Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A: pale pale gold, carbonation rising fast from the bottom. pour a head that stuck around for maybe 30 seconds and then dried up faster water in a dessert.

S: not much going on. malts and fresh paper?

T & M: my tongue seems to go numb for like 2 secs after i take a sip. light to borderline mid body, fairly carbonated. crisp and finishes dry. metallic hints, watery, grassy.

overall: this beer isnt half bad if your looking at it in the cheap beer realm. As a college student, this beer is one of my favorites to buy a 30. Its cheap, its tastes good enough, and most importantly it gets the job done. Of course id rather be drinking something with a bit more class, but as far as bang for your buck... this beer is one of the best (way better then busch light or natty).

3.05/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Have this on the regular for drinking games, and when funds are low. Best of the rest, this beer doesn't quite taste like beer, but also doesnt quite taste like piss like the big 3.

Part of the Philly "City Special", which is a shot of Jameson and a PBR. Hipster? Yes? Also for normal people? Yes.

Notes:
-Pounder cans, 16oz
-Everywhere in Philly

2.58/5  rDev -12.2%

Buddy of mine left some bottles over at my house so i figured what the hell. Poured into a pint.

Looks like yellow water, however the head is good with good lacing and it is very clear.
Smells like old corn and tastes kind of like old corn but the taste isn't really terrible. it is a very drinkable beer. good pizza beer.

Overall. It's an AAL which is just meh.. but It's not the worst that is out there and it's not a terrible brew to have around.

3.33/5  rDev +13.3%

Serving Type- Served on tap into a chilled pint glass.

Appearance- A golden straw color with about a finger and a half's worth of white head. The lace of head left behind on the glass quickly dissipates.

Smell- Doesn't smell unlike most mass distributed generic beer. Very faint grain smell with an almost unnoticeable aroma of hops present.

Taste- Very light grain flavor, it has almost a sweet corn note half way through the sip. Given what some people say about the bear the expectations of most people are probably low to begin with.

Mouthfeel- Having low expectations while ordering this beer probably gave it a good shot. My expectations were definitely exceeded. It was moderately carbonated with a pretty smooth aftertaste. No real "bite" of bitterness to speak of.

Overall- Overall this beer is a pretty solid generic American lager. In my opinion I would pick it time and again over most of the other American beer tyrants such as Budweiser, Coors, and Miller.

1.53/5  rDev -48%

Can poured into a lager glass.

Appearance - White one finger head with good retention. Super pale straw body.

Smell - Stale cardboard.

Taste - Dry. Metallic. Horrible even for an AAL.

Mouthfeel - Watery mess.

Overall Drinkability - Crap. No real redeeming qualities besides the price. Even that doesn't balance out the worthiness of this brew.

2.93/5  rDev -0.3%

So. I have a little secret that I am spilling forth at this moment. Since I can't always afford "high quality" beer, this is my go-to cheap stuff. Not proud of it, but I think it deserves some words of my own...

Appearance - Pours a golden body with a fierce, bright white head (about 2"). Lacing is minimal, if any.

Smell - Grassy hops are very prevalent here. The malts remind me of bread. That's about it....

Taste - This beer is watered down, but has some decent flavor to make up for it. The grassy hops linger for a few seconds and then a sweet back end finishes it off. The sweetness lasts for quite a bit and is accompanied by a slight bitterness. Not too crazy though.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is very prevalent. The beer stings as I swish it around and makes me feel that I can substitute this beer for my antiseptic mouthwash. Probably wouldn't taste very good though....

Overall - This is an average beer, but compared to most of the affordable stuff out there, I think this is king. It's pretty drinkable and I will still drink this beer in the future. Probably for a while. If you only have a buck or two and want to enjoy a beer, I recommend this.

3.23/5  rDev +9.9%

A really decent macro lager. Poured from a 1 pint can into pint glass--two inch seltzer head. A golden straw colour.

The nose was like fresh cut grass, slightly sweet, and with a touch of citrusy hop.

The taste was rather nice--grass, a touch of hop bitterness, green apple, and a touch of corn husk.

Very refreshing macro lager.

Better than I was anticipating. Poured a 2" head which took a while to dissipate. Clear and almost neon yellow color. Smell and taste are standard BMC (weak general American lager) however it has a little zing and the finish is longer than the typical BMC. If I regularly chose BMC styles as my standard style I could easily satisfy with PBR.

3.48/5  rDev +18.4%

Appearance:
Straw-colored. Yellow. Bubbly. You name it, you've seen it before. The ever-famous yellow fizziness that is the American Adjunct Lager. From it's quickly disappearing white foam to it's remarkable absence of lacing, this beer has what it takes to show that it could only be from one country on one continent in the world.

Smell:
Pale malts, nearly unnoticeable hop character, slightly starchy, and almost metallic in nature. Some people may mistake this for something like aluminum affecting the smell. However, it is quite the opposite. This is where aluminum gets it's smell from. Think about it. Aluminum has such a distinct metallic smell, just like this beer. Millions of beer cans are recycled every year. All modern aluminum once held beer, where it picked up that signature aroma.

Taste:
No one will ever forget their first taste of PBR. The metallic aroma strikes the tongue, evaporating into surprisingly pleasant pale malt taste. There is just enough of a hint of bitterness to let you know that hops are in some way utilized in the crafting of this beverage. Despite the lightness of the flavor, there is something amazing about it. A subtle feeling of contentedness, and refreshment. It begs you to take another sip.

Mouthfeel:
Bubbles pop off of your tongue as the beer sits in your mouth, and even for a moment after the rest of the brew has left. This is one carbonated beverage. There is a feeling of a medium-bodiedness, even though the taste is very light. It's as if you're drinking a soda. A manly feeling in a light way. And a bonus for the hipsters, as it is a very ironic way for your mouth to feel.

Overall:
Hands down, this is my favorite beer in the AAL leagues. On top of that, it is an icon of our times. "But Mister Larkin," you ask, "Aren't you supposed to be a craft beer enthusiast? Shouldn't you scoff at this style?" First, don't call me Mr. Larkin. That was my dad, and he prefers Miller Lite. Second, I am an all-beer enthusiast, and I see no reason to scoff. It's a reasonably well made beer for it's style. And the style doesn't deserve so much criticism. Any beer from any style can be a good beer, just as any shirt can be a wife-beater. Except I mean that as being more positive than my analogy. Um.

3.3/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance: pours a clear straw-colored liquid. clearly a newtonian lquid.

smell: has a generic "beer" smell. i wouldn't be able to pick this out of a sample of other generic beers based on smell alone

taste: while not offensive, this beer leaves plenty to be desired for my palate (seeing as how i'm accustomed to stouts and IPAs)

mouthfeel: nice and crisp. this would be excellent for a hot summer

overall: probably worth the $20 i dropped on the case.

3.85/5  rDev +31%

A: light yellow. Two fingers of white and loose head that stick around for awhile and then dissipate to a thick sheet of the same. Surprisingly, lots of lacing, nearly sheeting.

S: Corn, lemon, grain, alcohol. Simple, but unoffensive.

T: Corn again, light and grainy alcohol flavor. A slight vegetal (broccoli?) flavor. Pretty standard PBR.

M: Medium body for the style. Medium to light carb for the style. Well played.

O: wow. I'm gonna get some shit for this. This is one of the more well crafted adjunct's I've had. I think I prefer this to others. Guess I will have to review them...

3.23/5  rDev +9.9%

Can poured into a pint glass.

A: A decent 1 inch head appeared a lingered a little. Pale yellow/golden in color.

S: Sweet. The smell is very sweet and tempting.

T: The taste is sweet with a tiny bit of bitterness. Very mild tasting compared to my usual brews.

M: Perfect amount of carbonation for a mainstream macro American Lager. At times a little too harsh, as if you just chugged a bunch of soda (you all know the feeling).

O: My favorite readily available macro lager that can be had just about anywhere. It is cheaper than Bud, Miller, and Coors and has a better flavor. It is very quaffable and refreshing on a hot summer day. For what it is (American macro lager) its an A, but in the world of beer a C at best.

2.45/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance: Crystal clear straw yellow, it pours with vigorous foaming which dies down to absolutely nothing in about half a minute. No lacing whatsoever.

Smell: Faint (very faint) whiff of grains and frat-house memories.

Taste: Slight hops bitterness, but with none of that troublesome flavor. A metallic edge to it.

Mouthfeel: Very high carbonation, with a light body. Crisp finish.

Overall: If you like to pound them down, this beer is for you. Not for me, however. Too carbonated, not enough complexity or hops. I can see appreciating this beer more at a cookout.

2.9/5  rDev -1.4%

An American Classic of a beer. Although this beer doesn't have very much to offer it's still standing the tests of time. This beer is you typical American style Lager with a Fizzy white head that fades into a flat yellow liquid. The mouthfeel isn't as light as a "light" beer but but it's not even close to being heavy either. This beer keep it simple.

3.7/5  rDev +25.9%

APPEARANCE - Pale, yellow brew with a significant amount of carbonation. Thin white head that immediately dissipates after pour.

SMELL - It won't win any awards, but it is a far cry from Bud Light. Faint cereal grain scent.

MOUTH FEEL - Like something a grandpa would drink. Fizzy, crisp and unsophisticated. Straight to the point and thirst-quenching.

TASTE - A slightly bitter start and smooth finish. Surprisingly approachable despite the heavy carbonation and cheap production.

OVERALL -

I consider PBR to be the quintessential "Barbeque Beer". This is my quantity beer of choice during camping trips or cookouts. I can pick up twelve packs of bottles for around $6, so the price is definitely right. Oddly enough, Saint Louis hipsters pound this stuff like it's going out of style. Maybe they know something I don't? Overall, if you are looking for a cheap beer and want to steer clear of the typical swamp water that Anheuser Busch produces for a similar price, I recommend PBR.

3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

I received this beer for $2 @ the Tower Pub in Saint Louis, MO (Otherwise, I would never have paid for it!). Poured into a standard Pint Glass and had a "Best By Jun06 11" on the Bottom of the Can.

Appearance- Head was wild with 5 fingers but then dissipated quickly. The head is very foamy and bubbles contributed to this and the heavy amount of carbonation. It is a clear, yellow color as well.

Smell- I can smell what the US Government calls "A Beer". "A Beer" is a beverage made with Water, Grain, Hop, and Yeast. No really though, there wasn't anything to note with this "classic" lager.

Taste- This beer has yeasty taste up front and then a bit of hop to it. I'm wondering if it matters if everyone at my table is making fun of me while I "review" this beer or not?

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, and very crisp. The carbonation flows through the palate and down without behind able to grasp any other attributes or notes.

Drinkability- While Team Seagal (cycling) hands out free PBR's at St. Louis MTB races, I can never take this beer seriously. They even use it to hose down oncoming cyclists and try to make people eat shit out there! I don't mind drinking this lager, can see how it has won some awards, but will never know how this old style beer was at one time so popular... Will have to get someone to persuade me otherwise.

355ml can poured into pint glass mar27 2011

A clear straw yellow with decent carbonation feeding a short lived finger of lace that leaves no lace

S sweet corny malt and not much else

T mimics the smell, not much going on but at least its not offensive

M slightly slick fairly thin and far from flat

O just you average brew, not much going on but easy enough to drink

a dirt cheap single what more can I say

3.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Best by May 23, 2011.

Straw gold pour with a small head of foam, initial lacing is okay.

Corny and grainy smell, some sweet notes but not much in the way of bitterness.

Corn is in the flavour with grain, mild sweetness, milder bitterness. Nothing offensive and surely quaffable. This is the first time I've had PBR in bottles in years. I think I prefer it in cans..

3.6/5  rDev +22.4%

24 oz can. Freshness date on bottom of can.

Pours perhaps the litest gold of all. Smell is a silo of modest grains. Taste is light and bready, morphing into a somewhat bitter, shockingly decent, hoppy finish. Feel is lite and toasty, clean and grainy. Cuts itself above many of the other adjuncts..

2.15/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Hailed by many college kids as "the best cheap beer." Cheap indeed. I will say that i have never had it out of anything but a can. Go to a frat on a friday and you'll probably find empty or half empty cans of it in a bathroom. I'm new at this so bear with me.

A: Don't know but probably looks similar to pee.

S: Smells malty, almost chewy and thin at the same time, but puts a bit of sick taste in your mouth.

T: Quite malty and mirrors the smell in the chewy and thin at the same time. However, the thin is for sure the dominant feeling. It's better than bud, but that still isn't quite positive.

M: Carb is very much present. not much else...

O: If you're looking to get drunk, or are already drunk, you won't care. Otherwise, you have to have been drinking this for years (or be a hipster) to seriously enjoy this.

2.28/5  rDev -22.4%

A- Pours a light yellow straw color with a large white foaming head. Not hat impressive.

S- Grainy with some strong bitterness.

T- Taste is pretty plain, overly watery, and there is a metallic/oily taste at the end. Yuck.

M- Not overly carbonated so this beer scores high here. The fact it is watered down helps the feel in the mouth.

D- Pretty drinkable even though it's a light beer. I can see why this beer is so cheap in large quantities. I wouldn't have more than 1 and that was because when I tried this I just wanted to see what it tasted like, not because I was going to order it all night.

3.08/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours out a clear golden color into a pint glass. A finger of head that quickly dissolves.

Smell is skunky wheat and grain, hint of alcohol.

Taste is slight vegetable hop bite up front. OMG hops in an adjunct lager, interesting. Finishes with a bit of a metallic grain flavor not overly offensive.

Mouthfeel is thin, carbonation is pretty high.

Reasonably drinkable, yeah I could have a few of these, not great flavor, but oh well.

3.33/5  rDev +13.3%

Can poured in my Bruery tulip, just 'cuz. Pours a startling pale yellow with sizable white head. Smells like college parties, drinking games, dorms, mistakes, awesomeness...I cannot disentangle specific odors from memories. I'll say it smells pretty good, given that. Smooth, classic flavor. My second favorite AAL in flavor behind Premium (not that I'm an expert). Hard to describe. I'm not going to go overboard because it is not a revelation, but it tastes correct, whatever that means. Mouthfeel is super thin with crazy heavy carbonation. A bit much... In spite of this, it is very drinkable. I had this after a few craft beers and I wasn't sad.

4.03/5  rDev +37.1%

Red blooded American beer available at most establishments for a great price. Does not disappoint if I am not in the mood for a draft Chimay at the Stumbling Monk in Seattle. I have a warm place in my heart for union brewed Milwaukee beer that is refreshing, tasty, and reasonably priced. It shouldn't be reviewed in comparison with the many incredible micro-brews that our country produces. It deserves to be compared with the macro-brews that most Americans still purchase. It is vastly better than most with Miller High Life being the only near equal. Considering the present state of our economy, it is one of the best beers for the money if you enjoy drinking frequently. For that reason alone, it deserves respect.

Pours out of a can to an incredibly pale yellowish colour. Plenty of carbonation, nothing mentionable in regards to head nor taste.

Tastes like slightly flavoured, mildly alcoholic water.

Essentially it's an ever so slightly better version of Bud/coors.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company