Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
3.62/5  rDev +23.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 19oz pilsner glass.

Appearance: Clear golden with a small white had that leaves behind heavy foam.

Smell: Sweet malt and some adjunct, with light but noticeable hops.

Taste: Begins grainy and sweet with hints of corn, then a pilsnereasque hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp, refreshing finish.

Drinkability: Definitely a better choice than the "big three" macros. A simple beer with good character.

3.25/5  rDev +10.9%

"Not gonna lie to ya, I'm down to drink some Pabst."

Darn tootin'.

A- Clear yellow liquid in a dimpled stein. A little more robust color than most adjunct lagers. A modestly impressive head forms from a moderately aggressive pour; thick, rich and creamy looking. However, it quickly fades to nothing. Mildly lively, some visible carbonation visible.

S- Behind the corn huskiness is a sweeter aroma of cheap barely. The hop aroma is the best feature of the aroma; twangy and crisp. A brighter smelling beer.

T- Starts of with watered down barely tastes, moves to slightly harsh adjuncts and finishes on a mellow hops taste. Almost a creamy lingering adjunct finish. While not totally absent, PBR lacks that harsh metallic taste in a lot of AAL's.

M- Quite thin, of course. Lacking body but not overwhelmingly carbonated.

D- Drinkability is high, due to a better flavor profile than the others and a overall more laid back drinking sensation to me. Easily my favorite of all the "big" adjunct lagers.

2.23/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured 2 of these into a Mass (still not full) to cap off a day of homebrewing.

Pours light, dull yellow with a soapy frothy head with little visible carbonation. Head retention is good and frothy, but soapy looking.

Aroma is a little harsh and unappealing. Slightly of fusel alcohols and adjuncts.

Taste starts off nice and sweet, then moves into a strange dry pilsner phase, then comes back to sweet. Some hop presence that is actually quite tasty but the malt base just doesn't cut it for me. Sort of half pilsner, half American adjunct lager that doesn't mix well.

Carbonation is too light and highlights the flaws in the beer too much. Leaves a dry, grainy feeling on the tongue.

The drinkability woudl be decent if it wasn't for the fact that I feel sick whenever I drink PBR. I don't think this hit me until I bought a case of it. I think people tend to regard PBR as a good alternative to bud, but IMO bud is made a lot better and doesn't leave me with a hangover or make me feel a little sick.

3.97/5  rDev +35.5%

As a 36 year old mom jean wearing non-hipster I cannot explain my fondness for this brew. Is it the centuries old award for which this beer is named? Is it the "its not Bud" factor? Is it the dirt cheap price? All possible. On tap is my preferred method of consuming mass quantities of this classic. Its slightly sweeter tasting this way and has no unpleasant vegetal flavor that is common to the canned version. After 1-2 $2 pints of this bad boy the drinkability is off the charts!

3.61/5  rDev +23.2%

It's PBR, an American classic, we've all had it some time or an other. I think PRB gets a bad rap, personally I love this stuff, and it's my go to beer. Is it the best beer in the world, no. Is it the best macro American beer, YES.

A- Golden, pretty standard for type, big bubbly head that goes away rather quickly.

S- Grainy, faint aroma of corn.

T- Ahh the taste...it sort of tastes like...college! that and corn malt, but in a good way, not in a nasty way like busch, a faint warming from the alcohol.

M- Fizzy, I should note that PBR is best consumed VERY COLD, and should always be done so. At first you get the fizzy feel, then the taste, followed by the warm of the alcohol. The aftertaste fades very quickly.

D- Amazing, I can drink this beer anytime, any where. I've had one PBR and have been happy, and I've had 30 and have been ever more happy. Perfect for any occasion.

3.18/5  rDev +8.5%

My can has a best by date of 1/11/10

Aroma - Adjunct lager with hints of corn. Really a very thin aroma.

Appearance - Fluffy with head quickly dissipates to the tiniest collar. The beer itself is golden yellow (typical lager) with just a trickle of carbonation.

Taste - Nothing I equate with a good beer, to be honest. Sweetness gives way to a hint of hops in the middle but sweetness returns for the finish. The aftertaste does linger on the palate, which isn't a bad thing here. A good amount of flavor is present without really getting in the way of the drinking experience.

Notes - A good mouthfeel with carbonation making an appearance only to carry the beer to the back of the throat. Simply a good beer.

3.51/5  rDev +19.8%

An American icon....PBR

The classic blue, white and red label is fixture of every college bar in the country. Low cost makes it a fan favorite and to most it's considered a right of passage into the world of beer.

One reason I love PBR is the taste, it really has its own unique taste separate from the rest. I know it's cheap, heck I once bought a 6pack with the change in my ash tray, but that says something about PBR. Even a cheap beer can be decent and to most that's really what matters the most.
Now when I go to parties where I'm a new comer I always take PBR. Because no one really wants to drink it and easy to spot if someone is raiding your cooler.

3.25/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured into a mug at 35 degrees.

Appearance: A one finger bubbly white head that has some retention to it. The body of the beer is a light straw color. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer.

Nose: A light malt with rice there is a light floral aroma.

Taste: A light malt flavor with a light floral aroma.

Overall: The mouth feel is light and carbonated. The body of the beer is light and light finish. It is a descent beer, and taste a bit better than a bud.

3.8/5  rDev +29.7%

Okay, clearly nothing special here, but at $56 for a 1/2 barrel, it's currently filling my kegarator as the go-to beer when we want to save the good stuff. Here's the run down: Best friend, co-workers, girlfriend, and even my mother will gladly hit the tap for this stuff, so it has proved its worth at least in some form. I'm tired of giving my dough to the big 3 for a "family friendly" beer!!!

Last two 1/2 barrel kegs were okay but not "family" hits like the PBR....
(Keg 1: Founder's Cerise - fruity beer wasn't for everybody) and (Keg 2: Bud Slight - extra skunky but easily emptied)

Honestly, it's kind of like we returned to the 60's or 70's and retraced our family roots. Pabst has returned in a family friendly way for our family. Being within driving distance of 3 Floyds, Goose Island, Flossmoor, Half Acre, Lakefront, Capital, Tyranena, Leinie's, Two Brothers, New Holland, and Bell's has it's advantages...but those kegs end up being for me and not a share-able experience.

So sometimes, the family needs something basic. And Pabst does the job. So, a night of cards, board games, a backyard fire, and Pabst works out. Even for the beer snob in the family.

3.23/5  rDev +10.2%

C'mon, it's PBR. Gotta love retro beer, even if it's adjunct lager. It's light beer night, and now that the Peroni has been measured and weighed...onward.

Appearance is slightly better than some adjunct lagers. There's something to this one, little more color. Pour results in a nice frothy head that dies down a little too quickly.

Smell is not the usual adjunct lager, there's definitely something going on here too. Kind of some hops, a little bit of that filler maybe? Almost a metallic smell, if that makes any sense?

Taste is actually not as blah as you'd think. It's got a little bit of hop, little bit of bitter on the finish. The funny part is that there is a hint of lemongrass thing going on about 15 seconds after I swallow it.

Mouthfeel is so-so, not heavy and not light. It's got a good dry finish.

I like the drinkability of it in light of the dry finish. It's definitely something I could have a nice night out, pacing it and drinking without getting all out of shape and spending a ton.

3.13/5  rDev +6.8%

On tap at the B - their classic. Wanted to end up with some water - Pabst.

A - Clear, yellowish, head lasts for about 10 seconds.

S - Sweet grains, yeast, not much else.

T - Sweet light pale, malts. Slightest hint of hops.

M - Very light body, medium to high carbonation.

D - Cult classic, like evil dead. Very smooth, barely heavier than water.

3.52/5  rDev +20.1%

$0.62 a can, in his economy, you just can't get a better beer for that price.

It's the classic American Beer. you really can't go wrong on a hot day with a cold can of PBR.

I've only ever had it in cans, but I hear it's even better on tap.

You can pay more for a macro brewed lager, but you won't get a better example than this.

3.18/5  rDev +8.5%

My beer of choice for this category. Really an easy drinking and tastes much better than some of the other adjunct lagers out there. Of course, if you can get it on tap, it's always nice and it usually tastes a little fresher, but I like it even out of the can.

3.63/5  rDev +23.9%

Pabst Blue Ribbon Should hold the title still for best "American Style Lager". No, its never going to be the best beer in the world, but it beats out anything that Anheiser has to offer. its like most of the reviews say, its a great go-too for gathering around the fire, hunting, fishing, camping, sporting events. its refreshment level is high in my opinion. its a good beer after a hard days work. if im not drinking a nicer porter or stout, or if im just hanging out with some buddies, its pabst we reach for. its cheap and easy. Pabst also sits nice with a large crowd because its a beer that has ceased to bombard you with selfless advertising. In that sense its almost a "lifestlye" beer.

Pabst has a weak flavor, but just enough that when combined with its good amount of carbonation, gives you something that is easy to palette, easy to drink, and easy to finish. its like the student who always gets "C"s. never failing, but never really never going above and beyond. In that sense its dependable.

I had this beer at a little get together, it was the first time in probably 15 years since I've had a PBR. This is bland, tasteless, totally innocuous, easy to drink, refreshing, with a touch of malt but nothing too much else. The thing that perplexes me most about adjunct lagers is that they are largely tasteless. It is like parsing the finer qualities of water, there is just a flat palate of flavors from which to choose. There is nothing bad about a PBR, there just isn't much there.

2.83/5  rDev -3.4%

decide to make a run to the six pack store for a macro tasting session saw the pbr for 4.75 wnet for it since it was uber cheap.
poured from the bottle to a pint glass.
appearance : a pale straw color with lacing that stays a while after being poured.
smell : very grainy .
taste , mouthfeel and drinkability :grainy with a metallic after taste .

2.98/5  rDev +1.7%

Good old PBR. If I have to choose a cheap grocery-store adjunct, this is the beer I reach for. It doesn't really repulse me like many other macro adjunct lagers, rather this beer is quite refreshing. A typical grainy adjunct taste with a slightly sweet/metallic aftertaste. High amounts of carbonation and a light body. All in all, a smooth drinker that's easy to finish.

3.16/5  rDev +7.8%

I always associated PBR as an "old man" beer. My brother-in-law (he's not an old man) had some at the house and since I'm no beer snob, I gave it a shot. It was surprisingly "OK". Not a bad beer, not great. Average in all regards. For my money, this is a good beer for drinking with like-minded beer fans while watching a game, etc.

2.8/5  rDev -4.4%

No, PBR is not good beer. It is not bad beer. It has no color, really, no smell, and the only distinctive feature of the taste is a metallic piquant. Moderate carbonation and thin. Drinkability is fairly good: after all, it was made to be consumed easily. PBR has good street cred. Generations have relied upon it, and even in this era it has its uses: on a given night when one is tired and has the blues, and faces the convenience store dilemma of what kind of alcohol to imbibe, a 24 oz. PBR and a bag of peanuts is more than enough to help one cope.

3.38/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an uninspiring, clear straw color with an impressive amount of frothy, cotton-like head.
Smells grassy, vegetal, corny.
Flavor is good for the style; highly vegetal, with the corn adjunct shining through. Sweet malt base, and, while not in the flavor, there is a buzz in the mouth which indicates the hops' presence.
Crisp and refreshing, if not highly remarkable.
Drinkability is high when cold, decreases along with the temperature.
This American lager has quite a cult following, but not much better or worse than its peers. Still, a good choice for the price, and a 12-pack in my refridgerator helps me space out my indulgence into better beer.

3.7/5  rDev +26.3%

Look, we can't always drink hand crafted deluxe microbrews, some times we need to mix it up, or maybe just get drunk. PBR is my "Getting-Trashed-and-Watching-Football" beer. As far as cheap beer goes, it tastes alright and is pretty smooth. The best thing about PBR is how much of it an average person can drink. I'm not saying that it is a weak beer, only that it flows smoothly, goes down easy, and stays down. Great for tailgating and drinking games, if you aren't feeling snobby and just want to pound some brews for the sake of doing so, go grab the Blue Ribbon!

12 oz can, poured into a shaker pint.

Ah, the hipster's elixir of choice (well, at least hipster's former elixir of choice). Looks decent enough, pale gold body with vigourous visual carbonation. Pours with a finger of bright white head that disappears pretty quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smells very lightly of sweet malts, moreso of sweet corn and maybe a hint of hops. The taste pretty much follows, with additional breadiness and what could be mistaken for a slight nip of hops in the finish. Kind of a metallic aftertaste.

Not so bad, as far as adjunct lagers go. Doesn't really distinguish itself from the crowd, but goes down just fine.

3.51/5  rDev +19.8%

Ok, I've never had a PBR. There, I said it. Since I do these things on the fly I get to share my first PBR experience with the BA world.

Ok, not too bad. Yellow, very bubbly and adjuncty. But, wait. Is that lacing? Cool. Aside from that, though, pretty average.

Yea, there's a reason this is in a can. Not too nice on the nose. Sweet, doughy, a little skunky, the usual.

I have to admit I snuck a taste from the can before I wrote the other sections. And what a pleasant surprise. I was expecting pure nastiness, but this is actually decent. Well, decent for the style. It's like a sweet and better balanced adjunct.

It's a bit watery with average carbonation. Not bad, but par for the adjunct course.

Ok, on taste alone this was pretty drinkable, at least if you're not expecting beer brilliance, but a decent easily accessable brew. I might even pay for the next one.

3.38/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Best before Dec. 7, 2009 on the bottle. Single purchased at local health food store for $.89. "UNION MADE" on the attractive red, white, and blue label.

A-Pours a clear, pale golden hue with a two finger bright white foamy head the slowly recedes into a modest lacing.

S-Grainy malt, corn, and slight grassiness.

T-Lightly toasted malt sweetness and some bitterness.

M-Smooth, well balanced, crisp, and refreshing.

D-Very easy drinking, although somewhat lacking in taste. Beats BMC hands down.

3.26/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance: Clear gold, good head.

Smell: Corn, seltzer.

Taste: Mild sweet corn, a hint of grassiness.

Drinkability: Pretty light, easy to have a bunch of them.

As the ads used to say, PBR me ASAP. Occasionally I want an easy drinking beer and PBR fits the bill. Not bad for a sub-premium, I actually prefer it at times since it seems to be a little more flavorful than the BMC products.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company