Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

Transparent straw colored lager. Generous white head forms and recedes quickly leaving a thin layer of soda-like froth. Plenty of visible bubbles.

Smell is pretty clean with some grains, corn and rice. Nothing special.

Pretty smooth flavor. Bread grains and some corn adjunct. Crisp hop character comes to life with earthy and leafy notes.

Lighter body, lots of bubbles and crisp feel.

Served cold, this stuff is actually pretty refreshing. Flavors are not very complex but it has a clean simplicity which makes it tasty. Slightly above average for the style.

2.8/5  rDev -4.8%

Corn and malt in the nose.

Malty sweet to the taste and good carbonation. Very chugable. Faint hop character

Finishes off a bit sweet.

Better than most adjunct lagers. Nothing to impressive here but nothing nasty either.

I don't usually drink a lot of PBR but my landlord offered me a beer so I'm reveiwing it.

From tap to shaker glass at Fast Eddie's on 4/29/11
*From notes

A: Caffine induced urine in color. .5 finger head, zero lacing.

S: Boiled corn husk.

T: Sweet green apple, canned corn and cereal grains. Zero alcohol is detected by my palate.

M: Like butter - it's just slick and slides right on down my gullet.

O: When in Rome. While sitting in a pool bar next to the mechanical bull I figured, "What the hell?" I slipped into hipster mode and ordered up an ice cold PBR.

This certainly isn't the first macro I reach for, but it's one of the better session AAL's out there. If you're in the mood for an adjunct, you could certainly do a hell of a lot worse.

3.8/5  rDev +29.3%

bjcp lists a number of commercial examples for the classic american lager style 1b. pbr is one of them.

for me this is the perfect representation of the style

overall impression is stated as "thirst quenching" i could not put it better myself. i would describe it as "goes down like water" if i were asked

the "sting" that is suggested is not so present in this beer as other examples of this given style.

the one draw back is the corn note present in the finish. more prevalent than if i were to make the beer for myself.

Ok, so this was this was the 1st beer I ever had. I stole it out of the crisper of my gran dads beer fridge and then ran under a coastal bridge in Tampa and took a sip. I hated it! But I knew that this was my first beer and I MUST drink it, so I did. For this reason alone is why I say PBR IS the beer of all beers.
A-looks like a beautiful sunset over the Gulf of Mexico
S-smells like a wonderful night out on the town with all the guys while Jason Heyward is hittin' some homers
T-Like Winning!
O- I am biased to this one so please don't hate the review.

2.3/5  rDev -21.8%

16 oz Can left in my fridge, thought I'd give it a serious review...
Poured into a Spaten Octoberfest Pint

A ~ Pale as hell. Straw that has been soaking in water and dried in the sun.

S ~ Worst part about adjuncts is the smell. Metal and watered down corn.

T ~ Dead, dead Hops. Rice and Corn. Lots of water and that damn stale/dead hop bite that all of these non-bud adjunct lager's have.

M ~ Cloying. Metallic. Alcohol lingers even after just one.

D ~ Better than B/M/C but still pretty shady stuff. Fine for a cookout with many friends.

Overall ~ If your gonna drink PBR, get it on Tap. Can's are bogus and impart too much on the flavor. Or just don't don't drink it at all, either/or...

Prost.

2.65/5  rDev -9.9%

30 pack of inexpensive beer. Carries with it a couple of intangibles - a certain underground cachet, and a personal connection with the aroma (as the sense of smell is closely associated with memory). The smell of PBR reminds me of the softball fields of my parents' leagues when I was younger, and of fishing with my Dad.

I should be able to separate myself from these attachments to make a fair judgement of this brew.

Pale color, faint aroma. But it does have a good mouthfeel and a passable taste.

3.13/5  rDev +6.5%

Found a 12 pack for $5. Figured what the hell ...

A: Typical AAL appearance .. with some nice head and lacing! I'm surprised.

S: Smells like white bread and faint whiffs of canned corn.

T: Some hints of honey in there, can't taste any hops. Its very close to water.

M: Refreshing when drunk cold.

O: Decent swill to pound back when you maxed out your credit card, find some change inside your couch and find the pack in the clearance aisle of your favorite supermarket.

3.18/5  rDev +8.2%

Canadian version brewed by Sleeman. 473 mL can, 4.9% ABV.

Pours a washed-out straw yellow colour with a sizable soapy head that burns off in a few minutes. A collar does get retained and there is a ton of visible carbonation.

Smell is typical of the style; corn syrup, a grainy tone and a metallic tinge.

Good taste for an adjunct lager really. There is a distinct malty sweetness with a corn overtone and a nicely-balanced bitterness. No real distinct flavours otherwise, but it does actually have some taste.

Starts out dry and crisp. Thin-bodied and a bit watery, but the carbonation provides some weight on the tongue. Sort of a sour, metallic taste on the finish.

Given the cost ($20 for 12*473 mL in Ontario), I can see why PBR is popular these days. It's a very typical example of the style, but with a bit more punch than comparable beers.

3.9/5  rDev +32.7%

Came out looking flat; I'd been drinking out of the can (24oz man-can) before I decided to review, so that could be why. It smells like most macro-brews. A little corny. That nauseating hint of sweetness is absent in the nose. Light straw color, crystal clear. Very drinkable and I'm not being sarcastic. Much better than my beast that I drink. There's a grainy bitterness but very light. No hint of sweetness, which I really despise in American lite lagers.

2.8/5  rDev -4.8%

Sparkling clear pale yellow with a fluffy, pure-white head on top. Lightly sweet, anemic grainy aroma...faint grass and corn. Very bland, nearly flavorless beery flavor. It's not awful, especially on a hot day and/or to wash down certain food. Light grainy sweetness, decently crisp, not too corny or anything. I don't know. Cheap, harmless, flavorless beery beer.

4.38/5  rDev +49%

Judged as an American lager, this is a classic great beer. It's better than its bigger competitors and a joy to drink when you're looking for a crisp clean beer that goes down well. Elegantly simple, refreshingly uncomplicated. I feel cool drinking it.

2.53/5  rDev -13.9%

Just popped a can of this classic. While this beer is certainly nothing to write home about is is probably my favorite american adjunct lager. I'd take a pbr any day over a bud, miller or coors. Its cheep and doesn't taste awful, while still getting the job done on a weekend night. I would definitely recommend this as an alternative beer for casual beer drinkers.

3.05/5  rDev +3.7%

What a mediocre brew. Feeling hip with swagger, I decide to embark into this can.
Golden child, how you dance in the light! The fair bubbles rise interminably from the bottom of the glass, eking out into the atmosphere.
Smells like corn and barley and a faint fresh cut grass hoppiness. A pittance of bitterness.
Not too light, brings a little body, which is nice.
I'd rather have a Bud or a Coors. Sorry to say it, but it be the truth.

3.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A: pale pale gold, carbonation rising fast from the bottom. pour a head that stuck around for maybe 30 seconds and then dried up faster water in a dessert.

S: not much going on. malts and fresh paper?

T & M: my tongue seems to go numb for like 2 secs after i take a sip. light to borderline mid body, fairly carbonated. crisp and finishes dry. metallic hints, watery, grassy.

overall: this beer isnt half bad if your looking at it in the cheap beer realm. As a college student, this beer is one of my favorites to buy a 30. Its cheap, its tastes good enough, and most importantly it gets the job done. Of course id rather be drinking something with a bit more class, but as far as bang for your buck... this beer is one of the best (way better then busch light or natty).

3.05/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Have this on the regular for drinking games, and when funds are low. Best of the rest, this beer doesn't quite taste like beer, but also doesnt quite taste like piss like the big 3.

Part of the Philly "City Special", which is a shot of Jameson and a PBR. Hipster? Yes? Also for normal people? Yes.

Notes:
-Pounder cans, 16oz
-Everywhere in Philly

2.58/5  rDev -12.2%

Buddy of mine left some bottles over at my house so i figured what the hell. Poured into a pint.

Looks like yellow water, however the head is good with good lacing and it is very clear.
Smells like old corn and tastes kind of like old corn but the taste isn't really terrible. it is a very drinkable beer. good pizza beer.

Overall. It's an AAL which is just meh.. but It's not the worst that is out there and it's not a terrible brew to have around.

3.33/5  rDev +13.3%

Serving Type- Served on tap into a chilled pint glass.

Appearance- A golden straw color with about a finger and a half's worth of white head. The lace of head left behind on the glass quickly dissipates.

Smell- Doesn't smell unlike most mass distributed generic beer. Very faint grain smell with an almost unnoticeable aroma of hops present.

Taste- Very light grain flavor, it has almost a sweet corn note half way through the sip. Given what some people say about the bear the expectations of most people are probably low to begin with.

Mouthfeel- Having low expectations while ordering this beer probably gave it a good shot. My expectations were definitely exceeded. It was moderately carbonated with a pretty smooth aftertaste. No real "bite" of bitterness to speak of.

Overall- Overall this beer is a pretty solid generic American lager. In my opinion I would pick it time and again over most of the other American beer tyrants such as Budweiser, Coors, and Miller.

1.53/5  rDev -48%

Can poured into a lager glass.

Appearance - White one finger head with good retention. Super pale straw body.

Smell - Stale cardboard.

Taste - Dry. Metallic. Horrible even for an AAL.

Mouthfeel - Watery mess.

Overall Drinkability - Crap. No real redeeming qualities besides the price. Even that doesn't balance out the worthiness of this brew.

2.93/5  rDev -0.3%

So. I have a little secret that I am spilling forth at this moment. Since I can't always afford "high quality" beer, this is my go-to cheap stuff. Not proud of it, but I think it deserves some words of my own...

Appearance - Pours a golden body with a fierce, bright white head (about 2"). Lacing is minimal, if any.

Smell - Grassy hops are very prevalent here. The malts remind me of bread. That's about it....

Taste - This beer is watered down, but has some decent flavor to make up for it. The grassy hops linger for a few seconds and then a sweet back end finishes it off. The sweetness lasts for quite a bit and is accompanied by a slight bitterness. Not too crazy though.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is very prevalent. The beer stings as I swish it around and makes me feel that I can substitute this beer for my antiseptic mouthwash. Probably wouldn't taste very good though....

Overall - This is an average beer, but compared to most of the affordable stuff out there, I think this is king. It's pretty drinkable and I will still drink this beer in the future. Probably for a while. If you only have a buck or two and want to enjoy a beer, I recommend this.

3.23/5  rDev +9.9%

A really decent macro lager. Poured from a 1 pint can into pint glass--two inch seltzer head. A golden straw colour.

The nose was like fresh cut grass, slightly sweet, and with a touch of citrusy hop.

The taste was rather nice--grass, a touch of hop bitterness, green apple, and a touch of corn husk.

Very refreshing macro lager.

Better than I was anticipating. Poured a 2" head which took a while to dissipate. Clear and almost neon yellow color. Smell and taste are standard BMC (weak general American lager) however it has a little zing and the finish is longer than the typical BMC. If I regularly chose BMC styles as my standard style I could easily satisfy with PBR.

3.48/5  rDev +18.4%

Appearance:
Straw-colored. Yellow. Bubbly. You name it, you've seen it before. The ever-famous yellow fizziness that is the American Adjunct Lager. From it's quickly disappearing white foam to it's remarkable absence of lacing, this beer has what it takes to show that it could only be from one country on one continent in the world.

Smell:
Pale malts, nearly unnoticeable hop character, slightly starchy, and almost metallic in nature. Some people may mistake this for something like aluminum affecting the smell. However, it is quite the opposite. This is where aluminum gets it's smell from. Think about it. Aluminum has such a distinct metallic smell, just like this beer. Millions of beer cans are recycled every year. All modern aluminum once held beer, where it picked up that signature aroma.

Taste:
No one will ever forget their first taste of PBR. The metallic aroma strikes the tongue, evaporating into surprisingly pleasant pale malt taste. There is just enough of a hint of bitterness to let you know that hops are in some way utilized in the crafting of this beverage. Despite the lightness of the flavor, there is something amazing about it. A subtle feeling of contentedness, and refreshment. It begs you to take another sip.

Mouthfeel:
Bubbles pop off of your tongue as the beer sits in your mouth, and even for a moment after the rest of the brew has left. This is one carbonated beverage. There is a feeling of a medium-bodiedness, even though the taste is very light. It's as if you're drinking a soda. A manly feeling in a light way. And a bonus for the hipsters, as it is a very ironic way for your mouth to feel.

Overall:
Hands down, this is my favorite beer in the AAL leagues. On top of that, it is an icon of our times. "But Mister Larkin," you ask, "Aren't you supposed to be a craft beer enthusiast? Shouldn't you scoff at this style?" First, don't call me Mr. Larkin. That was my dad, and he prefers Miller Lite. Second, I am an all-beer enthusiast, and I see no reason to scoff. It's a reasonably well made beer for it's style. And the style doesn't deserve so much criticism. Any beer from any style can be a good beer, just as any shirt can be a wife-beater. Except I mean that as being more positive than my analogy. Um.

3.3/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance: pours a clear straw-colored liquid. clearly a newtonian lquid.

smell: has a generic "beer" smell. i wouldn't be able to pick this out of a sample of other generic beers based on smell alone

taste: while not offensive, this beer leaves plenty to be desired for my palate (seeing as how i'm accustomed to stouts and IPAs)

mouthfeel: nice and crisp. this would be excellent for a hot summer

overall: probably worth the $20 i dropped on the case.

3.85/5  rDev +31%

A: light yellow. Two fingers of white and loose head that stick around for awhile and then dissipate to a thick sheet of the same. Surprisingly, lots of lacing, nearly sheeting.

S: Corn, lemon, grain, alcohol. Simple, but unoffensive.

T: Corn again, light and grainy alcohol flavor. A slight vegetal (broccoli?) flavor. Pretty standard PBR.

M: Medium body for the style. Medium to light carb for the style. Well played.

O: wow. I'm gonna get some shit for this. This is one of the more well crafted adjunct's I've had. I think I prefer this to others. Guess I will have to review them...

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company