and thought it was for sure urine. But I was thirsty, so I took a big gulp. My brain was telling me to spit it out and look for some real beer, but I was too polite and not drunk enough for such rash actions. Smells and tastes like water that has sat in a plastic bottle for two months. If there is anything that PBR is good for, it would be Keg Stands. One can drink this like water all day, and receive a blue ribbon for being the most low-class drinker around.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company