Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Auroraboy

3.95/5  rDev +34.4%

Extremely affordable, drinkable classic American beer. I love the packaging, the old-school feel of it. It's like smoking Prince Albert in a corncob (which I do). Aside from the Bud/Miller/Coors triumverate, this is I think the best of the "cheap" section. Does have a slightly "fluffy,"creamy mouthfeel, as has been mentioned, and relatively light carbonation, which is a plus to me. Does NOT have the creeping nasty aftertaste that Bud and Coors tend to have. Taken altogether, I really like this stuff, and hope it never goes away.

07-05-2008 23:24:58 | More by Auroraboy
ommegoose

3.15/5  rDev +7.1%

Tallboy can from 7-11 for $1.89.

My pour foamed up surprisingly hard on me and left a few inches of head. It lasted maybe a minute or so, but left sticky lacing. Color is standard lager fare. Only a few carbonation streams.

Smell is nice in that it has no off notes. In fact, it's rather nice. Flowery and sweet. Not metallic.

This is a pretty sweet lager, with very soft grainy flavors. Mild leafy bitterness at the end. The finish is very balanced, but I would like a drier finish. Lack of potency keeps me from bumping this up a grade. No real obvious adjuct notes.

Mouthfeel is fine. Carbonation is maybe lighter than usual, resulting in a beer that's not fizzy, but feels thin. Body is okay. Creamier and fluffier than the typical macro.

Easy drinker. There's nothing about this beer that I can criticize to a strong degree. It does the style well. I do think it sits a bit heavier with me than others, so maybe not the easiest drinker around. I think I'd rather take Labatt Blue or Schlitz if I've got to have a macro. Still pretty decent stuff though.

07-02-2008 06:45:25 | More by ommegoose
BamaBeerBuff

2.95/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Pours a golden yellow with a surprisingly large pillowy-white head that settles slowly to a bubbly film.

S: Funky, yet sweet grains. Not offensive, but definitely unpleasant.

T&M: Actually pretty good for a "macro" lager. The main positive is that the funky adjunct flavors aren't offensive like in most other beers of this style. There's still a dearth of any discernible flavor beyond the grain malt, however. Body is light, with a less harsh carbonation than others in the style.

D: PBR is a highly drinkable macro lager--it's flavors aren't offensive and it's rather refreshing. The only reason I gave it a formal review is that it's relatively hard to find in Alabama.

06-29-2008 01:24:01 | More by BamaBeerBuff
shabbtastic

3.88/5  rDev +32%

I kinda stopped posting my reviews since I hit the 100 mark; I mostly keep them in my little notebook at home. But I figured I start putting them up because of my experience with PBR. For what it's worth and the style it is in, this is one excellent beverage!

A - Poured a straw yellow with a nice frothy head. The head fizzed pretty quick and the was no lacing to speak of.

S - Malty biscuit followed by a corn husks. Pretty average for the style.

T - Very crisp and very clean. As my palate adjusted the hops were nicely hinted in the back of a toasted grain finish.

M - Fresh and light. First couple of sips took some adjusting but after that it was very smooth and refreshing.

D - I was in my sunroom on a hot summer night (72 degrees) and boy did this 16oz pour go down nice. I was afraid to let it get warm, but for these instances, that's not a hard task. Overall I recommend this as a good cheap summer session!

06-27-2008 12:31:20 | More by shabbtastic
haningj2

South Carolina

3.4/5  rDev +15.6%

Ah, yes. PBR. The God of all cheap beers. The only way to drink one is via can...even the bottles just don't seem to do the trick.

Pours typical clear/lager color. Feels very light and not overbearing. Easily drinkable and for what it is, has a nice clean, crisp flavor.

Perfect for tailgating, large get-togethers, or having a nice beer after a long day of yard work. Whatever the occassion, PBR doesn't fail to deliver the basic incentives of beer drinking.

06-25-2008 15:25:31 | More by haningj2
MrHungryMonkey

3.5/5  rDev +19%

Nose:
Light sweet-smelling malt, toasty dry, sour edge / light hop notion.

Look:
Pours a fairly pale yellow, good clarity, moderately sized bubbly/fizzy head with minimal retention.

Flavor:
Dry, grainy, toasty malt-like attack followed by a tart, mildly astringent bitterness. Some mildly cooked veggie flavors are slightly overpowered by a soft sweetness. Mild bitterness comes in for the finish and is somewhat hop-like.

Feel:
Snappy soda pop carbonation on a fairly thin body.

The Verdict:
A magnificent diet beer with an oldschool attitude. It's way above my drinkable threshold (when adequately cooled), but earnestly tasty. I could pop back 2 or 3 in the bat of an eye and think little of it. I like it.

06-23-2008 01:14:16 | More by MrHungryMonkey
corey0212

Connecticut

3.7/5  rDev +25.9%

Pours a clear, golden/yellowy color, slightly darker towards the edges, with a foamy white head which doesn't last too long and leaves some thin lacing behind. It's got that grainy/generic beery smell, but there's a bit of something else going on...maybe a touch of lemon. Nice, crisp taste, a little hop bitterness detected, grainy, sweet aftertaste. It's got a good mouthfeel, not too watery at all. A real easy drinker, especially in the warmer weather. I also got this out of my grandfather's beer/cigar fridge, which makes the whole thing that much more enjoyable!

06-22-2008 20:26:15 | More by corey0212
RedneckChemist

Tennessee

3.7/5  rDev +25.9%

What is there to say about PBR? According to style, it is among the best Am. macros out there.

The appearance is pale, the smell is of sweet corn and perhaps a hop or two, but the taste is classic. I didn't drink PBR for years, but since I tried it for the first time, it has become my regular. I love a good micro-brew, but PBR has a permanent spot in my fridge. Whether cooking out or just finished mowing the yard, PBR is a welcome sight.

06-21-2008 01:08:58 | More by RedneckChemist
whiplash3825

Georgia

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%

I'll preface this review by saying that I haven't had an American macro lager in years, and in 25+ years of drinking I've never tried a PBR. But I saw on this forum that it's arguably the best of the macros, so I thought I'd give it a try, and at the very least it might give me more appreciation for the quality brews I usually drink.

Pours an extremely pale clear amber with a big head and very active carbonation that quickly subsides to a tiny cap. No lacing to speak of.

Very little in the nose... light graininess with maybe a touch of sweet malt. I'm not detecting a bit of hops.

Okay... I guess when others are talking about it's "clean" taste, that means there really isn't much taste. Really if I didn't know what I was drinking I might think this is soda water. Slightly sweet, almost no bitterness, slightly metallic (can?) with a dry finish.

Medium mouthfeel that seems better than most other macros I've tried... not quite as thin and with a lot of carbonation that seems to last a while.

Easy to drink, but so is water. I guess with macro lagers, the less taste you get is best... if my memory serves me right Bud and Miller have some VERY FOUL flavors in there, which this beer doesn't. Nothing offensive to slow you down, and I can see where folks going after a cheap buzz might like it. Especially those who don't like the taste of beer. Me... I'll stick with something with a lot more flavor.

06-20-2008 23:43:12 | More by whiplash3825
morayeel

4.58/5  rDev +55.8%

what can be said best abot this beer its the "KING" of Macro Beers.

What can I say this is a nice hot day summer beer. PBR was a shocker to me when I first tasted the smoth clean taste. Mush betther then a high life or a budweiser.

A- golden yellow with a thin head

S- Not much smell just a little hint of hops

T- Taste is smooth no bitterness with a just a hint of hops at the end.

M- crisp a clean

D- This is an all day football drinking beer or a good party beer.

I have on a PABST kick no for several weeks and its hard to get off of it. I must say for having more the 50 different selection to choose from I go for a PABST first.

06-18-2008 23:17:28 | More by morayeel
Getinthevan

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

What can be said about PBR that already hasn't been said? It's cheap, it's pale, and a good bang for your buck.

Appearance is minimal at best, with a slightly small head. Not bad for a cheap lager. Smell is what you'd expect from a lager such as this, very high in corn but not overpowering at all.

The taste is great, even for a cheapie. You could have a blindfold on and still can tell the taste of PBR from it's natural watery texture up until the nice bitter finish as it resonates down the throat.

Mouthfeel is okay, not great. It does have a decent aftertaste.

Drinkability is pretty spot on and for $7.99 a 12-pack PBR is really a great deal if you're in the mood to pound a few down with steak and potatoes.

06-13-2008 05:09:47 | More by Getinthevan
dstc

3.73/5  rDev +26.9%

Pours a bright, clear pale golden color with a big pure white head that falls fast with little lace behind.

Smells like a US lager. Grains, clean & slightly metallic.

Taste is good, clean. Slightly sweet, of grains and corn.

Thin yet smooth on the tongue. Clean, crisp and highly carbonated.

My go to beer (since Schlitz came and went again) for when you just need a beer. Something light and refreshing.

06-11-2008 18:12:35 | More by dstc

3.43/5  rDev +16.7%

Pabst Blue Ribbon is one of my favorite cheap beers. It looks like beer, smells like beer, and tastes like beer.

A-It poured a nice dark golden color. The head didnt last long, but did leave some lacing behind.

S-Smells like beer. Malty, with a hint of a hop in the smell.

T-The taste is very good for a cheap beer. Malty, a little sweet, and a little bit of hops. It all balances nicely to make for a very tasty brew.

M-Good. A little thinner than my favorites but it isnt bad.

D-Really good. If I had the time I could down the entire 12 pack right now.

I drink PBR often, but didnt think to review it til now. This is one of my go-to brews when I can find it!

06-08-2008 14:14:38 | More by 1099
65dos

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

PBR is a very inexpensive beer. Yet for the price, it is the best of its class. A cheap drinkable beer. The lightness of a PBR is its downfall. They tend to go down like water for the first few. There is the tiniest hint of hops that linger around after a swallow. The texture left in the mouth is very dry. With no flavor too strong, PBR is a nicely balanced average beer. Its a wonderful drink for someone not looking to spend too much money on a night of drinking.

06-08-2008 00:11:52 | More by 65dos
charlzm

2.68/5  rDev -8.8%

Consumed 05/30/08.

I decided to start out my vertical tasting of three Unibroue "year" beers and three J.W. Lees Harvest Ales with this as an apertif. It was supposed to be funny.

Anyway...

Intensely light clear yellow. Lots of active carbonation with a one finger white foam head.

Aroma is typical macro lager: light, sweet smell with vague grain origins. Some floral hoppiness as well.

Flavor is somewhat sweet. Some corn, some malt. No hop flavors or bitterness. I have had exactly one prior encounter with this brew about a year ago, and recall it being a little hoppier. Maybe that was a fresher example.

Unlike a typical lager, this one actually improved in taste just a hair as it warmed up a few degrees.

Think I'll pass on this one in the future unless it's on draft and it's the best choice at the place I find myself (it's happened before...)

06-02-2008 04:30:07 | More by charlzm
Rocklandbagpiper

3.45/5  rDev +17.3%

This is a highly under rated beer who has set itself apart from Budweiser. This is getting back to the beer our fathers generation was drinking. Not as good as the micros, but as for a mass produced nationwide seller, not a bad beer for the price and something to knock back after the yard work.

06-01-2008 02:42:49 | More by Rocklandbagpiper
Slynger

2.98/5  rDev +1.4%

Clear, light, yellowy gold, with a fairly creamy lid of froth. Light smells of fruit, pale, and toasted grains. Light-medium body with a lightly creamy-fuzzy carb. Flavors of light, light, light fruitiness with light pale and toasted grains and some light earthy spicy hops. It will get the job done and it has some flavor to it.

06-01-2008 02:36:35 | More by Slynger
Antilochus

Ontario (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev +7.1%

On-tap at the Alex P. Keaton in London, Ontario. Pitcher for $10 (great for Ontario...). Yellow, clear. No head. Ew. Terrifying. Nose is spice and bread. Noble hop fest. Palate isn't half bad. Well balanced between sweetness and spice. Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy but all in all rather inoffensive macro.

05-30-2008 20:41:08 | More by Antilochus
Proteus93

3.43/5  rDev +16.7%

When it comes to the 'general umbrella of macros,' I've had a fair share of the standard Big 3 offerings + Canadian equivelants. However, before just last night, never a good ol' fashioned PBR. Maybe the bargain price scared me into believing that the contents were going to be dreadful, but I ended up getting one to ease my palate. I was pleasantly surprised:

A: Straw yellow... not as pale as many of the others of the style at all. A thin head, leaving a little ring of lace around the edges.

S: A touch of a citrus on the nose, very light grains, and a little bit of a corn aroma.

T/M/D: Light grains, with a bit of a sweet edge. Some corn husk, a little splash of citrus on the finish. Light, refreshing, and quite a clean flavour. Body is fairly typical for the style... lighter, and easy going. A nice summer brew. Shame I've ignored this for so long... while I drop into the summertime 'lighter beer' phase, I think this will be a good, simple standby to have in the fridge.

05-29-2008 15:19:46 | More by Proteus93
crookedhalo

2.8/5  rDev -4.8%

My first, honest to God, swill review. Rather pointless to be pouring it in my Duvel glass, but I digress.

Pours up a pale gold straw pilsner color with a decent-sized pure white head. Some aromas of pale malt with a tinge of huskiness. Subdued hops make a short-lived cameo in the aroma, as well. Somewhat decent flavor, a touch of grainy sweetness with a light bitterness rounding it out near the finish. Rather watery all-around, but expected. Not particularly big on mouthfeel, but on-target for the style, carbonation seems just about right. I could see how my father liked to keep this beer in the "extra" fridge in the basement. A nice, simple beer for chasing away the accumulated stress of the workday.

05-28-2008 23:17:18 | More by crookedhalo
nasty15108

3.45/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pilsner glass.

A - Straw colored with a head of white foam.

S - Nothing to overpowering here. Slightly malty whit hint of grain/grass.

T - Light maltiness with a clean dry finish.

MF&D - Light, crisp and easy to drink. Not a craft beer by far, but than again nobody ever said it was. A good summer pounder, just watch out for the headache it tends to provide you with. One of the better macros out there.

05-28-2008 21:12:08 | More by nasty15108
Bockrules

New Mexico

Served From a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A- Pours a small, third inch head that dissipates quickly. Very light and transparent gold. Leaves a bit of lacing down the glass.

S - Smell of grain and hops hits the nose. Certainly, not as impressive as a good micro, but much better than a lot of the macros out there. Seems quite inviting.

T- Pretty solid. Has a good balance of grain and hops in the body and finishes pretty dry. Leaves a little bit of oily residue on the back of the tongue.

M - Very well carbonated, but also surprisingly full unlike many other macros.

D - This is my favorite macro and is a very versatile beer. You can serve it very cold to quench your thirst when working in the yard or on cars. OR it can be served slightly warmer and more hop and grain tastes comes through. This is a great beer when you just feel like having something simple and tasty.

05-27-2008 05:11:40 | More by Bockrules
cvstrickland

3.63/5  rDev +23.5%

12 oz can poured into a weizen glass yields a light, bright golden clear body, 3+ fingers of creamy head that retains at a sheet and leaves patchy lacing.

Smells lightly malty with a touch of hops.

Smooth and crisp with a nice sweet grainy character, tangy sweet corn, and a touch of bitter citrus hops.Dry finish.

Plenty of carbonation but not overpowering. Nothing astounding, but not bad at all.

05-25-2008 18:32:58 | More by cvstrickland
righlander

A - I dunno i'm drinking it out of a can!
S - Weird
T - Weird, but more flavor than most for the style. i dunno if the flavor is good but, there's more of it.
M - Bout right for the style, big bubbles
D - Good!

-ummm... it's drinkable but it has a weird taste. but goes down fast. Seems to taste better REALLY cold, like almost freezing

05-24-2008 04:53:19 | More by righlander
PBBC

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

Had this today on the Frisby-Golf course at the local park... braced myself for a cheap beer taste...

Not bad at all. Light, grainy, with a tinge of sweetness.

I finished the can pretty quickly, and couldn't find any offensive tastes... certainly not ALOT of taste, but PBR is a great example of a consistent light beer.

Would buy this again, especially for the price ($10 for a case)

05-20-2008 21:32:30 | More by PBBC