Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev +12.2%

AHHH pabst. The first beer I ever drank if I remember correctly. As I am a college student I still usually keep a few in the fridge for a game or when my money is low. I drank a rochefort 10 earlier today so it isn't really fair to review this beer afterwards but I feel it is ok because I've had more pabst than any other beer, nothing really even comes close.

It's your typical straw color, super clear, ok head but it fades pretty quickly.

Smells like.. pabst, Corn adjuncts and clean malt. A vague hint of grassy hops.

Taste has pretty good balance for what it is, nice clean malt finish. My favorite cheap beer.

Nice and crisp and cold. Refreshing, feels almost hydrating but still tastes superior to most macros.

I mean I've shotgunned hundreds of these I'm sure as this was my go to beer in highschool, so maybe a hold a bit of a soft spot in my heart for this beer. I feel my rating is fair considering im reviewing with the style in mind however.

Dspohn, Sep 29, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -17.7%

This was a leftover from a game of Texas Hold 'Em. What the heck?

Poured from a can into a pint glass, a clear, light yellow with a huge head that drops to about a finger, with big, loose bubbles and lots o' fizz. The most see-through beer I've reviewed so far.

Smell is a mix of sweet grains & basement, the kind of dank smell I remember beer smelling like when I was a kid. A little hoppy, a little grassy, mostly like sweet corn.

Tastes better than it smells, but that's not saying much: like corn flakes with a lot of sugar & a crisp snap from whatever hops are in here. And a slight vegetable taste, hmmm.

Mouthfeel is actually not terrible, some bite and tingle, but sort of watery otherwise. Aftertaste is like cheap bubblegum, eh. Goes down fast & easy, but every evening I've spent drinking PBR leaves me feeling like I've sucked on change.

In conclusion, it is what it is. For a totally utilitarian beer, you could do worse, & I'll have it as a last resort. But is that really the point?

OneDropSoup, Sep 28, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -9.9%

Had Bottle at the Map Room Bar in Cleveland

Poured into Pint Glass

a: light straw color fair amount of caronation. Little Head that reduces very quicly

s: smells ok, malt not much hops. One of the better smelling macros

t: not as watered down as other macros. Nothing that stands out too much in my mind, just a average solid beer that is better than Bud or MGD.

m&d: medium bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. Easy to drink and a great session beer. A good choice over the other BMC crap.

UDbeernut, Sep 25, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours pale gold with a typical head that dies down relatively fast. A few strands of bubbles are flowing to the top steadily. Smells somewhat grainy, a bit fruity, berry-like or microscopically floral even, close to skunky.

Taste is especially quenching at first because there is not too much malt sweetness in the beginning. Some mild bitterness, slightly floral, slightly skunky. Not sure how it could resemble skunk when it was in a can, slightly berrylike. Probably one of the better adjunct lagers just because it isn't too sweet. Light body and medium carbonation, feels quite nice. Drinks lighter than most adjunct lagers and not as sweet.

vacax, Sep 25, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -15%

A- poured a light golden color from a can, pretty heady but receded rather quickly.
S- not much to the nose on this one, maybe some hops but that is about the extent of it
T- a very non offending beer, you can taste a little hops and basicaly nothing else, maybe water haha.
M- very thin with a fair amount of carbonation. This beer is made to be drank at large quantities.
D- again this is made for mass consumption and that is about all, it is a better than most mass produced beers but is still lacking. Enjoy though if you are a hipster

Wisconsinality, Sep 20, 2009

Here what i can say about this beer:

A: It has a Golden color

S: I couldn't smell anything in this beer.

T: You can taste a little bit of the hops that were used to brew this beer

M: It goes down smoothly

D: It's a good general consumption beer.

I had it poured from the tap.

MikeRa, Sep 19, 2009
2.98/5  rDev +1.4%

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

PBR is a exceptional beer. It is a beer that I consider a "beer in between beer." It is a beer that I will drink when I am done sipping one of my favorites.

A: The appearance has a golden look that is almost the same look as your other average light beers. After pouring the beer, it leaves very minimal lacing and a minimal head.

S: The smell is more than what you would expect from light beer. You are able to pick out a minimal hoppy smell and barley.

T-M: After taking a sip, you will realize that this isnt any ordinary light beer. This beer actually has flavor. Of course you still have the corn taste, but you are able to taste the hops and malts in the beer.

D: It is very easy beer to drink. To me (and my bro) it is just like drinking water.

chasebrownyeah1, Sep 19, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -13.9%

I found one of these in the back of my fridge, so here goes.

A: The aggressive pour was not too bad for a lager. The bubbly head lasted all of 25 seconds. Bubbles dominated the pour making it look a lot like Champagne.

S: I tried and tried but could not find a smell to this beer...no wait, cought a whiff of dirty-sugar-malt.

T: My taste is overwhelmed by bubbles, then leads to sugary bubbles. I can actualy taste the water in the beer. There are suble hints of grapes in the aftertaste.

M: Very thin mouthfeel, there is equal presence in hard-water tap-water.

D: I think I could drink a few of these;)

(On a side note, no other beer retains its flavor like PBR whether it is warm or cold...the taste is the same. Excellent camping beer.)

TCgoalie, Sep 17, 2009
3.18/5  rDev +8.2%

Thank you Hove for leaving a tallboy in my fridge before the Ghost Towns show.

16 oz. can poured into an imperial pint glass.

A-Lighter golden brew, clear. Big, light white head rose large off the pour, but reduced quickly to sparse bubbles.

S-Malty sweetness, crips. This aroma fits the beer appropriately.

T-Sweet graininess, slightly bready, with just a hint of sweet spice and a small bitterness. Finishes crisp and clear, very refreshing.

M-Light body, medium to medium-high carbonation.

D-Drinkable, as one of the brews that I've had the pleasure with which to session.

CHSLBrew, Sep 17, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +23.5%

A classic cheap American beer unfortunately turned into a hipster prop.

Appearance: Very clear light gold color with a big sudsy white head that leaves some lace on the glass.

Smell: Not very strong sweet malt with some dusty graininess, faint hops, mostly clean.

Taste: Malt and corn sweetness, some light hop bitterness, a very faint touch of acridness on the tip of the tongue for a moment, a dry-ish finish.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, clean and refreshing with mild carbonation.

Drinkability: One of the best of the cheapo American beers, along with Miller High Life (though PBR is way better than MHL), but Schlitz still takes the crown.

sbe1, Sep 14, 2009
3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Good cheap beer.

APP: Light yellow with decent head retention for a light beer

SML: There is no unique smell. It smells like any other light beer, subtle and bland.

TST: Surprisingly tasty. Despite cheap and light, it has a deeper and more complex malty taste than most light beers.

MTH: Decent aftertaste that does not invade the senses. Refreshing.

DRK: As good from the first sip to the last.

runesead, Sep 10, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -3.7%

Draft and can. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer when I first drank it from a BA perspective - it's far from good, but it beats most of the other macro crap. I consider American adJUNK lagers to be a disgrace to humanity, but they get a lot worse than PBR (e.g. Bud Light).

A - Golden yellow color with white head. Slightly fizzy.

S - Not much in the way of aroma, mostly corn.

T - Corn, sweet pale malt, and a decent mild hoppiness that other macros either don't have or screw up. This is hoppier than triple-hopped Miller Lite, which we all know is a real hop bomb that makes Pliny the Elder taste like H2O.

M - Palate is a little watery, but hey, it IS PBR. Better than a light beer at least.

D - Well, it's m-fing PBR. Drinkability is fairly high because it's light as hell.

nickd717, Sep 09, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -6.5%

First time trying this in Austin, Tx. Given to me at a party
A - Poured a clear pale golden color, big white head quickly diminished.
S - Cheap grains, corn, bread, slightly hoppier than a BMC
T - tastes like BMC but slightly better due to the slight hoppiness flavor from the middle and takes it to the end.

M - Thin and light, good carbonation

D - it was drinkable as long as it was cold.
Notes, I did like this one better than like a Miller or Coors, I found it more bearable and actually enjoyed this beer at the party.

BayouBengal1537, Sep 08, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a brilliantly clear pale gold, large head vanishes quickly leaving thin white lacing.

Sweet light malts with grassy notes a hope flavor also come through

Crisp with pleasant carbonation, sweet and lightly malty there are certainly corny grainy notes throughout slight alcohol taste feels pleasant on the tongue a this beer finishes with a slightly hoppy surprise

This beer is light bodied and as i said before has extremely pleasant carbonation

Goes down quite smooth

Probably one of the best value beers on the market its a nice change up from a world filled with dopplebocks and imperial stouts

HopBacchus, Sep 03, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured into my pilsner glass a pale yellow with a big white head on top. Little lacing on the glass. Smells like cheap grains, sweet corn, and bread. The mouth is really thin and wet. Very slick. Flavor is cheap and buttery. Not a whole lot going on here, but that's expected. I liked this in the past, but this is not that good now.

Onenote81, Sep 01, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

The best value around here as I can get a pitcher of it anytime for $3. Tastes better than the other American macros and more drinkable as well. I've drank so much of this stuff I'm sure it's part of my DNA. I only hope they don't use any genetically modified ingredients!

superdavex, Sep 01, 2009
3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

This is the best beer for your money. Being a poor college student I can't find a better deal. Most bars do 5$ pitchers and a 12 pack is 7$. It's not fancy and its not going to blow your mind in any way but it sure beats Bud, Coors, Miller, any day of the week. It won a blue ribbon didn't it?

sgtpepper420, Aug 29, 2009
1.43/5  rDev -51.4%

A: Extremely typical macro-brewed lager appearance: Clear straw yellow with some frothy white head.

S: Very strange artificial yeast smell with a good helping of cooked veggies. It became nauseating to dwell on the smell.

T: Again, the nauseating yeast flavor with lots of corn and a metallic aftertaste.

M: Crisp; frothy head gave it a odd coffee-foam like texture though.

D: Easily one of the toughest beers for me to choke down. I can't find much good to say about this beer but I'll refrain from bashing it.

thekanna, Aug 25, 2009
3.3/5  rDev +12.2%

On-tap at Moe's and Joe's in Atlanta.

Pours a light straw color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes quickly into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of corny malts with slightly herbal hops and a nondescript fruit sweetness.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Corny and slightly musty sweet malt flavors are joined by a decent hop bitterness midway through the sip that carries through to the end.

Mouthfeel is alright. It's a bit on the light side but with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is not all that bad. I finished my glass without much problem and could drink a few more.

Overall this is one of the better options out there as far as macro's go. Obviously I'd prefer craft beer but this isn't a terrible back-up.

glid02, Aug 23, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +33.7%

I poured this beer from a 12 ounce can into a pint glass.

It is a pale yellow with a decent white head that disipates relatively quickly.

The smell is of grains with a hint of hops. I really like the smell. It makes my mouth water.

The taste is also pretty good. It is not too complex. It goes down smooth with a decent mouthfeel.

This is very drinkable, and for the price is hard to beat.

greengorilla, Aug 22, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +25.9%

Pretty good for my "go to" beer. Nice and light, good cold on a nice hot summer day. I used to drink Busch, but this shit is way better. Great color on tap or even out of the can. Had a sweet keg of it on July 4th, doesn't get much more American than that. Enjoy with a nice veggie burger.

misterdork, Aug 18, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours a pale yellow golden color with a small sudsy white head that fades away quickly and leaves a little bit of lacing.

Smells of corn husk and sugar but not a very pronounced aroma so its not too offensive.

Tastes of sweet corn with some light grassy notes, but is realyy watered down. Again the taste is very lightly evident, almost like drinking water so at least its not horible, just neutral.

Light bodied with lots of fizzy carbonation. Overall, pretty inoffensive and makes for a good cheap guzzler on a hot day.

Vengeance526, Aug 18, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +5.4%

on tap @ the Other-Side cafe in Boston.

Nothing special, just an easy drinking American-Style Lager. I think PBR has become more trendy lately, as the price of a 30-rack has went up from $13 to $17. Still, its cheaper than the big 3, and definetely better as well. Seems to be hoppier and creamier on tap than from the can or bottle. Solid choice when you're low on funds.

ghebb, Aug 16, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +3.7%

A: I usually just drink it from the can, but it's pale yellow with white foam.

S: The smell is not one of the finer points of PBR. It's got a slight grain smell to it and (surprisingly to some) a bit of hop character. However, it's also got a bit of a tinny/metallic twang to it.

T: A decent flavor of grain, which is a lot more than you can say for most American Light/Adjunct Lagers.

M: Very light and quite fizzy.

D: You can definitely put down a lot of them, and PBR is a lot better tasting than most beers in this style.

womencantsail, Aug 15, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Pale golden yellow with frothy white head. And much to my suprise, there is actually some nice lacework.

S: Grass and sweet grain. Some honey, and a light punch of hops. Also a bit metallic.

T: Pretty generic macro flavor. Grassy, grain and cereal. A light touch of hops on the backend.

M: Light bodied, and actively carbonation. Has a nice bite to it, and finishes slightly dry.

D: This is one of the better macro lagers around, but still isn't anything special. But after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day, a few PBR's definitely hit the spot.

JMD, Aug 13, 2009