Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,599 | Hads: 5,045
3.62/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours a clear straw sort of color with a quickly dissipating head leaving no lace, bubbles flying up from the bottom. Mostly a grain smell, pretty clean, with a hint of floralness. Grainy in taste, but not in a bad way, a little bit of corn, and only a touch of hops. Taste almost dances on your tongue with the amount of carbonation. I imagine this as a great beer with many different foods. Higher carbonation, but seems to be a nice addition to this one. Light to medium body, I expected very light body, but having a little something there is nice. I usually don't save any room for macro's in my fridge, but I may be able to squeeze a little room for this. Seems like this would be good for many occasions, BBQ, lawnmowing, fishing, just being out and about and just wanting something simple. (797 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -16.6%

PBR poured a clear golden color with a one inch head that went away rather quickly. Aroma was citrusy and fruity with a faint whiff of corn. Taste was very fruity and spritzy with a slight hop bitterness and some malt character in the finish, but not much. This beer had an incredibly thin mouthfeel. It was pretty bland and watery tasting, which is the standard for most macros I guess. I could see this as a refreshing drink after mowing the lawn in 90 degree temperatures. (475 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -16.2%

My choice for "Golf" beer. Forms a fizzy 2 finger head that falls to ring style, leaving behind sliding lace. Massive amounts of carbonation that is common to the style, nothing earthshattering here. Light Yellow color.

A bit maltier than its cousin's, and a bit more hops, not much more but enough to make a difference. Usual adjunct, corn syrup, rice lager. you just get the feeling its so highly filtered that its filtered itself out of taste. Very crisp and clean, leaves me desiring something to make it interesting.

Notes: I'm in....Pabst and Budweiser are the two macros that see time in my fridge. They know how to make a fairly tasteless beer without any "edges" or something to possibly send you to another brand. It is what it is....a cheap brew that doesn't offend. (783 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -50.3%

There is no reason anyone should pay to drink PBR. Even for college students buying a keg, I would be embarrased to tell people I bought this beer. It stinks and tastes foul. Its only saving grace is when the beer comes from a bar tap, possibly because it is fresher (I hope), but coming from a can, run from this beer.

With other options on the grocery shelf--namely Miller High Life and Milwaukee Best Light--the low price is not even a saving grace. Some people get used to the taste from buying the cheap beer on the shelf, but I honestly can't support anyone even 'tasting' this beer. (592 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +4.2%

So I was at a bar, and didn't feel like anything but a thirst quencher, and as I'd never had PBR, I thought I'd give it a go, not expecting anything except a cool, boring liquid. Well, it pours a nice golden color with a surprisingly long lasting head. Really, little smell to it, just a thin grassy, grainy malt. Good medium body and nice carbonation up front, with a grainy malt through the middle, and if I remember, a slightly bitter ending. Basically, pour this and don't give me the name, and I'd mistake it as a micro. maybe. Pretty drinkable beer though, a real thirst quencher. (586 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +19.5%

This beer is actually tasty on tap. The taste and smell are about the same as from the can, but the appearance and mouthfeel are quite a bit superior. It feels fuller and smoother. The head on the beer is also creamier and softer. Good choice for a cheaper keg at a party. The less-harsh carbonation also makes this more drinkable. As far as American Macro Lagers go, this is up there. (385 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -10.1%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. Thin white lacing atop a clear golden yellow body. Typical macro look.

To the nose, the malty sweetness is in the forefront. Clean and organic aromas with a touch of floralness.

In the mouth, malts and hops are evenly distributed forming a nice stable drinker. Very smooth and throaty, not too sweet. Carbontation makes for a slight metallic undertone - but the finish is dry and clean.

Musings: Along with Schlitz, my macro of choice for the pounding sessions. I don't find the flavor of the PBR as noticeably sweet as the other macros. I like it from the can and not the bottle. (624 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

This is one of the best mass produced beers I have run across. I prefer it to many of the others in it's class. I feel it packs more flavor and color then many of it's competitors. It pours a nice yellow and has a faint citrus taste to go along with it. (253 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -6.8%

clear to watery and brownish. corny malt odor is weak and watery smelling. taste is ok for its type. regular old macro flavor. sweet, grassy, corny, some malt taste evident. kind of watery but pretty drinkable overall. tastes like dave's party pants. (250 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +8.4%

This beer pours a very clear golden yellow with a thick fluffy white head. The smell is sort of fruity or grainy. The taste is a little sweet up front, but not cloying. Definitely a good choice if you're going macro. Clean, crisp taste not bad compared to the competition. (272 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +17.9%

Listen--this isn't a great beer. BUT, it is the best of its breed. American Macro Lagers are expected to be light-colored and virtually flavorless, with little-to-no hop aroma. And this dive-bar classic does it without making you feel like you're drinking a Men's-Room Special. The body is slightly more full, more malt-driven than your Bud or Miller varieties, and it delivers a surprisingly complex (albeit slight), clean, almost-citrus like finsh that at least gives you some indication that you've just taken a sip of something other than water. Add in the nostalgia factor (which is no small part) and you're looking at a classic American brew that definitely has a time and a place to be enjoyed. Appreciate it for what it is, my friends. (744 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -18.5%

Don't let retro lovers convince you that this is a good beer. Sure it may be cleaner tasting than Bud, but it is still a macro adjunct lager. So speaking of adjuncts, aroma is of sour corn mash and yeast. Pours a nice golden color, brilliant to the light. For a macro, nice amount of hops bitterness, zero hop aroma. Fairly light bodied for a non light beer. (358 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -28.6%

Very bright clear yellow, watery thin and no hop aroma nor much malt either, very grainy in aroma and in flavor, yet this grain isn't real strong so you can power tons of this stuff. It is difficult to write two hundred and fifty characters to describe a beer that has nothing really going on other than the fact it makes you pee and make you look studly because you cam power a case and still operate a lawn mower...hence the name lawnmower beer (446 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -16.6%

88 cents for a pint can, not bad price for macro stuff. Pours a piss yellow, smells quite grainy and sweet. Tastes sweet with an unusual citrusy flavor but it's kind of weak. Mouthfeel is watery as normal for macros i've had. Very drinkable as this is supposed to be for a mass market. It won't win any awards except best in redneck category!! (343 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%

The beer pours a pale yellow, about average for a macro lager. It smells grainy, not much more than that. Tastes similar to the smell, a mild grainy maltiness, with a small but noticable amount of hops. PBR goes down easy enough, and at $48 for a 1/2 barrel, its the perfect beer for a college party. I would still take it over most macros, given the choice. (358 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured a pale yellow hue, with soapy head. The smell was somewhat unpleasant, with an almost malt liquor type character.

The taste was sour sweet with a very light malt character.

The aftertaste is too much to handle, so I suggest drinking alot of it fast to dull your senses.

As we all know, this beer has seen a resurgance with the trendy emo crowd over the last few years. I was fiirst introduced to it in college. It is very cheap, and as far as cheap crappy beers go, this is my favorite.

At the bar where I reviewed this, the PBR was three bucks a pitcher, hence, the reason I drank it. Though, I do usually get a bad hangover after drinking alot of this stuff, I still consider it my favorite macro. (719 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -29.9%

Oh boy. What can I say. Basic yellow color, no head to speak of. Smells and tastes like cheap malt with almost zero hops. Mouthfeel is kinda crisp, but not really. Why did I bother to review it? I'll tell you why. I drink it almost every sunday, for a buck, served from the tap in a PBR goblet no less (which i find totally hysterical), with my chicken dinner at the tavern. And despite the fact that it sucks, I enjoy it every time. (433 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -21.1%

A - Deep straw yellow with a two finger white head that dissipates into nothing in seconds. Some light bubbling is visible.

S - Slight grass, cooked squash, corn and a stale grain odor (likely rice).

T - Initially a strong rice malt with notes of sweet corn. Nothing too offensive, but definitely nothing good.

M - Thin, carbonation way too high, yet refreshing.

D - Mild flavor, easy to drink. Absurdly easy to session. I would pick other beers over PBR for food choices though. (491 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into a pint glass. This beer is almost always drank out of the can and sometimes the bottle. The appearance is a slightly SLIGHTLY darker straw color. The head is there for a second and quickly turns into a collar. If you pour agressively it's usually a bit impressive looking. The smell - is just normal APA beer which is still good to me as a smell - that's what we're going for here. The taste is a bit of dull malts with a slightly crisp hop finish. ( still good) The mouthfeel is sticky. Drinkability is quite good as long as you don't get tired of it and want something high-brow. (593 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -11%

I lived off of this beer back in the college days, long before the Hipster Doofus' turned this into the "cool" beer.

A typical American lager, not much of an aroma, pours a crisp clear yellowish/gold color with a soapy head. Nothing surprising in the taste, not sweet like typical corn beers.

Not my fantasy island beer but if I HAD to drink this, I wouldn't complain. (375 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -39.3%

Alright, so I was out with friends and P.B.R. was on special (allegedly, it turned out it wasn't and my friend got screwed). So someone bought a bottle for me, and I decided to use the opportunity to review this 'fine American' Macro. Wasn't surprised in any way.

Pours a clear color, with a tinge of yellow. Is this water in a brown bottle with a red, white and blue label??

Smells like corn and little else. Boring.

Tastes watery, with a bit of corn presence. A bit bitter, somewhat different from what I expected. Not enough to make it very good though.

In the mouth, it does have a bit of a presence. Not as light as I thought it might be. Again some bitterness with a slight kick.

Overall, what can I say? It's a macro and cheap and not very good. One could probably easily chug a whole bunch of these. There would be no true beer appreciation, though. Next time someone offers, I'll pass. (909 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

I was at the supermarket one day, and I was looking over a fairly wide selection of beers. I had very little money on me, so I bought the cheapest beer, which was this. The 12 pack was on sale.

It pours out a nice yellow that's a bit darker than other cheap beers. The head it big when you pour it out, but subsides quickly like a soda. Smells like honey and plastic. The taste isn't so bad. It's malty with a bit of a sugary aftertaste. The hops don't really make a prescence.

The mouthfeel is really, really bad. Too many bubbles. Once you drink some of the beer, your mouth dries up immediately, which forces you to take another swig.

The drinkinkability is quite good considering all of the above. It does quench some thirst, believe me. Will I buy this beer again? Well, hopefully, it'll be just as cheap as last time. (832 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%

I read a review on this site earlier that I would like to concur with in regards to PBR. If you take this beer for what it is, a cheap(sub 6 bones a twelve) macro, and compare it with similarly styled beers, PBR is definately one of the better ones.

Smells about like you would expect from a beer like this, a little hoppy and malty. Pours a pale yellow with a little lacing that tries its best to cling to my favorite frozen mug. The area that I think puts PBR above other like beers is its flavor. PBR, to me, seems to have a different pleasant flavor, mid taste to it than other similar beers.

No offensive aftertaste or foul odors associated with it. Definately not the king of the expensive beer heap, but hey, noone ever said that it was trying to be. Definately not a first choice selection, but as an everyday regular or session beer, not too bad.

Overall a pretty good beer based on what it is, definately better than anything spat out by the big 3. And for those who want to turn their nose up at you for drinking an "old mans beer", go look in the mirror, you're getting old like he was. If it was good enough for Grandpa, its good enough for me, PBR me ASAP! (1,181 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -5.2%

Well what do you do when you are in a bar with nothing good on tap and you will be there for a few hours with company folk. Drink PBR on tap and seem cooler than everyone else that is having Coors light out of the bottle. It looks good like a golden ale and is darker than I remember, nice white head with mild staying power and even some lace. Well I wish I hadn't given up smoking as it smells like corn and reminds me instatnly of beer drinking days of yore. It doesn't taste half bad, corny and sweet with some bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is decent if a little slimy, I know slimy sounds bad but that is the only way I can desrcibe it. I had four pints in the hour+ we were there. (692 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My fathers beer. Better than Bud and has a great look in your hand. Had my first one probably 45 years ago.

Smell-very little.

Taste-hits the spot on a hot day. Crisp, clean, bubbly. Thats about it.

Mouthfeel-not bad

Drinkability-I have to have one every once in awhile , especially during a Red Sox game while eating peanuts. Not cashews, peanuts. Or State Line potato chips. Then it works. It more of a ceremonial beer than a regular drinker. (456 characters)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company