Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Avg: 3
pDev: 44%
Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,607 | Hads: 5,086
3.25/5  rDev +8.3%

This is one of the best mass produced beers I have run across. I prefer it to many of the others in it's class. I feel it packs more flavor and color then many of it's competitors. It pours a nice yellow and has a faint citrus taste to go along with it.

2.87/5  rDev -4.3%

clear to watery and brownish. corny malt odor is weak and watery smelling. taste is ok for its type. regular old macro flavor. sweet, grassy, corny, some malt taste evident. kind of watery but pretty drinkable overall. tastes like dave's party pants.

3.34/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer pours a very clear golden yellow with a thick fluffy white head. The smell is sort of fruity or grainy. The taste is a little sweet up front, but not cloying. Definitely a good choice if you're going macro. Clean, crisp taste not bad compared to the competition.

3.63/5  rDev +21%

Listen--this isn't a great beer. BUT, it is the best of its breed. American Macro Lagers are expected to be light-colored and virtually flavorless, with little-to-no hop aroma. And this dive-bar classic does it without making you feel like you're drinking a Men's-Room Special. The body is slightly more full, more malt-driven than your Bud or Miller varieties, and it delivers a surprisingly complex (albeit slight), clean, almost-citrus like finsh that at least gives you some indication that you've just taken a sip of something other than water. Add in the nostalgia factor (which is no small part) and you're looking at a classic American brew that definitely has a time and a place to be enjoyed. Appreciate it for what it is, my friends.

2.51/5  rDev -16.3%

Don't let retro lovers convince you that this is a good beer. Sure it may be cleaner tasting than Bud, but it is still a macro adjunct lager. So speaking of adjuncts, aroma is of sour corn mash and yeast. Pours a nice golden color, brilliant to the light. For a macro, nice amount of hops bitterness, zero hop aroma. Fairly light bodied for a non light beer.

2.2/5  rDev -26.7%

Very bright clear yellow, watery thin and no hop aroma nor much malt either, very grainy in aroma and in flavor, yet this grain isn't real strong so you can power tons of this stuff. It is difficult to write two hundred and fifty characters to describe a beer that has nothing really going on other than the fact it makes you pee and make you look studly because you cam power a case and still operate a lawn mower...hence the name lawnmower beer

2.57/5  rDev -14.3%

88 cents for a pint can, not bad price for macro stuff. Pours a piss yellow, smells quite grainy and sweet. Tastes sweet with an unusual citrusy flavor but it's kind of weak. Mouthfeel is watery as normal for macros i've had. Very drinkable as this is supposed to be for a mass market. It won't win any awards except best in redneck category!!

3.3/5  rDev +10%

The beer pours a pale yellow, about average for a macro lager. It smells grainy, not much more than that. Tastes similar to the smell, a mild grainy maltiness, with a small but noticable amount of hops. PBR goes down easy enough, and at $48 for a 1/2 barrel, its the perfect beer for a college party. I would still take it over most macros, given the choice.

2.23/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured a pale yellow hue, with soapy head. The smell was somewhat unpleasant, with an almost malt liquor type character.

The taste was sour sweet with a very light malt character.

The aftertaste is too much to handle, so I suggest drinking alot of it fast to dull your senses.

As we all know, this beer has seen a resurgance with the trendy emo crowd over the last few years. I was fiirst introduced to it in college. It is very cheap, and as far as cheap crappy beers go, this is my favorite.

At the bar where I reviewed this, the PBR was three bucks a pitcher, hence, the reason I drank it. Though, I do usually get a bad hangover after drinking alot of this stuff, I still consider it my favorite macro.

2.16/5  rDev -28%

Oh boy. What can I say. Basic yellow color, no head to speak of. Smells and tastes like cheap malt with almost zero hops. Mouthfeel is kinda crisp, but not really. Why did I bother to review it? I'll tell you why. I drink it almost every sunday, for a buck, served from the tap in a PBR goblet no less (which i find totally hysterical), with my chicken dinner at the tavern. And despite the fact that it sucks, I enjoy it every time.

2.43/5  rDev -19%

A - Deep straw yellow with a two finger white head that dissipates into nothing in seconds. Some light bubbling is visible.

S - Slight grass, cooked squash, corn and a stale grain odor (likely rice).

T - Initially a strong rice malt with notes of sweet corn. Nothing too offensive, but definitely nothing good.

M - Thin, carbonation way too high, yet refreshing.

D - Mild flavor, easy to drink. Absurdly easy to session. I would pick other beers over PBR for food choices though.

3.4/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a pint glass. This beer is almost always drank out of the can and sometimes the bottle. The appearance is a slightly SLIGHTLY darker straw color. The head is there for a second and quickly turns into a collar. If you pour agressively it's usually a bit impressive looking. The smell - is just normal APA beer which is still good to me as a smell - that's what we're going for here. The taste is a bit of dull malts with a slightly crisp hop finish. ( still good) The mouthfeel is sticky. Drinkability is quite good as long as you don't get tired of it and want something high-brow.

2.74/5  rDev -8.7%

I lived off of this beer back in the college days, long before the Hipster Doofus' turned this into the "cool" beer.

A typical American lager, not much of an aroma, pours a crisp clear yellowish/gold color with a soapy head. Nothing surprising in the taste, not sweet like typical corn beers.

Not my fantasy island beer but if I HAD to drink this, I wouldn't complain.

1.87/5  rDev -37.7%

Alright, so I was out with friends and P.B.R. was on special (allegedly, it turned out it wasn't and my friend got screwed). So someone bought a bottle for me, and I decided to use the opportunity to review this 'fine American' Macro. Wasn't surprised in any way.

Pours a clear color, with a tinge of yellow. Is this water in a brown bottle with a red, white and blue label??

Smells like corn and little else. Boring.

Tastes watery, with a bit of corn presence. A bit bitter, somewhat different from what I expected. Not enough to make it very good though.

In the mouth, it does have a bit of a presence. Not as light as I thought it might be. Again some bitterness with a slight kick.

Overall, what can I say? It's a macro and cheap and not very good. One could probably easily chug a whole bunch of these. There would be no true beer appreciation, though. Next time someone offers, I'll pass.

3.15/5  rDev +5%

I was at the supermarket one day, and I was looking over a fairly wide selection of beers. I had very little money on me, so I bought the cheapest beer, which was this. The 12 pack was on sale.

It pours out a nice yellow that's a bit darker than other cheap beers. The head it big when you pour it out, but subsides quickly like a soda. Smells like honey and plastic. The taste isn't so bad. It's malty with a bit of a sugary aftertaste. The hops don't really make a prescence.

The mouthfeel is really, really bad. Too many bubbles. Once you drink some of the beer, your mouth dries up immediately, which forces you to take another swig.

The drinkinkability is quite good considering all of the above. It does quench some thirst, believe me. Will I buy this beer again? Well, hopefully, it'll be just as cheap as last time.

3.3/5  rDev +10%

I read a review on this site earlier that I would like to concur with in regards to PBR. If you take this beer for what it is, a cheap(sub 6 bones a twelve) macro, and compare it with similarly styled beers, PBR is definately one of the better ones.

Smells about like you would expect from a beer like this, a little hoppy and malty. Pours a pale yellow with a little lacing that tries its best to cling to my favorite frozen mug. The area that I think puts PBR above other like beers is its flavor. PBR, to me, seems to have a different pleasant flavor, mid taste to it than other similar beers.

No offensive aftertaste or foul odors associated with it. Definately not the king of the expensive beer heap, but hey, noone ever said that it was trying to be. Definately not a first choice selection, but as an everyday regular or session beer, not too bad.

Overall a pretty good beer based on what it is, definately better than anything spat out by the big 3. And for those who want to turn their nose up at you for drinking an "old mans beer", go look in the mirror, you're getting old like he was. If it was good enough for Grandpa, its good enough for me, PBR me ASAP!

2.92/5  rDev -2.7%

Well what do you do when you are in a bar with nothing good on tap and you will be there for a few hours with company folk. Drink PBR on tap and seem cooler than everyone else that is having Coors light out of the bottle. It looks good like a golden ale and is darker than I remember, nice white head with mild staying power and even some lace. Well I wish I hadn't given up smoking as it smells like corn and reminds me instatnly of beer drinking days of yore. It doesn't taste half bad, corny and sweet with some bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is decent if a little slimy, I know slimy sounds bad but that is the only way I can desrcibe it. I had four pints in the hour+ we were there.

2.38/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My fathers beer. Better than Bud and has a great look in your hand. Had my first one probably 45 years ago.

Smell-very little.

Taste-hits the spot on a hot day. Crisp, clean, bubbly. Thats about it.

Mouthfeel-not bad

Drinkability-I have to have one every once in awhile , especially during a Red Sox game while eating peanuts. Not cashews, peanuts. Or State Line potato chips. Then it works. It more of a ceremonial beer than a regular drinker.

2.22/5  rDev -26%

Pours a fizzy straw yellow with a moderate head which very quickly subsides... looks about like every other macro I've ever drank.

There is a strong smell of malt, which surprised me. Not much else.... corn... etc.

The taste is pretty much like the smell, only with less malt and more corn... bleh.

Huge carbonation in the mouth, with a slightly more robust mouthfeel than the BMC's.

Not much to say about this brew... better than BMC for the most part, but still not good by any stretch of the imagination.

2.7/5  rDev -10%

Here in Nashville this is the favorite drink of punk rockers and other "hipsters" and in my opinion is a pretty trendy beer. For this reason I've avoided drinking it as I really wasn't expecting much. However, I saw a 24oz can in a gas station yesterday for $1.09 and decided to see what this beer is all about.

appearance = had this in a can, so no idea.

smell = average smell of macro piss beer

taste = actually tastes ok with very little aftertaste

mouthfeel = watery and highly carbonated

drinkability = it's palatable but will give me hangovers if I drink more than 2 or 3

3.08/5  rDev +2.7%

Hmm, this is a macro I'm not too familiar with. You can get this in pretty much any liquor store around here, but no way I'm cluttering up my fridge with 6 bottles of something that's not supposed to be good, and bars just don't have this on tap in my experience. Anyway, there's a bowling alley near me that does and I tried this on a whim not too long ago. I have to say this is definately decent. Everything about it is pretty macro-standard but not in a bad way. The appearance is a sort of gold-yellow. Macro standard, but the better kind of macro standard at least. Head is thin, but I found it creamy, while it lasted at least. No lacing was visible, but then again this was in a plastic cup (that's what you get in a bowling alley). Taste was fine. I found it quite sweet up front with some very mild bitterness in the finish. There was some adjunct grain but at least it was corn and not rice. Mouthfeel was like any other macro, but its not overcarbonated. Drinkability is fine so far as I know. But I only had one and when you're going with a beer with the sort of rep this one has, I think several would be a good idea before you pronounce the drinkability great. But anyway for now this has replaced Highlife as my reccomended cheap beer. Granted I also don't know how this tastes in a can or a bottle which would be interesting. But unless I'm hosting a whole bunch of friends on a budget(or visiting someone else who is) I won't be finding out right away. Anyway this is a decent beer for its category. Better than MGD, less likely to produce comments about skunk or paint than Rolling Rock (I've never had that problem, but I know lots of other people complain about it), and way cheaper than Labatt Blue or Stella.

3.05/5  rDev +1.7%

I was at the beer store today and picked up some quality to welcome the New Year in style. I had Allagash, Young's, Sam Smith's and was headed to the register when I saw this awesome 22 of PBR for .99. I had to have it and figured I'd slum it a bit before the ball drops.
This American college classic pours clear, overcarbonated and mostly headless into my pint glass. The color is pale straw and the nose is corn and adjuncts with a hop backround.
The taste is crisp and has some decent hop characteistics and a slightly dry, bitter finish. It's clearly a macro but not in a bad way..more like a comfortable old pair of shoes. If you don't know what this is, go get some, but I don't think there are too many BA's who don't know PBR.

3.2/5  rDev +6.7%

Rediscovered this old friend on tap at a new local BBQ place and I have been enjoying it in cans with BBQ since. Average american canned lager that somehow tastes better then Bud or Miller. Maybe it is just warm memories of my good old high school days.

4.22/5  rDev +40.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Re-reviewing to review it relative to style:

I think that this is one of the vest best American Macro Lagers. Thus, my high score represents this fact. In other words, because I give it a 4+, that doesn't mean it is comparable to other beers that I have rated 4+. It ain't St. Bernardus, but it ain't Corona Light either.

Regardless, I do like this beer a good deal. The taste has hints of corn, malt, and hops. I like the nutty taste that I get in the finish. It definitely refreshing. This is a very decent beer, and a very good value. A 30 pack costs around 15 and a pint rarely more than $2 at the bars I frequent.

2.94/5  rDev -2%

This beer was tasted in a Pilsner Glass from a can.

The beer pours a golden color with a thick white head that dissapated quickly and does not lace. The smell is dominated by corn but there is some bitterness. The taste is just a little bland. Kind of your average beer taste. The is good carbonation and thickness. Its a decent beer to just sit around and drink.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company