Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev +23.5%

I had not seen this in a bottle for a long time.

Appearance: Clear gold brew with an adequate, white head.

Smell: Malt presence, corn and a slight hint of hops.

Taste: Decent malt presence with a slight bitterness and a corn aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Satisfying smoothness.

Drinkablity: Solidly drinkable American brew. Drinking one of these is a comforting as entering the city limits of your hometown after being gone for years.

SargeC, Apr 12, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a pint glass. Very pale straw color with a regular size head. The carbonation is adequate for the style. There is a touch of hops in the aroma, along with that mixture of malt and corn. The crispness of the hops and is present in every sip, something not really execpted from a macro lager. The body is thin and there is an drying aftertaste that builds up after a couple. But if I'm drinking macros this and Shlitz are probably the two I'm drinking first.

phishgator, Apr 09, 2008

I've read some of the reviews and couldn't agree more with most of them. I started out drinking PBR because it was the only beer I could afford while paying an older person to buy it for me (what don't look at me like that, we all did it). I went back to PBR a few weeks ago after a four year long sabatical. I have to say, it's the most drinkable macro(cheap beer) that I've ever drank. and yes, it's better drank through a beer-bong. "tastes so good, when it touches your lips it's so good."-Frank

naterock, Apr 09, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -8.8%

This beer is a hell of a beer for the money. I think because its refreshing that I could drink this frequently. Dont get me wrong its a macro lager but its a drinkable one for me. The taste is thin but its very drinkable for me. Best served in bong form!! ;-)

Overall, its a drinkable beer and good for the price!

iconoklaztor, Apr 03, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +34.4%

I found this beer to be quite sweet. I popped open my first can and was surprised to find that I really like this beer. It wouldn't be my first choice to drink, but if the money isn't in my pocket to buy a nice Belgium, I would purchase this. What year did they win the Blue Ribbon? 1884? This is a good BBQ beer with the boys.

bennorthenor, Apr 01, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +15%

This is an above-average macro lager. It smells faintly of corn and grain husk. The corn flavors are stronger on the palate with hints of pale malt and hops, but the corn is not as overpowering as Miller High Life. It goes down fairly easy and everybody seems to find it at least palatable. This is the one to get when the going is cheap.

cbleary, Apr 01, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +29.3%

so, 647 reviews as of this writing. I'm having pints with a friend in lowell, ma. the brew pub is under renovations as a result of a change in ownership and has no "brewpub beer". My friend is drinking PBRs and I go with a local IPA. I decide what the heck, let's break with 19 years of tradition and see what this beer is all about. The bar sells kegs of this almost nightly due to a college being a block or two away.

So, looks great, corn aroma, clean light malts and corn across the taste buds. Decent. I am surprised and impressed.

I won't go wholesale into PBR but if I'm at this bar again there are worse choices to be made. Much better than the last bud product I had!

barleywinebrewer, Apr 01, 2008
3.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance: Head foams up quite big then quickly dissipates, a glass swirl brings little or no head replenishing. Clear pale golden yellow hue.

Smell: Nothing sweet nothiced but maybe there are some grassy hops to note along with a touch of strained hops.

Taste: Light body and thin, somewhat crisp with etectable carbonation. Just a touch of hops, with a dry finish. .

Notes: Back in 1974 to 1977 I lived in Meadville Pa. My next door neighbor had the area distributorship for PBR and for those three years that was my beer. Have only had it a few times in the last two decades. I have been buying some of the more expensive brews lately (to both enjoy and rate on this site)and my wallet needed relief so I saw this at $10.99 a case and grabbed one.
Jason said:
A perfect change up when things get a bit tedious and want to drink a simple beer, (well put).

jadpsu, Mar 29, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +41.2%

Cool, Crisp, Clean...

this is a staple in my fridge. PBR was the first beer for me and one i continue to enjoy at home and dive-bars alike. it is inexpensive, delicious and a rebel. when you go to a party it used to be that the PBR stuck out, a conversation starter, now it is a staple. the best beer in 1893 and the recipe hasn't changed. great beer, great taste, never lets me down...

great go-to-beer.

foggymountainman, Mar 29, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +20.1%

This will be my first ever review although I have been reading this site for a while. Some might scoff at the fact that I chose to review this beer first, but considering how many nights of drunkenness it provided before I was legally able to drink, I feel I owe it to this beer to be my first review. I also have to select the serving type of can, because I don't think I have ever had a bottle of PBR.

PBR pours out a piss yellow that is all too common among American macros. It gives little to no head, and then dissipates within a matter of moments to reveal a good amount of carbonation. Certainly no awards for apperance.

The smell also isn't all that great. It smells like a little bit of toasted malt and an overpowering smell of corn.

Now to the taste, here is where things start to improve. The beer is extremely clean and crisp, and although it hardly has any taste of hops, it has this sweetness that just seems right for the beer.

The mouthfeel also feels good as it finishes clean.

Drinkability is a perfect 5 as the low ABV and more than decent taste means you and your buddies can smash a bunch of these and have a good time.

DerekDudley, Mar 26, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +8.2%

I was served a sample of this brew at the Spring Beer and Wine Festival in Portland, Oregon on March 21, 2008. It is noteworthy that this was the only American macro lager represented. Also, I sampled this beer because it was the first beer I legally drank with my father some 30+ years ago!!!

A: It poured a yellow body that was marginally cloudy and supported a robust bone white head and an abundant curtain of lacing.

S: It emitted aromas of sweet lightly toasted malts, grains and minor hints of grass.

T: It was sweet and light on the tongue with heavy carbonation and a gentile soft hop bitterness. There were hints of citrus and grains, and grass but not to an extent that it compromised the flavor of the beer.

M: It was light bodied, aggressively carbonated and finished clean. A very refreshing brew meant to be served very cold on a very hot day.

D: Far more flavorable than many macro lagners with a light body adn low ABV it would easily outlast a long session.

dnichols, Mar 24, 2008
2.53/5  rDev -13.9%

Had on tap at the Pourhouse in Boston.

Poured gatorade yellow and a thin, white head. Head disappeared quickly, must have taken most of the flavor with it.

Sweet smell of corn. Not much else.

The taste is all grain and corn. Tastes like it is made from horse feed. Not a Bad thing.

Decent Macro with good drinkability. Tastes great with Cornbread. Mellow flavor that doesn't dominate the food you are eating.

dippy, Mar 18, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +43.5%

PRB--The redneck beer of choice! I tried this after reading the reviews on this site, and wow, was I surprised!

Appearance: Pale yellow with a decent head. This looks like the classic American beer

Smell: None so to speak of. A slight bit of corn. In a word, clean.

Taste: Crisp and smooth. The most "beer-like" macro I've ever had

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation, but the bubbles seem small on the tongue. Light and fresh

Drinkability: Goes down smooth and easy. Great with pizza, wings, or anything else for that matter

PBR is truly an American original. Great beer at a great price!

udrick, Mar 18, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +11.6%

Due to monetary circumstances weekday beer splurging had to be put on hold. To the local CVS pharmacy to indulge in a frosty 6'er of PBR.
Drank my first beer out of a Dodger Blue pint glass that I had my girlfriend steal in her purse from the nearby bar, "The Roadhouse". Pours like any other Mac Lag, golden yellow body with a fat frothy white head that disapates within a matter of 15 seconds, settles then sparkles with a multitude of champengesk bubbles. Does not possess the smell of a stale tin car like other Macs, a tad yeasty and sweet like sweet grain bread. Mild malty taste, maybe a little sourdough bread, white corn, sunflower seeds, nothing overwhelming just hints of these flavors. Mouthfeel is great, smooth, mild aftertaste, does not have the pasty roof of your mouthfeel like other shitty macros. Suprisingly the warmer it gets the easier it is the drink, i'm not suggesting you let it sit under your bed for a week, but you can take your time drinkin' a sixy. Thank god for a cheap non shitty tasting beer for beer lovers that fell on hard times!

TCadillac, Mar 12, 2008
2.53/5  rDev -13.9%

Well, It's PBR and up North it has quite the cult following, and being from up north i've had my fair share of PBR

A: Typical Mass produced American Lager, Clear yellowish color, head dissipates faster then a blink of an eye

S: Old Hops, a little sweet maybe...

T: Well, for a Mass produced, I mean you know what your drinking when you get it, I don't mind a PBR. Out in the woods, ice fishing, a PBR sits quite well

M: Water when room tempature, overly carbonated when cold

D: Depends on the situation, if your going out to camp or hitting up a college party PBR is my choice over any Mass produced, might be the cultish thing but, it does the job I suppose. If your a poor college kid. get a 24 oz Sam Adams and some PBR and your set eh?

jpinkard, Mar 08, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +13.3%

Why do some establishments chill the hell out of their mugs? That's what I was thinking when I received my 25oz sample at an ice cold temperature. It's still decent ice cold, but it tastes better at merely cold (it took time for my sample to warm up), as the corn and hop flavors loosen up. Simple and refreshing beer without any astringent flavors.

DoubleJ, Mar 06, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a can into a mini pint glass. The can gave a civilized burp when I opened it. Poured clear, yellow/straw color with minimal head.

Smelled ok, not as bad as I thought it would be. Still, not very impressed.

Taste was ok, not as bad as other cheap beer. I don't really think this stuff merits detailed tasting notes so I'll pass on that.

Mouthfeel was kinda neutral, nothing really there.

Drinkability was decent. Easy to pound down, but nothing I would relish having.

GeoffW, Mar 05, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +11.6%

The six-pack carrier showed the Gold medal for 2006 American Style Lager at the GABF. Didn't know this.

Pours into my futuristic bulbous Sam Adams glass a brilliantly clear pale gold color with a loose and audible 1/2" white head. Not too much carbonation rising. Some good thin lacing working.

Bright freshness in the nose of minerally lager yeast, some malt and an earthy, wet stone scent. A little lemon zest too.

Flavors are quick and fleeting with a nice stony dryness at the end. The paleness of this lager is tasty but very short lived.

Mouthfeel is nice. Quick assertive carbonation that is prickly yet very fine. Light bodied with a great long and dry finish.

Drinkability is good. Very unintrusive and would go well with many standard dishes.

Overall this lager's dryness and texture really sets it apart from most macros I've tasted. No funky flavors, just a nice tame character that's easy and breezy. A good non-thinking beer.

malty, Mar 03, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +26.9%

This beer has all the downsides of the regular macros as far as no smell and being a fizzy yellow,,,, but it stops there.

The taste is far more beerlike than the others and I've been a bud man when drinking a macro beer for years.

This is a great tasting American macro , I'm glad i listened to the Alstrom Bro's review this may be a new summer/simple ,BBQ beer for me over bud.

Try it.

MP72, Feb 29, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +19%

Pours clear straw with sudsy white head which fades to a thin layer in seconds, spotty lacing. Smell: sweet grain, slight corn and grainy/grassy hops. Taste: lightly grainy, thin malt with a touch of hops. Ever so slight touch of alcohol. Medium carbonation. Fairly clean for a macro lager, although the cereal grains (and corn syrup?) really hit in the finish if it warms. Still one of the better American macro lagers around.

babaracas, Feb 24, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is what I get when a place doesn't have and real good choices or if I'm running out of money.

A - Very light yellow.

S - Smells bitter. Not much else.

T - Tastes pretty much the same. A little bitter and not much else.

M/D - Very good for a cheaper beer.

nbrown, Feb 21, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured a light yellow from a 12 oz can. About a half a finger head which disapears quite quickly. Gotta love the PBR can. Probably the best out there. Red, white and blue colors, big blue ribbon with the red stripe and then the nice script text. Same with the PBR neon, it beats every beer out there, hands down.

My grandparents used to drink PBR in the summer from the short stubby bottles (what ever happened to them? they should be brought back!, immediately, thank you!). When my dad turned 40, I was about 15 and drank PBR all night at his party. I remember when PBR was actually advertised on TV.

Anyway, back to the beer. PBR is just as good as BMC. Plus its inexpensive. Long live PBR! We live in a great age. You can buy a lot of beer for little money! Forget buying a case for $40, you can get a 30 pack for $12. We can make it up in volume!.

lionking, Feb 18, 2008

I'm never dissapointed when I see a PBR. Very affordable,and drinkable

A-Yellowish in color with not much of a head to speak of, 1 finger maybe but dissapates quickly
S-Not much of a smell to this beer you really have to search to get something.
T-Watery taste, light and crisp.Metallic finish in the back of your throat.
D-Definately drinkable, goes down easy and stays there.

johnnyirishman, Feb 17, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -3.1%

This is not the best tasting lager in the world, but PBR has some good things going for it. First, it is highly affordable, aka: cheap. Second, if you go to a crappy bar and you're going to get drunk on cheap beer, a bottle or can of this looks way cooler than a Bud, Coors, or Miller. Because after all, isn't what other people think the most important thing.

That last part was a joke for those of you who can't read sarcasim.

Asher1982, Feb 12, 2008
2.08/5  rDev -29.3%

Even an agressive pour resulted in barely a half a finger of rocky, bone-white head with lousy retention, ending in wisps. There was no nose to speak of. Well, maybe a light sweetness, but barely discernible. The color was beautiful deep-yellow/light-gold with NE-quality clarity. The mouthfeel was thin, watery and it had a light sweetness on the tongue. The finish was light, cottony, non-existent. I might as well not even have been drinking beer. This could have been air, it was so light as to float away. Aarrgh!

A couple of last thoughts, both allusions to movies. In "Blue Velvet", Dennis Hopper as Frank has a convo with Kyle MacLachlan. "Hey, kid, whadddya want to drink?" "Heineken, please." "Heineken?!? F**k that s**t! PABST. BLUE. RIBBON, mister!" How about neither?

In "Repo Man", Otto looks wistfully at The Circle Jerks, now reduced to lounge singers in gold lame outfits, shakes his head and says, "And to think, I used to like those guys." And to think, I used to drink PBR on Wednesday nights at the Sub Cafe in New London, Connecticut like it was going out of style.

woodychandler, Feb 09, 2008