Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,972 | Reviews: 1,685
4.35/5  rDev +48.5%

Judged as an American lager, this is a classic great beer. It's better than its bigger competitors and a joy to drink when you're looking for a crisp clean beer that goes down well. Elegantly simple, refreshingly uncomplicated. I feel cool drinking it.

4.33/5  rDev +47.8%

I have really fallen in love with this beer! I always listened to my friends bash this brew and call it the nastiest of all beers. Well when I bought a 12 pack of long neck bottles, I was impressed by the taste of this kick ass brew! It easily beats Bud, Coors, and Miller and for the price you can't go wrong at all. Give it a try, and taste a true American legend.

4.32/5  rDev +47.4%

This review is based on the style descriptions of the BJCP for Standard American Lager (1B), rather than the American Adjunct Lager of BA. In my humble opinion the latter carries a subjective, borderline elitist and certainly negative connotation.

A: Served at room temp (68 F) from a 12 oz glass bottle with no expiration/production date. Pours a pale golden color with a bright white, soda pop-like head that quickly settles to a thin white foam.

S: The aroma is surprisingly lively. A faint hint of pilsner malt and corn is garnished by an appropriately light, spicy hop bouquet.

T: The malt profile is delicate and mildly sweet. This is contrasted by adequate hop bitterness and some carbonic bite. Hop flavor is evident and spicy, however light.

M: Medium-light bodied and fairly dry. High carbonation gives an illusion of substance that fades quickly after swallowing.

D: Very refreshing, even at room temp. Could (and have) drink quarts of this.

Overall, this is as good as American standards get. Freshness definitely matters here; as hop character will quickly fade and give way to corn the typical BMC profile. When fresh and served at a reasonable temp (not half frozen), this beer exemplifies the style and offers a thirst quenching, delicate beer that can entertain the most experienced palate.

4.28/5  rDev +46.1%

This beer is easy to drink and cheap to buy. I like this beer to drink when I'm playing cards with the guys. For taste it is some bitterness but not bad. It has a nice mouthfeel not grainy or anything like that. Smells like beer nothing fancy there. All in all its not that bad of a beer.

4.27/5  rDev +45.7%

A- Pours a crystal clear straw with a large white foamy head.

S- A pleasant sweet dry maltiness.

T- A bland but sweet maltiness. A faint hint of balancing hops.

M- smooth, good body for this style. Carbonation is just right.

D- excellent, this is one of the better representations of the style.

4.25/5  rDev +45.1%

A - Looked good.

S - Smelled good.

T - Good lager taste. A little on the malty side, but pretty good balance for a macro. Was not disappointed

M - Good Stuff

D - Good beer for the price, and of the macros I've had it's the best. No wonder Clint was kicking so many of these back in Gran Torino.

4.23/5  rDev +44.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

What? You need help painting your house? You have some cold PBR? Sure. Be glad to help. I still owe you one from that roof repair you helped me with last year.

It's work beer. Straightforward, best cold, right amount of carbonation, a little malt. This is what beer is supposed to be. The kind best shared with friends over sweat.

And it tastes pretty good too.

4.22/5  rDev +44%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Re-reviewing to review it relative to style:

I think that this is one of the vest best American Macro Lagers. Thus, my high score represents this fact. In other words, because I give it a 4+, that doesn't mean it is comparable to other beers that I have rated 4+. It ain't St. Bernardus, but it ain't Corona Light either.

Regardless, I do like this beer a good deal. The taste has hints of corn, malt, and hops. I like the nutty taste that I get in the finish. It definitely refreshing. This is a very decent beer, and a very good value. A 30 pack costs around 15 and a pint rarely more than $2 at the bars I frequent.

4.22/5  rDev +44%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Pabst Blue Ribbon is one of my favorite beers. It's a classic.

Pale yellow, straw color. Quite a bit of carbonation. A little bit of a head, dissipates quickly.

It smells a bit metallic, grainy and hops.

It tastes light, carbonated and has a very nice hoppy flavor. A nice amount of bitters.

Light, fizzy and flavorful.

Overall, one of my favorite beers. It's definatley up there.

4.2/5  rDev +43.3%

The gold standard of its class...it is just a good all around adjunct. There is a reason the neo-hipster types have clung to this...well they've moved on by now I'm sure, but that's just this generation's peripatetic and fickle nature...PBR will stand the test of time...an ice- cold bottle of this stuff is sublime at the right moments...

look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Good beer. For $17 for a 30 pack you cant get anything better. I love that this beer comes in 30 packs. Not many good beers come in 30 packs.

4.2/5  rDev +43.3%

the first beer i ever drank... i stole it from my grandpas garage fridge ran out behind the garage cracked it open and never looked back! I brew my own beer and i love craftbrew. but on a thursday after a long work day... give me a pbr! and besides, whens the last time you saw a 30 pack of dogfish head 60 min ipa? and if you did find it do you think it would be $15.00 out the door?

4.18/5  rDev +42.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I really love this beer. I can't tell you how many pounders of this I've drank over the years, but this time I tried it in a bottle and liked it even better. I guess it's that special occasion and time to review! It holds a special place in my heart, and my wallet. The legend also holds that my great grandfather would leave his on the stove and drink it hot like tea. Anyone else ever heard of this?

It's certainly my "economy" beer of choice, and being a senior in college, I'm often in economy mode. I'm not going to make pretensions and say it's the best beer I've ever had, but I don't get all of the hatred. It's a flavorful, rather consistent standby.

I drank it straight from the bottle, but I know it to be a pale yellow and very clear. Also pours a soapy, foamy head. Smells sweet for the style.

It tastes like American beer. Grainy, malty, not too many hops in there. I love a good IPA, but this is simply another thing altogether, and cannot be compared as such. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with a bit of fizz. Overall it's my old standby. What can I really say?

4.17/5  rDev +42.3%

Disclaimer: I am rating this from the perspective of it being an adjunct lager not how I like it compared to my favorite beers/styles.

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pilsener- pours a clear straw yellow color with a 1.5 finger head, light retention, minimal lacing.

Smell is light and malty- pale german malts and a little yeast. Pretty mellow and nice.

Of course you can taste the adjuncts (rice/corn sugar); they add that weird sweetness and strange finishing taste. Pale malt up front, a little citrus (lemon), barely any hop bitterness. Tastes much better than other adjuncts, especially in a glass.

Mouthfeel is good- light body, moderate carbonation. I've had PBR so many times I thought it was about time to review. If you're going real cheap, go Pabst.

4.17/5  rDev +42.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my cheap beer and i am not even a hipster. I would prefer old style if it were more readily available but this is hard to beat for 15 bucks a 30. Its not dogfish head but if you are looking to knock back a couple after work for not to much cash you can do a lot worse than this.

4.16/5  rDev +42%

PRB--The redneck beer of choice! I tried this after reading the reviews on this site, and wow, was I surprised!

Appearance: Pale yellow with a decent head. This looks like the classic American beer

Smell: None so to speak of. A slight bit of corn. In a word, clean.

Taste: Crisp and smooth. The most "beer-like" macro I've ever had

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation, but the bubbles seem small on the tongue. Light and fresh

Drinkability: Goes down smooth and easy. Great with pizza, wings, or anything else for that matter

PBR is truly an American original. Great beer at a great price!

4.15/5  rDev +41.6%

Pabst has a light blond color that most beers of this type have.

It has a very nice smell. It is not to strong buy smells like your typical grain or hops beer. It is very sweet in smell and is slightly sweet in taste. It has a small head when poured and quickly dissipates.

The mouthful is a tad bit thin and not overly carbonated.

Overall it is a sweet beer that is a very good deal. A 18 pack will run you around 14 or 15 bucks. It's well worth the money and stands out as one of the best cheaper beers. P.B.R. is best on draft or bottle but is just fine out of a can but can have a different taste to some due to the can.

I took a chance when I bought this for the first time but I have made it my favorite "regular" beer. Give the beer its fair chance and you will be surprised.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one before. of all the Piss-water lagers on the planet, this one I actually enjoy, though it's only when the budget is SUPER tight or in social situations where the object is simply to get drunk and (insert appropriate activity)...
Mind you this review is, as instructed, based on the style.

A- transparent gold color with good 2 finger white foamy head, that slowly creeps down to a film.

N- light grain, bit of malt and the faintest bit of hops in the background,

T- mostly follows nose with a nice malt profile that is kind of bitter/sour, and there is a bit more hop flavor than the nose would lead you to believe, it mostly shows up on the finish.

M- thin, but not as thin as water, with a nice smooth malty charter, and a lovely carbonation bite at the end. tricks you into thinking that it's going to finish dry, but is actually rather refreshing, like the style should be.

D- Wonderful example of it's style, my "I'm Broke" fall back/after work at crossroads(anc,ak)/ partying with the fairview/valley/spenard crew brew of choice for YEARS. when it's all about being social on a tight budget this is it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Not going to get into the appearance, taste, mouthfeel, etc. etc. I mean its Pabst Blue Ribbon for god sake. Light, crisp and clean; a great beer to quaff down after mowing the lawn or at a picnic. Also a nice break from the uber-hoppy beer I typically drink Beats the big three by a long shot.

4.14/5  rDev +41.3%

Cool, Crisp, Clean...

this is a staple in my fridge. PBR was the first beer for me and one i continue to enjoy at home and dive-bars alike. it is inexpensive, delicious and a rebel. when you go to a party it used to be that the PBR stuck out, a conversation starter, now it is a staple. the best beer in 1893 and the recipe hasn't changed. great beer, great taste, never lets me down...

great go-to-beer.

4.13/5  rDev +41%

Two pint cans poured into a giant frozen crystal stein. 32 ounces of greatness baby. I shall review this as Beer Advocate advises: within the STYLE.

A: Clear gold with a nice, big but thin head. Nice lace left until the bottom of this huge mug. Once the head goes away, I'm left with a sea of floating islands that have me thinking- this beer LOOKS better than I'd think.

S: I mean, how much complexity can we expect here? Who drinks this for the smell? Not pissy at all...Very mild corn and grains, light steel and clean rain. Faint diacetyl in the background somewhere and maybe a touch of caramel malt.

T: The mouthfeel at first is like soda with a slightly sweet tongue. What follows is a light bodied, semi-slick wave of those grains, (corn mostly and cooked veggies) but nothing bitter. Finishes neat and clean and tidy with nothing left behind that offends this master of all things beer. Not as sweet as Miller High Life, not as pale as Rolling Rock. A good in-between.

D: Definitely one of the most drinkable beers I've had. Right now I'm thinkin shit...I shoulda gotten a couple of these four packs...

Value: Here is the kicker for this decent brew. I paid $2.79 for four pints. I think this stuff is an absolute steal for that price. If you're on a budget, I cannot think of a better choice than a twelve pack of good ole PBR.

This stuff has definitely stood the test of time.

4.13/5  rDev +41%

Born and Raised in Green bay wisconsin. Where ever you go this is the beer you get. PBR is the man. I barel ever drink beer, but when i do, i drink PBR. Hard liquor is the best, but if all you got is beer, PBR better be what you got.

A - anyway, When you get the beer is a goldish color. I always drink it out of a can. only a few times have i drank it out of a bottle. i prefer the can.

S - Little skunky, not gonna lye. the smell can throw you off

T - I love the taste. Tastes like a classic beer. again, the hard liquor is what i love, but for some reason, this beer PBR, is delicous.

M - In the mouth, on the buds, its not that bad, goes down smooth, but after words, you can tell that you have taken a drink. It stays with you.

O - I can drink this all night long. I godda have some shtos inbetween. :P

4.1/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I know this is a cheap beer and for many years, it was not even available around my parts of the woods. Well guess what folks, it's back. I love this beer. I don't know why, I just do. And, since posting on FB pages, I've noticed that some of my friends that I grew up with in High School love it too. Doesn't matter if it comes from a can or a bottle. Still taste good. I want to try this on tap some day.

4.1/5  rDev +39.9%

Appearance (from prior experience) is as expected for the style; drinking this one out of the bottle, also per the style.

Smell is not this beer's strong point. Smells like wind coming in off the Great Lakes on one of their less beautiful days. Again, as expected.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Here's why I decided to write a review. In rating this beer according to it's style ('Shitty' American Ultralight), it is unrivaled. When served cold, the beer fills the mouth with a crisp and expanding frothiness and tickles the sides of the tongue in a way that says two things : 1) This is Beer. 2) This is refreshing. It is, indeed, impressively lacking in flavor. Every swallow is satisfying in the aforementioned criteria, and these criteria alone.

My fridge is always full of beer. The homebrews, the favorite sixpacks, the fancy bombers rimming the back.... and last but not least the drawers and door - overflowing with beer intended drink mindlessly and without concern. Such responsibility lies with PBR.

PBR lacks the corny taste of three hops brewed miller lite, the drop in the ocean taste of the buds, and rarely tastes poorly or stale in the way that coors often does. PBR compares more to Blatz (which is more sweet), and less so to Shlitz (less consistent/often stale tasting), in the coupling of hyperconscious simplicity and standard beerishness. It's position as a sort of cult classic in certain cities/subcultures seems to maintain it's consistent, albeit low, standards. It is not produced and sourced to the degree that many similar beers are, but it is certainly widely known and accessible. In sum, it's the go to beer when I feel dehydrated.

4.1/5  rDev +39.9%

12oz can, best by Jan 2011, into a Duvel tulip. Why not?

A: Crystal clear straw-colored body with an inch of coarse white head. Average retention and some spotty lace. Pretty good for the style.

S: It's actually got quite a clean, pleasant intensity in its straightforward corny/malty graininess. The sweetness of malts and adjuncts is balanced by some grassy hops.

T: Follows the nose precisely, with a nice balance of sweetness and bitterness, followed up by a vaguely toasty, vanilla finish; I've never bothered to analyze the flavors of PBR, but now that I am, I'm impressed at how well it pulls off the cleanness and inoffensiveness of a classic fizzy yellow beer. Rating purely to style, this is almost perfect.

M: Medium-bodied and highly carbonated, with very sharp, tongue-pricking effervescence. Lively, but a little irritating with its harshness.

D: Well-balanced, but actually too flavorful to be as drinkable as some examples of the style.

Notes: I don't know how many PBRs I had during college, but this is the first time I swirled and sniffed it out of a tulip (much to my wife's bemusement). Much to my surprise, the intensification of flavor actually didn't intensify my disgust (as it had for every other AAL I've reviewed). PBR is the real deal, and just became my official favorite cheap beer. If only hipsters didn't think it were cool...

Cheers!