Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev +14.3%

The PBR has long been my go-to cheapo beer. It's great for hanging out at the party after your tastebuds are spent on a few good ipas, or as a refreshing "nothing special" beer on occasion.. I hate pretty much every other cheap domestic or Canadian beer. I respect PBR for being what it is - a decent tasting, cheap grain lager. It tastes crisp and clean, with a slightly bitter (not skanky) aftertaste. I wish I knew all the fancy words to properly explain myself on Beer Advocate, but I haven't studied up. That's why I haven't reviewed my favorite double ipas yet. A couple years ago when I was in Brooklyn, it really upset me to discover this beer had become "cool" with the hipster crowd. Then I thought about it, and realized I appreciate so many poor bastards having good taste.

2.5/5  rDev -14.7%

appearance
light gold in color. medium carbonation.

smell
light corn, barley, and hops. nearly no smell.

taste
balanced taste between malt and hops. very light, but nothing bad. slightly bitter aftertaste is pleasureable.

mouthfeel
light and clean. standard lager.

overall
nothing bad about this lager. nothing outstanding either. one of, if not the best, adjunct lager on the market.

2.69/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a clear, yellow with a thin white head and actually a surprising lacing.
Scent is very grainy, corn-like, not that inviting.
Taste/mouthfeel: crisp, refreshing, dry, light bodied, a hint of hops, malt, grain, alcohol.
Of the big ones, this isn't bad.

2.11/5  rDev -28%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

This is a bad beer. When I was out of work and things were looking pretty bad, I had to stop buying good beer. I even tried to stop buying beer period. But after a while I wanted a beer so bad. So at the grocery store there was a deal on two fourpack tallboy cans for $6. Pretty nice. The beers to choose from were Miller High Life, Icehouse, and PBR. The first time, they were out of PBR and I got High Life and Icehouse. I didn't even like High Life in high school when I was a devotee of such fine brews as Miller Genuine Draft and Bud Light. It was worse than I remember. That's a crappy beer. The Icehouse was fine for that sort of thing. Not great, but ballpark quality. So the next time I was happy to see they had PBR. All of my friends had been drinking it during the hipster revival and they liked it so I thought I was in luck. Ohhh no. Oh no. Bad. Bad beer. It was worse than High Life. I don't know what people are thinking saying they love this beer. This is a gross tasting beer. It's on a level with Natural Light or Keystone or something else awful. Big disappointment. Won't drink it again.

3.36/5  rDev +14.7%

I like the cool retro design of the can. Classic!
The beer it self has the typical fizzy, yellow American lager look. Big foamy head, that left some lacing on my glass.

It has a very faint, but sweet smell.

PBR is a nice easy drinking beer, with a mild and slightly sweet taste.

I like it better than Bud and Coors, but not as much as Miller.

It is a slightly better than average American lager. I am surprised why so many people get excited by PBR.

3.28/5  rDev +11.9%

Haven't had this in a while, over a year. Expecting an average lager. Poured from 24oz can into pils glass. Very clear gold with soapy looking head, average appearance. Little bit of sweet malt on the nose but other than that, metallic and acidic. Taste is typical for the style but the feel is surprisingly slick and smooth without an overload of carbonation. Not too bad, not surprising that It's been so long since i've had it though.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company