Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I will point out I am drinking a U.S. pint sized can which is more often purchased at my package store and I think, therefore more fresh. date : 9-13-10 on 6-17-10

This beer kind of reminds me of Carlsberg back in Europe. Which was a crisp and reliable lager dispensed at my local pub.

I believe I used to poke fun at this beer, but to be honest, it is actually alright. I feel the same way about a yuengling lager.

appearance is as clear as can be. a golden lager with good carbonation with white head.

decent malty flavor with a subtle hop character at the end. mouthfeel is flowing and consistent.

aftertaste is actually nice, which I often say is an issue with the common mega-swill lagers of America.

I don't know about any blue-ribbon status. but I don't mind drinking this beer.

mlazzaro, Jun 18, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours very pale yellow, but what a surprise, a big fluffy head and even some ok lacing. What?!!!?

Ok, back to normal. Adjunct corn macro scent, but some herbal hop aromas and light malt.

Not too bad. Light flavors, including malt and light hop bitterness, but no sour notes and a pretty clean finish. Lighter bodied, but appropriate, and this makes this the perfect summer low-end brew. What a friggin' shock, it is actually the best of the adjuncts. I'd drink this any day over Bud. Not too damn bad for what it is.

OtherShoe2, Jun 18, 2010
3.03/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had a can poured into a pint glass at spiral diner in fort worth.

The beer was very pale yellow, very thin head, left almost no lacing.

The smell was very similar to the taste, metallic. Not much else going on here.

The beer went down very well. I could smash many of these.

OK overall, good sessionable beer. Godd for hot weather.

JMad, Jun 13, 2010
2.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Its pale yellow appearance does not bode well , but...
Its lack of a real beer smell does not bode well, but...
Its lack of a malty or hoppy taste does not bode well, but...
Its mouth feel is that of a pale ale whuich is acceptable..
But it is definitely more than the sum of its parts.
Craft beers have no fear: but it is drinkable, especially on a warm day, when it is ice cold.
It was fun renewing my relationship with PBR and it will not be a stranger to my refigerator.

lou50rp, Jun 11, 2010
3.08/5  rDev +4.8%

Ah pabst. I've drank a lot of you my friend. There's huge debate around if PBR is actually decent or if it's just hipster hype. I don't really care bout that but I know that it doesn't offend my palate and it's cheap.

A: yellowy clear with tons of bubbly carbonation and no head retention.

S: smells like...beer. For real though, it smells slightly sweet, bread like, with a touch of sour. Not wild ale sour, just some weirdness.

T: starts slightly sweet, then it actually has a bitter hop hint and flavor at the end. Kind of like some sugary grass. I find it quite crisp.

M: Light, bubbly, with an ever so slight creaminess.

D: Great for a hot summer day. Inoffensive American adjunct lager. For the price I can't complain, I'll never turn down a PBR.

optiontwo, Jun 10, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured a 12oz can into an ale glass.

A: Pale yellow with light head that disappears rather quickly. Light lacing, but not anything special.

S: Not much aroma but maybe just a hint of hops.

T: Light hoppy bitterness with nice dry finish. I like the amount of carbonation and the dryness.

M: Light bodied and decent amount of carbonation along with the dry aftertaste.

D: This is a refreshing brew that is easy to drink. I like something light, ice cold, and refreshing after cutting the grass or working in the garden. This beer fits the bill.

Summary: I can't find any real flaws with PBR. It was the standard in my Grandpa's house and my brother drank it for years too. They both know something about beer! I like this when I can't drink the truly good (expensive) stuff!

honestdave, Jun 10, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -2%

I've drank this on many occasions, enough that I feel I can write an honest review from memory. I've enjoyed it on tap, in a can, and in both 12oz and 40oz bottles.

A - Very light and pale, what you'd expect of a cheap beer. Very little head. Overall it's very lackluster, but there's a slight hint of golden color to it.

S - Skunky and unappealing.

T - It doesn't have much flavor, but relative to other beers in it's price and quality range, it has a lot better of a taste. There's a hint of wheat flavor to it. It's not the best, but once again, relative to cheap lager beers in it's price range, it's quite the bang for your buck.

M - Very light, crisp and refreshing. A rather thin brew if you ask me.

D - It goes down really smooth. Easy to pound, but at the same time, not bad if you want to slowly sip on something.

Overall, PBR isn't my first choice in beer, but as a college student who doesn't have a lot of money, it's definetly in my price range, and relative to other cheaper lager beers, it's not bad. Unlike budweiser, bud light, coors, etc Pabst actually has a flavor; you can definetly taste some wheat and a little bit of malt. For a beer that's so cheap to buy, it's definetly a quality deal. I would take a Pabst over a more expensive Coors, Budweiser or Miller (ESPECIALLY Miller) any day of the week. Definetly the best of the cheap macro brews.

logicallypositiv, Jun 01, 2010
3.4/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the quintessential all american lager, and has all the qualities you'd expect from one.

A: Poured into a glass it has a quickly dissipating head that leaves quite a bit of lacing while the head is leaving, and after it's gone. Nice and clean pale yellow coloring.

S: A sweet melange of malt and a sharp grain aroma.

T: A sharp graininess pushed by a sweetness that ends in a slightly hoppy flavor and dryness.

M: Medium consistent carbonation throughout.

niibuyaa, May 31, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +18.4%

PBR. Why not?

12 ounce bottle, 20 ounce pub glass.

A - Completely clear, pale yellow. White bubble foam to a one finger head that drops to a capper quick.

S - Clean smell with some grain and lageer yeast.

T - Clean tasting. Some bready/grainiess creeps up. Slight bready aftertaste disappears quickly.

M - Thin with medium carbonation.

D - Easy to drink cold for a quencher or to wash down some grub off the grill.

Notes: Drinkability is there because it's not overcarbonated like light beers and many other adjunct lagers. Rare that I drink this style but when I do it's usually PBR as I find it smoother tasting and easier drinking than most. For the price, it's a good beer to grab some cans and toss in a cooler.

EStreet20, May 27, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +20.1%

This beer is an old friend from long ago and when I saw it on tap at the Burger Bar (Las Vegas) I had one for old times sake.

Not sure about other beers in this style (on tap) because I don't come across any, but this looked fine, golden, bright and clear, with a good white head on top.

No real aroma to get your nose round, hints of a hop maybe, but gets my regular score of three for a non-smelling lager/pilsner.

Refreshing and thirst quenching, just like a lager should be, ideal throat cleaner before I hit the bars heavy brews.

I enjoyed it, brought back a couple of memories of drunken sports fields and tins laying around, happy days.

BlackHaddock, May 25, 2010
1.05/5  rDev -64.3%

Appearance - like fizzy bear urine
Smell - slightly malty bear urine
Taste - was there?
Mouthfeel - about 2 seconds before spitting it out
Drinkability - erm no.

Simply foul and not worthy of the term "beer". I would rather never drink again than go anywhere near this muck again.

velkyal, May 19, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +51.4%

First review I've done in a while. Have not stopped drinking good beer, just not reviewing. Also, I thought this beer deserved some good press for once.

A - who cares, not pouring it out of my can, but If I did, it would look very appropriate for an American lager.

S - Not much there, but it smells like beer.

T - Why bother tasting it, just open up, tip your head back and bottoms up!

M - Feels like beer, I like how the bubbles tickle my tongue.

D - When you can slam a beer without having to get off of your bike, then you have a '5'!

Fatduck, May 19, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +31%

This is a beer for nights of mass consumption or any other time that easy drinkability is desired. Typical American lager with crisp aftertaste allowing you to drink large quantities. Slightly better than others in this category because of clean flavor with grains blended well with hops.

deebo, May 19, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -28.6%

oh boy...
for the style it looks OK. Straw color, quite bright, fleeting head.
Aroma is a letdown even though I thought I was ready for it. No DMS or diacetyl. No hop aroma. No real malt aroma. Decently strong corn aroma and a little bit of a sulphur note I find a bit disturbing.
Flavor continues the downward slide. I hear this described as tasting crisp and dry, which I guess is fine if I were describing the flavor of the carbonation or attenuation. In truth my can is neither particularly crisp, with quite low carbonation too, and not too dry either. The beer is corn-sweet, with zero bitterness. There is almost a tart edge to the "flavor"
The killer for me though is that as I try to rate it per style, I find it is not at all "clean"
Ugh, better go get a beer to get rid of the remnants of this.
As I barely finished 2/3 of this one, I can't call it drinkable.

udubdawg, May 19, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to bman1113vr for sharing this silver can of goodness.

The beer pours a very light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is not good with lots of corn and wheat. The flavor is full of adjuncts with tons of corn, rice and wheat. Overall the aroma and flavor are incredibly bland. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This is a beer with nothing positive going on.

Mora2000, May 19, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -5.4%

For some reason I was in the mood for a plain old macro. While at the store I realized something. I had never had a PBR. I grabbed a sixer of pounders and went on my way.

I'm not expecting alot but I'll be fair.

Pours a crystal clear straw yellow with tons of carbonation. A thin soapy head of about 2 fingers that's pure white in color.

Smell is sweet and grainy. Lots of corn and bread like aromas.

Very clean flavors. Sweet corn and grain. A touch of light hops.

Mouthfeel is like expected. Light and clean. Nice amount of carbontion and very refreshing. Finishes very sweet and drinks very easy.

Overall this is one of the better macro lagers I have had. It's actually borderline enjoyable and in no way is it offensive. I would drink PBR all day in the summer. Glad I tried this "ledgend" of an American lager.

BigMike, May 19, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +42.9%

Two pint cans poured into a giant frozen crystal stein. 32 ounces of greatness baby. I shall review this as Beer Advocate advises: within the STYLE.

A: Clear gold with a nice, big but thin head. Nice lace left until the bottom of this huge mug. Once the head goes away, I'm left with a sea of floating islands that have me thinking- this beer LOOKS better than I'd think.

S: I mean, how much complexity can we expect here? Who drinks this for the smell? Not pissy at all...Very mild corn and grains, light steel and clean rain. Faint diacetyl in the background somewhere and maybe a touch of caramel malt.

T: The mouthfeel at first is like soda with a slightly sweet tongue. What follows is a light bodied, semi-slick wave of those grains, (corn mostly and cooked veggies) but nothing bitter. Finishes neat and clean and tidy with nothing left behind that offends this master of all things beer. Not as sweet as Miller High Life, not as pale as Rolling Rock. A good in-between.

D: Definitely one of the most drinkable beers I've had. Right now I'm thinkin shit...I shoulda gotten a couple of these four packs...

Value: Here is the kicker for this decent brew. I paid $2.79 for four pints. I think this stuff is an absolute steal for that price. If you're on a budget, I cannot think of a better choice than a twelve pack of good ole PBR.

This stuff has definitely stood the test of time.

WeezyBoPeep, May 17, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +31%

Appearence is a beautiful straw with a slight orange hew. Smell is clean, a little sweet with fresh corn. Taste is very clean. A slight straw and corn flavor. A little sweet at first but the hops give it a clean, crisp finish. The carbonation is almost perfect for this style. Drinkability is great, you can drink this beer all day especially when its hot.

A very refreshing and good American lager. And the fact you can find a tall 6pack for $4 is awesome. A good everday or session beer. A little cleaner in the bottle than in a can, and even cleaner on tap.

les1721, May 16, 2010
3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a can.

Pretty strong taste of corn. Not head really, and its smell is pretty average as well. However, it's extremely drinkable and a hell of a lot better than the other choices like bud or miller. Easily one of the better cheap beers out there.

hayes31, May 14, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +25.2%

On first thought I'd lump PBR in with all the mass production (as opposed to craft brews) American style lager beers. A friend likes PBR and so I just had to give it a try.

It's flavor isn't complex, it's not a beer that's exceptional or made me do a double take- I think I'll call it a "commodity beer".. it's one that you pour when you want just "a beer".

It's very typical of the American "commercial" lager style-- I gather it uses adjunct ingredients.

It's a light flavor that's not particularly robust or unique, but curiously it's not disagreeable. This beer does have a bit of it's own character-- as a lager it's not so light that it flirts with the flavor of bottled water. Although if you're expecting something above and beyond the other big American brewers-- ah yes, it's missing the birchwood dowel flavor-- you'll be disappointed.

Looks- produced a nice fluffy but short lived head.

A teensy weensy nose- a bit of hops just squeaking out.

Flavor is very light-- a bit of hops and not really much else... a short clean finish.

Mouthfeel-- very light flavor and effervescence.

Drinkability-- I give it a plus because of the ABV level..

I consider this beer as a warm weather refresher-- served cold
it's so mild that it's actually a nice drink with a hint of "beer" in it.

Now the big question is if I were blind folded could I identify it as PBR and not one of the other big commercial brews?

gueuzeonhigh, May 13, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +15%

Not impressed with the appearance, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and a Coors light. The head looks artificial.
Honestly, I can't smell much of this beer, so not much to describe. Soilid taste, though it tastes more like chemicals than an actual brew. Nothing spectacular about the mouthfeel.

Honestly, for the price, the beer isn't bad. If I'm broke on a particular week I'd have no reservations picking up a 30 pack for cheap.

majesticsock, May 10, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +45.6%

A - Looked good.

S - Smelled good.

T - Good lager taste. A little on the malty side, but pretty good balance for a macro. Was not disappointed

M - Good Stuff

D - Good beer for the price, and of the macros I've had it's the best. No wonder Clint was kicking so many of these back in Gran Torino.

7thInningSuds, May 09, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +24.1%

My "ode to pbr"

Poured two cold cans into my Dortmunder boot. I grew up drinking pounders of this. Still one of my favorites.

Pour - alright, ill admit it, its on the inexpensive side for a reason. Nothing blowing ya away on this beer. But thats what i love about. Pours a nice solid straw yellow with good carbonation, slight and quickly retreating head and little lacing to speak of. Bubbles are tiny and numerous.

Nose - plain and simple malt. No frills, no surprises.

Taste - like it smells. Simple, less-flavorful malts. A fair punch of hops at the start but that soon gives way to the rusty, enduring sweetness. No aftertaste at all. Complexity is at a minimum - if anything I detect notes of apple or pear maybe.

Mouthfeel - smooth, clear, crisp, and (in my opinion) very refreshing. Medium bodied. Carbonation is not too heavy, it could use alittle more I think.

Drinkability - a great beer. Simple yet classy. Goes down smooth and doesnt require a great amount of effort to enjoy.

I stand by this beer. Its a great model for good, old fashioned working class american beer that hasnt sold out, hasnt changed, hasnt deviated from the plan.

BricksandPorter, May 06, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -0.3%

A: very light golden color a ton of bubbles streaming up from bottom of the glass some lace and head is sticking around

S: very light smell not much going on a grassy smell with a hint of sweetness

T: its crisp its light sometimes if you drink bud miller or coors they can have an offensive taste to me and this does not have it

M: its real carbonated but doesnt really bug me light body

D: yea you can drink it and its sessionable

overall: this and miller highlife are my fav macro lagers well I do like stella too good beer to drink in the summer goes down easy and doesn't offend. I still wanna try the new Gusto that came out recently too.

JamisonM, May 05, 2010
3.23/5  rDev +9.9%

I actually grew up drinking PBR. Then moved on. But anyway, I havent had this brew in over 20 years. I thought I would give it a try. Pours a two fingered white head. Head hung around for a little while. Not much lacing going on. Brew itself is a light yellow and very clear. Had a lot of bubbles spewing from the bottom of the glass. Not a lot of smell going on. Just of maybe some grain and grass. Again very light. The taste was very light also, and I mean very light. I dont know how to describe it. Maybe a hair of sweetness. It didnt really taste bad, it actually tasted good. Felt good in the mouth, not to much carbonation. The old PBR would make a good session beer. Easy on the wallet and doesnt fill you up. Sunday afternoon doing lawnmowing and garden work, perfect.

youngleo, May 05, 2010