Follow our progress ...

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,670 | Ratings: 5,339
2.67/5  rDev -11.3%

I can't really put my finger on it, but there is something off with this beer. The taste is just odd, and I can't exactly say why. It is not as rough going down as say, natural ice, but it is a far cry from most other pilsner beers. I picked it for two reasons. One, I wanted to get another review under my belt. Two, it's cheap. 11 dollars for a 30 pack is a good deal, but I would drink strohs first.

3.29/5  rDev +9.3%

a- Not very appealing. It looks like mountain dew.

s - smells like soda water, pretty much.

t- taste is actually not that bad. Very bready, grainy. Not the best beer in the world, but certainly not half as bad as bud light.

m- Mouthfeel is moderate. Not particularly thick or too watery.

d - VERY easy to drink. I finished off a 24 fl oz can in 3 minutes flat.

I just wish PBR had Budweiser's reputation, because it's much better. The color is about a shade darker, and it actually has some flavor to it.

3.03/5  rDev +0.7%

When I drink PBR, I like to pour it into a goblet for comedic value. You would be surprised at the head you get on this most unlikely of beers.

I then pretend to be a pretentious coinsurer and enjoy all that great corn flavor courtesy of the cheap adjuncts they brew with. I sip from my goblet slowly and reflect on life's gifts to me.

But seriously, for $4 a six pack, you could be doing a lot worse.

3.13/5  rDev +4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Where do we begin. The memories abound in my mind of wonderful times and this satisfying beverage. I drink this when I'm rich, sober, poor, and drunk. It has never failed to satisfy me. She never tastes as nasty as fish, given bad head, or failed to pleas. Three important ways this beer is better than other beers. While not spectacular in any specific way, as a total experience it proves to be more than the sum of its parts. This beer is my best friend, always there to console me. I know people who hate it, and those who love it. It is the beer for the open-minded, just as is the bud light for the closed.

Hail to Pabst!

3.94/5  rDev +30.9%

Love this stuff! Cheap, but a hella lot better than any other American Lager! (i.e Buttwieper) I just picked up a 30 pack (times are tough) and was pleasantly surprised by the familiarity from my college days. It's been a while, but I have to say for a cheap beer, this stuff delivers....

3.08/5  rDev +2.3%

I figured it fitting to review PBR as my first beer, because it is my fall back when I have no liquid funds for good beer.

Appearance: Light yellow, decent head, lacing non-existent. Nothing special here.

Smell: Pretty weak smell, but pick up hints of corn, hops, and malt.

Taste: It tastes similar to the smell. Subtle flavors of hops and malt that balance out pretty good. It is definitely not the strongest tasting beer in the world, but hey it's 15 bucks a 30-pack.

Mouthfeel: Think BMC, pretty similar to the big three.

Drinkability: This is where I feel PBR shines. The smooth, balanced, and not overly-strong PBR can be drank in the dozens. Great for tail-gating, block parties, and basically situations where you will be drinking all day.

2.82/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Has a nice deep yellow color, pours with some carbonation and small head. Smells like corn and grain with little hops. Overall taste is dry with a slight carbonation. You can feel a mild malted flavor on the back end that sets it apart from some of the others in class. Overall a simple easy beer with no special surprises. Good on a hot day or just when you want a light feeling beer, not bad but very basic.

3.3/5  rDev +9.6%

Pabst gets such a bad rap -- but then when you ask people who bag on it if they've ever tried it...

This was a stray 24oz can found in a grocery store. Haven't seen a 24oz PBR before or since. Nice, light gold color. Good head which lasted. The taste was very good, except for a slightly soapy tinge that remained constant throughout the session.

Gotta love bars that have Pabst on tap. It was the house beer of Kleine's, the best damn bar that Fremont, California will ever know -- and is still available at Golden Boy pizza in San Francisco's North Beach.

If you haven't had a Pabst, please withhold judgement until you tried it.

3.47/5  rDev +15.3%

I don't know how people can give low ratings to a beer that was awarded a blue ribbon. Blue! Not red, not yellow... I mean, c'mon!

Serving type: poured from can to mouth. Seriously, I don't know what it looks like, and I don't care.

Speaking of serious, now I will be. Serious. This beer surprised me. I like a good macro lager now and then. Particularly when I'm broke. It's called rationalization.

Anyway this one's not bad. At all. This is what I imagine macro lagers all tasted like back in the day. Cold, yes. Watery, yes. But there is some flavor here. I wouldn't call it hops exactly, but something. Something more than your typical BMC.

This has officially replaced Old Style as my cheap lager of choice. How's that for high praise?

1.53/5  rDev -49.2%

A Pale yellow and fairly translucent. Light white and utterly lacking retention with a permanent sticky lace

S Weak notes of hopps and grain

T Very hoppy with almost no grain. Weak and watery with a hint of tin foil. Yes. Tin foil.

MF A bit harsh and soapy.

Drinkability is fairly low. The sour bitter sting of hopps seems not quite right.

Overall this beer is not something i'd buy, but I still like it over other macros such as the dreaded bud. If nothing else i'll drink it in honor of blue velvet. PBR!

3.4/5  rDev +13%

Ah, yes. PBR. The God of all cheap beers. The only way to drink one is via can...even the bottles just don't seem to do the trick.

Pours typical clear/lager color. Feels very light and not overbearing. Easily drinkable and for what it is, has a nice clean, crisp flavor.

Perfect for tailgating, large get-togethers, or having a nice beer after a long day of yard work. Whatever the occassion, PBR doesn't fail to deliver the basic incentives of beer drinking.

I've been drinking PBR since I've been drinking beer. I've drank it from tin cans, aluminum cans, glass longneck bottles, and kegs. The only one I can't recommend is the tin cans, and they don't make those anymore anyway.

Where I grew up in the midwest, PBR was available everywhere. Every place that sold beer had six and twelve-packs of PBR cans, and every bar had it in kegs and/or bottles and/or cans. I drank many a pitcher of Pabst with friends over the years, and one of its best qualities is that it has always tasted the same. A nice strong, grainy American lager flavor. That flavor has virutally disappeared from American beers; replaced by the watered-down taste of the various versions of Budweiser, along with every light beer. Schlitz (owned by PBR) has recently come out with what is supposed to be its 60's formula at a much higher price, but you can still get the old formula Pabst for the regular price. It has never changed, and it's probably the best remaining example of a premium American beer.

I prefer bottled beer myself, and seldom bother with a glass. When you open a bottle of Pabst you are rewarded with a grainy, alcoholic aroma, not in any way overpowering, though. The taste that follows is clean and sharp, again with a grainy flavor that always occurs in a good American-style lager.
I judge this beer as an American lager. I prefer Bocks myself, but you can't really compare Bocks to lagers or to wheat beers, and so on. And as an American lager, Pabst Blue Ribbon is as good as any.

2.73/5  rDev -9.3%

It is what it is. This is PBR. It's not trying to be anything it's not. This beer is for the funnel and hose not for pouring into a glass and smelling and feeling and....tasting.

It's fizzy and over carbonated and lacking any worthy taste but it's what I want if I have to go the piss-water route. It's not the big 3 (Miller, AB, Coors)!!

You many notice the 5 rating in drinkability and be wondering what I'm smoking. Dude! Any beer you can shotgun is exceptionally drinkable. It's also damn close to water.

Hey...it won a blue ribbon at some point, didn't it?

2.96/5  rDev -1.7%

I've drank this warm and cold from a bottle, a can, and a tap. In all cases it looks like piss mixed with seltzer water and tastes like water. There really is no smell or taste other than a generic "beer". If you only want to get drunk it does the trick. If you want to get hung over it will also do the trick. It isn't as cheap as it used to be. I can get a 12 pack of High Life or Natty Light cheaper than I can get a 6 pack of PBR. It is easy to put away a 12 pack of this beer and not feel disgusted. Most drinkable of all the "cheap" beers.

This is hands down the most underrated and unappreciated beer in American history. In most places you can purchase a 30 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon for about the same price as a 30 pack of keystone light. And not only does it taste better than cheap college party beers, it tastes much better than many of its fellow American Lagers. I personally think that this beer blows Budweiser out of the water, and at about half the price, I'm not sure how you could argue that.

3.65/5  rDev +21.3%

This is my go to beer. I try a bunch of beers and always come back to PBR. Its already one of the better AAL's out there. The mouthfeel is decent, it's not strong and does the job. no chemical taste or weird flavors. It's on par with Budweiser and you get a free 6 pack for the same price. Can't say anything bad about Pabst.

3.99/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 4.5

appearance-clear, carbonated, golden

smell-smells alot different than the budweisers or coors banquets and i really like it. doesnt smell hoppy at all but smells pretty good

taste-best tasting beer ive ever had. even when warm this beer tastes good. no noticable hops or anything like that but i think the corn gives it a good taste as well.

feel- feels like any other big corporate beer.

overall-best tasting beer ive had. definatly recomend anyone to try it.

3.63/5  rDev +20.6%

Listen--this isn't a great beer. BUT, it is the best of its breed. American Macro Lagers are expected to be light-colored and virtually flavorless, with little-to-no hop aroma. And this dive-bar classic does it without making you feel like you're drinking a Men's-Room Special. The body is slightly more full, more malt-driven than your Bud or Miller varieties, and it delivers a surprisingly complex (albeit slight), clean, almost-citrus like finsh that at least gives you some indication that you've just taken a sip of something other than water. Add in the nostalgia factor (which is no small part) and you're looking at a classic American brew that definitely has a time and a place to be enjoyed. Appreciate it for what it is, my friends.

Average.threes across the board. is that bad? nope. not to me.
most of the offerings from B/M/C wouldn't get a two out of me.
as mass produced canned lager goes, PBR is still one of the best of a bad bunch. it won't make you do backflips for joy at the wonder of it, but it's a good cheap drinkable cookout beer.

2.25/5  rDev -25.2%

This is an okay beer. Red White and Blue can = Patriotic. But I think budweiser takes the crown for that category.

Pretty boring taste although very smooth and easy going down. Not too many hops, most beer lovers I think would not love this beer but it is better than other more common lagers.

3.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Served in a 16 oz can while watching football on a Sunday afternoon.

Appearance - Pale yellow, with a white head that fades quickly.

Aroma - Not much there, some corn and mild grassy hops.

Taste - Clean, some bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Light, crisp, and refreshing. Definitely the highlight of this beer.

Overall, nothing complex here. But it is one of my favorite American adjunct lagers, and you can't beat the price ($2/can at this game day spot).

2.96/5  rDev -1.7%

Good cheap beer.

APP: Light yellow with decent head retention for a light beer

SML: There is no unique smell. It smells like any other light beer, subtle and bland.

TST: Surprisingly tasty. Despite cheap and light, it has a deeper and more complex malty taste than most light beers.

MTH: Decent aftertaste that does not invade the senses. Refreshing.

DRK: As good from the first sip to the last.

2.73/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Pours a nice straw color, with about a fingers worth of head that disappears way to soon. In my opinion it looks good for an Adjunct Lager.

S: Pretty typical malt and cereal grain smell

T: A bit of a let down, A bit of sweetness, a hint of malt and grain, I think I tasted a hop...one hop in a Sixteen ounce can. It's just a hair above Bud for flavor.

M: Light bodied, very light bodied, just a hair above water.

O: I'm rather disappointed, don't get me wrong I wasn't hoping for craft brew quality, but I was hoping for a decent beer. PBR is barely above Budweiser as far a brews go. Oh well pretty average for an adjunct lager.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

For the price you could definitely do much worse. It's easy to drink, with a sweet malt flavor and a slightly bitter after taste. Not the most flavorful beer, but not as bad a many beers in the same price range. Not bad for a hot summer day or if u are planning on consuming at least several beers in one siting,

2.4/5  rDev -20.3%

I only gave this beer a two for the mouth-feel and the fact that I used to love this garbage. This is one of the smoothest beers in the world. (Or at least America) I loved this beer so much, I drank it all the time in college. I even had friends laugh at me for enjoying this while they were drinking Craft Beers and stuff. I loved the stuff. However, I noticed that the company must have done something to the recipe because over time it tasted awful. There was a skunky, garbage, and despicable feeling to the entire beer. It tasted like a bear pissed in my mouth. I don't drink it no more. It sucks.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company