Follow our progress ...

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,669 | Ratings: 5,334
2.97/5  rDev -1.3%

I was in the mood for some macro and went to score some BUD or Yuengling. Man-6 bucks a six pack really rubs me the wrong way. Dont get me wrong-I have tried Deus at $28 a bottle and a lot of other pricey beer but for a macro? Couldnt see it-and I love a good macro. Figured it was time for a PBR seeing as how I havnt had it since high school.

Pours a very pale straw color. One of the palest I have seen. Low aroma-sort of just says "beer". Rather bland and unimpressive flavor-lacks the crisp "snap" that I find in a BUD and others. Very 1 dimensional. Thin and watery body. As I said I love a good macro-theres a place and time for them in my book. I think I would grab a Strohs or Old Milwaukee first.

2.35/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear straw color, a bit yellow, had a decent whispy white head that dissipated as I poured it and left no lacing. The smell is of corn, grainy, a bit of sulfer. The taste is better, it has a some sweet malt notes to it, not too artficially sweet like other macros. The mouthfeel is watery, nicely carbonated. Another good cooler beer and this doesn't have that ick taste that other macros have which makes it quite drinkable.

2.92/5  rDev -3%

Sometimes you just need to slum a little, and when in Portland, OR this is the way to go. It's pours pretty yellow and normally that scares me, but it sort of works. Not much for a head. The smell and taste are rather standard for an American macro lager, but their not unpleasant. A bit bland and not too much of an aftertaste. It has be be cold though. The mouthfeel is a bit thin, but after a couple pints of the good stuff, this can maintain a pretty good buzz for hours. I'm still note sure why a Texan beer is so popular in Portland, what with all the craft breweries there, and it just doesn't drink the same anywhere else for me!

3.02/5  rDev +0.3%

I was rather suprised when I had PRb for the first time with an open mind. The fundamental features of it were pretty poor, such as no retention, no head, no lace, no smell. The look was a light coppery color, not that bad looking. The taste was a bit spicy with a hint of malts and hops well blended together. A very solid draft brew. Don't drink and review.

2.02/5  rDev -32.9%

This beer is clearly experiencing some sort of revival these days. And truth be told, there was a time when PBR in bottles would seem pretty exciting to me too. But my taste in beer has changed, and after reading Maureen Ogle's "Ambitious Brew," I now know that PBR didn't even win a blue ribbon at the 1893 Columbian Exposition! So we can say that the bloom is off this rose, and is evidenced in my impression of the beer itself.

It pours very nicely into my beer clean glass, with abundant head a very faint yellow color. But that's where my pleasant trip down memory lane ends. Aroma is bad...smells like malted corn, and not in a good way. Flavor is more appealing, with some maltiness and corn taste which is much less potent than the odor. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and I wouldn't call this very drinkable.

2.28/5  rDev -24.3%

I had to switch to PBR at the Paradise Rock Club in Boston when they ran out of Sam Adams. I was not very optomistic going into the first sip, and it tasted exactly as expected.

It is VERY bland. The color couldn't be paler and the taste couldn't be weaker. It goes down a bit sweet and leaves a bittersweet aftertaste.

The serving temperature wasn't ideal, it had been thrown on ice for maybe an hour or two. But I can't imagine this greatly affected the end result.

It's a punk rock beer. And it's cooler to order a PBR than a Coors Light. But don't expect to get much more flavor or satisfaction. I can appreciate why people like it, but it seems like a waste of time/money to ever drink this stuff when there is so much better out there. It serves a purpose for the financially struggling college kids and rock wannabes - but I'd rather have one or two good beers than a six-pack of swill.

4.28/5  rDev +42.2%

This beer is easy to drink and cheap to buy. I like this beer to drink when I'm playing cards with the guys. For taste it is some bitterness but not bad. It has a nice mouthfeel not grainy or anything like that. Smells like beer nothing fancy there. All in all its not that bad of a beer.

3.45/5  rDev +14.6%

Looks like beer.... smells like beer.... nothing special there. tastes better than any of the big boy beers "bud, coors, miller, etc." and is usually cheaper to boot. I would not go around preaching its virtues but a great beer for playing drinking games as it is easy to pound and does not leave me felling like a $2 wh%#& after doing so.

3.59/5  rDev +19.3%

Quite pale and transparant. Piss yellow. Clear. Thin ivory white head. Lacing is minimal. Nice nose on this beer for the style. Grainy and sweet. That's a given. But also some light bready malts and hay like tones in the background. Crisp and somewhat agressive carbonation. Light to light-medium in body. Sweet, grainy tones hit the palate first. Agreeable maltiness. Not a lot of depth, but a decent macro. And a good enough quencher in the summer.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

poured, for sake of review only, from its 16 ounce aluminum housing.

Ephemeral head is airy and alabaster in exhibition. The bouquet manifests hygienic with an ethereally nectareous character. Unsubstantially toothsome flavor is non-amalgamated to an acrid and musty sapidity. Mouthfeel is coarse yet gossamery. Speckless terminus initiates further suppings.

2.35/5  rDev -21.9%

Tried this on tap... not sure why. Beer was a clear yellow golden color with a one finger bubbly head. Smell is slighlty sweet of malt and corn. Beer is initially bitter but finishes with a malty crisp finish. A light mouthfeel with lots of carbonation. Drinkable like water, very light.

3.15/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 12oz. can that was about 40F in temperature into a 14oz room temperature (70F) Pilsner glass.

After pouring the beer appeared deep yellow to golden with active carbination originating from the lower quarter of the glass but not quite from the very bottom. The beverage was very clear, pale to almost white near the sides of the glass while yellow to golden near center. A whisp of a head was present right after pouring and completely disappeared within moments.

The beverage has a slight bitter smell leaning towards a mix of fresh cut grass and sweet corn.

The beverage tastes like there is a bitter cusp of spruce or pine needles that gives way to a course, highly carbinated pang of alcohol. After the carbination expends itself the beverage becomes very watery and light.

I find it easy to drink and that is why it is my cheap, working around the house turning wrenches, just finished cleaning, returned from mountain biking garage and basement beer.

2.95/5  rDev -2%

Got the PBR on-tap at Skipper's in Athens, OH.

I've had this beer many times before, this is my first review, however.

Appearance: yellow with a thin white head; not too impressive looking
Smell: skunky cereal smell; typicaly macro smell
Taste: slight malt presence; skunky presence; I'll give them a 3 though becuase this is one of the best macro lagers I've had
Mouthfeel: light bodied, could definitely have a few in a night
Drinkability: good

2.12/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured an EXTREMELY pale straw color with a soda-like head that fizzed away momentarily. Zero lacing.

Smell is of light grain and corn...maybe a tad bit of hop spiciness.

Taste is of corn, very light grains, very light weak hops. Not much to speak of. Had a weird aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very watery and heavy on the carbonation, ala soda.

I guess it's drinkable...but why would I want to go for one of these if I can go for a rich, full of character, craft brew?

Overall, this beer is in the same boat as Budweiser. Very similiar to each other. It is what it is....an American Macro Lager.

2.74/5  rDev -9%

st: Poured from a patriotic red, White & Blue can

a: Light piss yellow

S: Typical american lager smell

T: not too bad but you pay the price the next day!!!

M: Weak...very weak!!!!

D: refreshing on a hot day...but again,..you pay the price on the porcelin pony the next day!!!

3.67/5  rDev +21.9%

pabst is an old stand by. for the price it can't be beat. it ties schlitz for my american macro number one. super smooth. it's definitly way too easy to put a bunch of these boys away. nothing spectactular. but absolutly no off flavors, smooth pure watery american goodness. pbr is where it's at when the money is tight and drinking is in order. great with spicy foods and bbq. always in my fridge for those sundays off.

3.08/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served to me in a can with a dirty glass at "The Woods" Tavern in Priest Lake, Idaho. If you're ever in Priest Lake and there's nothing else open except "The Woods" I would suggest going for a hike or kayaking or something.

Pours piss yellow with a white head and lots of pretty bubbles.

Smells like CO2 with some traces of malt sweetness.

I can really appreciate the way this beer tastes. It has very little in the way of hop flavor or any flavor at all for that matter but there is also very little about the tast not to be liked. This washed down the disgusting pizza I was eating very well and the easy-on-the-palate taste makes it an ideal session beverage. If you have to choose between PBR and any other macro. Choose PBR.

3.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Having heard mainly negative things about this beer, thought I should at least give it a try while in the States! Poured pale gold, fair head that lasted, though aroma very weak and pale - like the colour - and hardly inspiring. Taste is mainly thin malty and slightly sweet as distinct to some other Maco lagers, and not a lot in it to make you actively dislike it, but nothing to grab your attention either. However, it is easy to drink and thirst quenching on a hot day, so if it were the only beer available I would not refuse it, though could imagine many others I would prefer! If it were between that and Bud, think I would have the Pabst!

cheers

JohnW
B'ham UK (written while in Florida Nov 2006)

3.45/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Good ol Pabst. Seems better out of the bottle, not sure if its a carbonation difference. Straw body, with a fizzy head, same smell as the cans, bit of malt.

Light malt flavor with a hint of bitterness, corny flavor on the finish as it warms.

My favorite cheap beer, especially after a long day of work. If the "corny" aftertaste wasn't there it would be exceptional for the price.

2.88/5  rDev -4.3%

40oz brown bottle

Pabst Blue Ribbon was pale golgen in color and very clear. It had a thick bubbly white head with decent retention and some spotty lacing. The aroma was sweet and grainy. The taste was about the same with a touch of hops and a dry finish. It had a medium-light body and medium carbonation. Drinkability was average. It's not to bad for a macro lager.

3.66/5  rDev +21.6%

12 oz. longneck into pint glass.

A: Pale straw/ golden with a 1-inch white head that's somewhat sticky.

S: Average macro smell: grain, a bit grassy, little in the way of hops.

T/M: mild grain, less adjunct-y than others. Bit of hops in the finish, and less watery than other macros. Refreshing.

D: Designed to be consumed in mass quantities, and very appropriate for doing so.

3.13/5  rDev +4%

Good old PBR.
Pours a very pale straw with a small white head that has some retention, impressive for a macro.
Smells like a macro, grassy and cereal adjuncts.
Tastes slightly better than most macros, grassy and crisp, almost like a watered-down draft wheat beer.
This beer is very drinkable, until you realize the next morning that you drank 10 of them the previous night.
Not bad for how cheap it is, not bad at all.

2.25/5  rDev -25.2%

I know what the fuss is about (current hipness of retro-blue collar posturing) but I just don't know what the fuss is about. I've had this one in the 12 oz. can, the 12 oz. bottle, on draught, in a 24 oz. can, and in the 40 oz. I watch people pay three dollars a can for this in an affluent neighborhood bar that has fifteen good taps. I presume they are making their ironic social statement (though the true irony eludes them). Ok, so it's thin bodied , with a weird off-putting fruity cheap cereal flavor. The finish makes me want to drink a glass of water, and eat a handful of pretzel nuggets before switching to something better. Is there a time and place for this? Yes, but not here, not now.

3.91/5  rDev +29.9%

OH YEAH! 5-Star PBR! If PBR was a person I would give him/her a high-five every time I saw them.

Appearance:
Pale yellow with a surprisingly decent frothy white head. The beer is absolutely crystal clear.

Smell:
I'm not going to lie, the beer smells like my bathroom after a Friday night, stale and wheaty with just a touch of sour. Lets just look past this aspect and think of how cheap PBR is...

Taste and Mouthfeel:
It's crisp and slightly effervescent. It tastes like wet hay. There really isn't a whole lot of substance. I really want to say it tastes like yellow, hay, and water period but again think of the price... A mear sample of PBR won't leave you with a "bad" aftertaste but after about 14 PBRs you'll be praying to make out with a smoker for more reasons then taste alone...

Drinkability:
If you can show me a more accessible, drinkable, not necesarilly bad tasting beer than PBR then you too will get a high five. PBR stands as the absolute definition of a maintenance beer.

Bottom Line:
A beer for the long haul, even light weights find this beer in their hand no less than 10 times in an evening. Not the best macro lager I've ever had but it's a damn good one in my opinion.

3.39/5  rDev +12.6%

Very pale yellow body with about a finger of head that quickly dissipates. Smells malty with a hint of hop. Tastes Sweet and watery. Not really noticing any hops here. Reminds me in some ways of Molson Ice in its flavor. Becomes somewhat more flavorful as it warms, but still fairly watery. Very drinkable, though. And very cheap. I would say this beats anything the Big 3 make (yes, I know Miller makes it now). I’m sure it’s better on tap than from the 16 oz can I’m drinking.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company