Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev +21.8%

A: Crystal Clear Golden Straw with frothy white head. excellent lacing.

S: Pilsner Malt, Lager Yeast, feint fruity hop aroma, corn.

T: slightly sweet malty pilsner flavor, sharp corn bite, no hop flavor. after taste is of fresh barley malt, good stuff.

MF: high carbonation, moderate-light body. dry finish

D: this is a great session after work american lager. The best American Light Lager IMO.

2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

I bought a 12 pack for New Years and nobody drank a single one. Now I'm stuck with them. Go figure.

Yesterday I poured my peeber into a glass. I was about to do the same just now and figured why bother.

Pretty much the same as any other mass market lager. Straight up corn water.

It's not awful. Just uninspired and mostly flavorless.

Had this in a chilled can.

A: From the looks of it, appeared to be a light gold color with some visible air bubbles. Barely had any head.

S: Light, wheaty with a little malt.

T: No bitterness, light taste. I'm not trying to dog on this beer, but its finish reminds me of a gym sock. I don't quite know how else to describe it.

M: Light, watery... nothing special.

D: If you can get past the odd after-taste, you can definitely put these back (and I've seen it done). There's not much that entices me about it, though, and the aftertaste is enough to keep me from wanting more of these unless I'm already... well, drunk. I will never buy it and bring it home for myself, but if it's a special at a bar somewhere, I might entertain the idea of drinking a can.

3.53/5  rDev +20.1%

Pabst is one of those beers, you can get completely smashed off of it, but you can also enjoy it watching some football, eating pizza, etc. Since I've only poured a PBR into a glass maybe two times I am going to reference the most recent time, which was a few days ago, WHICH was the best pabst I have ever had. I poured it into a standard pint glass, got a little head that didn't last too long, never disappeared 100% though which was nice. The appearance was that of a normal lager accept for the head and lacing, I got the best lacing out of this pbr that I have gotten in at least two months of drinking craft beer. I was BLOWN AWAY. unbelievable to get that from a pabst. The smell wasn't anything special, neither was the taste, the taste was light light hops, light malt sweetness, but nothing bad about it. There really aren't any bad flavors to speak of in this beer, it's not offensive in any way. Personally my favorite cheap beer hands down.

3.85/5  rDev +31%

This is one of those beers i notice people either love it or hate it. i personally love it. It goes great on a hot summer day and while im spending some alone time in my garage. It goes down very smooth and the price cant be beat. PBR always has a home in my fridge.

3.03/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My go to summer cheap beer in the heart of Texas. Nothing special about PBR at all. Just very easy drinking. I guess the best thing about it is the fact it doesn't have any ill aftertastes like bud light, coors light, or the numerous other lighter lagers available. It's actually quite refreshing during a hot summer day....and at under 7 bucks a 12-pack, it's a no-brainer.

3.33/5  rDev +13.3%

Very light yellow with lots of carbonation and a puffy head.

Smells very light. Some light hop zest but mainly dominated by corn/wheat.

Light and crisp. Grassy malt and a slightly sour metallic taste. The hops carry up the back more than anything leaving a very astringent feeling.

Drinks really smooth and quick. Good cheap bar beer.

3.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Very pale yellow color with very little head.

S - Ehh, not terrible.

T - Light malt taste. Nothing to right home about.

M - Light, bubbly

D - This isn't a great beer, but it's certainly not bad either. And it's definitely not as bad as most people think. I could drink this stuff all night long.

4.05/5  rDev +37.8%

A: Straw in color with moderate lacing and little in the way of head. These are all common amongst this style, but the PBR pulls it off a touch better.

S: Nose is well presented, suggesting corn flakes and cream of wheat.

T: Dry, yet, packed with a healthy dose of American Adjunct Lager goodness. The corn, which can quickly become cloying, is used in just the right proportion, giving a delicious cereal wholesomeness.

M: Light, clean, and well carbonated. Perfect for anything from soothing a dry throat, to washing down a plate of wings, and anything in between.

D: This is my stand-by when it comes to cheap beer. As much as I like RIS's and Barleywines, this beer is perfect when I want something light, but don't want to pay for the good (German) stuff.

2.98/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Clear golden color, large frothy white head.

Smells a little yeasty, a little hoppy. Pretty weak, but also inviting.

Tastes like a macro, but a good macro. A little corn, some hops, kinda reminds me of corn chips.

Very thin, but still drinkable. I'd take this over a BMC but not much else.

3.13/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from 24oz can into trusty irish pint glass, Nice fluffy white head and very good lacing down glass.Slight golden hue to the straw color on this elixer.
Aromas of not just adjuncts but some malty breadiness & a touch of grassy hop.
Prolly the most substantial flavors from a "BIG" brewery.I am picking up some biscuity malt, oh my & a hint of some hops that were prolly waved over kettle. The adjuncts are here though.
Hey, the mouth is a little thin and fizzy, But not too bad.
The price is right and it ain't that bad.

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%

One finger head of frothy white foam which stuck around for about 1.5 minutes, leaving a broken but cling lace. Color is a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is muted, corn, wheat, barley. Taste is a little harsh, flavors of corn, and wheat in the forefront, with a sweetness and citrus lingering. Better than water in my mouth, quite a bit of carbonation. Good for a party where you don't have lots of funds to buy better beer.

3.7/5  rDev +25.9%

A crisp refreshing beer. Hops are absent, lacking bitterness. Corn and rice flavors replace the bitterness of hops and make this beer highly drinkable and refreshing. Looks are nothing to speak of: pale yellow, dissipating head. Pleasant cereal-like, smooth aftertaste. Much better than the average beer of a comparable price. My go-to cheap beer.

2.58/5  rDev -12.2%

Light godlen yellow, plenty of head.

Smells plenty bland. Very faint hint of grassy hops, and def some corn in there.

Taste has some corn/malt sweetness up front. Very slight bitterness, and what I can only describe as a mechanical/unnatural flavor.

Mouthfeel is watery and carbonated.

Drinkability is not so good. It's cheap, and it will get you drunk. Speaking of that, this beer was my staple in college. lol

3.55/5  rDev +20.7%

Crystal clear and light yellow in colour, sort of a dull hue considering the clarity. Fizzy white foam dissipated quickly, but left a thin collar and skim of fine bubbles lingering atop the beer. Grainy, sweet aroma, a bit of creamed corn, no discernible hops. Low bitterness with a combination of sweetness and spicy hops throughout. Light bodied, ample carbonation, fairly dry. I have no complaints here - it's easy to drink, not complex, but with more flavour than most of its competitors. Overall, it's a good example of the style.

1.73/5  rDev -41.2%

One of the best looking bottle labels in the history of beer. Ok now onto the review of what's inside. I don't care for PBR at all. I love several American Adjunct Lagers but this one just has a bad taste and overall flavor to me. I can't even describe it...its just off the mark in taste and drinkability. One of only a handful of American Adjuncts that I had to force to finish. I'll stick to my tried and true easy drinkers and leave the PBR's for the trailer trash and phony hipster crowd.

3.53/5  rDev +20.1%

A light gold appearance with a bit of foam that fizzles away quite quickly. The smell is that of a generic lagar -- there's a bit of a corn smell to it, but it's not overpowering. The taste is a bit like -- with a hint of the corn/straw taste that can come with some cheaper beers -- but it's far from annoying, especially when served ice cold. It has a high drinkability due in part to its light flavour and body, but it's certainly not unpleasant. I used to mock Pabst's a great deal, but for the price it's solid beer, especially in comparison to some of its "peers" (e.g., Miller and Miller Light, Bud, etc.).

3.5/5  rDev +19%

This beer pours a pale yellow color with a white head. The aroma smells of corn and a faint hint of hops. The taste of this beer is light. There is a faint sweetness that comes through at the finish. The mouthfeel is light and overall this beer is very drinkable.

A I have no idea never seen it out side the can

S like cheap a** beer

T reminds me of the river on a hot summers day 110 F in
Socal at the river when I was just ** years old before I
knew what real beer tasted like but still when at the
river it has to be Pabst. I think every American will
stand with me behind this and most likely has the same
memories of this legendary crappy cheap beer!

M this is a a drink all day all night for days straight
beer ( at the river)

D please see mouth feel for description

side note: I know a guy who inherited a stand up bass for
a rockabilly band had a hole in the side of it and glues a
cut Pabst blue ribbon can to fill the hole kick ARSE MAN!
However I wont not even think about drinking this beer if
it was not a comfort food form memories long ago.

Serving type: can

2.38/5  rDev -19%

A - bright yellow, big head that disappears quickly.

S - too much corn not enough barley and almost zero hops.

T - Very weak watered down lager taste, big corn and grain taste, rather sweet, typical of BMC style beers.

M - If I wanted to pound a 6 pack or case, this would be decent choice, low carbonation, basically flavored corn water.

D - I would NEVER buy this again, there are way too many good lighter craft beers to bother with this college beer.

3.4/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Yellow, like darkish urine. Zero Head, lots of fizz coming form the bottom of the glass.

S - Clean, corn/grain... Some sweetness to the nose

T - Same as it smells, I wasn't expecting it to taste this good.

M - Again the fizz, but fits the style, went down pretty easy though.

D - I could drink this as a session beer if only BMC was on tap. I didn't walk into this beer thinking I could finish a pint of it... I was wrong.

Pours a slightly bright golden straw color, thin cap of bubbly white head, a little bit of lacing. Scent is light, pale malts, hints of grain and only a minor touch of vegtable. Taste is slightly more aggressive than other adjuncts, but still light and paluges with a hint of vegtable at the end. Hops are noted in taste which is rare again for adjuncts. Lighter side of medium bodied, carbonation in check for the style but still above where it should be. A beer thats completly average all around, and my rating should reflect that accoardingly. Some positive qualities for the style, but still some off notes.

3.08/5  rDev +4.8%

I must admit, I pay a lot of attention to they way beer is packaged and I have got to say, I do love the PBR look. Classic.

BBD is clearly stamped on the bottom of the can: January 31, 2011.

Pours a remarkably light colored body. Apple juice is darker than this. The creamy head is so white, its as if someone bleached it. A swath of very fine bubbles are flying up from the bottom of my glass.

As one might expect, the aroma is very faint. Vaguely grainy "malt" notes, perhaps some corn. I seem to notice a green apple character, possibly Acetaldehyde.

The flavor is appropriately mild with just the slightest malt flavor, corn, grass, and apples. Carbonation presents itself as more of a flavor than anything else.

Crisp, light, smooth. The kind of beer that seems to be designed for high school and collegiate drinking games.

Not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. I drank a few out of the can first, then nervously poured one into a glass to review. I was surprised by how well it showed out of the glass. Rather than exposing more flaws, it actually tasted better this way.

I will never understand the hipster fascination with PBR. It seems like these guys are quick to put down Miller and Coors, but will defend PBR as some sort of rebellious little guy. Never mind that they are all brewed and owned by the same multinational beer conglomerate. Whatever, too each his own.

I'm glad I revisited PBR, its really not that bad for the money. I want to say I still prefer Schlitz, but perhaps that's just some sort of anti-PBR bias on my part. Maybe its time for a head to head showdown...

4.13/5  rDev +40.5%

12oz can, best by Jan 2011, into a Duvel tulip. Why not?

A: Crystal clear straw-colored body with an inch of coarse white head. Average retention and some spotty lace. Pretty good for the style.

S: It's actually got quite a clean, pleasant intensity in its straightforward corny/malty graininess. The sweetness of malts and adjuncts is balanced by some grassy hops.

T: Follows the nose precisely, with a nice balance of sweetness and bitterness, followed up by a vaguely toasty, vanilla finish; I've never bothered to analyze the flavors of PBR, but now that I am, I'm impressed at how well it pulls off the cleanness and inoffensiveness of a classic fizzy yellow beer. Rating purely to style, this is almost perfect.

M: Medium-bodied and highly carbonated, with very sharp, tongue-pricking effervescence. Lively, but a little irritating with its harshness.

D: Well-balanced, but actually too flavorful to be as drinkable as some examples of the style.

Notes: I don't know how many PBRs I had during college, but this is the first time I swirled and sniffed it out of a tulip (much to my wife's bemusement). Much to my surprise, the intensification of flavor actually didn't intensify my disgust (as it had for every other AAL I've reviewed). PBR is the real deal, and just became my official favorite cheap beer. If only hipsters didn't think it were cool...

Cheers!

2.88/5  rDev -2%

Wow. This could be used as a standard against which to judge the microbrews and more authentically brewed beers available these days. Crisp, refreshing pounder...almost tasteless.

Light pale yellow, thin to no head, with lots of carbonated bubbling.

Presence of crisp hops to the smell, but nothing special, no citrus, no green bitterness.

Tasted refreshing, with no excess of flavors, just crisp hops and carbonation but watered down with graininess. Something to clear your palate with. No malt at all; no sweetness, no aftertaste either.

Drinkable, like lightly flavored soda water...to be pounded, not savored. Still, I like the lack of overt flavoring and this is a thirst quencher.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company