Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +42.9%

Two pint cans poured into a giant frozen crystal stein. 32 ounces of greatness baby. I shall review this as Beer Advocate advises: within the STYLE.

A: Clear gold with a nice, big but thin head. Nice lace left until the bottom of this huge mug. Once the head goes away, I'm left with a sea of floating islands that have me thinking- this beer LOOKS better than I'd think.

S: I mean, how much complexity can we expect here? Who drinks this for the smell? Not pissy at all...Very mild corn and grains, light steel and clean rain. Faint diacetyl in the background somewhere and maybe a touch of caramel malt.

T: The mouthfeel at first is like soda with a slightly sweet tongue. What follows is a light bodied, semi-slick wave of those grains, (corn mostly and cooked veggies) but nothing bitter. Finishes neat and clean and tidy with nothing left behind that offends this master of all things beer. Not as sweet as Miller High Life, not as pale as Rolling Rock. A good in-between.

D: Definitely one of the most drinkable beers I've had. Right now I'm thinkin shit...I shoulda gotten a couple of these four packs...

Value: Here is the kicker for this decent brew. I paid $2.79 for four pints. I think this stuff is an absolute steal for that price. If you're on a budget, I cannot think of a better choice than a twelve pack of good ole PBR.

This stuff has definitely stood the test of time.

3.85/5  rDev +31%

Appearence is a beautiful straw with a slight orange hew. Smell is clean, a little sweet with fresh corn. Taste is very clean. A slight straw and corn flavor. A little sweet at first but the hops give it a clean, crisp finish. The carbonation is almost perfect for this style. Drinkability is great, you can drink this beer all day especially when its hot.

A very refreshing and good American lager. And the fact you can find a tall 6pack for $4 is awesome. A good everday or session beer. A little cleaner in the bottle than in a can, and even cleaner on tap.

3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a can.

Pretty strong taste of corn. Not head really, and its smell is pretty average as well. However, it's extremely drinkable and a hell of a lot better than the other choices like bud or miller. Easily one of the better cheap beers out there.

3.68/5  rDev +25.2%

On first thought I'd lump PBR in with all the mass production (as opposed to craft brews) American style lager beers. A friend likes PBR and so I just had to give it a try.

It's flavor isn't complex, it's not a beer that's exceptional or made me do a double take- I think I'll call it a "commodity beer".. it's one that you pour when you want just "a beer".

It's very typical of the American "commercial" lager style-- I gather it uses adjunct ingredients.

It's a light flavor that's not particularly robust or unique, but curiously it's not disagreeable. This beer does have a bit of it's own character-- as a lager it's not so light that it flirts with the flavor of bottled water. Although if you're expecting something above and beyond the other big American brewers-- ah yes, it's missing the birchwood dowel flavor-- you'll be disappointed.

Looks- produced a nice fluffy but short lived head.

A teensy weensy nose- a bit of hops just squeaking out.

Flavor is very light-- a bit of hops and not really much else... a short clean finish.

Mouthfeel-- very light flavor and effervescence.

Drinkability-- I give it a plus because of the ABV level..

I consider this beer as a warm weather refresher-- served cold
it's so mild that it's actually a nice drink with a hint of "beer" in it.

Now the big question is if I were blind folded could I identify it as PBR and not one of the other big commercial brews?

3.38/5  rDev +15%

Not impressed with the appearance, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and a Coors light. The head looks artificial.
Honestly, I can't smell much of this beer, so not much to describe. Soilid taste, though it tastes more like chemicals than an actual brew. Nothing spectacular about the mouthfeel.

Honestly, for the price, the beer isn't bad. If I'm broke on a particular week I'd have no reservations picking up a 30 pack for cheap.

4.28/5  rDev +45.6%

A - Looked good.

S - Smelled good.

T - Good lager taste. A little on the malty side, but pretty good balance for a macro. Was not disappointed

M - Good Stuff

D - Good beer for the price, and of the macros I've had it's the best. No wonder Clint was kicking so many of these back in Gran Torino.

3.65/5  rDev +24.1%

My "ode to pbr"

Poured two cold cans into my Dortmunder boot. I grew up drinking pounders of this. Still one of my favorites.

Pour - alright, ill admit it, its on the inexpensive side for a reason. Nothing blowing ya away on this beer. But thats what i love about. Pours a nice solid straw yellow with good carbonation, slight and quickly retreating head and little lacing to speak of. Bubbles are tiny and numerous.

Nose - plain and simple malt. No frills, no surprises.

Taste - like it smells. Simple, less-flavorful malts. A fair punch of hops at the start but that soon gives way to the rusty, enduring sweetness. No aftertaste at all. Complexity is at a minimum - if anything I detect notes of apple or pear maybe.

Mouthfeel - smooth, clear, crisp, and (in my opinion) very refreshing. Medium bodied. Carbonation is not too heavy, it could use alittle more I think.

Drinkability - a great beer. Simple yet classy. Goes down smooth and doesnt require a great amount of effort to enjoy.

I stand by this beer. Its a great model for good, old fashioned working class american beer that hasnt sold out, hasnt changed, hasnt deviated from the plan.

2.93/5  rDev -0.3%

A: very light golden color a ton of bubbles streaming up from bottom of the glass some lace and head is sticking around

S: very light smell not much going on a grassy smell with a hint of sweetness

T: its crisp its light sometimes if you drink bud miller or coors they can have an offensive taste to me and this does not have it

M: its real carbonated but doesnt really bug me light body

D: yea you can drink it and its sessionable

overall: this and miller highlife are my fav macro lagers well I do like stella too good beer to drink in the summer goes down easy and doesn't offend. I still wanna try the new Gusto that came out recently too.

3.23/5  rDev +9.9%

I actually grew up drinking PBR. Then moved on. But anyway, I havent had this brew in over 20 years. I thought I would give it a try. Pours a two fingered white head. Head hung around for a little while. Not much lacing going on. Brew itself is a light yellow and very clear. Had a lot of bubbles spewing from the bottom of the glass. Not a lot of smell going on. Just of maybe some grain and grass. Again very light. The taste was very light also, and I mean very light. I dont know how to describe it. Maybe a hair of sweetness. It didnt really taste bad, it actually tasted good. Felt good in the mouth, not to much carbonation. The old PBR would make a good session beer. Easy on the wallet and doesnt fill you up. Sunday afternoon doing lawnmowing and garden work, perfect.

2.85/5  rDev -3.1%

From yestarday's notes.

A-Completely clear gold leaf. White head is thicker than expected and stayed a good two minutes. Bubbles are spread out evenly and rise all over the place. Kind of elegant.

S-I don't like this smell. A classic BMC, Molson, Labatt corn-rice-I-don't-know-what-it-is-but-it-smells-toxic smell. I hate smelling this. It's like my animal instincts telling me: ''don't drink this''.

T-Not as bad as I remember it being Last time I had this, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, I remember it being very sweet and sickening to me but no so much now. Apart from the chemical bitterness, it's actually pretty good. An apple aroma is present throughout. Watery but it works with the beer.

M- Surprisingly low carbonation. Not very dry. Watery but I can't say it's thin.

D-Easy to drink but it's too nasty to want to drink lot's of it.

Some of my friends love this. I actually want to like it because it would be a good alternative to Budweiser or Molson but this just isn't good.
I tried to rate this according to style.

3.33/5  rDev +13.3%

appearance- yellow in color with good amount of carbonation streaming quickly in the glass up to a good white foamy head, very clear in color, simple appearance but about on point for style

Smell- slight grain, yeasty smell, corn, very mild hops and malt

Taste- slight corn and grains up front, definitely has slight hop kick towards the end and then a malty little finish that lingers for a bit, this flavor is simple but defintitely in offensive in anyway, tastes is similar to most other american macro lagers with perhaps slightly less off flavors that some others have and slighty longer finish

Mouthfeel- high amount of carbonation, and some what very light bodied

Drinkability- certainly highly drinkable and would have no problem throwing quite a good amount of these back on a summer day, look its not something I would drink all the time but sometimes your just lookin for that simple beer when you are having a bunch of friends over and your not looking to break the bank for people who are gonna be drunk anyway and not really appreciating beer and for the price being a good chunk less then the other big names no reason no to go here and not the competion considering if not at least equal slightly better, will be up there with probably yuengling as my cheap macro lager for those occasions

3.8/5  rDev +29.3%

DON'T DRINK THIS ON TAP!!! What are you nuts?!

Hated PBR and its kind for the longest time until finances subjected me to sinking lower on the beer chain. I still believe I spend a disproportionate amount of funny money on beer than food....

I have come to adore PBR (and its brethren: Golden Anniversary Ale, et al). When you let the damn can warm up (but not TOO much) you get the good tasty taste. C-c-c-cold - to hell with it - not all that different from Natty, Bud, Chud, or Fudd. But when it hits that golden temp, its hard to match.

I've come to adore choice crap pilsner in a can and Pabst Blue Ribbon does NOT disappoint. HEINEKEN?!!! F@#$ THAT S&*T!!! PABST - BLUE - RIBBON!!!

3.38/5  rDev +15%

Mm, Pabst. I feel like every bottle should come with an offer of employment at a steel mill or other suitably manly establishment. Only beer I can think of that prominently states UNION MADE. But right, the beer...

Pours into a pint glass a light-to-medium yellow with about an inch and a half of golden-white foamy head. Smells a bit more strongly than many other American macros, more hoppy too. Flavor follows suit, although only barely - it's pretty comparable to Miller/Bud/Coors. Has a bit more of a malty aftertaste that sticks in the mouth for a while.

All told, it's PBR. It won't be winning any blue ribbons outside of its marketing department. But it's somewhat better than its macrobrew competitors at a substantially lower price. When you're looking to fill up a cooler, look to PBR. It's not just for longshoremen and hipsters anymore.

3.3/5  rDev +12.2%

poured a straw color, with a light and fast disappearing head.

you can smell slight malt and a slight corn aroma, like something you would smell on a farm.

tastes like nothing with a short hop snap aftertaste nothing really going on too special, but overall is nothing horrible just not very complex or special

pabst is definitely one of those drinkable beers you can sit on the couch with and finish off the 12 pack with another friend and then move onto something better. beats the shit out of bud and coors

2.2/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a pale, straw yellow color, no head, and no carbonation. Aroma is a grassy, sweet malt aroma and not much else going on here. Flavor is dank grains, light sweet malt, and very grainy. Mouthfeel is very prickly on the tongue yet finishes very crisp.

I can't even believe I'm reviewing this beer, but had it this past weekend and wanted to try something new and different. This is a beer my dad drank for years and I wonder if anyone would even consult these reviews when buying PBR. Therefore, I question why I'm writing a review for this. I think this would be a great lawn mower beer in the summer time and quaff it down on hot day in place of water. In fact, I'd definitely take this over water...

2.15/5  rDev -26.9%

This is defiantly a beer that you have to get used to. It defiantly has the beer type of flavor, but its a cheap beer. It was very hard for me, a stout lover, to enjoy this beer The taste was almost old but and it was very hard to drink a lot of it. For the price I paid and the amount I drank it was a good time with friends, but I would not even get this beer again.

Cheers!

3.13/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a straw color with a slight head that dissipates quickly.

Smells much better than other macro lagers like summer.

Goes well while cooking out on the grill during a hot summer day.

My cheap beer of choice-How anybody can drink Bud, Miller or Coors over this is beyond my comprehension!

Good all around american lager that doesn't ask for much in money or thinking-just a nice drinker..

3.43/5  rDev +16.7%

This beer stands out from other standard American Lagers. They are certainly doing something right all these years in america if it was named Americas Best in 1893, giving Pabst its infamous title Blue Ribbon, survived prohibition, and maintains status as one of Americas favorite go to Lagers today. Certainly a favorite hit on PBR three dollar pitcher night at my local bar.

It appearance is interesting, its a very flat color, and looks like a very honey-yellow, normally single color brews look uninteresting, but its color is very pleasant. It pours with solid white head, that quickly disperses. Its smell leaves a lot to be desired, it isn't unpleasant, its very nearly nothing at all, very unassuming. It tastes mild and unassuming, nothing unpleasant about it. Its mouthfeel, is fantastic, very sharp, very crisp, tingly and pleasant. Overall very drinkable, not the most interesting beer out there, but pretty refreshing when you want something light & refreshing.

2.7/5  rDev -8.2%

Appearance: Actually doesn't look too unpleasant. Not-too-pale golden-yellow in hue with some foam.

Smell: I can smell the grain here...and it's actually a good smell. However, the smell of aluminum overwhelms everything. Thumbs down.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation makes it smooth. At the same time, PBR tastes like a below average beer. It would taste at least average, but it is very metallic.

Drinkability: The metal can make this a struggle.

Overall: PBR would be a great beer if it was marketed and distributed better. A very popular beer with hipsters and hunters alike, giving it some nice nostalgic points.

3.7/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a glass stein.

A: A bright, transparent yellow with a bright white head that fades to a thin lace that remains over the beer most of the way down the glass.

S: Some malt and corn, distinctly sweet. No off smells or anything metallic.

T: Light and crisp, very similar to smell with a dry finish and a bit of grassy hops. The bit of corn that is there isn't unpleasant, rather a bit sweet and fresh. Not massively flavorful, but definitely interesting.

M: Moderate carbonation, thin body, but that's the style. And it's the style done quite nicely.

D: Definitely could drink a number of these, especially on a hot day. This is really where this beer shines. Really, a nice, inexpensive combination of just enough flavor and high drinkability to make this a quaffable beverage.

3.58/5  rDev +21.8%

My go to cheap beer. Smooth, pleasant american style taste aroma and color. Usually had on the cheap and available everywhere. No real hop flavor to speak of, but come on this is a cheap american style lager.

Appearance: looks like beer.
Smell: Smells like beer.
Taste: Tastes like beer.
Mouthfeel: when it is in your mouth you think "I've got beer in my mouth"
Drinkability: Pretty good, when you consider the cost. Easily on par with other American styles like Budweiser and Miller products.

3.98/5  rDev +35.4%

It is what it is. It's got a nice even taste, not too bitter and not too weak. It succeeds where Bud Light fails. PBR is a good beer to have when you have a long day. It's got a nice dark appearance and it's great in a can. Want to know the best part though? The price. For a 12 pack it's $7
No joke, cheaper than a 6 pack of Budweiser. All though, I do enjoy PBR even though it's not my favorite.

2.53/5  rDev -13.9%

A - Very transparent straw yellow color that leaves a trace amount of head. Pretty good lacing.

S - Not much of a smell here. Some grains and cereal. No hops or alcohol.

T - I just had this out of a bottle, and I have to say, it's much better from the bottle. All the lemony freshness from the bottle is gone and left with a heavy cereal taste. It's better than most macro brews, but it's not nearly as good from the can. No hop taste.

MF - Light and crisp. Heavier than most macros.

D - Very drinkable. Smooth and easy. Great session beer.

4.2/5  rDev +42.9%

the first beer i ever drank... i stole it from my grandpas garage fridge ran out behind the garage cracked it open and never looked back! I brew my own beer and i love craftbrew. but on a thursday after a long work day... give me a pbr! and besides, whens the last time you saw a 30 pack of dogfish head 60 min ipa? and if you did find it do you think it would be $15.00 out the door?

3.45/5  rDev +17.3%

pours a fizzy yellow into my mug, huge white head, tons of bubbles.

Doesn't smell like much, maybe some faint grain

taste is grainy and some sweet, very little hops. Your typical mega-swill. Not too much flavor, but not too watery.

mouthfeel is thin and light. I rated it a 4 because i think water feels pretty good in the mouth, that's about what it's like, but highly carbonated.

Highly drinkable... this is one of those beers you can drink all day if you wanted to. perfect for camping, and summer activities.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company