Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros

I saw that this did a lot better on here than I would have anticipated so I decided to experiment. At $6.79 a 12 pack how could you go wrong?

Good news is it's not as bad as I thought. Bad news is, it's still pretty bad.

A - nothing special - looks like yellow cheap beer from my college days

S - Honestly, nothing really positive to say here with the smell.

T - Taste is very malty but not terrible.

M - Honestly, this is where the beer does well. The mouthfeel has a carbonation that pops

D - I have to say that I could see myself drinking this beer during the summer in a session but I'm going to put the rest of this 12 pack on hold for now...

3.58/5  rDev +21.8%

Ok, I've never had a PBR. There, I said it. Since I do these things on the fly I get to share my first PBR experience with the BA world.

Ok, not too bad. Yellow, very bubbly and adjuncty. But, wait. Is that lacing? Cool. Aside from that, though, pretty average.

Yea, there's a reason this is in a can. Not too nice on the nose. Sweet, doughy, a little skunky, the usual.

I have to admit I snuck a taste from the can before I wrote the other sections. And what a pleasant surprise. I was expecting pure nastiness, but this is actually decent. Well, decent for the style. It's like a sweet and better balanced adjunct.

It's a bit watery with average carbonation. Not bad, but par for the adjunct course.

Ok, on taste alone this was pretty drinkable, at least if you're not expecting beer brilliance, but a decent easily accessable brew. I might even pay for the next one.

4.05/5  rDev +37.8%

A: Straw in color with moderate lacing and little in the way of head. These are all common amongst this style, but the PBR pulls it off a touch better.

S: Nose is well presented, suggesting corn flakes and cream of wheat.

T: Dry, yet, packed with a healthy dose of American Adjunct Lager goodness. The corn, which can quickly become cloying, is used in just the right proportion, giving a delicious cereal wholesomeness.

M: Light, clean, and well carbonated. Perfect for anything from soothing a dry throat, to washing down a plate of wings, and anything in between.

D: This is my stand-by when it comes to cheap beer. As much as I like RIS's and Barleywines, this beer is perfect when I want something light, but don't want to pay for the good (German) stuff.

1.92/5  rDev -34.7%

1.5/5  rDev -49%

3.05/5  rDev +3.7%

Very pale straw gold in colour. Thin head doesn't stick around for very long, and doesn't lace. Smells mildy grainy with a hint of hops. Tastes lemony with a bit of sweet grain. Extremely light bitterness. While it has a bit more body than other adjunct lagers, this still feels very light. It's soft & restrained (for the style) carbonation contributes to it's slightly fuller mouthfeel. Other beers of this type tend to have a more prickly carbonation that, when combined with their light body, make the beer feel a bit thinner. A smooth and quenching lawn mower beer.

2.75/5  rDev -6.5%

3.48/5  rDev +18.4%

Hmmmm. I figured I'd sample the new US owned brewery leaders' product. Haven't had one since 1983, so, here goes!

A: poured from a 24oz-er into a pils glass. Pale yellow, decent head.

S: Hey, smells like a beer. Not flat smelling like other macro lagers!

T: sweet malts give way to bitter hops. Slight metallic taste, no after taste.

M/D: Very impressed. For a low buck macro, I prefer this to Bud or Miller.

I now this sounds borderline, well, assinine, but, it really reminds me a a New Glaurus lager I just had yesterday, called Totally Naked. I'm impressed.

2.3/5  rDev -21.8%

16 oz Can left in my fridge, thought I'd give it a serious review...
Poured into a Spaten Octoberfest Pint

A ~ Pale as hell. Straw that has been soaking in water and dried in the sun.

S ~ Worst part about adjuncts is the smell. Metal and watered down corn.

T ~ Dead, dead Hops. Rice and Corn. Lots of water and that damn stale/dead hop bite that all of these non-bud adjunct lager's have.

M ~ Cloying. Metallic. Alcohol lingers even after just one.

D ~ Better than B/M/C but still pretty shady stuff. Fine for a cookout with many friends.

Overall ~ If your gonna drink PBR, get it on Tap. Can's are bogus and impart too much on the flavor. Or just don't don't drink it at all, either/or...

Prost.

1.75/5  rDev -40.5%

2.88/5  rDev -2%

12oz can poured cold into pint glass

Golden clear beer , with a nice fizzy head that retreats quickly.

Smell is rather bland , corny adjuncts , smells like a dive bar Sunday morning.

Taste is a little sweet , some malt tones with no perceivable hop presence. A little tinny flavor comes through. No aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin , light , good carbonation.

Drinkabitly is OK , leaving me in a search for the perfect summer quencher.

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%