Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,979 | Reviews: 1,688
3.13/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Where do we begin. The memories abound in my mind of wonderful times and this satisfying beverage. I drink this when I'm rich, sober, poor, and drunk. It has never failed to satisfy me. She never tastes as nasty as fish, given bad head, or failed to pleas. Three important ways this beer is better than other beers. While not spectacular in any specific way, as a total experience it proves to be more than the sum of its parts. This beer is my best friend, always there to console me. I know people who hate it, and those who love it. It is the beer for the open-minded, just as is the bud light for the closed.

Hail to Pabst!

3.94/5  rDev +34.5%

Love this stuff! Cheap, but a hella lot better than any other American Lager! (i.e Buttwieper) I just picked up a 30 pack (times are tough) and was pleasantly surprised by the familiarity from my college days. It's been a while, but I have to say for a cheap beer, this stuff delivers....

3.08/5  rDev +5.1%

I figured it fitting to review PBR as my first beer, because it is my fall back when I have no liquid funds for good beer.

Appearance: Light yellow, decent head, lacing non-existent. Nothing special here.

Smell: Pretty weak smell, but pick up hints of corn, hops, and malt.

Taste: It tastes similar to the smell. Subtle flavors of hops and malt that balance out pretty good. It is definitely not the strongest tasting beer in the world, but hey it's 15 bucks a 30-pack.

Mouthfeel: Think BMC, pretty similar to the big three.

Drinkability: This is where I feel PBR shines. The smooth, balanced, and not overly-strong PBR can be drank in the dozens. Great for tail-gating, block parties, and basically situations where you will be drinking all day.

3.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Pabst gets such a bad rap -- but then when you ask people who bag on it if they've ever tried it...

This was a stray 24oz can found in a grocery store. Haven't seen a 24oz PBR before or since. Nice, light gold color. Good head which lasted. The taste was very good, except for a slightly soapy tinge that remained constant throughout the session.

Gotta love bars that have Pabst on tap. It was the house beer of Kleine's, the best damn bar that Fremont, California will ever know -- and is still available at Golden Boy pizza in San Francisco's North Beach.

If you haven't had a Pabst, please withhold judgement until you tried it.

3.47/5  rDev +18.4%

I don't know how people can give low ratings to a beer that was awarded a blue ribbon. Blue! Not red, not yellow... I mean, c'mon!

Serving type: poured from can to mouth. Seriously, I don't know what it looks like, and I don't care.

Speaking of serious, now I will be. Serious. This beer surprised me. I like a good macro lager now and then. Particularly when I'm broke. It's called rationalization.

Anyway this one's not bad. At all. This is what I imagine macro lagers all tasted like back in the day. Cold, yes. Watery, yes. But there is some flavor here. I wouldn't call it hops exactly, but something. Something more than your typical BMC.

This has officially replaced Old Style as my cheap lager of choice. How's that for high praise?

1.53/5  rDev -47.8%

A Pale yellow and fairly translucent. Light white and utterly lacking retention with a permanent sticky lace

S Weak notes of hopps and grain

T Very hoppy with almost no grain. Weak and watery with a hint of tin foil. Yes. Tin foil.

MF A bit harsh and soapy.

Drinkability is fairly low. The sour bitter sting of hopps seems not quite right.

Overall this beer is not something i'd buy, but I still like it over other macros such as the dreaded bud. If nothing else i'll drink it in honor of blue velvet. PBR!

3.4/5  rDev +16%

Ah, yes. PBR. The God of all cheap beers. The only way to drink one is via can...even the bottles just don't seem to do the trick.

Pours typical clear/lager color. Feels very light and not overbearing. Easily drinkable and for what it is, has a nice clean, crisp flavor.

Perfect for tailgating, large get-togethers, or having a nice beer after a long day of yard work. Whatever the occassion, PBR doesn't fail to deliver the basic incentives of beer drinking.

2.73/5  rDev -6.8%

It is what it is. This is PBR. It's not trying to be anything it's not. This beer is for the funnel and hose not for pouring into a glass and smelling and feeling and....tasting.

It's fizzy and over carbonated and lacking any worthy taste but it's what I want if I have to go the piss-water route. It's not the big 3 (Miller, AB, Coors)!!

You many notice the 5 rating in drinkability and be wondering what I'm smoking. Dude! Any beer you can shotgun is exceptionally drinkable. It's also damn close to water.

Hey...it won a blue ribbon at some point, didn't it?

On of the best of low end beers. At a restaurant with shitty selection this is a go-to beer.

2.96/5  rDev +1%

I've drank this warm and cold from a bottle, a can, and a tap. In all cases it looks like piss mixed with seltzer water and tastes like water. There really is no smell or taste other than a generic "beer". If you only want to get drunk it does the trick. If you want to get hung over it will also do the trick. It isn't as cheap as it used to be. I can get a 12 pack of High Life or Natty Light cheaper than I can get a 6 pack of PBR. It is easy to put away a 12 pack of this beer and not feel disgusted. Most drinkable of all the "cheap" beers.

This is hands down the most underrated and unappreciated beer in American history. In most places you can purchase a 30 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon for about the same price as a 30 pack of keystone light. And not only does it taste better than cheap college party beers, it tastes much better than many of its fellow American Lagers. I personally think that this beer blows Budweiser out of the water, and at about half the price, I'm not sure how you could argue that.

3.65/5  rDev +24.6%

This is my go to beer. I try a bunch of beers and always come back to PBR. Its already one of the better AAL's out there. The mouthfeel is decent, it's not strong and does the job. no chemical taste or weird flavors. It's on par with Budweiser and you get a free 6 pack for the same price. Can't say anything bad about Pabst.

3.63/5  rDev +23.9%

Listen--this isn't a great beer. BUT, it is the best of its breed. American Macro Lagers are expected to be light-colored and virtually flavorless, with little-to-no hop aroma. And this dive-bar classic does it without making you feel like you're drinking a Men's-Room Special. The body is slightly more full, more malt-driven than your Bud or Miller varieties, and it delivers a surprisingly complex (albeit slight), clean, almost-citrus like finsh that at least gives you some indication that you've just taken a sip of something other than water. Add in the nostalgia factor (which is no small part) and you're looking at a classic American brew that definitely has a time and a place to be enjoyed. Appreciate it for what it is, my friends.

Average.threes across the board. is that bad? nope. not to me.
most of the offerings from B/M/C wouldn't get a two out of me.
as mass produced canned lager goes, PBR is still one of the best of a bad bunch. it won't make you do backflips for joy at the wonder of it, but it's a good cheap drinkable cookout beer.

2.25/5  rDev -23.2%

This is an okay beer. Red White and Blue can = Patriotic. But I think budweiser takes the crown for that category.

Pretty boring taste although very smooth and easy going down. Not too many hops, most beer lovers I think would not love this beer but it is better than other more common lagers.

2.96/5  rDev +1%

Good cheap beer.

APP: Light yellow with decent head retention for a light beer

SML: There is no unique smell. It smells like any other light beer, subtle and bland.

TST: Surprisingly tasty. Despite cheap and light, it has a deeper and more complex malty taste than most light beers.

MTH: Decent aftertaste that does not invade the senses. Refreshing.

DRK: As good from the first sip to the last.

2.73/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Pours a nice straw color, with about a fingers worth of head that disappears way to soon. In my opinion it looks good for an Adjunct Lager.

S: Pretty typical malt and cereal grain smell

T: A bit of a let down, A bit of sweetness, a hint of malt and grain, I think I tasted a hop...one hop in a Sixteen ounce can. It's just a hair above Bud for flavor.

M: Light bodied, very light bodied, just a hair above water.

O: I'm rather disappointed, don't get me wrong I wasn't hoping for craft brew quality, but I was hoping for a decent beer. PBR is barely above Budweiser as far a brews go. Oh well pretty average for an adjunct lager.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

For the price you could definitely do much worse. It's easy to drink, with a sweet malt flavor and a slightly bitter after taste. Not the most flavorful beer, but not as bad a many beers in the same price range. Not bad for a hot summer day or if u are planning on consuming at least several beers in one siting,

PBR out a 40oz bottle for $3, not because my local 7-11 wanted to appeal to an "urban" demographic but because of the percentage of privileged white hipsters around here wanting to act like the urban demographic, if you catch my drift. Poured into a pint glass that used to hold a better beer. The first glass kind of tasted like the IPA I was drinking before I got too drunk to taste things and switched to the Nectar of the Gods. It's Monday, by the way, and yes, I am a lazy college student. This ish is pure Americana, which is to say that it's owned by international businesses and produced as cheaply as possible out of genetically modified ingredients. I fucking love it. Cheap, gets me kinda buzzed with 4.7(?)ish percent ABV and it's really not too bad tasting if you chill it a lot and pour it into a Kolsch glass/narrow-mouthed mug to concentrate the very mild hop nose it bears, and to distract from the corn/rice/whatever the hell adjunct grains they are putting in it. It's either the kind of beer you should drink after you polish off the good shit, or it is the good shit if you are impoverished. PBR is a timeless, shite drink that I imagine average Joes will quaff until the end of time. I anticipate talking to my grandkids about the times I've had with this beer and inadvertently turning them into Pabst-swilling lushes like myself.

P.S. Yes, I do live in Portland. I am a walking stereotype, so fucking sue me.

One of two Pepsi's of beer for me. It's just there to drink like anything else. Not expecting anything in the way of quality.

3.2/5  rDev +9.2%

Rediscovered this old friend on tap at a new local BBQ place and I have been enjoying it in cans with BBQ since. Average american canned lager that somehow tastes better then Bud or Miller. Maybe it is just warm memories of my good old high school days.

2.65/5  rDev -9.6%

OK here's my real question about PBR....Is it beer-flavored water or water-flavored beer? It looks about like water too! I guess the one up side to PBR is that it is very light and I could see it being pretty refreshing compared to most other brews. I wouldn't bother to spend my money on it though—if you're going to drink beer drink something that you can taste.

3.63/5  rDev +23.9%

hello: ah, pbr! it's just one of those things. this is the beer you conspire with when you do bad things on a friday night. this is the beer you lose track of how many you've had because the 16oz. cans are only two bucks. this beer is as much a drinking buddy as your actual drinking buddies are. its not trying for world class, its trying for honesty. this beer is no ferrari, but it is a totally sweet jeep.

appearance: nothing special, just golden ameri-beer. but it's got great cans, so i gave it a 5.0 anyway.

smell: hay? kinda skunk? meh, im not here to sniff it, im here to drink it.

taste: the first impression is just like the smell, kind of hay-ish. the middle of the taste has the tiniest kick of hops to midtounge. and the finale dries right off the back of your mouth. not a loud talker, just inofensive beery refreshment.

mouthfeel: could drink it forever. smooth as a lake in the morning. not a trace of stickiness.

3.32/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance: pours a clear straw-colored liquid. clearly a newtonian lquid.

smell: has a generic "beer" smell. i wouldn't be able to pick this out of a sample of other generic beers based on smell alone

taste: while not offensive, this beer leaves plenty to be desired for my palate (seeing as how i'm accustomed to stouts and IPAs)

mouthfeel: nice and crisp. this would be excellent for a hot summer

overall: probably worth the $20 i dropped on the case.

2.81/5  rDev -4.1%

A- Good 1" head. Piss yellow color. Lots of carbonation. Good lacing.

S- Ah just like BMC. Not what I expected. Lacking.

T- Refreshing. Definitely not bad. Hint of corn syrup that's about it for me.

M-Like water.

D-Very high. I could pound these back all day and plan on it. Goes down like water and has a little more taste than the rest of the field field PBR is in. If I need something cheap, this would most likely be it.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company