Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,986 | Reviews: 1,691
2.82/5  rDev -3.8%

limp puny yellow, you can see the carbonation. meager white head. smell's a little off, and gets worse as the beer warms. not a good testament to the quality of the ingredients. some slight malt smells, yeast, grassy hops, overly ripe corn. tastes like harsh grains, a bit too much sugar, and a slight hop kick (more so than in the other common place macro lagers). drink it cold, drink it fast.

2.88/5  rDev -1.7%

Comparing it side by side with a budweiser.
Pours out a little darker but still clear. Foam is a little higher here than the bud but the bud has more bubbles rising up from the bottom.
Smell has to go to the PBR. It has a little more malty sweet nose.
Definatly can smell more yeast here on the PBR.
Taste is a little watery but the aftertaste is just a bit more pronounced than the bud. More sweet grain here. The bud is more watery.
Mouthfeel on both is not much, just clear water with a bit of beer bubbles.
I have been a bud drinker for a lot of years and was waiting for the right moment to try both side by side.
I wish there were sombody here to mix them up so I didn't know which was which.
I would have to give the PBR the slight edge here. Very slight though it might be.

2.25/5  rDev -23.2%

On tap on the WingShack in Farmville, Va.

Poured a lazy yellow and a weak head makes me wonder what I ordered.

Skunked smell. Weak malt and hops. Not very much to go on.

Crisp right off with some decent bubbles. Thin malts and hops in the taste again. Light bitterness. Alcohol hits the tongue when you get it warmed up. Weird dry feeling like sandpaper at the end. Something was in the glass I think, which says a LOT about Farmville, VA.

Not the best beer but passible on my scale. But hey you can't beat a pitcher on draft for four bucks on a friday night.

3.34/5  rDev +14%

served from a 12 oz can into a pint glass.

Clear,light golden color. 1'' white head dissapating quickly to a constant coating of foam.Some tiny bubbles stringing togeather rising to the top a bit of spotty lacing.

A very moderate aroma,very clean,a light sweet malt nose with a grainy,grassy smell. Not a overpowering aroma,by any means,but nothing offensive either.

Clean,sweet malt tastes,some grainy,grassy tastes,slightly tart.with a bit of bitterness. A very balanced taste,finishes clean with sweet maltiness and a slight tart bitterness. No off flavors or bad tastes a lot better than BMC.

Slightly cloying,smooth,a bit grainy,has some body to it not watery like a lot of Macro's.
The drinkability is great ,could drink this non stop on a hot summers days.
The best bang for the buck as far as Marco's go. Drank a lot of these beers in the days. Never turn one of these down. Go PBR! A classic Macro.

2.85/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured a bright golden yellow with typical white macro head.

Smell was light and grainy with a touch of corn sweetness.

Taste had a nice crisp light grassy hop quality slightly stronger than most American Macro's with a light grainy malt backbone.

Mouthfeel is light and thin.

Overall not a bad beer when options are limited.

2.58/5  rDev -11.9%

12 oz. can, served about as cold as possible without freezing. This is probably the first PBR I've ever actually poured. Clear light gold with about a third of a finger of white head that lasts about a minute - actually better than I expected - before fading into a thin crown on the top of the beer. Very fizzy.

Aroma is slightly sweet malts, with just a hint of grainy grassiness. No adjuncts to speak of, which is the sole reason I will take this over anything from BMC.

Sweetness and very grainy. Basic BMC macro-lager, but once again without the taste of adjuncts and a bit sweeter.

Very crisp, carbonated mouthfeel, and incredibly thin. But it is smooth, refreshing, and definitely not filling. This beer doesn't pretend to be anything it's not, and it is damned good considering it's counterparts. Definitely not one of my first choices, but I have yet to find anything that goes quite as well on a 100+ summer day or with a pizza, especially considering the price. That being said, you will rarely find my fridge without at least a 6-pack of PBR.

2.75/5  rDev -6.1%

A - Pours a fluffy head and actually retains longer than I thought it would have. Clear urine color with not much going on in the glass in terms of carbonation. No lace.

S - Smell is very faint but to me it smells a little bit like chlorine, minus the burn.

T - Light taste of corn and a little malt, slightly sweet.

M - Light and crisp.

D - This has always been my macro of choice.

2.97/5  rDev +1.4%

I was in the mood for some macro and went to score some BUD or Yuengling. Man-6 bucks a six pack really rubs me the wrong way. Dont get me wrong-I have tried Deus at $28 a bottle and a lot of other pricey beer but for a macro? Couldnt see it-and I love a good macro. Figured it was time for a PBR seeing as how I havnt had it since high school.

Pours a very pale straw color. One of the palest I have seen. Low aroma-sort of just says "beer". Rather bland and unimpressive flavor-lacks the crisp "snap" that I find in a BUD and others. Very 1 dimensional. Thin and watery body. As I said I love a good macro-theres a place and time for them in my book. I think I would grab a Strohs or Old Milwaukee first.

2.35/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear straw color, a bit yellow, had a decent whispy white head that dissipated as I poured it and left no lacing. The smell is of corn, grainy, a bit of sulfer. The taste is better, it has a some sweet malt notes to it, not too artficially sweet like other macros. The mouthfeel is watery, nicely carbonated. Another good cooler beer and this doesn't have that ick taste that other macros have which makes it quite drinkable.

2.92/5  rDev -0.3%

Sometimes you just need to slum a little, and when in Portland, OR this is the way to go. It's pours pretty yellow and normally that scares me, but it sort of works. Not much for a head. The smell and taste are rather standard for an American macro lager, but their not unpleasant. A bit bland and not too much of an aftertaste. It has be be cold though. The mouthfeel is a bit thin, but after a couple pints of the good stuff, this can maintain a pretty good buzz for hours. I'm still note sure why a Texan beer is so popular in Portland, what with all the craft breweries there, and it just doesn't drink the same anywhere else for me!

3.02/5  rDev +3.1%

I was rather suprised when I had PRb for the first time with an open mind. The fundamental features of it were pretty poor, such as no retention, no head, no lace, no smell. The look was a light coppery color, not that bad looking. The taste was a bit spicy with a hint of malts and hops well blended together. A very solid draft brew. Don't drink and review.

2.02/5  rDev -31.1%

This beer is clearly experiencing some sort of revival these days. And truth be told, there was a time when PBR in bottles would seem pretty exciting to me too. But my taste in beer has changed, and after reading Maureen Ogle's "Ambitious Brew," I now know that PBR didn't even win a blue ribbon at the 1893 Columbian Exposition! So we can say that the bloom is off this rose, and is evidenced in my impression of the beer itself.

It pours very nicely into my beer clean glass, with abundant head a very faint yellow color. But that's where my pleasant trip down memory lane ends. Aroma is bad...smells like malted corn, and not in a good way. Flavor is more appealing, with some maltiness and corn taste which is much less potent than the odor. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and I wouldn't call this very drinkable.

2.28/5  rDev -22.2%

I had to switch to PBR at the Paradise Rock Club in Boston when they ran out of Sam Adams. I was not very optomistic going into the first sip, and it tasted exactly as expected.

It is VERY bland. The color couldn't be paler and the taste couldn't be weaker. It goes down a bit sweet and leaves a bittersweet aftertaste.

The serving temperature wasn't ideal, it had been thrown on ice for maybe an hour or two. But I can't imagine this greatly affected the end result.

It's a punk rock beer. And it's cooler to order a PBR than a Coors Light. But don't expect to get much more flavor or satisfaction. I can appreciate why people like it, but it seems like a waste of time/money to ever drink this stuff when there is so much better out there. It serves a purpose for the financially struggling college kids and rock wannabes - but I'd rather have one or two good beers than a six-pack of swill.

4.28/5  rDev +46.1%

This beer is easy to drink and cheap to buy. I like this beer to drink when I'm playing cards with the guys. For taste it is some bitterness but not bad. It has a nice mouthfeel not grainy or anything like that. Smells like beer nothing fancy there. All in all its not that bad of a beer.

3.45/5  rDev +17.7%

Looks like beer.... smells like beer.... nothing special there. tastes better than any of the big boy beers "bud, coors, miller, etc." and is usually cheaper to boot. I would not go around preaching its virtues but a great beer for playing drinking games as it is easy to pound and does not leave me felling like a $2 wh%#& after doing so.

3.59/5  rDev +22.5%

Quite pale and transparant. Piss yellow. Clear. Thin ivory white head. Lacing is minimal. Nice nose on this beer for the style. Grainy and sweet. That's a given. But also some light bready malts and hay like tones in the background. Crisp and somewhat agressive carbonation. Light to light-medium in body. Sweet, grainy tones hit the palate first. Agreeable maltiness. Not a lot of depth, but a decent macro. And a good enough quencher in the summer.

3.5/5  rDev +19.5%

poured, for sake of review only, from its 16 ounce aluminum housing.

Ephemeral head is airy and alabaster in exhibition. The bouquet manifests hygienic with an ethereally nectareous character. Unsubstantially toothsome flavor is non-amalgamated to an acrid and musty sapidity. Mouthfeel is coarse yet gossamery. Speckless terminus initiates further suppings.

2.35/5  rDev -19.8%

Tried this on tap... not sure why. Beer was a clear yellow golden color with a one finger bubbly head. Smell is slighlty sweet of malt and corn. Beer is initially bitter but finishes with a malty crisp finish. A light mouthfeel with lots of carbonation. Drinkable like water, very light.

3.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a 12oz. can that was about 40F in temperature into a 14oz room temperature (70F) Pilsner glass.

After pouring the beer appeared deep yellow to golden with active carbination originating from the lower quarter of the glass but not quite from the very bottom. The beverage was very clear, pale to almost white near the sides of the glass while yellow to golden near center. A whisp of a head was present right after pouring and completely disappeared within moments.

The beverage has a slight bitter smell leaning towards a mix of fresh cut grass and sweet corn.

The beverage tastes like there is a bitter cusp of spruce or pine needles that gives way to a course, highly carbinated pang of alcohol. After the carbination expends itself the beverage becomes very watery and light.

I find it easy to drink and that is why it is my cheap, working around the house turning wrenches, just finished cleaning, returned from mountain biking garage and basement beer.

2.95/5  rDev +0.7%

Got the PBR on-tap at Skipper's in Athens, OH.

I've had this beer many times before, this is my first review, however.

Appearance: yellow with a thin white head; not too impressive looking
Smell: skunky cereal smell; typicaly macro smell
Taste: slight malt presence; skunky presence; I'll give them a 3 though becuase this is one of the best macro lagers I've had
Mouthfeel: light bodied, could definitely have a few in a night
Drinkability: good

2.12/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured an EXTREMELY pale straw color with a soda-like head that fizzed away momentarily. Zero lacing.

Smell is of light grain and corn...maybe a tad bit of hop spiciness.

Taste is of corn, very light grains, very light weak hops. Not much to speak of. Had a weird aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very watery and heavy on the carbonation, ala soda.

I guess it's drinkable...but why would I want to go for one of these if I can go for a rich, full of character, craft brew?

Overall, this beer is in the same boat as Budweiser. Very similiar to each other. It is what it is....an American Macro Lager.

2.74/5  rDev -6.5%

st: Poured from a patriotic red, White & Blue can

a: Light piss yellow

S: Typical american lager smell

T: not too bad but you pay the price the next day!!!

M: Weak...very weak!!!!

D: refreshing on a hot day...but again,..you pay the price on the porcelin pony the next day!!!

3.67/5  rDev +25.3%

pabst is an old stand by. for the price it can't be beat. it ties schlitz for my american macro number one. super smooth. it's definitly way too easy to put a bunch of these boys away. nothing spectactular. but absolutly no off flavors, smooth pure watery american goodness. pbr is where it's at when the money is tight and drinking is in order. great with spicy foods and bbq. always in my fridge for those sundays off.

3.08/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served to me in a can with a dirty glass at "The Woods" Tavern in Priest Lake, Idaho. If you're ever in Priest Lake and there's nothing else open except "The Woods" I would suggest going for a hike or kayaking or something.

Pours piss yellow with a white head and lots of pretty bubbles.

Smells like CO2 with some traces of malt sweetness.

I can really appreciate the way this beer tastes. It has very little in the way of hop flavor or any flavor at all for that matter but there is also very little about the tast not to be liked. This washed down the disgusting pizza I was eating very well and the easy-on-the-palate taste makes it an ideal session beverage. If you have to choose between PBR and any other macro. Choose PBR.

3.2/5  rDev +9.2%

Having heard mainly negative things about this beer, thought I should at least give it a try while in the States! Poured pale gold, fair head that lasted, though aroma very weak and pale - like the colour - and hardly inspiring. Taste is mainly thin malty and slightly sweet as distinct to some other Maco lagers, and not a lot in it to make you actively dislike it, but nothing to grab your attention either. However, it is easy to drink and thirst quenching on a hot day, so if it were the only beer available I would not refuse it, though could imagine many others I would prefer! If it were between that and Bud, think I would have the Pabst!

cheers

JohnW
B'ham UK (written while in Florida Nov 2006)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company