Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,599 | Hads: 5,044
1.45/5  rDev -52.9%

First had: can from some dude's cooler.

Yay! Cheap beer!

Pours a pale yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates to a fizzy layer of bubbles. Weak aroma of corn and grains, memories of pitchers and cheap dates. Tastes the same: corn, grains, watered down grass juice with the possibility of a hop sneaking in. Light mouthfeel, and goes down eeeeaaasssyyyy and ends with regret, but a still-full wallet. Should be avoided unless absolutely necessary and/or you're broke. (475 characters)

Yeah, at 12.50 for a 30 pack of cans it's hard to beat this for a lawnmower macroswill selection. I prefer the bottles in overall taste, but poured out of the can this one has a very smooth creamy mouthfeel. Fizzy yellow with a frothy white going on, this beer is designed for people like me. In college and broke, so as far as aroma goes it's has a cereal grain adjunct based aroma but it's actually not that bad kind of pleasant in fact. I can definitely get down with this beer, for it's taste, price, and flavor can't go wrong. Taste is sweet with some balancing hop bitterness to create one of the best shittiest beers in the world. An American classic that is designed to be drank in high capacity. (704 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I had been reading with interest the many newspaper and magazine articles relating the chic-ness that this lager enjoys within the cool and cultured set, and sought out to try one of these myself and find out if I can hang with the hipsters and quaff their brew. So I elbow-jabbed that mumbling, shaggy Bohemian-type, made off with his cold tall one, and absconded to a faraway booth in this desolate rock club, pen light in hand, to shine on my notebook as I search to divine the secrets of this mystical, magical beer.

Okay, I'm lying.
In truth, well, I'm a fraud. This is my beer. If I ever praised a beer before for it's flavor, taste, or character, well, that was bull. I don't think they should have anything to do with any beverage, especially beer. Yeah, if you ever catch me without a whole case of PBR in the fridge, I must be having a bad day.

I lie again. I sample this in the spirit of honoring that adage of not knocking it if you ain't tried it. Actually, I must have tried it at some point, but how could I remember? So, here we go...
Appearance: sickly pale yellow color, very clear, just the way beer is supposed to be, dammit! Head is bone-white, fluffy, and quite prodigious, slowly, softly setling.
Aroma: very spare, bone-dry, but not terrible. Typical plain lager-y smell, without skunk or trace of adjuncts. A bit of sweetness, too, just a bit.
Taste: wetness. Nothing. The nadir, nada. Zilch. If it exists at all, it comes and goes without saying hello. Actually, again, not BAD, per se, but not really anything, either.
Body, light as can be, texture, none, finish? F'geddaboudit!
Really, there's nothing to recommend and no pleasure to be found, if you a seeker of taste in any form.
I'll quote beer scribe Stephen Beaumont's #1 reason to drink PBR, from his webite:
"You just don't care anymore."
Time spent with this beer is time wasted indeed.
This does the opposite of what a beer should do, in that it makes me more thirsty! For a real beer! (1,989 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

From 10/21/12 notes. Have had this many, many times, and had a few 16 oz. cans at Brother Jimmy's watching the Giants game. Poured into a pint glass to review it. Review #2300!

a - Pours a clear bright yellow color with one finger of fluffy white head and high carbonation evident.

s - Smells of grains, corn, a little sweet, cereal, biscuit malts, and bready malts. Not offensive but not much going on.

t - Tastes of grains, corn, water, wheat, bready malts, and lightly sweet. Matches the nose pretty closely; again, just not much going on.

m - Light body and moderate to high carbonation. Easy to drink for sure, though a tiny bit overcarbonated.

o - Overall not a good beer by any means; was actually surprised the overall rating was so high. I find it better than all other Miller products and better than Coors, and about on par with Bud Light, though slightly less watered down. Given the choice between this and a Bud Light I'd probably take a Bud Light, but I wouldn't really care either way. Not really sure why this is super popular with hipsters with so many better, also affordable options out there, but whatever. (1,132 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -5.2%

served in chilled mug

Clearly not a high quality beer. Not interesting. Not bold. But really, not too bad. I've been surprised the last couple of times I've had this on draft. No significant off-aromas or offensive taste components. IMO, PBR in a can is a different story.

PBR has a light malty aroma with no off-notes and detectable hops. Looks and tastes like a generic macro-brew. Better than the average American macro-brew for the price. (445 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours straw yellow with a fizzy head that slowly descends to a wisp. A little lacing is left.

The smell is typical macro adjuncts with some grassiness thrown in.

Slick hops and a touch of alcohol are noticeable at first. There is also some sweet malt and subtle grass. A touch of corn is hinted at as the drink progresses. Water nearly dominates after awhile, but it's not as watery as many other macros.
It has a drying quality that cuts some of its refreshingness, but maintains some aftertaste.

For a very cheap macro, it could be much worse. I had a few of these at the pool in the heat on Sunday and found that I felt more like I was drinking beer than if I had many the big, more expensive macros. If you are in a place that allows only cans, you can do worse, especially for the price. (802 characters)

3.08/5  rDev 0%

Beer poured from a can into a pint glass. Beer is yellow and completely clear. Forms a thin white head of small bubbles and there is a lot of carbonation. No lacing.

A little sweet in the nose, smells a little of cereal grain or corn.

Medium to low body, there is a strong aftertaste, mild sweetness up front. Aftertaste negatively affects drinkability. Overall not as good as I remember. (390 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +1.9%

Served in a can at Nag's Head Pub in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a crystal clear pale straw yellow in color with light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall bright white head that slowly reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of adjunct malts (rice and grain) with light hints of grassy hops.

T: The taste is similar to the smell, there is not as much sweetness as many of the other beers in the style. There is a light to moderate presence of adjunct malts giving the beer a rice and grainy taste along with some light grassy hops. Light bitterness that does not linger.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin and crisp.

O: Easy to drink, refreshing, and very sessionable - I could put down many of these when outside on hot summer day. This beer is much better than I expected, my memory had me thinking this was going to be pretty awful but it is much better than most BMC beers. (1,107 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured into pint glass.

Fizzy white head goes to the top of the glass then settles quickly to a very thin layer. No lace. Color is a very clear straw yellow.

Aroma: Far better than any BMC product. Grainy and flat hops. Damn, I can actually enjoy the smell of this beer.

Taste: This has to be one of the first macos that I have actually enjoyed somewhat. It just seems to hit the spot. Grainy taste, dry hops. Nothing to huge, but not something I just want to spit out.

Mouthfeel: A little crisp, but somewhat smooth. Ends with a very sticky aftertaste.

Overall, this is one macro I could keep stocked in my fridge. I never thought I could enjoy a beer this cheep, but it exceeded my expectations by far. (709 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Had at a BBQ over the weekend.

A: Typically, I don't bother pouring PBR into a glass when I drink it, usually straight from the can. It pours a clear yellow with a foamy white head with a little bit of retention and little lacing.

S: Not a whole lot going on, a little bit of grain, a hint of floral hops, and a slight metallic note.

T: A bit more grain on the flavor profile, some corn, and a little bit of sweetness.

M: Light to medium bodied with a good bit of carbonation.

O: A pretty solid american adjunct lager. Better than most that are readily available. (573 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +3.2%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a crisp, pilsner malt and adjunct scent that's light and dry. The taste is decent. It has a smooth pilsner malt flavor that low on hops and clean in the finish. It's a warm weather brew, no doubt. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a highly drinkable beer. It's one of the only macro lagers I drink. (468 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to bman1113vr for sharing this silver can of goodness.

The beer pours a very light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is not good with lots of corn and wheat. The flavor is full of adjuncts with tons of corn, rice and wheat. Overall the aroma and flavor are incredibly bland. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This is a beer with nothing positive going on. (378 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +4.2%

The beer is light golden and transparent with a half inch of pure white head. Aromas of grain, bread, corn, adjuncts. Not as sweet and off putting as the BMC highly marketed crap that is seemingly everywhere. Grainy with some cereal-like character. Clean and refreshing. Basically, exactly what you would expect from a decent adjunct lager. Ok. (344 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

07/25/09- Had on tap at Windy City Pizza in San Mateo, CA.

Presentation- Via the tap into a pint glass. $2.25 every day..

Appearance- Pale golden color. Looks a bit watery. Had a solid 3/4 inch head which fades quickly. Leaves slight spots of fading lace behind.

Smell- Light notes of corn with a bready note carrying the beer.

Taste- Corn comes through, but not as much as in most macros. Heavy bready malt flavor. Hops..not really, but good flavor considering.

Mouthfeel- Pretty clean and crisp. Solid medium carbonation level.

Drinkability- Has always been my go to macro when I have one...the only one I stock on a semi-regular basis in my own home. Drinkable any day. (678 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a pale gold with 1/2" of dense, foamy head. Good retention. The smell has notes of grains, pale malts, straw, and earthy, grassy hops. The taste is straw and grains with grassy hops. There's a slight bitterness, but overall well balanced. The mouthfeel is light, smooth, and crisp.

Of all the adjunct lagers this one probably comes closest to actually duplicating a pilsner. (381 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -31.8%

Even an agressive pour resulted in barely a half a finger of rocky, bone-white head with lousy retention, ending in wisps. There was no nose to speak of. Well, maybe a light sweetness, but barely discernible. The color was beautiful deep-yellow/light-gold with NE-quality clarity. The mouthfeel was thin, watery and it had a light sweetness on the tongue. The finish was light, cottony, non-existent. I might as well not even have been drinking beer. This could have been air, it was so light as to float away. Aarrgh!

A couple of last thoughts, both allusions to movies. In "Blue Velvet", Dennis Hopper as Frank has a convo with Kyle MacLachlan. "Hey, kid, whadddya want to drink?" "Heineken, please." "Heineken?!? F**k that s**t! PABST. BLUE. RIBBON, mister!" How about neither?

In "Repo Man", Otto looks wistfully at The Circle Jerks, now reduced to lounge singers in gold lame outfits, shakes his head and says, "And to think, I used to like those guys." And to think, I used to drink PBR on Wednesday nights at the Sub Cafe in New London, Connecticut like it was going out of style. (1,089 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -16.2%

On tap at a Irish Pub in Philly, been meaning to get back to this one for a bit.

A- PBR is a crisp light yellow color with just the faintest little cap i've ever seen, it eventually goes into nothing leaving a desd looking drink.

S- Corn and grain, no more no less.

T- There is more flavor in here than I was expecting but it isnt much more than some grain and corn, some sweet malts.

M- Not as lively on tap but I am unsure on the bar that was serving it, who knows how long this was sitting in the line. Below medium bodied.

D- I think I would enjoy this more out of a can, the appeal of this went away after 6 oz or so. Did not finish my pint. (652 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +21.4%

24 oz. tall-boy can,

A: Pours a typical, pale yellow lager colour, but the head is really nice and leaves some nice lacing in a pint glass.

S: Light, typical of a macro lager, but still more robust and has more substance than average, mainly of malt and corn.

T: A very good taste for a macro, a simple malt and corn flavour, with a hint of hops that's easy to drink.

M: Very good, again for a macro, medium-bodied, not over carbonated, creamy and smooth.

D: A great example of a macro lager, my favourite of the style so far, much better and tastier than BMC. (565 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +14%

This beer is an old friend from long ago and when I saw it on tap at the Burger Bar (Las Vegas) I had one for old times sake.

Not sure about other beers in this style (on tap) because I don't come across any, but this looked fine, golden, bright and clear, with a good white head on top.

No real aroma to get your nose round, hints of a hop maybe, but gets my regular score of three for a non-smelling lager/pilsner.

Refreshing and thirst quenching, just like a lager should be, ideal throat cleaner before I hit the bars heavy brews.

I enjoyed it, brought back a couple of memories of drunken sports fields and tins laying around, happy days. (647 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

Why do some establishments chill the hell out of their mugs? That's what I was thinking when I received my 25oz sample at an ice cold temperature. It's still decent ice cold, but it tastes better at merely cold (it took time for my sample to warm up), as the corn and hop flavors loosen up. Simple and refreshing beer without any astringent flavors. (349 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

For April Fool's Day Vine Street Pub had this on nitro...and I had to try it.

Looks great. Clean, clear, nice foamed up white lace. For the style it's pretty.

Then it goes down hill. The stale grain and rice smell just...smells. Old socks. At least it is dumbed down a bit

Flavor, again, is dumbed down. Weak, but still not good. Just stale, old and a 'bad' sweetness.

The promising thing is that it is pretty darn smooth (and cold). I got to about 4/5ths through before I had to stop for the love of all that is holy. The carbonation would do well towards the end. It's just flat feeling now. (600 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +6.5%

What is it about this beer. I'm not a dirty hipster and I can afford to drink better. But $1 PBR drafts come along and I can't help myself. It isn't much to look at and the smell is only sweet and grainy. But the taste is smooth with a touch of malt. As it warms the adjunct sweetness is a bit much for me, but for what it is, it aint bad. If they just put a little more hops in here we'd have a really decent beer. Alas. (421 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -0.3%

A. 12 oz. can poured into a wine glass. Yeah, I have a sense of humor, and want to take a glimspe of this spectacle. The palest of pales with a bubbly,frothy head that recedes gradually to nothing.

S. Grains, cooked corn, hint of malt.

T. Crisp tea like hop bite flashes for an instant, complimented a semi-sweet light malt body. Fairly well balanced and unoffensive for a macro style lager.

M. Light bodied and fairly smooth. Best if served ICE cold and consumed fairly quickly.

D. This is average drinking here. But compared to most macros, this is exceptional. Selected America's Best in 1893. As far as macros are concerned, it probably still is. (654 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -1.9%

1B
Pours a medium straw to yellow color with a smallish bubbly white head that slowly dissipates. Light sweet grainy malt aroma with just a hint of corn and light fruitiness. Small bit of floral hops aroma. Sweet almost honey like malt flavor with a bit of fruity bready graininess. Very little hop flavor but a firm hop bitterness. Light to medium body with a spirited level of carbonation that pricks the tongue with every sip, and a sweet slick watery mouthfeel. Worlds above the last beer, decent enough and probably close to style, but a bit boring. (554 characters)

24oz can at the Wintersun concert at House of Blues LA on 11/29/2012. I paid $10 for this. Drinking it out of the can so who knows what color it is. Smells like rice, corn, and pils malt. A little metal. Taste is inoffensive. Sweet and corny adjunct lager with grainy notes. Tame bitterness. Not terrible but I wouldn't recommend paying $10 for 24oz. This is difficult for me to rate. To style it's spot on, but it's a wretched style. (434 characters)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company