Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros

2.83/5  rDev -3.7%

Not surprised to see some reviews knocking this beer- it really gets a bad rap for being so cheap and popular among "hipsters"

A- Meh. It's a golden-yellow, visually indistinguishable from Bud & Friends (coors, miller, etc.) Hint of a head, near absence of lacing, some visible carbonation when poured.

S- Corn, but some alcohol-malt notes come through as it warms. I'm not exactly enticed, but this is a super-cheap session lager!

T- Decent! Sure, the corn is the major flavor, but there's a serious presence of malt. Although the hops are absent, this definitely doesn't taste like water.

M- Crisp and pleasant, and certainly very refreshing. The carbonation really does the job breaking up the monotonous flavor.

O- This is obviously not my favorite beer, but given the choice between PBR and the Bud & Friends cast plus boring "imports" (Corona, Heineken, Guiness), I'll take PBR if I'm planning to have more than one or two in a night. Forget the price and the stigma, try it, and you might just like it.

2.25/5  rDev -23.5%

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

2.25/5  rDev -23.5%

3.39/5  rDev +15.3%

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

2.4/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Either I can approach this beer knowing it's a dreaded American Adjunct with little to no flavor, bright carbonation and piss like appearance, and then rate it in comparison to the other Adjuncts or I could approach it as a true craft beer drinker and treat this like I would any other brewery that claims to craft its beers. Hmm.

A - Much like Bud, Miller, Coors PBR is super light and gives you a glimpse at what your palate is about to experience. PBR is a little darker...hinting that there might be at least a little more flavor to come. Still awfully light looking. A little like vitaminized urine.

S - I'm getting stale grains...slight tart yet faint aroma of the hops. It smells like bad breath, but that - since I expect this - is not too big of a deal. Am I really saying that?

T - The taste it bright with carbonation. Sweet with those stale grains and hops finding their way in my palate. You could definitely down 4 or 5 of these and press on with vigor as if you hadn't drank a single one. Not much if any alcohol taste. There is more taste than the Big Three, so if PBR was offered among the other adjuncts at a gathering, PBR would be my choice. But that is not saying much.

O - On a rating scale from 0-100 and considering PBR's competition I give it an 81. In comparison to other beers I've had and the overall taste of this beer as it stands on its own I give it a 65.

If I want a cheap beer that has a little bit of flavor (rare this is ever my desire) and there is nothing else except the big three, I would choose PBR. If this was the only beer available to me, I would be very sad, but I would drink it.

3.5/5  rDev +19%