Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
jballeng

3.4/5  rDev +15.6%

12 oz bottle. Poured a golden straw color with a large, short lived fizzy white head. Aroma of hops, corn, and subtle berry fruits. Slightly metallic.Taste accents of malt and corn. Slightly bland but better than many others for the price. Not very interesting but not bad at all. Overall, I must say that I am impressed by this beer, not simply because of the bargain price for which I bought it, but because I think it tastes good. I have heard a lot of harsh comments about PBR, but I have to say that it is, in my book, a highly underrated beer.

06-11-2009 19:20:23 | More by jballeng
BasementBrewerSF

3.65/5  rDev +24.1%

There is not much to a PBR. Classic American Pilsner, as light as water with about as much taste, but unlike water, PBR is 5%. A great beer for a buck in a can at almost any bar around town. Personally I find myself spending money at beer stores rather than bars due to the mark up. So PBR is nothing to rave about but it is cheep, drinkable and gets the job done. As I say to my beer snob friends, "it is the best of the worst". And now Pabst is the oldest American owned brewery in the country. "America! Fuck Yeah!"

06-06-2009 18:01:00 | More by BasementBrewerSF
mtstatebeer

West Virginia

12 oz. bottle. Pours a golden-yellow color with a very small, fizzy white head. Aroma is straw and grains. Flavor is corn, straw, and maybe a light touch of hops. Mouthfeel is very light, watery, and a hint of bitterness. Mainly just an altogether bland beer, not offensive, drinkable but not all that good.

06-06-2009 02:12:23 | More by mtstatebeer
beerera4

3.7/5  rDev +25.9%

I bought a 12 pack of cans at Majestic Liquors in Dallas...Cheap

A: I can't say much about the appearance since I pounded it right out of the can.

S: Smelled like your average macro. Maybe a little burnt corn.

T: Ok this stuff tastes great. I was very impressed. It had an american adjunct lager taste but I actually tasted a little bit of alcohol at the end. Extremely refreshing for summertime. I'm not a macro guy but when I drink them I am a miller lite guy but this blows it away. I will be buying this instead when possible.

M: Smooth

D: I can pound this stuff. Drinkability is high. One problem...It gave me some really bad gas. Anyone ever have this problem?

Overall: Great, cheap evreryday beer especially in this economy. Look forward to putting a few back tonight.

06-05-2009 16:32:41 | More by beerera4
CHL

3.85/5  rDev +31%

I haven't had one of these since before I really drank beer. I remembered at the time that it was the first beer I'd tasted that actually seemed sort of sweet. I could imagine myself drinking it to the point of intoxication.

Flash forward to last night when I ordered one PBR from the tap. I had been looking to try it again, but wasn't willing to commit to a 30 pack.

Pours as unremarkable cheap "piss beer." Not impressive whatsoever, but it pulls ahead of the others in the taste.

I think this is the only mass adjunct-type beer that actually puts corn to good use. It's not merely a filler, but a major constituent of the flavor. It's like a touch of sweet grits in the mouth, and it finishes clean with unobjectionable hops and ample carbonation.

Maybe it's not even beer--maybe it's a sort of alcoholic corn soda. But whatever you call it, I will certainly have another.

05-31-2009 20:46:51 | More by CHL
SmokeMonkey

Kentucky

3.53/5  rDev +20.1%

I grew up with my dad drinking pull tab steel cans of PBR after working his tail off all week so PBR has been ingrained in my head so I had to get some and try it out. I'm glad I did.

I went and got a 12 pack of bottles. I didnt want to commit to a 30 pack of cans though the 30 pack was cheaper per unit.

It's a good beer and for the price, it tastes better than BMC, it's more drinkable than BMC and is even cheaper than bud by 4 bucks for a 30 pack.

It is lighter than what I was expecting in taste but it still had a good taste, not over the top on anything. It's pretty fizzy but i expect that from macro brew beer and i was ok with it.

mouthfeel is...well lets just not go there on this beer. its watery but i dont care, its a cheap lawn mower/summer beer so i dont care about mouthfeel.

IMO it is something i could drink 6 of during an evening easily. I honestly cannot say that about the usual BMC stuff, one of them is all i can tolerate.

My only complaint was it isnt as widely available as the usual BMC stuff is but I found it in good supply at the usual store I go to for most of my beer so even this detail is of no consequence to me. Also finding a single like a 16 ounce can or a 22 ounce bottle just isnt happening around me. so its a minimum of a 12 pack for me.

I'll try it in a can and i hope its as good in a can as it is in a bottle.

05-29-2009 23:05:03 | More by SmokeMonkey
yelterdow

3.7/5  rDev +25.9%

Things are tight this year, and this summer the cooler won't be overflowing with craft beer as a result. I grabbed a case of this last week for $11.99... I still can't get over that.

I'll serve this at fridge temperature in a 1970's era Stroh's glass that fellow BA and friend EPseja was kind enough to give me. Here goes.

Appearance- Pale gold, a bit richer once it's in the glass, this beer is streaming microbubble carbonation from the bottom of my glass while replenishing a supple, inch-thick head. After two minutes the crown is gone, but it doesn't look flat. There's a smattering of small lace patches along the inside of the glass.

Smell- I'm happily surprised that the nose isn't cloying at all... rather there is a husky, semisweet malt aroma and some grass that actually flatters the style character. Almost no trace of cereal, but there is a suggestion of creamed corn lingering in the background.

Taste- While the adjuncts do dominate most of the flavor here, it's actually well balanced and doesn't leave the typical unpleasant aftertaste in the swallow. Surprisingly, I am getting a very subtle hop dryness and mild bittering in the finish... Not at all bad, and flavor-wise it beats out Bud and Coors for me.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The texture begins nice and prickly, with the bubbles very small and alive. It does thin out in a few seconds, but it never ends up too boring. Besides my last experience with Ballantine a few years back, this is the only macro I can recall actually enjoying from a glass. An easy choice for the big BBQs this year until things turn around economically.

05-29-2009 18:30:45 | More by yelterdow
Millerman

South Carolina

4.75/5  rDev +61.6%

It's been over 30 years since I last drank a PBR.
Earlier this year I went to a get together for a person who was retiring and the pub had a PBR sign. I didn't know PBR was still being brewed! I asked for one and have been hooked ever since.
For the price this one of the best beers I have ever tried. I read it is brewed by Miller under contract. All I know is I have found my beer.

Appearance - Golden hue
Smell - Wonderful
Taste - Exceptional. Not too hoppy, which I like.
Drinkability - Goes down smooth

05-28-2009 21:44:59 | More by Millerman
almychristopher

3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

this beer pours a crystal clear golden color with a tall white head that recedes to lacing. the aroma doesn't present much but a lightly malty lager smell. the taste is once again predominantly of light malt and whatever it is those little bottom feeders do. the mouthfeel is of course light with a crisp aggressive level of carbonation. of course this is a very easy beer to drink, but I'm not sure that makes the drinkability all that great.

05-28-2009 03:56:23 | More by almychristopher
BeerMark

Alabama

2.83/5  rDev -3.7%

Pabst Blue Ribbon pours a mild yellow in my glass. The head is just one shade darker than a Miller High Life. Smells and tastes better than your average American Adjunct Lager. There is a little something better here than most other American Adjunct Lager's. It has a somewhat pleasant flavor that I could drink from time to time. Beats out Miller High Life by a few point and is now my favorite AAL.

05-26-2009 23:11:56 | More by BeerMark
WesWes

3.18/5  rDev +8.2%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a crisp, pilsner malt and adjunct scent that's light and dry. The taste is decent. It has a smooth pilsner malt flavor that low on hops and clean in the finish. It's a warm weather brew, no doubt. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a highly drinkable beer. It's one of the only macro lagers I drink.

05-25-2009 20:55:03 | More by WesWes
wesbrownyeah

3.35/5  rDev +13.9%

PBR out of the bottle yeah!

A- Overly clear light yellow color with carbonated head that falls to a barely there ring around the head. NO lacing.

S- Smells of metallic scents with hints of malt and barley. Low amounts of hops.

T- Still great flavor of corn, malts, and the little hints of hops. This combo for a classic are amazing. Great overall taste.

M-D- Smooth as water feel with a mild dry ending. Easy to drink and doesn't make you feel like crap in the morning after mass drinking sessions.

05-25-2009 01:41:49 | More by wesbrownyeah
Rayek

Colorado

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%

On-tap at Billy's Inn in Denver, CO. This was the only reasonably priced beer on-tap, so I figured I'd give it a try sans can. Served in a giant chilled mug.

A: Straw color with big carbonation bubbles. Remnants of a small white head that had vanished before my mug hit the table stuck around as a ring at the edge of the beer. Left no lace.

S: Biscuits and rice. Maybe a little apple sweetness.

T: Very little flavor, but what is there is certainly acceptable for a beer of this type. Tastes more like rice than malt, with a well balanced bitterness that doesn't add any flavor. Semi-dry finish with a faint metallic quality. As the beer warms, the flavor doesn't noticeably get worse like too many examples of this style. Overall, it's quite the unassuming beer.

M: Light body had too much fizz.

D: Definitely a beer that goes down easily. I was through my mug in a flash. PBR does its job without much fanfare. It's at least on par with the more expensive BMC mainstays. Perhaps this is my new yard work beer?

05-18-2009 15:32:20 | More by Rayek
BeerSox

3.85/5  rDev +31%

16oz can into large pint glass.

Crystal clear straw hue with a thin one finger white head that quickly settles to a thin cap with a thin rim along the glass.

Grainy, slightly toasty aroma. Not much hoppiness.

Biscuity grains, slightly sweet, the bitterness is almost non-existent. Light bodied and tons of fizzy carbonation. Very clean finish.

Not a bad beer for a cookout with friends and a grill. Great summer beer. Does it's job as a refreshing beverage. I would take a Narragansett over it any time though while in the New England area.

05-18-2009 02:58:55 | More by BeerSox
njthebestofme

2.65/5  rDev -9.9%

A- The normal yellow pee like coloring

S- Nothign stands out.. maybe some malts i guese..

T- Goese down quick .. mild carb to easy to throw them back

M- Got to love that PBR taste

D- Buy a 30 its so cheap and see how many ou can throw back haha not recomended .. gave my a killer hangover

05-14-2009 17:44:09 | More by njthebestofme
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.83/5  rDev -3.7%

I wanted to like this one more but I just couldn't...

Light yellow with a thin head...clear..

Very grainy aroma with something kinda metallic lingering around...

Very average watery taste... The sorta beer that most everyone can drink because its so weak and watery tasting...

Very average...

05-11-2009 13:10:56 | More by Tilley4
donmonkey1

Tennessee

2.83/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance: Light yellow, virtually no head, very little carbonation, but really clear

Smell: sweet cardboard

taste: a touch sweet,way too weak. There's no hop flavor, just a sweet maltiness that's very faint. There's a little bit of an acidic taste. It tastes like weak, cheap beer.

mouthfeel: lacks carbonation, watery

Drinkability: easy because it's so weak

05-10-2009 04:27:47 | More by donmonkey1
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.48/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured into pint glass.

Fizzy white head goes to the top of the glass then settles quickly to a very thin layer. No lace. Color is a very clear straw yellow.

Aroma: Far better than any BMC product. Grainy and flat hops. Damn, I can actually enjoy the smell of this beer.

Taste: This has to be one of the first macos that I have actually enjoyed somewhat. It just seems to hit the spot. Grainy taste, dry hops. Nothing to huge, but not something I just want to spit out.

Mouthfeel: A little crisp, but somewhat smooth. Ends with a very sticky aftertaste.

Overall, this is one macro I could keep stocked in my fridge. I never thought I could enjoy a beer this cheep, but it exceeded my expectations by far.

05-05-2009 03:46:01 | More by mothman
PrinceDarren

3.13/5  rDev +6.5%

PBR me ASAP!

This is my "go to" beer when I am in Wisconsin. I make frequent family visits and often find myself sitting at the bar with my father and many uncles (all retired) who like to "slam" their miller lites. It is a "pace" game to keep up with the group since it is expected that everyone takes a turn at buying a round. There is no time to sit and reflect on the nuances of the beverage. I would never attempt to go beer-for-beer with them while consuming a proper craft beer that is north of 6% ABV.

So why do I like Pabst? It is the driest of the macros and as such is the easiest beer to drink that doesn't taste like water. Especially out of a bottle, it is quite a pleasing beverage. Goes great with a burrito.

If you have ever tried a can of Pabst and nearly choked, please do yourself a favor and try a BOTTLE of PBR. You might be surprised. Remember, it is the only beer to have won the blue ribbon at the 1893 world's fair. It deserves respect.

If you ever find yourself near Afton, Wisconsin. Make sure to stop into "Skip's Friendly Village". My uncle Skip used to distribute PBR before buying this bar. As such, he gives the beer proper recognition in his establishment where the cans are consumed in high volumes. If you ask, he might even set you up with a bottle of PBR from his personal stash.

Cheers to PBR! The best of the worst.

05-03-2009 14:52:27 | More by PrinceDarren
Wheelinb

Missouri

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

I was pretty surprised by this beer. Back in the day my dad and uncles drank all these types of beers, PBR, Schlitz, Hamms, etc. Whatever was on sale.

It had a nice golden appearance with a decent head. I got a wheaty/cereal aroma. It was dry and crisp and pretty drinkable. This isn't the most flavorful beer and fairly typical for an adjunct lager, but it should not be totally discounted. A good beer for when you are done cutting the lawn.

05-02-2009 15:29:54 | More by Wheelinb
lanechaffin

2.75/5  rDev -6.5%

i'm very surprised to see a B- by the bros. there's no question in my mind this beer isn't as good as miller or old milwaukee. i haven't bought any for a couple of years, but it taste about as i recall, or a little worse. maybe its just an older batch. it taste just like olympia beer used to, and a little skunkier than i recall. it isn't undrinkable, i mean almost all beer is good beer, but pbr isn't a B- beer, and i am an easy grader.

05-02-2009 02:13:22 | More by lanechaffin
Farrell

3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

When I drink PBR, I like to pour it into a goblet for comedic value. You would be surprised at the head you get on this most unlikely of beers.

I then pretend to be a pretentious coinsurer and enjoy all that great corn flavor courtesy of the cheap adjuncts they brew with. I sip from my goblet slowly and reflect on life's gifts to me.

But seriously, for $4 a six pack, you could be doing a lot worse.

04-29-2009 20:06:43 | More by Farrell
originalsin

3.18/5  rDev +8.2%

PBR!
God. The first time I tried this I remember thinking that I'd never drink it again. Here we are, though. Got this one for free.
Not nearly as awful as I recall. Here's the deal--I don't have any clean glasses around. This is PBR. I'm not gonna pour it I know what to expect. This is an american lager. Fizzy Yellow Beer. I sure as hell can't pour this into my Stone glass that reads "Fizzy Yellow Beer is for wussies".
Fuck off. This ain't no bmc. It doesn't try to be anything it's not. PBR tastes like nothing. Water. Corn. Boring. So refreshing. When it comes to value on American Lagers, this practically takes the cake. A lot better than any BMC in my book.
It's super-light and well carbonated. For what it's worth, PBR isn't miserable. My friend bought a 12 pack and he's on number 6---just drunk enough to toss me one. It's got a decent mouthfeel and is very very VERY drinkable.
Respect beer! Respect PBR!

04-29-2009 08:42:47 | More by originalsin
SeattleAdam

Washington

2.78/5  rDev -5.4%

It is what it is. This is PBR. It's not trying to be anything it's not. This beer is for the funnel and hose not for pouring into a glass and smelling and feeling and....tasting.

It's fizzy and over carbonated and lacking any worthy taste but it's what I want if I have to go the piss-water route. It's not the big 3 (Miller, AB, Coors)!!

You many notice the 5 rating in drinkability and be wondering what I'm smoking. Dude! Any beer you can shotgun is exceptionally drinkable. It's also damn close to water.

Hey...it won a blue ribbon at some point, didn't it?

04-29-2009 01:16:00 | More by SeattleAdam
Seanibus

1.3/5  rDev -55.8%

I hadn't had one of these in a long time, but I was stuck at a concert with only this and Miller to choose from. So I decided to have this and pretend I was a young urban hipster, not a middle aged square dude.

I must say, my memory failed me completely. I had remembered PBR as OK. It is not. In fact, words fail me.

Here is my snap review, in its entirety, typed into my blackberry as I sampled the beer:

"taste like the weewee of a diabetic. Sweet and acidic."

What else can I add?