Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
3.39/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Yellow, like darkish urine. Zero Head, lots of fizz coming form the bottom of the glass.

S - Clean, corn/grain... Some sweetness to the nose

T - Same as it smells, I wasn't expecting it to taste this good.

M - Again the fizz, but fits the style, went down pretty easy though.

D - I could drink this as a session beer if only BMC was on tap. I didn't walk into this beer thinking I could finish a pint of it... I was wrong.

Pours a slightly bright golden straw color, thin cap of bubbly white head, a little bit of lacing. Scent is light, pale malts, hints of grain and only a minor touch of vegtable. Taste is slightly more aggressive than other adjuncts, but still light and paluges with a hint of vegtable at the end. Hops are noted in taste which is rare again for adjuncts. Lighter side of medium bodied, carbonation in check for the style but still above where it should be. A beer thats completly average all around, and my rating should reflect that accoardingly. Some positive qualities for the style, but still some off notes.

3.08/5  rDev +5.1%

I must admit, I pay a lot of attention to they way beer is packaged and I have got to say, I do love the PBR look. Classic.

BBD is clearly stamped on the bottom of the can: January 31, 2011.

Pours a remarkably light colored body. Apple juice is darker than this. The creamy head is so white, its as if someone bleached it. A swath of very fine bubbles are flying up from the bottom of my glass.

As one might expect, the aroma is very faint. Vaguely grainy "malt" notes, perhaps some corn. I seem to notice a green apple character, possibly Acetaldehyde.

The flavor is appropriately mild with just the slightest malt flavor, corn, grass, and apples. Carbonation presents itself as more of a flavor than anything else.

Crisp, light, smooth. The kind of beer that seems to be designed for high school and collegiate drinking games.

Not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. I drank a few out of the can first, then nervously poured one into a glass to review. I was surprised by how well it showed out of the glass. Rather than exposing more flaws, it actually tasted better this way.

I will never understand the hipster fascination with PBR. It seems like these guys are quick to put down Miller and Coors, but will defend PBR as some sort of rebellious little guy. Never mind that they are all brewed and owned by the same multinational beer conglomerate. Whatever, too each his own.

I'm glad I revisited PBR, its really not that bad for the money. I want to say I still prefer Schlitz, but perhaps that's just some sort of anti-PBR bias on my part. Maybe its time for a head to head showdown...

4.1/5  rDev +39.9%

12oz can, best by Jan 2011, into a Duvel tulip. Why not?

A: Crystal clear straw-colored body with an inch of coarse white head. Average retention and some spotty lace. Pretty good for the style.

S: It's actually got quite a clean, pleasant intensity in its straightforward corny/malty graininess. The sweetness of malts and adjuncts is balanced by some grassy hops.

T: Follows the nose precisely, with a nice balance of sweetness and bitterness, followed up by a vaguely toasty, vanilla finish; I've never bothered to analyze the flavors of PBR, but now that I am, I'm impressed at how well it pulls off the cleanness and inoffensiveness of a classic fizzy yellow beer. Rating purely to style, this is almost perfect.

M: Medium-bodied and highly carbonated, with very sharp, tongue-pricking effervescence. Lively, but a little irritating with its harshness.

D: Well-balanced, but actually too flavorful to be as drinkable as some examples of the style.

Notes: I don't know how many PBRs I had during college, but this is the first time I swirled and sniffed it out of a tulip (much to my wife's bemusement). Much to my surprise, the intensification of flavor actually didn't intensify my disgust (as it had for every other AAL I've reviewed). PBR is the real deal, and just became my official favorite cheap beer. If only hipsters didn't think it were cool...

Cheers!

2.85/5  rDev -2.7%

Wow. This could be used as a standard against which to judge the microbrews and more authentically brewed beers available these days. Crisp, refreshing pounder...almost tasteless.

Light pale yellow, thin to no head, with lots of carbonated bubbling.

Presence of crisp hops to the smell, but nothing special, no citrus, no green bitterness.

Tasted refreshing, with no excess of flavors, just crisp hops and carbonation but watered down with graininess. Something to clear your palate with. No malt at all; no sweetness, no aftertaste either.

Drinkable, like lightly flavored soda water...to be pounded, not savored. Still, I like the lack of overt flavoring and this is a thirst quencher.

3.3/5  rDev +12.6%

PBR... kind of an American classic.

Well, honestly, this beer is better than I expected. Poured from a 16oz can with a virtually non-existant head and transparent golden color. Smells of faint corn and barley with a very slight spiciness of hops. Nothing overwhelming. Taste: slight dryness and later, a bit of a hop pinch. Overall, not a bad or great beer. Definately beats the big 3...no question. A surprisingly adequate beer, nothing fancy, but is fun to have once in a while.

3.17/5  rDev +8.2%

Yup, every now and then I'll buy PBR when I just want something simple and easy drinking.
Pours a really foamy pale yellow color. No real lacing, but lots of head initially. Not as bubbly as the Bud family, though.
The nose is pretty mild. Mild sweet/sour Sunbeam bread.
The flavor carries the same white bread notes along with some hints of corn and yes...even just a hint of hops. I'm pretty sure there are some Columbus hops in there, but they're very mild (obviously).
Drinking a ton of this is pretty easy to do and it'll work with pub food and snacks of all kinds. While it looks pretty foamy initially, the carbonation isn't too strong and leaves a pretty smooth texture.
Obviously this won't replace a truly good beer, but it really is pretty close to the top of its chosen style.
Not a bad beer to keep around and it can work pretty well as a palate cleanser or just something to wash down a cheeseburger.

2.93/5  rDev 0%

It's "aight"
Best to drink at a party when drinking mostly out of compulsiveness and out of the can.
I often buy a 6 pack of pints thinking I've found a cheap way to drink. I always forget that I have trouble drinking more than one with serious attention. PBR bores me.

2.74/5  rDev -6.5%

Well, after the thread a few days ago about "why PBR has become cool", I figured that since I had the time and lack of anything better to do, I would give one another whirl. I had to buy a warm sixer of SNPA, so I needed a lubricant of sorts that was already cold before the Ale cooled off a little. You see, I was away from home and bored as all hell in the billeting room I was in. This is the story:

A - Didn't have a glass nor the will to separate this from it's metallic delivery vessel. I have seen it in a glass before, and I can assure you that it is bold golden yellow with a thick foamy head if poured with any aggression at all

S - Syrupy malty thickness amongst the corn wallop that ensues. Sweet as well. When I was like 10, I toured the actual Pabst brewery in Milwaukee. This smelled just like the brewery. Kinda neat. Kinda sad.

T - Much like the smell of this brew, it tasted sweet and demanded far more attention than its American Adjunct contemporaries. At least with this one, they make an effort to give it a more balanced taste.

M - Highly carbonated and a little thick and fuzzy on the tongue.

You could do a hell lot worse when it comes to a BMC or adjunct at all. Even though this is review was for the can (that's right, the BIG can. Yes sir!) I have had this on tap as well, and it is far more refreshing than anything with Bud, Miller or Coors on it (yes, I know, Miller Coors make it. It's still better). It fails in comparison to most any craft beer of quality, but probably better than any other macro out there IMO.

4.4/5  rDev +50.2%

I'll admit that Pabst Blue Ribbon is one of my favorite beers of all time.

Honestly, it's hit or miss. Sometimes I get a beer can that is skunky and then the next one will be fine. I encounter this every once and a while however its not an every beer occurance.

Appearance: The beer pours a light straw pale yellow color and the lacing lasts for only tantamount of seconds.

Smell: Pabst usually smells pleasant. Like I said sometimes it's hit or miss. Smells of light corn fruitiness with a tad of hops and very light alcohol.

Taste: Once again, can some times be hit or miss. I really enjoy the flavor myself, personally. Very fruity with a nice carbonation and bit of bite.

Mouthfeel: Light on the palette, easy to swallow, and very, very refreshing.

Drinkability: I could do an entire case in one sitting without feeling too full or losing interest in the beer itself.

PBR is my go to beer. Cheap, delicious...most of the time and very easy to find.

3.45/5  rDev +17.7%

Oh, what to be said about PBR. I'm of the age where it's a rather popular drink, it seems to be the philly hipster beer of choice, in my short life on living in the city I've watched in double in price and have remained baffled.

Now though, I think I understand. PBR doesn't taste awful, atleast as long as I'm not paying 6 dollars for 22oz of it at a bar. It's also much better then you're Natural Ice and Busch.

The Main flavour I've noticed in PBR is water, thats always the first thing that hits my pallet, water, then some slight grain flavor that mixes with the alchohal.

The appeal to PBR is that it isn't the University Beer bong beer, so cheers to you PBR for being the beer of an Overpaying Counter Culture.

Photo of
2.83/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours very light yellow with little head retention and no aroma. Very light mouthfeel. Drinkability is good. I don't like light American Lager, but I can enjoy a PBR. It has little flavor, but the flavor it has is good. I've had people try to tell me before that it's an image thing. Bull crap. PBR tastes better than the other big American lagers.

3.72/5  rDev +27%

Can poured into pint glass

Appearance: Very clear yellow with head that dissipates into non-existence. Bit of carbonation that finds its way up to the top.

Smell: Candy like scent, little bit of pilsner malt. Not too much there.

Taste: Clear crisp flavor. Not very complex, but not bad. Zing like effect at the end from carbonation and alcohol.

Drinkability: Okay, so I'm not going to give this beer a very high rating on taste because there isn't much flavor there. I didn't give this beer a low score because the flavor that is there isn't too bad. I will say this though: this beer is very drinkable. It's crisp and refreshing which makes it the perfect adjunct lager. Besides it's dirt cheap which makes it a great beer for the price and among the major brewers it is easily the best pilsner.

Being in a bar with nothing exciting on tap and "domestics" cheap, I thought I'd finally review the hipster nectar.

Looks clear and light golden in the shaker pint glass with no head retention or lacing whatsoever. There is some sweetness in the smell but that's about it; very characterless smell. Taste is of lightly sweetened, carbonated water with some malty feel in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is watery, with a medium finish. Drinkability score follows from the other categories.

2.76/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce can to a mug. The can claims that PBR was selected as "America's best in 1893" which was a long time ago. Pours yellow. A frothy full finger head forms atop and disappears within a minute leaving frothy lacing on the mug.

The smell is sweet and fruity up front with some watery graininess attached to the tail end. There's a strange metallic scent hiding in there somewhere as well.

The primary flavor is water. Surprisingly it doesn't give off the adjunct grain taste that I've come to expect from BMC. It's just watery malt. There's no real hop character to speak of. It finishes with just the slightest bitterness, likely from the carbonation.

The mouthfeel isn't bad at all. It's got a great malty feel and an appropriate amount of carbonation to balance it without killing the smoothness.

This can of PBR was pretty inoffensive and if you could get over the lack of flavor, you could session this pretty easily. With a less watered down flavor, this has the potential to be a great session lager. Overall though, I'm pretty thankful that American beer has gotten better than this since 1893.

1.37/5  rDev -53.2%

There is not much to say about this beer except that it is pretty awful. I understand that has a history to it and to some people it is cool to drink. Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood will make any beer drinkable. Honestly this beer is only bearable if you are low on cash. The taste is very similar to a metallic can taste. It is pretty bitter. I would not recommend this beer to any serious beer drinker. Unfortunately I have had my share of PBRs. There really is no smell or taste which could be referable to something attractive. I do not enjoy this beer at all and if I had my way I will never have one again. I suppose this is the beer that got so many people smoking in bars. Cigarettes taste better than this brew.

2.33/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a pale yellow color with a white head that quickly recedes to a ring around the glass. Smells of weak malts and alcohol. Taste is very easy going, balanced between a touch of hops and a touch of malt with a little bit of corn thrown in there. It is pretty refreshing and has a clean finish. Has a thin mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Overall, its a fine party beer, but not something I'll choose to drink for taste.

EDIT: Still not sure why this is the official drink of hipsters...

2.99/5  rDev +2%

Poured from 24 oz. "tall boy" can into a mug. Can has freshness date of Jan. 2011. I took notes on this beer while drinking just as a second measure.

Appearance - Pours that ever familiar golden straw color with a bright white head. The head was about 2 fingers thick had a pretty sudsy/soapy character and dissipated at a regular rate, eventually leaving a thick white film on top of the beer going down the glass. There's also some spotty lacing going down the glass, but it eventually fades.

Smell - Not much to speak of here. It smells like a typical American beer, but much more subdued. For what smell there is, the hints of corn are the most obvious. Later on there's some slightly sweet malt, but overall a pretty generic but mediocre smell. Also a very slightly astringent alcohol smell, but well masked by the corn and malts.

Taste - First thing I noticed was the coarseness of the combination of malts and corn. It's not a bad combo, though; it's fairly refreshing and crisp and would probably go well with pizza or burgers. There's just a hint of hop bitterness as the beer goes down, but it's very watered-down and palatable; I would go so far to say that it's "weak." This brew has all the makings of a standard American lager and displays each of them well, but overall, it's just a very "meh" type of taste. There are no particular developments in taste as the glass continues; goes down nearly the same with every gulp, but I did notice that the bitterness gets slightly more pronounced as the beer warms up and the coarseness is more pronounced, but it finishes fairly clean.

Mouthfeel: Thin, fizzy, watery. Not a bad thing though. The mouthfeel makes the flavors a little more digestible and pleasing. A friend of mine describes this as "beer-flavored water - in a good way" and I think that hits the nail on the head. It finishes dry and clean to compliment the crispness of the beer.

Drinkability: Now I see why some people have this as a last resort beer. You could drink this all night and barely feel anything because of its thinness and fairly inviting flavor. I could have continued with another one but couldn't do it because of the flavor.

Overall, not bad but not fantastic by any means. I would get this if I was in a bind for beer and had no other choice, and it's probably one of the better mass-produced lagers out there; it will always serve as a better option than any BMC brews.

3.27/5  rDev +11.6%

24 oz. All-American can purchased 10/25/2010 in Easthampton, MA.

Appearance- Poured fairly hard. Revealed a light orange/straw body on this american adjunct with a one finger head.

Smell- Husk adjunct detected. Some floral aromas, and some sharp grains.

Taste- Astringent front, mellow back. Taste of corn husk, crisp and clean aftertaste. Doesn't stick around much. I can't be too vividly appealing with the taste description of this. It's an american classic, but it's also an american adjunct style.

Mouthfeel- Medium in body for an adjunct. Fizzy.

Drinkability- Pretty good. Nothing offensive in this brew. Better from a bottle, but good from the can. I'd pick this over the big three anyday. Gets to be quite filling after a few, but it's a good american macro-brew.

2.9/5  rDev -1%

Can't go wrong with PBR for a cheap beer. Pours a light gold color with a fizzy head that quickly fades and leaves little lacing. Smell has some hop notes to it. Taste wise it's quite good for an adjunct lager, some hops, malts and a slight sweetness is in the mix. Doesn't leave a bad after taste and is highly drinkable. A great beer when you're on a budget or when with friends.

2.95/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Clear pale straw color with what eventually becomes a thin line of soapy bubbles on top.

S: Smells OK.... Some sort of sweet grain aroma and a slight skunk hop aroma.

T: Surprised by the taste...not all that bad. It is sweet and has a bite to it, but the taste isn't horrible. Some sort of sweet starchy flavor with a decent enough hop flavor to round it out.

M: pretty smooth. Good carbonation. Finish is virtually invisible....no bad aftertaste. The only part I don't like is that it leaves a gross syrupy sweet film on everything that it touches.

D: Well, the flavor is ok, it is light and not too expensive. Wouldn't seek it out, but definitely can roll with the PBR.

3.26/5  rDev +11.3%

What can I say? I LOVE PBR!

A beer this cheap should not be this tasty. Pretty much better than most anything else out there for the same price.

Doesnt really keep any head, no lacing.

This beer has almost no smell to it, just the lightest touch of grains.

The taste department is where PBR delivers. Nice bit of sweet malt and a teeny tiny bit of hops/alcohol taste breaking through, far more flavorful than its competitors.

Great for a hot summer day or taking the edge off after work. This has always been and may always be my favorite cheap beer.

2.66/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a straw pale yellow with a foamy white head. Aroma was feint, but I could get some watered-down malts. Not much taste, just thin malts and an odd taste I can't really describe. Thin, watery, not too carbonated. I guess it's drinkable since it's mostly like water. The bad taste isn't really apparent seeing how thin it is. I can see why party-goers like it, but if the purpose is to get drunk, just get cheap liquor, it'll do the job faster and in less volume so you don't feel bloated.

2.91/5  rDev -0.7%

Very comparable to most BIG brewers in every way. BUT... I prefer this beer to any big brewer on taste, price, AND quality. Not every beer can be top notch. But when I'm on a budget and want to get a six pack in... this is my go to beer.

Don't get me wrong.. I enjoy a good IPA. But this is, in my opinion, the best of the worst.

Drinkability is excellent. An ice chest full of these is heaven to me with good company.

3.65/5  rDev +24.6%

I've had this lager in a can, bottle, and off of a tap. It pours a pale yellow with a big head that disaptes quickly and leaves some light lacing. The smell is a sweet malt and grain with a slight hint of hops. This lager tastes light and clean. Has a smooth mouthfeel and quick refreshing. This lager beats out any of the big three in taste and it works well for those on a budget.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company