Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

I received this beer for $2 @ the Tower Pub in Saint Louis, MO (Otherwise, I would never have paid for it!). Poured into a standard Pint Glass and had a "Best By Jun06 11" on the Bottom of the Can.

Appearance- Head was wild with 5 fingers but then dissipated quickly. The head is very foamy and bubbles contributed to this and the heavy amount of carbonation. It is a clear, yellow color as well.

Smell- I can smell what the US Government calls "A Beer". "A Beer" is a beverage made with Water, Grain, Hop, and Yeast. No really though, there wasn't anything to note with this "classic" lager.

Taste- This beer has yeasty taste up front and then a bit of hop to it. I'm wondering if it matters if everyone at my table is making fun of me while I "review" this beer or not?

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, and very crisp. The carbonation flows through the palate and down without behind able to grasp any other attributes or notes.

Drinkability- While Team Seagal (cycling) hands out free PBR's at St. Louis MTB races, I can never take this beer seriously. They even use it to hose down oncoming cyclists and try to make people eat shit out there! I don't mind drinking this lager, can see how it has won some awards, but will never know how this old style beer was at one time so popular... Will have to get someone to persuade me otherwise.

DCon, Mar 28, 2011

355ml can poured into pint glass mar27 2011

A clear straw yellow with decent carbonation feeding a short lived finger of lace that leaves no lace

S sweet corny malt and not much else

T mimics the smell, not much going on but at least its not offensive

M slightly slick fairly thin and far from flat

O just you average brew, not much going on but easy enough to drink

a dirt cheap single what more can I say

wordemupg, Mar 28, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Best by May 23, 2011.

Straw gold pour with a small head of foam, initial lacing is okay.

Corny and grainy smell, some sweet notes but not much in the way of bitterness.

Corn is in the flavour with grain, mild sweetness, milder bitterness. Nothing offensive and surely quaffable. This is the first time I've had PBR in bottles in years. I think I prefer it in cans..

Bitterbill, Mar 27, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +22.4%

24 oz can. Freshness date on bottom of can.

Pours perhaps the litest gold of all. Smell is a silo of modest grains. Taste is light and bready, morphing into a somewhat bitter, shockingly decent, hoppy finish. Feel is lite and toasty, clean and grainy. Cuts itself above many of the other adjuncts..

sixerofelixir, Mar 20, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Hailed by many college kids as "the best cheap beer." Cheap indeed. I will say that i have never had it out of anything but a can. Go to a frat on a friday and you'll probably find empty or half empty cans of it in a bathroom. I'm new at this so bear with me.

A: Don't know but probably looks similar to pee.

S: Smells malty, almost chewy and thin at the same time, but puts a bit of sick taste in your mouth.

T: Quite malty and mirrors the smell in the chewy and thin at the same time. However, the thin is for sure the dominant feeling. It's better than bud, but that still isn't quite positive.

M: Carb is very much present. not much else...

O: If you're looking to get drunk, or are already drunk, you won't care. Otherwise, you have to have been drinking this for years (or be a hipster) to seriously enjoy this.

ncjoshman, Mar 18, 2011
2.28/5  rDev -22.4%

A- Pours a light yellow straw color with a large white foaming head. Not hat impressive.

S- Grainy with some strong bitterness.

T- Taste is pretty plain, overly watery, and there is a metallic/oily taste at the end. Yuck.

M- Not overly carbonated so this beer scores high here. The fact it is watered down helps the feel in the mouth.

D- Pretty drinkable even though it's a light beer. I can see why this beer is so cheap in large quantities. I wouldn't have more than 1 and that was because when I tried this I just wanted to see what it tasted like, not because I was going to order it all night.

sluggermatt15, Mar 13, 2011
3.08/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours out a clear golden color into a pint glass. A finger of head that quickly dissolves.

Smell is skunky wheat and grain, hint of alcohol.

Taste is slight vegetable hop bite up front. OMG hops in an adjunct lager, interesting. Finishes with a bit of a metallic grain flavor not overly offensive.

Mouthfeel is thin, carbonation is pretty high.

Reasonably drinkable, yeah I could have a few of these, not great flavor, but oh well.

pdoran10, Mar 13, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +13.3%

Can poured in my Bruery tulip, just 'cuz. Pours a startling pale yellow with sizable white head. Smells like college parties, drinking games, dorms, mistakes, awesomeness...I cannot disentangle specific odors from memories. I'll say it smells pretty good, given that. Smooth, classic flavor. My second favorite AAL in flavor behind Premium (not that I'm an expert). Hard to describe. I'm not going to go overboard because it is not a revelation, but it tastes correct, whatever that means. Mouthfeel is super thin with crazy heavy carbonation. A bit much... In spite of this, it is very drinkable. I had this after a few craft beers and I wasn't sad.

seeswo, Mar 13, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +37.1%

Red blooded American beer available at most establishments for a great price. Does not disappoint if I am not in the mood for a draft Chimay at the Stumbling Monk in Seattle. I have a warm place in my heart for union brewed Milwaukee beer that is refreshing, tasty, and reasonably priced. It shouldn't be reviewed in comparison with the many incredible micro-brews that our country produces. It deserves to be compared with the macro-brews that most Americans still purchase. It is vastly better than most with Miller High Life being the only near equal. Considering the present state of our economy, it is one of the best beers for the money if you enjoy drinking frequently. For that reason alone, it deserves respect.

rvonhagen, Mar 12, 2011

Pours out of a can to an incredibly pale yellowish colour. Plenty of carbonation, nothing mentionable in regards to head nor taste.

Tastes like slightly flavoured, mildly alcoholic water.

Essentially it's an ever so slightly better version of Bud/coors.

shaunivan, Mar 12, 2011
3.3/5  rDev +12.2%

A- Light golden straw color. High carbonation and foamy white head.

S- Low smell, smell wheat and corn and that about it.

T- Pretty decent taste, smooth and mild flavor. Taste like an american adjunct lager, with more of a hop taste then any other AAL.

M- Fells good in the mouth, easy drinking beer that i could drink a lot of.

D- Very, but mostly for drinking pitchers and playing drinking games in my opinion..

JesteR14, Mar 11, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +28.6%

A-Poured into a frozen mug. It has a thick fizzy white head that is lasting much longer than expected. As for the color of the beer itself, typical pale straw color.

S-Grainy/corn adjunct notes. It smells somewhat musty. Overall generic beer smell the style is famous for.

T-The slightest of hop bitterness followed by malty sweetness. Grain flavor is present as usual but finishes clean. Not much flavor but what does exist is good for the style.

M-Thin and watery.

D-Great session beer alongside of non-craft friends or when you just want to drink something cheap.

Overall, I prefer this is bottle form and straight from the bottle at that.

thegodfather2701, Mar 09, 2011
2.98/5  rDev +1.4%

24 oz tallboy poured into a... actually, who am I fooling? Who pours out a PBR? If I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it right.

Look: classic can appearance, proudly displaying the blue ribbon this beer won more than 100 years ago. My question is, has the recipe changed since then? I am assured that only nature's best ingredients are included in this fine beverage.

You might yell at me for not appreciating its appearance poured into a glass, but we all know the way this looks. Straw colored, pale yellow with a white head that doesn't retain for longer than a few minutes and won't leave any lacing. I think it looks better in the can.

Smell: sticking my nose to the hole of the can, I am able to detect some slight grain from the malt, some adjunct, and maybe some hops but I can't really tell their character. Of course, all of this is a stretch. Describing PBR's aroma is almost like describe the aroma of water.

Taste: pale malt, hints of corn, some grain, faint hints of hops, with a water like character as well. There's a hint of sulphur.

Feel: light, quite watery, and quite heavy on the carbonation. Nothing lingers in the aftertaste except that classic smell on your breath that gives you away to your wife when you say "No! I haven't been at the bar!" Tsk tsk. You never learn, do you?

Drink: what else can I say? This is highly drinkable. At under 5% alcohol, this is a sessionable brew and anyone who says otherwise clearly hasn't had a night in college, doing shots of PBR during Power Hour and drinking the better part of a case of this stuff playing Beer Pong.

Overall, PBR is the king of adjunct lagers as far as I am concerned. I feel I should seek out PBR on tap and, looking at the BeerAdvocate entry and seeing someone has had this on cask, the elusive PBR cask.

Cheers!

SkunkWorks, Mar 08, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -0.3%

I thought it prudent to add this to my list of reviews. It used to be my 'go to ' beer before I decided life was too short for crappy beer, period. Economics occasionally necessitate an inexpensive beer and thus...

A 12 oz can pours into a pilsner glass with a whiff of corny nasty right at first and revealing a very pale straw beer with a white head about a half inch high. Lacing is none and dissipation is fast enough not to have to wait to witness said.

Smell is light and 'beery' with a smidgen of pear-like sweetness. The AA style is represented here with the usual off smells from the cheap ingredients.

Taste is light with a bit of sour, less bitter and a helping of sweet. This sweet is not grainy in nature but not gross either. I note nothing I can distinguish as hopy or grainy. It is just beer.

Mouthfeel is light, carbonation is medium and finish is a lingering semi-sweet.

Drinkability is not so good based on the less than stellar taste.

Slainte anyway.

meeekyh, Mar 07, 2011
3.23/5  rDev +9.9%

24 ounce can, best by date of April 25, 2011 printed on the bottom of the can. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear light gold color with an inch and a half frothy white head. Head retention and lacing are both OK. Aroma is mostly sweet and grainy malt, and a bit of corn and grassy hops. Taste is pretty much like the aroma, except that I don't pick up any hop flavors. No offensive aromas or flavors that I notice. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's thin and a bit watery. It's also well carbonated. Drinkability is good, it goes down pretty easy. For the style, it's a decent brew. I've certainly tried much worse! Not bad for $1.49 a can.

bluejacket74, Mar 05, 2011
3.28/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a 16oz can into a pint glass.

A- Pours a brownish gold color with a decent sized head. Good foam that quickly clears, but still manages to lace the glass nicely.

S- A semi-sweet, grainy, grassy, earthy smell to it.

T- Slight grainy hops with even slighter malt with a somewhat sweet undertone. But even an alcohol presence is detected at times.

M- A very balanced carbonation makes this beer very refreshing. The dryness is unexpected but makes for an enjoyable drink. Not watery, but definately lighter than most full beers.

D- Highest draw CHEAP. PBR is non offensive and can be enjoyed, particularly the more you have. An almost guilty pleasure of mine how much I enjoy this one. Its perfect after working outside on a hot day.

We just need the damn hipsters to give this one back so it will be more sociably acceptable to drink.

Floyd12, Mar 01, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance - Two fingers of head atop a clear musty yellow lager. Very transparent and a dirty golden look to it. Decent lacing.

Smell - Light floral notes and hops here. Not much else going on.

Taste - Strong hints of banana. Quite watered down but surprisingly tasty hops.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Medium bodied. A very crisp and refreshing taste. Not bad for an American Adjunct Lager. I would prefer Molson Canadian over this, but it is still decent.

Jesse13713, Feb 28, 2011
3.28/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from can into imperial pint.

A: Pale gold, crystal clear. Thick white head, thin lacing.

S: Faint grainy and slightly grassy aroma. Only faint traces of sweetness, if any. A little earthy.

T: Grainy and grassy, with a touch of hops at the end that is absent in other AALs. You can taste the alcohol at times on the back end.

M: Light bodied with more malt backbone than I expected. Carbonation is refreshing without going too far. A bit of a dryness at the end that lingers a bit too long, but not bad overall.

D: Much better poured into a glass than straight from the can IMO, this is a big step forward from the BMCs. I picked up a case of PBR cans on sale as a budget beer fridge stocker, and for a refreshing 'light' beer and change of pace. PBR fits that bill perfectly.

tito42, Feb 28, 2011
3.13/5  rDev +6.5%

Making a revival on being hip in colleges but partly cuz its jusst cheap and its not Bud light. It is better than Bud all around. Best served cold. Slightly creamy body in a pale yellow beer with a foamy white head that fades fast but leaves rings of lace. Sweet malts shine through with a touch of citrus and some mineral and metallic notes. Some earthy grassy notes. Not bad. Pretty watery. Easy to drink.

JayS2629, Feb 27, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +20.7%

Hmm, good ol PBR. College hipster's best friend and teddy bear, along with Miller High Life.

Anyway, it's bright clear yellow and fizzy. Most people that drink it don't know or care though, I've never ever seen someone pour it out of a can, unless it's into a beer bong.

Smells like wheat, light grains.

Tastes alright, not my usual style but good for this particular genre of beer. Sweet wheat.

Mouthfeel is fizzy and light-ish. Not BudLight watery light but doesn't taste like a full beer. You get what you pay for.

Drinkability? Are you kidding me? I've never ever seen someone drink one PBR and then call it quits. It's cheap (even here in California) and palatable. What more could you want? You bring PBR to the average party and you're allowed in.

Average alcohol content, but usually gets people hammered from simply being super easy to drink. Think I finished this can in about 15 minutes, just because i'm writing this review as i drink it!

BaronRogue, Feb 22, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -16.7%

This is a cheap-o beer that I drink when I want a beer but want to save money. You can get them for 1 dollar at a bar that I go to.

Its not a great teasting, smelling, looking, or feeling beer, but once you get a to your 3rd one you can drink about 50. This is the perfect cheap get hammered, tailgaiting beer.

hdf561, Feb 20, 2011
3.18/5  rDev +8.2%

PBR. Can't hate. It's actually not bad. I think this is up there for my favorite American Adjunct Lager. I mean, if you're gonna go on the serious cheap, then you can do a lot worse than PBR.

I enjoyed this in Prospect Park when it felt about 35 degrees outside after a game of touch football. Bunch of old geezers running around pretending its still the glory days.

Beer's light in appearance, about average head that dissipates. Moderate carbonation, straw colored. Smells like... well, corn I guess. But maybe a hop or two come through. Tastes a bit sweet, a bit like a hop, and mostly like water.

In the mouth it's pretty weak, but yeah, that's what we're expecting here. And that's why it's drinkable. Because it's easy-going water. I'd rank this above a LOT of cornerstore alternatives, and it may become a beer I drink often.

Every day I get more hipster.

afksports, Feb 19, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +35.4%

Very good beer. alot of bars I have been to seem to have this on the cheap list of beers. which is fine with me. I could actually sit at the bar and enjoy this one the whole time. Also have had it on tap and as long as the bar cleans the tubes out right its just as good if not better in a frosty mug.

brunrn1, Feb 17, 2011
3.15/5  rDev +7.1%

A- Light straw with a quickly dissipating soda bubble head that flattens out into a uniform lace atop the beer.

S- There are actually some hops in here. It has a grassy and spring like aroma

T- I know I know... this isn't what we all come on here for. That being said, I am not afraid to admit that this makes a fantastic summer beer just after mowing the lawn. It really has no distinct flavor profile, just a crisp, fresh awakening to it

M- Very much like a lager should feel, honestly.

D- Depends on what this category means to you, and in most cases I would get fancy too but for PBR, it is very drinkable.

I have had it on tap, in a can, and in a long neck. It is in some ways a rite of passage even if you are schooled in the more "real beers" of the world. This certainly isn't an A+ but it should at least get some honorable mention.

Quick story... I have been to many a beer tasting, all kinds, big ones, brewery specific and some in the middle. Many of the big events have a PBR booth. I have never seen it without a decent line, where as Bud's table is empty enough to hear crickets...

smallbatchbrewer, Feb 17, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Pours a clear straw yellow with a finger width head that dissipates quickly. A small amount of lacing left behind.

S: A malty graininess and ever so slight hops. Typical American adjunct lager here.

T: Not bad for the style. As with the scent, malt graininess and slight hops, the usual adjuncts, ect.

M: This one's highly carbonated, light to medium bodied.

D: Could drink it all day.

Basically what I expected. This typical American Adjunct lager gets a passing grade.

HockeytownBrew, Feb 15, 2011