Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
View: Beers (58) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
soju6

Missouri

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Pabst has a clear yellow color with a fizzy head and carbonation. The aroma seems to be typical but not flat or skunky. The taste was quite smooth with a slight aftertaste. It was refreshing with the carbonation. This beer is drinkable as it has withstood the test of time. It's great served cold in the summer and the price doesn't hurt either. It is far and away better than any light beer I have tasted.

I first drank this brew while riding PBR's in Viet Nam.

03-16-2010 15:53:39 | More by soju6
jeremyn

Colorado

2.98/5  rDev +1.4%

Drank this straight out of the bottle, slightly warmer than fridge temperature.

Can't really comment on the appearance since it was in the bottle.

Taste is sweet, with almost belgian-y yeast flavor. It's hard to pick out flavors. No evident hop flavor. Really mild. I would not recommend letting this warm up. It gets way too sweet and tastes... unnatural. Best very cold. Carbonation level was acceptable.

This beer is fine. My major knock is that it's a little too sweet. It actually reminds me more of soda than beer.

03-15-2010 20:23:47 | More by jeremyn
MrHassellYaHurd

Louisiana

3.43/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours into a pint glass a very light golden yellow with a big foamy, but rapidly receding head. Looks like a macro beer looks.

The nose brings a hint of grains and spicy hops in addition to a slight corny note.

The hops aren't there so much in the taste, but the barley graininess is more pronounced with less of the cooked corn taste. A step up from the big three, in my opinion.

Medium to thin body with appropriate carbonation, and pretty easily drinkable. It's not a great beer, but certainly a decent fall-back brew.

03-15-2010 04:22:32 | More by MrHassellYaHurd
cratez

Ontario (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%

473ml can from the LCBO. Pours a clear golden yellow with a thick cap of bubbly white head that subsides after a few minutes. No lace this go' round. Smell and taste are lightly floral and grassy hops, crisp cereal grains, some creamed corn, and a mild, wheat husk aftertaste. The mouthfeel is delicate, smooth, and refreshing. Finishes dry and parched on the palate. A clean and easy drinker, PBR is perfect if you want a beer that you don't have to think about. Also, the lack of metal/off flavours makes this more drinkable than its macro counterparts. Best in class for an American adjunct lager.

03-14-2010 20:49:17 | More by cratez
OnThenIn

2.78/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Two fingers of billowing white head that dissipates really quickly. The beer is a slightly golden yellow color. There is a tiny bit of lacing, but it really looked like shit.

Smell: The smell is stronger than other beers in the style. There is a definite grassy hop aroma with some adjunct aromas.

Taste: There is a bit of a sweet taste with maybe a hint of hop bitterness balancing out. The flavor is more or less a wash to be honest.

Mouthfeel: It is highly carbonated, which is per the style and rather crisp and light, while retaining a little more body than water.

Drinkability: I don't really love the really high level of carbonation, but this beer is really the best of the worst. A great beer when a cheap beer option is desired.

03-13-2010 05:24:37 | More by OnThenIn
Wasatch

Utah

2.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

03-13-2010 02:05:45 | More by Wasatch
techfed87

2.98/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into a Schlitz pilsner-style pint glass. Pours a very bubbly head. Color is a pale yellow. Smell is light malt sweetness.

First sip is quite malty. A hint of hops somewhere in it, but not much at all present.

Carbonation seems a bit forced, but within proper limits.

Overall, for being what it is, I would choose this hands down over any anheiser-busch or Coors. A very light, tasty beer!

03-13-2010 00:45:46 | More by techfed87
kflorence

A: Pours a light straw color with ample carbonation lending to a small, white head that dissipates fast.

S: Smells of malts, hops and grains... some skunky aromas in there, but not as bad as some other lagers. Pretty sweet aroma, overall.

T: Some hops, grains and a pleasant malty sweetness. Very simple and straightforward.

M: Very light and very carbonated. A bit too carbonated if I must say. It's a little better when poured, and definitely offers more body when compared to beers like MGD or Budweiser (though mouthfeel is not as good as Coors).

D: This is a very good session beer, perhaps the best for the price (I can get it on sale for about 50 cents a beer, not bad at all), body and flavor this beer offers. My lager of choice and usually whats in my fridge with the economy so shitty :)

03-12-2010 23:58:19 | More by kflorence
Otterburn

Quebec (Canada)

3.33/5  rDev +13.3%

grabed two cans for 2 dollars..cheapest beer around for sure.. perfect for a spring spa session.

crack the can, and some foam splashed around, and stayed in the can.

color is gold straw and clear, i can see in the bottom of the can..

smell like grain, malt

taste is corny and malty

mouthfeel is alright, i would say high carbonation

Drinkability: if you ask me, this beer is alright and really cheap

03-09-2010 01:47:30 | More by Otterburn
corpulent

Nevada

1.1/5  rDev -62.6%

The $1 I spent on a 32 oz. mug of this would have found a better home in the jukebox playing some Winger song.

Yeah I get it, PBR is a staple for some; an old historic beer that daddy and grandpappy used to imbibe. Cheap, too. Hobo's choice.

Looks like an average beer, smells sour. A few drinks in and my breath is so rank I have inadvertently pushed my companions and other bar patrons to a 4 foot radius around me. Sits heavy in my gut. To this day, it's the only beer I have been unable to finish, and I grew up on Rainier, Keystone, Milwaukee's Best, and Old English.

PBR's only redeeming quality is Frank Booth's ringing endorsement from "Blue Velvet."

03-04-2010 22:26:39 | More by corpulent
tippebrewcrew2

Indiana

2.98/5  rDev +1.4%

Well lets start off things on the right foot here. This beer is not the greatest or king of anything. It doesn't pose to be any of those things either. If you are going to a party and you are broke, this is the best american adjunct lager. Light hops presence but hops none the less. You can drink a ton of it and it is obviously a session beer. If you are at a place that doesn't have any micro beers worth drinking and you do not feel like scotch, go with a pbr and cheers to your grandfather while you drink it. You were probably conceived on the stuff.

02-26-2010 06:22:06 | More by tippebrewcrew2
zoso493

2.93/5  rDev -0.3%

This is part two of a canned double-header, the other beer being Busch Light. I'm postulating, though, that the Blue Ribbon is going to fair much butter. Poured from a 12 oz. can into a straight-sided pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very pale straw color with a large-three finger head. The head is a bit foamier than you'd expect from an adjunct lager and it even leaves a touch of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Has a smell of some light grassy and grainy hops and some even lighter adjuncts. This is an extremely subdued scent, however.

Taste: For an adjunct lager, this has a decent hop profile to it, although it's nothing special by any means. The adjuncts, however, play a pretty big role in the taste, which is somewhat of a turn-off to me.

Mouthfeel: This is about as good of a mouthfeel as you'll get in an adjunct lager. It's not as thin as most adjuncts, but it still has a higher amount of carbonation, making it easier to drink.

Drinkability: This is a pretty drinkable beer and is my preferred adjunct lager of choice when it comes to pounding beers, though I wouldn't have a lot of these if I were just drinking for the hell of it.

Overall, this is one of the better adjunct lagers that are widely available and is the beer I always reach for if no craft brews are in sight. This was the first beer I ever had at age 13 and thus holds a special place in my heart. For me, PBR is an above-average adjunct lager and certainly deserving of being tried.

02-26-2010 06:18:31 | More by zoso493
zimm421

3.38/5  rDev +15%

A buddy left this at my place this weekend, and I thought I'd review it. Had it before, but never really though about what was going on.
Poured from a can into a pint glass, appears a very clear yellow that you can see completely through, with a fairly thin, bubbly head that actually stays for a decent amount of time, but leaves almost no lacing.
Smell is full of grains, lots of corn. Nose is just like most adjuncts, but is not as strong or unpleasantly overpowering as most. There are some hops in the nose, but nothing really worth much at all. Not a lot going on in the taste, just a lot of grains and grassy notes, as well as a slight bitterness towards the end of each sip.
Mouthfeel is thin, no thickness whatsoever, but not watery. A lot of carbonation that fits in with what I've come to expect from adjuncts. The drinkibility is better than what I'm used to from this style, and this is actually something I could see myself drinking for a night out on campus.
Overall a decent brew. Much better and more desirable than most of the other macro brews I've had while starting out my days of drinking.

02-23-2010 03:50:12 | More by zimm421
bigbluebeerguy

Kentucky

3.58/5  rDev +21.8%

Had lunch at a diner and they had 12oz bottles in their drink cooler. Drank straight from the bottle, so not sure of the appearance. If memory serves me correct, I imagine a clear, golden straw colored brew.

Smell is mainly grainy, grassy.

Tasted actually a little better than I remembered. Mild hops, again grassy, but not bad.

Plenty of carbonation to provide most of the action. Felt pretty crisp in the mouth.

I think I'm gonna pick up a sixer of this, if for nothing else than to provide a surprise for my friends when they peek into the mancave fridge.

02-19-2010 23:08:50 | More by bigbluebeerguy
backfat

Indiana

3.23/5  rDev +9.9%

pours a fizzy clear yellow with a frothy two finger head that dissipates quickly. smells slightly metallic with sweet corn yeast and faint, faint hop backround. high carbonation. crisp, grainy, and sweet with a faint tart finish. this is my go to beer if low funds come around. quantity over quality. one of the two american adjunct lagers i can stand. the other is schlitz. haha.

dictionary definition of adjunct: something added to another thing, but not essential to it. gross

02-18-2010 17:46:30 | More by backfat
animalchin

3.45/5  rDev +17.3%

Here it is - the beer that for some reason has been the gold standard of all college-aged hipsters around my school. Whatever their reasoning is - here's the break down.

A - Light yellow body, slight layer of head plus a lot of carbonation apparent.

S - Corn and adjunct. Just a lot of grains.

T - Some saturated maltiness, a lot of grainy action going on. The slightest hint of lemon zest.

M - Very light. Carbonation makes a big source of activity.

D & Notes - For a mass produced product, I have always been impressed with PBR. Could drink this all night, and at $7.99 for a 12-pack, I don't feel the slightest sense of cognitive-dissociation.

02-17-2010 03:18:49 | More by animalchin
cbarrett4

Oregon

2.42/5  rDev -17.7%

I have to say that if there is nothing else available, this will fit the bill. Or possibly out of a can next to the pool. But this is barely better than the usual adjunct lagers from Coors, Miller, and Bud. The appearance is average with a quickly vanishing head and artificial looking carbonation. Not much aroma, pretty dull. Taste is simple and straightforward. Not much going on here either. Simple yet quaffable and refreshing. Pretty average.

02-16-2010 10:07:15 | More by cbarrett4
RyanBelle

Ontario (Canada)

There is nothing wrong with this beer on a hot day mowing the lawn. It gets the job done for refreshment, you could make a session out of it, and it really is a classic beer that has stood the test of time. This beer is all about balance, and for an American Macro...it's totally in proportion. Everyone's tried it for a reason, it's good!

02-15-2010 05:15:55 | More by RyanBelle
Heavenisbeer

Georgia

3.55/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured into a pint glass on a cloudy Saturday evening.

A: Huge fluffy lager head that has pretty decent retention considering. Looks like a sparkling wine, with heavy carbonation and an extremely pale golden color. Lacing is solid as well.

S: Looks similar to apple juice, and the nose pulls me that way as well. A little hops on the backend. Nothing intense, but I can tell that it's beer.

T: It is what it is...Fluffy, very light, with a mild fruitiness up front, and a sprinkle of subtle hops towards the finish. I'm surprised when others can tease anything else out of an adjunct lager.

M: Again, it's just being itself. Extremely bubbly, well-balanced lightness. Like chewy water, and that way for a reason.

D: Defined and determined by this aspect (as well as cost). Extremely drinkable. My impoverished session beer (3 dollar tallboys at my local watering hole). As echoed by others, this definitely beats the big three in taste and value.

It is certainly a unique and humbling (I am a little buzzed as I write this) experience reviewing an American icon. Don't know about the blue ribbon but a designated hitter award (this should exist) is in order--i.e., it does exactly what it is there to do, and does it pretty well. (Side point: in my numbered rating I took the big 3 to be the 'average' adjuncts, and I went from there).

02-14-2010 01:11:52 | More by Heavenisbeer
SDHoffers

1.98/5  rDev -32.7%

Why did I drink this...because I was thirsty. There really was no other reason except that I just didn't want to have tap water. In it's credit, it really is better than the huge macro light beers. Not a bad quencher for a hot summer day while doing yard work though. Taste and smell were almost non-existent. Mouthfeel was like soda water with a little beer flavoring. I really hate to beer bash because someone probably put their heart and soul into brewing this so I'm not going to say I hate it but it is difficult. I have noticed a recent trend for this beer lately so I put it on tap for Oktoberfest. I never heard the end of that one. Needless to say, it won't make another appearance. If you like the F.Y.B. style then hey, knock yourself out.

02-12-2010 16:49:48 | More by SDHoffers
tegwek

Maine

2.35/5  rDev -20.1%

In comparison to all the folks who now call it their college beer, I'm sure glad that I/We had Genesee and even Utica Club !@!@!

But then again I just had 3 cans with some salty nuts as I browsed the web !! I don't think I'd do that with Bud/Miller/Coors products

02-12-2010 02:40:04 | More by tegwek
abrand

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%

12 ounce can drank on Super Bowl Sunday.

The PBR appears as a golden straw color with a frothy head that is always available after a good swirl. Smell is musky and stale with not much flavor popping out other than a hoppy finish. For a macro brew I think the taste is good. No complexity but a good notes of bitter hoppiness. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Drinkability is mediocre, but compared to other macros I think it is is high. This is definitely my binge drinking beer for those drunk nights.

02-09-2010 02:31:27 | More by abrand
Otsaika

This is my "I've got two bucks, what isn't completely horrible that will give me a buzz" beer. I figured since I got a couple tallboys for the Super Bowl, I'd go ahead and do a review.

A: Looks like apple juice. Tall head when poured that dissipates after a few minutes.

S: Sweet, with a bit of a hop scent.

T: Pretty plain. Not an offensive taste, but there's not much to it. Noticeable hops, grains, and a bit of a metallic taste.

M: Not quite as thin as it looks, but a lot of carbonation, which I'm not too fond of.

D: I could probably drink these all day. After a couple, you can't really taste any flavor at all, which I guess is good for college guys that just want to get drunk.

All in all, if I had to choose between this and one of the other macro beers out there, I would take the PBR.

02-07-2010 23:51:57 | More by Otsaika
Hopfist

2.08/5  rDev -29.3%

Yes it's a throwback. Yes it's unrivaled in low-cost. Yes it's fun to order a "Peeber" in your local dive, college bar, or truck stop watering hole. But no, it's not good. I'd hate to taste whatever won 2nd place at the competition where Pabst won his blue ribbon. I had an epiphany last month when I said "why not?" to a Peeber in a Milwaukee dive... PBR is either magic or a scientific breakthrough overlooked by the heads at CERN. You see, it allows for traveling through time. It tastes and smells just like the hangover you'll probably have the following morning (or afternoon). Simply astounding. Bending the laws of physics without the aid of a flux capacitor.

02-07-2010 20:08:50 | More by Hopfist
AmberMan22

3.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

$2 PBR pitcher night can get you into trouble.

Pours like any other macro, fairly light colored, highly carbonated.

Smell is actually better than most from the category, in my opinion. It has almost a sweet, doughy sensation to it.

I'd also have to give the nod to this on taste as well. Whatever it is producing that better smell is lending itself to better flavor. Otherwise, fairly unremarkable.

Mouthfeel however carries too much carbonation and is overall simply weak.

On the whole, 3.5 for drink because it's above average compared to it's competition. I definitely don't mind drinking this one.

02-06-2010 18:09:06 | More by AmberMan22