Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,588 | Hads: 5,012
2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

PBR was my first swill!

My dad would give me a "sip" from his stubby PBR bottle back in the 60's, and we had a Pabst brewery right in our town. (Whoo-hoo, when they were malting that barley, LOOK OUT. Stunk to high-heaven and there was nowhere to hide.)

Fast forward to 2014 and PBR has enjoyed a revival of sorts with the "hippster" crowd who want a cheap beer that isn't your Bud/Miller/Coors offering. Sadly, it's really only a fraction of what it used to taste like, as it has the same flavor profile but much less strength. It's kind of a PBR "near beer."

It's not bad, but I can't really ever buy this these days - not with Yeungling sitting right next to it, (Are you crazy?) PBR has to take a down-market seat next to the Busch Ice and Milwaukee's Best. In it's day, it had a solid seat next to Hamms, Falstaff, and Schlitz. (At least it hasn't suffered the fate of those labels.) (892 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +40.6%

I have really fallen in love with this beer! I always listened to my friends bash this brew and call it the nastiest of all beers. Well when I bought a 12 pack of long neck bottles, I was impressed by the taste of this kick ass brew! It easily beats Bud, Coors, and Miller and for the price you can't go wrong at all. Give it a try, and taste a true American legend. (366 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Ah yes the good old PBR. It's been quite the staple of my College life always finding it's time honored place in our refrigerator. It's a good beer for a nice cold shower after a day in the muggy New Orleans summer heat. However, this is by no means a good beer. I do prefer a Pabst Blue Ribbon over any Bud/Miller product any day, but this is only when I'm too broke to get a quality craft brew. After having an assortment of Abita and Sierra Nevada Kegs over the last month or so we got a little pour and decided to toss in a $59 keg of PBR into the kegerator. The PBR pours a light pale yellow and has a repulsive smell. After a night of drinking I woke up to find some beer stains on my shirt which were emitting quite a repulsive odor. However, the beer does go down smooth and is very very easy to drink. PBR, not the best of beers, but maybe one of the best of the cheap domestics. (888 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Yellow, like darkish urine. Zero Head, lots of fizz coming form the bottom of the glass.

S - Clean, corn/grain... Some sweetness to the nose

T - Same as it smells, I wasn't expecting it to taste this good.

M - Again the fizz, but fits the style, went down pretty easy though.

D - I could drink this as a session beer if only BMC was on tap. I didn't walk into this beer thinking I could finish a pint of it... I was wrong. (430 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

this beer might not be the best beer but at the same time, it is always a good choice. very light in any flavor except that it is a delecious "lawn mowing" brew...even though we do not have conventional lawns here in northern New mexico. great lager. maybe not as great as it was in 1893, when it was "selected America's Best". still less than $1 a beer. if you have not tried this beer. go out right now and buy some and drink it...cold or warm...

PBR or DIE!!! (463 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +34.4%

Cool, Crisp, Clean...

this is a staple in my fridge. PBR was the first beer for me and one i continue to enjoy at home and dive-bars alike. it is inexpensive, delicious and a rebel. when you go to a party it used to be that the PBR stuck out, a conversation starter, now it is a staple. the best beer in 1893 and the recipe hasn't changed. great beer, great taste, never lets me down...

great go-to-beer. (408 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

Due to monetary circumstances weekday beer splurging had to be put on hold. To the local CVS pharmacy to indulge in a frosty 6'er of PBR.
Drank my first beer out of a Dodger Blue pint glass that I had my girlfriend steal in her purse from the nearby bar, "The Roadhouse". Pours like any other Mac Lag, golden yellow body with a fat frothy white head that disapates within a matter of 15 seconds, settles then sparkles with a multitude of champengesk bubbles. Does not possess the smell of a stale tin car like other Macs, a tad yeasty and sweet like sweet grain bread. Mild malty taste, maybe a little sourdough bread, white corn, sunflower seeds, nothing overwhelming just hints of these flavors. Mouthfeel is great, smooth, mild aftertaste, does not have the pasty roof of your mouthfeel like other shitty macros. Suprisingly the warmer it gets the easier it is the drink, i'm not suggesting you let it sit under your bed for a week, but you can take your time drinkin' a sixy. Thank god for a cheap non shitty tasting beer for beer lovers that fell on hard times! (1,066 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -6.8%

This is not the best tasting lager in the world, but PBR has some good things going for it. First, it is highly affordable, aka: cheap. Second, if you go to a crappy bar and you're going to get drunk on cheap beer, a bottle or can of this looks way cooler than a Bud, Coors, or Miller. Because after all, isn't what other people think the most important thing.

That last part was a joke for those of you who can't read sarcasim. (430 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +20.1%

Good old Peeber's.

Drink this if A) you're on a budget B) you're an alcoholic. Beats Natty and all those other horrible beers any day.

Beer at it's core. Golden color, smells like beer, looks like beer. Tastes... like beer... only different.

If you're on a mission to get smashed on a budget, there's nothing better. If you're looking to sit down and enjoy a nice, hand crafted, complex alcoholic beverage, you may want to look elsewhere. (444 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

Served in a 16 oz can while watching football on a Sunday afternoon.

Appearance - Pale yellow, with a white head that fades quickly.

Aroma - Not much there, some corn and mild grassy hops.

Taste - Clean, some bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Light, crisp, and refreshing. Definitely the highlight of this beer.

Overall, nothing complex here. But it is one of my favorite American adjunct lagers, and you can't beat the price ($2/can at this game day spot). (452 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +20.1%

A staple of any good college student's diet, this is the classic "cheapest beer that isn't Steel Reserve" for the drinker with a light bank account.

A - Pee yellow. For me, it's hard to say any beer has unpleasant appearance. This one falls about as low as it can in the mediocre range.

S - Malty, sweet, very light.

T - Surprisingly good. Sweetness is enlightening. Try drinking this one after a darker beer and the sweetness will catch you off guard. Hints of grape and honey underly the high carbonation. Other than that, there's basically no taste here. What taste is there, is pleasant.

D - I could drink this all day (and I have). When all is said and done, I think this might be the most highly drinkable beer I've ever encountered. Even for an American lager, the drinkability is exceptional. The carbonation can be a bit overwhelming, but if you just take your time, it shouldn't be a barrier. (906 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +17.2%

It's PBR, an American classic, we've all had it some time or an other. I think PRB gets a bad rap, personally I love this stuff, and it's my go to beer. Is it the best beer in the world, no. Is it the best macro American beer, YES.

A- Golden, pretty standard for type, big bubbly head that goes away rather quickly.

S- Grainy, faint aroma of corn.

T- Ahh the taste...it sort of tastes like...college! that and corn malt, but in a good way, not in a nasty way like busch, a faint warming from the alcohol.

M- Fizzy, I should note that PBR is best consumed VERY COLD, and should always be done so. At first you get the fizzy feel, then the taste, followed by the warm of the alcohol. The aftertaste fades very quickly.

D- Amazing, I can drink this beer anytime, any where. I've had one PBR and have been happy, and I've had 30 and have been ever more happy. Perfect for any occasion. (886 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +5.2%

This came in a twenty four ounce can. Large oversized three-finger head that dwindled to virtually nothing in a minute or so. Pale yellow virtually see through the mug clear though not with perfect clarity. Leaves small number of small streaks of lacing. Smells like yeast. Thin watery mouth feel , can see taste and feel the carbonation though relatively moderate. The sweetness comes through most. I thought I could never enjoy cheap beer again but this is not bad for the price (about $1.40 for 24 ounces). (509 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -24.7%

2013 Pabst Blue Ribbon - Reviewed 2/17/2013

Unheard of to the my branch of the hipster nation, this format of PBR (40oz bottle) flows freely in the mythical land of "Richmonde".

Pabst Blue Ribbon, first brewed in 1844, dominated the beer market for almost a century. Its appeal to the blue collar workers of this great nation made it a household name for generations of true Americans. After hitting a slump in the 80's and 90's, the brand was revived by skinny men in tight shorts who date white women with dreadlocks. Today, Blue Ribbon is one of the most recognizable and most accessible names in the cheap beer industry.

Appearance:
When approaching a 40oz bottle of beer, a connoisseur will grade the vessel based of the 3 C's: Color, Connectivity, and Completeness. The classic Blue Ribbon label beautifully adorns the 40. While the color palate may be unimaginative, I can never give the Red, White, and Blue any thing less than a perfect score. Color: 10/10- would 'merica again. The label is well connected to the bottle with the same glue that holds american families together. The left-hand side of the obverse label is a bit ragged with a 1/4 inch separation on the bottom corner. Connectivity: 7.5/10 well adjusted and firm on the right, loose and ragged on the left side. Thanks Obama. This particular 40 is a shining example of a complete label. With just a few tears on the leftern edge, I do believe that this label is quite nearly complete. Completeness: 9/10. The dark brown bottle hides what may lie inside. Does a pale cheap beer reside within, or is it the spirit of irony that drives the hipsters to achieve their goals?

Smell:
The bottle cap releases with a defining "crack," releasing the sweet odors trapped within. A Sweet floral aroma greets the tasteful drinker inviting another whiff. Astringent notes clear the sinuses and prepare you to imbibe. Take a sniff, smells life old stock freedom.

Taste:
PBR's unparalleled flavor is perfectly preambled by its scent. Light and flavorful, notable bittering hops compliment the adjunct malts. Notes of floral hops, cream, roastiness, bread, and just a hint of barnyard cat seductively beckon for closer analysis. This beer is the pinnacle of hipster indulgence, and for good reason.

Mouthfeel:
PBR is light and crisp on the tongue, very similar to a fresh craft brew-- after being digested and peed out by Dennis Hopper on the set of Blue Velvet. Does that sound like an enjoyable evening? You be the judge. PBR is not light enough to be confused for a light beer, but not heavy enough to overpower any meal that you might enjoy with it.

Overall:
All kidding aside, Pabst Blue ribbon is a great american lager. Enjoy with a rib-eye steak with garlic whipped potatoes, or with waffle house hash browns (smothered and covered) and an American Spirit cigarette. Beware, the sound of a PBR cracking summons hipsters from miles around, but will also earn you the respect of any man over 60 who has ever worked in a steel factory. And Clint Eastwoood. So grab yourself a PBR, and don’t look back. You may be listening to vinyl records on your portable turntable at a Starbucks in a few months, but then again, you might just be taking in a part of American history. Enjoy. (3,254 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -14.6%

Found a can of this golden nectar under my couch while looking for my ferret. Poured the majority of the beer on my girlfriend in the heat of passion (she asked me to). Left a sticky residue all over my ninja turtles pillows. I cleaned them though and they are good as new. (273 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Probably the best (in my opinion) Adjunct Lager there is. I'd rather one of these than a Bud Light or whatever any day. It's very refreshing, and tastes good for what it is. Overall, it's pretty decent as a beer, especially when you realize it's competition being the other adjuncts. Definately my go to beer. (309 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -22.4%

I hate this beer, hands down! It did make Milwaukee brew city though, which is why I'm reviewing it. This beer deserves credit for its historical stature, and that's it. Taste wise, this light, watered down, canned, elderly brew has lost it over the years and is now only acceptable to MKE natives, college kids, and homeless people. No go! 1.6/5

How Many?: pshhh, I recommend none and have something good, but this a drink all night around a fire beer, don't try to impress a lady by buying her this, unless you're in the boondocks. (534 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -29.9%

There is a picture of me with a can of PBR in my right hand and my giving the thumbs up with my left hand. That was before I sipped it. After drinking it, I gave the thumbs up with both hands, but I dropped the can on the floor and the dog lapped it up. At that point, I realized that PBR is made for dogs, including an unidentifiable cross-breed with a chronic ear infection that came out of some underfunded shelter in Jersey.

I think it's time for a ribbon-cutting ceremony.

PS. This is a good beer to drink with cheap hot wings while sitting in your favorite dive under the overpass or near the airport. Just watch for the effects on your gastro-intestinal system the next morning. (692 characters)

Reviewed for what it is, this is perfect. It's the best American adjunct by far in my opinion; far beyond Bud and its ilk. It's nothing when compared to craft beers, of course, but at $3.19 per 4-pack of 16 oz. tall boys, this is my go-to when I want to get messed up for cheap (cough cough I mean it's a great session beer). Perceptible hops, an okay malt body, and no gross aftertaste make this an excellent offering for the price, considering otherwise you'd be looking at Steel Reserve or something like that. (514 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%

I read a review on this site earlier that I would like to concur with in regards to PBR. If you take this beer for what it is, a cheap(sub 6 bones a twelve) macro, and compare it with similarly styled beers, PBR is definately one of the better ones.

Smells about like you would expect from a beer like this, a little hoppy and malty. Pours a pale yellow with a little lacing that tries its best to cling to my favorite frozen mug. The area that I think puts PBR above other like beers is its flavor. PBR, to me, seems to have a different pleasant flavor, mid taste to it than other similar beers.

No offensive aftertaste or foul odors associated with it. Definately not the king of the expensive beer heap, but hey, noone ever said that it was trying to be. Definately not a first choice selection, but as an everyday regular or session beer, not too bad.

Overall a pretty good beer based on what it is, definately better than anything spat out by the big 3. And for those who want to turn their nose up at you for drinking an "old mans beer", go look in the mirror, you're getting old like he was. If it was good enough for Grandpa, its good enough for me, PBR me ASAP! (1,181 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +26.6%

Extremely affordable, drinkable classic American beer. I love the packaging, the old-school feel of it. It's like smoking Prince Albert in a corncob (which I do). Aside from the Bud/Miller/Coors triumverate, this is I think the best of the "cheap" section. Does have a slightly "fluffy,"creamy mouthfeel, as has been mentioned, and relatively light carbonation, which is a plus to me. Does NOT have the creeping nasty aftertaste that Bud and Coors tend to have. Taken altogether, I really like this stuff, and hope it never goes away. (534 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +10.4%

Look. We all know that PBR isn't a "GOOD" beer by any stretch of the imagination. But it's cheap, it does the job, and it's not offensively bad. It gets bonus points because it's more than likely the cheapest beer your bar offers, and if you're out for a long night of drinking, rather than actually relaxing and enjoying a few quality brews, is definitely a plus.

it tastes faintly of stale corn, it smells like the water after washing out a glass that previously held King Cobra, but it's very drinkable, especially when barely above freezing cold. (551 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +17.9%

Pabst Blue Ribbon Should hold the title still for best "American Style Lager". No, its never going to be the best beer in the world, but it beats out anything that Anheiser has to offer. its like most of the reviews say, its a great go-too for gathering around the fire, hunting, fishing, camping, sporting events. its refreshment level is high in my opinion. its a good beer after a hard days work. if im not drinking a nicer porter or stout, or if im just hanging out with some buddies, its pabst we reach for. its cheap and easy. Pabst also sits nice with a large crowd because its a beer that has ceased to bombard you with selfless advertising. In that sense its almost a "lifestlye" beer.

Pabst has a weak flavor, but just enough that when combined with its good amount of carbonation, gives you something that is easy to palette, easy to drink, and easy to finish. its like the student who always gets "C"s. never failing, but never really never going above and beyond. In that sense its dependable. (1,008 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -9.7%

Not surprised to see some reviews knocking this beer- it really gets a bad rap for being so cheap and popular among "hipsters"

A- Meh. It's a golden-yellow, visually indistinguishable from Bud & Friends (coors, miller, etc.) Hint of a head, near absence of lacing, some visible carbonation when poured.

S- Corn, but some alcohol-malt notes come through as it warms. I'm not exactly enticed, but this is a super-cheap session lager!

T- Decent! Sure, the corn is the major flavor, but there's a serious presence of malt. Although the hops are absent, this definitely doesn't taste like water.

M- Crisp and pleasant, and certainly very refreshing. The carbonation really does the job breaking up the monotonous flavor.

O- This is obviously not my favorite beer, but given the choice between PBR and the Bud & Friends cast plus boring "imports" (Corona, Heineken, Guiness), I'll take PBR if I'm planning to have more than one or two in a night. Forget the price and the stigma, try it, and you might just like it. (1,015 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Hailed by many college kids as "the best cheap beer." Cheap indeed. I will say that i have never had it out of anything but a can. Go to a frat on a friday and you'll probably find empty or half empty cans of it in a bathroom. I'm new at this so bear with me.

A: Don't know but probably looks similar to pee.

S: Smells malty, almost chewy and thin at the same time, but puts a bit of sick taste in your mouth.

T: Quite malty and mirrors the smell in the chewy and thin at the same time. However, the thin is for sure the dominant feeling. It's better than bud, but that still isn't quite positive.

M: Carb is very much present. not much else...

O: If you're looking to get drunk, or are already drunk, you won't care. Otherwise, you have to have been drinking this for years (or be a hipster) to seriously enjoy this. (822 characters)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company